PDA

View Full Version : The Ashes 2010/11

Justin
11-24-2010, 07:26 AM
Ok guys what do you hope to see this summer from the cricket?

Who will be the stars, who will fail, who will win?

Australia v England for the Ashes, the biggest contest in cricket and one of the greatest rivalries in world sport is about to start again, I’m very excited for this summer of cricket! :buttrock:

http://johnleechmp.files.wordpress.com/2010/08/the-ashes-urn11.jp

sylvan
11-24-2010, 07:35 AM
I had to say this but i think the poms will win. We need to rebuild and fast lol

Justin
11-24-2010, 07:59 AM
England have their best chance to beat us in Australia for a loooooooong time! I hope Ponting has one great series left in him in Australia and Johnson finds the form he displayed against South Africa a couple of years ago, those two are our two best players and we need big series from them.

RichBamf
11-24-2010, 09:21 AM
Go on England!

Only bad thing is that I'll have to stay up all night to watch it....BOOOOOOOO!

RichBamf
11-24-2010, 09:21 AM
I think it'll be a lot closer than a lot of people think.

Justin
11-24-2010, 09:23 AM
Go on England!

Only bad thing is that I'll have to stay up all night to watch it....BOOOOOOOO!

Shouldn't it be Carry On England or something? ;) lol

Justin
11-24-2010, 09:24 AM
I think it'll be a lot closer than a lot of people think.

I think the teams are that even it could very well come down to the toss of the coin and who gets to bat or bowl first, most teams that win the toss go on and win the tests or atleast don't lose them these days, it could come down to the luck of the coin mate :thumbs2:

RichBamf
11-24-2010, 09:26 AM
I think the teams are that even it could very well come down to the toss of the coin and who gets to bat or bowl first, most teams that win the toss go on and win the tests or atleast don't lose them these days, it could come down to the luck of the coin mate :thumbs2:

Personally, I think whoever wins at the Gabba wins the whole thing...:thumbs2:

Justin
11-24-2010, 09:27 AM

I hope not for your sake mate, we are 16 wins 4 draws from our last 20 tests there ;)

Justin
11-24-2010, 09:28 AM
Here's a question for you Bamfer, who are the weak links in the English side, who are the guys who you think could make the mistake or fall away when the heat is on?

RichBamf
11-24-2010, 09:32 AM
KP and Cookie on the batting side.

Anderson on the Bowling.

KP=bad form coming in, poor judgement, head not in the right place.

Cook=lacking confidence, although he's done well in the warm up games.

Anderson= he gets more undisciplined the longer he goes without a wicket. Wides become more frequent, he can't bowl a decent length for too long...

The ones you gotta watch out for are...hell the rest of the team. They've been consistantly good all year...we can bat down to 9 effectively, and Swanny is one of the best spinners in the world right now.

RichBamf
11-24-2010, 09:32 AM
I hope not for your sake mate, we are 16 wins 4 draws from our last 20 tests there ;)

Tell me something I don't know :laugh:

Justin
11-24-2010, 09:44 AM
KP and Cookie on the batting side.

Anderson on the Bowling.

KP=bad form coming in, poor judgement, head not in the right place.

Cook=lacking confidence, although he's done well in the warm up games.

Anderson= he gets more undisciplined the longer he goes without a wicket. Wides become more frequent, he can't bowl a decent length for too long...

The ones you gotta watch out for are...hell the rest of the team. They've been consistantly good all year...we can bat down to 9 effectively, and Swanny is one of the best spinners in the world right now.

I'd agree with just about all of that mate, KP can just about win the series for you guys by himself or he could go the other way, Cook seems down on form but can bat.

The rest of your batting looks good, you have great depth and as you said bat a long way down.

I'm not a Anderson fan mate, he does well in the English conditions but struggles here, the Kookaburra ball doesn't move like the Dukes and that makes a massive diference.

I also don't see a bowler for you guys who will tie up and end when we have out good periods with the bat, you seem to have a lot of guys that want to bowl wicketballs.

Swann has become a gun, he is easily one of the best bowlers in the world, really looking forward to watching him this summer, want to see how he goes in our conditions :thumbs2:

For us i think it's Hussey and North (Wrothy is going to belt me for saying that being they are WA boys! :laugh: )

But they have really let us down of late, Hussey hasn't avg better than 35 in his last 8 series and North struggles to get past 10 most times he is out there, with the ball it's the spinner, they seem to have gone with a bloke now who will try and tie up an end, i don't mind that, if your not getting wickets you have to atleast keep it tight, i'm hoping he will do that!

Justin
11-24-2010, 09:44 AM
Tell me something I don't know :laugh:

:laugh:

Just wanted to make sure you knew our record at the GABBA mate ;)

RichBamf
11-24-2010, 10:10 AM
I'd agree with just about all of that mate, KP can just about win the series for you guys by himself or he could go the other way, Cook seems down on form but can bat.

The rest of your batting looks good, you have great depth and as you said bat a long way down.

I'm not a Anderson fan mate, he does well in the English conditions but struggles here, the Kookaburra ball doesn't move like the Dukes and that makes a massive diference.

I also don't see a bowler for you guys who will tie up and end when we have out good periods with the bat, you seem to have a lot of guys that want to bowl wicketballs.

Swann has become a gun, he is easily one of the best bowlers in the world, really looking forward to watching him this summer, want to see how he goes in our conditions :thumbs2:

For us i think it's Hussey and North (Wrothy is going to belt me for saying that being they are WA boys! :laugh: )

But they have really let us down of late, Hussey hasn't avg better than 35 in his last 8 series and North struggles to get past 10 most times he is out there, with the ball it's the spinner, they seem to have gone with a bloke now who will try and tie up an end, i don't mind that, if your not getting wickets you have to atleast keep it tight, i'm hoping he will do that!

I definitely think if Hussey and North don't play, the Aussies are gonna suffer. You need that strong backbone, cause the tail's been suffering lately...:(

Thing is with England, I think we've got good options with the bowling attack, and if one underpeforms, it's nice to have someone good and not just average, in reserve.

Man I'm excited....:thumbs2:

RichBamf
11-24-2010, 10:11 AM

Just wanted to make sure you knew our record at the GABBA mate ;)

Oh BELIEVE me, I'm well aware of it...and even more aware of the record against England on the first ashes tests in Oz.

Just hoping we can break the tradition...:sos:

Wrothy
11-24-2010, 10:12 AM

With North it seems to be feast or famine - he either gets out cheaply or scores a ton. If he could just string a few good scores together...

Hopefully the first class ton that Hussey just scored will do him a world of good.

The person I'm worried about is Clarke - if he ends up in the side and does his back again during the test, it's not gonna be good.

Rocket
11-24-2010, 04:05 PM

Just what I was gonna say! :D We haven't lost a test there in twenty years! :buttrock:

RichBamf
11-24-2010, 04:49 PM
Just what I was gonna say! :D We haven't lost a test there in twenty years! :buttrock:

pffffttt, until now...:eplus2:

Actually I retract my statement...:confused2

Rocket
11-24-2010, 06:01 PM
pffffttt, until now...:eplus2:

Actually I retract my statement...:confused2

Too late!!! :hilarious:

Rocket
11-24-2010, 08:03 PM
England win the toss and bat. The Ashes have begun! First ball just bowled!

Rocket
11-24-2010, 08:04 PM
THIRD BALL!!! STRAIGHT TO HUSSEY IN GULLY!!!!

1/0!!!!!

Wrothy
11-24-2010, 08:08 PM
THIRD BALL!!! STRAIGHT TO HUSSEY IN GULLY!!!!

1/0!!!!!

:buttrock: :buttrock: :buttrock:

Rocket
11-24-2010, 08:19 PM
Decision referred!!

May be about to get our second!

Rocket
11-24-2010, 08:20 PM
Nope! Not out!

Wrothy
11-24-2010, 09:18 PM
Watson bowls Trott! :buttrock:

England now 2/50.

Wrothy
11-25-2010, 02:02 AM
Hat-trick to Siddle on his birthday! :buttrock: :buttrock:

England 7/212.

Congrats to Bell on his 50. :thumbs2:

Wrothy
11-25-2010, 03:00 AM
England all out for 260. Now to see how the Aussies fare.

RichBamf
11-25-2010, 04:37 AM
Jesus!

Good bowling from the Aussies...Siddle's Hat trick was great bowling! First at the Gabba apparently.

England must have been licking their lips at the beautiful swinging consitions when they started bowling, and then it all dried up :eek:

Not exceptional bowling, England didn't take their opportunities...not over by a long shot.

If it was any other test against any other team I wouldn't be too bothered...reality check for the England team, need to dig deep tonight...

Rocket
11-25-2010, 04:41 AM
Jesus!

Good bowling from the Aussies...Siddle's Hat trick was great bowling! First at the Gabba apparently.

England must have been licking their lips at the beautiful swinging consitions when they started bowling, and then it all dried up :eek:

Not exceptional bowling, England didn't take their opportunities...not over by a long shot.

If it was any other test against any other team I wouldn't be too bothered...reality check for the England team, need to dig deep tonight...

I think Strauss should have opted to bowl. All reports were that it was seaming like crazy but I do see the positives in getting runs on the board early....

RichBamf
11-25-2010, 04:44 AM
I think Strauss should have opted to bowl. All reports were that it was seaming like crazy but I do see the positives in getting runs on the board early....

Me too, think the moment got the better of him...:(

Justin
11-25-2010, 05:48 PM

I think he was trying to make a statement, he stormed out, won the toss, elected to bat and then went out and played the shot he did on the 3rd ball of the test, just trying to be over positive i think, that being said England have 260 on what could still be a tricky deck to bat on. Thank god Siddle bowled the way he did, should have had 7 if not for Haddin dropping yet another catch he should have taken :thumbsdow

It was a fantastic 1st day of test cricket, can't wait for the 2nd day to start! :buttrock:

Justin
11-25-2010, 09:21 PM
Katich was just given out LBW, challenged the call by Billie Doctrove and was proven right to do so with the ball going a good couple of inches over the top of the stumps and the decision being changed, he then hit the next ball for 4! :laugh:

Anderson was understandably pretty dirty!

