PDA

View Full Version : NYCC: Adam Hughes!

VaultMan
07-30-2010, 04:10 PM
Hey all,

I'm thinking of trying to get a commission at this years NYCC (my first ever :thumbs2:) from Adam Hughes (yeah, me and about 10,000 other people).

Anyone ever dealt with him before, is he cool, and is he expensive? Thoughts?

VM

Argonus
07-30-2010, 04:11 PM
Hey all,

I'm thinking of trying to get a commission at this years NYCC (my first ever :thumbs2:) from Adam Hughes (yeah, me and about 10,000 other people).

VM

I'm hungry.

VaultMan
07-30-2010, 04:15 PM
Thread hijacker!! :stick:

Go eat some hot pockets...I bought some yesterday. Look in the fridge behind the ice cream sammiches.

abarron
07-30-2010, 04:16 PM
I am hoping to try and get a little head sketch or something.
I can't afford even trying to get on his list

VaultMan
07-30-2010, 04:18 PM
My lack of experience getting commissions prolly has me living in a fantasy world about getting a piece from Hughes.

Wait - that sounded bad :laugh:

Underdog07
07-30-2010, 04:34 PM
just search Hughes in the comic art section

Argonus
07-30-2010, 04:37 PM
Thread hijacker!! :stick:

Go eat some hot pockets...I bought some yesterday. Look in the fridge behind the ice cream sammiches.

:laugh:

Good luck with the commission, Eric.. Adam Hughes is awesome. :)

The Batfan
07-30-2010, 05:03 PM
just search Hughes in the comic art section

yes look for RANTS LOL

VaultMan
07-30-2010, 11:27 PM
:thinking: Methinks Im not gonna get me an Adam Hughes piece at NYCC

Daredevil
07-30-2010, 11:30 PM
how can I get a free head sketch?

liamsynclair
07-30-2010, 11:44 PM
Is his pieces still 200$ or 400$ if he cherry picks ur character?

Tattoo-X
07-31-2010, 02:56 AM
Is his pieces still 200$ or 400$ if he cherry picks ur character?

Over a year ago it was $200. I've heard a couple of years ago or so, it was $800 at SDCC. It's more of a supply and demand sort of thing.

Tattoo-X
07-31-2010, 02:57 AM
how can I get a free head sketch?

I think it's very doubtful from Adam.

Tattoo-X
07-31-2010, 03:01 AM
Hey all,

VM

Yes, he's cool, and expensive. I don't like his pick and choose method. Alison told me that one guy has tried for 7 years in a row to get a sketch, with no luck. And I've heard of guys getting one their first time.

liamsynclair
07-31-2010, 06:01 AM
Yes, he's cool, and expensive. I don't like his pick and choose method. Alison told me that one guy has tried for 7 years in a row to get a sketch, with no luck. And I've heard of guys getting one their first time.

3 different times n counting for me...its hard enough to get on the list as it is...then to hope he diggs ur character selection is a whole nother ballgame!...I got 3 new tries though...if I don't make his list eventually with one of these 3 new 1s...I'm callin it quits for Hughes...

J Storm
07-31-2010, 07:03 AM
I think I'll bring my SS MJ & Mystique base for him to sign.

VaultMan
07-31-2010, 08:41 AM
I think I'll look for someone else... Hughes sounds like too much trouble

Royd
07-31-2010, 10:35 AM
No question, it is difficult to get on Adam's sketch list. However, his sketch price at all cons (except SDCC) is $400.00.

From memory, about 3 or 4 years back, he charged $600.00 for sketches at SDCC but only did a couple due to demands on his time. This year he did not sketch at SDCC.

Allison said to the Hughes-Fans Yahoo group that Adam would do quick head sketches if he had time available. I saw him do a lot of head sketches in the front of his Cover Run book for a donation of $5.00 to the Sheepdog Rescue charity group.

His booth at SDCC was busy throughout the con but he signed during certain times and did head sketches as well. Hope that helped to clarify things :) Best,

Royd

The Batfan
08-01-2010, 12:02 PM
3 different times n counting for me...its hard enough to get on the list as it is...then to hope he diggs ur character selection is a whole nother ballgame!...I got 3 new tries though...if I don't make his list eventually with one of these 3 new 1s...I'm callin it quits for Hughes...

