PDA

View Full Version : Lets discuss the pre-ordering system

OuttaSight
12-05-2012, 02:49 PM
This is a thread to share your thoughts on our pre-order system. Your comments, criticisms, praises, whatever...

After a few posts I will go in and post my thoughts.

testsubject25
12-05-2012, 02:52 PM
I like the e-mail system, but I see where some might not care for it. However, if you go all online cart with the same low ES, your site is going to crash HARD with that many people trying to get orders in. I honestly feel there will be a lot of sour grapes from people timing out etc., even though they were on and ready to order. I also see how you'd be at your wits end with the emails, so you're between the devil and the deep blue sea trying to find a system that works both for you and the bulk of the customers.

edit: While I understand you're desire to go online, I don't think that everybody realizes the best chance is actually the email. Losing out on a preorder due to a site crashing is the worst feeling, next to getting a broken statue, in this hobby, IMO. Having said all of that, I'm just along for the ride! :D

ShinRafa
12-05-2012, 02:55 PM
I like the e-mail system!!!!!!!!!!!keep that please the online cart is not a good idea....

dEATHm3RCHANT
12-05-2012, 03:01 PM
Have only used the email system 3 times, I personally like it. I don't see how there can be a "more fair" way. Time stamps on e-mail is the most accurate way I can think of determining who got there order in first. This is a tough one to answer.

Batminator
12-05-2012, 03:02 PM
The reason the e-mail system gets so many mails, is because everyone knows they have ONE shot. Look at Scorpion EX on Sideshow, it took 5 hours to sell out.

I don't think the cart system will be as stressfull, neither for us or the website.

Sigep756
12-05-2012, 03:11 PM
E-mailing is stressful and discouraging. If I have a bad experience, I would be less inclined to try again in the future. I much prefer carts, or even the old Sideshow "Priority Pre-Order" system.

Awesome
12-05-2012, 03:26 PM
Ditch the 3 payment option system and just do a flat 25-30% deposit on order, make it so that the cart does not hold the statue and make it so that the order is only complete once you completely checkout. There might be a few oversells but it happens.

testsubject25
12-05-2012, 03:30 PM
Ditch the 3 payment option system and just do a flat 25-30% deposit on order, make it so that the cart does not hold the statue and make it so that the order is only complete once you completely checkout. There might be a few oversells but it happens.

Why ditch the payments? How does that affect anything? Personally, I like the discount for paying up front. Totally agree on the checkout to complete order concept. Does any site actually even use the "hold in cart" concept for stuff like this?

MrYac
12-05-2012, 03:32 PM
honestly this really is a no win, the email thing seems like way more of a pain for you personally and it's a bit nerve racking on us, but as Test said having to wait for a page to refresh or a crash (anybody who tried for the monthly MOTU figures from matty.com knows what i mean) is so much more annoying then wondering if your mail makes it in time

NorthernLadMSP
12-05-2012, 03:32 PM
So, can you explain exactly how the e-mail thing works? I've heard of people sometimes e-mailing from 4-5 addresses to try and beat the system.

Personally, I think those people should be disqualified totally from ordering.

AstroWho
12-05-2012, 03:33 PM
This is a thread to share your thoughts on our pre-order system. Your comments, criticisms, praises, whatever...

My Only complaint is with the World Clock Site you chose to use this time around. http://www.timeticker.com/
It wasn't In Synch with my PC, Cell Phone or IPad. When I brought up that World Clock Site on my Smart Phone, it was 2 seconds faster than that Same World Clock Site on my PC and my IPad had a 3 to 4 seconds difference between the Three SAME Sites I used.
Normally no one cares but when you're dealing with a situation like this where EVERY second counts?? It's really Important to get this right. There has been a few people on here that has stated that they mailed their's at so and so time and it didn't arrive till many seconds to two minutes later?
On the previous few orders like Reptile, Sagat and the Sub-Zero Bust. You used this World Clock Site. http://www.time.gov/timezone.cgi?Pacific/d/-8
All I know is this, My Smart Phone, PC and IPad were ALL In Synch on that site. And when I went to order, I not only got ALL Three items But I got the Artist Proof too. I didn't do anything different this time around but because all three computers had a different time running on it? I had to guess which clock to go by? All I know is this time around I didn't get an Artist Proof. I didn't even get the Ex! So, I have no idea what time your World Clock Numbers looked like as compared to mine where they were seconds apart being right next to each other.
So, I blame this World Clock site you chose this time around and hope you go back to the Previous World Clock you used for ALL the other orders.

