PDA

View Full Version : What I'm watching, What I've watched, What I recommend.

Smith88
05-13-2012, 02:53 AM
I've been thinking about starting one of these threads for a while. I'm not sure if there's any interest... but I watch a LOT of anime... and I've been watching it for... Jesus... 16-17 years now (good lord) and I thought it'd be fun to kind of chronicle what I'm watching... and pass along some other recommendations. I tend to watch several shows at the same time (a couple on my own... and a couple that I watch with various friends)

Not sure how I'll format it... might give beginning, middle, and end opinion... maybe just edit old posts as I make progress. If anybody has some input... let me know.

I guess I'll start now.

Main Show:
Toaru Majutsu no Index
http://anidb.net/perl-bin/animedb.pl?show=anime&aid=5975

Quick Synopsis: Guy saves blue haired nun, fights some people, psuedo-harem ensues.

Thoughts:
To be fair, I've seen the whole first season... but it's been a couple years. I love this show... Characters are a lot of fun, story is engrossing... Very addictive.

Fan-Service Warning: Minimal. Occasional panty shots, brief almost nudity, foggy/towel covered bath scenes.

Recommend?: Yeah, it's a great show.

Smith88
05-13-2012, 11:32 AM
Oh... Random recommendation: Legend of the Galactic Heroes. Space War action-drama. Older show, no graphical fanciness but it's masterful... I love classic anime spaceship designs, the episodes are jam packed with story and information, and it really does a great job of showing both sides of the story and how there are heroes and villains in each group.

http://anidb.net/perl-bin/animedb.pl?show=anime&aid=584

El Pulento
05-13-2012, 12:42 PM
Any good anime movies?

Smith88
05-13-2012, 01:40 PM
Any good anime movies?

Redline (http://anidb.net/perl-bin/animedb.pl?show=anime&aid=6529)

It's like F-Zero on crack. Not a real in-depth story... but a LOT of fun. Oddball director.

Fanservice warning: Nudity (Breasts)

Sword of the Stranger (http://anidb.net/perl-bin/animedb.pl?show=anime&aid=2185)

Good samurai action anime

Castle of Cagliostro (http://anidb.net/perl-bin/animedb.pl?show=anime&aid=320)

My introduction to the world of Lupin the 3rd... I love this movies... it's an anime classic that I feel EVERYBODY should watch.

Bonus: Character designs by Hayao Miazaki (Spelling?), The Studio Ghibli guy.

Getting ready for work... Those should last you until I get home at least. :smokin:

El Pulento
05-13-2012, 01:46 PM
My favorites are, Ninja scroll, vampire hunter d bloodlust and Street fighter

jimaras2099
05-13-2012, 01:55 PM
Sword of the Stranger:
Awesome story..AMAZING music!!!!
i loved also the Kenshin Himoura (Samurai X) the "Rurouni Kenshin: Reflection"..what an end!!

Smith88
05-13-2012, 09:39 PM
Astro Fighter Sunred (http://anidb.net/perl-bin/animedb.pl?show=anime&aid=6049)

Genre: Parody

Thoughts: I'm only at the beginning... It's a parody / play on the sentai (Think power rangers or ultraman) genre. Animation isn't great, most of the appeal lies in the references to types of characters and situations.

Side-note: I'm totally thinking about cosplaying as Sunred if I go to another anime convention

Warnings: No nudity or anything like that yet (doubt there will be... but seriously... not much in the way of animation, only watch if you're a fan of the genre.

Busou Renkin (http://anidb.net/perl-bin/animedb.pl?show=anime&aid=4516) (Showing Friend)

Genre: "THIS IS MY SPECIAL MOVE" action anime.

Thoughts: I LOVED this show. Fun story, pretty good animation, a lot of characters with a lot of special abilities. Definitely worth a watch in my opinion.

Warnings: Not much in the way of lady-part fanservice that I remember. There's a main character that's REALLY fancy (google image search: busou renkin papillion) and spends at least one episode running around in a thong. The rest of the episodes... it's not much better. So avoid if you're ultra sensitive to that sort of thing.

Gundam 00 (http://anidb.net/perl-bin/animedb.pl?show=anime&aid=5252) (Showing Friend)

Genre: Giant Robot awesomeness

Thoughts: I watched the first season a lot time ago... rewatching it with a friend... looking forward to season two. Great story, not a terribly happy one though. Animation and character design are top notch.

Warnings: Slightly irritating robot sidekick? I kind of like it... My friend wants to kick the TV.

(Sorry that I'm like "OH MAN, EVERYTHING IS AWESOME"... I need to find some shows that aren't so great)

Smith88
05-13-2012, 09:41 PM
b.t.w. if anyone has any suggestions to what I should be putting in this thread review wise... or anything else... feel free to comment or PM me.

