PDA

View Full Version : Yo fellas... Aves or Magicsculpt

Kdawg59
06-30-2005, 02:49 PM
which do you prefer and why?

I have a castilene head I am about to take into resin and then attach/fill/etc... to a sculpey piece. Wondering which is the preferred material to sculpt and fill?

Much thanks!

Keith

RickDTM
06-30-2005, 04:30 PM
I think most of us prefer Aves Apoxie Sculpt for seaming. I also like the Apoxie Clay (it's a little less sticky). I used to use Magic Sculpt exclusively, but I'm an Aves afficionado now.

Kdawg59
06-30-2005, 04:45 PM
got a site besides sculpt.com Ricker???

RickDTM
06-30-2005, 09:09 PM
Here ya go Dawg! Enjoy...it's great stuff!

Aves Studio (http://www.avesstudio.com/Products/products.html)

Kdawg59
07-01-2005, 12:22 AM
booful Rick!!! Thanks... you will all see what I am talking about soon!!!

mystique
07-12-2005, 07:36 AM
Does anyone use Milliput? That's my 'filler' on resin kits. It blends out seamlessly.

rob
07-12-2005, 10:47 PM
I have to agree. I am a professional restorer and have used everything. Avies is by far and away the best. Museums use this stuff, too.

DanPerezStudios
07-13-2005, 12:27 AM
So Rick, what influenced you to switch from MS to AS?

RickDTM
07-13-2005, 07:56 AM
I received some samples of the Aves at Wonderfest last year, and was asked to try it out on one of my article kits. I reluctantly did so, but once I got the hang of the consistency, I found I liked it much better than the MS. I've also discovered their Apoxie Clay has the same consistency as the MS for the most part, enabling you to dive in w/ the detail. The Apoxie Sculpt seems to be a little more on the order of chewing gum when first mixed. The Aves Safety Solvent is another reason I switched. I've found you can fair the edges better to the point where I might not need to do any sanding. Brushing this on may be akin to using the SSculpey dilutant as it seems to "melt" the Aves enabling you to get super fine edges. Another one of their great products is the Apoxie Paste. Think of this as really thick 2 part epoxy. It's a glue and a filler all in one. It reacts well to the Safety Solvent and stays where you put it. No more runny epoxy! I've used it on many a piece and love it.

Couple that w/ their claim to be 100% non-toxic, and it was a done deal.

DanPerezStudios
07-13-2005, 04:22 PM
Huh. When I use the huge container of MS I've got I will have to try the Aves out.

Car50n
07-14-2005, 06:32 PM
Aves is the shizznite!