PDA

View Full Version : Offering APs for sale.

OuttaSight
08-29-2011, 08:43 PM
Im just curious on your thoughts on manufacturers offering AP's for sale to the public.

I notice ARH and Clay do it. Who else does it ?

I was thinking of offering a limited number, say 5 of each statue, for sale through my site.

Obviously they would be priced higher than the numbered versions and I would try to figure out something special to throw in.

Collection King 13
08-29-2011, 08:49 PM
Bowen does it... But threw "Rocky's Vault" at a very very very high price...

madmanny
08-29-2011, 08:50 PM
i would be very interested, i think you will find the demand will be very high

Collection King 13
08-29-2011, 08:52 PM
Personally I don't think you should. I think since you offer exclusive and a regular run on most pieces that is more than enough.

firefly76
08-29-2011, 08:52 PM
That would be cool, I would be interested in that if it became a option. As long as you have a plan when it comes to getting boxes and foam to the buyers. one of the issues most are having

OuttaSight
08-29-2011, 08:58 PM
That would be cool, I would be interested in that if it became a option. As long as you have a plan when it comes to getting boxes and foam to the buyers. one of the issues most are having

Please elaborate on that....not sure what you are saying.

madmanny
08-29-2011, 09:03 PM
He is talking about, An ARH issue i think

firefly76
08-29-2011, 09:07 PM
Some ARH buyer in the past didnt get the boxes for the statue they purchased and it was a issue mention by the AP buyers. So just saying to make this work without any problems thats was something to be aware of.

But even if you didn't offer those color box .....I am completely in

I am not knocking ARH in any way, because i am purchasing Angel of Death AP from his company

FROBAY
08-29-2011, 09:13 PM
Yes, but maybe you should do 30 ap pieces.

Signature on the base is always cool.

FROBAY
08-29-2011, 09:16 PM

It shouldnt have been an issue since Arahom told everyone up front that he hand makes his ap's and the boxes com from china later. It was no secret.

OuttaSight
08-29-2011, 09:16 PM
Yes, but maybe you should do 30 ap pieces.

Oh gosh I would never do that many. If I did it Id want them to be special so 5 seems about right.

What kind of price premium is normal ? What could be included to make them more special ?

Signed based ? Special certificate ?

firefly76
08-29-2011, 09:23 PM
Oh gosh I would never do that many. If I did it Id want them to be special so 5 seems about right.

What kind of price premium is normal ? What could be included to make them more special ?

Signed based ? Special certificate ?

10 jerry plz, 5 is like playing the lottery

1. If it comes with 2 heads....AP gets 3

2. different color clothing like the bison AP

3. Colored base, will make it stand out

Ask Akumalove she be having some smokin idea's......Signing it is old new that's a given for AP's

crazy_legs03
08-29-2011, 09:28 PM
Personally I don't think you should. I think since you offer exclusive and a regular run on most pieces that is more than enough.

I concur.
Creating AP's will saturate and create a divide in the market.

On the other hand, if you offer signatures on bases as a added cost then maybe that might work for you and make it slightly more limited?!?!

FROBAY
08-29-2011, 09:35 PM
10 pieces please.

600.00 each

Signed base

Something painted by you, like chango head or hands.

Just an idea.

AstroWho
08-29-2011, 09:36 PM
I don't think it's a good idea.
I have a few Artist Proofs from a few different companies.
When I compared them to the Released product, I've never really even noticed any differences at all?
Just that the Base says Artist Proof.
But being a Completist, I always felt the need to buy the Artist Proofs and Every other Variant of the Same Statue.
Personally, I always thought when companies released Artist Proofs for sale, it was just another way to milk the Buyer.
If the Artist Proofs had a Major Difference to the Released Product, I'd be all for it then!
That's just my take.

Spartacus
08-29-2011, 09:38 PM
10 pieces please.

600.00 each

Signed base

Just an idea.

wooo..bro..relax on the $600!!!:laugh:
Jerry, you maker more due to you selling at RRP, but adding maybe $50 -$100 extra would be ok too!
And adding something extra that you only get via the AP would be very cool!...extra head, hand, clothing, variant colour ....just a few suggestions!

firefly76
08-29-2011, 09:39 PM
10 pieces please.

