PDA

View Full Version : Transformers

DarthCollector
09-04-2012, 02:32 PM
We need Jerry to pick up the Transformers line. Just imagine Optimus and Grimlock in 1/4 :jawd: Jerry! Jerry! Jerry! Jerry!

Atheris
09-04-2012, 02:43 PM
SS already has the licence

Chris

chaggs1
09-04-2012, 02:44 PM
We need Jerry to pick up the Transformers line. Just imagine Optimus and Grimlock in 1/4 :jawd: Jerry! Jerry! Jerry! Jerry!

Generation 1 old skool

Y3E
09-04-2012, 02:44 PM
Are you sure you want him 1/4? How tall is OP, 40 ft? 1/4 statue would be 10 ft. :)

DarthCollector
09-04-2012, 02:51 PM
1/4:doh!::o

Talking about Gen 1 not the movies:thumbsdow

SkyPirate82
09-04-2012, 03:24 PM
1/4:doh!::o

Talking about Gen 1 not the movies:thumbsdow

Who said anything about the movies? Optimus and co. are pretty big in the G1 series, too. :confused:

Joppula
09-04-2012, 03:33 PM
Who said anything about the movies? Optimus and co. are pretty big in the G1 series, too. :confused:

G1 Prime was about 20ft. 1/4 would be an insanely expesive 5ft statue.

DarthCollector
09-04-2012, 04:33 PM

Chris

Talking about Gen 1 not the movies:thumbsdow was meant for the comment above^^^

Loops
09-04-2012, 04:33 PM
I'd love me some Gen1 1/6 or 1/5 scale PCS Transformers :)

Loops
09-04-2012, 04:36 PM

Chris

And released how many products? 1! (Not counting PopBox collectibles). Maybe Sideshow need to revisit that line or release the rights to it for someone else :(

SkyPirate82
09-04-2012, 04:45 PM
Talking about Gen 1 not the movies:thumbsdow was meant for the comment above^^^

Ah, I see. I get it now. :)

I didn't rate any of the movies that much so I'd also rather see some larger scale G1 stuff. I'm all about the Decepticons so Megatron, Soundwave and Starscream would get my vote.

gagaliya
09-04-2012, 04:55 PM
We need a 25" classic devastator done with highend finishes. I am willing to pay an arm...and a leg for that.

loricstone
09-04-2012, 07:12 PM
The problem with Transformers in statue form is that typically, people like to play and transform the transformers. With a statue, you can't do that.

With that being said however....Hard Hero did amazing statues of Megatron, Optimus Prime, Bumblebee, the Insecticons, and Ravage. All of them were phenomenal statues and they were all G1 style (the one and only true style).

If PCS was to get the license, there are tons of characters that many if not most would want. I would be a completionist, but I have never asked for the Transformers license because it is both expensive, and I am not sure if whoever acquires the license could do predominantly G1 character designs.

Who in their right mind would not want a Cyclonus, Astrotrain, Starscream, Optimus, Perceptor, Blaster, Soundwave, Omega Supreme (yes I would pay $800 for a 40" Omega), etc. etc. etc.

There are so many licenses that I would love to see Jerry acquire and work on, but there is only so many sculptors and so little time.

My top licenses of all time that I would love to have in statue form are as follows:

1)Transformers (G1 and select few other designs from later years)
2)MOTU (He-Man and She-Ra and everyone else in that created universe)
3)Mortal Kombat (thankfully, Jerry already has and is working on future statues)

SS already has access to Marvel, DC, and Blizzard (World of Warcraft), and GI JOE, so no need for PCS to get it as well.

Atheris
09-04-2012, 07:16 PM
And released how many products? 1! (Not counting PopBox collectibles). Maybe Sideshow need to revisit that line or release the rights to it for someone else :(

SS has been slow putting out stuff for a lot of great high end licenses......(cough) Tron.

Chris

Ricky Bobby
09-04-2012, 07:37 PM
I am huge TF fan,but i am not a fan of TF statues...but thats me...i will just keep on getting Masterpiece Transformers from Takara Tomy

OuttaSight
09-04-2012, 07:43 PM
The potential breakage issues for them scare me

darkdealx
09-04-2012, 07:53 PM
Very true!

We wonder if that piece is meant to come off and transform on the statue or not?

:thinking:

loricstone
09-04-2012, 08:47 PM

Breakage issue for the G1 or the Movie designs? The reason why I like G1 outside of the cool designs is that they are more geometrically solid whereas the movie designs have tons of gears and protrusions that seem like it could be a disaster.

Now maybe I can see the combiners (Constructicons, Combaticons, Arielbots, etc.) might be a problem if you are doing them in their combined form (i.e. Bruticus, Devastator, Superion, etc.). That could be tricky.

Believe me, if I ever win the lottery I would gladly donate a good amount of money to you to acquire that license if it was something you had interest in doing.

I'm not talking out of my rear either. I am very, very, passionate about Transformers.

Atheris
09-05-2012, 12:31 AM
Breakage issue for the G1 or the Movie designs? The reason why I like G1 outside of the cool designs is that they are more geometrically solid whereas the movie designs have tons of gears and protrusions that seem like it could be a disaster.

Now maybe I can see the combiners (Constructicons, Combaticons, Arielbots, etc.) might be a problem if you are doing them in their combined form (i.e. Bruticus, Devastator, Superion, etc.). That could be tricky.

Believe me, if I ever win the lottery I would gladly donate a good amount of money to you to acquire that license if it was something you had interest in doing.

I'm not talking out of my rear either. I am very, very, passionate about Transformers.

...Seems legit

Chris

Vracula
09-05-2012, 12:54 AM
I dont thing g1 statues will sell well,transformer fans or "tranny fans" as i lovingly call them like messing around with their robots.HH tried G1 and that didnt do too well,the bay film transformers are complex and kinda tricky.

abarron
09-05-2012, 04:26 AM
I dont thing g1 statues will sell well,transformer fans or "tranny fans" as i lovingly call them like messing around with their robots.HH tried G1 and that didnt do too well,the bay film transformers are complex and kinda tricky.

The Hard Hero G1 statues were great

EnShinNoi
09-05-2012, 04:33 AM
I don't think these would sell well at all unless they were fully articulated like the Premium Format C-3PO and R2-D2. They would basically be a series of simple, geometric shapes. To put things in perspective, I have zero sculpting experience and would have no trouble modelling each and every transformer.

loricstone
09-05-2012, 07:09 AM
Im not saying you couldn't sculpt geometric shapes, but there is a hell of a lot more to the G1 than just geometric shapes. In fact, there is an extreme amount of detail if you really are going for details. Seeing how detailed Jerry and co. are with their various line of statues, you can bet it wouldn't be sculpt a box and there you go.

Some just seem to think sculpting is easy. It isn't. Not only do you have to sculpt shapes accurately, but you have to match arm lengths appropriately to the body, as well as legs. Feet have to be done correctly. Tires on many of the charcters and flaps and folds have to be added. The details in the joints, along with some details like rivets and such have to be done correctly. This aint no easy task.

Also, just to clear things up a bit, Hard Hero overdid their edition sizes...not on their fs Transformer statues, but on their busts. They had so much overhead of their busts that it wasn't even funny. THis was during the early years of Hard Hero (they were around when Bowen started) so Rob did not know what would be too much in an edition of busts and even regular statues at the time. 5000 editions sizes of mini busts of Prowl is too many. So many of the busts sat unsold for long periods of time because that was too large editions for mini busts. Needless to say, they sold out of their Optimus Prime, Megatron and a few other fs Transformers, and that was when the edition sizes of them were still around 2000 or so I believe (don't quote me on that).

