PDA

View Full Version : glue in the armature??..why?

vegeta
07-18-2005, 10:36 AM
Hy everyone.

I know that some sculptors use "glue" in the armatures..

-can you tell me why, please?

-also, i want to know what kind of glue and what brand,
because some glues do not support the heat of the oven!

THANKS IN ADVANCE

cblakey1
07-18-2005, 12:31 PM
Hy everyone.

I know that some sculptors use "glue" in the armatures..

-can you tell me why, please?

-also, i want to know what kind of glue and what brand,
because some glues do not support the heat of the oven!

THANKS IN ADVANCE

Hey V.

I can't think of using glue for anything but to affix the nut you will use to attach your work to the armature stand.

I do that. and either Crazy Glue or Contact Cement work fine.

If you put on a layer of sculpey and bake it for your basic sculpt "form" , then the sculpey will harden as the glue breaks down and takes the place of securing the nut in your sculpt.

vegeta
07-18-2005, 02:55 PM
thanks C. :buttrock:

Do i have to find an NON FLAMMABLE glue or contact cement?..well, i
don`t know if they are flammable or not flammable....but if not, is it
not danger to use a flammable glue or c. cement?

THANKS

cblakey1
07-18-2005, 03:40 PM
thanks C. :buttrock:

Do i have to find an NON FLAMMABLE glue or contact cement?..well, i
don`t know if they are flammable or not flammable....but if not, is it
not danger to use a flammable glue or c. cement?

THANKS

Nawww, cuz by the time you heat it, the glue is encased in sculpey anyway. Plus 265 degrees is probably not enough to set it to flames. Also remember, you'd be using a very little bit that once cured would probably be inert and lose it's flammable values.

vegeta
07-18-2005, 05:22 PM
THANKS AGAIN :buttrock: :buttrock:

DanPerezStudios
07-18-2005, 11:15 PM
With wire armatures, you can bind various elements together with cloth-covered floral wire, then drip superglue onto the floral wire. It soaks into the cloth covering and locks the wire binding together.

It works great--I learned this trick from the Shiflett Bros.

vegeta
07-19-2005, 10:07 AM
With wire armatures, you can bind various elements together with cloth-covered floral wire, then drip superglue onto the floral wire. It soaks into the cloth covering and locks the wire binding together.

It works great--I learned this trick from the Shiflett Bros.

Thanks Dan, that is a great trick, but what is "cloth-covered"?..is that
kind of green tape that covered the floral wire?

DanPerezStudios
07-20-2005, 12:12 PM
It's very thin steel wire with green or white cloth applied to the outside. Go to the floral section of Michael's or Hobby Lobby and look for some foot-and-a-half bags with lengths of floral wire in them.

They make some wire that's just painted green, but you can tell the difference.

It comes in two gauges--one is much heavier than the other. Get the thin kind for binding armatures.

vegeta
07-20-2005, 02:22 PM
THANKS AGAIN DAN!! :buttrock:

DanPerezStudios
07-21-2005, 02:11 AM
As regards baking, I always bake Sculpey at a lower temp (225 or so). Very little burns at that temp (it's considered "low" as oven temps go). Paper and wood don't burn until about 450 degrees, and I've experimented with stuff like monofilament and resin foam (the canned foam stuff).

One important exception: styrofoam or floral foam. This stuff can give off toxic vapors, so don't bake them or use them for armatures.

Since you're baking at a lower temp, you should bake the piece longer.

vegeta
07-21-2005, 09:16 AM
As regards baking, I always bake Sculpey at a lower temp (225 or so). Very little burns at that temp (it's considered "low" as oven temps go). Paper and wood don't burn until about 450 degrees, and I've experimented with stuff like monofilament and resin foam (the canned foam stuff).

One important exception: styrofoam or floral foam. This stuff can give off toxic vapors, so don't bake them or use them for armatures.

Since you're baking at a lower temp, you should bake the piece longer.

Thanks Dan.

Should i keep the sculpture in the oven until is cold
with out open the oven`s door?

DanPerezStudios
07-22-2005, 11:46 PM
It's a good idea to let the sculpt cool in the oven. Rapid changes of temperature can lead to cracking sometimes. Opening the door is usually not a problem. Sometimes I let the oven cool for a bit and then crack the door to let it cool off a little more rapidly.

vegeta
07-23-2005, 12:35 AM
Thanks Dan for your valuable help!! :buttrock: