PDA

View Full Version : Appeals Court Destroys First Sale

Ryu
11-08-2010, 10:20 PM
This was brought to my attention today while I visited a friend at GameStop. We got into the conversation about the secondary market, since GameStop, in fact, does resale used software. He told me about an incident that transpired a couple of months ago, so being curious about it. I had to go look it up for myself and found this article.

http://www.techdirt.com/articles/20100912/12212110968.shtml

Zangief
11-08-2010, 10:37 PM
IMO this won't last long, I think it was a fluke that the company won their appeal.

The video game/software/music/dvd is facing a huge crisis right now with slumping sales and people downloading their stuff illegally. Now they are trying to tell people that when you buy the product its not really yours? If in some freakish universe if this stands people will just download more stuff illegally, and any industry where this rule applies will die off. Think of all the stores that resell used games, Futureshop/Best Buy/EB Games/HMV etc, etc, in no way will these retail giants let this crap happen because ultimately it will just lead to less sales in their stores.