testsubject25
12-05-2012, 03:35 PM
honestly this really is a no win, the email thing seems like way more of a pain for you personally and it's a bit nerve racking on us, but as Test said having to wait for a page to refresh or a crash (anybody who tried for the monthly MOTU figures from matty.com knows what i mean) is so much more annoying then wondering if your mail makes it in time

See, that's where I'm coming from. I'm wondering if anybody who actually votes for the cart, has spent much time on trying to get drops from Matty, Mondo, and other sites. It's not a good system, and I guarantee, there will be a LOT more ruffled feathers than there are with the email system.

testsubject25
12-05-2012, 03:37 PM
My Only complaint is with the World Clock Site you chose to use this time around. http://www.timeticker.com/
It wasn't In Synch with my PC, Cell Phone or IPad. When I brought up that World Clock Site on my Smart Phone, it was 2 seconds faster than that Same World Clock Site on my PC and my IPad had a 3 to 4 seconds difference between the Three SAME Sites I used.
Normally no one cares but when you're dealing with a situation like this where EVERY second counts?? It's really Important to get this right. There has been a few people on here that has stated that they mailed their's at so and so time and it didn't arrive till many seconds to two minutes later?
On the previous few orders like Reptile, Sagat and the Sub-Zero Bust. You used this World Clock Site. http://www.time.gov/timezone.cgi?Pacific/d/-8
All I know is this, My Smart Phone, PC and IPad were ALL In Synch on that site. And when I went to order, I not only got ALL Three items But I got the Artist Proof too. I didn't do anything different this time around but because all three computers had a different time running on it? I had to guess which clock to go by? All I know is this time around I didn't get an Artist Proof. I didn't even get the Ex! So, I have no idea what time your World Clock Numbers looked like as compared to mine where they were seconds apart being right next to each other.
So, I blame this World Clock site you chose this time around and hope you go back to the Previous World Clock you used for ALL the other orders.

I noticed the clock was off from my PC as well! But that's when I just said, "well crap, I'm just going to use the clock that we're supposed to use and I'll ignore my PC." I understand that frustration though, as all of our tech gear is in synch, but that world clock was not.

I and I
12-05-2012, 03:38 PM
For now, I prefer the email systems because it's also very clear on the when, how and where. For instance, Scorpion SSC Ex. It took hours before it was finally put online. Now I don't mind waiting but since it's usually night time here, and I have school or exams the following morning, it can be quite painful. I'd rather wait until the time comes for me to send an email then something vague like 'somewhere this Thursday perhaps'. So whatever you do, please be always clear on the timing. Saves a lot of aggravation.

If the edition size is about the same as Scorpion and the popularity of the character as well, then it might be very well possible that an emailing system will still sell it out in a few minutes while a cart system can take a few hours. For some reason, the emailing system feels more like a lottery and feels like more pressure. I do get why you want to change to the cart system though. 300+ emails to sort through must be a pain and quite a chore. But I don't know whether it would work out. You can always try of course but please be sure that you have a decent server provider that can handle the pressure... Would hate to miss out because of a server overload :p it's more painful then missing out in the email lottery

Goldenpanther
12-05-2012, 03:41 PM

Please put a Cart system - if he wont crash (If it will than keep the emailing system )

Also with the Card add 3 options
pay in full - with shipping when statue is ready
pay deposit than pay in full and shipping when statue is ready
Or make like a 3month payment plan to break up payments in three

Personally I like the first plan - but with the other two plan's there is room for all collectors to be happy .

