PDA

View Full Version : India? anybody?

barneyjoseph
06-16-2012, 04:28 AM
Just curious... Anyone on this forum from India? Hobbyist? Professional? Sculptor, painter, mod, collector?

dino76m
06-16-2012, 04:53 AM
Just curious... Anyone on this forum from India? Hobbyist? Professional? Sculptor, painter, mod, collector?

im from india, started collecting in 2010, there are around 6-7 of us from india on these forums, and also over on freaks, and also avinash hegde is a 3d sculptor, he goes by aysculpture on these forums, hes the one who modeled bowen extremis, the revolving hammer on action thor

dino76m
06-16-2012, 04:55 AM
u can check avis works here http://aysculpture.deviantart.com/gallery/?offset=48

barneyjoseph
06-16-2012, 05:09 AM
Nice to meet you :) I've checked out the thor with revolving hammer and the Batman Beyond sculpture before. Didn't know it was his. Is there something like a community forum for Indians? Mostly for pointers as to where in India can we buy the materials, galleries, etc.

Thanks for saying hello!

dino76m
06-16-2012, 05:12 AM
give ur facebook id, email, ill add u there,there are a few of us collectors there, no sculptors yet, we have a small group going there

dutch1987
06-16-2012, 07:15 AM
! m from INDIA :smokin:

barneyjoseph
06-16-2012, 02:02 PM
Look for "barney.joseph" on facebook. Take a gander at my Batman WIP on this forum. I've got no money for collecting :(

@dutch1987: any sculpting? collecting?

dino76m
06-16-2012, 02:22 PM
he too is a collector, dhaval, hes there in our group on facebook, sadly we dont have the talent to make our own statues, so we hav to buy , lol, ur batman is impressive

barneyjoseph
06-16-2012, 10:40 PM
he too is a collector, dhaval, hes there in our group on facebook, sadly we dont have the talent to make our own statues, so we hav to buy , lol, ur batman is impressive

My Batman is impressive? I am happy :)

Do you have any idea where to buy wax? Seems like the pros get a nice premium format finish with it. I have difficulty explaining this at shops in Bangalore. I can get only Beeswax for now :( Apparantly the pros mix different types of waxes!

budhi
07-20-2012, 07:01 AM
I am from India.I sculpt for myself and make stuff for friends will be sharing soon.

Spideristic
07-20-2012, 10:27 AM
I am from India, fellow collector though currently more of an admirer of statues as I can't afford them.

Been wanting to try my hand at sculpting, but I am not sure if the needed materials are readily available in my town in Mangalore. But I am guessing Bangalore would have better options.

I had a friend who studied at the Karnataka Chitrakala Parishath of Fine Arts in Bangalore, though he was more into illustration he told me they had various forms of sculpting classes there, so materials should be available more locally there.

barneyjoseph
07-23-2012, 03:00 AM
Welcome budhi :) Hope to see your works soon! Where in India are you from or are at present?

barneyjoseph
07-23-2012, 03:12 AM
Been wanting to try my hand at sculpting, but I am not sure if the needed materials are readily available in my town in Mangalore. But I am guessing Bangalore would have better options.

I had a friend who studied at the Karnataka Chitrakala Parishath of Fine Arts in Bangalore,....

Hi Spideristic,

Nice to meet you! What kind of sculpting materials are you looking for? Are you looking for the mediun, i.e., clay or are you looking for the tools?

As far as tools are concerned... a few are available on Avenue Road in Bangalore. Mud clay is available in different parts of Bangalore, especially at Pottery Town in Bangalore. You should be able to get potter's clay in Mangalore itself!

As for Chitrakala Parishad... I had enquired at their college... their sculpting course is one subject in one semester of a 3/4 year course. I've seen most of them sculpt in stone and terracotta/mud clay.

They clay that most people use on this forum is not mud clay exactly. Some use polymer clays (eg: Super Sculpey, Kato Clay, Proto Clay, etc), some use plastelline clay/oil based clay(Chavant, Castelle, etc), and some use wax( I have no idea about this, but they seem to make their own by melting together crayon wax, beeswax and other types)

All of the above fake clays mentioned other than Proto Clay are NOT AVAILABLE in India as far as I have searched. I get them from ebay or from friends/family who travel to other countries. Proto clay is available at Staples in Bangalore but is not properly stocked in colours. I have made some figures out of one colour and just painted over them after baking.

Hope this helps :) Share your work online sometime

supahman
07-23-2012, 05:00 AM
Hey guys.. m from pune.. currently working in Sg..
just collecting.. currently.. Never been classically trained for anythign artistic.. I do sketch though..
Avi makes us proud though.. some really gr8 Stuff !