..... 10 years of tryin 3 times or more #1 on list always in the top 10 on the list(oh and skipped over on my bday and had told allison would make a nice Bday present to finally get one (btw I was #2 on ths list that day) hell my Bday was even annouced at the show and other artists were giving me stuff for free those times and characters were Batgirl or Catwoman and nadda and he ended up doin at least one of those at every show where I was on the list and never picked me... so I said F it and started my rantings about it LOL Royd ya know I find no fault with you you have nothing to do with it other than runnin his yahoo group lol :)

Oh yeah this rant is all Liamssynclairs fault LOL

Simon Williams
08-01-2010, 12:32 PM
I think I'll look for someone else... Hughes sounds like too much trouble

Thats the best thing to do.And you wont have to deal with his girl.

VaultMan
08-01-2010, 12:36 PM
Thats the best thing to do.And you wont have to deal with his girl.

Thanks Simon.

And thanks all, I think thats what I'll do. I trust you guys, and your experience dealing with Hughes :thumbs2:

marvelboi77
08-01-2010, 01:42 PM
I think it's very doubtful from Adam.

At SDCC you could get a cheap head sketch for a $5 donation to an animal organization.

Simon Williams
08-01-2010, 01:44 PM
At SDCC you could get a cheap head sketch for a $5 donation to an animal organization.

I guess I will go that route at the con.

abarron
08-01-2010, 01:44 PM

Might give it a shot then

VaultMan
08-01-2010, 02:00 PM
Head sketch be damned!

Whats the point of having some Hughes work if it's not gonna be the whole, voluptuous female frame?!

Royd
08-01-2010, 04:35 PM
See my earlier post ;) Just kidding around Mike :)

Tattoo-X
08-01-2010, 06:56 PM

That must be something new. Allison sure loves those sheep dogs. I may get one of those, just for names sake.

ReplicantSavior
08-02-2010, 11:30 PM
Hey all,

VM

Here is a funny youtube series about people attempting to get Adam Hughes sketches.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aASqtfFGCys

Personally, I wouldn't bother with it. Hughes seems to do his best work in private. Although, many times his sketches are hits. A while back Hughes remarked some Supergirl lithographs with amazing sketches. That's the route I would go the next time he does this. I should have picked one up then but I was (and still am) waiting for a Wonder Woman masterpiece from Hughes.

The Batfan
08-03-2010, 01:25 AM
Here is a funny youtube series about people attempting to get Adam Hughes sketches.

Personally, I wouldn't bother with it. Hughes seems to do his best work in private. Although, many times his sketches are hits. A while back Hughes remarked some Supergirl lithographs with amazing sketches. That's the route I would go the next time he does this. I should have picked one up then but I was (and still am) waiting for a Wonder Woman masterpiece from Hughes.

Sooo Sad that John H( john if you read this no offense ment just me on my typical rant mood) was there at that time of the morning (there is NO artist I would get to a show that early) for by now as large of a collector as he is he should get preferntial treatment and artists should be honored to do pieces for his collection..

Bishop40
08-03-2010, 02:06 PM
lol thanks for posting that link that was very amusing. i've only tried to get on his list once and that was at c2e2 but i'm with batfan i'm not getting up before the sun comes out and if i do i better walk away with a sketch lol.

Underdog07
08-03-2010, 02:06 PM
Funny video. I would have told them to get the camera off of me (I prefer to be anonymous).

I am amazed at how many people must miss out on getting sketches from other artists etc after waiting in that line and coming up empty handed.

Clear to me now, that if I decide I must have a piece from him I will do the EBay auction -- when you break down the time/money its only $400 an hour or so for a 4-5 hour wait. And for those chasing it for years, its even less.

Tattoo-X
08-03-2010, 05:41 PM
Sooo Sad that John H( john if you read this no offense ment just me on my typical rant mood) was there at that time of the morning (there is NO artist I would get to a show that early) for by now as large of a collector as he is he should get preferntial treatment and artists should be honored to do pieces for his collection..

I think I know who you are talking about. I believe he went to a show this year back east, and then flew to ECCC the same weekend.

5am is nothing.

I got in line at WonderCon to see David Duchovny and Gillian Anderson at 4am.