600.00 each

Signed base

Just an idea.

:goodpost:

I agree....I couldn't think of anything so i may have put some crazy stuff in my post

most wouldn't want to drop $600.00 on this probably so you might have a better chance to score one

marvelboi77
08-29-2011, 09:39 PM
Sure why not.. I would not want to pay a big premium for them since it's the same statue just without a number. Maybe 10% to 15% more but not double. Now if it had something different other then a signature then I could understand the price increase of $100 or $200 more.

Sskaaar
08-29-2011, 09:40 PM

+1

Quest99
08-29-2011, 09:43 PM
How would one get an AP from you since it is ultra limited?

First come first served? If so......SHOTGUN! :)

FROBAY
08-29-2011, 09:46 PM
:goodpost:

I agree....I couldn't think of anything so i may have put some crazy stuff in my post

most wouldn't want to drop $600.00 on this probably so you might have a better chance to score one

If its not at least 600.00 then it would be unabtainable because every one could get it. It should me more expensive if its a special piece.

FROBAY
08-29-2011, 09:49 PM
Im glad there isnt too many of these out there, i would say its worth well over 600.00, thats my point

http://i740.photobucket.com/albums/xx42/FROBAY/stuff/AW1.jpg

http://i740.photobucket.com/albums/xx42/FROBAY/stuff/A1-1.jpg

firefly76
08-29-2011, 09:51 PM
If its not at least 600.00 then it would be unabtainable because every one could get it. It should me more expensive if its a special piece.

o yea i agree with you on the $600 or a lil bit higher price Fro. I don't want if everyone can get it, but i don't want to pay too much.

antnie
08-29-2011, 09:52 PM
I feel mixed on the topic. I think that an AP is great for the super PCS addicts, and I think 5 is a good number. But if you start doing AP statues, that means you will have 4 versions of lets say Chun Li, which are all basically the same. Since it is only 5 and not 20-25, I think it is fine to do it.

Jack Burton
Jerry, I'll take an artist proof Shin Akuma. :wink2:

Hey, it doesn't hurt to try. (I'd take a regular too)

So I got dibs, right?:laugh:

Spartacus

Bro, price does not determine weather the AP is special or not!... its the extra or difference in what comes with the statue from the regular release, being as simple as a signature, certificate, colour, right through to extra items, switch out parts etc!

wvg9250
08-29-2011, 09:53 PM
wooo..bro..relax on the $600!!!:laugh:
Jerry, you maker more due to you selling at RRP, but adding maybe $50 -$100 extra would be ok too!
And adding something extra that you only get via the AP would be very cool!...extra head, hand, clothing, variant colour ....just a few suggestions!

Now thats what I am talking about!!! :goodpost:

firefly76
08-29-2011, 09:53 PM
Im glad there isnt too many of these out there, i would say its worth well over 600.00, thats my point

http://i740.photobucket.com/albums/xx42/FROBAY/stuff/AW1.jpg

http://i740.photobucket.com/albums/xx42/FROBAY/stuff/A1-1.jpg

Sell me that now.....lol.....no seriously frobay

OuttaSight
08-29-2011, 09:54 PM
I was thinking 100% more expensive than the numbered versions but I would also want to add something of extra value to justify it.

However, I cant make them variant colors or anything like that...

I was thinking about having my painter go in and repaint certain areas with more detail than the production versions would have. bring them closer to being a prototype.

wvg9250
08-29-2011, 09:56 PM
Sell me that now.....lol.....no seriously frobay
Nah bro he cant! I am first on the list :D

firefly76
08-29-2011, 09:58 PM
Nah bro he cant! I am first on the list :D

Paper,Rock,Scissors.... bruh:inquisiti

Andrew
08-29-2011, 09:58 PM
This topic overall seems dangerous and obviously there will be many opinions on the idea.

