PDA

View Full Version : PCSC Studio Samples

OuttaSight
10-03-2012, 11:35 PM
I recently auctioned off the pink Chun Li prototype on EBay. Part of the auction was that we would repaint the face in any manner the winner determined. The winner of the auction seemed really happy with that and it got us thinking...

What do you think of creating a very limited number of Studio Samples ?

They would basically be prototypes painted here by Mike Najera, signed by both of us and we could offer a certain amount of customizing to the paint.

Obviously these would be expensive. Mike is not cheap and it normally takes him 3 solid days to paint one statue..

I would guess they would start at double the retail price of a factory piece. They would not be auctioned but sold on our website all for the same amount.

Probably limit them to 5 of each character ?

Just thoughts right now.

s_paulik87
10-03-2012, 11:39 PM
Would be amazing, I would be willing to bet they would be sold instantly. You could always start off with a bloodied Sagat =-D

premium_substit
10-03-2012, 11:42 PM
It's an interesting idea. To have a proto quality piece, similar to that used for official product pics, would be awesome. As you kind of put it - a chance to own a studio quality piece. All those touches bring a statue to life. What I'm more curious about though, is how far you could go with 'customising' - I'm not talking extreme, like adding battle damage for example (though there's an idea :D), but what if for example someone wanted the original electric blue for Judge Dredd's attire that was shown on the first proto? Would you be able to do that, or would there be troubles because the licensor didn't approve that color for the mass produced statues? I guess I'm asking if you can change colors at all - or would it still need to be within the same fashion/approval limitations?

Loops
10-03-2012, 11:42 PM
The idea sounds fantastic.

However I assume they will be sold as an auction on eBay with no Buy It Now option? If so, unfortunately I'll just have to look on and be jealous of the winner. The ending price is always way more than I can afford.

MuckCityFL
10-03-2012, 11:44 PM
I think Studio Samples would be amazing and would be very interested in buying a few ... maybe Skeletor to lead off ... But this could be a good way to test a line/character's popularity before mass production.

dao2
10-04-2012, 12:13 AM
Would love, price depending of course. Man you have good ideas :P

Joppula
10-04-2012, 12:16 AM
I think it's a cool idea, but if you do it I hope it's the last type of exclusive you offer.

Offering too many exclusives can mess up a line. And mess up your sales.

You're already offering PCS Ex, PCS AP, EX, Factory Prototypes, and Reg. that seems like a fair variety.

If you fragment each statue too much, I could see certain collectors throwing their hands in the air and saying "too much, I can't keep up".

Again, a very cool idea. Just be careful:)

dao2
10-04-2012, 12:47 AM
I think it's a cool idea, but if you do it I hope it's the last type of exclusive you offer.

You're already offering PCS Ex, PCS AP, EX, Factory Prototypes, and Reg. that seems like a fair variety.

If you fragment each statue too much, I could see certain collectors throwing their hands in the air and saying "too much, I can't keep up".

Looks worse when you type it like that :<

The AP is the same thing, just different edition number. And considering he sells only one prototype for each style I don't really think you could call it an "edition".

Really PCS Ex, Reg, SS Ex, and Studio Sample if you want to consider it an edition, although it's going to be pretty much the same cept with some customization and a pro paint job.

DRAGONTHEBOMB
10-04-2012, 01:19 AM
I would be down with that, but I think I would much rather have the option of have a custom color attire or color scheme as opposed to just having the face painted differently.

Mannequin
10-04-2012, 01:26 AM
I wonder Tygra which was displayed in SDCC be auctioned?

EnShinNoi
10-04-2012, 01:26 AM
I would be down with that, but I think I would much rather have the option of have a custom color attire or color scheme as opposed to just having the face painted differently.
I thought that was the idea Jerry is proposing.

modus
10-04-2012, 07:13 AM
Two words

Akuma Sample

gagaliya
10-04-2012, 08:05 AM
I would guess they would start at double the retail price of a factory piece. They would not be auctioned but sold on our website all for the same amount.

i would be a buyer for most of those sf statues including chun li if it is available

BLACK OPS
10-04-2012, 08:28 AM
great idea

Blacksunn
10-04-2012, 09:23 AM
+1 I'd be in

kenshi8
10-04-2012, 09:41 AM
me too Im in, it would be a great idea.

Quest99
10-04-2012, 09:46 AM
Sounds interesting. But here is a thought. Why not make those AP and sell those at 2-3 times retail price. Limit them to 5-10 ES.

The fact that AP are presently just a numbered statue picked up from the factory line up disturbs me. If you plan on making them custom painted by Mike and signed from the both of you.....those statues would really be Artist Proof.