Please also start a point system -
But instead of a discount on the next statue - when you get a certain amount of points you can buy with those points Art work which you make stretch or John before a statue is completed - ok you can purchase like Shirts or some photo's with a signature something to look forward to - as the people who keep buying will get limited art work - Even like a really nice Photo or Art to go with a statue you have just made - but you can only get it with points

So lets say 1000points will get you limited edition blanka Art - and only 30 are on the site - and everytime you buy a statue u get like 200points Just to add something nice for collectors or if some collectors want they can use the points on discount on the next purchase - it adds excited fun and something to look forward too

:hi:

MrYac
12-05-2012, 03:44 PM
. I'm wondering if anybody who actually votes for the cart, has spent much time on trying to get drops from Matty, Mondo, and other sites.

oh the joys of sitting on a white screen telling me not to refresh for 30 minutes all the while the figure you want is selling out

dr_teng
12-05-2012, 03:47 PM
I really like the system as is. It's exciting and it's pretty refreshing compared to the frustration of dealing with Mondo and the like. At least I don't have to wait around hammering a site that's not working for 30 minutes trying to check out and not getting the item. 2 seconds and boom, I get it or I don't.

Goldenpanther
12-05-2012, 03:49 PM
Carts (If he doesnt work more collectors will be upset with you )
However the emailing system will always work - if you not there right time right place you miss out - althou even with the emailing system you sholud still do a point system - personally I will keep the emailing system - and register the people email and sent up user name to you site so you can add points to registered user's

I for one have followed Sideshow for 4years But I have dropped all to follow popculture shock as you bring joy and excitement + great statues to the hobby

Sideshow - prices go up , messed up paint ap's
Things get delayed
quality control is not always there -

Im not saying anything bad about Sideshow - your emailing system is great -
I think a cart if crashes can make more collectors not want to follow for the disappointment -
but with the emailing system well - No body can complain

Awesome
12-05-2012, 03:52 PM
Why ditch the payments? How does that affect anything? Personally, I like the discount for paying up front. Totally agree on the checkout to complete order concept. Does any site actually even use the "hold in cart" concept for stuff like this?

Having only one payment option would simplify the checkout process and it would be easier for Jerry so he wouldn't have to be keeping tabs on people making payments every few months unless he gets a flex auto charge system like Sideshow does.

premium_substit
12-05-2012, 03:55 PM
I've seen enough to know the email system is legit.. at first it seemed it could literally be a "lottery system", which to some extent it is (given the amount of emails that come in), but it is legit in the sense it does go by when you get your e-mail in - you just have to be there at the time.. Truthfully I've really been enjoying it.. I'm going to miss the after-party as we wait for results etc, it's been a part of the fun.. Also think u've been a class act in how you sort through the emails, send out correspnding emails, look after people who think their email didn't go throug, send out waitlists, reminders, etc - it's alot of work but you've really taken care of your business, even after establishing yourself - kind of seems different to me, but in a good way, you must be trying to get the direct thing off to a good start, or must be a believer in 'if you want it done right, do it yourself'. Uve really taken care of ppl from this forum to even tho it isn't ur obligation i.e. some ppl who think they didnt get an email from you, and you tell them they they did, just knowing by their alias :laugh:

Cart will be cool too though.. but I still want the email thing on occasion. it's now a PCS thing :D

Also I would like to see you do the video raffle idea for APs on occasion, out of the final amount who fall into the ES

Goldenpanther
12-05-2012, 03:55 PM

keep the emailing system if you want help with the emails sorting out I will gladly do it for free -

cart will anger more collectors some one in india or new york saying the internet crashed I didnt get my statue and on and on ....

for emailing no one is to blame
How you doing it now u doing it right
just get user's to start up account and u transfer points us points for art work

:thumbs2::thumbs2::thumbs2:

Quest99
12-05-2012, 03:56 PM
Well i came into pre ordering day for Alex with a 2-0 record and felt pretty confident. I sent the email at 3.00pm on the dot and you received it 2 full minutes later. I was feeling like crap for the rest of the day. I only sent out one email out for each statue. I am happy to be able to snag a regular Alex, but I know that in the future I will have to do like some of the others have done....by sending multiple emails.....resulting in even more emails and bottle neck at your end.

Punchy
12-05-2012, 03:56 PM
I haven't used the new preorder system yet, but my time is coming once more World Warriors go up for preorder.

The email system is a scary thought since after securing my first 8 WWs, I'm almost entering into a lottery to complete my collection. On the other hand, a future cart system would likely crash the site creating a drawn out preorder window that I may not be able to sit through at work (if at all). It's a tough choice for sure.

My main hope would be the edition sizes are a little more generous to accommodate anticipated demand (especially the larger World Warriors demand).

Ultimately I understand these direct sales will be more profitable for PCS and lead to a greater variety of characters so I support whatever direction preordering takes. I just hope when all is said and done I can secure my regular Dhalsim, Blanka, Balrog, and Honda.

Goldenpanther
12-05-2012, 03:59 PM
Well i came into pre ordering day for Alex with a 2-0 record and felt pretty confident. I sent the email at 3.00pm on the dot and you received it 2 full minutes later. I was feeling like crap for the rest of the day. I only sent out one email out for each statue. I am happy to be able to snag a regular Alex, but I know that in the future I will have to do like some of the others have done....by sending multiple emails.....resulting in even more emails and bottle neck at your end.

luck u got a regular because if a cart crashes u aint get nothing AT ALL

Deadking92
12-05-2012, 04:00 PM
I really think that it might just be best if you keep the cart system for possibly regular versions of the statue and keep the mailing system for the exclusives. This is most likely good to keep the edge for hardcore collectors or other casual collectors like me who pick the statue they like and don't look for completing the line. If we like an exclusive just go for the mailing system.

I and I
12-05-2012, 04:02 PM
I just hope when all is said and done I can secure my regular Dhalsim, Blanka, Balrog, and Honda.
same but exclusive Dhalsim, exclusive Blanka and perhaps exclusive Honda :thumbs2:

testsubject25
12-05-2012, 04:03 PM
luck u got a regular because if a cart crashes u aint get nothing AT ALL

yep, that's a whole lot worse, and I'm speaking from experience.

Mamba
12-05-2012, 04:03 PM
So why Jerry allows people to send multiple emails? Wouldn't that be a time consuming for him to go through all the emails? Does Jerry check to see if the emails come from the same IP address?

Why not discouraging people to send multiple emails by telling people their order will be cancelled if Jerry gets multiple emails from the same email address or same IP address?

Yes I understand he could get over 600 emails? but how many are they are truly a unique email per person?

dEATHm3RCHANT
12-05-2012, 04:04 PM
I don't see how the cart system wont bog down,its been proven over and over again to do just that. That's the only problem I see with the cart scenario.

With the cart system I think you will have just as many or more problems with who got what first. You will also have a ton of people angered by the fact the site crashed, then you have complete disaster. Jerry, I think you got it right with the KISS method :)

testsubject25
12-05-2012, 04:04 PM
So why Jerry allows people to send multiple emails? Wouldn't that be a time consuming for him to go through all the emails? Does Jerry check to see if the emails come from the same IP address?

Why not discouraging people to send multiple emails by telling people their order will be cancelled if Jerry gets multiple emails from the same email address or same IP address?

Yes I understand he could get over 600 emails? but how many are they are truly a unique email per person?

That's the one part I like. One email per IP. You're all looking at the exact same clock and screen.

dEATHm3RCHANT
12-05-2012, 04:06 PM

Or filter by Paypal address? Yes, you can have more than one but its a counter measure at least.

Awesome
12-05-2012, 04:07 PM
or if all of this is a problem you can just keep on using Sideshow for the exclusives and regulars, and keep the e-mail system for your PCSC exclusive there will always be a problem since people are going to continue being angry.

testsubject25
12-05-2012, 04:07 PM
If a "one email per IP or you get DQ'd" rule went into play, I think we'll see a whole hell of a lot less clutter, lol

dao2
12-05-2012, 04:09 PM
If the site can handle it the cart system will work fine, if it can't that would be an issue...

Quest99
If a "one email per IP or you get DQ'd" rule went into play, I think we'll see a whole hell of a lot less clutter, lol

Weapons of choice cut down to smart phones and desktop. :thinking:

Mamba
But my question is why he is allowing people to send multiple emails? What is the advantage for him?