Overall I think 5 AP's is a good amount if you're intentionally looking to sell them along side the numbered runs. However, I think the differences in the AP should be very subtle, otherwise you're just making a new variant instead of something that is 'special'. A signed base and unique COA seems reasonable alongside the slightly higher price tag.

No disrespect to anyone, but doubling the price tag, changing color variants, adding different change of heads, hands, or switch out accessories in general just seems excessive and impractical overall. Not to mention, it would really just create a different variant rather than a special edition of the numbered piece.

OuttaSight
08-29-2011, 09:59 PM
I feel mixed on the topic. I think that an AP is great for the super PCS addicts, and I think 5 is a good number. But if you start doing AP statues, that means you will have 4 versions of lets say Chun Li, which are all basically the same. Since it is only 5 and not 20-25, I think it is fine to do it.

You cant really look at an AP as being another version.
Then you would have to consider the prototype as a version and all the samples from the factory as versions.

If you looked at it that way there are already 10 different versions of everything ;)

FROBAY
08-29-2011, 09:59 PM
Bro, price does not determine weather the AP is special or not!... its the extra or difference in what comes with the statue from the regular release, being as simple as a signature, certificate, colour, right through to extra items, switch out parts etc!

I never meant to imply price makes an ap special. My point was if there is going to be only 5 and its signed by jerry, right there its worth double in my books, exspecially if its a character you really want and their is 5 in existance.

antnie
08-29-2011, 10:01 PM
You cant really look at an AP as being another version.
Then you would have to consider the prototype as a version and all the samples from the factory as versions.

If you looked at it that way there are already 10 different versions of everything ;)

But are the prototypes and samples being sold?

OuttaSight
08-29-2011, 10:03 PM
But are the prototypes and samples being sold?

Sometimes.

antnie
08-29-2011, 10:04 PM
Sometimes.

Through your site?

firefly76
08-29-2011, 10:04 PM
This topic overall seems dangerous and obviously there will be many opinions on the idea.

Overall I think 5 AP's is a good amount if you're intentionally looking to sell them along side the numbered runs. However, I think the differences in the AP should be very subtle, otherwise you're just making a new variant instead of something that is 'special'. A signed base and unique COA seems reasonable alongside the slightly higher price tag.

No disrespect to anyone, but doubling the price tag, changing color variants, adding different change of heads, hands, or switch out accessories in general just seems excessive and impractical overall. Not to mention, it would really just create a different variant rather than a special edition of the numbered piece.

I understand what your saying but all the AP already come signed if you request it and they all have COA's......So how would that be special....on the other hand.... example Scorpion everyone complained and Jerry added a new head, so why not add something to the AP other than a better paint job?

FROBAY
08-29-2011, 10:05 PM
Whatever you charge and whatever it is, there will be 5 people to buy it.

Like the white Bison and others youve had.

Andrew
08-29-2011, 10:11 PM
I was thinking about having my painter go in and repaint certain areas with more detail than the production versions would have. bring them closer to being a prototype.

Hmmm, this I'm not sure about. My immediate gut reaction is, i have to pay double for the statue to look the way it was intended to look in the first place?

That may not be the case, but that's how I read it.

I understand that a mass produced statue may not look like the prototype, but going back and adding shading and other fine details should and could be done by the factory from the outset even if the price had to be increased from the beginning. I want the same details that everyone else is getting without having to pay 100% more to get it.

sdbuzzcut
08-29-2011, 10:15 PM
Im just curious on your thoughts on manufacturers offering AP's for sale to the public.

I was thinking of offering a limited number, say 5 of each statue, for sale through my site.

Obviously they would be priced higher than the numbered versions and I would try to figure out something special to throw in.

Artist Proof used to mean something. Statues/giclee reproductions were sent to the sculptor/artist for final approval so they were a little more meticulously made and actually handled by the sculptor/artist.

That was then...

Now, Bowen makes extra statues to account for breakage/bad paint/etc replacements. Whatever isn't used for replacements is then sold as AP at inflated prices.

Now, Moore uses AP as a rationale for offering another 500 statues of 5 year old limited edition statue (ie Magdalena, Aphrodite IX).

