Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > General Statue & Collectible

Old 03-30-2024, 12:49 PM   #41
Hobbyist
The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westhelle View Post
We all are going to be jailbrothers.
Hobbyist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2024, 11:18 PM   #42
cigaro
Justice League

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigcliff1 View Post
Ant Adams talked about how he noticed and been told that LICENSORS had it with all this.
he stated people are arrested
I remember what 07-08 I noticed MYC statues and thought, they allow this
I 'D think don't order
also stated they are arresting buyers
Arresting buyers
cigaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2024, 07:48 AM   #43
solidgadium
Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDguy View Post
That made me chuckle...
My earliest memory of a Dragon Ball custom at a comic book store in Miami was back in 1999, these will live on forever.
solidgadium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2024, 10:38 AM   #44
NorthernLadMSP
Jedi Order

I think it's funny that this is being brought up by Ant at PCS, who has already copied specific pieces of other artists work for their statues, and NEVER GIVEN THAT ARTIST CREDIT. Hypocritical much?
NorthernLadMSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2024, 12:16 PM   #45
PivotRyder
42.7 percent of all statistics are made up on the spot.

I'm glad they are, they have no right to the properties and punishes those going through the correct channels. Down with Customs!
PivotRyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2024, 12:52 PM   #46
Augen
Green Arrow

I think if companies feel threatened they could look toward the custom market to see what they could learn.

In many cases we are talking about statues with an ES of 20-60 range. Folks want these obscure characters or designs they'd never get elsewhere.
This market doesn't make sense for a Sideshow to pursue.
Augen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2024, 10:51 PM   #47
azurepred
Green Lantern Corps

Quote:
Originally Posted by PivotRyder View Post
I'm glad they are, they have no right to the properties and punishes those going through the correct channels. Down with Customs!
Lol, it will never happen. Customs aren?t going anywhere, ever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augen View Post
I think if companies feel threatened they could look toward the custom market to see what they could learn.

In many cases we are talking about statues with an ES of 20-60 range. Folks want these obscure characters or designs they'd never get elsewhere.
This market doesn't make sense for a Sideshow to pursue.
Yep, customs also allow more violence to be put into the design. Hell, SS can?t even get Wolvie to have a stogie.
azurepred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2024, 02:15 AM   #48
dao2
Cyclops

Quote:
Originally Posted by PivotRyder View Post
Statue companies also have no right showing a piece then producing an inferior one when it comes time to deliver. My sympathies are small. If they delivered on their promises. Didn't reissue sold out pieces, replaced stuff appropriately, and just in general didn't ---- over customers I might give a ----. Every company does some stuff that's not exactly legal, but they do it cause they can get away with it.
dao2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2024, 02:34 AM   #49
Phoenixblazes
Shazam

Quote:
Originally Posted by azurepred View Post
Lol, it will never happen. Customs aren’t going anywhere, ever.

Yep, customs also allow more violence to be put into the design. Hell, SS can’t even get Wolvie to have a stogie.
Well we don’t need Wolvie to rub it in our faces that he can smoke all he wants and not get lung cancer, now do we. Not everyone has an advanced healing factor
Phoenixblazes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2024, 02:39 AM   #50
DiscoCougar
The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.

Here's a very true fact about collecting anything in general - I'm not getting any younger. So, when I see, for instance, Sideshow teasing a Mara Jade statue based on Adam Hughes art from around ~15 years ago that never got to see the light of day, and never will now that idiot new owners are strangling the franchise with their own terrible edicts, then I'm absolutely going to "break the law" and buy a bootleg that satisfies my wants. And I'm not a person who just sits around wanting something while never finding a way to get it. I'm gonna look at statue customizers, bootleg groups, and even older statues that don't have today's "technology" of paints and 3D sculpts to hopefully find what I want. But even then, there's no guarantee that I can get anything. Customizers might not be talented enough, bootleg groups might not be interested in making what I want (let alone talented enough), and there might not be any older statues in existence. But to not attempt to get something I'm being denied in any way I can, and then to let it fester in my mind for years and years, is a pathetic way to live, imo.

And that's kinda where you gotta exist in the world. Ant can threaten legal stuff, and there can be other customers/collectors out there who agree that "the scourge of evil bootleggers" should all be in jail. But I accept that I'm breaking the law, and I accept that I'm taking a risk every time I do because I know I'm not breaking someone else's livelihood if I succeed. So, if Ant, or anyone else out there, doesn't want me to buy what I want because it isn't available from him or some other official entity, then they gotta step up their game and make better products. Stop making the same characters. Stop ignoring other characters. Stop making mediocre products in general. And if they won't make better products and just want to see people like me punished for my evil deeds for taking matters in to my own hands, then so be it. But good luck with your attempts at becoming a bigger business because you got evil bootleggers like me in trouble.

I've been a statue collector for more than two decades now, and I know how to collect what I want. And it's because of those two decades of "official companies" refusing to give me what I want that I've learned what to do - along with a whole lot of other collector's who refuse to wait decades to see what they want made. And let's be honest - even bootleg companies don't give us bootleggers what we want 100% of the time. Yet, they at least are willing to listen and alter their ideas to come close to giving us what we want while official companies are always prone to turning a deaf ear.

So, if you don't want to play to your customers wants and can only threaten them because your company won't/can't do what they ask for, then you're in the wrong business and in you're in the wrong fandom.
DiscoCougar is offline   Reply With Quote