PDA

View Full Version : Bob Layton Iron Man

Tetragrammaton
06-09-2005, 10:05 PM
Would love to own copies of the images below in color and 24"x 36". However, at a minimum of $ 500.00 a piece, I guess it will never happen.

Bob Layton always defined the look of Iron Man for me. No one does him better than Mr. Layton.

furie
06-09-2005, 10:13 PM
I thought they were 4 hundred?

rychehitman
06-09-2005, 10:19 PM
Maybe color is more. I knew you'd jump on this post furie...have you bought any original art lately?

Tetragrammaton
06-09-2005, 10:31 PM
If I could somehow get these digital images expanded to poster size, printed, and then laminated, would this constitute an infringement on the rights of the artist. I mean, they are publicly available on his site and it would not be for future sale.

Let me know what you think?

I just could never afford $500.00 for a print (even for an original).

furie
06-09-2005, 10:49 PM
U can do whatever u want if U don't try and sell them.

furie
06-09-2005, 10:50 PM
Nope - Have not made any recent purchases -- watching my pennies.

rychehitman
06-09-2005, 10:56 PM
If I could somehow get these digital images expanded to poster size, printed, and then laminated, would this constitute an infringement on the rights of the artist. I mean, they are publicly available on his site and it would not be for future sale.

Let me know what you think?

I just could never afford $500.00 for a print (even for an original).

Like furie said, if you dont sell them, then its really a matter of morals and ethics.

Nah, not really...art is meant to be enjoyed..if you cant afford originals and you want to hang them up and appreciate them, whats the harm...the quality wont be there after the expansion though.........

nexus
06-09-2005, 11:19 PM
That pix with the helmets gives me an idea for a modular Iron Man bust, similar to the GG Stromtroopers. Change-o-heads, different accessories, mix and match. Chrome of course. Whadayathink? If someone else already suggested this, sorry.

Tetragrammaton
06-10-2005, 12:56 AM
That pix with the helmets gives me an idea for a modular Iron Man bust, similar to the GG Stromtroopers. Change-o-heads, different accessories, mix and match. Chrome of course. Whadayathink? If someone else already suggested this, sorry.

I think I just creamed myself!

WOW, why the F didn't I think of this! And of course CHROME!
(doesn`t really have to be chrome... paint would be good too.)

mike683
06-10-2005, 02:11 PM
Where are these being sold?

furie
06-10-2005, 02:17 PM
At Bob Layton's website -- just google his name.

Bullseye
06-10-2005, 03:26 PM
Very nice pieces and as originals they would be nice to have for sure.

Mugsy
06-11-2005, 03:44 AM
Would love to own copies of the images below in color and 24"x 36". However, at a minimum of $ 500.00 a piece, I guess it will never happen.

Bob Layton always defined the look of Iron Man for me. No one does him better than Mr. Layton.

Omigosh! I know Bob! I had the best time during his inking classes when he was at Valiant. His Iron Man run is classic history for sure! One other thing I also admired about him was he was the sharpest dressed man in comics! He really gave it a professional atmosphere and was generous to share his experience too with free classes at the studio! I had a ball in those days!

Tetragrammaton
06-11-2005, 05:35 PM
If you are on a first name basis with Mr. Layton maybe (and I am aware you have no clue who the heck Ì am) you could put in a good word for me at his website?

Mugsy
06-11-2005, 05:40 PM
If you are on a first name basis with Mr. Layton maybe (and I am aware you have no clue who the heck Ì am) you could put in a good word for me at his website?

Dude! Bob is cool! Just drop by and say hi! I've never seen him ever rude to anyone. I can send him an email if you like. Just email me and I'll follow through. I'm sure he and his wife have lots of goodies they'll want to sell. Did you go to his website yet?

Tetragrammaton
06-11-2005, 06:32 PM
Check this out. Sent him an e-mail asking for posters but I think I confused him. Bob Layton wrote to me. ME! BOB LAYTON!!

He writes;

Frank,
Sorry, I certainly mean no disrespect, but I'm confused about what you're asking me for.
The commissioned art displayed on my website are one-of-a-kind pieces purchased by individual collectors. I have no posters for sale--nor do I have the license from Marvel to produce such.
If you're looking for posters, I would recommend that you ask your local comic shop retailer if he can locate past Iron Man items.
I apologize for not being very helpful.
However, I do appreciate your kind and flattering comments.

Sincerely,
Bob Layton

---- Original Message -----
To: bob.layton@boblayton.com
Cc: XXXXX@hotmail.com
Sent: Friday, June 10, 2005 12:41 AM
Subject: A question from a long-time fan.

Good day Sir,

I just want to first mention how privileged I have been to have enjoyed your work over the years. Iron Man has long been the character I've most identified with, since I first discovered him almost 30 years ago. In particular, your first run on the series, was and remains the definitive Iron Man in my mind. In terms of personal impact, you are among a small select group of Marvel and DC artists, including John Byrne and George Perez, that defined for me the limits of comic book art.

My question is this. I would very much like to inquire as to the possibility of obtaining color poster-quality copies of the original commissions illustrated on this site. The size would preferably be 24" x 36". I am most interested in getting the one of the image included as an attachment or any of the other variations on this theme.

Sincerely,

Frank XXXXXX
Montreal, Canada
XXXXXXX@hotmail.com
(XXX) XXX-XXXX (home)

and no I did not send it with all the X's.

Even getting brushed off as a looney by Mr. Layton :buttrock:

Mugsy
06-11-2005, 08:33 PM
Oh don't sweat it. I'll let him know. Maybe he'll be kind enough to send a sketch or something. Maybe even an autograph. Would that do?

Tetragrammaton
06-11-2005, 10:41 PM
No problems Mugsy,

I actually put in a proper request for an original artwork of a single character Iron Man commission (see "sketch" picture). I was just hoping that a message from you will make me seem more legitimate as a client and a little less "Marvel fanboy stalker".

I was not exaggerating in my e-mail to Mr. Layton. Iron Man always worked best for me as a character because more than most heroes, he could be anyone of us. The whole barrier between you and the rest of the world, I can definately relate to as well.

With the way technology keeps developing, an "Iron Man" type powered suit is becoming less and less "fiction" (just check out all the Soldier of the Future projects and trials the US military is working on...integrated communications, individual soldier GPS systems, rifle mounted cameras, strength multipling rapid-action servo systems, programmable smart grenade launchers, "still" suits a la Dune, etc.) . In contrast, I don't expect any Asgardians to show up anytime soon!

Thanks a lot by the way!