View Full Version : Calgary Expo. Who's going

Fremen
03-10-2010, 01:55 PM
Brom is going to be there. I'm so excited. :vortex:

Leonard Nimoy, Brent Spiner, Helo (BSG)

Who's going?

Wookiee
03-15-2010, 12:04 PM
I may be going. A lot closer to home so it makes travel fairly reasonable.

Quicksilver
03-18-2010, 03:26 PM
im DEFINATLEY going!! already got my advance tickets in the mail, wont have to wait in any lines, hell yeah!!!

I am extremely stoked to meet leonard and brent...very, very stoked.

koten
04-07-2010, 02:39 AM
Are there generally lots of statues for sale at the Calgary Expo?

sputnik
04-07-2010, 11:51 AM
Yes, lots of statues. I also have my advance ticket and will be travelling to Vulcan on the Friday. The town will be welcoming Nimoy and unveiling a statue for him. Great photo op!

Quicksilver
04-07-2010, 05:11 PM
Yes, lots of statues. I also have my advance ticket and will be travelling to Vulcan on the Friday. The town will be welcoming Nimoy and unveiling a statue for him. Great photo op!

oh what, thats awesome!!!!! make sure you post the pics.

Are there generally lots of statues for sale at the Calgary Expo?

there is lots of good stuff, dont worry about that! last year I bought 3 statues and I think 6 busts, plus a bunch of trades and other stuff

Fremen
04-19-2010, 03:43 PM
Sooo...There's only 3 of us going?

Quicksilver
04-21-2010, 02:34 PM
Im so stoked for the expo Saturday! Im also super stoked for seeing a clockwork orange with malcolm mcdowell friday night!!

Fremen
04-21-2010, 02:40 PM
I too am very excited. Can't wait to meet Brom.

This is the highlight of the event for me for sure.
I have photo ops with Leonary Nimoy, The battlestar guys and Brent (Data)

Quicksilver
04-21-2010, 02:51 PM
I too am very excited. Can't wait to meet Brom.

This is the highlight of the event for me for sure.
I have photo ops with Leonary Nimoy, The battlestar guys and Brent (Data)

Are you going to be at the screening of a clockwork orange as well? I missed out on the chance to get photo op tickets with nemoy and brent, but im going to see if ill be able to do it still while at the expo, my friends want to take one big group shot with him haha either way im going to bring a nice star trek hardcover I have for nemoy and brent to sign.

Overall besides brent and nemoy I found this years celebrity lineup to be a little lacking, what do you think? I dont know anything about battlestar galactica and I dont think I care enough to meet lando calrissean :p

koten
04-25-2010, 12:24 PM
So guys, any nice pick-ups? Sweet deals?

Fremen
04-25-2010, 02:38 PM
I tried to pick up, but sadly, he's married.

http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p2/a_racy/CalExpo044a.jpg

Quicksilver
04-26-2010, 11:24 AM
hahaha very nice Fremen!

I had a great time at the expo this year, but as far as statues/busts goes I was pretty dissapointed...there wasn't nearly as much as last year, and what they did have seemed to be overpriced. I surprisingly didn't buy a single bust or statue this year, while last year i think i bought about 3 statues and 5 busts.

I did pickup a retro justice league tin sign poster, a signed guile vs ryu print, a badass pair of hookswords and sais, and a bunch of autographs. I got an autogrpah from bruce timm, steve niles, chris claremont, and matt wagner, matt even drew a bad ass sketch on my trinity hardcover!!!

unfortunatley I did not get to meet leonard nemoy or brent spiner :( :(

the special screening of a clockwork orange friday at the plaza was great, Malcolm seemed really cool, and it was such an awesome movie.

Fremen
04-26-2010, 11:35 AM
I agree. Way to overpriced for the statues that were there. I saw Yoda and Stormtrooper PF from Sideshow, 414.00. Conisidering the Canadian dollar is pretty much at par with the US, way to much.

I did end up picking up the Come back Special Elvis PF for 150.00. I've always liked it and it was finally offered for cheap so I grabbed it.

I did the Photo Op with Leonard Nimoy, Brent Spiner, and the battlestar guys and got bases for my collectibles signed by each of them.

It was a zoo, but I had fun.

Quicksilver
04-26-2010, 11:49 AM
Yeah that Yoda/clone was the only statue I really wanted there but A/D wouldn't go lower on the price, they were staying firm on $414 so I told him i'd just buy it from SS since its in stock for about 75$ less then what they were charging hahaha good ol' A/D, overpriced as always.

Congrats on the Elvis PF, great price too!! since I didn't get to meet nemoy and spiner, you gotta tell me, how were they? really cool or all business?

Fremen
04-26-2010, 01:21 PM
Yeah, I don't think I'll be doing any shopping at A/D.

They were all business. Too many ppl to really get a chance to talk to either of them. I just got my pics and bases signed and moved on.

The Battlestar guys were great though. Especially the Chief. He was so nice.

I was mostly there to see Brom anyway. That was a huge deal for me. He was super nice and meeting him finally was great. I just wish he had brought more stuff with him. He brought next to nothing.

