PDA

View Full Version : Randy Queen's Darkchylde: Beautiful Dreamer from PopCultureShock

Pages : [1] 2

Randy Queen
02-03-2010, 02:46 AM
Hey guys,

Please be kind, I'm a newbie and just as much a fan of these wonderful artists and their work as you are. Sculptural art provides much inspiration to me, and Jerry at PopCultureShock and I have been talking about doing this since he was still the Sota King in 2004 (geesh, time flies), so it's nice to see the little lady finally about to take flight. Our goal was to create a haunting piece of art with the beauty and textural detail of a movie maquette, something that would stand on it's own with no preconceptions or familiarity with the property, but of course, also make her fans quite happy. I can assure you we both agonized over it. I tried to create terrific line art to inspire Jerry, and I know he truly challenged himself and started over several times in the pursuit of sculptural excellence, as we realize there are more choices than ever for art enthusiasts.

Teasers, and interview w/Jerry coming soon, as we take you inside his creative process. You guys get the news first here.

Kindest regards, and let's have some fun!
~Randy

Official Press Release:

Randy Queen's first ever Darkchylde Statue in production!

Famed toy and statue sculptor Jerry Macaluso of PopCultureShock, and founder of Sota Toys, is bringing Randy Queen's fan favorite Darkchylde character to life in three dimensions! Darkchylde is the story of Ariel Chylde, a cursed southern teen who can become any of the creatures from her many recurring nightmares. And while the character has been realized in toys, mini busts, lunchboxes, trading cards, apparel, skateboards, and comics around the world, a full figure statue has remained elusive until now. "Hands down the most requested item over the years has been to see Ariel realized as a full figure statue. So it is with great joy that such a talent as Jerry is finally making this available to fans in a limited run." This fully painted piece of art catches Ariel in a moment of stirring contemplation in one of her many nightmares, bought to life with a horrific diorama base, and an immaculate attention to beauty and detail. Randy Queen's "Darkchylde: Beautiful Dreamer" will be available in 2010.

Ariel's having Nightmares again.

Art not final, but here you go:
http://www.darkchylde.com/img/DarkchyldeStatueArt.jpg

www.darkchylde.com
www.popcultureshock.com

Chargersfan57
02-03-2010, 02:48 AM
That looks insanely awesome! I've never heard of Darkchylde though. Should make for a great piece with that art though. Looks like you and Jerry are going to have a great piece on your hands. I'll be keeping tabs on this.

And WELCOME to the forum Randy!!!

jollyskeleton
02-03-2010, 02:56 AM
Cool! Can't wait to see the progress

Randy Queen
02-03-2010, 03:04 AM
That looks insanely awesome! I've never heard of Darkchylde though.

Thanks, that's a pretty great welcome! We hope you'll be interested to explore the world of Darkchylde. Part of the fun of collecting is in the discovery of the new. She has a crossover book with Top Cow's The Darkness shipping soon that Sarah and I pretty much killed ourselves over.

I get giddy when I get around talented sculptors, and I've got some pretty great pics of Jerry doing his magic. And it really is magic -- creating something from nothing.

We'll be rolling out sculpt teasers very, very soon.

Kindest regards,
~Randy

Chargersfan57
02-03-2010, 03:23 AM
I've got some pretty great pics of Jerry doing his magic. And it really is magic -- creating something from nothing.

We'll be rolling out sculpt teasers very, very soon.

Kindest regards,
~Randy

Cool, good to hear man. BTW, It would be awesome if you and Jerry posted some of his magic making pics. I (and I'm sure others) would love to see Jerry doin' his thing.

Davidian
02-03-2010, 03:25 AM
Wow, you gotta be kidding Randy! I LOVE Darkchylde! If this is done anything like the art, it will be amazing! :buttrock:

Magik
02-03-2010, 03:31 AM
Totally awesome! I can't wait to see more updates to this piece. Welcome to the forum btw.

Randy Queen
02-03-2010, 03:51 AM
If this is done anything like the art, it will be amazing! :buttrock:

Jerry captured an evocative, moody piece of work that I believe is different enough from current offerings to appeal to art fans in general, and darkchylde and horror fans in specific. I'm sure I drove him a little crazy, but it's all in the pursuit of craft.

Artists make themselves nuts pursuing beauty, but when you get it right and people respond it's wonderful.

It would be awesome if you and Jerry posted some of his magic making pics. I (and I'm sure others) would love to see Jerry doin' his thing

Done, and done, brother! The journey is half the fun.
Soon as I have Jerry's blessing, I'll start to peel back the curtains...

Chargersfan57
02-03-2010, 04:29 AM
[

Done, and done, brother! The journey is half the fun.
Soon as I have Jerry's blessing, I'll start to peel back the curtains...

Cool, can't wait man! :cool:

Sskaaar
02-03-2010, 05:04 AM
Is this the new license Jerry's been keeping secret?

Randy Q, is there still a plan on producing this:

http://photos.actionfigs.com/showgallery.php?cat=2565

Randy Queen
02-03-2010, 05:20 AM

That piece would neccesitate a larger production run, tied in with a film. So we'll have to wait. Maddening, isn't it? Thank you for asking.

The PopCultureShock sculpt should make fans very happy in the meantime.

Darth Pain
02-03-2010, 07:22 AM
Welcome to the forum Randy!
I've always loved the look of Darkchylde. It'll be nice to see what PCS does with her. Never read the comics but, still I'm game for a PF.

IceWing
02-03-2010, 10:19 AM
Randy, I used to pick up the comic and have been excited to see her return in the Darkness. I've almost picked up the old busts in the past, but never pulled the trigger.

This piece though it going to be a must for me. Any info on when it might be coming out this year? Sicne you posted this in the Sideshow area I'm assuming they will be selling it.

dechirico7
02-03-2010, 10:26 AM
Is this the new license Jerry's been keeping secret?

I want that figure! Awesome base.

The statue looks awesome too. I like the mood of Darkchylde, cute but gross, haha.

cblakey1
02-03-2010, 10:29 AM
That's sweet. :drooling:

iceprince_x
02-03-2010, 10:37 AM
you got my one customer from Asia here... lots of memories with this girl. :-)

its good to note she is back.

Vallos
02-03-2010, 10:47 AM
I'll be keeping a keen eye out for this, not to mention heading to the comic shop to learn more about Ariel!

sdbuzzcut
02-03-2010, 12:39 PM
When Jerry first announced he would be sculpting a Morrigan PF I was elated yet terrified.

I was elated because I'd been wanting a Morrigan for years but none of the available offerings were right for me.

I was terrified because I wasn't sure Jerry could sculpt women. All the male SF PFs he'd released were so muscular, the faces so angular and masculine that I had strong doubts. I wasn't familiar with his SOTA work.

Then he gave us the sneak peeks of Morrigan and all my doubts just melted away. She was beautiful and very feminine. Same with Cammy.

Congratulations to Randy to see his vision become reality and hooray for us, another sculpture by Jerry Macaluso!

Will Darkchylde be fully sculpted or premium format?

Titanchuck
02-03-2010, 01:35 PM
I'd like to see more looks great so far

Spazzy
02-03-2010, 01:44 PM
I always liked the look of Darkchylde, but never got into the series.

I am a fan of Jerry's though, and his women are awesome, I bought the Morrigan only because it looked so great, I don't give two s*its about Darkstalkers.

I am sure this will be gorgeous.

Will it be fully sculpted or mixed media?

jetgrob
02-03-2010, 02:30 PM
This is a must for me, I loved the comics and think this will be awesome.

Frankierock
02-03-2010, 02:36 PM
Wow, you gotta be kidding Randy! I LOVE Darkchylde! If this is done anything like the art, it will be amazing! :buttrock:

Same here..this will be a must to own for me!!!

Thanks Randy!!

Big Hulk
02-03-2010, 02:38 PM
I have never heard of this one. Congrats to all that want it though.

nbr3bagshotrow
02-03-2010, 02:41 PM
Not being familiar with the character has never stopped me from picking up 3D art. If the sculpt is anything like the concept art I will serious consider picking it up. Would look great next to my Sugita Vampirella and Ruby Lady Death

Spazzy
02-03-2010, 02:44 PM
Not being familiar with the character has never stopped me from picking up 3D art. If the sculpt is anything like the concept art I will serious consider picking it up. Would look great next to my Sugita Vampirella and Ruby Lady Death

:iagree:

I usually know of the characters but buy plenty that I have no interest in, because they are different from the same stuff we always see.

