PDA

View Full Version : Luis Royo - Luz Malefic

Vallos
05-15-2012, 03:28 PM
This photo was just released on Yamato's Facebook. They will soon announce the statue. No word on when that will be.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/560012_394422157267484_132548376788198_1157534_619900241_n.jpg

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/423255_345238042182079_146329428739609_979610_842338773_n.jpg

hotrodhoodrat
05-22-2012, 02:18 PM
Posted on their web sight now..(Yamato USA) no details as of yet :(

Found this on Luis Royo blog :D

hotrodhoodrat
05-23-2012, 08:44 AM
Looks like she's going to be a 1/4th scale statue...(from the pic I found on L.R. blog) now's the time to start saving me penny's again LOL :D :D

jimaras2099
05-23-2012, 09:34 AM
omg!!!!!:drooling::drooling::drooling:

Vallos
05-23-2012, 10:18 AM
Looks like she's going to be a 1/4th scale statue...(from the pic I found on L.R. blog) now's the time to start saving me penny's again LOL :D :D

I hope so Hotrod, as this will look phenomenal next to 1:4 Ritual!

AeonX
05-23-2012, 10:30 AM
wow...i like !

vmcoelho
05-23-2012, 10:36 AM
Royo's work is just amazing... wish i had money (and space) to invest on thhose statues.... just gorgeous

hotrodhoodrat
05-24-2012, 03:21 AM
I hope so Hotrod, as this will look phenomenal next to 1:4 Ritual!

Yamato has got to see.. the 1/4th is more popular than any other size.. plus look at the back grown :wink2:

I must agree...I hope they do a great job on the paint app.......too :praying::praying:

aeumuse
06-05-2012, 05:52 PM
Avalanch
Malefic Time: Apocalypse (Official Video) 2012 (http://youtu.be/OAKYJ9giZnI)(youtube)

ruzzell
06-05-2012, 06:33 PM
Very interesting! Can't wait to see more....

Jayden
06-05-2012, 11:52 PM
Hopefully it'll be in PVC as well as in Resin. Just don't have the money for the Resin ones, plus all the others I have are PVC and they're still just as nice to gaze at.

jedi_don
06-06-2012, 01:38 AM
As far as Luis Royo goes, this was a very tame selection. No piecings or tattoos (or robot/monster sex). I wonder if Yamato felt they could reach a broader customer base with a tamer Royo painting.

I wonder why Yamoto changed the sword design. I prefer the more simple style in the painting.

Face on the sculpt is a bit rounder and fuller than the a source.

hotrodhoodrat
06-06-2012, 10:08 AM
Avalanch
Malefic Time: Apocalypse (Official Video) 2012 (http://youtu.be/OAKYJ9giZnI)(youtube)

Thx for sharing the music vid :buttrock:

ahabmike
06-06-2012, 04:48 PM
>>I wonder if Yamato felt they could reach a broader customer base with a tamer Royo painting.

Not that I'm not a fan of less-tame pieces, but the greater "tameness" in this case has definitely put me on the "buy" list. (My pre-teen daughter frequents my nerd-cave...)

Vallos
06-06-2012, 05:17 PM
From Facebook:

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/533053_407326485977051_2073240970_n.jpghttps://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/166586_407326562643710_132548376788198_1194516_603920024_n.jpg
https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/166586_407326562643710_132548376788198_1194516_603920024_n.jpghttps://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/181321_407326652643701_1403358833_n.jpg

hotrodhoodrat
06-07-2012, 09:41 AM
Thx Vallos.. for sharing :D

Weiworks
06-12-2012, 12:28 AM
Yeah, this one is nice.....

-Wei
Sexy Drawings | Sexy Statues | Sexy Art (http://www.artofwei.com)

aeumuse
07-05-2012, 07:36 PM
http://i.imgur.com/FOpYm.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/4kI3l.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/N0L6r.jpg

More pics (http://www.yamatotoysusa.com/page.cfm/1002)

dechirico7
07-05-2012, 07:38 PM
She needs to be paler and have white hair. No tears?

hotrodhoodrat
07-05-2012, 07:55 PM
Bluer eyes too....:drooling: !!

Vallos
07-05-2012, 09:34 PM
I am fine with the omission of the running mascara, as I doubt it can be reproduced at the factory level.

jaguargod
07-05-2012, 10:41 PM
I really like the statue, except for the transparent grey hair. Not a fan of that at all. Is this confirmed to be 1/4 scale?

Anyone know what the other planned 1/4 releases are? Any plans to issue Medusa in 1/4?

ChromeColossus
07-05-2012, 10:52 PM
She needs to be paler and have white hair. No tears?

Bluer eyes too....:drooling: !!

Very Sexy Piece, I agree on paler skin and bluer eyes, the hair either way IMO and no tears, can take it or leave it

Jayden
07-06-2012, 01:21 AM
Still a pretty sweet looking statue. Just not sure though if it's screaming "MUST HAVE" at the moment.

I think there are better pieces of Royo's work that would translate stunningly into statue form. This one does feel rather timid compared to previous ones.

The sculptor though did an amazing job on this one though.

Silas Loki
07-06-2012, 02:23 AM
This is an awesome piece, I love this series!! If she's confirmed to be 1/4 scale I'm so putting the £££ on the table for this (maybe two)......really hope this is the shape of things to come from Yamato, hell I wish the Sideshow Star Wars line was this good....ah, maybe not, I'd be broke and my wife would have left me.

Regarding the piece, I can find no fault with it. I think she looks perfect as is. I always consider the accompanying artwork to be something of a guide and not something that has to be emulated to the enth degree. Simply put, I love everything about how this sculpt looks.

Vallos
07-06-2012, 08:17 AM
I concur, Silas. It's fine the way it is, and a definite purchase for me. That is if it's 1:4 scale and in resin, which Yamato has not indicated. I am done with the 1:6 scale and PVC statues.

Silas Loki
07-06-2012, 08:20 AM
If she looks like that but is 1/6 and PVC, I'd still be tempted! Yamato have proved their ability to deliver outstanding quality in PVC....don't get me wrong, I would prefer 1/4 Polystone (Resin) but....if she's under 1/6 scale, then I don't care if she's PVC, Resin, or Gold, I won't bother with her.....which would be such a shame.

Vallos
07-06-2012, 08:40 AM
That is very true, Silas. My adverse proclimation to PVC has more to do with keeping my line consistant, not to metnion that I simply prefer resin, than anything else. I have several of their PVC statues and they are done rather well, so if they happen to make this only in PVC and in 1:4, then I may bite. So far, they have never done a 1:4 scale PVC statue, so based on that, if this is done in PVC it's going to be 1:6. That is the ultimate deal breaker for me. Having said all of that, I sincerily believe this is going to be in 1:4.

jaguargod
07-06-2012, 10:35 AM
Wouldn't a 1/4 scale PVC statue be much more suceptible to leaning and warping? I'll pass on anything PVC regardless of the size. For some reason, paint just looks different on a PVC statue. It looks more synthetic or something.

Vallos
07-06-2012, 10:49 AM
I'm not familiar with the ills of PVC, so if that is the case, then count me out.

blueyell
07-06-2012, 11:08 AM
I don't like the transparent hair, it looks cheap, and she needs to be more paler. Maybe this is the PVC version cause the hair looks like PVC. I'm sure they will make another version, just like they made two versions of the Ritual Statue, broken wings and Hot Box statues. In two of those cases, I ordered the original, and then ordered the 2nd versions cause I liked them better. I really have to start waiting until closer to shipping date in order to choose one variant!

Vallos
07-06-2012, 11:14 AM
That is exactly what I told Jeff at Yamato. I cancelled Her Garden Regular because I ordered it as soon as it was available for preorder, and did the same thing for Hot Box. Shortly after their pre-order availability, they announced the variants. I cancelled both regulars, which I hate doing. I told Yamato that I will wait at least a month or ask if there are going to be variants, before I place my orders. Fortunately they were able to cancel the orders without hesitation.

derekrodneysim
07-06-2012, 11:27 AM
Wow! She's gorgeous! :drooling:

Her thighs look so supple and the hint of her stockings are so well sculpted.

Silas Loki
07-06-2012, 01:10 PM
I'm on the other side of the debate. I think PVC can really be good, and you get a very different texture with PVC, almost soft touch! Although I've never seen any quality piece done in 1/4 scale in PVC, so this would be a first for me.

I wonder why they are keeping the scale so hush hush, surely that aspect in itself is a selling point. Sometimes I dispair st the so called "Marketing" experts who control what we, the potential customer and life blood for the range, can know in advance. The 1/4 scale Ritual statue was limited to 500 copies (worldwide) something like that should have sold out by now, but it's still readily available......and they must wonder why!

Vallos
07-06-2012, 02:13 PM
This was the point I raised in the Ritual thread, in that a high quality produced statue is causing little fanfare among folks on the forums, is without a doubt raising some eyebrows within Yamato. This really is a fine sclupture that can go up against any statue (comparatively speaking) from any company, and yet it's still not sold out. Granted it has only been out for a little over a month, but 500 units is not a lot. I'm hoping she does sell out sooner than later so that Yamato can continue producing 1:4 scale statues, because if not, I can see them scraping that scale and continue doing what they know will sell.