If he said he will disqualify order if he sees multiple emails from same email address or ip address, I am sure that will discourage people to send multiple emails which means less hassle for Jerry.

testsubject25
12-05-2012, 04:10 PM
If the site can handle it the cart system will work fine, if it can't that would be an issue...

It won't be able to. I have yet to see a site that can.

NorthernLadMSP
12-05-2012, 04:11 PM
But my question is why he is allowing people to send multiple emails? What is the advantage for him?

If he said he will disqualify order if he sees multiple emails from same email address or ip address, I am sure that will discourage people to send multiple emails which means less hassle for Jerry.

Agreed, that's what I also said just a little while ago. There is no reason to allow one person to send 4-5 e-mails. If it were me, I would disqualify them.

Goldenpanther
12-05-2012, 04:12 PM
Hi Jerry thank you for replying in the other thread

If it has the pay in full option and its a cart like sideshow ( and doesnt crash ) its all good

please do the points system with the limited art

U are the BEST ;)

loricstone
12-05-2012, 04:13 PM
See, that's where I'm coming from. I'm wondering if anybody who actually votes for the cart, has spent much time on trying to get drops from Matty, Mondo, and other sites. It's not a good system, and I guarantee, there will be a LOT more ruffled feathers than there are with the email system.

I had a problem with Matty system when they first released MOTUC. But just this past month, I had no problems getting everything I wanted. I was on at 9am sharp. Took me about 3 minutes to get everything done. No problems.

See, I think initially, it might be an issue getting all the kinks worked out of a cart system. IN fact, SS was far, far worse than Matty every was with their Priority Pre-Order system which I am glad they did away with.

I just think, as long as your edition sizes of the statues are just right (not too low - not too high), no one will have any problem ordering. A statue such as Shao Kahn, should have an edition size of at least 350. At this size, you won't have people having heart attacks while trying to order using the email system. Those who want Shao (and I know that will be many), will get one without the stress of the email system.

Klear Knives
12-05-2012, 04:13 PM
This is my first pcs piece and i was fine. that being said maybe next time i won't be. the cart system will fail and a prime example is the ----ty cart system MONDO tees has. There system is a joke. I say use the email system i followed the clock provide and it was offset from my iphone and cpu. but i followed and just sent two emails one for reg and one for ex.

Mamba
12-05-2012, 04:15 PM
Agreed, that's what I also said just a little while ago. There is no reason to allow one person to send 4-5 e-mails. If it were me, I would disqualify them.

I hope Jerry will explain here why he is allowing people to send multiple emails, it makes no sense to me.

Klear Knives
12-05-2012, 04:16 PM
i do agree that if you send multi emails you should be disqualified. its not fair to flood the email stream because you can't follow direction and send an email at the appropriate time.
multi emails = fail/sorry about your luck

maybe tweek the cart system: do the email system and when you get the lottery email it has a confirmation number inside email. you take said conf# and go to pcs website and checkout on the website using the conf#

loricstone
12-05-2012, 04:16 PM
I really like the system as is. It's exciting and it's pretty refreshing compared to the frustration of dealing with Mondo and the like. At least I don't have to wait around hammering a site that's not working for 30 minutes trying to check out and not getting the item. 2 seconds and boom, I get it or I don't.

What the hell is Mondo? Who is he? I see this mention and have no idea who or what the hell it or he is. :thinking:

dEATHm3RCHANT
12-05-2012, 04:17 PM
Maybe Jerry can ask SSC how many transactions a system like that can handle at one time. Assuming this is with low ES's this may be the most direct way to answer this question. If a cart method is chosen I just hope the system has a proper way to queue the requests because if not this could essentially turn the process into a kind of lottery.

Klear Knives
12-05-2012, 04:18 PM
I hope Jerry will explain here why he is allowing people to send multiple emails, it makes no sense to me.

:iagree::iagree::iagree::iagree::iagree::iagree::iagree::iagree::iagree::iagree:

loricstone
Having only one payment option would simplify the checkout process and it would be easier for Jerry so he wouldn't have to be keeping tabs on people making payments every few months unless he gets a flex auto charge system like Sideshow does.

Thats what Microsoft Excel is for.

testsubject25
What the hell is Mondo? Who is he? I see this mention and have no idea who or what the hell it or he is. :thinking:

Prints poster etc.