Hulk5150
02-03-2010, 03:38 PM
Hey Randy!
Congratulations! It must be a wonderful feeling seeing your creation being made into three wonderful dimensions!

The Clayburn Moore sculpted Darkchylde was one of my favorites! The muscle definition and hair were unparalleled!

Can't wait to see this baby when she's done!!

Randy Queen
02-03-2010, 08:34 PM
Hey Randy!
Congratulations! It must be a wonderful feeling seeing your creation being made into three wonderful dimensions!

The Clayburn Moore sculpted Darkchylde was one of my favorites! The muscle definition and hair were unparalleled!

Can't wait to see this baby when she's done!!

Thank you, yes, I was very fortunate in working with Clayburn on the toy, he's a master talent whom I have a great deal of respect for. Working with Weta on the unreleased piece was also a thrill, because you have to remember -- I'm just a fan as well, and it amazes me what these artists can do. Both of those pieces we were aware of as being examples of the highest caliber, so I think that helped pushed Jerry to show just what artistic muscles he can flex in the same arena. And what he achieved is pretty damn exciting. I'm completely biased of course, but I think it has to easily be his best female sculpture, and (bias again) perhaps the best he's done ever? I told him that I wanted him to do the piece that he could look at 10 years from now and go "Yeah, that's still extremely cool."

There were at least 3 other times where a full figure statue was due to be released and for business and life reasons the stars did not align. Other comic characters like Dawn, Lady Death, Shi, Witchblade, Darkness, et. al, have been fortunate to have multiple releases, so I think there is some benefit and real value in having this be Ariel's first offering.

So -- wow -- 3 pages already just off the line art!
Many thanks to everyone whose posted for the warm welcome. It's not something I take for granted, and is greatly, greatly appreciated.

I'm going to have some coffee now and hassle Jerry to get on here and help me make some noise...

RichBamf
02-03-2010, 08:37 PM
Beautiful concept art...:D

Can't wait to see the piece take shape.

Andrew
02-03-2010, 08:57 PM
Looks sexy and scary at the same time.

I'll have to do some research on the I.P.

Jerry has really been taking flight with Pop Culture Shock. Glad to see it. A busy man he must be!

Ridimous
02-03-2010, 09:01 PM
Wow. If anybody can pull it off, it'll be Jerry. He did a beautiful work with Morrigan.

A Cimmerian
02-03-2010, 10:59 PM
This is a statue that I can not miss.

OuttaSight
02-03-2010, 11:05 PM
Im reading but I havent had time to put together a post !

Tomorrow !

Randy Queen
02-05-2010, 04:20 AM
Okay crew,

I'll be breaking up Jerry's interview into different posts over the coming days.

In the meantime, he's given his blessing to post the first teaser. So... drumroll please.....

http://darkchylde.com/img/Darkchylde1stTease.jpg

Vallos
02-05-2010, 05:31 AM
So far so good, Randy! I'm loving the base. Ariel is looking sensual and soft, which I imagine will be broken up by her wings and clawed... Wait. The picture drawing you provided has her left armed with claws, but the sculpture seems be her right hand. Is the tease a picture in reverse?

In any case, this is extremely promising, and I can't wait to see more!

Spazzy
02-05-2010, 12:06 PM
looks good so far.

IS it going to be a cloth dress, or sculpted on?

OuttaSight
02-05-2010, 12:27 PM
Dress is sculpted not cloth.

I actually ended up sculpting her in a mirror image to the artwork.

Spazzy
02-05-2010, 12:28 PM
glad it will be sculpted, looks really cool so far Jerry!

nbr3bagshotrow
02-05-2010, 12:30 PM
Okay crew,

I'll be breaking up Jerry's interview into different posts over the coming days.

In the meantime, he's given his blessing to post the first teaser. So... drumroll please.....

http://darkchylde.com/img/Darkchylde1stTease.jpg

:jawd:

A Cimmerian
02-05-2010, 03:47 PM
I have been wanting a Darkchylde statue since I bought the Moore action figure when it came out.

dechirico7
02-05-2010, 04:38 PM
Hmmm.....why the position change? The art has her right leg up and bent, the sculpture has her left leg up. Interesting. I need to see her with her dress. Right now she looks like a nude teenager.

abarron
02-05-2010, 04:43 PM
Hmmm.....why the position change? The art has her right leg up and bent, the sculpture has her left leg up. Interesting. I need to see her with her dress. Right now she looks like a nude teenager.

And that's a bad thing??

Looks great so far

Vallos
02-05-2010, 04:56 PM

Actually, the art has her left leg up, and the sculpt, her right leg.

Randy Queen
02-05-2010, 07:29 PM
Interesting. I need to see her with her dress. Right now she looks like a nude teenager.

EVERY sculpture or line drawing begins this way -- with raw form -- and I think it was made pretty clear this is a work in progress. Doesn't matter if it's Buffy, Twilight, Mrs. Marvel, or Luke Skywalker they all begin with trying to capture form.

She's a beautiful character, it will be a beautiful sculpt. You've seen where we're going, this is us showing you the stages as we go.

I didn't feel the need to add edit bars to the beginning stages of a beautiful piece of sculptural art. Seems a little silly to me.

CKinSD
02-05-2010, 11:24 PM
Randy, welcome to the forum man. I remember when you first started with her. Still have all the books you signed for me back in the day at SDCC years ago.

Love the concept and the start to this, very cool cannot wait to see the final product.

Ridimous
02-06-2010, 01:48 PM
I don't see anything else that needs to get done. Let see that painted already.

dechirico7
02-06-2010, 02:29 PM
EVERY sculpture or line drawing begins this way -- with raw form -- and I think it was made pretty clear this is a work in progress. Doesn't matter if it's Buffy, Twilight, Mrs. Marvel, or Luke Skywalker they all begin with trying to capture form.

She's a beautiful character, it will be a beautiful sculpt. You've seen where we're going, this is us showing you the stages as we go.

I didn't feel the need to add edit bars to the beginning stages of a beautiful piece of sculptural art. Seems a little silly to me.

Oh, understandable. I didn't mean it in a bad way.
Looking forward to seeing her dressed, lol.
Please let the base be grotesque, I really like the contrast.

Randy Queen
02-08-2010, 02:40 AM
In addition to the teaser images, I am bringing a magazine style interview to the thread, to enhance your forum experience. This will be broken up into several pages over the coming weeks.

Also hoping to do some video.

Please enjoy!

http://www.darkchylde.com/img/StatueInt1.jpg

demonhunter
02-08-2010, 05:32 AM
Thanks, Randy, for the interview and I love your artwork. :)

puntapret
02-08-2010, 06:54 AM
In addition to the teaser images, I am bringing a magazine style interview to the thread, to enhance your forum experience. This will be broken up into several pages over the coming weeks.

Also hoping to do some video.

Please enjoy!

http://www.darkchylde.com/img/StatueInt1.jpg

Nice WIP Jerry.

What is the scale for this statue ? 1/6 ?

derekrodneysim
02-08-2010, 09:39 AM
This looks promising. More WIPs please!

OuttaSight
02-08-2010, 02:00 PM
Nice WIP Jerry.

What is the scale for this statue ? 1/6 ?

She's actually 1/8th scale. There is so much detail and so many paint apps that we had to keep her smaller to keep the retail price manageable.

block
02-09-2010, 11:00 PM
Can't believe I missed this thread.
Looking great from the wip can't wait until the details and paints are applied.

I thought the weta statue was shelved really glad to hear that it's still on the cards.
May end up with 2 darkchylde statues and a fair bit poorer :)

jetgrob
02-11-2010, 07:02 AM
This sculpt looks amazing.
Can't wait to add to my collection.

Randy Queen
02-12-2010, 09:11 AM
I remember when you first started with her. Still have all the books you signed for me back in the day at SDCC years ago.

Love the concept and the start to this, very cool cannot wait to see the final product.

Delighted to hear you still have your books. Hold on to them!

Can't believe I missed this thread.
Looking great from the wip can't wait until the details and paints are applied.

I thought the weta statue was shelved really glad to hear that it's still on the cards.
May end up with 2 darkchylde statues and a fair bit poorer :)

Thank you, and of course we wouldn't hold it against you if you got two of these:)

Hope to post new WIPs, and the second page of the interview over the weekend, but I'm currently slammed trying to get the Darkness/Darkchylde Crossover book out the door -- it will be a thing of beauty and in stores soon!

P.s. I've also asked Jerry to get video... so fingers crossed.