Ask for any genre recommendations the same way. Otherwise... I'll just post as I watch new shows or occasionally just ramble about some shows / movies I like on a certain theme.

Smith88
05-14-2012, 01:17 PM
Gurren Lagann (Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann)

Genre: Giant robot / THIS IS MY SPECIAL MOVE!!! anime

Quick plot: Humans vs Beastmen and beyond in a fight for survival... with giant robots.

Thoughts: If you can find me a more over the top crazy awesome show... I'll give you a buck. seriously... first person. I will paypal you a dollar. But it has to be 1)Over the top 2)Over the top crazy 3)Crazy awesome 4)Awesome

Ships are powered by fighting spirit and challenges can be overcome just through force of will.

Awesome characters, great story, cool robots.

I've watched this show all the way through at LEAST 5 times... showing various people... everybody has liked.

Warning 1: There is some fan service... The main female spends most of the series in a bikini top, and she's very jiggly.

Warning 2: you might not want to watch if you're kind of new to anime... it might break other shows for you. You're likely to be like "Welp, Akira is hella boring"

moon_knight1971
05-14-2012, 03:55 PM
Loved Afro Samurai, Samurai Champloo, Basilisk, Elfen Lied, Ninja Scroll OVA, Fist of the North Star, High School of the Dead, Gatchaman OVA, Blood OVA and Witchblade.

Smith88
05-14-2012, 06:18 PM
Loved Afro Samurai, Samurai Champloo, Basilisk, Elfen Lied, Ninja Scroll OVA, Fist of the North Star, High School of the Dead, Gatchaman OVA, Blood OVA and Witchblade.

I can't rant too much about it without spoilers... but I REALLY disliked Basilisk

Samurai Champloo was pretty awesome.

Fist of the North Star is another of those awesome classics.

boniceman
05-14-2012, 09:24 PM
Cowboy Bebop, samurai champloo, Fullmetal alchemist, Evangelion (BTW the rebuild movies are amazing ), soul eater, trigun, black butler, darker than black, and of course the long term shonen jump anime, dragonballz, naruto, bleach, and one piece :D

boniceman
05-14-2012, 09:31 PM
BTW, I recently bought 3 anime series, and I have no idea if they are good or bad lol! I would be thankful if you guys could give me some opinions about these anime series:smokin:

1.Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion
2.Gintama
3.Togainu No Chi

Smith88
05-14-2012, 10:46 PM
BTW, I recently bought 3 anime series, and I have no idea if they are good or bad lol! I would be thankful if you guys could give me some opinions about these anime series:smokin:

1.Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion
2.Gintama
3.Togainu No Chi

Sadly I haven't seen any of those. You'll have to let me know

Smith88
05-14-2012, 10:58 PM
Cowboy Bebop, samurai champloo, Fullmetal alchemist, Evangelion (BTW the rebuild movies are amazing ), soul eater, trigun, black butler, darker than black, and of course the long term shonen jump anime, dragonballz, naruto, bleach, and one piece :D

Ah... Evangelion... A show where I hated pretty much every character. I was rooting for world destruction. Awesome mech design though. I could rant endlessly about the stuff I disliked about it. :smokin:

Soul Eater is on my list of shows to watch... but the main female characters voice is SOOOOOOOOO annoying.

Watched a LOT of Naruto... Liked the abilities and some of the side characters more than I liked the story... Especially with the "I'm going to force Sauske to come back!" game plan. I'd hate to see him on dates. No means No Naruto.

Bleach is a show I'm more interested in catching up on. I was going to start right after the whole "bount (?) / stuffed animal story arc" my friend says I should avoid like the plague.

Saw Darker than Black S1... Need to rewatch and check out S2

FMA is great. Want to watch brotherhood. More manly tears to shed.

Trigun started great but seemed to fizzle for me halfway through... all the way to the ending. To the point where at the ending I was more glad it was over than I was over any story resolution.

b.t.w. hope you guys don't mind me giving my opinions / picking apart shows you list.

boniceman
05-15-2012, 01:21 PM
Evangelion "Rebuild" is the same Evangelion without the psichological weirdness and more mecha fights with insane animations, they're pretty good movies.

Soul eater is a pretty good anime, though I never notice Maka's annoying voice... maybe you're talking about the english dub! because in japanese Maka's voice is pretty much normal.

Naruto Shippuden is very good, but I recommend skipping the fillers, they are terrible..

Bleach, well, I have mixed opinions on this anime, there are good arcs and terrible arcs ( like the stuffed animal arc... oh God why:deadh:...)

Darker than black is awesome! but don't waste your time seeing the sason 2, sadly It's not good..

FMA is good, FMA brotherhood is amazing:drooling:. It's self explanatory.

