PDA

View Full Version : What about a PCS subscription?

kagero_no_mai
11-19-2012, 03:33 PM
Jerry's new schedule thread and the imminent Alex pre-order got me thinking..

How many of you would be interested into signing for a PCS subscription (Motu Classics style)?
A commitment to buy all the regular edition of a single line of statues produced by PCS in a certain year?

If the number of people willing to subscribe is low (let's say 30, for example), then a correspondent quota of the total es could be 'reserved' to them, while the rest would be still available for day of sale; this would not affect the es too much and would still give completists the chance to own every statue released in a series.

Of course this wouldn't work if people willing to subscribe turn out to be too many.

EXs could be left out of the subscription, due to their 'by definition' higher level of collectability.

What do you guy think of it?
How many subscribers would there be?

I'd be in for all the SF and MK9 releases.

Spazzy
11-19-2012, 03:39 PM
these are $300+ statues not $22 action figures, I would not be interested, I am sure many would default on the sub also

Spazzy
11-19-2012, 03:46 PM
oops

kagero_no_mai
11-19-2012, 03:48 PM
these are $300+ statues not $22 action figures, I would not be interested, I am sure many would default on the sub also

That's exactly my point.
If the number of subscribers is low enough it would not affect to the size of the es too much, while allowing those who are sure they want all the characters in a line to get them without risking to miss out!

On the contrary, this wouldn't work if there were many subscribers, as Jerry needs to preserve the collectability of his product.

Edit: in case of default they wouldn't be allow to join future subscriptions and will have to take the risk of them selling out.

marvelboi77
11-19-2012, 04:32 PM
I think a club for exclusives is cool, but not for reg editions. To much money to spend if you are not thrilled by a release.

akumalove
11-19-2012, 04:32 PM
I would subscribe if it's sure I won't miss any :)
Christina

loricstone
11-19-2012, 04:34 PM
I might have a problem with it because, there is always the possibility of a statue in any of the licenses to not be appealing.

Although I say and mean I am a completist of the MK9 and MOTU lines, that doesn't mean that I just blindly buy them. Realistically, I don't reallly see this being a problem because just about every statue that has come from PCSC has been pretty stellar. I would feel confident, especially now that the packaging issue has been solved. But there is still that chance that something could happen IRL that could affect ones ability to buy what they originally intended to buy.

kagero_no_mai
11-19-2012, 04:41 PM
I don't reallly see this being a problem because just about every statue that has come from PCSC has been pretty stellar.

Exactly. I've been buying PCS from 2007 and I've never been disappointed to date..the risk of disappointment is pretty minimal as far as I'm concerned.

I would subscribe if it's sure I won't miss any :)
Christina

That makes two! :)

I and I
11-19-2012, 04:48 PM
I think a club for exclusives is cool, but not for reg editions. To much money to spend if you are not thrilled by a release.

:iagree: besides, we only collect exclusives...

Spazzy
11-19-2012, 05:25 PM
If PCS offers a membership that they get a chance to order a collectible before going to the masses that would be cool.

Awesome
11-19-2012, 05:29 PM
a subscription service would be cool but of course if more people are in it than statues being made it wouldn't work out.

SARFARAZ
11-19-2012, 05:47 PM
I thought of this idea too, but it won't work. These statues are going to be limited. Now if you get over 500/600 subscribers, they won't be limited and also if someone just wants 1 or 2 characters, what are they suppose to do?

kagero_no_mai
11-19-2012, 06:07 PM
Now if you get over 500/600 subscribers, they won't be limited and also if someone just wants 1 or 2 characters, what are they suppose to do?

I know, but it would work if there's actually only a bunch of people interested in committing blindly in a full year of product.
It seems there are not many willing to do that, so far we can count only two.
I think even 30-40 units reserved to subscribers won't have that much of an influence on total es.

And those wanting only selected characters could still order in day-of sale, subscription would only be for those who are interested in all the characters..they commit so they can be sure they won't miss any.

Batminator
11-19-2012, 06:14 PM
There is atleast one reason this shouldn't happen. Statues should not be limited to those with the deepest pockets.

I realize collecting statues is an expensive hobby in itself, but that is not an argument against mine.

kagero_no_mai
11-19-2012, 06:52 PM
Statues should not be limited to those with the deepest pockets.

I think you misunderstood what I meant.
I didn't mean that you could get the statue only if you signed the subscription.
They could still be bought on a regular sale as it has always been.
I meant that people who are willing to commit to an year worth of product get their statue 'reserved' as a bonus so that they are sure they won't miss any.

Of course this is feasible only if reservations turn out to be just a small percentage of the total es, otherwise collectability would be compromised.

Dan_Lebou
11-19-2012, 07:04 PM
Why not just have say a 2 day window before general release where buyers of the previous statue in a line can get their order in first.

