wktf
05-27-2010, 11:46 AM
Wktf’s Reviews

War of the Supermen #4 (of 4)
DC Comics
Written by: James Robinson & Steling Gates
Drawn by: Eddie Barrows, Cafu & Eduardo Pnsica
Cover by: Eddie Barrows, JP Mayer & Rod Reis

The 100 minute war between Generals Zod and Lane officially ends with this issue. When this thing started I couldn’t imagine how Earth, even with the aid of Superman, could stand up to an army of angry Kryptonians. And angry doesn’t even begin to describe them after issue #1 for, now, Zod is not merely striking out at those loved by the House of El nor the people who’d attacked New Krypton before, but at those who destroyed not just the very new home they’d created but the majority of their very race. Yes, General Lane can officially be labeled a genocidal maniac. As this story has progressed each side, be it Lane or Zod, has seemed to take the advantage only to have the tide quickly shift back to the other side, causing the reader to experiences a pretty rapid-fire and continuous back-and-forth. During all of this Lois Lane, who was about to publically call out her deranged father, had been captured by her superpowered sister and was being held by her maniacal father while the grieving Kal-El and Kara had been out in space, up until the end of the very last issue, trying to stop the invasion by the few surviving Kryptonians, a race nearly wiped out with a device supplied to General Lane by Luthor.

With the vast majority of Zod’s army floating dead in space, General Lane had successfully, remarkably and brutally trimmed Zod’s army to a tenth of what it had been. Still, even with only 1/10th of Zod’s army still intact how can seven thousand hostile beings, each with the power of Superman, not prove to be a serious and devastating force to our planet? And, sure enough, Zod’s remaining army tears through Earth’s defenses across nearly every continent, sewing horrible death and destruction wherever they go. And with only Superman, Supergirl, Superboy, Steel and even the forces of the Justice League against this super powered army of thousands, even the promised showdown between Superman and Zod, as well as Ursa vs. Kara, can’t be much more than too little too late.

This final issue is, in fact, the final showdown and it’s every bit as brutal as forecasted. Zod and Ursa both are out for blood and they’re every bit as malevolent as they’ve always been, except now with even greater motivation. And as hard fought as the battle between Superman and Zod is, it’s the one between Ursa and Supergirl that truly turns ugly. And, as bad as things turn for her in this fight, the reader’s greatest fear for her should come from her confrontation with General Lane. In the end, of course, those who should see punishment find it in the worst ways possible while the members of our cast who remain must somehow figure out how to pick up the pieces of their lives. All in all, this issue provided an ending that delivered nearly as powerfully as this event began, but not quite. And, in total, Gates and Robinson spun a pretty tight mini-event that, really, was primarily hampered by my only real complaint throughout this series: the progressive deterioration in artistic talent from issue to issue. If Barrows had been able to stay on the story beyond issue #0 it might have made it a truly great and memorable Superman story. Having him back even for only part of this issue was a treat but Pansica and Cafu, who share the art chores here, just don’t measure up to Barrows’ work. And, in the end, I find myself more interested in where JMS is going to take Superman going forward than I am in how this series wrapped up.

Secret Avengers #1
Marvel Comics
Written by: Ed Brubaker
Drawn by: Mike Deodato
Cover by: Marko Djurdjevic

With The Avengers #1 having kicked off last week and the prime time team now in place, this week brings us the not quite so prime time team of other players. Steve Rogers Secret Avengers, a covert team of heroes who seek out more secretive threats than the primary team, who tackles this job and, ultimately stops mankind from destroying itself. And while Steve’s picked Maria Hill to lead The Avengers, he’s taking a far more active hand in leading this team of Secret Avengers. In fact, right up to the point of lending his considerable fighting powers and skills to The Black Widow and Valkyrie, two ladies who most certainly can handle themselves, in order to take out a small army of enemy troops as they secure a “package” that’s most certainly known to any long-time Avengers and Sub-Mariner fans.

