PDA

View Full Version : How to Clean Attakus Statues

DeathStar99
07-21-2005, 05:34 PM
Hello,
I been lurking here in the shawdows for a while and now decided to join, this is my first post. My question is I just bought a brand new Attakus Vader 2 statue. When taking it out of the box it was a little dusty for the shipping materials I also got finger frints on the shiney part of the helmet.I'm buying a semi dust proof display case for my figures but would like to clean them real good before installing them in the case what do you recommend?. Thanks Greg :confused:

Wooktroop
07-21-2005, 05:38 PM
you need some cotton gloves for future moves
not sure on the cleaners. im sure someone here can help though.Oh and welcome / congrats on the vader :)

Gir
07-21-2005, 09:33 PM
I would dust it off with a brand new, soft paintbrush. Then I would use a soft cotton cloth and a little bit of water to wipe it down. Chemicals could damage the paint.

You might want to wait for some more responses, but I have heard that the above approach is the safest.

cap70
07-22-2005, 01:34 AM
Congratulations on Vader 2. It's an amazing statue! :thumbs2:
It's not easy trying to remove the skin oils on the statue if you touch them, principally if it's black (like Vader, Maul, Emperor). Same goes for the Attakus bases. I use a quality microfiber cloth(same one I use on my photo/video equipment to clean my lenses) and a soft "make up" brush to clean them when it's needed. And I handle them with the same cloth if I need to move. Most of the statues are covered now, tough. Makes my life much easier.

DeathStar99
07-22-2005, 01:54 AM
Thanks for all your replies i got a nice finger print right on the top or vaders helmet.Does the shiney areas scratch easy? I really dont want to do something stupid which is possible with me. Greg

cap70
07-22-2005, 01:58 AM
Thanks for all your replies i got a nice finger print right on the top or vaders helmet.Does the shiney areas scratch easy? I really dont want to do something stupid which is possible with me. Greg

Use a quality microfiber cloth to do that and apply just a little pressure until you can't see the finger print anymore

DeathStar99
07-22-2005, 04:17 AM
Use a quality microfiber cloth to do that and apply just a little pressure until you can't see the finger print anymore

Thanks cap what kind of store or stores can i get some quality cotton gloves and good microfiber cloths. Can you use water to clean areas? What about canned air to blow the statue off? Thanks again.Greg :)

darth_thorpe
07-22-2005, 04:34 AM
you could try a local camera shop they might do things like that

cap70
07-22-2005, 04:39 AM
and you're welcome, deathstar.
Search on the photo stores, or any other place that sells photo gear or sunglasses. Any good microfiber cloth would work. I already used water on some of my Attakus statues, but always very, very little, just some drops on the cloth. How dirty it is? Try the cloth alone first, without water. I don't like using canned air on statues.

Collection King 13
07-22-2005, 08:29 AM
Put 'em in da batroom! :eplus2:

DeathStar99
07-22-2005, 04:41 PM
and you're welcome, deathstar.
Search on the photo stores, or any other place that sells photo gear or sunglasses. Any good microfiber cloth would work. I already used water on some of my Attakus statues, but always very, very little, just some drops on the cloth. How dirty it is? Try the cloth alone first, without water. I don't like using canned air on statues.

Cap,
I called Attakus america and they said what you said water only is ok if you need to.I went to a local camera store and bought a microfiber cloth and some cotton gloves.They were out of the Camera lense brushes gotta wait for more to come in. Thanks again BTW i just bought a Attakus C-3P0 at a good price from Mike Richards on Ebay.Great seller.Greg

DeathStar99
08-06-2005, 03:30 AM

Cap, My local camera store just called me and they got in a good wisk anti-static brush which is used for negatives Ect. It was fairly expensive at $16.00. How do you feel about using this on Attakus statues? No static brush made from special soft natural hair and a conductive fiber. Greg BTW i now have Vader-2, C3PO and R2-D2. I'm on my way.
:) :buttrock:

cap70
08-06-2005, 04:08 AM
Deathstar, that will be perfect! And congrats on the new pieces! :thumbs2:

Darth Torment
11-03-2007, 01:00 AM
I thought this would be an excellent thread to bump.
Prob a great one to sticky as well.

Anyone have any other cleaning tips?

I have a question.

What is the best way to remove existing oils you may have on an Attakus statue. Especially when it is noticeable in a black "cloth" statue?

Thanks