Fremen
04-26-2010, 01:23 PM
Oh, I also bought that T-Shirt of Captain Kirk kissing Princess Leia. Classic. Did you see it?

Quicksilver
04-26-2010, 02:50 PM
that sucks they were all business, I really wanted to actually talk to nemoy and spiner, if I didnt get to I would have been choked so maybe its good I missed my chance haha

I dont know much about Brom, what is he in?

I didn't see that t-shirt haha if I did I would have picked it up!!!

Fremen
04-26-2010, 03:14 PM
I'll try and take a pic of that T-Shirt tonight. It is so funny.

Brom is a big-shot fantasy artist. Has done a lot of art for Magic the gathering, book covers, worked on movies, he's just worked on so much stuff and is one of the top fantasy artists out there.
check out www.bromart.com I think that's his web site.

Sideshow put out a statue of his in 99. Gazelle (spelling) Franklin mint has also put out a number of statues of his art.

He also has written a number of books.

Here.
Enjoy.

http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p2/a_racy/scan0003.jpg

http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p2/a_racy/scan0002.jpg

Quicksilver
04-26-2010, 03:40 PM
awesome pics Fremen!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! so awesome!!!! you are a lucky, lucky girl :D

definatley post a pic of the shirt if you can, it seems hilarious lol thanks for the info on Brom, ill check out his work!!

Fremen
04-27-2010, 12:15 AM
Here's the T-Shirt.

http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p2/a_racy/message%20board/elvis001.jpg

Quicksilver
04-27-2010, 02:53 PM
hahahahaha that is an amazing T-Shirt Fremen, I love it!

Matches Malone
04-30-2010, 11:01 AM
Hey folks, all in all how was the Expo? Better or worse than last year? I was out of town and had to miss it, which sucks as I had just finished putting together a bad a$$ Dark Knight suit.

My best buddy who went said he was disappointed as it was too disorganized in regards to line-ups to meet the talent ect. and what was being offered in the booths. I know that he was really really let down by Tony Harris not making it as he is a big fan.

I predicted it might be a bit of a gong show based on the calibre of talent from Star Trek and Star Wars and not to mention the Twiglit addition all of which would bring in fans who may have passed in the past.

Quicksilver
04-30-2010, 01:19 PM
I dont think it was as good as last year unfortunatley. The product selection was terrible, at least I thought so. I think the lines, at least for entrance were done better this year.

Fremen
04-30-2010, 01:26 PM
The lines were a nightmare for photo ops. Twisting through each other and just huge.

risingstar
04-30-2010, 03:43 PM
Sadly, there's no escaping lineups, not even if you arrive early. My worry is how the babies (they're 2.5 and 0.6 old now) will handle it when they're old enough to be taken to the SDCC.

Matches Malone
04-30-2010, 11:46 PM
Thanks for the updates guys. Hopefully they learn from this year and improve next. Also it would be great to do it on a weekend (or at a venue) where they don't have to share it with another big event like the womens show.

I hope that the Calgary Expo can get a big name marketing a fresh upcoming product next year. Imagine Ryan Reynolds doing a Green Lantern teaser and QA. He is Canadian after all.... A Wolverine 2 bit would also be great though this movie will likely not showcase Canada at all outside of a potential closing shot.

Matches Malone
04-30-2010, 11:53 PM
Sadly, there's no escaping lineups, not even if you arrive early. My worry is how the babies (they're 2.5 and 0.6 old now) will handle it when they're old enough to be taken to the SDCC.

It gets dicey. I took my then 3.5 year old to a small local con. Despite being a cute as a button Batgirl who got compliments galore and a free sketch from Tom Grummet just for being cute it didn't take long for her interest to wane. That coupled with "don't touch" directives that are somewhat foreign to her at home and at Toys R Us made it a shorter trip even though she is a pretty big comic fan herself.

My advice to you is to tag team with the wife and one shops and lines up while the other just runs around wherever the kids pull them. That or you go to the con and give the Mrs. and kids and all expenses paid trip to Sea World.

risingstar
05-01-2010, 04:14 AM
It gets dicey. I took my then 3.5 year old to a small local con. Despite being a cute as a button Batgirl who got compliments galore and a free sketch from Tom Grummet just for being cute it didn't take long for her interest to wane. That coupled with "don't touch" directives that are somewhat foreign to her at home and at Toys R Us made it a shorter trip even though she is a pretty big comic fan herself.

My advice to you is to tag team with the wife and one shops and lines up while the other just runs around wherever the kids pull them. That or you go to the con and give the Mrs. and kids and all expenses paid trip to Sea World.

Hey... I wanna go to Sea World too! And, there's no way the wife is gonna pass on the SDCC treats and greets! Hopefully, by the time we go, we'll have a better plan in mind. In the meantime, we'll look into injecting them with subepidural GPS implant signals... lol.

Matches Malone
05-01-2010, 01:30 PM
Hey... I wanna go to Sea World too! And, there's no way the wife is gonna pass on the SDCC treats and greets! Hopefully, by the time we go, we'll have a better plan in mind. In the meantime, we'll look into injecting them with subepidural GPS implant signals... lol.

PM me if you find a place that will give us a deal on multiple unit purchaces :laugh:

...and yeah Sea World kicks a$$