If you kept them extremely limited and advertised the complete run numbers (regular, exclusive and AP) during the original offering, I don't see a problem, especially if you hand select some of the best paint applications. That way, they'd be more like true Artist Proofs.

kirthew
08-29-2011, 10:40 PM
I think you are walking a fine line with this one. If you add a little extra detail, then you are going to have people clamoring for it and trying to get it. Then you will have people -----ing and complaining that some flipper got one if it is sold on ebay for $50.00 more. Just a very very fine line.

A2G
08-30-2011, 01:32 AM
Hmmm, this I'm not sure about. My immediate gut reaction is, i have to pay double for the statue to look the way it was intended to look in the first place?

That may not be the case, but that's how I read it.

I understand that a mass produced statue may not look like the prototype, but going back and adding shading and other fine details should and could be done by the factory from the outset even if the price had to be increased from the beginning. I want the same details that everyone else is getting without having to pay 100% more to get it.

Do you realize how much more valuable an A/P statue will be if it is repainted to look perfect?

How many other companies have AP statues that are any different than the rest? If the creators repaint some areas or all, it would make it much more valuable and unique.

This is a great idea, but limited at 5. It is like throwing 1 bone at 20 very hungry dogs....someones gonna get hurt lol

equi-nox76
08-30-2011, 03:16 AM
Have mxd feelings as well, when AP's start having different pieces like change-o-hands or heads it's again a different version. Would not like to see that.

Even for the 2 Bison prototypes I had mixed feelings, but at least those were 1 of a kind.

AP's for a higher price directly from the PCS site is a good idea, but they don't have to come with an extra.
Alone the fact that it's an AP is enough. You can sign it maybe.

I was thinking 100% more expensive than the numbered versions but I would also want to add something of extra value to justify it.

However, I cant make them variant colors or anything like that...

That is absolutely fair and a nice extra, just don't make it to obvious.

Mannequin
08-30-2011, 03:30 AM
Guys be careful.. the last AP Guile Regular sold under Retail and the Last Guile Exclusive AP sold under SRP too

akumalove
08-30-2011, 03:38 AM
Ask Akumalove she be having some smokin idea's......Signing it is old new that's a given for AP'sSorry to disappoint you, but for me it's fine when it just says AP without any extras ;)
Christina

firefly76
08-30-2011, 05:55 AM
Not disappointed at all.... He asked for ideas other than signing it to make it special.

TheSFToySpirit
08-30-2011, 06:24 AM
I like how it is now, the thing that AP's are given only to people who were in the manufacturing processus make them special. If they are directly for sale through the PCSC site I find that they lose a part of their charm...

On the other side, if there are only 5 copies and if they have significant differences with the regular run, it could be a good idea but it's almost an other new version...

I could be in, but only if there are a new removable head/hands/clothes or why not any accessories or light effects too. If there is only a better paint or a signature, I prefer how it is now.

Through your site?
Generally through the bay ;)

ambasah
08-30-2011, 08:39 AM
DON'T make it an extra accessory or change of head etc. That would be a true varient and piss off a lot of us who couldn't score one with only 5 being made.

I really like the idea of a "more detailed" paint job and maybe a sketch on the underside of the base? $600 would be a fair price for something like that, especially with only 5 being produced.

OuttaSight
08-30-2011, 11:33 AM
Lots of good thoughts in this thread.

FROBAY
08-30-2011, 11:41 AM
Sorry to disappoint you, but for me it's fine when it just says AP without any extras ;)
Christina

Im with you, a sig wouldnt hurt though.

MinMay
08-30-2011, 11:58 AM
everyone wants one and releasing 5 only will make a lot of your fans very unhappy.

unless you put it on eBay...then let them fight over it LOL.

release one statue per week...and whoever wants it..then they'll pay for it.

just selling 5 on your site is going to make a lot of angry fans... "it's not fair, blah blah blah".

FROBAY
08-30-2011, 01:05 PM
do a lottery deal with payment due within 24hrs upon drawing the name or another name is drawn.

It would be the fairest way.