Let me tell you. At the sizes current collectors of 1/4 statues like, the G1 Transformers would sell, and sell well. With low edition sizes that PCS usually stick to (Judge Dredd for instance), I can just about guarantee they would sell out, and sell out pretty fast!

Example: lets say PCS got the license, and Sideshow got the license.

PCS could sell through an edition of 300 Megatron statues at around 20" - 22" for about $399 pretty damn quickly.

Sideshow could sell through an edition of about 500 - 750 Megatrons at 22" - 24" for about $499 - $699 easy peasy.

How can I say that? Look at the Optimus Prime statue that sold out (damn near in record time I might add) for over $1K+! Transformers is a hot commodity, and now that a new Transformers 4 is in the works, you think its slowing down anytime soon? Don't think so.

I know my Transformers and I know how passionate people my age (38) are about the G1 Transformers. That tv show will transcend time and so do the characters. I have no doubt in my mind it would sell well. My main concern is how much of tightwads would Hasbro or whoever has the license be about allowing a company to focus on G1 styles?

You all know how passionate I am about Mortal Kombat!:soapb: Well let me tell you...MK can't even begin to come close to my passion for Transformers G1 style.

EnShinNoi
09-05-2012, 07:59 AM
Im not saying you couldn't sculpt geometric shapes, but there is a hell of a lot more to the G1 than just geometric shapes. In fact, there is an extreme amount of detail if you really are going for details. Seeing how detailed Jerry and co. are with their various line of statues, you can bet it wouldn't be sculpt a box and there you go.

Some just seem to think sculpting is easy. It isn't. Not only do you have to sculpt shapes accurately, but you have to match arm lengths appropriately to the body, as well as legs. Feet have to be done correctly. Tires on many of the charcters and flaps and folds have to be added. The details in the joints, along with some details like rivets and such have to be done correctly. This aint no easy task.

I said model, not sculpt. There is a difference. Though both can potentially end up with the same product, especially where geometric shapes are concerned.

biglebowski9999
09-05-2012, 08:52 AM
A G1 TF license is the ONLY thing that could get me to lift my boycott of PCS products. The market is there, so I'm sure the issue is Hasbro wants a hefty fee for the license.

Do or do not
09-05-2012, 09:01 AM
I would be game for G1 statues by Jerry!

Lostang04
09-05-2012, 09:26 AM
I would be game for G1 statues by Jerry!

Same here , would love to see some G1 Transformers . Exclusive could be a small sculpt of their vehicle or alternate mode .

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5181/5588770231_032d4af2c7_z.jpg

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5185/5588770235_169cf6913f_z.jpg

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5107/5588770227_e2c531d0d8_z.jpg

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5054/5588770217_e090407e3a_z.jpg

EnShinNoi
09-05-2012, 09:52 AM
^I must admit, battle damaged transformers would be awesome :p

nemesisenforcer
09-05-2012, 09:54 AM
I would love to see Transformers be made...G! of course!

JetFire76
09-05-2012, 01:03 PM
I think it would be extremely superb if PopCulture Shock were to obtain the Transformers license to produce G1 specific transformers.

I find that the demise of Transformers statues is that the details (if any) are not done correctly... or more specifically... the details do not make sense (like on F4F statues). Or they are too simplified (Like Hard Hero). Not that Hard Hero statues weren't great... but they were just essentially a very minimal basic look to the characters.

I feel that a 4Horsemen approach to the Transformers is needed as was done with the MOTU line. Obviously not to the degree of the Bay transformers.

My feeling is that if you were take details that are on Gundams... which make sense and apply to the joints and detailing of the outer shell of the Transformers, you can't go wrong. The paint application, the poses ... like Gundams would make for a terrfic line of Transformers statues. Breakage issues wouldn't necessarily be a concern like a Bay Transformer because the details are not as extreme like the Bay Transformers... and they are contained within a shell.

