PDA

View Full Version : sideshow now insists on pieces being returned instead of destroyed?

michaelgloch
12-23-2010, 04:24 AM
anyhow, I recently picked up a Jedi Luke PF from Alter Ego Comics and it arrived fine except for the fact the light up feature in the lightsaber won't work.
arranged for a replacement piece to be sent with no hitches.

anyway, even through I'm an international customer in Canada, Sideshow's customer service is completely disinterested in me just taking a hammer to the piece I've already got and really wants me to return it.

is this the start of some new trend for Sideshow or am I just lucky to granted such special treatment to have go through all the pain and hassle with customs and shipping?
anyone else run into this so far where they don't want you just breaking it?

Nidgit
12-23-2010, 04:48 AM
Perhaps they're going to repaint it and send it out as an IM batch 2 maquette :p

Seriously though, it may just be for Canadian customers, as opposed to those even farther away such as Australia and the UK ?

EndoPredAliens
12-23-2010, 04:50 AM
1:2 scale Terminator Endoskeleton. I'm in the US. Light up function didn't work. I had to send it back. I don't think you were singled out. This was about a year ago for me.

Bullseye
12-23-2010, 05:30 AM
This maybe an easy fix. I can understand pieces being destroyed when collectors are overseas but alot of these defects are paint applications. It makes sense to have them repainted in house. In your instance it maybe possible to repair the electrical elements. As long as they pay for shipping I don't see the problem.

Darth Pain
12-23-2010, 07:41 AM
It's probably just certain cases. A member just destroyed his Thanos by Sideshow's request.

ambasah
12-23-2010, 07:49 AM
I am in Canada also and have had to return items as well as destroy them. I guess it depends on the piece and the nature of the issue.

Dan_Lebou
12-23-2010, 08:41 AM
I'm in the UK and I had to destroy my Ms Marvel PF when it arrived damaged.

El Diablo
12-23-2010, 08:45 AM
I think overseas will always have to destroy defective statues. The hassle of arranging collections for return shipping and the costs involved are too great.

risingstar
12-23-2010, 09:02 AM
Depends on the case. I think US based clients are asked to return pieces more often than Internationals. However, if your piece shipped broken, it seems silly to ask for it back.

Collection King 13
12-23-2010, 09:36 AM
I've had to do both as well...

Spazzy
12-23-2010, 10:53 AM
I got a replacement Sabretooth left hand coming, didn't need to break the hand, so in case the replacement ever gets damaged I got an extra I can retouch.

Spazzy
12-23-2010, 10:54 AM
I've also had to returnn the t800 bust, and destroyed the mystique comiquette, I think it all depends.

Xenomorph79
12-23-2010, 12:08 PM
My original Predator diorama was shipped with the numbers smeared across the underside of the base. Looked like they packaged it while the paint marker was still wet.

I had to send photos of the carelessness and also break it up and send photos of that for a replacement base that they issued according to the number on the shipping box. The smear was actually so bad on the base it was unreadable.

NorthernLadMSP
12-23-2010, 01:12 PM
So, wait, this may be a stupid question, but Sideshow will work with you on replacement pieces or statues even if you buy your statue from a different retailer??

Spazzy
12-23-2010, 01:15 PM
I believe only if they are authorized dealers.

bloodrain
12-23-2010, 01:23 PM
So, wait, this may be a stupid question, but Sideshow will work with you on replacement pieces or statues even if you buy your statue from a different retailer??

you have to go back through the retailer or original buyer. sideshow then works with them. Sideshows 30 day warranty is for the original purchase (according to their website).

NorthernLadMSP
12-23-2010, 01:27 PM
That is what I thought, but the person who created this thread is stating otherwise. He/she told us they bought a Luke statue from Alter Ego Comics (a retailer), and yet, is having beef on dealing with Sideshow and how they're making him/her send the item back to Sideshow rather than just destroying it. I'm confused.

borrelen
12-23-2010, 01:30 PM
Maybe they caught wind of the forum members who brag about repairing the destroyed statues and re-selling them.

Webb
12-23-2010, 06:48 PM
It's closer to send an item from California to Toronto than to Maine.
So makes sense to ask them back.

Parker
12-23-2010, 07:15 PM
Just depends - most of my exhcanges have been to destroy and I live in Northern California

michaelgloch
12-23-2010, 10:13 PM
That is what I thought, but the person who created this thread is stating otherwise. He/she told us they bought a Luke statue from Alter Ego Comics (a retailer), and yet, is having beef on dealing with Sideshow and how they're making him/her send the item back to Sideshow rather than just destroying it. I'm confused.

alter ego refers you to Sideshow's customer service and then you have to deal with them. not really a beef, just more confused as to why Sideshow even wants something back that's broken.
and as for the possibility of repairing the thing and reselling it, not a chance- I use a sledge hammer on a any pieces I destroy.
it would be easier to do a completelely new sculpt I think then try to piece it back together after I'm done with it.

jye318
12-23-2010, 10:17 PM
I am pissed, just sent 3 big box back to ss today, I feel so annoy to work for ss!!