Everyone have a great weekend. And if you're on the east coast, travel safe.

jetgrob
02-16-2010, 07:21 AM
Wow Randy love Darkchylde comics and love the wip.
Didn't know you were doing a Darkness/Darkchylde crossover.
I will be looking out for it.

Davidian
02-18-2010, 10:35 PM
So any idea when this year we may see this beauty up for order?

DeKind
02-18-2010, 10:40 PM
She's actually 1/8th scale. There is so much detail and so many paint apps that we had to keep her smaller to keep the retail price manageable.

screw that, make it 1/3! :vortex:

Randy Queen
02-18-2010, 11:06 PM
screw that, make it 1/3! :vortex:

That would be something, wouldn't it? Unfortunately it would be cost prohibitive. Maybe one day if we can get a series of films out and a larger fan base to support the costlier collectibles. Fingers crossed.

So any idea when this year we may see this beauty up for order?

She's being finished up, and turned out quite lovely. The piece definitely has it's own character and attitude, which is something tough to achieve in the current marketplace. So... soon.

Maybe tonight I can get some more teasers up. If not tonight, then... soon.

Wow Randy love Darkchylde comics and love the wip.
Didn't know you were doing a Darkness/Darkchylde crossover.
I will be looking out for it.

Yeah, the book will be out real soon ("soon" seems to be a recurring theme) from Top Cow, so please reserve a copy at your local shop. It's a 40 pager and I think it's taken a few years off my life getting it done at the level we did. I've been working 24 hr shifts and it's just been nutso. One of the hardest things I've ever done in my life.

Randy Queen
02-19-2010, 01:08 AM
http://www.darkchylde.com/img/Darkchylde2ndTease.jpg

Randy Queen
02-19-2010, 01:12 AM
Here's part 2 of the Interview.
Everyone have a terrific weekend! ~ R

http://www.darkchylde.com/img/StatueInt2.jpg

jollyskeleton
02-19-2010, 01:14 AM
Cool stufff!

Frankierock
02-19-2010, 02:01 AM
looking good so far, can not wait to see this one finished...

Davidian
02-19-2010, 02:55 AM
She's being finished up, and turned out quite lovely. The piece definitely has it's own character and attitude, which is something tough to achieve in the current marketplace. So... soon.

Thanks Randy! Can't wait!

dechirico7
02-19-2010, 10:53 AM
http://www.darkchylde.com/img/Darkchylde2ndTease.jpg

There!
Loving the dress.

Spazzy
02-19-2010, 11:25 PM
looking good so far, can't wait to see the final!!

OuttaSight
02-28-2010, 01:33 PM
I missed Randy's last post. Man I have an ugly thumb !

:(

I cant wait for Sideshow to put this piece up. Its the first thing Ive done since selling SOTA that wasnt Street Fighter.

Spazzy
02-28-2010, 01:50 PM
I am glad it is going through SS, it is always nice to deal with them :)

points are a nice bonus too.

Is there going to be an exc on this, or just a standard?

T-Bonz
02-28-2010, 05:54 PM
Here's part 2 of the Interview.
Everyone have a terrific weekend! ~ R

http://www.darkchylde.com/img/StatueInt2.jpg

just an observation that darkchylde has always been drawn in the comic books with a bigger boobs than sculpted here. why the change?

dechirico7
02-28-2010, 07:43 PM
Do we always need female characters with racks larger than their heads?

I like her proportions here.
It makes me want to pick this statue up more.

T-Bonz
02-28-2010, 08:37 PM
Do we always need female characters with racks larger than their heads?

I like her proportions here.
It makes me want to pick this statue up more.

not always on the boob size, but if you had read this comic book, you would known her boobs were drawn much larger in the comic books. it's part of the character similar to what makes power girl, a power girl.... her boobs

shinodive
02-28-2010, 08:49 PM

I cant wait for Sideshow to put this piece up. Its the first thing Ive done since selling SOTA that wasnt Street Fighter.

What about those Warriors PF's.
Or has that line been cancelled...would have loved an Ajax statue.

fantasticrour
02-28-2010, 09:42 PM
Yeah, the book will be out real soon ("soon" seems to be a recurring theme) from Top Cow, so please reserve a copy at your local shop. It's a 40 pager and I think it's taken a few years off my life getting it done at the level we did. I've been working 24 hr shifts and it's just been nutso. One of the hardest things I've ever done in my life.

Does that mean this will be one of many comic books to come? Given that there's going to be a statue, more comics will forthcoming?

DeKind
02-28-2010, 10:48 PM

Pretty sure he means sculpted from start to finish personally.

Randy Queen
03-01-2010, 02:42 AM
not always on the boob size, but if you had read this comic book, you would known her boobs were drawn much larger in the comic books. it's part of the character similar to what makes power girl, a power girl.... her boobs

Her proportions are commensurate to how she is currently being illustrated, and this is something I was very insistent about.

History has proven that people will complain about either aesthetic. Too large = Complaints. Adjustments = complaints.

Bottom line: Curves do not define the character for me, and I think this is a positive adjustment for the future.

Does that mean this will be one of many comic books to come? Given that there's going to be a statue, more comics will forthcoming?

Things tend to have a life of their own, regardless of your plans, so we will see.
The river seems to be flowing that way, and if fan response stays positive to what we are currently doing , it only helps.

~R

Randy Queen
03-01-2010, 02:50 AM

A perfectly fine sculptor's thumb, Jerry.
Besides, it's the best pic we had that wasn't blury, and the sculpt looks quite nice. :)

P.s. No one was looking at your thumb, now everyone is going to look at it.:drooling: :drooling:

vpw
03-01-2010, 03:01 AM
Looks like I'll be ordering this one :)

greenzombie
03-01-2010, 10:27 AM
Hey Jerry, thatīs coming out pretty damn cool!! Iīm glad to see those wip images since itīs always a learning process for me.
I really dig her slim body proportions, looks more realistic and beautiful.

Randy must be really proud! :)

Best,

Andre
(SZ from Asylum)

Randy Queen
03-07-2010, 12:05 AM
Here's part 3 of the Interview.
More photos on the way.
Everyone have a terrific weekend!
~R

http://www.darkchylde.com/img/StatueInt3.jpg

fantasticrour
03-07-2010, 03:17 AM
That's a hot image above. ^

Things tend to have a life of their own, regardless of your plans, so we will see.
The river seems to be flowing that way, and if fan response stays positive to what we are currently doing , it only helps.

~R

That's good news. I've always been a Dark Chylde fan as well as your work, Randy.

jeremym1
03-07-2010, 07:39 PM
Randy, good to have you back. I have always been a fan and that original darkchylde series still resonates with me after all these years. (I'm still waiting for that dynamic forces h/c by the way!! j/k) Good luck with this statue and other projects. I will definitely pre-order once this becomes available.

T-Bonz
03-08-2010, 04:30 AM
Her proportions are commensurate to how she is currently being illustrated, and this is something I was very insistent about.

History has proven that people will complain about either aesthetic. Too large = Complaints. Adjustments = complaints.

Bottom line: Curves do not define the character for me, and I think this is a positive adjustment for the future.

~R

i see you decided to go the adjustment route. it's your character, you do what ever makes you happy. but this is what i remebered how she was drawn.

jetgrob
03-08-2010, 07:21 AM
Hi Randy
I agree with T-Bonz that's how I remember her as well and really liked her this way. :drooling:
I know you are the artist and it is your creation but I prefer continuity in the art work and this new creation will look different to anybody who remembers the original.
I will still purchase the statue and the crossover as I love your work.:buttrock:

DeKind
03-08-2010, 07:33 AM
i really like the reference art/petite more normal looking figure better personally. Plenty of voluptuous figures in the comic world. Hardly any characters have less than a D-Cup anymore.

Makes the piece look a bit more interesting and artistic rather than just 'SEX SEX SEX'!

Rquiem
03-08-2010, 09:54 AM
i really like the reference art/petite more normal looking figure better personally. Plenty of voluptuous figures in the comic world. Hardly any characters have less than a D-Cup anymore.

Makes the piece look a bit more interesting and artistic rather than just 'SEX SEX SEX'!

I Agree with the above statement. Since Witchblade i havent encountered any comic women without Double D but one, Gen13.

The comics are hardly for stories anymore, it has to sell on sex.

Theyr like 14year old playboys nowadays . :confused2

Randy Queen
03-08-2010, 01:48 PM
Hi Randy
I prefer continuity in the art work and this new creation will look different to anybody who remembers the original.

Respectfully, I disagree.