Take a look at the concept art developed by Don Figueroa, who is by far the quintessential artist for anything Transformers. Everything that he draws when it comes to Transformers and mech makes sense ... in terms of the inner mechanics of Transformers. His style represents an amalgamation of Gundam and Transformers which is by far the best I have ever seen... and I believed led the way in how Transformers are drawn in comics for other Transformers artists.

I hope this happens... and if it does... I hope it happens right. That's all I have to say to that~

DarthCollector
09-05-2012, 01:04 PM
Done the right way they would sell like hot cakes. I love g1 transformers and would rather have statues that look closer to what I saw on tv/comics than a transforming toy.

JetFire76
09-05-2012, 01:07 PM
Take a peek at the drawing under my username~

I'm also in total agreement with Loricstone.

vinnnie
09-05-2012, 03:06 PM
Is there no love for the Palisades statues? I have all except for the super rare Devastator statue:

http://img845.imageshack.us/img845/8259/devastatorc.jpg

The 12 inch statues of Megatron and Optimus are awesome. Too bad they went to 6 inch after that (due to costs) and didnt finish the line :'(

http://www.statueforum.com/showthread.php?p=4374203

They look great in person and they are very detailed, even the 6 inch statues.

biglebowski9999
09-05-2012, 03:19 PM
I really liked ther Palisades stuff, too. The HH statues were very cartoon accurate and the Palisades looked a little more "realistic" for lack of a better term.

Luminous
09-05-2012, 04:01 PM
If it can't transform, then I have no interest.

artofgarduno
09-05-2012, 04:19 PM
I which jerry could do the 1st generation. I could care less if they did not transform. They look cooler as a statue in robot form.

Luminous
09-05-2012, 04:36 PM
I which jerry could do the 1st generation. I could care less if they did not transform. They look cooler as a statue in robot form.

That to me defeats the purpose of a Transformer. Again, that's just me.

Ricky Bobby
09-05-2012, 07:23 PM
That to me defeats the purpose of a Transformer. Again, that's just me.

I am with you on this...

biglebowski9999
09-05-2012, 09:40 PM
I'll concede that one of the main things that makes TFs cool is that they transformer. However, we've had almost 30 years of toys of all kinds that transform...it's time for them to be in polystone. It doesn't matter to me that my Kratos statue doesn't do any of the things he does in the games or that my Iron Man statues don't do any of the things he does in the comics/movies...how are TFs any different??

Luminous
09-05-2012, 09:48 PM
I'll concede that one of the main things that makes TFs cool is that they transformer. However, we've had almost 30 years of toys of all kinds that transform...it's time for them to be in polystone. It doesn't matter to me that my Kratos statue doesn't do any of the things he does in the games or that my Iron Man statues don't do any of the things he does in the comics/movies...how are TFs any different??

Not even going to go there. :laugh:

biglebowski9999
09-05-2012, 09:59 PM
ok? :confused:

If you don't think the comparison is accurate, feel free to explain why.

Luminous
09-05-2012, 10:38 PM
Alright, I'll bite.

Both of your examples (Kratos and Iron Man) are of characters that aren't using their abilities/powers in sculpted form, and that it's the same thing if a Transformer is only portrayed in bot mode, correct? To me, that is a bad example of how it could possibly relate to a Transformer. In sculpted form you could easily sculpt either Kratos or Iron Man in an iconic pose and fully capture what both of those characters have to offer. Someone doesn't need to see Iron Man's complete arsenal of weapons in order to capture the spirit of the character.

For a Transformer, you would only be capturing half of what the character has to offer in statue form. The entire concept of a Transformer is them being able to change from one form to another, a robot in disguise. Not just a robot, but one that has an ability that specifically sets them apart from all other robots. You aren't getting half of Iron Man in a statue.

Anyway, I get why someone would want a sculpture of a Transformer. I personally don't see the point, so I don't believe I'll ever own one. However, to suggest it's the same thing as representing a super hero without their abilities isn't exactly fair or accurate.