Justin
11-25-2010, 09:30 PM
Watson out for 36, caught off Anderson!

Punter is in!! :buttrock:

Justin
11-25-2010, 10:03 PM
End of the first session of day two and the Aussies are 1/96

Game is very even at this stage

Rocket
11-25-2010, 11:20 PM
Ugh. Ponting out then Katich in quick time and then Hussey dropped first ball!!

We need to dig in here!

Justin
11-25-2010, 11:42 PM
Ugh. Ponting out then Katich in quick time and then Hussey dropped first ball!!

We need to dig in here!

How lucky was that!!! :confused2

He did hit a nice 6 though!

Justin
11-25-2010, 11:49 PM
And it has to be asked, why is 9 not showing the cricket on their HD channel? :banghead:

Rocket
11-25-2010, 11:50 PM
How lucky was that!!! :confused2

He did hit a nice 6 though!

Very mate!!

I really hope Huss gets a ton today :buttrock:

Rocket
11-25-2010, 11:50 PM
And it has to be asked, why is 9 not showing the cricket on their HD channel? :banghead:

Yeah, strange decision?:thumbsdow

Wrothy
11-25-2010, 11:53 PM
Time for Huss to get a fighting century and knock all the critics for six! :buttrock:

Wrothy
11-25-2010, 11:58 PM

That does seeem rather odd.

Justin
11-26-2010, 12:01 AM
Very mate!!

I really hope Huss gets a ton today :buttrock:

Yeah it would be great to see him hit back with a big score, the selectors have stuck with him so we need him to bat well, plus Clarke looks like he is playing for the red ink already! :confused:

Justin
11-26-2010, 12:03 AM
Yeah, strange decision?:thumbsdow

That does seeem rather odd.

It makes a massive difference! I'm watching the NFL and cricket side by side and the NFL loooooooooks so much better! It must cost 9 more? :confused:

Justin
11-26-2010, 12:04 AM
Clarke out, crap shot.

My hatred for him grows!

Justin
11-26-2010, 12:04 AM
Time for Huss to get a fighting century and knock all the critics for six! :buttrock:

:goodpost:

Rocket
11-26-2010, 12:10 AM
Clarke out, crap shot.

My hatred for him grows!

I've never liked him. Always said that 90% of his scores were in dead rubbers and meaningless second innings. The guy has maybe one or two gutsy knocks in his entire career :mad:

Rocket
11-26-2010, 12:10 AM
It makes a massive difference! I'm watching the NFL and cricket side by side and the NFL loooooooooks so much better! It must cost 9 more? :confused:

It may, but I reckon they are just being cheapskates!

Rocket
11-26-2010, 12:11 AM
Another wicket :banghead:

Justin
11-26-2010, 12:12 AM
I've never liked him. Always said that 90% of his scores were in dead rubbers and meaningless second innings. The guy has maybe one or two gutsy knocks in his entire career :mad:

Yep have to agree, he's a show boater, if he is the next Aussie skipper i'll stop watching the game.

Justin
North out! :(

Justin
Get Cam White in the team

Justin
11-26-2010, 12:14 AM
It may, but I reckon they are just being cheapskates!

I want to see the ratings are for this, you would think it would be in their interest to get people on board with HD sports, channel's 7 and 10 flogged the sh!t out of the 3d stuff during the AFL season!

Rocket
11-26-2010, 12:31 AM

+1 :buttrock:

Sorry Steve but North is a liability :psycho:

Justin
11-26-2010, 12:42 AM
5/168 at the end of the second session...

damn this game is on a knifes edge at the moment! :buttrock:

Wrothy
11-26-2010, 12:58 AM
Clarke out, crap shot.

My hatred for him grows!

Agreed - completely selfish player. If he thought of the team instead of himself, he would have opted out of the test to give his back a proper chance to recuperate.

Wrothy
11-26-2010, 12:58 AM

:goodpost:

Wrothy
11-26-2010, 12:59 AM
+1 :buttrock:

Sorry Steve but North is a liability :psycho:

Don't worry mate - I agree with you. Ask Juzzy - I left him out of my starting 11. Just too inconsistent.

Justin
11-26-2010, 01:07 AM
Agreed - completely selfish player. If he thought of the team instead of himself, he would have opted out of the test to give his back a proper chance to recuperate.

Agreed, if he isn't right, don't play, he isn't Don Bradman anyways! :laugh:

Justin
11-26-2010, 01:08 AM
Huss brings up his 50! :thumbs2:

Justin
11-26-2010, 01:08 AM
Don't worry mate - I agree with you. Ask Juzzy - I left him out of my starting 11. Just too inconsistent.

Yes sir you did :)

Wrothy
11-26-2010, 01:14 AM
Huss brings up his 50! :thumbs2:

:buttrock: :buttrock:

RichBamf
11-26-2010, 05:25 AM
What a great two days of cricket...

Match on a complete knife's edge at the moment...good day of bowling on a pitch that doesn't seem to be deteriorating at the pace I expected. I have a feeling if Hussey getrs out soon the tail may collapse...I love this game, can turn on it's head in the space of one ball...no sport like it.

Seems like four things have shaped the game at the moment, Strauss' bad decision to bowl, Bell's (one of the most underrated player's in the world imho) stubborn 76, Siddle's great hat-trick, and dropping Hussey first ball (and the subsequent score he has).

Fantastic game!

Wrothy
11-26-2010, 06:56 AM

Match on a complete knife's edge at the moment...good day of bowling on a pitch that doesn't seem to be deteriorating at the pace I expected. I have a feeling if Hussey getrs out soon the tail may collapse...I love this game, can turn on it's head in the space of one ball...no sport like it.

Seems like four things have shaped the game at the moment, Strauss' bad decision to bowl, Bell's (one of the most underrated player's in the world imho) stubborn 76, Siddle's great hat-trick, and dropping Hussey first ball (and the subsequent score he has).

Fantastic game!

Yep - it's had pretty much everything you come to expect from an Ashes test these days. :thumbs2:

RichBamf
11-26-2010, 07:04 AM
Yep - it's had pretty much everything you come to expect from an Ashes test these days. :thumbs2:

I always forget just how much I love the Ashes...there's nothing that comes close. :buttrock:

Wrothy
11-26-2010, 07:09 AM
I always forget just how much I love the Ashes...there's nothing that comes close. :buttrock:

Absolutely! :buttrock:

Justin
11-26-2010, 09:07 PM
Huss just reached his 100! :buttrock:

Wrothy
11-26-2010, 09:11 PM
Huss just reached his 100! :buttrock:

You little ripper! :buttrock: :buttrock:

Justin
11-26-2010, 09:13 PM

Fantastic game!

The GABBA holds up pretty well as a rule mate, it doesn't wear and tear like most pitches :)

Wrothy
11-26-2010, 11:20 PM
A century to Haddin! :buttrock:

RichBamf
11-28-2010, 06:06 AM
No posts for from the Aussies today huh...? :laugh:

Great batting from Cookie and Strauss, a few errors from the Aussies in that one sitter catch that Mitchell Johnson (whys he in the squad again?), and that ALMOST superb fingertips catch, but overall England were stunning last night...great shot selection and determination to save the first test. :buttrock:

Wrothy
11-28-2010, 06:57 AM
No posts for from the Aussies today huh...? :laugh:

Great batting from Cookie and Strauss, a few errors from the Aussies in that one sitter catch that Mitchell Johnson (whys he in the squad again?), and that ALMOST superb fingertips catch, but overall England were stunning last night...great shot selection and determination to save the first test. :buttrock:

Indeed - good work by the Poms to come back like that.

RichBamf
11-29-2010, 05:44 AM
What a test, that had everything bar the result.

The papers over here are giving the edge to england, but I guess that's because we're on foreign soil. Shame we aren't in the old days of play to a result,would've loved to see the end of this test.

Great batting by the top three batsmen, nice to see Cooky beat Bradman's record at the Gabba!

Justin
11-29-2010, 07:04 PM
That was an amazing first test, England showed a massive amount of heart to fight back from a position that seemed like Australia had the test their for the taking, both sides had their ups and downs, just brilliant test cricket, this game for me is the perfect example of why this cricket is head and shoulders above the shorter versions of the game, even if you are down, you have the chance to fight back.

I can't believe how much Mitch Johnson has fallen, he won the international cricketer of the year just 18 months ago, now he should be dropped for the next test, he is our most talented player but he just has zero confidence at the moment, i personally blame the coaches, he had struggles with controlling the swinging ball, so the coaches allowed him the hold the ball cross seam to stop the swing, now he can't move it at all, taking away his chances of swinging the ball back into the right hander for a bowled or lbw or moving the ball away from a lefthander for a catch behind the wicket, it also means his natural left arm angle across a batsmen is now meaningless as thats the only thing he has going his way, the Australian coaching staff should hang their heads in shame, they have allowed an amazingly gifted cricketer develop so horrible habits and now he is performing like a hack.

Ok thats the end of my venting! :laugh:

Bring on the 2nd test and baring rain there will be a result, there always is in Adelaide! :buttrock:

RichBamf
12-03-2010, 06:22 AM
Oh boys, that was a great day of Cricket...Watson thanks for your help with those two early wickets....:laugh:

RichBamf
12-03-2010, 06:33 AM
And why exactly did Ponting have a go at Strauss as they left the field...

I've said this before (I think to Juzzy or Rodders in the last Ashes), but Ponting is SUCH a bad sportman.

He may be a great cricketer, but he's a poor ambassador for the game...

Royd
12-03-2010, 06:46 AM
Disgraceful performace by the Aussie batsmen with the exception of Watson (run outs happen *shrug*), Hussey and Haddin.

The selectors have put themselves in a corner by building Clarke up as future captain and then finding themselves unable to drop him when both he and Ponting suffer a form slump. And North should also be dropped as he hasn't been consistent enough to warrant a place in the side.

Ponting is definitely an unimaginative captain (but has been a brilliant batsman) and has also shown poor sportsmanship before so I was also wondering what he was saying at the end of day's play today.