Sledge Hammer!
12-24-2010, 03:16 AM
I'm still waiting on word back about my broken Conan: The Prize dio, which I assume I'll have to destroy...

Been well over a week now too, and now with Christmas hitting I guess I can expect another week or so with no response.

The annoying thing is, when I contacted them they still had this piece in stock, five or six days after contacting them it sold out, so my chances of getting a replacement seem pretty darn slim now unfortunately. And this was my number one most wanted piece this year too...

NosferatuOMeGa
12-24-2010, 11:27 AM
It's closer to send an item from California to Toronto than to Maine.
So makes sense to ask them back.

You forget about customs.

derekrodneysim
12-25-2010, 07:12 AM
So who bears the shipping costs?

Damaged item gets borne by SS. Normal returns is chargeable to the customer. Correct?

Wookiee_man
12-25-2010, 12:58 PM
May also just be a matter of SS wanting to ensure flawed pieces don't get put back into the market. Someone could say they destroyed the original then go and sell it on EBay. They may also want to ensure that the original piece was infact flawed. I could say the lights don't work then get another for free and have 2 perfectly good replicas.

Darth Madden
12-25-2010, 02:24 PM
May also just be a matter of SS wanting to ensure flawed pieces don't get put back into the market. Someone could say they destroyed the original then go and sell it on EBay. They may also want to ensure that the original piece was infact flawed. I could say the lights don't work then get another for free and have 2 perfectly good replicas.

But you have to send them pictures of the carnage. I guess you could save parts of them but probably not the entire thing.

World Warrior
12-25-2010, 03:44 PM
I had to send the broken Guile Excl in stead of "Finishing Him" off :p

sackboy
12-27-2010, 03:19 AM
I had to send the broken Guile Excl in stead of "Finishing Him" off :p

i had to keep the broken guile excl instead of getting a replacement....T__T
because i bought it from ebay

Tesio
12-27-2010, 09:12 AM
anyhow, I recently picked up a Jedi Luke PF from Alter Ego Comics and it arrived fine except for the fact the light up feature in the lightsaber won't work.
arranged for a replacement piece to be sent with no hitches.

anyway, even through I'm an international customer in Canada, Sideshow's customer service is completely disinterested in me just taking a hammer to the piece I've already got and really wants me to return it.

is this the start of some new trend for Sideshow or am I just lucky to granted such special treatment to have go through all the pain and hassle with customs and shipping?
anyone else run into this so far where they don't want you just breaking it?

Out of curiosity, when did you contact them about this issue? I sent them an e-mail regarding an issue almost 2 weeks ago and have yet to hear back.

Graven Gorasd
12-27-2010, 03:41 PM
i recieved a statue with a broken piece and there is no way in !%#! I'm returning the whole thing just for that. They can send out just the peice.

ratchet
12-27-2010, 03:48 PM
SS must have run into some real issues with the "destroy" policy for them to change it... has anyone heard of any issues?

michaelgloch
12-27-2010, 05:12 PM
Out of curiosity, when did you contact them about this issue? I sent them an e-mail regarding an issue almost 2 weeks ago and have yet to hear back.

about a week and a half ago I'd say, two weeks at most, can't say for sure. you sure you got the email right? they've always been fairly prompt for me. :confused:

quadcent
12-27-2010, 05:12 PM

they will look after you, i've had on more than one occasion received damaged items from ebay sellers and then turned around and ask ssc if they had a certain piece to repair/fix the damaged statue and if they have it all i've had to do is pay for the shipping of replacement piece.

one example was i got the HB samaritan replica from a seller and when i got it the locking lever for the gun cocking was broken, well of course the seller had no idea. :thumbsdow so i contacted ssc and they had a replacement gun for me and all i had to pay was the $35 shipping for it.
it all worked out in the end as the sell payed me for the shipping of the replacement.

quadcent
12-27-2010, 05:14 PM
SS must have run into some real issues with the "destroy" policy for them to change it... has anyone heard of any issues?

not here as of late, but i do have to contact them inregards to the last two items i got from them.
the Spidey Com and of course the IM Maq, i'll see what they want me to do.

Tesio
12-27-2010, 05:16 PM
about a week and a half ago I'd say, two weeks at most, can't say for sure. you sure you got the email right? they've always been fairly prompt for me. :confused:

I used this e-mail returns@sideshowcollectibles.com ...it was the one on their help section :confused:

Tony Coca
12-27-2010, 05:16 PM
that sucks. im gonna miss smashing the damaged statue on the floor and watch it go into a million pieces.