Underdog07
08-03-2010, 06:02 PM

:eek: :nuts: :penguin:

Tattoo-X
08-03-2010, 06:04 PM

That's right. I'm the #1 crazy X-Files fan. But I restrained myself from rushing the stage to get an autograph.:bawling:

Underdog07
08-03-2010, 06:30 PM
That's right. I'm the #1 crazy X-Files fan. But I restrained myself from rushing the stage to get an autograph.:bawling:

You got there at 4 am and did not get an autograph? Were they signing at all? Were you 1st in line?

marvelboi77
08-03-2010, 06:58 PM
I think I know who you are talking about. I believe he went to a show this year back east, and then flew to ECCC the same weekend.

5am is nothing.

That's nothing I left the house at 2AM and drove 6 hours and waited another 12 hours to see Jennifer Garner and the cast of Daredevil and then turned around and drove 6 hours home.

VaultMan
08-03-2010, 07:35 PM

Yeeeeeaaaaaah....Im as geeky as the next guy, but that seems a bit much...

Primal
08-03-2010, 08:34 PM

Havent seen that video in years. Thanx for posting it.

My faves were the anatomy series
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UvaG1EZ9shM&feature=related

Rocket
08-03-2010, 08:47 PM
That's nothing I left the house at 2AM and drove 6 hours and waited another 12 hours to see Jennifer Garner and the cast of Daredevil and then turned around and drove 6 hours home.

:eek:

ReplicantSavior
08-04-2010, 12:25 AM

5am is nothing.

As hot as Gillian Anderson is I can't see myself getting up that early...

Havent seen that video in years. Thanx for posting it.

My faves were the anatomy series
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UvaG1EZ9shM&feature=related

Yeah, that one is good too. It's always cool to see a great artist work.

C. Bormann
08-04-2010, 02:12 AM
Adam did an Elektra for me a few years ago at WWLA. He charged $100 at the time. Last year in Pittsburgh he was charging $200, but he only did 6 sketches for the 3 day show.

pl212
08-04-2010, 02:29 AM
Adam did an Elektra for me a few years ago at WWLA. He charged $100 at the time. Last year in Pittsburgh he was charging $200, but he only did 6 sketches for the 3 day show.

do you have a pic of it ? :D ill love to see that

Tattoo-X
08-04-2010, 09:14 AM
You got there at 4 am and did not get an autograph? Were they signing at all? Were you 1st in line?

First in line. Not signing. Considered rushing the stage, but I respect the con's wishes and their privacy. It was worth the effort to be in the front row.

Tattoo-X
08-04-2010, 09:18 AM

Nah, that's nothing. I didn't give the whole story.
I left at 2am and drove 8hrs to WC. That's after working a shift. Then spent the day at the show. Walked 10 blocks to my hotel in a total downpour. Then got up a 3 am and walked to the show. There by 4 am. Next guy showed up at 5. Then some XF fan club gals showed up at 6. I was their hero, but that's another story.

C. Bormann
08-04-2010, 05:49 PM
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs441.snc3/25323_1190661381789_1686010328_366824_3255774_n.jpg

VaultMan
08-04-2010, 06:24 PM
Nice pic!

peppokiri
08-04-2010, 07:07 PM
@VaultMan

I think it's better if you just contact AH himself for a commission through correspondence rather than through on site at NYCC. Things could happen, like douchebags stealing artists' portfolios, including commissions. Also, it gives the artist more time to work on your request.

marvelboi77
08-05-2010, 12:22 AM

I remember it was a very nice one too.

pl212
08-05-2010, 04:16 PM
Nice Elektra !! lucky you!

liamsynclair
08-05-2010, 10:44 PM
Nah, that's nothing. I didn't give the whole story.
I left at 2am and drove 8hrs to WC. That's after working a shift. Then spent the day at the show. Walked 10 blocks to my hotel in a total downpour. Then got up a 3 am and walked to the show. There by 4 am. Next guy showed up at 5. Then some XF fan club gals showed up at 6. I was their hero, but that's another story.

was any part of that uphill?

mwf6171
08-05-2010, 10:59 PM
Gosh, I hope Adam has another eBay auction for a sketch!! :rolleyes:

mwf6171
08-05-2010, 11:00 PM
was any part of that uphill?

Or barefoot??:p