Any character that endures, also has to evolve.

The statue encapsulates who Ariel is and was in a way that honors her history, and I think fans will recognize her when they see the piece. I'm not sure I'd have any thing further to add in that regard.

Hope to have more photos this week, and thank you for your interest.

~R

Randy Queen
03-08-2010, 02:00 PM

Makes the piece look a bit more interesting and artistic

I Agree with the above statement. Since Witchblade i havent encountered any comic women without Double D but one, Gen13.

The comics are hardly for stories anymore, it has to sell on sex.

I don't disagree, but to be fair, almost everything in entertainment sells on sex. Look at the magazines at the grocery checkout. Cosmopolitan has some of the sexiest covers around, and this is marketed to women. Look at the billboards when you head down the highway. Look at any fragrance ad for men or women.

It's up to the individual consumer to decide what is tacky or low brow, and what is created with a higher level of artistic craftsmanship with an eye towards capturing beauty.

The new book we are working on, and the statue fall in the second camp, and I hope you'll agree. We want to give you NEW things to remember.

http://darkchylde.com/img/KingdomPain_Ariel.jpg

We really agonized over it to create something in both that stood apart. I mean -- we really, really, agonized over it, because mediocre product is plentiful, and readily available. But mediocrity never moved me.

Thank you for your interest in this piece.

Colors by Sarah Queen on the above art. She will also be coloring the Statue art. She kicks major ass.

~R

Randy Queen
03-08-2010, 02:06 PM
That's a hot image above. ^
That's good news. I've always been a Dark Chylde fan as well as your work, Randy.

Many thanks!

Randy, good to have you back. I have always been a fan and that original darkchylde series still resonates with me after all these years.

That's nice to hear, thank you.

(I'm still waiting for that dynamic forces h/c by the way!! j/k)

Yeah, me too.

~R

Randy Queen
03-14-2010, 02:56 AM
So I have the final painted photos.... should I tease with more WIPS or start the official unveiling with color teasers?

Maybe one more WIP?

Inquiring minds want to know.

P.s. Very happy.

~R

Vallos
03-14-2010, 05:14 AM
That depends. If the colors is far away from completion, then one more WIP. If not, then I can wait for the color teasers.

OuttaSight
03-14-2010, 06:27 AM

Pretty sure he means sculpted from start to finish personally.

So I have the final painted photos.... should I tease with more WIPS or start the official unveiling with color teasers?

Maybe one more WIP?

Inquiring minds want to know.

P.s. Very happy.

~R

Lets have a tease of the final paint !

A Cimmerian
03-14-2010, 12:10 PM
Final paint, please!

dechirico7
03-14-2010, 12:46 PM
Can we see a pic of her being painted?
That would rock.

Randy Queen
03-18-2010, 02:23 AM
http://www.darkchylde.com/img/StatueFull8025.jpg

jetgrob
03-18-2010, 05:54 AM
Hi Randy
She looks great!
When will it be up for sale?

redskullrudd
03-18-2010, 06:26 AM
agreed - this looks awesome! looking forward to the pre-order

Vallos
03-18-2010, 08:04 AM
I'm on the line for pre-order!

dechirico7
03-18-2010, 08:57 AM
ewwww the base grosses me out....EXCELLENT!

puntapret
03-18-2010, 08:58 AM
I don't know, but the face seems off to me. Maybe just the angle of the photo ?

NamesJay
03-18-2010, 03:37 PM
I don't know, but the face seems off to me. Maybe just the angle of the photo ?

I detected that as well. I think it's the nose that is throwing me off.

DeKind
03-18-2010, 04:31 PM
agree, at least in that photo the face lacks a lot of the character that the refence sketch face possessed. I'm sure Jerry will tweak anything that needs it into perfection though.

Frankierock
03-18-2010, 04:35 PM
agree, at least in that photo the face lacks a lot of the character that the refence sketch face possessed. I'm sure Jerry will tweak anything that needs it into perfection though.

Totally Agree with you..

fengjun
03-18-2010, 05:24 PM
no offense but hte overall impression is like a $30 pvc figure...not impressed

Vracula
03-18-2010, 05:28 PM
noice!

OuttaSight
03-18-2010, 10:29 PM
We actually made a decision pretty early on to not make the face just like the sketch.

There was a particular 'real person' we modeled the face on.

But I do appreciate the notes so keep them coming and Ill see what I can do. We have time to play around.

Its nice to be spreading my wings outside of Street Fighter and Randy and I have been talking about doing this for 5+ years.

Feel free to ask any questions you might have

Master
03-18-2010, 10:46 PM

Hi All.

I knew I'd seen that face somewhere before. ;-)

All the best,

Master

DeKind
03-18-2010, 10:55 PM
We actually made a decision pretty early on to not make the face just like the sketch.

But I do appreciate the notes so keep them coming and Ill see what I can do. We have time to play around.

Its nice to be spreading my wings outside of Street Fighter and Randy and I have been talking about doing this for 5+ years.

Feel free to ask any questions you might have

its not so much the face as it is the brow area.

the look i get from the original sketch is something bordering on a focusing of anger or power, what have you. And the look on then on the actual sculpt her face seems to be rather uninterested or "spacey".

Could be due to the angle though. I'd like to see larger pics of the finished product but i dont think my opinion of a tweak to the brow will change much.

Also just noticed something else, can you make her changing arm a bit more seamless/gruesome? Looks like a different take on Witchblade [gauntlet] rather than Ariels skin tearing and peeling as she turns into some monstrosity.

koten
03-19-2010, 01:42 AM
no offense but hte overall impression is like a $30 pvc figure...not impressed

Pretty blunt and mean -- but sadly this does reflect my thoughts on the piece as well...

ReplicantSavior
03-19-2010, 04:26 AM
This looks pretty good. I need to see more to decide. The base is really scary. I've had the comic on my pickup list for a while. Probably pick it up now to see what this character is about. However, I'm really waiting for the Starfall comic and perhaps a statue of the comic con preview cover. The one where she's holding a spear and a gun with her back angled at the reader. That would be cool.

dechirico7
03-19-2010, 10:13 AM
hmmm...
I think we need to see another picture, from another angle.
I love the sculpt on this one, but I am not feeling the paint. I think the base is painted wonderfully, but the paint on Darkchylde looks too waxy/glossy.
I think the base should be ultra glossy and gross looking, but Darkchylde should be matte, so she stands out from it.

Vallos
03-19-2010, 11:18 AM
Now that you you mention this, Dechirico, I agree with you.

Randy Queen
03-21-2010, 02:41 AM
Thank you for the interest and feedback.

There's a pretty terrific element to the base we haven't revealed yet. And the base is rather large in relation to figure. Stay tuned.

To be clear, the face is not based on any one real person. It's a composite of elements which had the tonal quality of the art to assist in the creation.

Not sure on the brow. I rather like that she looks like she's scanning the distant horizon for threats. But we addressed anyway to add more nuance. Agree the nose could be tweaked slightly. Addressed.

Re: Creature Arm. To Jerry's credit, he already resculpted this upon my earlier request. What do you think about the arm color matching the tentacles, as if she is becoming the thing beneath the tree? Or to illustrate a chameleon aspect of her ability. I think we should.

Agree there should be a tear and/or flap of skin dangling from that arm, and this was an existing note that must have fallen through the cracks. Addressed.

Figure is matte. Addressed. Gloss was added to catch the light for teaser image only. Skin tone changes depending on the light photographed in. I think this is a striking first tease of paints, so went with it.

I forgot to add tattoo detail on ankle, and butterfly on bracelet. Shame on me.
We may wish to incorporate these elements and re-up the photo.

Keep the comments coming, but please realize she is 1/8th scale and quite detailed at this size.

P.s. Starfall statue would be insanely cool. Making every possible effort to get her out there.

Everyone have a good weekend, and enjoy your hobby.
I have a long night ahead of me, but am going to go enjoy
Halloween cupcakes in March. (They're made fresh, btw.)

~R

NamesJay
03-21-2010, 01:02 PM
Randy, I want to thank you for the time you take to read our comments and even make changes you think are appropriate.

I am looking forward to the release of this statue.

T-Bonz
03-21-2010, 07:57 PM
http://www.darkchylde.com/img/StatueFull8025.jpg

i'm sure the live models were pretty, but she looks like a plain jane and there is no WOW factor when you look at this statue versus your drawing below which was great.

http://darkchylde.com/img/KingdomPain_Ariel.jpg

OuttaSight
03-26-2010, 01:22 AM
Okay...how's about a teaser of the revised statue ?

