Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > General Statue & Collectible

Old Today, 06:11 PM   #161
Irenicus
The Spirit

Yeah, Basquiat and the Witcher (ES of only 500) are still sitting there.

I do feel JND is a personal passion project from the CEOs and they will last. A solution is maybe outsource the sculpt to the artists Hobbyist posted for individual projects and pay a comission, instead of having a in-house group.
Irenicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 06:16 PM   #162
God
Fantastic Four
Adamantium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silas Loki View Post
I have a sinking feeling that JND won't last much longer.....which is a shame. Even if the company is running on trust fund financing and good will, a company can only limp along so long before the losses start to hurt.

It's rather telling how the highly hyped 1/6 line has vanished as quickly as it appeared, and while I have all the respect in the world for the artists at JND, it's becoming increasingly evident that they're not up to the standard we see from other companies (Blitzway, Queen, Infinity)..... add in audacious pricing and you've got a company going into a flat spin.
I don't think it's that dire. I can see them being around long term, but there will be challenges if they continue to pursue the same movie IPs as their competitors and produce a worse likeness for their price point. Blitzway vs their John Wick being a strong example.

They've still had some good sales that we can see such as their Reeve Superman, Indiana Jones, Returns Catwoman, and Justice League Wonder Woman for example.

If they continue to pursue actor based licenses that are competitive, then they'll definitely have to level up likeness with Blitzway, Infinity, and Queen fighting for the top spot

But they still have stuff like Berserk coming, which is known to be a hot seller. If they can start pushing more on IPs like that, then I'm sure they'll be alright.
God is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 06:32 PM   #163
Silas Loki
A.I.M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by God View Post
I don't think it's that dire. I can see them being around long term, but there will be challenges if they continue to pursue the same movie IPs as their competitors and produce a worse likeness for their price point. Blitzway vs their John Wick being a strong example.

They've still had some good sales that we can see such as their Reeve Superman, Indiana Jones, Returns Catwoman, and Justice League Wonder Woman for example.

If they continue to pursue actor based licenses that are competitive, then they'll definitely have to level up likeness with Blitzway, Infinity, and Queen fighting for the top spot

But they still have stuff like Berserk coming, which is known to be a hot seller. If they can start pushing more on IPs like that, then I'm sure they'll be alright.
Well.......of course I'm speculating here, but when we discuss "good sales" - we should consider the whole picture. "Sold Out" - for JND means they have allocated their available stocks, and they have no more to supply - which is great for them - BUT, as we all know, it doesn't mean the products aren't available through retailers.....I think it's also fair to assume that the "people" buying the bulk of the edition size is those retailers.

So, that's where I see the biggest issues arising....what happens when the retailers lose confidence and stop buying? We've already seen multiple repeat pre order Windows for both of JND's Superman pieces, and I have no doubt we'll see similar repeat pre-orders for upcoming pieces as they hit their delivery Windows.....as retailers realise that it's better to take the penalties of cancelling the pre order, then to have these statues sitting in their warehouses indefinitely, or until they discount them and start to eat into their profit margins......either option isn't sustainable.

Forget collectors tapping out, the real issue is when retailers start tapping out.....and unfortunately, this is already happening.
Silas Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 07:01 PM   #164
God
Fantastic Four
Adamantium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silas Loki View Post
Well.......of course I'm speculating here, but when we discuss "good sales" - we should consider the whole picture. "Sold Out" - for JND means they have allocated their available stocks, and they have no more to supply - which is great for them - BUT, as we all know, it doesn't mean the products aren't available through retailers.....I think it's also fair to assume that the "people" buying the bulk of the edition size is those retailers.

So, that's where I see the biggest issues arising....what happens when the retailers lose confidence and stop buying? We've already seen multiple repeat pre order Windows for both of JND's Superman pieces, and I have no doubt we'll see similar repeat pre-orders for upcoming pieces as they hit their delivery Windows.....as retailers realise that it's better to take the penalties of cancelling the pre order, then to have these statues sitting in their warehouses indefinitely, or until they discount them and start to eat into their profit margins......either option isn't sustainable.

Forget collectors tapping out, the real issue is when retailers start tapping out.....and unfortunately, this is already happening.
Right, pretty much all of those seem to be either unavailable or low stock at the retailers (ex: Comic Concepts, Big Bad Toy Store). I imagine that's probably a good sign.

I would think before it gets that bad for retailers to lose confidence, JND would likely reduce edition sizes to keep interest. I did notice John Wick has a TBD edition size, so I'm wondering if they're moving to a made to order style to set their edition sizes.

Beyond that, I think JND would have to either do something quite bad, or the market would have to turn down enough for it to get that ugly.
God is online now   Reply With Quote