RichBamf
12-03-2010, 06:49 AM
Disgraceful performace by the Aussie batsmen with the exception of Watson (run outs happen *shrug*), Hussey and Haddin.

The selectors have put themselves in a corner by building Clarke up as future captain and then finding themselves unable to drop him when both he and Ponting suffer a form slump. And North should also be dropped as he hasn't been consistent enough to warrant a place in the side.

Ponting is definitely an unimaginative captain (but has been a brilliant batsman) and has also shown poor sportsmanship before so I was also wondering what he was saying at the end of day's play today.

Totally agree Royd!

I think also that serious panicking will occur with the selectors, after dropping Johnson so fast, will they now do the same for some of the underperforming Aussie batsmen?

Hussey was the one good thing about Australia today, he showed a lot of grit out there...:thumbs2:

Royd
12-03-2010, 09:44 AM
Mate, as a keen cricket follower, I'd rather see non-performing batsmen like Clarke and North dropped and give someone else a go (I don't think we can do much worse) otherwise we might as well just give up the Ashes without playing another game :sos:

Totally agree Royd!

I think also that serious panicking will occur with the selectors, after dropping Johnson so fast, will they now do the same for some of the underperforming Aussie batsmen?

Hussey was the one good thing about Australia today, he showed a lot of grit out there...:thumbs2:

Justin
12-05-2010, 06:21 PM
Hats off to England for the way they have started this 2nd test, they have been spectacular!

I just hope we can save this game with a combination of good batting and a little bit of rain! :laugh:

We have failed to build any pressure with the ball, we are just not doing the fundamentals of good bowling, god we have fallen away so badly so quickly! :(

Justin
12-05-2010, 06:27 PM
And why exactly did Ponting have a go at Strauss as they left the field...

I've said this before (I think to Juzzy or Rodders in the last Ashes), but Ponting is SUCH a bad sportman.

He may be a great cricketer, but he's a poor ambassador for the game...

You have mentioned it to me mate :thumbs2:

There are two sides to every story though, i find it surprising that both Ponting and Haddin would say anything to Strauss as they left the ground unless he said something also, it does take two to tango after all :thumbs2:

Justin
12-05-2010, 08:01 PM
Pietersen is out! Great innings!

Maybe they were right, he struggles against left arm spin! :laugh:

Wrothy
12-05-2010, 08:15 PM
And Strauss has finally declared at 5/620 - lead of 375. Let's hope our batsmen can put on a better performance this dig.

Justin
12-05-2010, 08:16 PM
And Strauss has finally declared at 5/620 - lead of 375. Let's hope our batsmen can put on a better performance this dig.

I wish i had a rain dance smiley! :laugh:

Wrothy
12-05-2010, 08:18 PM
I wish i had a rain dance smiley! :laugh:

Where's Lou when you need him? :laugh:

RichBamf
12-07-2010, 06:55 AM
Well, well, well...just 90 mins needed to finish off the tail.

Hussey tried his best again...over 300 runs in two test matches is a fantastic achievement...but where is the rest of the team?

One of the worst Aussie teams of the last 30 years, meeting one of the best English teams of the last 30 years...bad combo, but fun to watch from my perspective.

Swann bowled a blinder this innings, he's just top class.

Justin
12-08-2010, 07:05 PM
There are plenty of starts being made by nobody is getting a big score other than Hussey and Haddin once, we need Watson to go on and get a 100+ instead of yet another wasted 50.

Our tail is horrible with the bowlers that are in right now, there are 4 guys that should be batting at 11! :laugh:

This series is not over though mate, i know you have been down for ages but don't get c0cky just yet! :laugh:

RichBamf
12-16-2010, 06:33 AM
:hilarious: :hilarious: :hilarious: :hilarious:

What are the Aussies DOING?

Hussey is like a captain going down with his ship, deck burning around him...

Disarray from Australia, nice attempt at a fight back by the middle order, but it was just too late.

Good bowling by Tremors and Anderson today, and superb catching...and it's a batting pitch! :buttrock:

Royd
12-16-2010, 06:55 AM
Rich, mate, a little decorum in your delight at the sad state of the Aussie team performance please ;)

I've just been exchanging e-mails with Paul Neary (who is a cricket tragic like me) about the current Ashes Test series.

Not too much we can do about our bowlers without disrupting things too much but the selectors have stupidly persisted with Clarke and selected a batsman (Hughes) whose form this season hasn't been the best although he did score 80+ in the Australia A game.

I can understand why the selectors feel they can't drop Ponting but Clarke is useless - give Sean Marsh or David Hussey or Cameron White or someone else a go! Just_drop_Clarke!

Tremlett bowled beautifully today - jeez, he's a Big Unit!

Disarray from Australia, nice attempt at a fight back by the middle order, but it was just too late.

Good bowling by Tremors and Anderson today, and superb catching...and it's a batting pitch! :buttrock:

Rocket
12-17-2010, 12:24 AM

http://i480.photobucket.com/albums/rr161/Rocket43_2008/american-pie-shot_518x350.jpg

RichBamf
12-17-2010, 04:52 AM
http://i480.photobucket.com/albums/rr161/Rocket43_2008/american-pie-shot_518x350.jpg

Man, great bowling form Johnson, just proves he should've been given a better chance.

What a great period of bowling to go from 78-0 to 98-5, and what awful batting, especially after a good start.

Just like a Brit to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory...:hilarious:

Rocket
12-17-2010, 04:56 AM
Man, great bowling form Johnson, just proves he should've been given a better chance.

What a great period of bowling to go from 78-0 to 98-5, and what awful batting, especially after a good start.

:hilarious:

Wrothy
12-17-2010, 06:29 AM
Rich, mate, a little decorum in your delight at the sad state of the Aussie team performance please ;)

I've just been exchanging e-mails with Paul Neary (who is a cricket tragic like me) about the current Ashes Test series.

Not too much we can do about our bowlers without disrupting things too much but the selectors have stupidly persisted with Clarke and selected a batsman (Hughes) whose form this season hasn't been the best although he did score 80+ in the Australia A game.

I can understand why the selectors feel they can't drop Ponting but Clarke is useless - give Sean Marsh or David Hussey or Cameron White or someone else a go! Just_drop_Clarke!

Tremlett bowled beautifully today - jeez, he's a Big Unit!

I agree on Clarke mate - how he is still in the side is anyone's guess! :mad:

Good to see Mitch come back well after being dropped. :thumbs2:

Royd
12-17-2010, 07:55 AM
Mitchell Johnson is a LEGEND!!!! Top scores with the bat and then takes 6 for 36!!

Game is interestingly poised and I'm just pleased we're fighting back although Hughes, Clarke and Ponting predictably contributed very little to the total leaving it to Hussey, Watson and the middle order!

Justin
12-17-2010, 06:12 PM

I'd say it just proves he needs a lot of work before any series begins, not allow him to start a series on a limited preparation and then wait for him to find his form as the series progresses, it's simply to costly, we could have won the first test if he was bowling the way he did yesterday, regardless this game is shaping as a great contest with the Aussies leading maybe 70/30 at this stage, a few early wickets for England today and it again becomes a 50/50 contest, fantastic test cricket! :buttrock:

Justin
12-17-2010, 06:15 PM
Mitchell Johnson is a LEGEND!!!! Top scores with the bat and then takes 6 for 36!!

Game is interestingly poised and I'm just pleased we're fighting back although Hughes, Clarke and Ponting predictably contributed very little to the total leaving it to Hussey, Watson and the middle order!

I agree mate, as much as i'm a massive Punter fan it's close to the end for him, Clarke has never been a great player and is being exposed again this series he does not like hostile fast bowling while Hughes needs to work on his game at a lower level, not the highest, lets hope Katich if fit for boxing day and White comes back into the side and takes over the spot at 1st slip, another reason to have him in the side, he is an amazing slipper!

Royd
12-17-2010, 08:31 PM
Ponting has been a brilliant batsman and I hope he recovers from his form slump but I think it would be too disruptive to remove the captain from the team in the middle of the series. Clarke on the other hand needs_to_go!

I also hope Katich is fit for the BD Test and why aren't the selectors looking at White, David Hussey or even Brad Hodge at least 2 of whom have current averages of over 50 in Shield cricket! Why pick Hughes over them? Sigh...

I agree mate, as much as i'm a massive Punter fan it's close to the end for him, Clarke has never been a great player and is being exposed again this series he does not like hostile fast bowling while Hughes needs to work on his game at a lower level, not the highest, lets hope Katich if fit for boxing day and White comes back into the side and takes over the spot at 1st slip, another reason to have him in the side, he is an amazing slipper!

RichBamf
12-18-2010, 06:17 AM
Well that was painful to watch, can't decide whether it's you lot playing well or us having a momentary massive blip...hope it's the latter....

Royd
12-18-2010, 08:43 PM
I'm praying that your lot keep on "blipping" ;) Heh, the Barmy Army have set up their HQ on the Barrack St. Jetty pub (near my office) which is called The Lucky Shag :)

Well that was painful to watch, can't decide whether it's you lot playing well or us having a momentary massive blip...hope it's the latter....

Rocket
12-19-2010, 03:43 AM
AUSSIE AUSSIE AUSSIE!!!

Hottie_Ves!!!
12-19-2010, 08:44 AM
My expert opinion is that Australia will win the ASHES and the pommy losers can go home :p

(Sorry Rich douche ;))

Alex655321
12-19-2010, 09:27 AM
Go Aussies ! :)

Justin
12-23-2010, 10:44 PM

Thanks Lou! :buttrock:

Just two days until the next test starts and one of those days is Christmas so it's going to be an awesome build up! :laugh:

RichBamf
12-24-2010, 05:39 AM
I notice some posters only sing when they're winning...:laugh:

Wasn't posting much when you were being soundly beaten eh? :laugh:

Personally, I'm pleased as punch the last one went to the Aussies, it means the series can go all the way down to the wire....makes for a far more competitive and interesting series.