You need balls of steel to collect their stuff. :laugh:

Goldenpanther
12-05-2012, 04:19 PM

they make limited edition poster's

Klear Knives
12-05-2012, 04:20 PM

mondotees is a poster company. they have various artist do posters and they sell them on their website. They are a bunch of scumbags and the cart system they use is from the stone age. fails everytime.

mondotees.com

Awesome
12-05-2012, 04:20 PM
Thats what Microsoft Excel is for.

Maybe he doesn't want to use Excel, that is why a 25% deposit on order and final payment + shipping before shipment is easier.

OuttaSight
12-05-2012, 04:22 PM
These are great posts. It really makes me happy to see collectors so actively involved in the process.

Limiting it to one email per address wont work as it costs nothing to create a bunch of alternate email addresses.

Trying to check IPs is not only incredibly time consuming, but according to my IT guy, completely inaccurate as there are tons of software now available to disguise your IP.

Anyone who wants to get around those two things can.

I like the email system but its far too much work on our end and with the future being two or three items released per month it would become a full time job for someone to wrangle.

So it has to go to a cart system. But I want to make it a good experience...I dont want it crashing on you.

As far as points system...yes, absolutely....but i need more time to work it out.

loricstone
I don't see how the cart system wont bog down,its been proven over and over again to do just that. That's the only problem I see with the cart scenario.

With the cart system I think you will have just as many or more problems with who got what first. You will also have a ton of people angered by the fact the site crashed, then you have complete disaster. Jerry, I think you got it right with the KISS method :)

That's not true. It sure as hell didn't bog down for the Scorpion Exclusive. And everyone had ample time to acquire one. So the cart works fine!

I and I
have you never had an email not arriving at all? It happens. And quite often actually...
I'm not saying that 8+ emails are okay but 2-3 shouldn't be that big of a deal?

dEATHm3RCHANT
Has anyone here ever experienced a cart system used in this way actually work without bogging down, timing out, crashing, etc..? Id like to know.

MrYac
12-05-2012, 04:23 PM
i'd totally be the full time email checker for PCS, do you guys offer any health insurance?

I and I
I like the email system but its far too much work on our end and with the future being two or three items released per month it would become a full time job for someone to wrangle.

I'd gladly work for you doing that :dork: :p and help you with site updates, facebook, twitter and whatnot :dork:

:D

loricstone
It won't be able to. I have yet to see a site that can.

How can you say that? SS works fine!

OuttaSight
12-05-2012, 04:24 PM
mondotees is a poster company. they have various artist do posters and they sell them on their website. They are a bunch of scumbags and the cart system they use is from the stone age. fails everytime.

mondotees.com

Curious why you dislike them so much ? Because the cart crashes or are there other reasons ?

Im really trying to study every company I can find that sells very limited items direct to see what works and what doesnt work.

testsubject25
12-05-2012, 04:25 PM
Alright, so it sounds like we're moving to carts. That part sounds decided, so let's just make Jerry get a great system now! :laugh:

I and I
12-05-2012, 04:26 PM
when I want to try and buy a mondo, the site's almost always down the instant after they announced it on facebook :( and then it's really frustrating to see them appear on Evilbay thrice the price :(
also they don't announce stuff which is incredible annoying if you don't spend every second on facebook and such

Deadking92
I understand that everybody is worried about the cart system failing but in my university we have a similar system in which roughly 9 am the system goes live and all the students are supposed to pick the classes they want. If your late u get a pretty bad schedule but I have had good experiences with that system and we also have around 500 students at the same time using the system. So if the system is possibly developed properly im sure we can ensure less system failures

OuttaSight
Alright, so it sounds like we're moving to carts. That part sounds decided, so let's just make Jerry get a great system now! :laugh:

well Im having the cart built but if it doesnt work as well as email then id rethink it.

