PDA

View Full Version : Question on Digital Sculpting

tamato
06-20-2010, 09:54 PM
Please excuse my naivety as I am new to sculpting and it is not my intention to offend anyone. But can someone explain the process of physically creating the sculpture after you have designed it with Z brush or similar programs? Is there actual hand sculpting involved or is it created using some kind of dimensional printer? Seeing some of the posts with finished pics by digital sculptors really look almost too good to have been hand sculpted, although I have seen some amazing talent around here! Again I hope not to offend, I am just trying to learn all I can about all aspects of the medium.

AYsculpture
06-20-2010, 10:19 PM
well after the sculpt is done in zbrush , you prepare the 3d data for a special printer ,which prints your sculpt

there is some polishing ,assembly involved and somethimes u need to touch up somethings by hand .. i always love it when both mediums are used to get the final product :) a combination of digital and traditional medium

mufizal
06-20-2010, 10:28 PM
Hi ,
Heres an article i found on digital printing ,
maybe it can be useful ,

http://www.zbrushcentral.com/showthread.php?t=57065

And heres the link to an exporter that prepares your files for printing .

http://www.zbrushcentral.com/showthread.php?t=071266

Mufizal

tamato
06-21-2010, 02:06 AM
thanks for the info I will study it!

tamato
06-22-2010, 01:35 AM
what material is used to "print" the dimensional final sculpture?

T-Bonz
06-22-2010, 10:27 PM
Please excuse my naivety as I am new to sculpting and it is not my intention to offend anyone. But can someone explain the process of physically creating the sculpture after you have designed it with Z brush or similar programs? Is there actual hand sculpting involved or is it created using some kind of dimensional printer? Seeing some of the posts with finished pics by digital sculptors really look almost too good to have been hand sculpted, although I have seen some amazing talent around here! Again I hope not to offend, I am just trying to learn all I can about all aspects of the medium.

there is no hand sculpting involved at all. the touch up and sanding AYsculpture refer to is no more than what a typical kit builder goes through and it is not sculpting. the printing is done by machine and the medium is some sort of powder which the machine solidified in layers.