RichBamf
12-24-2010, 05:39 AM

Ah shut up Lou! :stick:

Justin
12-25-2010, 07:17 PM
I notice some posters only sing when they're winning...:laugh:

Wasn't posting much when you were being soundly beaten eh? :laugh:

Personally, I'm pleased as punch the last one went to the Aussies, it means the series can go all the way down to the wire....makes for a far more competitive and interesting series.

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb212/Juzzy76/pot-kettle-black.jpg

Justin
12-25-2010, 07:18 PM
England have won the toss and sent Australia in, lets hope we can buck the trend of the series and get a good first innings score!

Justin
12-25-2010, 07:39 PM
Collingwood dropped Watson in the first over, lets hope Watson goes on and gets a big score now, he is the king of getting a start but not going on!

Justin
12-25-2010, 07:41 PM
Now KP has put Watson down! And straight away he looks at his finger! :laugh: Making up an excuse as to why he dropped a sitter! :laugh: Typical KP! http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb212/Juzzy76/Smilies/Wanker.gif

Justin
12-25-2010, 07:46 PM
Tremlett has bowled a ripper and got Watson! Watson played it horribly but it was a cracker of a ball!

Justin
12-25-2010, 08:31 PM
Hughes plays a terrible shot to a nothing ball and is caught in gully, that is putrid! :banghead:

RichBamf
12-25-2010, 08:33 PM
http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb212/Juzzy76/pot-kettle-black.jpg

Hey I call Bull on that one mate :laugh:

Second most active person on this thread and soundly lambasted my own team on their shocking performance...I'm referring to certain members of a diminutive stature who post and run...:hilarious:

RichBamf
12-25-2010, 08:34 PM
Now KP has put Watson down! And straight away he looks at his finger! :laugh: Making up an excuse as to why he dropped a sitter! :laugh: Typical KP! http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb212/Juzzy76/Smilies/Wanker.gif

I said exactly the same thing to my dad!

Love his skill, hate everything else about him...:laugh:

RichBamf
12-25-2010, 08:37 PM
cracking bowling so far this morning, even when Jimmy isn't getting early wickets he's pretty economical.

Nice to see Tremmors coming in so fast, and Bresnan with the instant breakthrough! :buttrock:

Ponting's had some beautiful shots this morning, but he NEEDS to be careful, silly bastard plays so far across his body, Anderson will eat him up if he's not careful!

RichBamf
12-25-2010, 08:38 PM
And then he plays a horrific shot off the off side...:laugh:

Great ball but shocking shot choice...:banghead:

Justin
12-25-2010, 08:41 PM
Hey I call Bull on that one mate :laugh:

Second most active person on this thread and soundly lambasted my own team on their shocking performance...I'm referring to certain members of a diminutive stature who post and run...:hilarious:

I was just looking for a bite mate ;)

There is no doubt you have been here as much as anyone ;)

Justin
12-25-2010, 08:43 PM
I said exactly the same thing to my dad!

Love his skill, hate everything else about him...:laugh:

The guy is a freak of a talent but a douche of a human, good for cricket tho! If that makes sense? :laugh:

Justin
12-25-2010, 08:45 PM
cracking bowling so far this morning, even when Jimmy isn't getting early wickets he's pretty economical.

Nice to see Tremmors coming in so fast, and Bresnan with the instant breakthrough! :buttrock:

Ponting's had some beautiful shots this morning, but he NEEDS to be careful, silly bastard plays so far across his body, Anderson will eat him up if he's not careful!

Mate you guys are allowing the pitch to do the work for you, smart bowling indeed!

It was a massive toss to win, again it seems up to Hussey to save the innings!

both reviews are used by England now, that is a bonus!

Justin
12-25-2010, 08:47 PM
And then he plays a horrific shot off the off side...:laugh:

Great ball but shocking shot choice...:banghead:

As much as i hate to say it, i think Punter is gone, he just keeps finding ways to get himself out, hanging the bat outside off stump, he would never have done that 3 years ago, time has caught up with him.

RichBamf
12-25-2010, 08:47 PM

I was just looking for a bite mate ;)

There is no doubt you have been here as much as anyone ;)

Oh I KNOW mate...being the sole Brit in here is enough of a battle as it is :thumbs2:

The guy is a freak of a talent but a douche of a human, good for cricket tho! If that makes sense? :laugh:

Totally...I always thought the same about Pollock Jr for the Saffers...

Justin
12-25-2010, 08:48 PM
Oh I KNOW mate...being the sole Brit in here is enough of a battle as it is :thumbs2:

Totally...I always thought the same about Pollock Jr for the Saffers...

Yeah you have to post harder than anyone, vastly outnumbered! :laugh:

Merry Christmas by the way Bamfer, hope the day was a ripper for you :)

RichBamf
12-25-2010, 08:51 PM
Mate you guys are allowing the pitch to do the work for you, smart bowling indeed!

It was a massive toss to win, again it seems up to Hussey to save the innings!

both reviews are used by England now, that is a bonus!

It's a beauty of a pitch...I am to see a match at the MCG before I die! It reminds me of the atmosphere of the Brit Oval, but like four times the size!

I can see why they went with the 1st review, Hughes' hands were so close to his body and there was definite deviation, hard one to pick with the naked eye.

But the second...I think they were just hoping against hope to get Huss out early! :(

As much as i hate to say it, i think Punter is gone, he just keeps finding ways to get himself out, hanging the bat outside off stump, he would never have done that 3 years ago, time has caught up with him.

Totally agree, it looks to me like his failing reactions have caught up with him sadly, happens to all sportsmen eventually....:thumbsdow

RichBamf
12-25-2010, 08:53 PM
Yeah you have to post harder than anyone, vastly outnumbered! :laugh:

Merry Christmas by the way Bamfer, hope the day was a ripper for you :)

Always the way mate, always the way :laugh:

Yeah was awesome mate, just nice to spend a day with the family.

Hope you and the girls had a good one too mate! :buttrock:

I'm just trying to stay awake and watch some cricket on four hrs sleep, too much food and 9 beers...not gonna happen!

Justin
12-25-2010, 08:55 PM
It's a beauty of a pitch...I am to see a match at the MCG before I die! It reminds me of the atmosphere of the Brit Oval, but like four times the size!

I can see why they went with the 1st review, Hughes' hands were so close to his body and there was definite deviation, hard one to pick with the naked eye.

But the second...I think they were just hoping against hope to get Huss out early! :(

Totally agree, it looks to me like his failing reactions have caught up with him sadly, happens to all sportsmen eventually....:thumbsdow

The G with a big crowd be it cricket or footy is something to behold mate, as a sports fan it is something you need to experience! :buttrock:

There was a lot of hope with the 2nd, it was always over the top with Tremletts height/

I think this should be Punters last summer, i love the bloke but he is doing his great career a disservice now, he is just lowering his avg below 60 :(

RichBamf
12-25-2010, 08:56 PM
The G with a big crowd be it cricket or footy is something to behold mate, as a sports fan it is something you need to experience! :buttrock:

There was a lot of hope with the 2nd, it was always over the top with Tremletts height/

I think this should be Punters last summer, i love the bloke but he is doing his great career a disservice now, he is just lowering his avg below 60 :(

You only have to look at his Ashes average to see how far he's fallen...16! :eek:

Justin
12-25-2010, 08:58 PM
Always the way mate, always the way :laugh:

Yeah was awesome mate, just nice to spend a day with the family.

Hope you and the girls had a good one too mate! :buttrock:

I'm just trying to stay awake and watch some cricket on four hrs sleep, too much food and 9 beers...not gonna happen!

Yeah it was a great day thanks, Leo and i had lots of fun, sadly Leo is suffering from tonsillitis so yesterday was not a great day for her, we are all just sitting around watching the cricket while i assemble Bella's presents from Santa! :laugh:

I'm also having the first of what promises to be lot of Strongbows today! :D

Plus i have made an inquiry into a 1/4 Green Lantern kit i just found on the forum and would love to add to my collection!!! :buttrock:

Justin
12-25-2010, 08:59 PM
You only have to look at his Ashes average to see how far he's fallen...16! :eek:

With a 50 not out next to his name also!!! :eek:

Justin
12-25-2010, 08:59 PM
If i seem to vanish for a while mate it's because i'm about to start a massive kitchen thing Bella got mate, it's huuuuuge!!!! :laugh:

RichBamf
12-25-2010, 09:03 PM
Yeah it was a great day thanks, Leo and i had lots of fun, sadly Leo is suffering from tonsillitis so yesterday was not a great day for her, we are all just sitting around watching the cricket while i assemble Bella's presents from Santa! :laugh:

I'm also having the first of what promises to be lot of Strongbows today! :D

Plus i have made an inquiry into a 1/4 Green Lantern kit i just found on the forum and would love to add to my collection!!! :buttrock:

Cool...couldn't imagine anything better mate! :buttrock:

Might wanna also ask Avi about the Green Lantern Bowen scale piece here....http://statueforum.com/showthread.php?t=106514

It's awesome and all his pieces come as fully painted and assembled pieces...he's such a great guy to deal with! :thumbs2:

RichBamf
12-25-2010, 09:04 PM
If i seem to vanish for a while mate it's because i'm about to start a massive kitchen thing Bella got mate, it's huuuuuge!!!! :laugh:

No wories mate, little'un needs her dad working today! :laugh: :thumbs2:

Justin
12-25-2010, 09:08 PM
Cool...couldn't imagine anything better mate! :buttrock:

Might wanna also ask Avi about the Green Lantern Bowen scale piece here....http://statueforum.com/showthread.php?t=106514

It's awesome and all his pieces come as fully painted and assembled pieces...he's such a great guy to deal with! :thumbs2:

Good god that is incredible!!!! :eek:

I wonder what he will be charging?!?!?! :confused:

Justin
12-25-2010, 09:09 PM
No wories mate, little'un needs her dad working today! :laugh: :thumbs2:

It's the main reason i said no to going to the game today, i knew i would have lots of work to do! :laugh:

Justin
12-25-2010, 09:30 PM
The English are well on top at this stage, need Clarke to stand up today, very important innings from him now!