Just my 2 cents.

jasong888
10-04-2012, 11:35 AM
i think it depends on how much customization we're talking about. i imagine it being like the puma/nike websites where you can pretty much do anything you want to a certain pair of shoes, but with this PCS offer you would pretty much be able to do anything to the statue. i think using the APs to do these customizations is a great idea. maybe have 5-10 APs produced and have 8 of them offered for the customizing deal.
i am a little worried how much this will affect certain lines. as was mentioned before, saturating the market with too many kinds of statues can ruin the line...especially if those re-casters get heavily involved. then you would have all kinds of statues floating around. just something to think about i guess.

Atheris
10-04-2012, 12:01 PM

I see your point, but I don't see the harm. Hell Lamborghini for example does it with quarter million dollar cars. Theirs about 15 special edition "Gallardos" that have been released in the last 10 years! Not even including OTHER models from the line.

1)Gallardo SE

2)Gallardo Nera

3)Gallardo Superleggera

4)Gallardo Blancpain Super Trofeo

5)Gallardo LP 550-2 Valentino Balboni

6)Gallardo LP570-4 Superleggera

7)Gallardo LP570-4 Spyder Performante

8)Gallardo LP560-4 Bicolore

9)Gallardo LP570-4 Super Trofeo Stradale

10)Gallardo Tricolore

11)Gallardo LP560-4 Gold Limited Edition

12)Gallardo LP560-4 Bianco Rosso

13)Gallardo LP560-4 Noctis

14)Gallardo LP550-2 GZ8 Edizione Limitata

15)Gallardo LP570-4 Edizione Tecnica

Guess what, they still sell. I agree that their is a ceiling to how many special editions can be put out. But as long as Jerry doesn't beat that number of special editions it should be ok lol

Chris

Frankierock
10-04-2012, 12:13 PM
This is a cool idea...A way for collectors to possibly get a hold of a 1 of 1 statue and choose how it could end up.... I'm In.

Frankierock
10-04-2012, 12:14 PM
I recently auctioned off the pink Chun Li prototype on EBay. Part of the auction was that we would repaint the face in any manner the winner determined. The winner of the auction seemed really happy with that and it got us thinking...

What do you think of creating a very limited number of Studio Samples ?

They would basically be prototypes painted here by Mike Najera, signed by both of us and we could offer a certain amount of customizing to the paint.

Obviously these would be expensive. Mike is not cheap and it normally takes him 3 solid days to paint one statue..

Just thoughts right now.

The idea sounds fantastic.

However I assume they will be sold as an auction on eBay with no Buy It Now option? If so, unfortunately I'll just have to look on and be jealous of the winner. The ending price is always way more than I can afford.

These are not auctioned.

Loops
10-04-2012, 12:46 PM
These are not auctioned.

Man how did I miss that?! :banghead:

I would be up for this!

dutch1987
10-04-2012, 02:52 PM
i m ready for missing ones........ allmost all except M.Bison which i bought recently..... so Zangief-Cammy-Akuma-Ryu-Ken-Vega

dao2
10-04-2012, 06:01 PM
I'm assuming this is for new products... not old ones.

OuttaSight
10-04-2012, 06:21 PM
I'm assuming this is for new products... not old ones.

yes no going back to the well

Batminator
10-04-2012, 06:23 PM
Jerry, how would this differ from APs?

OuttaSight
10-04-2012, 06:36 PM
Jerry, how would this differ from APs?

APs are unnumbered samples from the factory that are given to the people involved in making the statue such as Capcom, NetherRealm, sculptors, moldmakers, painters, etc...

Otherwise they are pretty much the same as production pieces. At times they have a slightly better paint job as the factory is trying to impress us with these pieces as they know they are the ones we look at.

Studio samples would be painted here by Mike Najera. They would be as refined as our prototypes. Of course this takes a lot of time and means they will be very expensive.

To paint a single statue takes about 3 days and as you can imagine someone as talented as Mike does not work cheaply.

Batminator
10-04-2012, 06:40 PM
Thanks! This could be interesting for a select few characters.

By the way, how do people acquire APs from PSC?

gagaliya
10-04-2012, 07:16 PM
yes no going back to the well

Even though i joined the club late and dont have most of the old SF statues, i applaud jerry for maintaining his brand integrity.

However i really think this should be made available for chun-li, considering the face paint issues. I want that statue, but have to buy it from retailer, then send it back to pcs, then wait to get it again is a major turnoff for such a big box.

much rather just buy it directly from pcs with the face already repainted.

Comicbookguy
10-04-2012, 07:36 PM
So is tygra going to be auction off?