Vallos
07-06-2012, 02:28 PM
Case Aquino posted this in a seperate thread, and he thinks it's 1:4. What do you guys think?

http://www.statueforum.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=72173&d=1337711357

Silas Loki
07-06-2012, 02:43 PM
This was the point I raised in the Ritual thread, in that a high quality produced statue is causing little fanfare among folks on the forums, is without a doubt raising some eyebrows within Yamato. This really is a fine sclupture that can go up against any statue (comparatively speaking) from any company, and yet it's still not sold out. Granted it has only been out for a little over a month, but 500 units is not a lot. I'm hoping she does sell out sooner than later so that Yamato can continue producing 1:4 scale statues, because if not, I can see them scraping that scale and continue doing what they know will sell.

Totally agree. 500 units is nothing in collecting circles. I think the big danger with this range (at least IMHO) is that it's quite a distance from what these Japanese companies usually sell. Obviously Anime is their bread and butter, and this range (allbeit small) seems to be their attempt to do things different. If they get even the slightest inkling that they arn't selling well, that will be IT! I doubt they will necessarily look to their own new product introduction strategies to consider the source of the failure, my fear is they will attribute the failure to lack of interest.....which I hope is absurd.

Regarding the line in particular, I have to say I don't think Yamato really know what thye have created here. As a collector I have spent so much time looking for a statues that provide an ultra-realistic showpiece for my collection. Not many companies can / do produce products to this level of realism. Sideshow et al. seem more interested in producing comic characters, which is understandable as these are products which sell. Unfortunately for me, the other side of the coin are the over sexualised, big eyed, small nosed comic features of the Anime world, which really doesn't float my boat!

This range really hits the spot with what I want, and it would be a shame to see it die in it's infancy either through poor marketing or maybe even a general lack of interest from the statue collecting community......I guess we'll have to watch this space and see how the story unfolds.

loricstone
07-06-2012, 02:55 PM
I think you all can't forget that the Fantasy Figure females isn't as popular as comic or movie characters. I just happened upon Yamato when I saw the Ritual 1/4 statue. If it wasn't for the Ritual 1/4, I never would have known Yamato existed. So if I, being a highly avid statue collector of a wide range of collectibles just recently came across this, think of how many more are out there like me. SS has a wide plethora of licenses, while Yamato is very specific.

I think we will know just how well this line will do with time. I want Ritual very much!

Vallos
07-06-2012, 02:58 PM
This range really hits the spot...
You are mirroring my collective habits as well, which is why I adore this line. The Sorayama statues along with the new Royo pieces are hitting the proverbial nail on the head!

Vallos
07-06-2012, 03:20 PM
I think you all can't forget that the Fantasy Figure females isn't as popular as comic or movie characters. I just happened upon Yamato when I saw the Ritual 1/4 statue. If it wasn't for the Ritual 1/4, I never would have known Yamato existed. So if I, being a highly avid statue collector of a wide range of collectibles just recently came across this, think of how many more are out there like me. SS has a wide plethora of licenses, while Yamato is very specific.

I think we will know just how well this line will do with time. I want Ritual very much!
I don't think we are forgetting that comic/movie characters are more popular, we would be fools to think otherwise. The point here is that news of 1:4 Ritual should have spread far and wide within our community, but it has not for one reason or another. Could it be a lack of marking from Yamato, like Silas indicated? It could be, or it could very well be that people have no affinity to the source material. In either case, I just hope Yamato can stick with it and continuing to bang out top notch statues like Sexy Robot and Ritual, so people eventually understand that Yamato makes super duper 1:4 statues!

hotrodhoodrat
07-07-2012, 05:17 PM
I don't think we are forgetting that comic/movie characters are more popular, we would be fools to think otherwise. The point here is that news of 1:4 Ritual should have spread far and wide within our community, but it has not for one reason or another. Could it be a lack of marking from Yamato, like Silas indicated? It could be, or it could very well be that people have no affinity to the source material. In either case, I just hope Yamato can stick with it and continuing to bang out top notch statues like Sexy Robot and Ritual, so people eventually understand that Yamato makes super duper 1:4 statues!
:iagree: 100% w/Vallos.. here !!

victory
07-07-2012, 10:14 PM
Although I agree that the hair color needs a bit of tweeking, this will be a must have for me. I am excited to see Yamato's 1/4 fantasy line expanding!

loricstone
07-08-2012, 06:10 AM

That was my point. I used the comic/character first sentence to set the stage to further explain my reason. So, I guess I could have been more clear, but my point was that Fantasy Figure Female 1/4 statues based off of Luis Royo, Soryama, and other artists are probably unknown to most that don't visit this forum, and to those that don't know about Yamato.

Word of mouth is probably the best way to get the word out for these 1/4 statues. Once more are released, word will get around. This is why I said that I got lucky finding out about Yamato and that they made 1/4 resin statues. I was kind of familiar about the smaller scale PVC stuff, but that is not what I wanted. It wasn't until I got lucky and came upon 1/4 Ritual that made me go nuts.

Heck, I didn't even know Yamato had a separate section in the SS section. I never paid attention to it, because I never paid attention to Yamato. Well, that has now changed.

I expect to get Ritual hopefully tomorrow and once I do, pics will be put up of her by herself and next to some of my SS statues like Vampirella and Lara Croft PFs.

hotrodhoodrat
07-08-2012, 11:06 AM
That was my point. I used the comic/character first sentence to set the stage to further explain my reason. So, I guess I could have been more clear, but my point was that Fantasy Figure Female 1/4 statues based off of Luis Royo, Soryama, and other artists are probably unknown to most that don't visit this forum, and to those that don't know about Yamato.

Word of mouth is probably the best way to get the word out for these 1/4 statues. Once more are released, word will get around. This is why I said that I got lucky finding out about Yamato and that they made 1/4 resin statues. I was kind of familiar about the smaller scale PVC stuff, but that is not what I wanted. It wasn't until I got lucky and came upon 1/4 Ritual that made me go nuts.

Heck, I didn't even know Yamato had a separate section in the SS section. I never paid attention to it, because I never paid attention to Yamato. Well, that has now changed.

I expect to get Ritual hopefully tomorrow and once I do, pics will be put up of her by herself and next to some of my SS statues like Vampirella and Lara Croft PFs.
Congrats...can't wait to see yours and hear what you think :)

Vallos
07-16-2012, 11:14 AM
Photos taken by Wei:

http://www.artofwei.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/Yamato_Luz_Malefic_1.jpg
http://www.artofwei.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/Yamato_Luz_Malefic_2.jpg
http://www.artofwei.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/Yamato_Luz_Malefic_3.jpg
http://www.artofwei.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/Yamato_Luz_Malefic_4.jpg
http://www.artofwei.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/Yamato_Luz_Malefic_5.jpg

jaguargod
07-16-2012, 11:53 AM
The statue is really nice, but the hair is still awful. I hope they change it, or make a variant with painted hair.

BTW, why has no one posted photos of the 1/4 Medusa?

Vallos
07-16-2012, 12:40 PM
I actually like the hair this way. I imagine the hair being "illuminated" by a light source.

As for the Medusa, I do wonder why Wei (or anyone) never took photos of it.

Silas Loki
07-16-2012, 01:13 PM
To be fair, my guess is most people figured that the Medusa statue is pretty much what you've already seen, just in 1/4 scale....which probably explains why Yamato haven't particularly made a big deal about it themselves!

Big shame about the Dancer of Pain statue, I won't be getting that, I may have been tempted at 1/6 scale, a definate at 1/4, but at 1/8th I just have no use for it in my collection.

hotrodhoodrat
07-16-2012, 01:26 PM
I hope Yamato does a Limited Edition/variation of her..like all the others they done,
I think a dirty white leather w/black undergarments and black soles on the boots.
Bright blue eyes, gray & white hair, in strips or faded would be nice,
I'd also like to see her cape done in a two tone..like black on the inside N' dirty white on the out side.
Plus all of the metal peaces left in silver, maybe have a gold sword N' dark gray base..like old concrete & D.brown dirt maybe :)

ONE big thing I hope Yamato... does tho... is cut back on the reddish hue around the edging of the skin..just a bit.. not a hole lot
just enough.. the wife agrees...

Vallos
07-16-2012, 01:27 PM
That is a good point, Silas. Although, I would have liked to see how it looks in a bigger scale. I guess we'll soon find out. I'm not liking the base, which is taken from another Royo painting.

hotrodhoodrat
07-16-2012, 01:47 PM
I really wonder if YAMATO reads any of our post/suggestions...tho.....:(

Y3E
07-16-2012, 03:36 PM
I actually like the hair this way. I imagine the hair being "illuminated" by a light source.

As for the Medusa, I do wonder why Wei (or anyone) never took photos of it.