Wrothy
12-25-2010, 09:54 PM
The English are well on top at this stage, need Clarke to stand up today, very important innings from him now!

Most definitely - if Clarke doesn't do something here, he needs to go!

Justin
12-26-2010, 12:10 AM
The Aussies are 9/96, it has played like it is yet another very good bowling wicket, lets see if the Aussies can out the ball in the right spots like the English guys have, we will find out this afternoon i guess! :laugh:

Royd
12-26-2010, 09:25 PM
Oh dear, we're f@#$%$! (unless a highly unlikely miracle happens).

Well done Jimmy A. and Big Tremlett!

RichBamf
12-27-2010, 02:11 PM
Good days batting from England...Ponting seems like a desperate man, his remonstrating is understandable but sad...the man needs to step back after the series, let someone fresh help the Aussies back to winning ways.

Tony Coca
12-27-2010, 02:13 PM
are you guys talking about crickett?

first time i saw this thread i thought you guys were talking about abarron.lol.

Justin
12-29-2010, 05:27 AM
are you guys talking about crickett?

first time i saw this thread i thought you guys were talking about abarron.lol.

LMFAO! :hilarious: :hilarious: :hilarious: :hilarious:

Justin
12-29-2010, 05:28 AM
Well i have to take my hat off to England, the two tests you guys have won you have clearly been the better team, well deserved!

Now it is time for Australia to make some hard calls, Ponting to get a farewell test, Clarke, Hughes and Smith out omitted, Harris out hurt. Katich, White, Khawaja and Beer into the side for the last test.

RichBamf
12-29-2010, 07:21 AM
Well i have to take my hat off to England, the two tests you guys have won you have clearly been the better team, well deserved!

Now it is time for Australia to make some hard calls, Ponting to get a farewell test, Clarke, Hughes and Smith out omitted, Harris out hurt. Katich, White, Khawaja and Beer into the side for the last test.

We played amazing in Melbourne...man I wish I would have gotten the opportunity to see a day live....

The journo's here are celebrating the retention of the ashes and rightly so, but I'd much prefer the Sydney test to go our way so we can celebrate a much needed and earned demolition of Australia on their home soil...No offence guys...:laugh:

The thing that has impressed me about England this time round is that every single player has contributed with good performances.

Collingwood hasn't added many with the bat, but his fielding displays have been amazing.

C'mon boys, don't lose focus like you did in the second test...:buttrock:

Wrothy
12-30-2010, 03:22 AM
So, Ponting and Harris out due to injury, Khawaja and Bollinger in, with Clarke captain.

Is that the best they could do? I would prefer that they dumped Clarke as well and put in White or Ferguson, with Haddin or Hussey as caretaker captain. I'm assuming that the only reason Hughes is still in is because Katich is still injured. And for crying out loud, bring Hauritz back in!

Royd
12-30-2010, 04:48 AM
Unfortunately, with Ponting out, the selectors probably felt that they had to retain Clarke due to his position as V-C :(

Plus they probably have it in the back of their minds that they have to keep their major sponsor (Vodaphone) happy and Clarke is the main face of their advertising campaign. Am I being too cynical here? Nah!!!

Hmmm.... given Hughes' performance, I'd also love to see White or Ferguson or D. Hussey even given a chance. Pleased to see Khawaja getting a gurnsey - I know he didn't perform too well in the Australia A game but his form in Shield cricket still warrants a chance.

As for Hauritz, agreed he should be back in the side but the selector's are probably too embarassed to admit that they made a mistake because he's now taking wickets and scoring centuries (2 of them!). If Paine had been fit, I would have considered giving him a go as a batsman as he's also done well at Test level (from memory).

So, Ponting and Harris out due to injury, Khawaja and Bollinger in, with Clarke captain.

Is that the best they could do? I would prefer that they dumped Clarke as well and put in White or Ferguson, with Haddin or Hussey as caretaker captain. I'm assuming that the only reason Hughes is still in is because Katich is still injured. And for crying out loud, bring Hauritz back in!

RichBamf
12-30-2010, 06:25 AM

Unfortunately, with Ponting out, the selectors probably felt that they had to retain Clarke due to his position as V-C :(

Plus they probably have it in the back of their minds that they have to keep their major sponsor (Vodaphone) happy and Clarke is the main face of their advertising campaign. Am I being too cynical here? Nah!!!

Hmmm.... given Hughes' performance, I'd also love to see White or Ferguson or D. Hussey even given a chance. Pleased to see Khawaja getting a gurnsey - I know he didn't perform too well in the Australia A game but his form in Shield cricket still warrants a chance.

As for Hauritz, agreed he should be back in the side but the selector's are probably too embarassed to admit that they made a mistake because he's now taking wickets and scoring centuries (2 of them!). If Paine had been fit, I would have considered giving him a go as a batsman as he's also done well at Test level (from memory).

To be honest, I understand the thought process in these changes...to drastically sweep through the team culling virtually everyone would have such a drastic morale crushing effect on the team.

BUT...

I'd see this next test as a experiment and put the best team in place they think they can for the future. Clarke and Hughes should be gone and done for a while IMO...give the Captaincy to Hussey, he's the only batsman that showed any real pride in the baggy green. :thumbsdow

Justin
01-02-2011, 07:39 PM
So the 5th Test has started, Australia actually won the toss and surprisingly choose to bat :sly2:

The pressure is really on the batsmen now, the ball is doing a bit early and the English bowlers should enjoy these conditions, very much what you would get on day one of an English test!

I said i wasn't going to watch because of my hatred for Clarke but who am i kidding, i'm sitting here hoping for the best! :laugh:

Come on Aussies, level the series!

Justin
01-02-2011, 07:40 PM
We played amazing in Melbourne...man I wish I would have gotten the opportunity to see a day live....

The journo's here are celebrating the retention of the ashes and rightly so, but I'd much prefer the Sydney test to go our way so we can celebrate a much needed and earned demolition of Australia on their home soil...No offence guys...:laugh:

The thing that has impressed me about England this time round is that every single player has contributed with good performances.

Collingwood hasn't added many with the bat, but his fielding displays have been amazing.

C'mon boys, don't lose focus like you did in the second test...:buttrock:

So two good catches means he has been good? :laugh:

I know you guys are doing the best you have for 20 years but settle down mate! :laugh:

Justin
01-02-2011, 08:16 PM
Are they sure KP isn't from the Subcontinent? He will appeal at anything! It's borderline cheating!

Justin
01-02-2011, 09:33 PM
The Aussies are 1/55 at lunch, almost made it right through the first session without losing a wicket, Hughes went out in the final over :banghead:

England have bowled fairly well on a helpful wicket, let's see what happens in 40 minutes!

Justin
01-02-2011, 11:56 PM
We are 2/111 during the second session, it's a rain break.

Watson AGAIN gets a start and fails to turn it into a big score :banghead:

Tony Coca
01-02-2011, 11:59 PM
i still think you guys are making fun of Abarron.

Justin
01-03-2011, 12:00 AM
i still think you guys are making fun of Abarron.

Nah mate :D

Justin
01-03-2011, 01:22 AM
Clarke fails...yet again!!!

Another soft shot! :banghead:

RichBamf
01-03-2011, 07:27 AM
So two good catches means he has been good? :laugh:

I know you guys are doing the best you have for 20 years but settle down mate! :laugh:

Yeah I suppose you're right, easy to get caught up in the heat of it...but he's fielded well that is for sure...

Justin
01-03-2011, 08:22 PM
Yeah I suppose you're right, easy to get caught up in the heat of it...but he's fielded well that is for sure...

Nothing wrong with being enthusiastic mate, just need to keep the feet on the ground a little! :laugh: :p

Also no doubt he is an excellent little fielder!

Justin
01-04-2011, 05:38 AM
Well that was a great day of criket, both sides had their moments and the game is still very even, if the Aussies can get Cook out early tomorrow England are in trouble, i can't believe we got another wicket overturned because of a no ball, that was so costly today! 2 great days of cricket so far!

RichBamf
01-04-2011, 06:58 AM
Well that was a great day of criket, both sides had their moments and the game is still very even, if the Aussies can get Cook out early tomorrow England are in trouble, i can't believe we got another wicket overturned because of a no ball, that was so costly today! 2 great days of cricket so far!

Johnson and Hilfenhaus did your boys proud today...that wicket stand of 76 saved the game for you IMO.

England in a slightly better position...can't believe that was Trott's first career duck.

RichBamf
01-04-2011, 06:59 AM
Nothing wrong with being enthusiastic mate, just need to keep the feet on the ground a little! :laugh: :p

Also no doubt he is an excellent little fielder!

And he also got Huss out...:laugh:

Justin
01-04-2011, 07:05 AM
Johnson and Hilfenhaus did your boys proud today...that wicket stand of 76 saved the game for you IMO.

England in a slightly better position...can't believe that was Trott's first career duck.

It kept us alive with a chance of going into the second innings with a lead, no doubt about that mate! :thumbs2:

Tomorrow will be the best day to bat i think so early wickets will be key, the other 3 times we have got your top 3 bats out for a relatively cheap score we have kept England to a low total so i'm hoping Cook goes early tomorrow! ;)

Justin
01-04-2011, 07:05 AM
And he also got Huss out...:laugh:

How much do you think Hussey was kicking himself for going out to a nothing ball like that? :laugh:

RichBamf
01-04-2011, 07:14 AM
It kept us alive with a chance of going into the second innings with a lead, no doubt about that mate! :thumbs2:

Tomorrow will be the best day to bat i think so early wickets will be key, the other 3 times we have got your top 3 bats out for a relatively cheap score we have kept England to a low total so i'm hoping Cook goes early tomorrow! ;)

True that...tomorrow is key.

I'm hoping there is some serious wag in the tail, that second test is the only time in a year I've seen England fall so swiftly, so I'm hoping Prior, Bell and Collingwood can give some big scores, there could be 300 runs in those guys.

Very nice to see Strauss come out so agressively, though.