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e398/anunakki/Ariel_A_Teaser.jpg

The face is almost completely resculpted.

Magik
03-26-2010, 02:01 AM
Whoa!! That's just sick! I love it.:buttrock: When's the release date?

crazy_legs03
03-26-2010, 02:02 AM
The face looks kinda dull ...

Averone
03-26-2010, 02:05 AM
OMG!

Sskaaar
03-26-2010, 02:06 AM
Sick base!

Magik
03-26-2010, 02:07 AM
That base is all kinds of kick ass!:buttrock:

Magik
03-26-2010, 02:08 AM

definitely need to see more pics (close ups) of the face to make a determination.

OuttaSight
03-26-2010, 02:09 AM
Whoa!! That's just sick! I love it.:buttrock: When's the release date?

Pre-order in 2-3 weeks. Delivery mid summer

I guess I could give her a clown nose... :vortex:

OMG!

W00T!

Averone
03-26-2010, 02:09 AM
definitely need to see more pics (close ups) of the face to make a determination.

Looks like it has been retouched. Should be good!

OuttaSight
03-26-2010, 02:10 AM

They will be coming in about a week... I think you will like.

Sidharta
03-26-2010, 03:09 AM

That's really a great statue ! I really see the beauty and the nightmare !

DeKind
03-26-2010, 03:32 AM
looks pretty damn good Jerry. For 1/8 scale thats very impressive work. I dont think people quite grasp how tiny she is, which is my only regret. Should of done a 1/4 scale!

T-Bonz
03-26-2010, 03:48 AM

face looks better but hard to tell with such small pic. the breast would look better if it is more perky. not bigger, but more perky looking rather than the current adolescent look to it. the red dress doesn't seems to drape over her breasts correctly. something seems off about it. i think the triangular part of the dress over her breasts are too low and need to be lifted a little higher.

jetgrob
03-26-2010, 05:48 AM
Without more pics can't really say.
This is not the Ariel from the original comics.
I was so excited about this but now, not sure.

Niero
03-26-2010, 06:04 AM
I do not like the face too,m but need the see more pics. The base is kick ass!

Randy Queen
03-26-2010, 07:14 AM
A nice surprise, I wasn't expecting new pics so soon!

That's really a great statue ! I really see the beauty and the nightmare !

We wanted the contrast between Beautiful Girl and Horrific Nightmare to be pretty strong, as essentially, that's the whole premise: The contrast of who Ariel is vs. the many things she can become.

Poor Ariel! She was always meant to be a sympathetic monster, like the Wolf Man and King Kong.

The base is kick ass!

And there's still an element to the base that is secret... so stay tuned.

Without more pics can't really say. This is not the Ariel from the original comics.

And the Batman from the 60's, and the 90's, is not the Batman you have in 2010. Each iteration can be cool and unique yet still pure to the character.

IMO, The blood red nightgown is a far more sophisticated, elegant, and evocative visual symbol of a character haunted by Nightmares than torn jeans and tanks. And the red nightgown will stay in future stories. Sorry you don't like it, I think it's pretty striking personally.

It may not be entirely obvious from the pics, but the nightgown is turning into blood at the bottom. Wicked.

looks pretty damn good Jerry. For 1/8 scale thats very impressive work. I dont think people quite grasp how tiny she is, which is my only regret. Should of done a 1/4 scale!

This is a smaller scale statue, but very effectively captures the personality, mood, and vibe of my art. In fact, I'd wager it's more "Darkchylde" than any other 3D product we've done so far. It's scary and sexy and the paint apps are sensational.

The piece is quite lovely, I've seen it in person twice now.

And stay tuned for that additional surprise element...
it is insanely cool.

Vallos
03-26-2010, 08:13 AM
Randy, thanks for pointing out the gown/blood feature. I did not notice it. Now having that in mind, the synergy between the opposing forces between beauty (life) and nightmare (death), is much more evident. Even within it's small scale, the statue has plenty of detail!

dechirico7
03-26-2010, 08:59 AM

WAY BETTER!
Looks great.
The base is soooo disgusting.....friggin awesome.
The skin looks great in a matte finish.
I can already hear my friends comments "did she kill a baby?" hahaha
I love the inclusion of the small doll.
Great piece guys.
What are we looking at for a price?

Tiny Eli
03-26-2010, 10:58 AM
I think the statue looks great. I'm also pleased that it's smaller since a lot of my collection is in the 1/10-1/6 range and I didn't need another huge statue after Jerry's street fighter/darkstalkers/thundercats combo takes up all my room :redface: . I only ever read the first few comics of Darkchylde and this makes me want to go catch up.

Frankierock
03-26-2010, 11:07 AM

WOW!!!!

Barbarian
03-26-2010, 11:31 AM
Cool and unique piece. Can we get a shot of the back side?

puntapret
03-26-2010, 11:49 AM

It should be done in 1/6 scale so i can put it with the other statues. :(

loricstone
03-26-2010, 01:20 PM
The only negative I have of this (and its a big negative) is that 1/8 scale is entirely too small for me. My limit is 1/6 scale and bigger and even 1/6 scale is pushing it sometimes.

With that being said, this is a finely crafted sculpt with a phenomenal base. I would like to see some blood splatter on Darkchylde herself, of which there appears to be none. And I also agree about the dress and breast comment someone made about her. Either way, this is a nice sculpt that should sell very well. I hope it is a success so that somewhere down the line, a 1/5 or 1/4 scale sculpt would be done. Then there is no doubt about me purchasing one. :thumbs2:

OuttaSight
03-26-2010, 01:32 PM
The only negative I have of this (and its a big negative) is that 1/8 scale is entirely too small for me. My limit is 1/6 scale and bigger and even 1/6 scale is pushing it sometimes.

With that being said, this is a finely crafted sculpt with a phenomenal base. I would like to see some blood splatter on Darkchylde herself, of which there appears to be none. And I also agree about the dress and breast comment someone made about her. Either way, this is a nice sculpt that should sell very well. I hope it is a success so that somewhere down the line, a 1/5 or 1/4 scale sculpt would be done. Then there is no doubt about me purchasing one. :thumbs2:

The size was an interesting conundrum for us while designing it.

The base is very complicated and has a massive amount of detailed paint work on it. The cost of the base , in a way, dictated the size of the statue.

If you notice the larger statues usually have very bland bases but for this the complicated base is vital to the character

Davidian
03-26-2010, 01:38 PM
Loving it! Who can we expect to preorder it from?

OuttaSight
03-26-2010, 01:41 PM
Loving it! Who can we expect to preorder it from?

Sideshow

Davidian
03-26-2010, 01:45 PM
Thanks Jerry! You da man!

Nerdy Black Guy
03-26-2010, 01:52 PM
This is beautiful sculpt. I will buy this since it represents a condition that I have called sleep paralysis. This is when your frozen to the bed unable to move and you are soaked in your own cold sweat from fear. In some cases people have seen entities ranging from a beautiful succubus to a frightening looking witch that hover over you and just stares at you close up. Others have also seen demon faces or reptilian looking beings. I know this may sound weird to some but it's what I go through and it's one of the most disturbing things.

Randy Queen
03-26-2010, 02:04 PM
This is beautiful sculpt. I will buy this since it represents a condition that I have called sleep paralysis. This is when your frozen to the bed unable to move and you are soaked in your own cold sweat from fear. In some cases people have seen entities ranging from a beautiful succubus to a frightening looking witch that hover over you and just stares at you close up. Others have also seen demon faces or reptilian looking beings. I know this may sound weird to some but it's what I go through and it's one of the most disturbing things.

Thank you for sharing a very personal story. Someone close to me once suffered from Night Terrors, which can be quite scary. I've heard from a few people over the years with various conditions who have been affected in a positive way by reading about Ariel's plight. I'm very touched by it.

Vallos
03-26-2010, 02:17 PM
It's also called Old Hag Syndrome. I know of this all too well, as my ex suffered from it quite frequently.

Randy Queen
03-26-2010, 02:21 PM
It should be done in 1/6 scale so i can put it with the other statues. :(

For me it's all about the piece. My collection is pretty eclectic, and the only thing I ever limit myself to is what I like.

I have a large Giger Alien, and I have the very small, but incredibly detailed, Konami one. And it's not an easy call to distinguish which one is actually cooler.

The texture and detail actually have a higher register at this size, than the same exact sculpt blown larger.