I found these pics on TOMOPOP.com

http://i1153.photobucket.com/albums/p512/Y3E/01.jpghttp://i1153.photobucket.com/albums/p512/Y3E/02.jpghttp://i1153.photobucket.com/albums/p512/Y3E/03.jpghttp://i1153.photobucket.com/albums/p512/Y3E/04.jpghttp://i1153.photobucket.com/albums/p512/Y3E/06.jpghttp://i1153.photobucket.com/albums/p512/Y3E/05.jpg

Is it me or does the paint job looks sloppy and rushed?

Vallos
07-16-2012, 03:53 PM
Thanks for the photos. Unfortunately, I have to agree with you. It does look sloppy. Plus I am not liking the snake attachment on her arms.

(I am going to do a comparison between the PVC and the resin in the Medusa Resin thread.)

Silas Loki
07-16-2012, 04:06 PM
Well, that clears that up then....the question as to why noone made a big deal about Medusa....it's rubbish!

I wonder if this is because the original concept was concieved for a certain scale, and in "blowing it up" some of the "failures" have become more pronounced. Either way, if that's waht the prototype looks like, theres no way I'll be getting the production version :) more ££ saved!

hotrodhoodrat
07-19-2012, 08:24 AM
Well, that clears that up then....the question as to why noone made a big deal about Medusa....it's rubbish!

I wonder if this is because the original concept was concieved for a certain scale, and in "blowing it up" some of the "failures" have become more pronounced. Either way, if that's waht the prototype looks like, theres no way I'll be getting the production version :) more ££ saved!

Agreed...the base would be wicked but then again so would the cost...sad to see her paint app done so poorly :(

Thx for posting pics Y3E.. U'r awesome !!

jaguargod
07-20-2012, 07:06 PM
I truly think that some of these pieces, by their appearance, were done at the very last minute to make it to SDCC. They should have just waited and done them right. The saying "any publicity is good publicity", doesn't apply here.

Vallos
07-21-2012, 08:55 AM
Are you referring to Luz or Medusa? If Luz, what part of the statue do you think was rushed?

jaguargod
07-21-2012, 10:40 AM
No, I think Luz looks good (other than the choice for the hair). I don't have any issues with it. I was referring to the Medusa. The skinThe paint job is in a totally different class from Luz or Ritual. This was also the case with the SS Scar Predator statue. It looked like the artist could have painted it in his room the night before. I don't know why they would premier a product, on basically the biggest stage of the year, without it being ready.

aeumuse
07-24-2012, 10:24 AM
Hmm...why the direction change for medusa's eyes?

So far all the resin versions have superior face paint compared to their pvc counterparts...some instructions were lost somewhere between communications?

Vallos
07-24-2012, 05:08 PM
From Facebook:

For those asking about the transparent hair on Luz Malefic, its being repainted to silver/white. It didn't make in time before comicon, but its being worked on. I'll update you on that later on.

Silas Loki
07-25-2012, 02:29 AM
With the White hair, this and the Ritual statue could be "counts as" for Danerys from Game of Thrones :D I wonder if that inspired some of the details that went into these pieces?

Vallos
07-25-2012, 09:08 AM
Now that you mention it, Luz does look a bit like Emily Clarke. It would be a good question to ask Mr. Royo, but not for Ritual. Luz was painted within the last year, while Ritual was painted in 2005. If, however, you are referring to the books, then perhaps he was inspired, but I don't think so. Royo tends to use models as a template for his paintings.

http://www.luisroyofantasy.com/en/index.php?page=miscellaneous

http://www.luisroyofantasy.com/en/pics/extras/model04_luisroyofantasy.jpg

http://www.luisroyofantasy.com/en/pics/extras/model03_luisroyofantasy.jpg

http://www.luisroyofantasy.com/en/pics/extras/model02_luisroyofantasy.jpg

Silas Loki
07-25-2012, 11:20 AM
I was really refering to the product selection rather than the original piece. Did Yamato select those particualr Royo drawings for their statues because of the slender link to Game of Thrones.

To be honest, I doubt it, I don't imagine Game of Thrones is that big a deal that a company like Yamato would bother linking any of its pieces to that I.P....it's probably just a coincidence.

Vallos
07-25-2012, 12:42 PM
I see... Yes, a coincidence it would be.

Onward to the statue and the subject of hair color, I am perhaps the only one that liked the way her hair is now. Although I am not opposed to the accurate color change, I liked the possibility to have a light source illuminating the hair, as in this photo. It gives her more of an ethereal feel.

http://www.artofwei.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/Yamato_Luz_Malefic_2.jpg

testsubject25
07-25-2012, 01:04 PM
Is that chick 1/6 or 1/4? Either way, looks great!

Vallos
07-25-2012, 01:07 PM
It is 1:4.

Silas Loki
07-25-2012, 02:21 PM
Guys, SHE'S UP FOR PRE-ORDER at YamatotoyUSA

The problem is, I can't get her I'm based in the UK :(

That's freaking unreal

Vallos
07-25-2012, 02:45 PM
I am going to wait a week or two before I place my order. The last two orders - Her Broken Wings and Hot Box came out with variants and I had to cancel both regulars to get them.

Do you know the reason why it won't let you? Is it only for US customers?

Silas Loki
07-25-2012, 03:21 PM
Yep, the site says it won't ship outside the US....so much for globalisation :(

Hopefully Sideshow will get some stock and I'll get it from there, or I'll be posting a begging letter on here :D

Vallos
07-25-2012, 03:30 PM
I looked at Yamato Japan, but I did not find it listed. Maybe they'll have it later on.

They also have a list of distributors on their site. Try them:

http://www.bbcw.com/product.php?productid=25530&cat=&page=1
http://www.aaaanime.com/item/Figures/693904350410.html

testsubject25
07-27-2012, 09:30 AM
It is 1:4.

Oh nice!

I always wanted a female Sephiroth. :D

Vallos
07-27-2012, 09:34 AM
I had to look that up... Yep she looks like a female version of character.

hotrodhoodrat
07-28-2012, 01:09 PM
I hope we get a limited ed.., of her.."gotta be white" hehe..:wink2: maybe some clothes that come off t :wink2::wink2:

Jayden
08-01-2012, 08:57 PM
Might want to try Most Wanted Collectibles too. not sure if they ship to the UK though.

Silas Loki
08-05-2012, 07:41 PM
WOooOOooWW Just got this dream girl on order via Sideshow...I is happy:

http://izismile.com/img/img3/20100928/1000/funny_gif_collection_28.gif

Vallos
08-05-2012, 09:35 PM
Awesome news, Silas, but you are not as happy as that kid!

Luminous
08-06-2012, 12:46 AM
This is the first statue from this line that I am considering. Came out real nice.

Drakull
08-12-2012, 04:27 PM
Too much expensive ... they are crazy if they think they can increase the price that way ...

Silas Loki
08-12-2012, 05:17 PM
Too much expensive ... they are crazy if they think they can increase the price that way ...

?!?:tumblew: seriously? To be fair on Yamato, they have gone in at what appears to be the "standard" pricing for a 1/4 statue (these days at least). Given the level of detail and realism in these pieces (if the Ritual is anything to judge by) these are a standard slightly above the norm.

I may get my ass handed to me for saying this, but comparing this statue to Sideshows recent hit, Poison Ivy, Luz Malefic knocks her out of the park....the only plus point for Poison is that she is a character with heritage so many will automatically recognise and want her. I get the feeling that Luz, like her sister Ritual, will be an unknown, under-represented star, that many collectors will never know about.

Vallos
08-13-2012, 10:11 AM
If Yamato continues to produce fine statues like Ritual, then eventually collectors will start taking notice. This of course is a double edge sword. Not enough customers will warrant the line to be discontinued. Too many customers, then higher/open edition sizes comes into play. My hopes is that enough collectors are on board to sustain a profit but keep the line going, but not so much that looses it's "underground" collectibility.

Silas Loki
08-13-2012, 11:27 AM
I know, it's crazy, 500 units for Ritual, and they still have stocks available at both Yamato and Sideshow!!

I think alot of people will be stunned that they missed somthing like this, especially folks that go shop at companies like ARHStudios and CS Moore....personally, this is way and Ritual (IMHO) are way better than the products from this companies, in both concept and finish (speculative in the case of Luz).

hotrodhoodrat
08-13-2012, 11:40 AM
?!?:tumblew: seriously? To be fair on Yamato, they have gone in at what appears to be the "standard" pricing for a 1/4 statue (these days at least). Given the level of detail and realism in these pieces (if the Ritual is anything to judge by) these are a standard slightly above the norm.

I may get my ass handed to me for saying this, but comparing this statue to Sideshows recent hit, Poison Ivy, Luz Malefic knocks her out of the park....the only plus point for Poison is that she is a character with heritage so many will automatically recognise and want her. I get the feeling that Luz, like her sister Ritual, will be an unknown, under-represented star, that many collectors will never know about.

If Yamato continues to produce fine statues like Ritual, then eventually collectors will start taking notice. This of course is a double edge sword. Not enough customers will warrant the line to be discontinued. Too many customers, then higher/open edition sizes comes into play. My hopes is that enough collectors are on board to sustain a profit but keep the line going, but not so much that looses it's "underground" collectibility.
I'm hoping Yamato continues to produce these.. (statues), for the FFG line..
I've been trying my best to buy what I like.. and most of the work that they have done.. has been awesome..
I just hope they don't take the line in a different direction.. it could turn out to kill it or make it epic IMO (!!),
but I'm one of those that don't adjust well to change !