I agree with what you said about trigun, the end was terrible.. but the anime started pretty good. It was funny as hell:laugh:

and do not worry, that's what the forums are for:buttrock:

Ah... Evangelion... A show where I hated pretty much every character. I was rooting for world destruction. Awesome mech design though. I could rant endlessly about the stuff I disliked about it. :smokin:

Soul Eater is on my list of shows to watch... but the main female characters voice is SOOOOOOOOO annoying.

Watched a LOT of Naruto... Liked the abilities and some of the side characters more than I liked the story... Especially with the "I'm going to force Sauske to come back!" game plan. I'd hate to see him on dates. No means No Naruto.

Bleach is a show I'm more interested in catching up on. I was going to start right after the whole "bount (?) / stuffed animal story arc" my friend says I should avoid like the plague.

Saw Darker than Black S1... Need to rewatch and check out S2

FMA is great. Want to watch brotherhood. More manly tears to shed.

Trigun started great but seemed to fizzle for me halfway through... all the way to the ending. To the point where at the ending I was more glad it was over than I was over any story resolution.

b.t.w. hope you guys don't mind me giving my opinions / picking apart shows you list.

Nyxs
05-15-2012, 02:22 PM

Good list! :buttrock: Absolutely loved all of the ones you listed, maybe except for High School of the Dead(haven't watched it yet). I recommend you check out Samurai 7, I think you'll like it. :)

Smith88
05-15-2012, 04:07 PM
Soul eater is a pretty good anime, though I never notice Maka's annoying voice... maybe you're talking about the english dub! because in japanese Maka's voice is pretty much normal.

Naruto Shippuden is very good, but I recommend skipping the fillers, they are terrible..

Bleach, well, I have mixed opinions on this anime, there are good arcs and terrible arcs ( like the stuffed animal arc... oh God why:deadh:...)

Darker than black is awesome! but don't waste your time seeing the sason 2, sadly It's not good..

and do not worry, that's what the forums are for:buttrock:

I NEVER watch dubs... Ever. There's something about the pitch and it's really nasally. It was distinct enough that after the 2 episodes of Soul Eater I saw I was able to place the voice actress in a different show. But maybe I'm just that awesome :buttrock:

Yeah... Filler was my main problem with bleach and naruto... Think I'd be better off just reading the manga... Naruto seemed to stretch everything out... especially compared to the Manga. 2 episodes vs. 3 pages. :deadh:

That's sad about S2... maybe I'll just avoid it and keep my happy memories of S1.

Smith88
05-15-2012, 04:09 PM
Good list! :buttrock: Absolutely loved all of the ones you listed, maybe except for High School of the Dead(haven't watched it yet). I recommend you check out Samurai 7, I think you'll like it. :)

High School of the dead is pretty awesome... but be prepared for jiggles and panty shots... good lord. More underwear per episode that a Victoria's Secret advert.

Samurai 7 seems like a cool show... but it's one I've NEVER been able to get through. Not out of dislike or anything... just some weird thing that I can't get past 4-5 episodes. Maybe that'll get bumped up on my list.

Smith88
05-15-2012, 04:09 PM
B.t.w. if anyone watches a show based on my recommendation and likes it... lemme know. It'd be good to know I've been helpful.

:D

boniceman
05-15-2012, 05:27 PM
wanted to see The Sword Of The Stranger for a while now, I will rent it and tell you if i like it :D

B.T.W. I forgot about one incredible anime I really love! , It's called Hajime no ippo, I recommend it, It's a boxing based anime series. :radior:

B.t.w. if anyone watches a show based on my recommendation and likes it... lemme know. It'd be good to know I've been helpful.

:D

AK-47
06-12-2012, 10:14 AM
When i was kid, i always love to watch my favorite anime show "Speed Racer". After that i was starting to watch Tom & Jerry; a lovely and funny show. Now days i am watching the "Naruto" only. :goodpost:

Smith88
07-12-2012, 04:25 PM
When i was kid, i always love to watch my favorite anime show "Speed Racer". After that i was starting to watch Tom & Jerry; a lovely and funny show. Now days i am watching the "Naruto" only. :goodpost:

I loved speed racer... in high school I'd pick up whatever speed racer shirts I could find.

I used to watch quite a bit of Naruto... Quite a bit of the main series until it was in ultra-filler mode... and Shippuden until it seemed to drop in quality a bunch.

Especially the Guy / Shark Guy fight... *shudder*

I'd like to read the manga... get caught up that way... that way I can go at my own pace and not be stuck on stare-down episodes. :slapf:

I need to do an update to this... been watching quite a few new shows... reading new manga.

Good times.

Relic
08-05-2012, 04:46 PM
The sword of the stranger 9/10 awesome movie

Richlpz
09-02-2012, 04:13 PM
Good anime movies you guys should check out if you haven't already

Summer wars
Steamboy
Grave of the fireflies
Origin

Good series

Blood +
Yu yu hakusho
Fairy tail
Eden of the east ( series and two movies)
Rahxephon

Just to name a few