PDA

View Full Version : Who's "The Cook" in your home?

protector2814
02-02-2011, 07:00 PM
I've been married almost 13 years and I can probably count on 2 hands how many dinners my wife's cooked. I'm not complaining as I love to cook (free therapy) and my Wife gets home after me and the kids. I also am the 1st up on weekends, so I also cook the Sat & Sunday breakfasts.

Most of my guy friends also are the primary cooks in their homes too.

For me, cooking is time spent alone, away from the chaos a normal day can often bring. I listen to the news or music on the radio, might have a glass of wine, or a martini, make something I read in that week's food section or from an old cookbook I picked up on ebay or a 2nd hand shop, just unwind.

I like planning our meals a few nights ahead, gathering the ingredients, having neighbors over when I make a chile, soup or stew....the whole nine yards.

How 'bout you all. Are you the Kings or Queens of your kitchens? or do you just show up w/ a spoon?

cblakey1
02-02-2011, 07:06 PM
I'm the chef. Having spent many years as a short order and line cook it was a no brainer who'd cook in our home.

'Course we've been married almost 16 years and within the 3 last years my wife's converted to being a pescetarian so it has been a very lonely kitchen. :bawling:

'Course my wife will say she's the "baker" in the family. :rolleyes:

risingstar
02-02-2011, 07:36 PM
As I work out of the home, I'm generally the last and the first to see the babies every day. However, this also means I'm pretty much in charge of the cooking and most other household duties. While I'm not particularly crazy about the extra load, I willingly do it as it means that by the end of the day, my partner and I get to spend more time together, and with the munchkins.

:)

Babytoxie
02-02-2011, 10:31 PM
My wife is the main cook because she's very particular about what she'll eat. I find it easier to let her do her thing knowing that she'll like it, rather than me surprise her and have her not want any. I have planned out meals where she was happy to let me work in the kitchen, but they are infrequent (this Valentine's Day is one of them - chicken mole!).

Also, she's home with the kid during the day, and she likes to eat dinner early, so by the time I get home, she usually has something in the works.

But where the grill is concerned, she lets me do my thing.

ansel39
02-02-2011, 10:34 PM
I am the chef at my house! My wife has cooked for me twice in the last 12 years!

ratchet
02-02-2011, 10:44 PM
My wife and I take turns - usually I make dinner 2 to 3 times during the week - my wife takes the other days...

joefixit2
02-02-2011, 11:29 PM
It's a good mix between me and my wife. When I was in high school, I was a prep cool at a couple restaurants so I enjoy doing it.

Nidgit
02-09-2011, 08:02 PM
I do most of the cooking at home. Both of my parents love to cook and are pretty adventurous in the kitchen (leave it alone), so that carried over to me. I cook am mean roast dinner (roast pork is one of my specialties) and a Japanese steamboat is another fave (but usually do that on special occassions as it takes a full day to prepare). The weather is pretty warm here at the moment so have been doing alot of summery dishes. Just tried out a grilled houlmi, watermelon and balsamic glaze dish which is great, along with a baby spinach, roast pumpkin and fetta salad.

Jesse321
02-10-2011, 10:59 AM
Eric is the cook at our house, I despise the kitchen (unless I'm tearing it down and remodeling it), I don't mind grilling and Eric hates that ... but I'm the dishwasher/clean up crew though.

Sinatra VonDoom
02-10-2011, 11:11 AM
I don't cook. If she doesn't feel like cooking I will order out for us. If I'm home alone I don't even like to cook for myself, that's why they have restaurants.

Collection King 13
02-10-2011, 11:13 AM
My wife handles most of the dinner cooking... I rarely cook dinner... Breakfast on the other hand I like to cook!

Argonus
02-10-2011, 11:32 AM
I'm usually the cook in all of my relationships, let alone my marriage.

My significant others sometime cook, but ... I rock in the kitchen! :buttrock:

Favorites to cook are breakfast, salads, and bbq. :D

bat_collector
02-10-2011, 09:13 PM
I love cooking, jeff is really no good at it.