PDA

View Full Version : Ebay and Shipping Restrictions in Listings?

galactus
09-11-2011, 11:07 PM
How come, whenever I set up shipping restrictions in an ebay auction and eliminate certain countries and locations, ebay STILL allows users registered from those countries to bid?

I have two auctions going right now which are set up to ONLY ship within the continental US (not even Alaska or Hawaii), but one of the auctions had a bid from a user in Canada?!?!?

Are these settings just a bunch of crap and don't do anything or is there a way to get around these settings if you want to bid on something?

JadeGiant
09-11-2011, 11:13 PM
Good question. I am relatively new to selling and was wary of this situation. I had a buyer purchase an item via BIN and when I looked u their ID it was from Indonesia. I sent a note and he informed me he has a US address listed on his account. I did not notice and don't know how to find this information but I am hoping that they were allowed to bid due to having a US mailing address.

Nidgit
09-11-2011, 11:14 PM
I'm not 100% sure, but I think you can get around it (as a buyer) by logging in under ebay.com as opposed to say ebay.com.au

Might be wrong, and I've never actually bid on anything that states "US only" for obvious reasons :) so can't say I've tested it.

risingstar
09-11-2011, 11:15 PM
Hmmm... It's possible that the bidder (also has a) shipping/billing address is in the US.

galactus
09-11-2011, 11:18 PM
I just got an email from the user (after cancelling their bid) and he said he does ship to the US since he's right near the border anyway.

Still seems silly. I can have 30 shipping addresses if I want, but how many does ebay allow you to verify? Seems like being registered in a given country but having a shipping address in another is asking for Paypal protection problems.

ratchet
09-12-2011, 12:09 AM
I just got an email from the user (after cancelling their bid) and he said he does ship to the US since he's right near the border anyway.

Still seems silly. I can have 30 shipping addresses if I want, but how many does ebay allow you to verify? Seems like being registered in a given country but having a shipping address in another is asking for Paypal protection problems.

This happened to me as well - I had a buyer bid on my statue - the buyer was from Indonesia - but he had a California shipping address...