Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Movies / TV / DVD / Music

Old 08-30-2023, 08:34 AM   #29481
Mister H
Youngblood

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Knight View Post
It is not mistreatment, it is military training that turns a harmless guy who wouldn't even hurt an ant into a blood thirsty monster. Full Metal Jacket is the most brilliant anti-militarist film, i have ever watched. 10/10 I wish i had a chance to see it in theathers.
I would say Kubrick made more of an anti war movie than an anti militarist movie. I don't get the feeling he "dislikes" the military in general. He focuses on the human psyche. He shows the horrors that man can do to man but also there are the good/better/less bad choices people can make when they are in a bad situation.
Mister H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2023, 08:48 AM   #29482
SONICobra
Batman

the flash - 4/10

not enough to like for me, keaton was cool but i really dislike this suit they gave him. horrible, terrible, really bad cgi, a major downgrade from the story it was based on, i have never liked miller as flash although his barry seemed more tolerable but only after his more obnoxious self was introduced. i gave it a shot but not for me
SONICobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2023, 10:29 AM   #29483
protector2814
Phoenix

The Flash - 6.5/10 - I kind of liked it. I much more prefer actual comics over comic-movies & this almost felt like a comic book. I'm not sure why WB just didn't go with the actual Flashpoint story instead of just bastardizing it. They really should of. Why waste the Reverse Flash?
Still, the 1st 2 seasons of CW's Flash tv show was a much better Flash on screen tale.
protector2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2023, 10:34 AM   #29484
The Dark Knight
Jubilee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister H View Post
I would say Kubrick made more of an anti war movie than an anti militarist movie. I don't get the feeling he "dislikes" the military in general. He focuses on the human psyche. He shows the horrors that man can do to man but also there are the good/better/less bad choices people can make when they are in a bad situation.
I don't think there is any difference between anti war or anti militarist. Soldiers make war, if you are against war, you are against soldiers. You are anti militarist or anti war, they are synonyms. I myself have pretty messed up love&hate relationship with militarism anyway... lol My father is a retired soldier. lol
The Dark Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2023, 10:37 AM   #29485
Mister H
Youngblood

Quote:
I don't think there is any difference between anti war or anti militarist. Soldires make war, if you are against war, you are anti militarist or anti war, they are synonyms.
Soldiers aren't the ones who make war. People with money and influence make them. Soldiers only do what they are told to do. I think that may be why Kubrick chose to focus on the soldiers in this movie instead of "makers" of war. Soldiers are the ones who do the dirty work and they also suffer from it, they die just like anyone else. This is where I'll leave it, enough of the heavy stuff for now.
Old 08-30-2023, 10:41 AM   #29486
The Watcher
Loki

Quote:
Soldiers aren't the ones who make war. People with money and influence make them. Soldiers only do what they are told to do.
True.

I retired from the military after 20 years.
The Watcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2023, 10:42 AM   #29487
The Dark Knight
Jubilee

Quote:
Soldiers aren't the ones who make war. People with money and influence make them. Soldiers only do what they are told to do.
And how do the people with money and influence make war without soldiers ? no soldiers, no war. Soldiers are not the part of the solution, they are the part of the problem in my book. A big part.
Old 08-30-2023, 10:45 AM   #29488
Mister H
Youngblood

Quote:
And how are the people with money and influence make war without soldiers ? no soldiers, no war. Soldiers are not the part of the solution, they are the part of the problem in my book. A big part.
It would be a hell of a world to live in without any form of military presence. Like it or not, militaries are essential for any country. They also do a lot of good things. It's how they are used that makes the difference.
Old 08-30-2023, 10:50 AM   #29489
The Dark Knight
Jubilee

Quote:
It would be a hell of a world to live in without any form of military presence. Like it or not, militaries are essential for any country. They also do a lot of good things. It's how they are used that makes the difference.
No, i don't believe militaries do any good. Wars don't have any winners. You can't build anything good or lasting over corpses of people. I think we took the thread way out of context... lol
Old 08-30-2023, 11:03 AM   #29490
Mister H
Youngblood

Quote:
No, i don't believe militaries do any good. Wars don't have any winners. You can't build anything good or lasting over corpses of people. I think we took the thread way out of context... lol
Nah, we just discussed the meaning of a movie that was reviewed and we disagree is all. No biggie.