For fans who are very size specific to statues, I ask that you please be open to the possibilities of stepping outside of that, provided a piece of art speaks to you. Cause if it don't speak to you, nothing we say is going to sway that. But if it appeals, it may look terrific in your collection, with the added bonus of not being too obtrusive.

I think the statue looks great. I only ever read the first few comics of Darkchylde and this makes me want to go catch up.

That's nice to hear. Got one coming out next month we put a lot of love and effort into. It's a Top Cow book called Darkness / Darkchylde : Kingdom Pain. It's 40 pages, and please reserve at your local comic retailer.

Juggernaut
03-26-2010, 05:57 PM
I don't know if this question has been asked but will there be a Darkchylde hardcover books collecting completed runs of the Darkchulde comics?

Nice statue by the way.

Randy Queen
03-26-2010, 07:13 PM
(I'm still waiting for that dynamic forces h/c by the way!! j/k)

I don't know if this question has been asked but will there be a Darkchylde hardcover books collecting completed runs of the Darkchulde comics?

Nice statue by the way.

A HC was planned with Dynamic Forces, but never came to pass. Interestingly, we are talking about doing something like that again.

Since people are asking I will try to reupp our shop tonight with some signed trades of the first mini series at cover price. So be sure to check our site later. The prices on Amazon are significantly higher, which I suppose is nice to see.

redskullrudd
03-26-2010, 07:19 PM
Hey Randy hope you can make that Darkchylde HC happen.....I'd totally grab that.

Tiny Eli
03-26-2010, 07:59 PM
That's nice to hear. Got one coming out next month we put a lot of love and effort into. It's a Top Cow book called Darkness / Darkchylde : Kingdom Pain. It's 40 pages, and please reserve at your local comic retailer.

Sounds like a good idea. It gives me a good reason to visit my local comic book store (which I have yet to do). As great as the internet is for buying comics, nothing beats a brick and mortar store with knowledgeable staff who are on the up and up. Maybe they'll even have some sold out sideshow statues. One can dream I guess.

Randy Queen
03-26-2010, 08:11 PM
Sounds like a good idea. It gives me a good reason to visit my local comic book store (which I have yet to do). As great as the internet is for buying comics, nothing beats a brick and mortar store with knowledgeable staff who are on the up and up. Maybe they'll even have some sold out sideshow statues. One can dream I guess.

Is that Metro Comics off St. Street? I love St. Street. We were just there for the James Cameron Award at the Arlington theater. Hopefully they won't bad mouth me because the book is late :) But they'll be able to sell more because it looks better.

And of course, please ask them to order the statue.
Metro is a terrific shop.

redskullrudd
03-26-2010, 09:05 PM
I'm interested in getting on board with starfall....have any issues hit the shelves yet, and if so what # are we at? (sorry I've been out of the comic loop waaay too long!)
looks like a cool concept!

OuttaSight
03-26-2010, 09:07 PM

Yeah I still go to my local comic store. Ordering online just isnt any fun.

Whenever i go in it takes me back to being ~14 and how I would put on my walkman (yeah Im old) and walk the 4-5 miles to my comic store. I loved the smell when I walked in.

Tiny Eli
03-26-2010, 09:38 PM
Is that Metro Comics off St. Street? I love St. Street. We were just there for the James Cameron Award at the Arlington theater. Hopefully they won't bad mouth me because the book is late :) But they'll be able to sell more because it looks better.

And of course, please ask them to order the statue.
Metro is a terrific shop.

Yeah that's the one. I've walked by but at those times I don't have enough time to stop and browse. I get "kid in a candy store" syndrome and it takes me a good amount of time to fully browse comic selections and to grill staff on new ventures.

Yeah I still go to my local comic store. Ordering online just isnt any fun.

Whenever i go in it takes me back to being ~14 and how I would put on my walkman (yeah Im old) and walk the 4-5 miles to my comic store. I loved the smell when I walked in.
You can always tell it's a comic book store when you walk in. The smell is fairly unique. The comic book store I used to go to was right next to my favorite burger place. I could eat a greasy double bacon cheeseburger and then let things settle by browsing comics.

Juggernaut
03-27-2010, 07:59 AM
A HC was planned with Dynamic Forces, but never came to pass. Interestingly, we are talking about doing something like that again.

Since people are asking I will try to reupp our shop tonight with some signed trades of the first mini series at cover price. So be sure to check our site later. The prices on Amazon are significantly higher, which I suppose is nice to see.

Nice.

Thanks for the info.

If a Hardcover does happen, I just want to say if there is a chance that it can be an oversized hard cover that would be great.

Randy Queen
03-27-2010, 05:05 PM
As promised the Darkchylde trade paperback Vol 1. has been added to the shop at cover price. For those interested, the Starfall preview is also available.

www.darkchylde.com

redskullrudd
03-27-2010, 05:41 PM
cheers Randy.....grabbed one ;) that's been so hard for me to find here! Looking forward to it!

NWO SCUM
03-27-2010, 06:39 PM
I'll order this piece because I like the character and I think they did a good job sculpting it.

On a site note: as you can see by my avatar I to suffer from the Old Hag Syndrome. Unfortunately I never seen a beautiful being. Just demons and reptoids. It could be just a dream or the Anunnaki is paying me a visit.

Randy Queen
03-28-2010, 10:21 AM
Yeah I still go to my local comic store.

Speaking of which, here is the revised and final Cover for
Darkness / Darkchylde: Kingdom Pain, shipping in April from Top Cow.

I'm also posting sketches and additional peeks at http://topcow.com/boards/index.php?showtopic=43384 and invite my statue forum friends to participate.

And most importantly, please let your local comic shop know you want this book!

http://www.darkchylde.com/img/CrossoverCoverNew.jpg

jetgrob
03-28-2010, 02:20 PM
Wow Randy the cover looks great and have ordered it at my LCS.

redskullrudd
03-28-2010, 03:04 PM
oh - this is so going to be ordered. Glad you got it finished up Randy!

jetgrob
03-31-2010, 06:03 AM
And the Batman from the 60's, and the 90's, is not the Batman you have in 2010. Each iteration can be cool and unique yet still pure to the character.

Hi Randy

Don't get so defensive about this I am only stating that she is different from your original Ariel. This is your artwork and it is your choice to change her and I respect that. I love the character and the original artwork and I am sure I will love the new artwork when I get the new book. She just isn't as curvy as the original, but once I start reading I will forget about how Ariel use to look.
My only wish, she was a regular comic.

Randy Queen
03-31-2010, 11:24 AM

Hi Randy

Don't get so defensive about this I am only stating that she is different from your original Ariel. This is your artwork and it is your choice to change her and I respect that. I love the character and the original artwork and I am sure I will love the new artwork when I get the new book. She just isn't as curvy as the original, but once I start reading I will forget about how Ariel use to look.
My only wish, she was a regular comic.

Please don't take that as my being defensive, I'm simply stating an observation, as I would if we were in a real conversation (which, we are:))
Ariel still has plenty of curves, and legs for days! It will be fine:)

There are talks of getting new books out. Let's see what happens if the Crossover does well. Early buzz is good for it.

jetgrob
04-01-2010, 05:35 PM
Hi randy

That would be great to see Ariel on the shelves on a regular bases.
After I first read Darkchylde I was hooked and looked for more comics about her, but didn't find any so I started reading Witchblade and I am still a fan of this series.
Hope to see Ariel crossover soon.

OuttaSight
04-18-2010, 02:15 PM
Here is a peak at the Sideshow Exclusive

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e398/anunakki/LightUp_A.jpg

It will have a light-up base so it looks like the blood is glowing.

OuttaSight
04-18-2010, 02:17 PM
Some pics of the regular version.

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e398/anunakki/Ariel_Q.jpg

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e398/anunakki/Ariel_G.jpg

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e398/anunakki/Ariel_E.jpg

Randy Queen
04-18-2010, 07:05 PM
Dueling Banjos:

http://www.darkchylde.com/img/ad4sf.jpg

http://www.darkchylde.com/img/ad4sf2.jpg

And please remember the lovely Ariel is 1/8th :)

Nerdy Black Guy
04-18-2010, 07:54 PM

Glowing blood. Now that I like. :buttrock:

Spiderman007
04-18-2010, 09:32 PM
Well done! I love the new darkchylde statue. I can't wait to get mine! Keep up the great work and let's see darkchylde come back to print soon!

vpw
04-18-2010, 11:50 PM
Gotta figure out how to get my paws on the EX now...:)

Fuzzylojiks
04-19-2010, 12:10 AM
Now that's a cool Ex!

iceprince_x
04-19-2010, 12:23 AM
i want one... is this for pre-order already?