Brubaker does a deft job of keeping the present activity flowing while, at the same time, showing moments when Cap…sorry, I mean Steve…recruited various members like Moon Knight and Ant-Man to the team. The mix of characters here is pretty interesting with more stable personalities like The Beast, Black Widow, Valkyrie and, of course, Steve, mixed with less stable characters like Moon Knight, Nova (still dealing with the trauma he suffered in the Annihilation) and Ant-Man. And, of course, it’ll be interesting to see how Bru handles the relationship between Bucky and Natashia in the core Captain America book now that they’re each on separate Avengers teams. Just based on how well Bru has captured the voices of each individual character and how well he seems to have integrated them which, of course, shouldn’t be too hard when Cap…I mean Steve…is leading the team. And, of course, it’s really great to have Bru writing Steve Rogers again if he’s not doing that in his Captain America book.

The threats in this first issue alone seem to come from all sides. Roxxon Oil, the powerfully evil force that seems to have reached out to Nova, and then there’s that surprise element at the very end that I certainly didn’t see coming and have to wonder exactly what the hell’s up given the sudden appearance of a Marvel mainstay who’s relationship to Steve and his team certainly was very different during the Siege on Asgard. Yes, as first issues for new concept titles go, this one’s off to a fast paced and pretty slick start. I like the underground feel of this book, kind of what New Avengers was after Civil War but on a much grander and more global scale. And I’m delighted to see Deodato still on an Avengers book. I have to admit there was a time when his style just didn’t work for me, but I’m a convert know. He’s perfect for this darker team of seeming misanthropes and for the fast paced action this title will demand, and even for the slightly slower and more espionage-like pace it will require and even evidenced somewhat this very issue. Most definitely, this title is my pick of the week.

Thor #610
Marvel Comics
Written by: Kieron Gillen
Drawn by: Doug Braithwaite
Cover by: Mico Suayan & Laura Martin

Okay, So the vapid Sentry issue was billed as the Siege Epilogue but, really, the final issue of Dark Avengers was the real Siege Epilogue. No, wait. This issue of Thor, right on the cover, is branded Siege: Epilogue. Will this story never end? Really, I think this issue more properly should be called Civil War epilogue as it brings back a character who was so universally reviled from Civil War and for whom Mark Millar was able to sneak in a Lloyd Benson quote uttered by Hercules who, in that well known event, caved in this character’s skull. In the Dark Reign pages of The Initiative book Clor was reintroduced under his new name of Ragnarok and, most recently, at the end of a beating this vile fiend was giving to Volstagg, all of Asgard came crashing down on top of him.

Here, at last, finally we have the reckoning Thor must give the hated clone who killed Bill Foster those years ago. But in addition to that we must have a reconciliation that’s even more important, between brothers Baldar and Thor. Is Thor to remain an exile from Asgard? Is Baldar still considered fit to rule? What should be the future of both great and noble characters where Asgard is concerned? Gillen and Braithwaite combine to answer all these questions, provide the needed confrontations, each of its own manner, and with resolutions that are as graphically satisfying as they ultimately must make sense.

Given Thor’s and Asgard’s central place in the Siege event and given the confrontation between Thor and Clor that’s been anticipated by fans for years since Civil War, I’m willing to let this additional epilogue go without feel like Marvel’s dragging Siege out too long or trying too hard to milk it for the reader’s last dollar. And, while this certainly is not the best Thor story Gillen’s cranked out in his short tenure on the book, this comic is a truly satisfying one-and-done issue in how it leaves Thor and Baldar as well and closing the long awaited curtain on an abomination in a way that readers most wanted to see go down.

Dawg’s Reviews

X-Force # 27 (Second Coming Chapter 9)
Marvel Comics
Written by: Craig Kyle, Chris Yost
Art by: Mike Choi, Sonia Oback

For anyone that thought the mutants of the Marvel Universe had fallen on desperate times before this story, they can now amend those thoughts. Things have gotten even worse for Cyclops and his flock as Bastion has assembled a team to annihilate the mutant race once and for all. Bastion: A super Sentinel/Nimrod hybrid has pulled out all the stops on eradicating the X-Men and has done so with surgical precision. Many are wounded and a few precious mutants have even been killed to protect what Cyclops and Cable believe to be the salvation of their entire race. That salvation is a young girl aptly named Hope and she is the first mutant birth recorded since M Day. Cyclops and his X-Men have done everything possible to ensure that Hope may grow up to the age where she can manifest her powers and become the salvation and/or “messiah” they need.