OuttaSight
10-04-2012, 07:59 PM
So is tygra going to be auction off?

There are two Tygras. The finished one shown at Comic Con which i doubt I will ever sell.

The other is an unpainted, unfinished copy with no cloth costume.

I might ,at some point, EBay that.

drkknight65
10-04-2012, 08:32 PM
why not finish the second copy and offer it a forum member instead of ebaying it. you get to pick a random member..

OuttaSight
10-04-2012, 08:46 PM
why not finish the second copy and offer it a forum member instead of ebaying it. you get to pick a random member..

It would cost us over $1k to finish it between making new costume, paint, putting it together. One of the more complicated pieces we've ever done, costume-wise.

s_paulik87
10-04-2012, 09:07 PM
Looking at Tygra's Whip, how was this going to be packed to avoid breakage O_O

OuttaSight
10-04-2012, 09:15 PM
Looking at Tygra's Whip, how was this going to be packed to avoid breakage O_O

Hadnt got that far into it yet

Niero
10-04-2012, 09:38 PM
That's a really cool ideia, something unique for the PCS fans, but how would you choose the buyers? I'm sure there's a lot more buyers here then pieces available.

Maybe doing a lottery with the people interested in the piece? It's far better then email you at an specific time, everyone would have a true chance. There's a lot of technical problems and server delays that can ruin the chance in the email system.

Rokdweller
10-04-2012, 11:20 PM
Two thumbs up on this idea... I'm all in!!!

DRAGONTHEBOMB
10-05-2012, 12:41 AM
I sooo want that Tygra!! lol

Submissive421
10-05-2012, 04:31 PM
I won't be able to afford them but I love the idea. I hope it catches on and other people consider this. I just hope they consider drawings or chances to win it in different ways

drkknight65
10-06-2012, 03:22 AM
I would pay over 1k for a one of kind piece given the opportunity.

equi-nox76
10-06-2012, 06:16 AM

That is what happened to me with Magic The Gathering (the collecting card game). I collected them from the start and had to stop in 2007, because there just came too many exclusives (for every language one!!) + judge promos, collectors promos, Asia, APAC, ..... more and more. Unfortunately I'm a completist and track them all down was a fulltimejob. Not getting the prototypes in different colours from Street Fighter already is a pain in the a$$ ;)

But it's still a nice idea and I would just let go the reg that I usually buy from Sideshow and get it for double retail from PCS directly. So for this I might concider a customized Honda and you can paint him however you think he looks perfect :)
EDIT: + count me in 1000% for a Blanka in that way :D

I and I
10-06-2012, 06:46 AM
agree with the not fragmenting to much. But I understand PCS can sell those without SS and so make more money ... what can be a good buffer for a statue of a not so popular character.

derekrodneysim
10-06-2012, 06:57 AM
Interesting prospects but would rather see to improving overall product and packaging quality and consistency first.

gagaliya
10-06-2012, 03:43 PM
That is what happened to me with Magic The Gathering (the collecting card game). I collected them from the start and had to stop in 2007, because there just came too many exclusives (for every language one!!) + judge promos, collectors promos, Asia, APAC, ..... more and more. Unfortunately I'm a completist and track them all down was a fulltimejob.

you buy magic cards to make killer decks to compete, not to collect them :doh!:

it's like saying there are just way too many different golf clubs, i cant keep up trying to collect them all! :doh!::doh!:

equi-nox76
10-07-2012, 05:14 AM
It's a collecting card game ;) So yes, you can collect them + play with them. I'm more the collecting guy ;)
How can one collect golf clubs? :rolleyes:

Niero
10-07-2012, 08:18 AM
It's a collecting card game ;) So yes, you can collect them + play with them. I'm more the collecting guy ;)

Maybe a Genius, Billionaire, Playboy Philanthropist with strange hobbies!

World Warrior
10-08-2012, 10:38 PM
It would cost us over $1k to finish it between making new costume, paint, putting it together. One of the more complicated pieces we've ever done, costume-wise.

actually this is chance to offer something that SS might consider down the road. You have one that is mixed media and one with just a paint app over a great sculpt. See which one collectors like and go from there. I have said in the past that SS should consider making Exclusive pieces one version and regulars the other.

heykool69
10-08-2012, 10:44 PM

BINGO!!!

jye318
10-09-2012, 02:02 PM
You are a business man!! Good way to make money, and good way to Satisfy people!! Bring on!

Blacksunn
10-09-2012, 02:47 PM
Do a raffle for the Tygra... $100 per number. Do a web video of the lottery pick. Have a few smaller prizes for the losers (Few Dark Raptors?) or the chance to be first in line on another preorder on a limited edition or coupon for 5-10% off next purchase.