RichBamf
01-04-2011, 07:20 AM
How much do you think Hussey was kicking himself for going out to a nothing ball like that? :laugh:

Well it had NO pace, nice bit of swing though...Hussey was supposed to be weak against bounce, but it's varying pace that has caught him out these last few tests...

Justin
01-04-2011, 07:20 AM
True that...tomorrow is key.

I'm hoping there is some serious wag in the tail, that second test is the only time in a year I've seen England fall so swiftly, so I'm hoping Prior, Bell and Collingwood can give some big scores, there could be 300 runs in those guys.

Very nice to see Strauss come out so agressively, though.

Collingwood and Prior have only made runs in this series when there was no pressure, so i'm hoping they have plenty of them when they come in! ;)

Bell is batting to low to be damaging i think, he isn't a big hitter so when he gets stuck with the tail he is screwed, he needs to bat higher, i think 5 should be his spot.

Strauss played exceedingly well, it took a great ball to get him, i thought he was looking at a ton for sure!

Justin
01-04-2011, 07:25 AM
Well it had NO pace, nice bit of swing though...Hussey was supposed to be weak against bounce, but it's varying pace that has caught him out these last few tests...

I think it just has to go down to a mental lapse, Hussey could play Collingwood for a month and not go out if he was switched on, he just relaxed and made a mistake, well thats my take anyways :)

Hussey goes out a bit if he attempts the cover drives before he is in as he plays a long way in front of his body and can spoon in, as we saw in Melbourne, growing up playing on the fastest pitch in the world can do that i guess? :laugh:

This wicket is hard to drive on, none of the batsmen have been able to drive well straight on this wicket consistently so it shows there is a lack of pace, it may quicken up tomorrow if it dries up making it easier to bat but i'm not sure what the weather forecast is?

RichBamf
01-04-2011, 07:25 AM
Collingwood and Prior have only made runs in this series when there was no pressure, so i'm hoping they have plenty of them when they come in! ;)

Bell is batting to low to be damaging i think, he isn't a big hitter so when he gets stuck with the tail he is screwed, he needs to bat higher, i think 5 should be his spot.

Strauss played exceedingly well, it took a great ball to get him, i thought he was looking at a ton for sure!

I always say you can only play against what's in front of you...and whether under pressure or not, they need to play how I know they can.

Totally agree that bell is in the wrong place, he's much more efficient at 4 or 5.

Justin
01-04-2011, 07:30 AM
I always say you can only play against what's in front of you...and whether under pressure or not, they need to play how I know they can.

Totally agree that bell is in the wrong place, he's much more efficient at 4 or 5.

Test cricket is all about pressure though mate, the greats learn to cope with it while the others struggle more often than not when the pressure is on, it's like making runs against Bangladesh when people look at it they know it only inflates stats, look what Murli's record is against them and then what he avg's against Australia, especially in Australia, it's why i personally have no doubt Warne was a superior bowler, well that and the fact he bowls the ball also! :laugh:

But to get back to this series!

Yeah Bell has shown signs that he has improved a lot as a player, i wouldn't think 4 because thats where KP bats but he should be a monty for 5, it's funny how the powers that be can miss simple things! :confused2

RichBamf
01-04-2011, 07:32 AM
I think it just has to go down to a mental lapse, Hussey could play Collingwood for a month and not go out if he was switched on, he just relaxed and made a mistake, well thats my take anyways :)

Hussey goes out a bit if he attempts the cover drives before he is in as he plays a long way in front of his body and can spoon in, as we saw in Melbourne, growing up playing on the fastest pitch in the world can do that i guess? :laugh:

This wicket is hard to drive on, none of the batsmen have been able to drive well straight on this wicket consistently so it shows there is a lack of pace, it may quicken up tomorrow if it dries up making it easier to bat but i'm not sure what the weather forecast is?

Yeah that is true I suppose...but as I say, you can only bat against what is in front of you...

RichBamf
01-04-2011, 07:35 AM
Test cricket is all about pressure though mate, the greats learn to cope with it while the others struggle more often than not when the pressure is on, it's like making runs against Bangladesh when people look at it they know it only inflates stats, look what Murli's record is against them and then what he avg's against Australia, especially in Australia, it's why i personally have no doubt Warne was a superior bowler, well that and the fact he bowls the ball also! :laugh:

But to get back to this series!

Yeah Bell has shown signs that he has improved a lot as a player, i wouldn't think 4 because thats where KP bats but he should be a monty for 5, it's funny how the powers that be can miss simple things! :confused2

Pressure plays a big part, but only in some players games. There are players who I've seen thrive in those high pressure circumstances, but play awful when their team looks safe and sound.

Concentration is the biggest factor in my eyes. Treating each ball as if it was your first is the way I used to bat, and it always served me pretty well.

Well as much as I like the runs KP scores, I'd much rather have him out of the team. He's a disruptive influence.

Justin
01-04-2011, 07:36 AM
Yeah that is true I suppose...but as I say, you can only bat against what is in front of you...

And Collingwood got him today so he has to live with that shame now! :laugh:

I'm just looking forward to tomorrows play, did you watch must of todays Bamfer?

Justin
01-04-2011, 07:43 AM
Pressure plays a big part, but only in some players games. There are players who I've seen thrive in those high pressure circumstances, but play awful when their team looks safe and sound.

Concentration is the biggest factor in my eyes. Treating each ball as if it was your first is the way I used to bat, and it always served me pretty well.

Well as much as I like the runs KP scores, I'd much rather have him out of the team. He's a disruptive influence.

Those are the players you want, anyone can be a front runner, the guys that stand up when it matters are the ones you build a great team around, Border, Boon, Waugh, Gilly, Punter (In younger days), Langer & Hayden, all those guys made it a habit of scoring runs when the team needed them, i'll never forget Langer and Gilly putting on over 250 runs to get us home in a test against Pakistan in what was then the start of our world record 14 tests in a row winning streak, against Akram and Younis i may add, they are the guys the fans love, Akram smashed Langer in the face at one stage and knocked two teeth out and Langer just looked at him with a smile on his face, showing his missing teeth! It was insane! :hilarious:

I personally think you just have to play each ball on it's merits, regardless of how is bowling, if it is a good one keep it out if it not, put it away. Just each ball as it comes, not that i did it that much myself, i always liked putting them over the fence to much! :confused2

You want KP out mate? Even though he is a match winner for you guys?

RichBamf
01-05-2011, 06:20 AM
And Collingwood got him today so he has to live with that shame now! :laugh:

I'm just looking forward to tomorrows play, did you watch must of todays Bamfer?

Yeah, I watched all yesterday and the day before...I'll be glad when this is over to be honest, I'm absolutely knackered.

RichBamf
01-05-2011, 06:35 AM
Those are the players you want, anyone can be a front runner, the guys that stand up when it matters are the ones you build a great team around, Border, Boon, Waugh, Gilly, Punter (In younger days), Langer & Hayden, all those guys made it a habit of scoring runs when the team needed them, i'll never forget Langer and Gilly putting on over 250 runs to get us home in a test against Pakistan in what was then the start of our world record 14 tests in a row winning streak, against Akram and Younis i may add, they are the guys the fans love, Akram smashed Langer in the face at one stage and knocked two teeth out and Langer just looked at him with a smile on his face, showing his missing teeth! It was insane! :hilarious:

I personally think you just have to play each ball on it's merits, regardless of how is bowling, if it is a good one keep it out if it not, put it away. Just each ball as it comes, not that i did it that much myself, i always liked putting them over the fence to much! :confused2

You want KP out mate? Even though he is a match winner for you guys?

I remember that test, at the peak of the Aussie Dominance.

Personally, I've loved to see the emergence of the English team as a confident talented unit. We had fantastic players even back when Atherton was in charge, but it always felt like a team of individuals rather than a team of team players.

It wasn't until Stewart took over that adventure started to creep into the play with Thorpe and then players like Nasser and Vaughn, Flintoff and then now players like Cook. English cricket has emulated Aussie teams in making sure the run rate stays high and that players are using positive stroke play and bowling techniques...gone are the days when simply sticking to your line and length and playing defensive strokes and waiting for a real opportunity to emerge to take a shot can really win you a test match. All that does is ensure that you are in a long time and not getting runs on the board. I'd rather a batsmen come out get 61 off 59 balls and get out, rather than plug away for 6 hours and get 40 runs.

And that's where my loathing of KP comes into play, not for thew positive approach angle, he has that in spades. But for the team player aspect.

He was a dictator as a Cpt and was rightly dismissed, he was dropped for low scores and acted like a child Bazinga!Bazinga!Bazinga!Bazinga!Bazinga!ing to anyone and everyone who'd listen. The man cares about himself first and the team second, I'd rather have someone like Bell, the unsung hero of many tests in there than that Saffer pillock.

RichBamf
01-05-2011, 06:37 AM
Great display from Cookie and Bell today...but yet another disappointing knock from Colly-Wobbles...he needed to stand up and make waves, and he failed. He should be dropped for the next test series IMO.

RichBamf
01-06-2011, 06:24 AM
I gotta say I'm REALLY disappointed with both the Aussie and Brit media, each claiming the other side cheated yesterday.

When Hughes 'caught' Cook on 99, the decision was referred and it showed that the ball had bounced before it came up into his hands. The cries of 'cheat' then came out from some notable English media outlets, the foremost being Sir Ian Botham (who gets a little heated some days). The thing they didn't all know until they were interviewed later that night/the next day was that Hughes was not sure he caught it, and even asked Cook if he had claimed it fairly. Cook said he didn't know but was not moving on 99 for anyone. Cook apparently said to Hughes later that he did the right thing in asking for the referral in such an important game.

Later on we had Ian Bell feathering a ball to the keeper on 67, but convinced he had not hit the ball. Hotspot showed no contact only for later the snicko to confirm he had. When asked later, Clarke said that Bell did exactly the right thing if he was not convinced he hit it, and he didn't bemoan technology, he just stated that it wasn't perfect, but it was true 99% of the time, and Alim Dar made the right decision given the evidence...to be honest, I've had an edged shot deviate massively off a feathered touch I never even felt, so I sympathise.

It's refreshing to see both sides playing with the sportsmanship I know they usually show each other.