Cyclops even sent her into the future with Cable to duck and doge any possible threats to her growth and development. Cable not only raised hope, but he raised her to be a warrior and be able to take care of herself and others like a soldier would.

The time has come and Cable and Hope have found their way back from the future and into the X-Men’s care, but not without a running total of casualties piling up in the infirmary.

Bastion has loosed more sentinels down upon the X-Men and here in this chapter 9, things seem almost impossibly grim for Cycke and crew. They are trapped in a bubble that is a mix of chronal energy, as well as other types of impenetrable force and matter.

The sentinels have been pushed back, but they are slowly picking off mutants and eventually will overwhelm them all unless Cyclops does something drastic.

In a last ditch effort and with a heavy heart, Cyclops calls on X-Force for another mission. In doing this he exposes X-Forces existence to all those mutants who were yet unaware of this mutant wet works squad. Most notably in this issue Storm who seems a bit out of character for her reaction as she has killed many times herself.

There’s something more that Cyclops isn’t telling everyone though. Cable only has enough juice left for one more jump into the time stream. This mission is a one way ticket for Cable and X-Force and they all know it and yet they willingly accept. Cyclops has sent them on a suicide mission to find the technology that Bastion is using from the future.

This was a great issue and it helped bump the plot into the next phase of the adventure. We still have a few chapters left, but they have more than established the danger that the mutants are up against. In truth most of the credit in the beginning of this issue belongs to Mike Choi and Sonia Oback for having to deliver the first third of the story without a single word of dialogue.

The only thing that bothered me in this part of the story was the “been there, done that” concept of needing to send someone into the future with no way back, in order to save them all. It almost makes Cyclops seem like a one trick pony.

I can’t wait for the next issue though and this crossover is quietly moving along with far more energy and excitement than most highly touted events.

The X-Men are relevant again and it’s about time.

Wolverine Weapon X #13
Marvel Comics
Written by: Jason Aaron
Drawn by: Ron Garney

I was completely bummed to hear that this title was being cancelled. Jason Aaron on Wolverine is the best thing that has happened to the character since the 80’s. The good news is, that in the same breath of disappointment I had at hearing of this book’s demise, I was uplifted to hear that Jason Aaron will be relaunching a new Wolverine series to replace it as the flagship Wolverine book.

This arc so far has been my favorite Wolverine story in many moons. It all started with that incredible issue #11 in which Wolverine and Steve Rogers go pub-crawling to celebrate Steve being back and to actually have a few moments where the characters truly show their respect for each other.

What ensues of course is a bar brawl, a Deathlok cyborg from the future has come back to destroy threats that haven’t come to be threats yet, ala Terminator style.

Last issue Deathlok turned his sites toward the current Captain America James Buchanan Barnes. Wolvie does what he does best and jumps in and the two of them go to clay town against the cyborgs.

This issue we don’t miss a beat as Steve Rogers and the Avengers join the fray and find out that Roxxon has been funding these new Deathloks and it appears that Roxxon is a new up and coming player in the Marvel Universe, as well as a repeated thorn in Wolverine’s side.

Wolverine and Buck seek out the man who in the future, will build these Deathloks and it turns out that he is experimenting on reanimating dead creatures and humans with technology as soldiers to handle death missions.

The chaos doesn’t end there though because Bucky and Wolvie have the creator get wiped out by one of his own Deathlok’s from the future. What does that mean? It should get better right? The guy that created the cyborgs is dead, so they should never again be a threat right?

Wrong… it can only get worse from here.

I have to say, I really enjoy seeing Wolverine interact with other characters from the Marvel Universe in a Wolverine book. Too often Marvel tries to separate Logan on these stealth missions to somewhere there are ninjas, or people from his hidden past after him. Here we get Logan embroiled in a caper in which we have excellent moments like Jessica Drew saying, “so I hear you have a new girlfriend?” We get to see Bucky and Logan jaw back and forth about who saved whose ass. It all feels a bit more relevant because it doesn’t seem as much like a throwaway story like many Wolverine stories are. That couple with Roxxon also being the heavy in the first issue of Secret Avengers, it certainly feels like this story is cohesive enough to be enjoyed and matter which is why I loved the first issue with Logan and Steve out celebrating together.

