Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > General Statue & Collectible

Old 05-07-2024, 06:45 PM   #261
Sjb
Justice League

Good review by Art Statue Collector. I like that he did a side-by-side comparison to the Prime 1 Superman. Really like what I am seeing, but still on the sideline for now.
Sjb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2024, 10:36 PM   #262
Iko Iko
Fantomah

Art's review was interesting. Overall, I thought the statue looked nice (especially the body sculpt and the overall paints on the body and base) but the one element I wasn't that impressed with were the paints on the head sculpts and hands. They looked like something you'd see on a smaller scale piece (i.e., a 1/6 scale Tweeterhead piece), not a 1/3 scale piece.
Iko Iko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2024, 11:46 PM   #263
PeterP
Frackin!

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinnyCap View Post
I wish Art had the light blue too for side by side. I?m still not sure if I should switch from light PO to dark.
Same. I?m still not convinced.
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2024, 09:37 PM   #264
PeterP
Frackin!

Is there ever going to be a consistent shot of the color?

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1611.jpeg
Views:	49
Size:	123.6 KB
ID:	170442
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2024, 04:02 PM   #265
Hobbyist
The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.

I would love to see LBS doing another Superman statue using the revised Ross headsculpt and a brand new body that truly and faithfully follows the art work of Alex Ross.

No over-the-top super muscular body like the current one, no multiple headsculpts, just one simple statue. It could be in 1:4 scale. I wonder what it would be like.

Are they capable of doing a statue that mirrors perfectly the original artwork? This is my challenge to LBS.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	lbs head.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	30.5 KB
ID:	170452   Click image for larger version

Name:	ross superman.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	143.6 KB
ID:	170453   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1611 (1).jpeg
Views:	17
Size:	138.0 KB
ID:	170454  
Hobbyist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2024, 07:23 PM   #266
nearmint
Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobbyist View Post

No over-the-top super muscular body like the current one, no multiple headsculpts, just one simple statue. It could be in 1:4 scale. I wonder what it would be like.
I imagine it would be exactly like the one Prime 1 just revealed?
nearmint is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2024, 07:05 AM   #267
XMAN
S.H.I.E.L.D.

I for one would not want a statue that would mirror Alex Ross is artwork exactly I feel that you would lose something in the translation, which is why I prefer LBS over what prime one is doing.
What LBS Is giving us is an Alex Ross or Norman Rockwell inspired or translation of a classic Superman…..not a mirrored copy.
XMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2024, 02:04 PM   #268
Hobbyist
The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nearmint View Post
I imagine it would be exactly like the one Prime 1 just revealed?
Not exactly. Prime 1 takes a realistic approach in the likeness instead of following the comic style Ross portrait. Also, the body is still a little too muscular, especially the abs.

LBS headsculpt is more Ross because it still retains the comic style. What it is missing is the Ross style body to go with it.

However, artist being artist, the guy at LBS likes to go with his own style which is a super-muscular man similar to that by Bel. That is the downfall of this statue, IMO.

If LBS would do a faithful Ross body to go with that sculpt in 1:4 scale I would certainly consider.
Old 05-13-2024, 02:09 PM   #269
Hobbyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by XMAN View Post
I for one would not want a statue that would mirror Alex Ross is artwork exactly I feel that you would lose something in the translation, which is why I prefer LBS over what prime one is doing.
What LBS Is giving us is an Alex Ross or Norman Rockwell inspired or translation of a classic Superman?..not a mirrored copy.
Inspiration could sometimes translate to as being an inferior copy or a failed attempt.

Just because a statue is based on an inspiration doesn't make it a good statue. Unfortunately, it is the case here.

It is like someone trying to paint a horse but the painting ends up looking more like a donkey.

Anyway, to each their own.
Old 05-13-2024, 03:35 PM   #270
XMAN
S.H.I.E.L.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobbyist View Post
Inspiration could sometimes translate to as being an inferior copy or a failed attempt.

Just because a statue is based on an inspiration doesn't make it a good statue. Unfortunately, it is the case here.

It is like someone trying to paint a horse but the painting ends up looking more like a donkey.

Anyway, to each is its own.
I disagree with everything you?re saying, except for the last part which is “to each his own”
XMAN is offline   Reply With Quote