What is totally and utterly out of order is the Aussie crowd booing Bell when he got his century, and then booing him off when he got out....totally wrong and shows some of the crowd for the bad losers they are. I just can't condone that.

RichBamf
01-06-2011, 06:41 AM
Great days play yesterday/today, Prior's knock was the best I've seen from him in a while, and nice to see the bowlers chip in with a few.

The real shock was how the Aussies capitulated so badly in this innings. Hughes AGAIN costing the team more than just his own wicket, selling Watson out when he'd just got some momentum built.

Clarke was unlucky, you could hear the groan from him as he prodded at that outswinger, but superb bowling from Bresnan and Anderson today...they've done a fantastic job all series long.

Shame Swann hasn't got more wickets, but the conditions have been favourable to swing bowlers, and we've got great swing bowlers.

Should be a formality now...but as an English i know we work really hard to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory...so I'll wait until the last wicket tumbles :laugh:

Wrothy
01-06-2011, 06:53 AM
I gotta say I'm REALLY disappointed with both the Aussie and Brit media, each claiming the other side cheated yesterday.

When Hughes 'caught' Cook on 99, the decision was referred and it showed that the ball had bounced before it came up into his hands. The cries of 'cheat' then came out from some notable English media outlets, the foremost being Sir Ian Botham (who gets a little heated some days). The thing they didn't all know until they were interviewed later that night/the next day was that Hughes was not sure he caught it, and even asked Cook if he had claimed it fairly. Cook said he didn't know but was not moving on 99 for anyone. Cook apparently said to Hughes later that he did the right thing in asking for the referral in such an important game.

Later on we had Ian Bell feathering a ball to the keeper on 67, but convinced he had not hit the ball. Hotspot showed no contact only for later the snicko to confirm he had. When asked later, Clarke said that Bell did exactly the right thing if he was not convinced he hit it, and he didn't bemoan technology, he just stated that it wasn't perfect, but it was true 99% of the time, and Alim Dar made the right decision given the evidence...to be honest, I've had an edged shot deviate massively off a feathered touch I never even felt, so I sympathise.

It's refreshing to see both sides playing with the sportsmanship I know they usually show each other.

What is totally and utterly out of order is the Aussie crowd booing Bell when he got his century, and then booing him off when he got out....totally wrong and shows some of the crowd for the bad losers they are. I just can't condone that.

I agree with you wholeheartedly mate, but then we know that the media just loves to stir the pot.

Wrothy
01-06-2011, 07:02 AM
Great days play yesterday/today, Prior's knock was the best I've seen from him in a while, and nice to see the bowlers chip in with a few.

The real shock was how the Aussies capitulated so badly in this innings. Hughes AGAIN costing the team more than just his own wicket, selling Watson out when he'd just got some momentum built.

Clarke was unlucky, you could hear the groan from him as he prodded at that outswinger, but superb bowling from Bresnan and Anderson today...they've done a fantastic job all series long.

Shame Swann hasn't got more wickets, but the conditions have been favourable to swing bowlers, and we've got great swing bowlers.

Should be a formality now...but as an English i know we work really hard to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory...so I'll wait until the last wicket tumbles :laugh:

Another great all-round performance from the England team.

The Australian team just appears to have lost all confidence. From what I've read though, Watson's wicket was as much his own fault, as he turned blind for the second run, which is something you simply should not see in Test cricket.

RichBamf
01-06-2011, 07:13 AM
Another great all-round performance from the England team.

The Australian team just appears to have lost all confidence. From what I've read though, Watson's wicket was as much his own fault, as he turned blind for the second run, which is something you simply should not see in Test cricket.

Yeah that is a good point, but apparently Hughes called for the quick run as he faced the ball, then waited to see what would happen, only telling Watson to stop when he'd run halfway down the wicket...:banghead:

RichBamf
01-06-2011, 07:14 AM
I agree with you wholeheartedly mate, but then we know that the media just loves to stir the pot.

:thumbs2:

RichBamf
01-07-2011, 11:20 AM
:buttrock:

Good on you boys...you did your country proud, and good on you Collingwood, you retired on a team, if not individaul high, stick with the 20-20, you're a better player in that format.

Kudos to Clarke too, he said some really nice things about England in his end of series speeches. Really impressed by his sportsmanship in a very difficult test. :D

:buttrock:

RichBamf
01-07-2011, 02:05 PM
Interesting article on BBC.co.uk from Tom Fordyce and Michael Vaughn. Harsh in places but needed reading and contemplation for Clarke and Ponting.

THE REAL REASONS ENGLAND WON THE ASHES...

PROPER PREPARATION

Four years ago, England played almost no first-class cricket before the first Test at the Gabba. This time around, they played two three-day games and one four-day fixture and took them all extremely seriously. The Test batsman played all three; the first-choice bowlers played the first two and then travelled to Brisbane to acclimatise while the reserve bowlers, including Chris Tremlett and Tim Bresnan, honed their skills.

When England arrived down under, Australia were doing things rather differently - playing one-day cricket against Sri Lanka. They began the Test series with several players unfit (Doug Bollinger, Ryan Harris) and were playing catch-up from then on.

SUPER SELECTIONS
England's picks came off every time. Both Tremlett and Bresnan attracted criticism when originally selected for the touring party, but both played pivotal roles in the eventual triumph: Tremlett took 17 wickets in his three matches, Bresnan 11 in his two. Steven Finn had been England's leading wicket-taker when he was rested after Perth, but the decision to leave him out proved to be correct.

Australia's selectors proved an unmitigated disaster. Overly influenced by the marketing department, they named their initial squad 10 days before the first Test and so had to list 17 players, more than England's entire touring party.

Xavier Doherty bombed; Bollinger was picked when unfit and, in his captain's words "hit the wall"; Phillip Hughes got the nod despite woeful domestic form and continued in exactly the same vein; Steve Smith was never a Test number six and the all-pace attack was found horribly wanting in Melbourne.

CONTRASTING CAPTAINS
Once the nightmare of that first over duck in Brisbane was out of the way, almost everything Andrew Strauss tried worked out. His field placings were solid, his bowling plans spot on; with the bat he averaged over 40.

Ricky Ponting? He had his worst series in memory, hapless with the bat, fidgety in the field and unable to arrest his side's alarming decline.

"Ponting needed to score runs," says former England skipper and now Test Match Special summariser Michael Vaughan. "You get to the stage as a captain when you're under pressure that you start looking at too many other areas - you start looking at your PR, how the media are treating you - when fundamentally you just need to score runs.

"Ponting didn't. If he had scored his usual runs and averaged, say, 50, Australia would have had something for their bowlers to aim at. Their bowlers have been criticised a lot, but it's their top six that just hasn't worked on pitches that have been good, and Ponting should have been their leading light."

TACTICAL TRIUMPHS
England bowled to carefully worked out plans devised by coach Andy Flower and bowling coach David Saker, based on hours of video footage and laptop analysis. They then had the skill to implement those plans.

Australia seemed unable to identify English weaknesses; they targeted Jonathan Trott's body in Melbourne, allowing him to score 80% of his runs through the leg side, and then fed Matt Prior outside off stump during his rapid-fire century in Sydney.

"For Peter Siddle not to bowl one ball round the wicket at Alastair Cook in the fifth Test, when he scored 189, is scandalous," says Vaughan.

"The result in Perth didn't actually help them. It made them produce a green wicket in Melbourne, and England's bowlers destroyed them. If they'd produced a normal wicket in Melbourne and given their batsmen a chance to get 400 in the first innings, they may have had a chance. That's an example of the sort of error England just didn't make."

RUNS ON THE BOARD
England decided before the series began that their best bet was to use scoreboard pressure to attack Australia. They delivered.

Cook scored more runs in a Test series than all but one man in history, the team compiled two of their biggest ever innings scores, and a new series record of nine centuries were scored.

The opposition? "Australia only scored 400 once in the series," says Vaughan. "Not one of their top four batsmen scored a century, the first time that has happened since 1956. They've been outclassed."

BOWLING BRILLIANCE
England's attack was supposed to struggle with the Kookaburra ball on Australian pitches. Instead, it dominated. With the invaluable inside knowledge of Victoria-born Saker, the fast bowlers found conventional swing early on and reverse-swing much earlier - and to a much greater extent - than any touring England team had ever done before. When the ball wasn't moving around, their relentless accuracy squeezed the life out the Aussie top order.

James Anderson's 24 wickets was the best haul achieved in Australia by an English bowler since Frank Tyson in the 1950s. Tremlett took 17 in three, Finn 16 from the same number and Bresnan 11 from two. With the exception of Perth, Australia's best just couldn't get close.

PERFECT PAIRS
England's batsmen produced 11 century partnerships. Australia produced four.
With the ball it was the same one-sided story. There was rarely a loose end when England were bowling, the bowlers hunting in pairs to leave the opposition no room to relax, but when Australia bowled, relief was always at hand.

Never was this more obvious than in Adelaide, where Harris's hard work was wasted as Doherty and Bollinger were punished at the other end.

Richard Halsall (right) has turned England into a brilliant fielding unit - photo: Getty

CATCHES WIN MATCHES
This is undoubtedly the best England fielding side of all time, and specialist coach Richard Halsall deserves enormous praise. Collingwood took nine catches in the series, Strauss eight, Swann six, far more than managed by any Australian.

It wasn't just the number of catches either, although those were remarkable; barely any went down, and the best (Collingwood off Ponting in Perth, Strauss off the same man in Adelaide) were outstanding. England pulled off four run-outs, two of them from a man - Trott - who no-one would have had down as an ace arm, and dived and chased relentlessly.

Australia not only dropped catches (Johnson off Strauss in Brisbane the most costly) but even failed to touch them (Haddin and Watson off Strauss in Perth). They missed at least four clear run-out chances and then ran between the wickets themselves like amateurs.

In their past 11 Tests they have conceded 10 run-outs and made just four. Once the world's premier fielding unit, they are now among the weakest.

