Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > Prime 1 Studio

Old 04-04-2024, 04:24 PM   #651
csutkakoma
Sinister Six

I think it turned out just as good as the Jungle Hunter. Very nice overall!
csutkakoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2024, 06:46 PM   #652
Dundee
Hydra

The FS statue masked portrait looks fine. Need more pics of roaring and unmasked portraits. Its only the closed mouth bust that I'm not entirely confident about the tone of the decals. Still a great looking piece, a shame the base and statue look like their melded together with zero contrast.
Dundee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2024, 09:43 PM   #653
dao2
Cyclops

Yes the masked looks great, the bust head is a bit of a letdown, glad I didn't order it.
dao2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2024, 07:18 PM   #654
Blade3327
Nightwing

Bust #5/200 checking in.

Thankfully no broken quills, but these are definitely stiffer and straighter than the ones on the Jungle Hunter. A bag of spares was included.

The stripe pattern on the forehead is a redder brown than the rest of the portrait and there is an abrupt transition at the very top (last photo). It's bizarre, considering that the entire head appears to be stenciled. Not sure why they didn't color match or at least design a smooth transition.

The dread beads and armor look fantastic, love the various golds and coppers. I'm particularly impressed with the plasmacaster, it's got an especially fiery finish that catches the eye. The body paint app looks to be the same quality as the Jungle Hunter, no complaints there.

Suit-accurate gray netting with more slack in the string, this kind of attention to detail is wonderful to see. I've always been a stickler about netting and it's cheapened many a Predator collectible, but Prime 1 got it right.

All in all, I'm happy with this one. Glad I sprang for the bust and not the full statue as this scratches the P2 itch plenty. My only gripe is that they didn't use the redder brown from the forehead on the rest of the portrait and body. We could've avoided that nasty color transition and improved the accuracy as well -- I think the City Hunter's stripes are a lot more reddish than most companies realize.

If anyone wants to sell me their masked portrait, don't hesitate to hit me up. I'd love to have both and would pay handsomely for the option.

Some quick phone pics. Will break out the DSLR for a shoot with the Jungle Hunter bust later.

Blade3327 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2024, 06:23 AM   #655
Halcyon
Loki

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blade3327 View Post
Bust #5/200 checking in.

Thankfully no broken quills, but these are definitely stiffer and straighter than the ones on the Jungle Hunter. A bag of spares was included.

etc

Congrats looking good imo.

At least your brown below eyes is not going up to his upperlip. Like the one from HauntOfTheCollector.
Maybe you can add some small black lines/pattern to make that transition a little less noticeable.

Prime1 design, the quills and colors for this 1:3 are exactly the same as their 1:4 wallart version (only bit more gloss to bake everything in).
Halcyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2024, 10:44 AM   #656
Python
Omega Red

Quote:
Some shots that may not have been shared here yet:
Quote:
Originally Posted by dao2 View Post

More masked shots...

Just curious, Am I the only one not seeing any images here? Seems to happen a lot on this forum. I use Firefox, but I opened up chrome to try and still nothing.
Python is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2024, 11:04 AM   #657
Halcyon
Loki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Python View Post
Just curious, Am I the only one not seeing any images here? Seems to happen a lot on this forum. I use Firefox, but I opened up chrome to try and still nothing.
Direct-Link to images is prob not there anymore (i did not see them either). Blades pictures are nice.
Halcyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2024, 11:08 AM   #658
Python
Omega Red

Quote:
Bust #5/200 checking in.
Congratulations, glad you're happy. How do you think it compares to the JH bust? I have $125 credit at SC that I probably won't use any time soon, I'm half tempted to message and see if he can still get these. I love the JH bust, this might compliment it well. I need to sell off my Sidehow LSB's actually....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halcyon View Post
Direct-Link to images is prob not there anymore (i did not see them either). Blades pictures are nice.
Ahh, not just me then, thank you.
Python is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2024, 12:46 PM   #659
dao2
Cyclops

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halcyon View Post
Yeah that is the case, they stop them from working pretty quick. I was hoping that there would be new pics by now :P
dao2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2024, 09:21 PM   #660
Blade3327
Nightwing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Python View Post
Congratulations, glad you're happy. How do you think it compares to the JH bust?
It doesn't feel as essential as the JH, so I'm glad it costs less. The JH bust, much like the full statue, is better conceived all around. Great pose, good amount of torso showing, and he's got the trophies which add interest. The CH bust has less going on in terms of accessories and the extra bit of belly raises his height above the JH, yet there's nothing of interest to justify that canvas. One thing that would help the CH pop more is a redder brown for the skin patterns to help separate them from the brown base tones of the armor. As for the pose, I don't mind it much as I believe these busts look more dynamic displayed at an angle anyway.

I think the CH bust and statue are great pieces on their own and they're certainly among the best mass-produced representations of the character, but when put next to their JH counterparts, the shortcomings become noticeable. Both were done with the same techniques, but those techniques were better suited to the JH's spots than the CH's solid stripes.

This all comes after going through the piece with a fine-toothed comb and voicing every minor gripe and anal-retentive thought in order to be as thorough as possible. It's worth noting that while I do notice these things, I don't think about them much when I'm simply in the room, enjoying the bust in my day-to-day. We've been spoiled by unusually stellar and abundant AVP stuff lately so there's a lot to compare it with. While this isn't the strongest offering in the lineup, the lineup has been remarkable and this is certainly a part of it.

Took some photos with the DSLR.

Blade3327 is online now   Reply With Quote