PDA

View Full Version : Avengers #1

fenix v.2.0
05-20-2010, 02:52 AM
Anyone else disappointed with the art?

twoferflinchin
05-20-2010, 02:58 AM
Cap looked like a little kid. I used to love Romita back in the day, but his art is painful to look at now. Bring back Perez.

fenix v.2.0
05-20-2010, 03:03 AM
Cap looked like a little kid. I used to love Romita back in the day, but his art is painful to look at now. Bring back Perez.

Cap reminded me of Johnny Storm. JRJR's art is looking worse and worse.

Argonus
05-20-2010, 03:23 AM
Cap reminded me of Johnny Storm. JRJR's art is looking worse and worse.

Worse than usual?

Is that possible? :laugh:

abarron
05-20-2010, 03:24 AM
Haven't got it in hand yet but some of the preview pics didn't look so great

Primal
05-20-2010, 06:29 AM
I cant believe anyone was remotely looking forward to this "Heroic Age" business based on the incredibly dull preview pics and premise. I was dreading the end of Dark Reign/Siege knowing this was just around the corner. JRJR was great in the 70s/80s but has since changed his artstyle...let's just say, not for the better.

joefixit2
05-20-2010, 06:40 AM
I cant believe anyone was remotely looking forward to this "Heroic Age" business based on the incredibly dull preview pics and premise. I was dreading the end of Dark Reign/Siege knowing this was just around the corner. JRJR was great in the 70s/80s but has since changed his artstyle...let's just say, not for the better.
The Heroic Age is more than just this book and why woud I write a book off just based on the art? With that said, JRJR needs to go a Spidey book.

Primal
05-20-2010, 06:47 AM
The Heroic Age is more than just this book and why woud I write a book off just based on the art? With that said, JRJR needs to go a Spidey book.

I said based on the art and premise. Going back to the big 3 in the Avengers along with some of the characters mentioned in the lineup didnt appeal to me in the least. The cool thing about Dark Reign/Siege was that the status quo was radically changed. This was an easy pass at the shop but I'll be checking out the reviews.

wktf
05-20-2010, 08:05 AM
I said based on the art and premise. Going back to the big 3 in the Avengers along with some of the characters mentioned in the lineup didnt appeal to me in the least. The cool thing about Dark Reign/Siege was that the status quo was radically changed. This was an easy pass at the shop but I'll be checking out the reviews.

I'll have it up in The Mighty Reviews later this morning. Some of the comments made earlier in this thread are consistent with the review I wrote last night, though.

tedmic
05-20-2010, 08:37 AM
JRJR was great in the 70s/80s but has since changed his artstyle...let's just say, not for the better.

So true sadly.

rilynil
05-20-2010, 08:38 AM
I enjoyed the first issue, but not because of the art.

THECLOWN KNIGHT
05-20-2010, 10:09 AM
A total let down the art.

But as mentioned I think we all knew how it will turn out with JRJR (just take a look at World War Hulk).

His style DOES NOT fit an Avengers book.

I think Marvel chose him because he is fast & on time with the deadlines.

Lord Loki
05-20-2010, 06:11 PM
I was surprised by his art in WWH it was alright. But just the previews of this look a bad but Im giving it a chance.

patrickwm68
05-20-2010, 06:17 PM
Jr Jr's Hulkbuster suit for WW Hulk was terrible.

ratchet
05-20-2010, 06:23 PM
JRJR hasn't impressed me for some time. His "boxy" style is great at times - but lately alot of what he's doing seems out of scale and not fluid. His action scenes are completely boring looking.

He seems so hit or miss...

HIT:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v221/Spiderman_Cavy/WWH01secondprinting.jpg

LOVE this image - but miss:

http://hulkcollection.files.wordpress.com/2009/12/lexihulk-012.jpg

I just hate the way this action scene looks. What is the Thing doing exactly?

mwf6171
05-20-2010, 06:54 PM
JRJR hasn't impressed me for some time. His "boxy" style is great at times - but lately alot of what he's doing seems out of scale and not fluid. His action scenes are completely boring looking.

He seems so hit or miss...

HIT:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v221/Spiderman_Cavy/WWH01secondprinting.jpg

LOVE this image - but miss:

http://hulkcollection.files.wordpress.com/2009/12/lexihulk-012.jpg

I just hate the way this action scene looks. What is the Thing doing exactly?

Wow, I think I feel the exact OPPOSITE as you when specifically speaking of the two examples you have posted.

Arakius
05-20-2010, 07:20 PM
Me too! In the first image the hulk looks like someone gave him a wedgie or like he is falling backwards. The second picture is much better IMO.

ratchet
05-20-2010, 08:03 PM
Ugh - I hate it - the Hulk looks terrible in the seconf pic - as does the Thing - and thier poses are just horrible - it doesn't look like the Hulk threw a punch - and the Thing looks like he tripped or something... as far as an action scene - the Hulk jumping and attacking Blackbolt is WAY better!

joefixit2
05-20-2010, 09:43 PM
I do like the first pic better than the second. Hulk looks too off in the 2nd pic. They just need to put him on a Spidey book and move on.

THECLOWN KNIGHT
05-20-2010, 09:46 PM
The first Hulk is like he's dancing Thriller.

Peter-Vell
05-21-2010, 04:03 AM
Can anybody remember a 5 issue mini-series of daredevil, called "Daredevil; the man without fear", done by JRJR and written by Frank Miller, back in 1993 ?

I thougth is was great, very powerful and cinematic, even though his art wasn't that different from what he does now...

But, I must admit, it's probably Frank Miller's writing that made it so powerful and cinematic...

Statue and Bust
05-21-2010, 05:51 AM
I didn't have very high expectations for this. The writing was OK (not great) but the art killed it for me. I actually put it down the first time I tried reading it because of the art. I'm hoping JRJR is just there for the first arc.

joefixit2
05-21-2010, 06:36 AM
Can anybody remember a 5 issue mini-series of daredevil, called "Daredevil; the man without fear", done by JRJR and written by Frank Miller, back in 1993 ?

I thougth is was great, very powerful and cinematic, even though his art wasn't that different from what he does now...

But, I must admit, it's probably Frank Miller's writing that made it so powerful and cinematic...
That was an origin story as I recall, it never had DD in his actual costume. JRJRs artwork was good in that book. He seems to do better with the more human heroes like DD and Spidey.

wktf
05-21-2010, 07:52 AM
That was an origin story as I recall, it never had DD in his actual costume. JRJRs artwork was good in that book. He seems to do better with the more human heroes like DD and Spidey.

It was, and DD showed up in costume at the very end. JRJR's art WAS good in that book though I don't recall who inked him. This was a stellar story all the way around. I do think the inker is important. Janson actually inked JRJR really well when he was on Thor with Dan Jurgens, at least at the beginning. I seem to remember that when Thanos and Mangog got into the story that the art fell apart somewhat.

abarron
05-29-2010, 08:41 AM
Just got round to reading this issues.
Pretty good start but yeah the art is a bit loose

rilynil
05-29-2010, 12:23 PM
The sameness of JRJR's faces are just waaaaay too distracting for me.

THECLOWN KNIGHT
05-29-2010, 12:29 PM
Not to mention the hair styles of Ms. Marvel & Spider-Woman......just horrible.