Leckske
08-30-2011, 01:23 PM
If you're only going to sell 5 of them (which is fine by me), you are going to receive A LOT of requests by the fans.

If I were you, I would put them on ebay. One by one. clearly stating which one of the 5 you're selling. This way you'll get probably more money and everybody can follow the auction.

I believe most die hard fans would rather pay a few extra bucks, then hoping they'd win the random lottery.

MTT
08-30-2011, 01:45 PM
I would also love to get one AP and especially from Kabuki.

However 5 is so small amount that I can most probaply forget the idea so if those are manufactured in order to sell them, not just a sample from the edition, I would propose to increase the number maybe up to 25 or so.

FROBAY
08-30-2011, 01:59 PM
Ebay is not cool, these should be thru your site and not a Ebay screw.

If its just about the money then Ebay it. Alot people cant afford 3k for a statue. Lottery seems more fair to give the average working collector a shot at it.

Vince-Vell
08-30-2011, 02:14 PM
you could do a fun contest on your web site, like hide easter eggs that while visiting the site you click a empty spot and it opens up a page that says you won and gives a code to order in.

I know there is prob flaws with this idea, but could have more traffic to your web site in the future for sales.

Then there is also randomly throw in a gold ticket into your products for a purchase of a AP thru the site. This way people can use the gold ticket to purchase the item or sell off the gold ticket to someone else to get a AP.

Another option is getting a code or doing a lotto at conventions.

samhain81
08-30-2011, 02:17 PM
Artist Proofs?

What is that , like if the artist dies or something, you can say 'here they signed this one, so its legit'

toe
08-30-2011, 03:33 PM

Hard Hero does it to, but they dont sell just 5 or 10. Thats crazy.

lemonman6
08-30-2011, 04:03 PM
So there would be 5 of the regular and exclusive pieces? I really think APs are a good idea, Jerry. A lottery system would work if they are going to be ultra limited. Once a person wins, they will have 3 days to pay.

Of course, Akuma, Ryu and the other expensive pieces will probably be almost impossible to win, but at least everyone gets a fair chance.

galactus
08-30-2011, 04:23 PM
10 pieces please.

600.00 each

Signed base

Just an idea.

Ebay is not cool, these should be thru your site and not a Ebay screw.

If its just about the money then Ebay it. Alot people cant afford 3k for a statue. Lottery seems more fair to give the average working collector a shot at it.

Don't get greedy, just double the retail price so the average working schmoe can have a chance :rolleyes2

galactus
08-30-2011, 04:27 PM
Why not just offer the A/P for sale at whatever price you want, and whomever wants to order it can order it, open ended edition?

Are you making this for the fans? (in which case 5 isn't enough)

Are you making it to make money for yourself? (in which case you could sell many more than 5 it seems)

Are you making this so a few lucky folks can get it (to either keep or flip) and to aggravate other fans who may quit collecting your line because of stuff like this (5 should be fine again)

Gentle Giant's Star Wars line went to crap when they started pulling stuff like this. Bowen made some stuff so limited that people stopped collecting his stuff because they couldn't be completists anymore.

Personally, I think you're opening a can of worms by thinking about doing this.

FROBAY
08-30-2011, 06:19 PM
Why not just offer the A/P for sale at whatever price you want, and whomever wants to order it can order it, open ended edition?

Are you making this for the fans? (in which case 5 isn't enough)

Are you making it to make money for yourself? (in which case you could sell many more than 5 it seems)

Are you making this so a few lucky folks can get it (to either keep or flip) and to aggravate other fans who may quit collecting your line because of stuff like this (5 should be fine again)

Gentle Giant's Star Wars line went to crap when they started pulling stuff like this. Bowen made some stuff so limited that people stopped collecting his stuff because they couldn't be completists anymore.

I still say lottery would be the fairest way.

lemonman6
08-30-2011, 07:59 PM
I say you make 5 pieces for the website, and 2 to stick on eBay, Jerry. That would probably make most people happy.

A2G
08-30-2011, 08:03 PM
I say you make 5 pieces for the website, and 2 to stick on eBay, Jerry. That would probably make most people happy.