Alot of different directions you can go on this one to satifiy the angry mob. :)

You would recoup your overhead and more...

gagaliya
10-09-2012, 10:17 PM

like that:

http://media.mlive.com/newsnow_impact/photo/crazy-golf-club-collection-01jpg-ebcff169a3ccee39_large.jpg

crazy_legs03
10-09-2012, 10:24 PM
Do a raffle for the Tygra... $100 per number. Do a web video of the lottery pick. Have a few smaller prizes for the losers (Few Dark Raptors?) or the chance to be first in line on another preorder on a limited edition or coupon for 5-10% off next purchase.

Alot of different directions you can go on this one to satifiy the angry mob. :)

You would recoup your overhead and more...

$100 raffle? That's bit high don't you think?
I'm assuming there would be at least 50 people buying the raffle.

Awesome
10-09-2012, 10:38 PM
Can't do lotteries.

Blacksunn
10-09-2012, 10:38 PM
$100 raffle? That's bit high don't you think?
I'm assuming there would be at least 50 people buying the raffle.

If 50 people bought $100 raffle tickets it would cover Jerrys cost for the statue and costs to finish it. It would also provide funding to do a few loser bracket gifts along with making him a profit...

Thats why its a good idea instead of eBaying it for a few thousand. Give more people a chance to win it that normally couldn't afford to bid a few thousand.

thus hopefully calming the angry mob... Because you know if Jerry eBays it and make 2-3k on it people are gonna -----... Either way people are gonna complain... :waa:

It's no win situation here Jerry unless you just make the damn thing, cut production amount and charge double for it! :rolleyes2

Awesome
10-09-2012, 11:31 PM
You can't do lotteries online for things like this.

ReplicantSavior
10-10-2012, 10:52 PM
Please make Cheetara as a Studio Sample if she's never released normally.

dao2
10-11-2012, 12:40 AM
Doubt it would happen Replicant, I imagine it would cost wayyyyy to much.

ReplicantSavior
10-11-2012, 04:11 PM
Doubt it would happen Replicant, I imagine it would cost wayyyyy to much.

If you don't think there are more than 5 people who would pay double (I assume $600-$700) for that Cheetara statue you're nuts. There are statues out there, some by PCS that command more than that and aren't anywhere near as good as this Cheetara sculpt.

dao2
10-11-2012, 04:28 PM
You'd be paying a lot more than double.
Well over a grand I'd imagine, and it'd be wayyyyy to much hassle for PCS no doubt.

I imagine stuff like this the cast will already be done, and maybe a base coat. For Cheetera, is the model even done? And it's not a mass cast so price goes up there too. And also the mixed media price would go up since there would be such a low quantity.

Maybe I'm just making this ---- up, I'm not PCS, but for Cheetera I wouldn't be surprised if it's the better part of 2 grand a piece if they were to do it.

ReplicantSavior
10-11-2012, 04:43 PM
You'd be paying a lot more than double.
Well over a grand I'd imagine, and it'd be wayyyyy to much hassle for PCS no doubt.

I imagine stuff like this the cast will already be done, and maybe a base coat. For Cheetera, is the model even done? And it's not a mass cast so price goes up there too. And also the mixed media price would go up since there would be such a low quantity.

Maybe I'm just making this ---- up, I'm not PCS, but for Cheetera I wouldn't be surprised if it's the better part of 2 grand a piece if they were to do it.

Well PCS said about double the price. From his post he made it seem like selling studio painted and built statues. He said they would be the prototypes. I assume made here in the States not the factories in China. He said they were still touching up Cheetara before they cancelled the line but I would take her as is right now. I think the statue is beautiful. Maybe a bit more of a smile. But this Cheetara is worlds better than the one from the other company. And one of the best mixed media statues I've seen. I don't say that lightly as I only own one mixed media statue, the Hughes Lara Croft PF.

dao2
10-11-2012, 04:51 PM
Well PCS said about double the price. From his post he made it seem like selling studio painted and built statues. He said they would be the prototypes. I assume made here in the States not the factories in China. He said they were still touching up Cheetara before they cancelled the line but I would take her as is right now. I think the statue is beautiful. Maybe a bit more of a smile. But this Cheetara is worlds better than the one from the other company. And one of the best mixed media statues I've seen. I don't say that lightly as I only own one mixed media statue, the Hughes Lara Croft PF.

He said they would be painted here by Mike, the casting/mixed media would probably still be mass produced.

edit: Just read the Cheetera thread and Jerry responded to your post. So basically what I said, except my price estimate of 2 grand was apparently way too low :P