DeKind
04-19-2010, 01:35 AM
hope you guys plan on doing a bigger scale piece. 1/4 or 1/3. I hate to keep brining it up but something like the prototype Weta showed off would be awesome.

T-Bonz
04-19-2010, 04:30 AM

sorry the statue does not compare to how you have drawn darkchylde. yes to your comic book and no for the statue.

fantasticrour
04-19-2010, 12:31 PM
Dueling Banjos:

http://www.darkchylde.com/img/ad4sf.jpg

http://www.darkchylde.com/img/ad4sf2.jpg

And please remember the lovely Ariel is 1/8th :)

The face pictured here looks much better than the preview Sideshow had on their website.

slayer
04-19-2010, 12:45 PM
Looks crap

Vallos
04-19-2010, 01:04 PM
I have a question on the light up exclusive.

Will it run on batteries, cord, or both?

Randy Queen
04-19-2010, 02:15 PM
Looks crap

And judging from your two posts, your agenda isn't transparent at all ;)

~R

slayer
04-19-2010, 02:16 PM
just saying it like it is,i dont have my tounge up someones ass like most on here

OuttaSight
04-19-2010, 02:44 PM
I have a question on the light up exclusive.

Will it run on batteries, cord, or both?

Batteries

Theres some weird testing requirement if you use a cord and its expensive. Hard to do on a low volume piece.

I dont have any Sideshow pieces with a cord...do they ever use the cord ?

Vallos
04-19-2010, 02:57 PM
I'm glad it's not a cord, as I would not get this if it was big or small.

Vallos
04-19-2010, 02:59 PM
just saying it like it is,i dont have my tounge up someones ass like most on here

Perhaps, but you could be tactful when critiquing one's work.

OuttaSight
04-19-2010, 03:06 PM
Perhaps, but you could be tactful when critiquing one's work.

I think the post count and negative tone illuminate the agenda.

I think its a pretty cool statue or I wouldnt release it. Its got crazy sculpt and paint detail. Lots going on.

I should have taken some pics of it next to other statues so the size was apparent. Its always rough when you zoom in on a head thats 3/4" tall...you can see every flaw that you cant see with the naked eye.

I remember the same issue when i was doing 1/8th scale action figures.

Darth Pain
04-19-2010, 03:14 PM
Looks cool!
I'm not really a fan of hers. So I won't be ordering.

slayer
04-19-2010, 03:44 PM
I think its a pretty cool statue or I wouldnt release it.

just like the sold out baseball fury?

DeKind
04-19-2010, 04:20 PM
Batteries

Theres some weird testing requirement if you use a cord and its expensive. Hard to do on a low volume piece.

I dont have any Sideshow pieces with a cord...do they ever use the cord ?

only a couple came with an adapter, like SIM.

Davidian
04-19-2010, 05:03 PM
i want one... is this for pre-order already?

I think this is coming up in this weeks newsletter

bebohawk
04-19-2010, 05:16 PM
I really don't know anyting about the character but statue look sweet the only thing the Im not a 100% is the face of her it look too round I saw a pics of her from the comics and she look super Hot but the face in the statue is missing the Hot factor IMO

fengjun
04-19-2010, 05:26 PM
overall not impressed...i think my biggest problem is with the face.

jetgrob
04-20-2010, 06:07 AM
I love this character and have been waiting to see a statue of her for years, but this rendition has left me underwhelmed.
I will pass on this as it just doesn't look right to me.
I know it is how Ariel looks now but it is not how she did look.
I will be passing on this one.

Randy Queen
04-21-2010, 08:58 PM
PRE-ORDERS begin tomorrow!

Also, there's this:) And you guys got it first :

Official Press Release

May is Darkchylde Month

Darkchylde Ent. proudly announces May as Darkchylde Month. With the triumphant release of the highly anticipated crossover with Top Cow's The Darkness, and her first ever statue release through Jerry Macaluso's PopCutureShock Collectibles, fans of Randy Queen's nightmare haunted beauty, Ariel Chylde, will be in for some happy surprises this May. Darkchylde excitement should hit a fever pitch when test footage for a Darkchylde film created by the Academy award winning Weta Workshop hits the net around the same time.

"The tale of a beautiful but cursed southern teen who can become any of the creatures from her many recurring nightmares was a bonafide late 90's, early 2000's sensation, seeing the character realized in comics, trading cards, action figures, skateboards, apparel, mini busts, and more", says creator and writer, Randy Queen, "and it is with great joy that all these exciting new elements are congealing at this time, with the Top Cow Crossover, the Statue from PopCultureShock Collectibles and the release of the Weta Test Footage. This is a concept fans have shown they love and there aren't many comic characters created post 1960's with any real staying power. I'm delighted the plight of Ariel Chylde has endured and proved so memorable for fans around the world and it'll be terrific to see where her wings carry her from here."

http://www.sideshowtoy.com/?page_id=14515
www.darkchylde.com
http://www.wetanz.com/
topcow.com

Randy Queen may be contacted at deepestblue432@aol.com

http://www.darkchylde.com/img/DarkchyldeStatue.jpg

http://www.darkchylde.com/img/DKDC.jpg

http://www.darkchylde.com/img/Darkmakeup.jpg

sdbuzzcut
04-21-2010, 09:08 PM
only a couple came with an adapter, like SIM.

SIM didn't come with an adapter but there is a port where you can plug one in.

At release time, there were posts on which adapter would work properly with SIM, so they can be purchased.

A Cimmerian
04-21-2010, 10:45 PM
I'm glad to learn that there will be a Darkchylde movie. Great !

AstroWho
04-22-2010, 08:33 PM
Got one!
That Light-Up Feature is Insane!!!
Love the Edition Size on it!!!

J Storm
04-22-2010, 08:37 PM
looks nice but passed. the wings look too thin & would break easily. congrats to those that get this especially the ex version.

spider1135
04-22-2010, 08:40 PM
she is only 10" tall!!!!!

darthmatrix
04-22-2010, 08:40 PM
Ex ordered!

darthmatrix
04-22-2010, 08:42 PM
Jerry please have the factory upgrade the shipper foam...this one looks really fragile.

MinMay
04-22-2010, 08:52 PM
I have no idea, but the light up feature made me order it. I'll think about it later on...no time to think right now LOL.

Vallos
04-22-2010, 09:01 PM
I ordered the exclusive. The light up base is a fantastic feature!

This angle is absolutely stunning!

http://www.sideshowtoy.com/mas_assets/jpg/9009171_press02-001.jpg

FROBAY
04-22-2010, 09:12 PM
LIGHT-UP!!! Easy order for me. I'm shocked this thing is not sold out.

Darknight
04-22-2010, 09:12 PM
I'm with you. Liking the look of the light-up base. Not too sure of this character tho. But this is very well done.

Davidian
04-22-2010, 09:31 PM
I'm a big fan of the character, but am on the fence still

AstroWho
04-22-2010, 09:51 PM
She'll sell out soon.......Just not too many people know who this is.

Tiny Eli
04-22-2010, 09:51 PM
Ordered the exclusive and used my reward points. The statue is shorter and cheaper than I thought it would be.

Randy Queen
04-22-2010, 09:56 PM
I'm a big fan of the character, but am on the fence still

Looks like Ariel is doing well, and we haven't released the book with our ad yet, and the press release only went out yesterday.

Jerry and I are making sure this piece kicks ass and at a limited run of 150 on the EX you can't go wrong.
It's a beautiful piece and extremely detailed.

Also, there's more Darkchylde excitement coming in May, check post # 189

Just got an email update as I type this --
she's.... 2/3rds gone, so act now:)

Thanks to all who ordered Ariel for a happy day.

~R

legato
04-22-2010, 10:14 PM
It looks great and the light up base is an awesome idea for the ex. But at 10 inches with base included I'm not sure if I would keep it.

Randy Queen
04-22-2010, 10:21 PM
the wings look too thin & would break easily.

Jerry anticipated this problem and they are thicker than they look.

Best,
~R

OuttaSight
04-22-2010, 10:22 PM
Jerry anticipated this problem and they are thicker than they look.

Best,
~R

More importantly the wings will be shipped separately from the figure and attached by magnets.

DeKind
04-22-2010, 11:20 PM

She's disgusting

excuse me for a moment :dork:

:drooling:

MinMay
04-23-2010, 12:27 AM
What's your name? I must admit...she's damn gorgeous...looks like a model.

toe
04-23-2010, 01:52 AM
agree.