This all belongs to Jason Aaron and Ron Garney. These guys together are dynamite. Oh and that raises another awesome point if you are a Ron Garney fan… Seeing his take on Spidey again and reading his verbal mix-it-up with Ben Grimm is hilarious. A Wolverine comic that is fun without being cheesy? Who’d have thunk it?

Green Lantern #54
DC Comics
Written by: Goeff Johns
Drawn by: Doug Mahnke

This will be my shortest ever review for a Green Lantern comic book. Not because there aren’t a tremendous amount of cool things that happened in it, because there was. We have the white light source; we have Sinestro, Carol Ferris, Hal Jordan, and a look at all of the entities once again thanks to Atrocitus and his rage.

All of that in itself is worthy of my going on and on with my usual praise. I’m not going to do that though here. I will say there is one reason for Green Lantern fans to buy this book if nothing else.

Dextarr the red lantern makes another appearance. Times are tough economically speaking of course. But seeing this lantern and what he does, to me, is worth the cover price. You have to love thinking of the concept of a cat being a red lantern.

THECLOWN KNIGHT
05-27-2010, 01:33 PM
Hello guys.

Secret Avengers will be my Avengers book. The end was so freaking awesome that
I want # 2 right now!

Happy to see Steve & Sharon together.

Love the dialogue between Black Widow & Valkyrie! plus they are/look super HOT!!!!

I think the style of Deodato Jr. works perfectly with the atmosphere of the book.

kal-el
05-27-2010, 02:13 PM
Dawg you hit it on the head with this issue of GL. Since Johns will be doing a Larfleeze Christmas Special I want a Dexstarr Halloween Special. That is one cool cat.

wktf
05-27-2010, 03:39 PM
Dawg’s Reviews

Wolverine Weapon X #13
Marvel Comics

...This all belongs to Jason Aaron and Ron Garney. These guys together are dynamite. Oh and that raises another awesome point if you are a Ron Garney fan… Seeing his take on Spidey again and reading his verbal mix-it-up with Ben Grimm is hilarious. A Wolverine comic that is fun without being cheesy? Who’d have thunk it?

Dawg, I thought this was HILARIOUS! I loved the way Spidey was teasing Ben and Ben's reaction to him. Aaron is one of today's most brilliant writers and seeing Ron Ganey drawing Spider-Man again was just icing on the cake! :buttrock:

THECLOWN KNIGHT
05-27-2010, 05:33 PM
Dawg you hit it on the head with this issue of GL. Since Johns will be doing a Larfleeze Christmas Special I want a Dexstarr Halloween Special. That is one cool cat.

What?!

That sound/would be really cool!

lord odin
05-30-2010, 03:03 PM
I didn't like War of the Supermen at the end everything is back to the way it was before it even started.
All of those Kryptonians dead along with the planet was to me a huge waste of future stories.
It was cool seeing you know who "dead" but it's obvious it's one of Toyman's action figures like the one of Luthor.

rilynil
05-30-2010, 03:33 PM
Dawg, I thought this was HILARIOUS! I loved the way Spidey was teasing Ben and Ben's reaction to him. Aaron is one of today's most brilliant writers and seeing Ron Ganey drawing Spider-Man again was just icing on the cake! :buttrock:

I agree! Also, this is just another reason why bringing Ben Grimm into the wider Marvel Universe via the Avengers is a great idea. Ben has been much underutilized by appearing only in the Fantastic Four comics.

bat_collector
06-01-2010, 05:40 PM
GL indeed rocked! The red lantern kitty is the best!

ABDGUY
06-02-2010, 12:40 PM
Wolverine Weapon X #13
Marvel Comics

I was completely bummed to hear that this title was being cancelled.

Damnit all to hell....what issue will be the last?

Just picked up the first two HCs to this series too....