Vracula
09-05-2012, 10:46 PM
I personally am still hoping for an affordable 1/4 scale bay transformer.

loricstone
09-05-2012, 11:09 PM

Ahhh....see now there I have a problem. For a few of the Transformers, their non-robotic form is much better. For instance, Grimlock to me is best in his Dino form. Not only is it his most powerful form, but it is also its most recognizable and unique form amongst the Transformers (autobots more specifically).

Don't get me wrong art, for the most part, most would be coolest as statues in their robot form. I can only think of a few that MIGHT look better in transformed mode:

Grimlock and the rest of the Dinobots (although they look good in robot form as well)
Horri-Bull (Headmaster Decepticon)
Predacons (admittedly, they would look good in either form--of course they would look best as Predaking, the most awesome looking combiner of Transformers history)

When I think about it and look through the Transfomers More Than Meets The Eye Official Guidebook from Dreamwaveprod.com, most would look best in robot form, but that is the one negative to making a Transformer in robot form only...many have awesome transformed modes. All the Predacons look phenomenal as do most of the cars like Sunstreaker, Sideswipe, Prowl and Jazz.

loricstone
09-05-2012, 11:20 PM
Alright, I'll bite.

Both of your examples (Kratos and Iron Man) are of characters that aren't using their abilities/powers in sculpted form. To me, that is a bad example of how it could possibly relate to a Transformer. In sculpted form you could easily sculpt either Kratos or Iron Man in an iconic pose and fully capture what both of those characters have to offer. Someone doesn't need to see Iron Man's complete arsenal of weapons in order to capture the spirit of the character.

For a Transformer, you would only be capturing half of what the character has to offer in statue form. The entire concept of a Transformer is them being able to change from one form to another, a robot in disguise. Not just a robot, but one that has an ability that specifically sets them apart from all other robots. You aren't getting half or Iron Man in a statue.

Anyway, I get why someone would want a sculpture of a Transformer. I personally don't see the point, so I don't believe I'll ever own one. However, to suggest it's the same thing as representing a super hero without their abilities isn't exactly fair or accurate.

I get most of what you say, but I would argue the point that what each Transformer transforms into is just a bi-product of who they are. The real essence of Optimus and Megatron is not about their respective truck and gun modes, but it is about their personalities and designs in robot mode. This is why I will never give full credit to the Transfomer movies (although they were entertaining from a popcorn action standpoint). You couldn't really distinguish who from the next, and more importantly, because they were so indistinguishable, you didn't give a damn about them as a character because you couldn't identify them.

Transformers is a very intelligent license and product. The end result is, most people that know about Transformers know what they look like in thier respective transformed modes (which is cool), but the true essence lies in each ones personality and their clear distinguishing likenesses in robot form. This is why I say G1 is the one and true generation of Transformers. There are literally hundreds of different G1 Transformers. Thats a wealth of characters to choose from...many of whom are hugely popular.

biglebowski9999
09-05-2012, 11:26 PM
Alright, I'll bite.

Both of your examples (Kratos and Iron Man) are of characters that aren't using their abilities/powers in sculpted form. To me, that is a bad example of how it could possibly relate to a Transformer. In sculpted form you could easily sculpt either Kratos or Iron Man in an iconic pose and fully capture what both of those characters have to offer. Someone doesn't need to see Iron Man's complete arsenal of weapons in order to capture the spirit of the character.

For a Transformer, you would only be capturing half of what the character has to offer in statue form. The entire concept of a Transformer is them being able to change from one form to another, a robot in disguise. Not just a robot, but one that has an ability that specifically sets them apart from all other robots. You aren't getting half or Iron Man in a statue.