Bidding war for 2, while 5 people pay fixed price? Or do you mean 2 on eBay with BIN and same price.

A2G
08-30-2011, 08:05 PM

Anything extremely limited, that a few can obtain, will create drama among all PCS collectors who missed out or could not afford at time of availability, IMO. It is natural.

OuttaSight
08-30-2011, 08:11 PM
I dont really understand the perspective that APs are a 'new' version of a statue. Every statue has APs. Its nothing new.

MinMay
08-30-2011, 08:50 PM
I don't agree with lottery...why?

Why do I feel that Jerry's big fans of AP that he knows will all get one under the star? :) And then people will start questioning why Akumalove, etc gets one :)

I say..eBay it...it's fair...equal opportunity for everyone.

Maybe lottery 1 of the lucky winner for a fair price....and Ebay the rest.

snawly
08-30-2011, 09:18 PM
I think there's nothing wrong with offering APs through your site but if they have anything unique, it should not be offering special accessories or paint apps or else people might just wait for those instead of ordering it when the pre-order is available which in the long run might hurt sales.

fderado
08-31-2011, 01:08 AM
I dont really understand the perspective that APs are a 'new' version of a statue. Every statue has APs. Its nothing new.

What is the motive behind creating the AP's?

I would suggest you go the route of CSMstudios e.g. Aphrodite IX and Magdalena and just tweak it some so it looks a little different from the original release and sell around 100-200 or so that way those who missed out can get another chance at owning it.
Just my 2 cents in....

akumalove
08-31-2011, 03:05 AM
Of course, Akuma, Ryu and the other expensive pieces will probably be almost impossible to win, but at least everyone gets a fair chance.The AP idea is just for new releases.

If it gets other colors or extra parts it would be a new version for me. If it just says AP with or without signature that is fine to me. But you already wrote it won't get another color or switch out things, so it's all good :)

Why do I feel that Jerry's big fans of AP that he knows will all get one under the star? :) And then people will start questioning why Akumalove, etc gets one :)

Just to let you know: I am against a lottery too ;)
Doubt that Jerry is a fan of this idea, but IF he would not treat people different.

Christina

Freon
08-31-2011, 04:04 AM
No thanks, I'd rather have a number on the bottom of the statue. I hate AP's and I hate the idea. :thumbsdow:rant::soapb:

Ryu
08-31-2011, 04:29 AM
Jumping the shark, bud.

TheSFToySpirit
08-31-2011, 04:30 AM
I like the idea to put them on eBay for a bidding war, it seems to be the fairest way, the only problem is that people who have limited means (like students like me :inquisiti) will be out of the game quickly...

But even with that problem I have the feeling that people will be less angry to lose a bidding war than a lottery...

The idea of the gold ticket in statues box is cool too!..

samhain81
08-31-2011, 07:03 AM
What is the motive behind creating the AP's?

I would suggest you go the route of CSMstudios e.g. Aphrodite IX and Magdalena and just tweak it some so it looks a little different from the original release and sell around 100-200 or so that way those who missed out can get another chance at owning it.
Just my 2 cents in....

Really? You really think a sculptor would do that and not exploit the 'one of a kind' aspect and charge more than the original?

If tweaks are made to the buyers desire, then of course, a little price increase in justifiable, but I'm intrigued as to what PCS means by 'something extra to throw in'

Personally Jerry, if your to offer AP's for sale, you should go the route of other companies such as ARH, and give the buyer a little bit of creative freedom over the peice that they are essentially paying extra for, i.e/ paint colour changes etc, and let them have a little say on what 'extra' to have. Not just throw in something extra that you think is acceptable, to justify a higher price. Just my 2 cents.

FROBAY
08-31-2011, 07:23 AM
I don't agree with lottery...why?

I say..eBay it...it's fair...equal opportunity for everyone.

Maybe lottery 1 of the lucky winner for a fair price....and Ebay the rest.

Screw Ebay

samhain81
08-31-2011, 08:20 AM
Screw Ebay

whys that now?