I just dont like the cost of a full time email checker as

1) they add cost which I have to pass on to you and as you see Ive been really trying hard to lower prices

and

2) They will make a lot more mistakes than i will since its my company.

testsubject25
12-05-2012, 04:27 PM
when I want to try and buy a mondo, the site's almost always down the instant after they announced it on facebook :( and then it's really frustrating to see them appear on Evilbay thrice the price :(
also they don't announce stuff which is incredible annoying if you don't spend every second on facebook and such

yeah the random time is annoying as hell, but if you think the crashing is bad then, imagine if they had a designated time for the posters to go up!

dEATHm3RCHANT
12-05-2012, 04:27 PM
That's not true. It sure as hell didn't bog down for the Scorpion Exclusive. And everyone had ample time to acquire one. So the cart works fine!

Yes, that's because there were ample supply available. You could not apply this scenario to the reptile sale when they sold out in seconds and not in 5 hours.

I and I
12-05-2012, 04:28 PM
you can pay in discounts for statues ;) :p

MrYac
12-05-2012, 04:28 PM
i'd be plenty thorough, and my rates are surprisingly reasonable:p but all in all the carts just need to be built to handle a lot of stress at once, there is of course the chance that as said above without people as worried about instant email sellouts the traffic could be more managable on release day

testsubject25
12-05-2012, 04:29 PM
well Im having the cart built but if it doesnt work as well as email then id rethink it.

1) they add cost which I have to pass on to you and as you see Ive been really trying hard to lower prices

and

I definitely see where you're coming from, and like I said before, it's a tough spot to be in. My only suggestion would be to not go cheap on your online checkout system. Mondo is an absolute NIGHTMARE. Will you stick with designated times or go to random times?

loricstone
12-05-2012, 04:29 PM

mondotees.com

Well if the cart system is a big fail like Mondo then I can understand doing the email thing. But if it is effective like SS and even Matty now (I haven't had a problem lately) then by all means do the cart system.

MrYac
12-05-2012, 04:31 PM
and even Matty now

but it took them what, 2 years of severeal releases a month to finally get it right, and they're the largest toy company in the friggin world

premium_substit
12-05-2012, 04:32 PM
The cart will be a time saver for sure.. stop multiple emails from one person because they know they've secured their order.. weed out those who aren't serious and just read a message about an email at a set time on some action figure site and their OCD nature compelled them to send it even though they didn't intend on paying

One things for sure, include that "T number" sideshow uses to confirm orders.. back when they had lower ES, I can't tell you how much of a relief, and how safe and secure you felt getting that T number :tongue:.. make it a "P number" for PCS, but make it clear if it didn't get through that it is a "WL number" (waitlist number of some sort)

dEATHm3RCHANT
12-05-2012, 04:33 PM
Cart systems are fine when you have like 200 ES without AP's involved. There is no way you can determine who definitely got in first with a cart system without some kind of delay. When you have a small ES like 50-150 with a small number of AP's its imperative to have precision to be fair.

I appreciate Jerry caring who was first in line to get an item with an ES of 50. It shows he cares about fairness and his customers.

premium_substit
12-05-2012, 04:34 PM
Cart systems are fine when you have like 200 ES without AP's involved. There is no way you can determine who definitely got in first with a cart system without some kind of delay. When you have a small ES like 50-150 with a small number of AP's its imperative to have precision to be fair.

Well this is where I would like to see Jerry do the video raffle idea he mentioned a little while back.. that would be a really fun way to see who got one, and a message from our host at the after-party :D (also if someone doesn't collect their AP, there is avideo evidence, and we can be like "what an eeediot"

testsubject25
12-05-2012, 04:35 PM
Well this is where I would like to see Jerry do the video raffle idea he mentioned a little while back.. that would bea really fun way to see who got one, and a message from out host at the after-party :D (also if someone doesn't collect their AP, there is avideo evidence, and we can be like "what an eeediot"

Oh I love that idea, lol. Good stuff.

Goldenpanther
12-05-2012, 04:38 PM

and

what about the limited art for the points system did you like that idea ? this will be interesting for the hardcore collectors dont u think

loricstone
12-05-2012, 04:41 PM
Yes, that's because there were ample supply available. You could not apply this scenario to the reptile sale when they sold out in seconds and not in 5 hours.

And that's what I am saying.:thumbs2: The edition sizes of whatever statue Jerry does is the key to how this whole engine runs. This is why I am for a higher Ex. run and the same number for a regular run.