I for one love that Yamato has kept these 1/4th scale to limited quantity otherwise their would be no end to the amounts and
the values would greatly diminish IMO going from 750-900pcs on some statues.. n' Yamato's 100-500pcs is way lower numbers !

Y3E
08-13-2012, 01:01 PM
I know, it's crazy, 500 units for Ritual, and they still have stocks available at both Yamato and Sideshow!!

I think alot of people will be stunned that they missed somthing like this, especially folks that go shop at companies like ARHStudios and CS Moore....personally, this is way and Ritual (IMHO) are way better than the products from this companies, in both concept and finish (speculative in the case of Luz).I think the reason why there are still some 1/4 Rituals left is the fault of Yamato. They should not have release a 1/6 pvc one or should have released it after the 1/4. If I did not buy the pvc verison, I would have bought the resin and I am not going to buy both or buy the resin and sell the pvc as I would have to sell it for less than what I bought it for ($170 after all taxes, shipping and fees and less than my lcs, $130). I know the resin is much better than the pvc version but it is not enough for me to buy it at $400 cdn (factoring all cost). If the resin or pvc were slightly different from one another, say color of outfit or in some way, then it would make it more attractive to me.

Vallos
08-13-2012, 01:02 PM
Another contributing factor to low sales is that most collectors purchase items based on an attachment to characters they know. While one can argue that those that buy into the Fantasy Figure collection is an attachment to the artist (as is the case with me), most will conclude the "other camp" simply overlook the source material to obtain the character, regardless of who designed the statue. As you both have pointed out, it is a shame that these fine statues, which are limited (in some cases, very limited), are being overlooked based on that. I fully understand collecting habits is purely subjective, I just find it curious that there is an overwhelming majority that collect based of having knowledge/attachment to a character and not for the art itself. This is also the case with Gentle Giant’s new Honey Trap line.

Vallos
08-13-2012, 01:15 PM
I think the reason why there are still some 1/4 Rituals left is the fault of Yamato. They should not have release a 1/6 pvc one or should have released it after the 1/4. If I did not buy the pvc verison, I would have bought the resin and I am not going to buy both or buy the resin and sell the pvc as I would have to sell it for less than what I bought it for ($170 after all taxes, shipping and fees and less than my lcs, $130). I know the resin is much better than the pvc version but it is not enough for me to buy it at $400 cdn (factoring all cost). If the resin or pvc were slightly different from one another, say color of outfit or in some way, then it would make it more attractive to me.I disagree, slightly. To me, I'm fine with them releasing different scales/materials, as I find that there are basically two types of collectors (in general). Small scale collectors (1:6 or less) and big scale collectors (1:4 and more). I just have issues with them releasing different versions in the same scale, which they did with Her Garden and Hot Box. Both of which resulted in my cancelling the regular to obtain the alternate. I really don’t like doing that because it's not fair to Yamato, but... and here is where I start to agree with what you essentially mean... They need to start announcing alternates at or around the time they announce the regulars. I used to support what Moore has done, which is announcing alternates months later, now, I find it annoying. But hey, it's their business and not mines, right? So what I do now, is wait a few weeks after they put a statue up for order to see if they announce a different version. I have yet to order Luz based on this fact.

loricstone
08-13-2012, 02:04 PM

I think alot of people will be stunned that they missed somthing like this, especially folks that go shop at companies like ARHStudios and CS Moore....personally, this is way and Ritual (IMHO) are way better than the products from this companies, in both concept and finish (speculative in the case of Luz).

While I think the face of Ritual and Luz are better than say the ARH statues, the overall composition and more interesting poses blow both Ritual and Luz out of the water. That is no disrespect to Yamato and the sculptor because in and of itself, they are phenomenal. But I will gladly take Athena and Medusa and Valkyrie w/boat version anyday over these two.

With that being said, I really want to get Ritual, but there is just too much other stuff (SS, PCS, etc.) that will consume my money.

Silas Loki
08-13-2012, 03:21 PM
While I think the face of Ritual and Luz are better than say the ARH statues, the overall composition and more interesting poses blow both Ritual and Luz out of the water. That is no disrespect to Yamato and the sculptor because in and of itself, they are phenomenal. But I will gladly take Athena and Medusa and Valkyrie w/boat version anyday over these two.

With that being said, I really want to get Ritual, but there is just too much other stuff (SS, PCS, etc.) that will consume my money.

Firstly, I re-read my post, and the grammer stinks! Teaches me to "chat" on a forum while at work....one eye over my shoulder :)

When I (tried) to say that the FFG line is better than ARH and C.S.Moore, I also mentioned it was my (humble) opinion. It was just a statement, if people agree cool, and if they don't...well, also cool.

I do want to clarify my point though. When I see promo shots (let's just discuss those prototypes because I haven't seen any of these in the flesh - so to speak) the paint apps on both ARH and C.S.Moore look, well, toy shop-y, like the paint was put on too thick.....the (IMHO) poor paint apps absolutely destroy the detail and realism of the piece and make it look like, well, a statue. The Yamato pieces the paint apps appear flawless (well, apart from Medusa at SDCC, but she don't count :D ) and that does so much to make the piece just look amazing.

Can't really talk about pose, I think pose really comes down to context, I think ARH and Yamato have gotten this correct.....IMHO, can't really say the same for C.S.Moore....

blueyell
08-14-2012, 09:52 AM

If we all order (at least all USA customers) directly from Yamato USA, their profit will increase, as they don't get as much via 3rd party retailers.

hotrodhoodrat
08-16-2012, 01:59 PM
If we all order (at least all USA customers) directly from Yamato USA, their profit will increase, as they don't get as much via 3rd party retailers.
I would buy all my stuff from them directly if they (Yamato) would give discounts on returning buyers or put coupons for those that buy their product and
made it possible to buy from them at the 3rd party cost or
even better if the faithful buyer had an opportunity to buy special/E.D. peaces at a discount prices & low editions.. like the first 50-100 it might work,
look at HCG.. they will take payment plans as well and as a bonus they offer the first 100 orders low editions.. now if the artist & sculpture signed them as a extra incentive..
I'd buy directly GUARANTIED !!
Sadly tho.. Yamato doesn't have a good Creative/Advertising department , if one at all..
IMO many company's are realizing that offering things as incentives to their buyers makes the buyers happy and make them come back for more but
we can some times find the statue from 3rd party's cheaper, than what Yamato offers.. so we save money, witch in-turn's gives us more money for the next statue.

ervyll
08-29-2012, 08:45 AM
Hi all,
I don't know how will ultimately look like Luz Malefic statue, but she certainly has great potential for those who want to repaint her.
Below version from Yamato website and the version revised by me in Gimp.
http://img580.imageshack.us/img580/6118/maleficrepaint.jpg

Vallos
08-29-2012, 08:54 AM
Yamato confirmed that the hair will be painted white. I agree with you that the skin tone should be a shade brighter.

Vallos
09-01-2012, 09:13 AM
After a convesation via email with Jeff at Yamato, they, at this time have no plans for a variant. He said it might be possible next year. So with that, I went ahead and placed my order. By the way, they have this coming out in October. So one more month!

Silas Loki
09-01-2012, 10:47 AM
To be honest, even if they did release a variant, this statue is class A all on it's own, the only question for me would be, do I get the variant as well :)

Vallos
09-01-2012, 10:55 AM
I agree, I will be quite happy with just having this one.

kangaxx
09-27-2012, 12:51 AM
ooh just got shipment notice for her!

Vallos
09-27-2012, 06:23 AM
Are you sure it's not Hot Box Limited, because that is what is shipping now. They told me Luz wont be available until mid October, the earliest.

hotrodhoodrat
10-01-2012, 04:53 PM
I wish.... I do want her... :(

kangaxx
10-09-2012, 05:23 AM
Are you sure it's not Hot Box Limited, because that is what is shipping now. They told me Luz wont be available until mid October, the earliest.

hey valos

BOOOOOMMMM!

http://i769.photobucket.com/albums/xx332/marine23b1/TK4C0336.jpg

http://i769.photobucket.com/albums/xx332/marine23b1/TK4C0335.jpg

http://i769.photobucket.com/albums/xx332/marine23b1/TK4C0340.jpg

http://i769.photobucket.com/albums/xx332/marine23b1/TK4C0338.jpg

The hair is and the jacket is detachable, so you can display her bald for the lulz.

Kinda overprice for such a generic pose in my opinion. At least with Hot Box I had so much shooting money shot photos.

blueyell
10-09-2012, 07:25 AM
Just to confirm, what colour is her hair (greyish white?) and is it transparent at all? Is the hair resin or PVC?

I just got the Hajime Sorayama - Hot Box Limited, will post pics in the next few days.

aeumuse
10-09-2012, 08:38 AM
Congrats & nice pictures kangaxx~

The overall execution looks pretty well done.

Since they gave the removable hair option...i won't be surprised if someone customises her with a doll's wig or something next time.

kangaxx
10-09-2012, 08:42 AM
Just to confirm, what colour is her hair (greyish white?) and is it transparent at all? Is the hair resin or PVC?

I just got the Hajime Sorayama - Hot Box Limited, will post pics in the next few days.

Nah, the hair isn't transparent at all. Its PVC. It's greyish white.

THANKS AEUMUSE!

Vallos
10-09-2012, 08:48 AM
hey valos

BOOOOOMMMM!

Awesome, dude. Very cool. She came out great, looks almost like the prototype. Congratulations! Us other folks will be getting chaged this week! Looking forward to it.

aeumuse
10-09-2012, 08:56 AM
Nah, the hair isn't transparent at all. Its PVC. It's greyish white.

THANKS AEUMUSE!

You're welcomed kangaxx. I reluctantly gave afew lines a miss due to upcoming commitments like hulk and supes so pictures are very much a welcome~

Silas Loki
10-09-2012, 12:29 PM
She looks awesome!! I love the pose, I'm not one of these people who needs my characters to be mid "something" or other, this pose really shows off the quality sculpting and paint apps, and that's what I buy my statues for.

I'm so glad I'm down for one of these, and I hope and pray Yamato make more statues of this calibre going into the future. Right now, when it comes to females and quality, I'm watching these guys and Gentle Giant....

Vallos
10-09-2012, 01:09 PM
... and I hope and pray Yamato make more statues of this calibre going into the future. Right now, when it comes to females and quality, I'm watching these guys and Gentle Giant....
Hear, hear!

The fantasy figure line is pretty much the one line I will not stop collecting. By the way, this is another fine sculpture from Shin Tanabe. He now has, within this line, Black Tinkerbell, Ritual (both resin and PVC), and now Luz. Each one is a masterful work of art!

blueyell
10-09-2012, 05:26 PM
Where did you order it from?

hey valos

BOOOOOMMMM!

kangaxx
10-09-2012, 10:52 PM
Where did you order it from?

www.amiami.com

Bad news guys, she doesn't scale well with Hot Box.

http://i769.photobucket.com/albums/xx332/marine23b1/TK4C0360.jpg

hotrodhoodrat
10-11-2012, 02:28 PM
[QUOTE=kangaxx;4427941]www.amiami.com

Bad news guys, she doesn't scale well with Hot Box.

I winder tho how she fares to Ritual ?? :vortex:

So far.... I think shes almost as good as Medusa :drooling:

Vallos
10-11-2012, 03:41 PM
Since this was sclupted by Shin, this will pair up perfectly (or should) with Ritual. I plan to display Hot Box with Sexy Robot, both based from Hajime Sorayama paintings.

BeastX
10-12-2012, 12:38 AM
Since this was sclupted by Shin, this will pair up perfectly (or should) with Ritual. I plan to display Hot Box with Sexy Robot, both based from Hajime Sorayama paintings.
But different sculptors.. so I'd say not a good pairing..

Vallos
10-12-2012, 08:52 AM
Perhaps, but I'm grouping them by source material and not by scupltors. Regardless, does it really matter if the sculptors are different? It's a robot paired with a human. That is like saying, a display of Luke and R2D2 would not pair up right because they were sclupted by different people.

BeastX
10-13-2012, 08:46 AM
^ Different people tend to sculpt at different scale.

Vallos
10-13-2012, 02:20 PM
Sorry, I assumed you were referring to all things being equal.

victory
10-13-2012, 08:13 PM
Really looking forward to receiving this one and crossing my figures will soon get an indication of what is next in this 1/4 scale line.

blueyell
10-15-2012, 12:50 PM
Is there any WIP or previews for whats next in this line?

Really looking forward to receiving this one and crossing my figures will soon get an indication of what is next in this 1/4 scale line.

Vallos
10-15-2012, 03:15 PM
None that I have seen.

victory
10-23-2012, 06:03 PM
Got my shipping notice from BBTS today. Should have my Luz in the coming days.

Vallos
10-24-2012, 09:11 AM
I received my Luz... Another well produced product. Yamato is really earning my trust! I'll post pictures tomorrow, if not today.

blueyell
10-24-2012, 12:41 PM
I received my Luz... Another well produced product. Yamato is really earning my trust! I'll post pictures tomorrow, if not today.

I received mine directly from Yamato USA a couple of days ago. Unfortunately, in-between her breasts is smeared black paint (see attached picture), which I gather is from the painting of her clothes as I can't think of anyway this would happen during shipping. This really shouldn't have passed the QA at the factory, and it was simple to repair at the factory, ie, repaint in-between her breasts. I'm shipping it back for a replacement statue. Jeff from Yamato USA is always great about replacements and customer service.

federico
10-24-2012, 10:47 PM
This piece is absolutely fantastic, but the price is little high. Can someone please post the bald head pic? thanks

Vallos
10-25-2012, 09:07 AM
My apologies for the poor photos quality, as they will not reflect how magnificent this statue is in person. After putting her together (base, cape, arm, sword, two hair pieces), I got that giddy school kid feeling and starting marveling at it. It was the same feeling I had when I received Ritual. Then I put the two together and I really lit up. Awesome experience. Shin Tanabe is simply masterful. I hope Yamato keeps this guy employed!

http://i789.photobucket.com/albums/yy177/Carcosa/WP_000563.jpg
http://i789.photobucket.com/albums/yy177/Carcosa/WP_000570.jpg
http://i789.photobucket.com/albums/yy177/Carcosa/WP_000571.jpg
http://i789.photobucket.com/albums/yy177/Carcosa/WP_000564.jpghttp://i789.photobucket.com/albums/yy177/Carcosa/WP_000565.jpg
http://i789.photobucket.com/albums/yy177/Carcosa/WP_000566.jpghttp://i789.photobucket.com/albums/yy177/Carcosa/WP_000567.jpg
http://i789.photobucket.com/albums/yy177/Carcosa/WP_000568.jpg

blueyell
10-25-2012, 11:07 AM
I received mine directly from Yamato USA a couple of days ago. Unfortunately, in-between her breasts is smeared black paint (see attached picture), which I gather is from the painting of her clothes as I can't think of anyway this would happen during shipping. This really shouldn't have passed the QA at the factory, and it was simple to repair at the factory, ie, repaint in-between her breasts. I'm shipping it back for a replacement statue. Jeff from Yamato USA is always great about replacements and customer service.

Am I being too picky? For the price, I would expect no smeared black paint. What do you think? Should I just ask them to send me the paint and brush to do it myself? I would have to pay return shipping, which is $60 from Canada.

Vallos
10-25-2012, 11:20 AM
You can't ask anyone to critique your preferences, Blue. If you find it annoying, then it is annoying. However, before you send it back, mine also has the "smeared" black paint, so you have to consider that most, if not all statues will have this "smudge". I do not find this to be a big deal. To me, it is not evident unless you look for it, which is what I did when I read your post, and even then, it does't take away from my enjoyment. When contacting Jeff (I agree, great guy), ask him if all the statues have the "smudge".

blueyell
10-25-2012, 12:28 PM
You can't ask anyone to critique your preferences, Blue. If you find it annoying, then it is annoying. However, before you send it back, mine also has the "smeared" black paint, so you have to consider that most, if not all statues will have this "smudge". I do not find this to be a big deal. To me, it is not evident unless you look for it, which is what I did when I read your post, and even then, it does't take away from my enjoyment. When contacting Jeff (I agree, great guy), ask him if all the statues have the "smudge".

If you could take a picture of the breasts from a top angle, I would very much appreciate. If not, no problem, its a lot to ask.

Vallos
10-25-2012, 12:41 PM
It's not a problem. I'll do so when I get home.

kangaxx
10-25-2012, 10:32 PM
dang..
i now feel like dumping the 1/8 scale Ritual for the 1/4.

I blame you Vallos.

Vallos
10-25-2012, 11:54 PM
Go big, or go home! :thumbs2:

Vallos
10-26-2012, 08:25 AM
Blue, I got home very late, and I was tired, but I managed to get you a photo - albeit a lousy one. The poor lighting and my weariness were the culprit. I'll get a better one for you soon.

http://i789.photobucket.com/albums/yy177/Carcosa/WP_000578.jpg

blueyell
10-26-2012, 11:38 AM
Blue, I got home very late, and I was tired, but I managed to get you a photo - albeit a lousy one. The poor lighting and my weariness were the culprit. I'll get a better one for you soon.

Thanks. Jeff emailed me back. He looked at another one and it had a similar flaw. He suggested using wax to wipe off the paint. He said if that didn't work, he would try to find one that is less flawed. I emailed him again to explain how to do the waxing.

I might mail mine back and ask for a replacement, only because this is such a great statue, top 3 in my collection of about 20 PF statues. I also buy directly from Yamato USA so they get the retail cut too. I have 6 Yamato USA statues, all from the fantasy line. I'm a big supporter of Yamato USA.

Vallos
10-26-2012, 01:22 PM
That is good to hear, Blue. I love this company as well, and right now they have my continued support. Jeff is fantastic. Luz is my second favorite. Ritual being the first.

blueyell
10-26-2012, 01:58 PM
That is good to hear, Blue. I love this company as well, and right now they have my continued support. Jeff is fantastic. Luz is my second favorite. Ritual being the first.

Ritual is amazing. Luz would be number 1 if the hair was better, perhaps resin.

hotrodhoodrat
10-27-2012, 10:51 AM

Congrats blueye.. !! :buttrock::buttrock:

She's sweet as heck, sorry to hear a bought the smear.. but over all she looks great !
You know if you send her back.. your edition number will change :eek:
Lower number would be great.. but its a risk IMO.. If she's low.. more than likely you'll get a higher number :(
I hope/wish you luck ! :praying: for ya :)

ThX much Vallos.. for posting a pic of Ritual w/her.. I now know what they look like together :thumbs2::thumbs2:

3stun
10-27-2012, 12:59 PM
Hello everyone,
On Yamato site it says Luz Malefic has a Numbered Display Base, meaning it's a limited edition statue. However, I could not find any information about the edition size.
Vallos, blueyell, do you have Numbered Display Bases with you statues? What ES do they show?

Vallos
10-27-2012, 03:24 PM
I did not even pay attention to that statement. No it is not on the base. As is the case with all the 1:4 scale statues, they are numbered on the name plate. The edition size is 600.

blueyell
10-31-2012, 08:40 AM
Yamato USA posted this on facebook:

"There was some issue with the Malefic regarding black paint in between her breasts. No need to worry you can simply wipe it off with silk and wax. Just don't push too hard. Halloween is officially tomorrow have a wonderful night and becareful when you go out."

Silas Loki
10-31-2012, 09:44 AM
Gotta love this company :D I may have to dig deep and pick up a second one of Luz, awesome piece :)

hotrodhoodrat
11-04-2012, 03:03 PM
Congrats Silas.. Wonderful peace.. what addition number ?

Silas Loki
11-04-2012, 03:57 PM
She hasn't turned up yet :D I bought mine through Sideshow because nobody outside the US was selling her. Now I know I can get one through a European store I'm kinda thinking I need to go 2 for 2 :D

How freaking sad! One in the box and one in the cabinet :D

BeastX
11-04-2012, 11:31 PM
dang..
i now feel like dumping the 1/8 scale Ritual for the 1/4.

I blame you Vallos.

Just to point-out the the Ritual PVC is 1/6 scale.

victory
11-06-2012, 08:24 PM
Well, had the day off and the place to myself so it was a good day to unpack Luz. This is a great statue but I do have some issues and wonder if others experienced the same. The sword seems too long. The sword is longer than the distance from her hand to the base causing the sword to bend. Also, I had difficulty placing her first layer of hair firmly in place because of the cape collar. Anyone else have any of these issues?

victory
11-06-2012, 08:33 PM
Here is a pic of the sword.

Vallos
11-07-2012, 09:56 AM
I had to play around with mine to get it not to bend. I simply pushed the hilt up as far as it can go and positioned the tip of the blade towards the edge of the base just behind her left foot. That worked for me. It may not work for you since every statue has it's own nuances, so I suggest trying to adjust it as much as possible to get what you want.

blueyell
11-07-2012, 09:57 AM
Here is a pic of the sword.

My sword was fine.

victory
11-07-2012, 09:34 PM
Thanks the input guys. After spending a fustrating hour, I have it positioned as best as I can with a slight bend in the sword. All in all, still an outstanding statue.

hotrodhoodrat
11-11-2012, 11:22 AM
Well, had the day off and the place to myself so it was a good day to unpack Luz. This is a great statue but I do have some issues and wonder if others experienced the same. The sword seems too long. The sword is longer than the distance from her hand to the base causing the sword to bend. Also, I had difficulty placing her first layer of hair firmly in place because of the cape collar. Anyone else have any of these issues?
Congrats... a Amazing peace :thumbs2:

She hasn't turned up yet :D I bought mine through Sideshow because nobody outside the US was selling her. Now I know I can get one through a European store I'm kinda thinking I need to go 2 for 2 :D

How freaking sad! One in the box and one in the cabinet :D
:jawd: OMG... your kidding.. two... I hate you..LOL.. not really.. :D but I must say.. you lucky dog :tongue:
Hell I'll take one LOL.. if one of them get old LOL :rimshot:

Silas Loki
11-28-2012, 04:48 PM
Well, Luz arrived, all the way from Sideshow. Here's my opinions :D

The piece is very well sculpted, and certainly, when you see pieces like this you really have to wonder about the validity of Sideshows PF (with real cloth) range. I'm certainly a fan of sculpted clothing now, 100%. I also prefer that the clothing is non removeable. I thought that made Ritual a bit of a perv toy, and if it wasn't for the excellent execution of that piece I would have given it a miss.

The paint apps are really good. I must admit though, the piece came to me in less than perfect condition. I had the dark "shadow" in the cleavage, which I'm not too bothered about, but there is a really small chip? miss paint? on her lower lip. It's really hard to spot unless up close, but it is there! There was also a light grey paint smudge on her back. Now to be fair, once her cloak is on, you likely won't see it, but, it's still there.

The cloak came to me broken!!!! I can fix it, but that's not the point. This aspect really pi$$ed me off, if they know how delicate these things are, then create packaging that is appropriate for shipping. This broken cloak has really ruined the overal joy of owning this piece, it feels like damaged goods, and to be fair, it is. I'm not sure who to blame, and I probably won't be putting in a claim at Sideshow, too much hassle, especially with me being based over in the UK. This is the first time I've had a broken piece from Sideshow, so I'm not going to have a hissy fit, but I will think twice about ordering a Yamato piece from the US in the future. Sideshow's own brand packaging is 100% better than what Yamato supplies.

I've tried to piece her together, OMG this is the hardest statue I've ever had to build. There's no instructions for how the cloak stays on, and given how fragile this piece is, I was reluctant to try to be bold about it :D added to that, I couldn't get the top piece of hair to fit into the top of her head...AT ALL

Overal, she's a lovely piece. The things mentioned above are enough for me not to persue getting a second :) and I will most likely halt my Yamato buys on Luz. Not just because of the defects seen on this statue, but also because at the moment the line is very eratic in scale and theme, so I can comfortably focus on other lines that interest me.

I would recommend this piece only if you can get a look at the statue first (I know, very difficult for most). Perhaps the biggest problem would be the fit and finish of parts. I may have to fettle her in places to get things to fit, and for the price I really shouldn't have to....no doubt if I wait I can get a garage kit for a fraction of the price and can fettle that to my hearts content :D

I would post pictures, but you guys have really seen the best versions already, my photos wouldn't add anything positive to the discussion ;)

blueyell
11-28-2012, 06:55 PM
I like her without the cape. You really need to decide if you want the cape on or off prior to putting on the cape, as the cape leaves marks on her arm and back.

My cape too arrived with a small piece broken off, easy fix.

victory
11-28-2012, 09:44 PM
Mine also arrived with a broken cloak. It was broken at the collar. I contacted Yamato directly. They have great customer service and I have a new cloak expected to arrive shortly.

Silas Loki
11-29-2012, 03:47 AM
Wow, so "many" broken cloaks. If I'm honest, I wasn't 100% sure it wasn't my fault. I'm always super gentle when removing statue pieces from their packaging, but when I removed the cloak it seemed to disintegrate in the plastic bag, which either means the claok was already broken or they produced it so lamely in the first place that it was just a matter of time before it broke anyway.

Still a lovely piece, but too much fettling required to get it display worthy may mean it spends the rest of its days in Warehouse 13. Still, onwards and upwards....GG Honey Trap....don't let me down :D

Vallos
11-29-2012, 09:43 AM
It is unfortunate to hear of the mishaps, guys. Since my cloak came in solid, I do wonder what could have caused it to be so fragile for you guys. I'm inclined to believe that a batch of cloaks were not filled up to capacity in the mold and thus came out weak. Like I said, my cloak is solid with a significant amount of weight. So much so, that due to the way it hangs on the statue, I thought it would easily fall off. Thankfully, that hasn't happened. I do agree that the assembly with the hair is cumbersome, but it wasn't bad enough for me to bemoan the process. I did consider leaving the cloak off because the buttocks is so nicely sculpted, it would be a shame to cover it up. Nevertheless, I opted to display it with the cloak and have a mirror placed behind it, and with lights the backside can be seen, since the cloak does not cover it up completely. Again, I'm sorry to hear of your bad tidings, especially from you Silas. Don't give up on Yamato just yet.

blueyell
11-29-2012, 12:03 PM
Mine also arrived with a broken cloak. It was broken at the collar. I contacted Yamato directly. They have great customer service and I have a new cloak expected to arrive shortly.

My arrived broken at the collar too.

blueyell
11-29-2012, 12:05 PM
Well, Luz arrived, all the way from Sideshow. Here's my opinions :D

I disagree with Yamato providing bad packaging in general. I bought 4 resin statues from them, all great packaging even though my collar on the cape arrived broken.

I agree the lack of instructions was bad in the case of this statue.

This statue is in my top 3 favourates in my collection.

derekrodneysim
11-29-2012, 12:22 PM
Oh wow. I never saw this. They're beautiful! Can I still get them? I love how they don't have exaggerated knockers.

Silas Loki
11-29-2012, 12:30 PM
Just so nobody is getting me wrong, Luz is a really good piece. I think it's only fair to mention some of the negative points, so that others can get a balanced view of what's happening.

There will always be lemons out there, we all know that. Plus, until I mentioned I had a broken cloak nobody had come forward to say they had that problem. At least anyone buying the statue now, knows to look out for these things. I think that is the strength of this forum, that we can share these things and help others to navigate their purchases based on our experiences.

If Yamato bring out a super duper sculpt in the future, I will wait until to purchase from a European vendor, preferably in my own country, just for ease of any returns or complaints.

I'm not and have no intention of Boycotting Yamato :) but these statues aren't cheap, and I want to focus on other producers now, like GG. That sentiment is a seperate point, not really connected with the "issues" I've had with Luz.

Vallos
11-29-2012, 01:35 PM
Oh wow. I never saw this. They're beautiful! Can I still get them? I love how they don't have exaggerated knockers.
Yes, Yamato still has more in stock. However, like Silas (who does make a good point for Non-USA residence), you may want to look locally, or even Yamato Japan, to avoid the arduous task of returning a defective statue. How do you handle returns from Sideshow, Derek?

midnightjack
12-09-2012, 06:25 AM
I normally just lurk,but had to add my two cents.
This is a great looking statue,but....
My cloak arrived broken in the box,too. Three pieces were broken off of it at the top.
Yamato sent a replacement but they shipped it very badly.
It had a little bubble wrap in the box-too little-and a piece of silk like material wrapped around the cloak.
It was still mostly loose in the box,so UPS played football with it and it arrived with SIX pieces broken off it!:banghead:
It had fragile stickers in six places on top and had it handwritten on both sides,too.
UPS must have taken that as a challenge.
They sent a second replacement,this time packaged properly so it couldn't move about in the box and I thought my troubles were over.
They sent it to the place I purchased,though,instead of me(they sent the first one to me!),so the retailer had to send it to me after THEY received it.
A two week wait to get it,all in all.
You have to hold the cloak on her and put in the bottom hair attachment on the back of the head-this is the primary thing holding the cloak in place,before putting the top hair piece on to finish.
The top of the cloak is so brittle,though,the corner of the cloak snapped off before I could get the hair in place.
I was being very gentle after all my troubles,but SNAP! :waah:
The cloak is very heavy,you have to hold it in place or it will just fall right off her.
It would have been nice if Yamato put a note in;hold the cloak at the bottom,where it is very sturdy.
They could have made the cloak lighter,too.
I asked about another replacement from the place I purchased it,but they said I might as well forget it and just fix it.
I at least have only one broken piece on this one,but it will still be broken and I will always know it is broken.
The cloak was badly designed and badly manufactured.
Even though Yamato sent two replacements,this will still stop me from getting anything else from them,at least until this is a dim memory.
It might take a while for that to happen.

Vallos
12-09-2012, 04:02 PM
That is the definition of "worst experience". This would deter me from doing business with Yamato as well. I'm sorry to hear this, Jack.

victory
12-09-2012, 09:27 PM
Sorry to hear of your experience midnight and now consider myself lucky. I received my replacement cloak and did note the poor packaging but luckly no damage.

3stun
12-10-2012, 05:32 AM
Sorry to hear of your bad experience with this one, guys.
I've received mine almost 1 month ago from an american retailer through ebay, and despite the long way to Eastern Europe, it arrived in perfect condition (thank you dear Lord!). The Yamato box was simply inside another cardboard box, without additional protection, but Yamato packaging was decent enough to keep everything safe. Also no problems with assembling, although during my first attempt I put the hair pieces before the cloak, only to find out you cannot put the cloak on when hair is already installed. Had to disassemble and start from the beginning... Must admit she looks great without the cloak as well, and some may prefer to display her like that.
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8210/8196552446_63e741f901_c.jpg
The cloak on mine seems sturdy and rests upon Luz's shoulders, the lower hair piece doesn't seem to hold it.
For those, who might try to wipe the black paint between her breats - be careful, because the paint goes off easily. Actually this black part doesn't spoil her at all, on the contrary - serves as a shade, giving her more three-dimensional and realistic look. I think the skin painting is one of my favourite things in this piece, looks very life-like with transition from pale to muddy-looking. I have Sweet Pea by Gentle Giant next to her and although she wins over Luz in amount of details on the outfit (not quality - in this regard both are top-notch), I must admit Luz wins in paint job, especially skin.

The face is another magnificent part of this mind-blowing statue. One of the most realistic-looking statue faces. Yamato even sculpted her teeth... unbelievable.
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8349/8196552380_e6a6f62664_c.jpg

Her outfit might lack the amount of details on some other statues, but looks very realistic, thanks to the folds on the top (or whatever the upper part of her costume should be called). I also like her gloves, which is perhaps the most intricate and detailed part of the outfit. Each finger has 4 metal pieces tied together with threads - everything is sculpted, of course. The sword is as close as possible to the original artwork, although I wish it was made of metal (like Sweet Pea's sword), not plastic. The base looks like cracked asphalt or concrete, creating a post-apocalyptic atmosphere and not distracting from the statue.

I'm only about a year in statue collecting, but Luz is easily among the top 3 female statues I've seen, both on photos and in person.
Congratulations, Yamato! Many thanks for this amazing piece of art.
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8341/8195458275_e85db05bc5_c.jpg http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8344/8195458691_5a42be1fed_c.jpg http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8206/8195459383_5773748e42_c.jpg http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8481/8195459205_361495a4b7_c.jpg

3stun
08-07-2013, 02:38 AM
Cool opportunity (http://www.ebay.com/itm/161077785404?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649) to get this amazing statue at a very good price.

Vallos
08-07-2013, 08:46 AM
Cool... however, there is an alternate battle damaged version coming soon (also with Ritual Gypsy Version). Some may want to hold off on that. Nevertheless, the original version is my second favorite statue so no one can't go wrong with that... especially at that price!

3stun
08-07-2013, 09:40 AM
alternate battle damaged version coming soon (also with Ritual Gypsy Version)
Now that is some good news, Vallos! Thank you a lot, any details?

the original version is my second favorite statue
What is the first one? Don't say it's Ritual :)))

Vallos
08-07-2013, 09:58 AM
No details yet on the alternate versions... and yes, Ritual is my favorite! :thumbs2:

victory
08-07-2013, 09:55 PM
Cool... however, there is an alternate battle damaged version coming soon (also with Ritual Gypsy Version).

Wow. Didn't see these variants coming. The interesting thing is as I was going through the thread on the upcoming Lilith, I thought to myself I could see them making a white variant of Lilith. Never expected them to revisit Luz or Ritual. Please pass on whatever info when you can.

Vallos
08-07-2013, 10:24 PM
I actually hate it when they announce variants well after the original was released. It robs me from making a choice.

Silas Loki
08-08-2013, 12:27 PM
I actually hate it when they announce variants well after the original was released. It robs me from making a choice.

What choice?!? Everyone knows you have to have them all :)

Vallos
08-08-2013, 12:31 PM
Hahaha... In a perfect world, my friend, in a perfect world.

3stun
08-11-2013, 05:34 AM
I'm actually surprised Yamato are pushing new versions of the statues not yet sold out on their site. Perhaps these would just be repainted versions of the same base sculpt. This way they can cut costs and earn higher margins. I don't blame them, though - the FFG line deserves much more attention than it has now, so if they earn some money to keep the line alive and finance some new statues, I'm for it!
But I also understand you, guys. Possibility of a version release after the initial statue makes it smart playing the waiting game with the future statues.

Xaerius
09-18-2013, 10:54 PM
New sculpts after release, as they are doing with the Gypsy Ritual and Battle-Damaged Luz (assuming they are different sculpts and not just repaints) are definitely not as big a deal as simply a paint colour change with a low ES...as in Malefic Lilith. I could see myself possibly getting the variant sculpts but having two statues that are the same but different colours seems to be a little bit much, especially considering all the great pieces coming out over the next year.

Vallos
09-19-2013, 11:22 AM
Well, lets look at this more closely. What will make Ritual a gypsy? The clothing, correct? Since Ritual's clothing is removable, it was never part of the sculpture.Thus, I think they will sculpt an entirely new set of clothing on the same figure sculpt mold. With Luz, it is entirely different. The clothing is part of the sculpt and to achieve the "battle damage" look, I can see them changing the sculpt mold a bit to accomplish this. Then again, they could simply just apply the damaged look to the cape, a separate sculpture, and be done with it.

Xaerius
09-20-2013, 09:08 PM
To me, "ritual" already looks like a gypsy and I'm not sure what they'd be trying to accomplish by simply re-releasing the same statue with different clothes, especially since they are now producing another run of the original 1:4. I don't have the original but it is on my wishlist. If I had the choice to purchase the original or the new gypsy clothing (even if the gypsy looks better), I'd probably still go with the original simply because it was very true to the original artwork (except for the huge legs that Tanabe tends to sculpt - I don't know how he sees such huge legs from those original paintings).