I think ebay is as fair as they come. People bid what they can afford. End of Story. Not everyone farts gold dust Frobay.

ambasah
08-31-2011, 09:04 AM
ebay would be the fairest way to sell these in my opinion. let the market decide.

OuttaSight
08-31-2011, 11:19 AM
Personally Jerry, if your to offer AP's for sale, you should go the route of other companies such as ARH, and give the buyer a little bit of creative freedom over the peice that they are essentially paying extra for, i.e/ paint colour changes etc, and let them have a little say on what 'extra' to have. Not just throw in something extra that you think is acceptable, to justify a higher price. Just my 2 cents.

Can you go into more detail on what ARH does. Im not up to date.

FROBAY
08-31-2011, 11:28 AM
Can you go into more detail on what ARH does. Im not up to date.

ARAHOM (arh) makes between typically 25-30 AP's, depending on the statue. He changes the paint on some, for example Thors cape..If you ordered a AP you can have a gold version cape or standard red. He signs the bases and makes sure you get everything the EX has too. Unfortunatly he will do no more Ap's himself, they will be from China, so the future AP's will be different from the regs & exclusives but you will get no choices in color.

BASICALLY its his website exclusive and is about a 30 piece run.

madmanny
08-31-2011, 02:43 PM
I dnt consider the arh aps to be aps really, just website exclusives

BigLeagueChu
08-31-2011, 03:29 PM

+1 Not a fan of all these variants. Reg and Ex works great and already not wanting to buy both for every character. Comics also went downhill when they were doing multiple covers, gold cover, silver cover, gold foil embossed cover, etc, etc, etc.

Ryu
08-31-2011, 03:38 PM
+1 Not a fan of all these variants. Reg and Ex works great and already not wanting to buy both for every character. Comics also went downhill when they were doing multiple covers, gold cover, silver cover, gold foil embossed cover, etc, etc, etc.

Yeah, a gimmick a lot seem to use. Good thing I'm not a completist, otherwise I'd want the green, blue, and black Porsche.

darren1228
08-31-2011, 05:25 PM
I don't think you should do it Jerry. You will be going through a lot of trouble to sell 5 APs. Charging extra for a better paint job/shading sounds like a recipe for a lot of unhappy customers. I'm sure there are more than 5 customers out there willing to pay extra to have a better paint job and if they aren't able to get one they may get fed up and stop collecting the line.

If you do decide to do it then I agree with the putting it on ebay. Whoever will have to win it fairly and not go through a lottery or another system that will be heavily criticized. My two cents.

Ricky Bobby
08-31-2011, 06:00 PM
Ebay it,its very fair,if you cant afford the ebay prices,buy a regular or an ex through the company

kirthew
08-31-2011, 06:17 PM
I think if you are looking for a bigger piece of the pie, you should do a Website Exclusive AP - Limit it to 75, and do a color change or a special head sculpt or something.

I think limiting to yourself to 5 just seems like it is going to piss off a lot of people.

Darth Vader
08-31-2011, 06:49 PM
Real APs are not supposed to be sold... That's the whole point ! That's why people want them. I really think it is a bad idea to sell them, why not just make an extra limited run with better paintjob if you want extra $$$$

fderado
08-31-2011, 07:39 PM
Really? You really think a sculptor would do that and not exploit the 'one of a kind' aspect and charge more than the original? .

Really? I don't think I ever said he couldn't charge more...did I?

There is a reason why I asked what the motive was for creating their 'AP".
I assumed it was making money...please correct me if I am wrong...

IMHO-Wouldn't he make more if he sold 100-200 pieces or so even at the original price?...and at the same time give those that missed out a chance of finally owning one... albeit it be a slightly tweaked one..
rather than creating and exploiting the 'one of a kind' aspect of this statue and only sell 5 of them even if he triples the price of the regular.

TheSFToySpirit
08-31-2011, 08:08 PM
I agree with people who think that it would be a better idea to directly create a third version, a website exclusive, limited to let say 50 copies with an extra head or anything else and keep AP's like they are now...