SWANN VS THE REST

Graeme Swann took 15 wickets on pitches that have broken lesser finger spinners. He did so with an economy rate of 2.72 runs an over. Australia's spinners (Doherty, Beer, North and Smith) between them took five wickets at a cost of 666 runs, beastly numbers indeed.

"When Swann has had the conditions that allow spin, he's taken wickets," says Vaughan. "When he hasn't, he has blocked an end up so the pace bowlers can all have a rest.

"Look at Adelaide. That was a massive game. Without his wickets and with that weather coming in, England would have drawn that game. They would have lost at the Waca, gone 1-0 down and then had to win the last two matches. It wouldn't have happened."

THE TEAM GAME

Every England player contributed in at least one match. They make up four of the five leading wicket-takers, have seven of the top nine individual scores and all three of the top catchers.

"Cook got man of the series, but you could pick out three or four guys," says Vaughan. "Anderson has been brilliant; Tremlett coming in has played a massive role, and Prior has been up there too. Trott at three has been great. That's what happens in good teams - someone always sticks their hand up, but it's not always the same person."

THE SIMPLE TRUTH

"The better team won," says Vaughan. "England have simply got better players.
"They're a 40% better cricket team. They think better, they play better, they have better players and better coaches.

"Australia are in denial. Until they actually realise what a poor state they're in, they're in trouble. It'll take them a while to improve as it is, but until they openly admit they need to make changes, they will struggle."

Justin
01-08-2011, 06:58 AM
Have to say congrats to the Poms, they were simply a class above the Aussies this summer and deserved the win, they applied pressure with the ball, took any chances they were given while batting and fielded very well, the better team won, 3-1 was a fitting and just result :thumbs2:

Justin
01-08-2011, 07:04 AM
Interesting article on BBC.co.uk from Tom Fordyce and Michael Vaughn. Harsh in places but needed reading and contemplation for Clarke and Ponting.

THE REAL REASONS ENGLAND WON THE ASHES...

PROPER PREPARATION

Four years ago, England played almost no first-class cricket before the first Test at the Gabba. This time around, they played two three-day games and one four-day fixture and took them all extremely seriously. The Test batsman played all three; the first-choice bowlers played the first two and then travelled to Brisbane to acclimatise while the reserve bowlers, including Chris Tremlett and Tim Bresnan, honed their skills.

When England arrived down under, Australia were doing things rather differently - playing one-day cricket against Sri Lanka. They began the Test series with several players unfit (Doug Bollinger, Ryan Harris) and were playing catch-up from then on.

SUPER SELECTIONS
England's picks came off every time. Both Tremlett and Bresnan attracted criticism when originally selected for the touring party, but both played pivotal roles in the eventual triumph: Tremlett took 17 wickets in his three matches, Bresnan 11 in his two. Steven Finn had been England's leading wicket-taker when he was rested after Perth, but the decision to leave him out proved to be correct.

Australia's selectors proved an unmitigated disaster. Overly influenced by the marketing department, they named their initial squad 10 days before the first Test and so had to list 17 players, more than England's entire touring party.

Xavier Doherty bombed; Bollinger was picked when unfit and, in his captain's words "hit the wall"; Phillip Hughes got the nod despite woeful domestic form and continued in exactly the same vein; Steve Smith was never a Test number six and the all-pace attack was found horribly wanting in Melbourne.

CONTRASTING CAPTAINS
Once the nightmare of that first over duck in Brisbane was out of the way, almost everything Andrew Strauss tried worked out. His field placings were solid, his bowling plans spot on; with the bat he averaged over 40.

Ricky Ponting? He had his worst series in memory, hapless with the bat, fidgety in the field and unable to arrest his side's alarming decline.

"Ponting needed to score runs," says former England skipper and now Test Match Special summariser Michael Vaughan. "You get to the stage as a captain when you're under pressure that you start looking at too many other areas - you start looking at your PR, how the media are treating you - when fundamentally you just need to score runs.

"Ponting didn't. If he had scored his usual runs and averaged, say, 50, Australia would have had something for their bowlers to aim at. Their bowlers have been criticised a lot, but it's their top six that just hasn't worked on pitches that have been good, and Ponting should have been their leading light."

TACTICAL TRIUMPHS
England bowled to carefully worked out plans devised by coach Andy Flower and bowling coach David Saker, based on hours of video footage and laptop analysis. They then had the skill to implement those plans.

Australia seemed unable to identify English weaknesses; they targeted Jonathan Trott's body in Melbourne, allowing him to score 80% of his runs through the leg side, and then fed Matt Prior outside off stump during his rapid-fire century in Sydney.

"For Peter Siddle not to bowl one ball round the wicket at Alastair Cook in the fifth Test, when he scored 189, is scandalous," says Vaughan.

"The result in Perth didn't actually help them. It made them produce a green wicket in Melbourne, and England's bowlers destroyed them. If they'd produced a normal wicket in Melbourne and given their batsmen a chance to get 400 in the first innings, they may have had a chance. That's an example of the sort of error England just didn't make."

RUNS ON THE BOARD
England decided before the series began that their best bet was to use scoreboard pressure to attack Australia. They delivered.

Cook scored more runs in a Test series than all but one man in history, the team compiled two of their biggest ever innings scores, and a new series record of nine centuries were scored.

The opposition? "Australia only scored 400 once in the series," says Vaughan. "Not one of their top four batsmen scored a century, the first time that has happened since 1956. They've been outclassed."

BOWLING BRILLIANCE
England's attack was supposed to struggle with the Kookaburra ball on Australian pitches. Instead, it dominated. With the invaluable inside knowledge of Victoria-born Saker, the fast bowlers found conventional swing early on and reverse-swing much earlier - and to a much greater extent - than any touring England team had ever done before. When the ball wasn't moving around, their relentless accuracy squeezed the life out the Aussie top order.

James Anderson's 24 wickets was the best haul achieved in Australia by an English bowler since Frank Tyson in the 1950s. Tremlett took 17 in three, Finn 16 from the same number and Bresnan 11 from two. With the exception of Perth, Australia's best just couldn't get close.

PERFECT PAIRS
England's batsmen produced 11 century partnerships. Australia produced four.
With the ball it was the same one-sided story. There was rarely a loose end when England were bowling, the bowlers hunting in pairs to leave the opposition no room to relax, but when Australia bowled, relief was always at hand.

Never was this more obvious than in Adelaide, where Harris's hard work was wasted as Doherty and Bollinger were punished at the other end.

Richard Halsall (right) has turned England into a brilliant fielding unit - photo: Getty

CATCHES WIN MATCHES
This is undoubtedly the best England fielding side of all time, and specialist coach Richard Halsall deserves enormous praise. Collingwood took nine catches in the series, Strauss eight, Swann six, far more than managed by any Australian.

It wasn't just the number of catches either, although those were remarkable; barely any went down, and the best (Collingwood off Ponting in Perth, Strauss off the same man in Adelaide) were outstanding. England pulled off four run-outs, two of them from a man - Trott - who no-one would have had down as an ace arm, and dived and chased relentlessly.

Australia not only dropped catches (Johnson off Strauss in Brisbane the most costly) but even failed to touch them (Haddin and Watson off Strauss in Perth). They missed at least four clear run-out chances and then ran between the wickets themselves like amateurs.

In their past 11 Tests they have conceded 10 run-outs and made just four. Once the world's premier fielding unit, they are now among the weakest.

SWANN VS THE REST

Graeme Swann took 15 wickets on pitches that have broken lesser finger spinners. He did so with an economy rate of 2.72 runs an over. Australia's spinners (Doherty, Beer, North and Smith) between them took five wickets at a cost of 666 runs, beastly numbers indeed.

"When Swann has had the conditions that allow spin, he's taken wickets," says Vaughan. "When he hasn't, he has blocked an end up so the pace bowlers can all have a rest.

"Look at Adelaide. That was a massive game. Without his wickets and with that weather coming in, England would have drawn that game. They would have lost at the Waca, gone 1-0 down and then had to win the last two matches. It wouldn't have happened."

THE TEAM GAME

Every England player contributed in at least one match. They make up four of the five leading wicket-takers, have seven of the top nine individual scores and all three of the top catchers.

"Cook got man of the series, but you could pick out three or four guys," says Vaughan. "Anderson has been brilliant; Tremlett coming in has played a massive role, and Prior has been up there too. Trott at three has been great. That's what happens in good teams - someone always sticks their hand up, but it's not always the same person."

THE SIMPLE TRUTH

"The better team won," says Vaughan. "England have simply got better players.
"They're a 40% better cricket team. They think better, they play better, they have better players and better coaches.

"Australia are in denial. Until they actually realise what a poor state they're in, they're in trouble. It'll take them a while to improve as it is, but until they openly admit they need to make changes, they will struggle."

Good god, how long have these guys been waiting to write this article? :laugh:

England are not the best team in the world, they simply beat what is an average Australian team that on their day is a good side but when they are not at 100% are showed to be well behind a strong team.

I could not agree more that this series needs to be a wake up call, accepting this level of performance should not be tolerated, there needs to be change at every level of Australian cricket for us to get back where we have been for 20 of the last 24 years, the top of the test cricket world.

Justin
01-08-2011, 07:11 AM

Couple of things i don't think are right here mate, he didn't look convinced to me, he looked like a guy that was hoping to dodge a bullet and he did, the 3rd umpire got it wrong, there was a dot that appeared on "hot spot" for a few frames and then vanished, as would happen from a faint edge, Bell used the rules in place and got away with one, good luck to him.

That being said i think the fans that forked out their hard earned at the ground had every right to show their disdain for him, he worked the system to his advantage, they are allowed to show him they don't agree. I personally don't think it has anything to do with being "bad losers" just thinking Bell should not longer have been batting, i tell you if i was there i would have been booing him also, he should have been out but wasn't, thats BS and i would have let him know what i thought :thumbs2:

Justin
01-14-2011, 12:57 AM
I thought there were some good signs in the first 20/20 for both sides, looking forward to seeing how it unfolds tonight!

Justin
01-15-2011, 11:56 PM
Why am i forced to watch Brett Lee wearing the Australian colours again!?!?!?!? :banghead: