PDA

View Full Version : Need Lessons on Landing Art from SDCC...

Teague
07-21-2005, 01:21 AM
...I went to SDCC this year, and had a blast...but the original art I see you guys scoring here makes me think I missed something major! The only stuff I got was from Frank Cho (in his sketchbook), a Phil Foglio (longtime fan of his stuff), and one from Rebecca Guay, who does illos for children's books (got this one for my daughters). A decent haul, especially considering that I couldn't spend the thousands that I hear some of you guys did, but still...how do you get these?

I'm hoping to go to SDCC again next year....any advice? Thanks.

sketch515
07-21-2005, 10:26 AM
preview night!!!, signing schedules!!

Collection King 13
07-21-2005, 01:11 PM
Most of them you can go to each day... the best days are Thurs, Fri, and Sunday... You also should look up which artist you are interested in and find their table so you know where they are and you can get on the list... Some artist are quick like Ron Lim... He usually can push out dynamic pieces in about 10 minutes per character... sometimes less! :buttrock:

Teague
07-21-2005, 05:59 PM

Ah, that's part of it, anyhow. I missed preview night completely--we didn't arrive until late afternoon Thursday.

I saw the huge lines for signings at the DC booths, etc, but didn't want to wait in the lines. Is that pretty much what you have to do? And is that why the lines are so long? Because even the fastest guy is taking 10 minutes to do a sketch? Or is that a different thing?

galactus
07-21-2005, 08:54 PM
Ah, that's part of it, anyhow. I missed preview night completely--we didn't arrive until late afternoon Thursday.

I saw the huge lines for signings at the DC booths, etc, but didn't want to wait in the lines. Is that pretty much what you have to do? And is that why the lines are so long? Because even the fastest guy is taking 10 minutes to do a sketch? Or is that a different thing?

I guess it really depends on what you mean by getting a "sketch"? Do you want a quick, 30 second doodle? Do you want to pay for something a little nicer? Or are you wanting to really put some money into something that they'll need to do at home and send to you?

Much of it depends on what the artists offers to do for you (and if you know the artists at all). Some peoples free sketches are better than other peoples paid commissions.