Since I already have the original, if the Battle-Damaged Luz is the same as the original statue but with damaged armor, I will not bother with that one either. I realize that the ES on those will likely be far lower than the originals so they will still likely sell out so I suppose it doesn't really matter anyway. :)

I suppose I was just really wanting a REAL variant of the statue where it was significantly different and possibly improved on the original sculpt...maybe have her work out more so those legs can get toned. LOL.

Vallos
11-14-2013, 01:36 PM
Battle Damage Luz. This one makes much more sense than the Gypsy Ritual. It seems there is a cast off clothing option, and the base is better than the original in my opinion. I would have gotten this one instead of the original had it been announced along side each other.

http://www.yamatotoysusa.com/page.cfm/1099

https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn2/1084940_639878569388507_696278986_o.jpg

https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/1421111_639878782721819_144103234_o.jpg

blueyell
11-14-2013, 07:02 PM
Battle Damage Luz. This one makes much more sense than the Gypsy Ritual. It seems there is a cast off clothing option, and the base is better than the original in my opinion. I would have gotten this one instead of the original had it been announced along side each other.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn2/1084940_639878569388507_696278986_o.jpg

https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/1421111_639878782721819_144103234_o.jpg

The original is probably my favourate statue. I am buying this one too.

Vallos
11-21-2013, 10:46 PM
The battle damage version edition size is 40!

3stun
11-23-2013, 05:16 AM
Looks like they've added cast-off breast plates?
Like this variant more than Ritual, just like you guys.

I don't think I would change my original Luz for this one, but have to admit the variant is closer to prototype (check the pic below) and perhaps her face (especially the eyes) looks cooler. Don't like the scars&blood on the body and clothes though, makes her look messy and distracts from the beautiful sculpt.

By the way, some EU online stores have the variant on pre-order and ES is 150 (same as Lilith variant). They could be mistaken though.

http://nocturnamodels.com/img/p/44-132-zoom.jpg

blueyell
11-25-2013, 01:17 PM
Looks like they've added cast-off breast plates?
Like this variant more than Ritual, just like you guys.

I don't think I would change my original Luz for this one, but have to admit the variant is closer to prototype (check the pic below) and perhaps her face (especially the eyes) looks cooler. Don't like the scars&blood on the body and clothes though, makes her look messy and distracts from the beautiful sculpt.

By the way, some EU online stores have the variant on pre-order and ES is 150 (same as Lilith variant). They could be mistaken though.

http://nocturnamodels.com/img/p/44-132-zoom.jpg

Maybe Yamato USA gets 40, but world wide is 150.

3stun
02-08-2014, 06:20 AM
Battle damaged Luz is ready to enter your collections (http://www.ebay.com/itm/Luis-Royo-Malefic-Time-Luz-Battle-Damage-Version-/181318972198)!
Looks like Yamato started their own shop on eBay.

blueyell
02-10-2014, 01:02 PM
I bought the Damaged Luz Malefic edition. I will post pics soon. I like the original better. In the Damaged Luz Malefic edition, I didn't like it that her clothes were lighter brown. Also, some of the paint applied to her clothes to make her look damaged look like snow flakes or almost like ashes from fire. Using paint to add ashes from fire (or wore clothing) just doesn't look right. Besides that, she is beautiful, and I like the more skin showing, naturally.

Vallos
02-10-2014, 01:51 PM
Looking forward to the photos.

jaguargod
02-10-2014, 03:34 PM
I bought the Damaged Luz Malefic edition. I will post pics soon. I like the original better. In the Damaged Luz Malefic edition, I didn't like it that her clothes were lighter brown. Also, some of the paint applied to her clothes to make her look damaged look like snow flakes or almost like ashes from fire. Using paint to add ashes from fire (or wore clothing) just doesn't look right. Besides that, she is beautiful, and I like the more skin showing, naturally.

Congrats on your purchase. I am still trying to track down an original for a decent price. I just didn't like the blood on the damaged version. It seemed to take away from the statue. And I am fine with statues that have a designed cast-off clothing feature, but when it is designed after the fact, I don't think it ever looks right.

blueyell
02-10-2014, 07:34 PM
And I am fine with statues that have a designed cast-off clothing feature, but when it is designed after the fact, I don't think it ever looks right.

You're completely right, it's kinda half-ass compared to the breasts of the Ritual Statue which was designed from the start.

3stun
03-15-2014, 06:04 AM
So has anyone purchased the Damaged version? Looking forward to some photos.

blueyell
03-17-2014, 12:37 PM
So has anyone purchased the Damaged version? Looking forward to some photos.

Enjoy.

Vallos
03-17-2014, 03:47 PM
Awesome statue. I am not particularly pleased with the blood splatter, and the bare chest, but that eyeliner and blood spill down her eyes is quite alluring. Fantastic. I wish the original had that effect! Congratulations!

Outhsider
03-17-2014, 04:34 PM
She looks great but I don't like the blood tears on her face.

DaveG
09-30-2014, 07:09 PM
Enjoy.
Blueyell... Does the damaged version offer a cover-up for the bare chest? if yes, could you provide a photo comparing the two statues but without the bare chest?

Thanks!
Dave

blueyell
10-01-2014, 12:31 PM
Blueyell... Does the damaged version offer a cover-up for the bare chest? if yes, could you provide a photo comparing the two statues but without the bare chest?

Thanks!
Dave

It does, see the 3 pic here:

I'm not sure where my covers are, so I can't post a nice pic.

blueyell
10-20-2014, 10:25 AM

Thanks!
Dave

One pic without the bare chest

ukshaun
10-22-2014, 06:19 PM
Like Battle Damage Luz more than the original. Ritual, the original looks better than the blood splattered variant. So tempted to obtain a Battle Damage Luz, but they appear to be mega bucks, atleast on ebay :(

blueyell
10-23-2014, 08:11 AM
Like Battle Damage Luz more than the original. Ritual, the original looks better than the blood splattered variant. So tempted to obtain a Battle Damage Luz, but they appear to be mega bucks, atleast on ebay :(

No need to go to ebay. Yamato has it in stock:

ukshaun
10-23-2014, 11:25 AM
No need to go to ebay. Yamato has it in stock:

Thanks.
Then there's the shipping to the Uk

richardandtracy
10-23-2014, 11:28 AM
The problem, I fear, is that Yamato USA doesn't seem to export from the US - certainly not to Europe even if it does to Canada.
Now, I may have misunderstood their website - I hope I have - but I don't think so.

Regards,

Richard.

Silas Loki
10-23-2014, 12:32 PM
The problem, I fear, is that Yamato USA doesn't seem to export from the US - certainly not to Europe even if it does to Canada.
Now, I may have misunderstood their website - I hope I have - but I don't think so.

Regards,

Richard.

I think you're correct.

blueyell
10-23-2014, 12:35 PM
@#

Silas Loki
10-23-2014, 03:45 PM
@#

Teldil
09-06-2015, 02:58 PM
Just got this statue. (battle version)
I received two sets of hair in the box....one which is the complete hair and another piece which looks like the bottom half of her hair only, and is more straight (not blowing in the wind like the normal hair).

She also has another hole behind her head, seems like it is meant for this second hair piece....but....what is the point of this second hair piece? you cannot possibly use it alone as that would make her half bald.

Any ideas?!

Thanks!

Vallos
09-15-2015, 04:14 PM
Do you mind providing a photo.

Teldil
09-16-2015, 05:30 PM
Do you mind providing a photo.

Sure:

http://i.imgur.com/MFe6hg7.jpg

built2shred
09-16-2015, 06:30 PM
Maybe that's for down below when you remove the cast off clothes :)

richardandtracy
09-17-2015, 06:44 AM
I think one of the ^(&^*£" re-casters may actually help here. If you take a look at this link: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Luz-Malefic-Fantasy-Girl-New-2013-Luis-Royo-1-4-Unpainted-Figure-Model-Resin-Kit-/310941487872?hash=item48658e9300 then look at the parts picture. There are three layers of hair at the back, and your loose piece corresponds to the top right and top left transparent pieces. It appears your separate piece is the middle and bottom layers of hair glued together, and either clips in or should be glued in before the piece that covers the top of her head.

If it's not clear how to assemble it, my suggestion is that you contact your retailer and yell for help. The model is too precious to risk damaging.

Regards,

Richard.

Teldil
09-17-2015, 04:45 PM
I finally managed to get it right! I didn't realize she was missing "more hair" at the back...lol.
It seemed totally fine without the extra hair piece, but I guess now her hair looks "fuller".

I didn't think it would fit underneath the main hair piece but apparently it fits just fine :)

Thanks!

richardandtracy
09-18-2015, 03:31 AM
Glad it worked out.
Your version looks much more interesting than the standard, and it would be a shame not to have it as good as it can be.

Regards,

Richard.

dechirico7
10-22-2015, 12:33 AM
I would like to get this piece eventually. And I would prefer the battle version with blood.