But that is kinda my point. Yes, you *could* sculpt those two characters in a fashion that shows some of what they are capable of. However, in the case of the kratos piece and MANY iron man pieces (thinking mostly of Koto and Bowen which trend towards museum vs SS which tend to be more dynamic) the characters really aren't doing anything that would indicate what they can do. Take a look at any of the Koto Iron man statues...he is just standing there. :laugh:

To me, it's just another medium to get my TF fix. I have tons of TF artwork that doesn't do anything either. If I need to transform something, I have plenty of Masterpieces to play with.:D

But your point is taken, seems to me TF statues are something that fans will really be into or want nothing to do with...not much middle ground.

loricstone
09-05-2012, 11:32 PM
There are millions upon millions of Transformer fans around the world. Im sure at least 500 people would like to see them in statue form in thier robot forms. Heck, I'd go so far as to say there are at least a couple thousand that would like to see them in statue form. G1 specifically with a little more detail to them than Hard Heros versions.

Luminous
09-05-2012, 11:32 PM
I won't say I'll never be interested in a statue of a Transformer. However, it doesn't seem likely. I think the base would have to play a huge factor in order for it to set itself apart from a Masterpiece figure.

BigLeagueChu
09-05-2012, 11:53 PM
I've got that Palisades Devastator...love it and the paint job is much much nicer than what the previous pic shows...but I digress. I am all in for TF in polystone, especially if done by Jerry and PSC. Leave the transforming to the toys, there are 1000s out there to play with, give the big boys 1/4 polystone limited edition treatment

Podolski06
09-06-2012, 05:41 AM
Jerry has kept very quite about a possible Transformer 1/4 line. I for one would be extremely interested. I have all 27 statues/busts released by Hard Hero and they were fantastic! Not sure why Jerry would be worried about possible damage, as someone else mentioned, the G1 designs of the Transformers were very solid.

loricstone
09-06-2012, 06:50 AM
I agree. The only thing Jerry would have to do is add some details, and that can more or less be done in the paintup.

Oh well, one can only hope.:praying:

biglebowski9999
09-06-2012, 08:38 AM
I personally am still hoping for an affordable 1/4 scale bay transformer.

Syco is making Bayformers but I don't know if I would call them "affordable."

loricstone
09-06-2012, 11:21 AM
Actually, a company called Calibre makes them, and Syco is more of less selling and distributing them...kind of like SS I think.

Their too damn expensive....but they are extremely detailed and very very nice no doubt. But not for $1500.

dao2
09-06-2012, 02:43 PM
[QUOTE=Podolski06;4405263 Not sure why Jerry would be worried about possible damage, as someone else mentioned, the G1 designs of the Transformers were very solid.[/QUOTE]

Jerry actually was the one who mentioned that he was afraid of damage. Possibly because he thinks people are going to try and transform them :P

OuttaSight
09-06-2012, 02:55 PM
The Calibre statues look very nice. I hear people complaining about the price but they dont understand the amount of engineering that goes into prototyping/manufacturing something like a 'Bayformer'. So many small interlocking pieces...way more complicated than a G1 TF

MrYac
09-06-2012, 02:59 PM
way more complicated than a G1 TF

and yet way less interesting....ironic aint it

loricstone
09-06-2012, 04:32 PM
I agree Mr. Yac lol. I agee.

But to what Jerry said, there are lots of individual machined parts involved in making the Calibre Bayformers. I just don't understand why there is so much involvement with the gears and movable parts in the movie. Its that reason alone that drove up the cost of making that movie by $100 million. Totally unnecessary.

dao2
09-06-2012, 06:52 PM
Don't want the bay transformers at all :<

Slightly reimagined/updated G1s OK :P

http://img.gawkerassets.com/img/17xlkov04qmczjpg/xlarge.jpg
http://img.gawkerassets.com/img/17xlkp0x59ejljpg/original.jpg
http://img.gawkerassets.com/img/17xlkp0xbj7qwjpg/original.jpg

Podolski06
09-07-2012, 06:11 AM
Don't want the bay transformers at all :<

Slightly reimagined/updated G1s OK :P

http://img.gawkerassets.com/img/17xlkov04qmczjpg/xlarge.jpg