Spideristic
07-23-2012, 05:46 AM
Thanks for all the details barneyjoseph, appreciate it :).

I was indeed wondering about tools and considering Super Sculpey. Next time I am in B'lore, will check out Avenue Road for the tools including Proto clay at Staples.

And yes I realized materials like Super Sculpey needs to be acquired by someone who is traveling back to India from abroad, as shipping through ebay sellers may not work out due to restrictions from customs for chemical based products.

- Vivek

barneyjoseph
07-24-2012, 12:05 AM
Thanks for all the details barneyjoseph, appreciate it :).

I was indeed wondering about tools and considering Super Sculpey. Next time I am in B'lore, will check out Avenue Road for the tools including Proto clay at Staples.

And yes I realized materials like Super Sculpey needs to be acquired by someone who is traveling back to India from abroad, as shipping through ebay sellers may not work out due to restrictions from customs for chemical based products.

- Vivek

I forgot to mention something about Proto Clay... It is hard and even after conditioning it tends to remain hard. Any tool used on it leaves an impression and it is very hard to remove the marks. Alcohol does not soften the clay. The only way to remove the marks is to press with your own finger but that distorts the shape itself. I mostly at this point restart the shape. Since they do not become soft as Super sculpey, joins would be difficult. Check out my Facebook albums... they are filled with Proto Clay dolls. Notice the joins, some of them will still have dents and marks that I couldn't remove. Need to have patience with this!

All the best!

[edit]
On Avenue Road... look for Bhaskar Arts. That's where you get the tools!

barneyjoseph
07-24-2012, 12:09 AM
I do sketch though..

Welcome supahman... so you sketch... do you have a deviantart profile? post your work there :)

Check mine out.... bad-j.deviantart.com
It's mostly filled with clay pictures. Will be getting back to the drawing tablet soon :)

supahman
07-24-2012, 02:03 AM
Here's mine.. not a lot has been put up..
unfortunately, these days it's just sketchign while i'm on conference calls.. :)
i did pick up some air hardening clay once.. u can see the funny results.. ;)

http://zupahman.deviantart.com/

Batman n Simba look pretty cool.. it's sad that the lack of material is what is limiting the talent.

barneyjoseph
07-24-2012, 01:29 PM
@supahman: Nice to see your work online. Just keep at it and then "yuvarepro" ;)

Spideristic
07-24-2012, 08:58 PM
I forgot to mention something about Proto Clay... It is hard and even after conditioning it tends to remain hard. Any tool used on it leaves an impression and it is very hard to remove the marks. Alcohol does not soften the clay. The only way to remove the marks is to press with your own finger but that distorts the shape itself. I mostly at this point restart the shape. Since they do not become soft as Super sculpey, joins would be difficult. Check out my Facebook albums... they are filled with Proto Clay dolls. Notice the joins, some of them will still have dents and marks that I couldn't remove. Need to have patience with this!

All the best!

[edit]
On Avenue Road... look for Bhaskar Arts. That's where you get the tools!
Thanks for all the advice Barney. Hope to implement them in the future when I get to sculpting.

Nice work on the painted Simba and that Batman statue is coming out good. Looking forward to its progress.

barneyjoseph
07-25-2012, 02:56 AM

ckarmax
12-30-2012, 01:16 AM
Hi Barney! First thing, awesome work with the Batman arkham city concept! I'm from Hyderabad and just a beginner, started off with one recently and WIP with it.

barneyjoseph
12-30-2012, 03:13 AM
Thanks and welcome :) Hope to see your posts come up online :) If you like look me up on facebook "barney.joseph"

jamepeytoni011
02-12-2016, 08:17 AM
I'm from india too...

dino76m
02-12-2016, 09:01 AM
if ur on face book ,, u can join Indian collectors INC

barneyjoseph
02-18-2016, 08:57 AM
Hi @jamepeytoni011, welcome.... do you sculpt/collect/sketch?

barneyjoseph
02-18-2016, 09:00 AM
Hey guys, just an update.....one of my friends has been able to work out a deal with polyform and has a store in Marathalli, Bangalore. He has Super Sculpey and Super Sculpey Firm. The name of the shop is Skill Supplies. His website is skillsupplies.com

He delivers anywhere in india. Have a look, buy and start sculpting :)

One Above All
02-22-2016, 10:15 AM
what r the customs officer like at India?

is it easy to import a statue into the India country?

does the customs officers open the box and check the statues?

barneyjoseph
02-22-2016, 10:45 AM
That's a question you can askin the Indian collectors inc page on Facebook.