This would give loyal customers and those who are interested in buying a whole line a thank you gesture from PCS but wouldn't need to affect ES.

premium_substit
11-19-2012, 08:26 PM
I would get a PCS subscription if it included a 12 month live cam feed of the PCS workshop..

:D

The next 12 months seems like 1 for the ages

MrYac
11-19-2012, 08:27 PM
Why not just have say a 2 day window before general release where buyers of the previous statue in a line can get their order in first.

thats only fair to completionists really, like me for example i'll be totally up front and say i have no intentions of buying about 90% of the characters Jerry is going to make, but does that mean when he finally does make the 1 character i want more then anything i'm out of luck because i didn't want the previous 5 that i have no interest in?

testsubject25
11-19-2012, 08:32 PM
I would get a PCS subscription if it included a 12 month live cam feed of the PCS workshop..

I'm glad that webcam idea didn't end where I thought it was going to! :laugh:

And yes it does! :goodpost:

OuttaSight
11-19-2012, 08:33 PM

Wouldnt be nearly as much fun as you may think...

Everyone works from their individual homes.

MrYac
11-19-2012, 08:35 PM

let me see a picture of their wives or girlfriends before i rethink the course of action

testsubject25
11-19-2012, 08:36 PM
let me see a picture of their wives or girlfriends before i rethink the course of action

:hilarious:

marvelboi77
11-19-2012, 08:44 PM

I can attest to this... During the summer it's like a sweat shop....:bawling:

MONSTER
11-19-2012, 08:47 PM

I'd sign up for an exclusive club. Good idea Michael!

Freon
11-20-2012, 12:23 AM
I'd get in on this for sure with MOTU because I'm really worried after what happened with Reptile that I'll miss out on some characters that I want. As long as I could pass on any that came out and not lose out on my membership or anything.

Dan_Lebou
11-20-2012, 03:53 AM
thats only fair to completionists really, like me for example i'll be totally up front and say i have no intentions of buying about 90% of the characters Jerry is going to make, but does that mean when he finally does make the 1 character i want more then anything i'm out of luck because i didn't want the previous 5 that i have no interest in?

I'm thinking of it from a business point of view.

If PCS made a statue with an ES of say 500, if they sold out in those first two days (it could be limited to 1 per customer during this period to avoid bulk buyers) then they've made their money and they've also kept their loyal customers - the completists who are providing them with their regular income happy and gaining their continued business.

If the statues don't sell out within those first two days then they become open to everyone else - ie: those who aren't providing or offering ongoing regular continued business.

kagero_no_mai
11-20-2012, 05:08 AM
I'm thinking of it from a business point of view.

If PCS made a statue with an ES of say 500, if they sold out in those first two days (it could be limited to 1 per customer during this period to avoid bulk buyers) then they've made their money and they've also kept their loyal customers - the completists who are providing them with their regular income happy and gaining their continued business.

If the statues don't sell out within those first two days then they become open to everyone else - ie: those who aren't providing or offering ongoing regular continued business.

Jerry said he tought a lot about this, but the idea was scrapped as he wants to keep the es low to ensure the hype and collectability of his lines.

BarrelCannon
11-20-2012, 08:24 AM
Subscriptions can encourage them not to try their best(even though I'm sure they won't). I'd rather have a subscription to have a chance to buy the product first before it is allowed for public purchase

kagero_no_mai
11-20-2012, 08:33 AM
Subscriptions can encourage them not to try their best

Not really..they'd still need to do their best to be able to sell the remaining 90% of the product (i.e. the quota not reserved to subscribers)

derekrodneysim
11-20-2012, 09:14 AM
If PCS offers a membership that they get a chance to order a collectible before going to the masses that would be cool.

Interesting concept. Like Starbucks :D

Applicable discounts and a free one for every 10 :laugh:

derekrodneysim
11-20-2012, 09:24 AM

:goodpost:

Jerry just doesn't want us to see all the horseplay that goes behind the scenes. They sculpt 1 hour a day and monkey around the rest of the day. Wet towel smacks and noogies :D

Batminator
11-20-2012, 06:41 PM
I think you misunderstood what I meant.
I didn't mean that you could get the statue only if you signed the subscription.
They could still be bought on a regular sale as it has always been.
I meant that people who are willing to commit to an year worth of product get their statue 'reserved' as a bonus so that they are sure they won't miss any.

Of course this is feasible only if reservations turn out to be just a small percentage of the total es, otherwise collectability would be compromised.

Valid points, but any reservation is compromising peoples chance of getting one without having deep enough pockets to fulfill the requirements of the subscription.

It takes only one paying completist in such a subscription setup to lower the chance for everyone else and not making it an equal opportunity for everyone.

equi-nox76
11-21-2012, 07:47 AM
I would be in for that.