PDA

View Full Version : Help picking a new DSLR Camera

FROBAY
03-05-2012, 12:45 PM
I have been watching this thread awhile and reading reviews online.

Im in the market for a DSLR, my 1st one. I could use some help deciding. Please help.

I will be using this camera to take pics of Statues, Family and some scenery photos. I would like to take outdoor shots at night. Im looking to purchase soon, so I can have it for this years SDCC.

Im leaning towards a D5100. I would prefer A Nikon or Cannon. I have about 1k to spend. I know Im a beginner but I dont want to buy a camera and upgrade in a year. I would like to get one that will last with maybe 2 lenses.

Some quaestions:
1. Will the Lenses fit all future models of Dslr as long as they are the same brand?
2. Are Motor Zooms not needed in DSLR Cameras?

Thanks for any help.

Skullbocks
03-05-2012, 03:12 PM
I've been using a friends Nikon D90. I just recently bought a Canon 7D and I love it. For the price range your looking at maybe a Canon 60D.

I'm sure whatever dslr u get you will not be upgrading in a year. Ive been using my friends D90 for the last 3 years at SDCC.

Nikon lenses work with Nikon bodies. Canon can use both Nikon and canon lenses.

I have been watching this thread awhile and reading reviews online.

Im in the market for a DSLR, my 1st one. I could use some help deciding. Please help.

I will be using this camera to take pics of Statues, Family and some scenery photos. I would like to take outdoor shots at night. Im looking to purchase soon, so I can have it for this years SDCC.

Im leaning towards a D5100. I would prefer A Nikon or Cannon. I have about 1k to spend. I know Im a beginner but I dont want to buy a camera and upgrade in a year. I would like to get one that will last with maybe 2 lenses.

Some quaestions:
1. Will the Lenses fit all future models of Dslr as long as they are the same brand?
2. Are Motor Zooms not needed in DSLR Cameras?

Thanks for any help.

FROBAY
03-05-2012, 03:15 PM
I've been using a friends Nikon D90. I just recently bought a Canon 7D and I love it. For the price range your looking at maybe a Canon 60D.

I'm sure whatever dslr u get you will not be upgrading in a year. Ive been using my friends D90 for the last 3 years at SDCC.

Thank you. I may pic that up. 1400 is still in my range, barely. Is the standard lense that it comes with good?

Skullbocks
03-05-2012, 03:33 PM
Thank you. I may pic that up. 1400 is still in my range, barely. Is the standard lense that it comes with good?

Kit lens is ok. You might want to get a wide angle lens for comic con when your on the exhibit floor

FROBAY
03-06-2012, 03:32 PM
I have narrowed my choices down to D5100, 60D and a T3i. any suggestions?

statman
03-06-2012, 04:22 PM
I have narrowed my choices down to D5100 and a T3i. any suggestions?

the T3i is an excellent camera. My brother has one and loves it! The additional video capability is a nice bonus. I currently have an XSi and would like to upgrade to one myself.

FROBAY
04-08-2012, 02:34 PM
Thanks for all the help everybody. I just picked up Canon 60D. Very pleased with it. Lots to learn.

kirthew
04-14-2012, 07:49 PM
The only issue you might have which I currently am dealing with is that I want to go to the Nikon D800... but only 2 of my current lens will transition. My other 4 lens are DX lens and I will not get the full benefit of the D800 with them.

That is the only thing you might run into in the future.

cactusrob
06-28-2012, 05:09 PM
I would have recommended a canon. So easy to start with, but so much to master.

k9ziggy
03-18-2013, 12:15 AM
In terms of an all purpose lens, I can't say enough good things about the Tamron 18-270mm. It is an amazing lens. I bought it for my 40D and loved it. I have since bought a 5D3, and this lens doesn't work with the full frame cameras. I will most likely be getting Tamrons 28-300, which is priced about the same. They are both in the mid $600's.

When in doubt, rent the lens and give it a run. I use a local place, but there is always lensrentals.com Their rental prices are very reasonable, but shipping is a bit stiff.

jedi_don
07-29-2013, 01:55 AM

Isn't that a bit of an exaggeration. I just did a quick Google search and an adapter is required and none of the automatic or camera/lens communication features will work. It seems to be an option for those using their Canons for videography with manual focus and using old Nikkor lenses.