The only issue that I see if each statues has 3 versions is that I run to the bankrupt lol

OuttaSight
08-31-2011, 08:41 PM
I think some of you are missing the point.

The APs already exist and many already make it out to the market.

The question was, should I officially sell some, and if so, should I do something to make them a little more special.

BigLeagueChu
08-31-2011, 08:53 PM
...should I officially sell some...

Like said in another post, my understanding of APs was that they WERE NOT available for sale, and therefore NOT OFFICIAL. Ok, maybe one gets up on ebay, but the rest are through some "connection" or contest prize or something. Thus, us "typical" collectors don't really have to think too much about these, especially if we are completists. They are just so rare and most who have them will not "flip" them, so it becomes something you hardly see. However, with the SFII line, APs seem to be everywhere...I think at some point, collectors might give up altogether if you go this route and have an AP for EVERY character. It will get old to those that don't really want to chase these down. Just my 0.02

BigLeagueChu
08-31-2011, 08:57 PM
Yeah, a gimmick a lot seem to use. Good thing I'm not a completist, otherwise I'd want the green, blue, and black Porsche.

Who buys a green Porsche? Gotta have a Lambo to pull that off LOL :battherapy: Ok maybe a GT3RS would work :laugh:

THE_BEAST
08-31-2011, 09:02 PM

The question was, should I officially sell some, and if so, should I do something to make them a little more special.

Sign them and number each one (so everyone will know the real es for them).

AP 01/15
AP 02/15
AP 03/15
etc...

OuttaSight
08-31-2011, 09:05 PM

AP 01/15
AP 02/15
AP 03/15
etc...

Simple and interesting....amazing Im too stupid to have thought of that.

FROBAY
08-31-2011, 09:09 PM
Simple and interesting....amazing Im too stupid to have thought of that.

Lol.

Sign the base to the person buying it to avoid flippers. That will eliminate 3/4's of the people wanting one.

galactus
08-31-2011, 09:09 PM

Ahhh. You never made it clear that these APs already existed. The two manufacturers you used as examples, Clay and Arahom, actually produce a separate run of statues, change them to a certain degree and label them as APs. That's why everyone thought you were purposely going to produce some extra pieces to have an "AP" version. Clay sometimes sells the Manufacturers Proofs (which are his factory samples to make sure everything will be produced up to snuff) and they always do very well on ebay.

If you have actual APs/MPs floating around already, just sign em and throw them on ebay. They'll get at least what the regulars go for and probably more.

FROBAY
08-31-2011, 09:12 PM
:DAhhh. You never made it clear that these APs already existed. The two manufacturers you used as examples, Clay and Arahom, actually produce a separate run of statues, change them to a certain degree and label them as APs. That's why everyone thought you were purposely going to produce some extra pieces to have an "AP" version. Clay sometimes wells the Manufacturers Proofs (which are his factory samples to make sure everything will be produced up to snuff) and they always do very well on ebay.

If you have actual APs/MPs floating around already, just sign em and throw them on ebay. They'll get at least what the regulars go for and probably more.

Screw Ebay. Oh I said that already.:D

Darth Vader
09-01-2011, 03:25 AM

Some call it Artist Proof but when it is 750ex we are not talking about the same stuff ! APs are made for the artists collaborating to a project.

akumalove
09-01-2011, 03:32 AM

The question was, should I officially sell some, and if so, should I do something to make them a little more special.Officially sell them like they are now, that is the best way to go :)
Christina

akumalove
09-01-2011, 03:34 AM
Lol.

Sign the base to the person buying it to avoid flippers. That will eliminate 3/4's of the people wanting one.Oh that is a nice idea too, for akumalove on the base :D
Christina

TheSFToySpirit
09-01-2011, 04:45 AM

AP 01/15
AP 02/15
AP 03/15
etc...
But if we number them, will be there any AP's among the AP run? Like AP AP/15?..

... :confused2

More seriously a lot of people here always want that you add a print/sketch with your statues, why not inlcude it with the AP run, although it'll be better with all versions!..

It could be numbered too and signed by you and the artist, it could be great!..