Also, Jerry, is there any chance of making more Top Cow characters? like Darkness? :praying:

Randy Queen
04-23-2010, 02:05 AM
agree.

Also, Jerry, is there any chance of making more Top Cow characters? like Darkness? :praying:

Not directed to me, but FYI: Darkchylde is not a Top Cow character.

~R

toe
04-23-2010, 02:12 AM

Randy Queen
04-23-2010, 03:25 AM
Congrats to those who scored an Ariel EX :)

~R

Vallos
04-23-2010, 06:00 AM
Jerry and or Randy, can you tell me (us) which month in the third quater it will ship? I have a lot of statues on pre-order for that time period and it will be helpful if I knew exactly when it will ship. I'll appreciate that info, thanks!

NamesJay
04-23-2010, 10:11 AM
I snagged one of the EX's up last night.

There's something about the face (maybe too flat?) that doesn't quite resonate with me, but I think the detail is beautiful and I'm a big fan of the character so I don't think I will be disappointed.

jetgrob
04-23-2010, 10:32 AM
I am a big fan of this characyer and loved the art in the original comics.
I know Randy has chosen to change the looks of Ariel in the new crossover,
but this statue is just not good enough . I can't get past the flat face.

fantasticrour
04-23-2010, 12:19 PM
Sold out!

Nothing wrong with the face. It looks exactly like the way Darkchylde is drawn in the comics.

artofgarduno
04-23-2010, 12:38 PM
Im sorry guys but this sculpt doesnt look very good, it looks rushed, and her face looks like a cartoon, her eyes just look painted on and are too close together.

OuttaSight
04-23-2010, 12:54 PM
agree.

As Randy said Ariel isnt a TopCow character but there is a possibility of me working with TC down the road.

DeKind
04-23-2010, 03:00 PM
Im sorry guys but this sculpt doesnt look very good, it looks rushed, and her face looks like a cartoon, her eyes just look painted on and are too close together.

not that im against Jerry trying to make anything better if he thinks he can do so, but really now, lets see you do a better face when its the size of a dime. Looks pretty damn good to me given the scale.

AstroWho
04-23-2010, 03:11 PM
I ordered it.........But I am curious why this wasn't made to a Larger Scale?

Randy Queen
04-23-2010, 11:25 PM
I ordered it.........But I am curious why this wasn't made to a Larger Scale?

As I understand, it's because the base is so elaborate, and there are so many detailed paint apps with the creatures in the blood, etc. Things can get pricey pretty quick, so we wanted to arrive at a happy spot that wasn't cost prohibitive without simplifying or compromising the base.

By doing it this way, we really bring you into Ariel's Nightmare and I think it makes for a more interesting piece of art. And while I can appreciate the 1/4th craze that's happening right now, I think this smaller scale is quite lovely. When you see just how detailed she is 'in hand' I think fans will be very pleased.

If we do a 1/4th, it won't have this diorama type base, that's for sure.

I ordered the exclusive. The light up base is a fantastic feature!

This angle is absolutely stunning!

http://www.sideshowtoy.com/mas_assets/jpg/9009171_press02-001.jpg

Thanks, Vallos. She'd make one helluva table topper at a Halloween party, wouldn't she? :)

Thanks again to all who scored one, and making the EX SOLD OUT in less than five hours.

FYI: The regular edition still has the clear/translucent blood, only minus the light up feature.

~R

AstroWho
04-24-2010, 05:16 PM
I ordered this and think it Looks Amazing no matter what size it is.
I do hope that we'll see a Darkchylde 1/4 at some point done by Pop Culture Shock.
It would look Great next to the Darkstalkers Line!

Darknight
04-26-2010, 01:23 AM
Kudos for making this piece perfect all round (although i would love for this to be larger, i think the scale isnt too bad). Love the detail of the base and the special light-up exclusive for fans. This is what an exclusive should be, no more prints please. I will be picking this up.

koten
04-26-2010, 01:25 AM
The exclusive feature rocks. The piece itself is quite underwhelming though. Congrats to those that want one and got their order in.

THE_BEAST
04-28-2010, 07:25 PM
Hey Randy & Jerry, any pics of the signed lithograph that comes with her???

OuttaSight
04-28-2010, 07:57 PM
Hey Randy & Jerry, any pics of the signed lithograph that comes with her???

Even I havent seen it ! lol

THE_BEAST
04-28-2010, 09:31 PM
:( Even I havent seen it ! lol

OuttaSight
04-28-2010, 09:43 PM

Randy has been very busy.

Randy Queen
05-01-2010, 06:31 PM
Will reveal the litho art soon, keep checking back.

Jerry and I thought it would be a nice change up to make the COA's a Print instead of making a Print the exclusive. It's fun to try new things.

More later, super, super exhausted...

~R

redskullrudd
05-01-2010, 06:32 PM
sounds like a great idea.

THE_BEAST
05-01-2010, 07:00 PM
Will reveal the litho art soon, keep checking back.

Jerry and I thought it would be a nice change up to make the COA's a Print instead of making a Print the exclusive. It's fun to try new things.

More later, super, super exhausted...

~R

Sounds good. cant wait to see.:)

THE_BEAST
05-10-2010, 10:16 PM
Hope you didnt forget about us!!!

Randy Queen
05-10-2010, 10:36 PM
Hope you didnt forget about us!!!

No way. Will have something for you guys soon, including a firm in-store date for the book.
It **will** be out this month. Elvis has left the building, as they say.

Everyone's got their copy reserved right?

~R

THE_BEAST
05-10-2010, 10:39 PM
No way. Will have something for you guys soon, including a firm in-store date for the book.
It **will** be out this month. Elvis has left the building, as they say.

Everyone's got their copy reserved right?

~R

:thumbs2:

THE_BEAST
05-10-2010, 10:41 PM
Where could one buy a book such as you speak of???

Randy Queen
05-10-2010, 10:50 PM
Where could one buy a book such as you speak of???

Darkness / Darkchylde: Kingdom Pain
will be at your local comic shop in about two weeks.
http://www.comicshoplocator.com/

THE_BEAST
05-10-2010, 10:50 PM
Darkness / Darkchylde: Kingdom Pain
will be at your local comic shop in about two weeks.
http://www.comicshoplocator.com/

:thumbs2:

Randy Queen
05-15-2010, 05:52 AM
Just a quick heads up. (literally) Jerry and I are further considering the face at the factory, and hope to reveal both the art print and the new face toward the end of the month.

So stay tuned.

Meanwhile, Darkness / Darkchylde from Top Cow publications is IN STORES MAY 26th So Don't Miss it!

toe
05-15-2010, 06:16 AM
that is why I got confused that Darkchylde was by Top Cow due to the collaboration. Also, I love the new armor of Darkness.

Randy Queen
05-15-2010, 07:06 AM
that is why I got confused that Darkchylde was by Top Cow due to the collaboration. Also, I love the new armor of Darkness.

If you'd like to see more of Ariel, if you'd like to see more of the new Darkness Armor, if you'd like to see a PCS statue of the new Darkness Armor -- I simply cannot stress enough how important it is for fans to let their voices be heard on the Top Cow boards:

http://topcow.com/boards/index.php?

Thank you for your kind support, and have a great weekend.

A Cimmerian
05-15-2010, 10:10 AM
If Ariel gets a new, better face, I will definitely buy the statue.

OuttaSight
05-15-2010, 12:27 PM
If Ariel gets a new, better face, I will definitely buy the statue.

Working on it !

Bullseye
05-15-2010, 01:03 PM
I think it's amazing you guys are doing this. Bravo.

NamesJay
05-15-2010, 10:25 PM
Just a quick heads up. (literally) Jerry and I are further considering the face at the factory, and hope to reveal both the art print and the new face toward the end of the month.

So stay tuned.

Meanwhile, Darkness / Darkchylde from Top Cow publications is IN STORES MAY 26th So Don't Miss it!

These changes won't impact current Sideshow reservations will they?

redskullrudd
05-15-2010, 10:41 PM
is the Vs. book a one shot Randy? looking forward to picking it up next week.

OuttaSight
05-16-2010, 04:11 PM
These changes won't impact current Sideshow reservations will they?

Nope

Vallos
05-16-2010, 04:32 PM
Will this change affect the release date?

vpw
05-17-2010, 01:58 AM
new face will be interesting....:)

OuttaSight
05-17-2010, 02:43 PM
Will this change affect the release date?

it might by a few weeks. Nothing major as we already spaced it pretty far out there.