Most may not agree, but lets use Shao Kahn for example.

I would go 250 ex. / 250 regular. That would not make the cart system bog down like you all are thinking. Just think, the Scorpion Ex. was 150 right? (I can't remember) and there was no problems whatsoever. I mean none! Everyone had equal time to preorder one. The cart system works fine.

ANd hell, some may think, well, 250 is too high for an ex. My answer is, no it sure as hell isn't. Especially for a popular character such as Shao. Even if Jerry was doing this for Spikor for MOTU (as an example), then it should be an Exclusive character at strictly 200 with no regular.

Anyway, this is just one of the thoughts going through my head as to why the cart system would work. I don't see any problems as long as its running efficiently and correctly.

tradin_jake
12-05-2012, 04:41 PM
Long time lurker, first time (second time?) poster.

I got lucky and jumped into getting these statues at the perfect time. I was able to snag a Reptile EX and also the Scorpion EX. Since I was able to get both statues, both experiences were positive for me.

But, as others have said, the cart system can be an absolute disaster. I've been collecting the Masters of the Universe Classics from MattyCollector.com since the beginning and have missed out on several deals while watching an order screen re-load, etc. Often, after the screen would finally refresh, I wouldn't be able to check out because some of the items in my cart had sold out and I'd need to re-do my entire checkout, etc. There have been countless other problems (that I don't want to list here), but ultimately it made ordering anything from the site horrible. It has gotten much better lately (and I've moved to subscriptions), but it was horrible for a long time.

It might not be bad if we're just ordering one statue at a time and I'd have to think the number of people ordering would be much less than the traffic on MattyCollector so many of my issues might not be a problem, but it's still a minor concern.

Personally, I liked the email system because it only forced me to worry about one thing when ordering: sending an email. If we're using a cart system, I presumably need to worry about credit card information, mailing information, payment information, etc. Obviously, I can probably set most of that up prior to the order (or decide what I'm doing before ordering), but it's just a lot more information that can go wrong (and a lot more buttons to click) and prevent me from getting the exclusives, etc.

With all that said, I certainly understand not wanting to hire someone to sift through emails. If you can get a cart system that works as well as Sideshow did for the Scorpion statue, then it's not a problem, but I certainly liked the simplicity of the email system from my perspective.

loricstone
12-05-2012, 04:43 PM
but it took them what, 2 years of severeal releases a month to finally get it right, and they're the largest toy company in the friggin world

Yes, but toys at $20 vs. statues at $300+ is no contest. There is about a thousand times as many people ordering action figures. That's the difference. And even with this many still ordering MOTUC and their DC and Ghostbusters lines, its running smoothly.

So it works.

Goldenpanther
12-05-2012, 04:45 PM

and

if u give me one statue a month I will be your full time checker ( With the option to work over time )

MrYac
12-05-2012, 04:45 PM
but my point is it works now, how long did they screw up before they finally got it right. and as you said thousands vs hundreds, if people couldn't get 1 of a couple thousand $20 figures what chance do many have of getting 1 of 100 statues given the same issues?

loricstone
12-05-2012, 04:47 PM

I appreciate Jerry caring who was first in line to get an item with an ES of 50. It shows he cares about fairness and his customers.

See, now this is where I can see the email system being a viable option....when people want APs. APs are extrememly small (usually 10 - 50). But an Ex. of a big character is not fair. At least there is a little wiggle room as far as time is concerned to acquire an ex.

AP = email system
Ex. / Reg. = cart system

dEATHm3RCHANT
12-05-2012, 04:53 PM
See, now this is where I can see the email system being a viable option....when people want APs. APs are extrememly small (usually 10 - 50). But an Ex. of a big character is not fair. At least there is a little wiggle room as far as time is concerned to acquire an ex.

AP = email system
Ex. / Reg. = cart system

Thanks I understand and agree to your point as well. I think small ES's with AP's need to have a high precision to them. :)

Mister Ski
12-05-2012, 04:54 PM
I have participated in both the Reptile and Alex pre-orders. I like the email system because it generates that sense of nervousness and excitement that is sorely missing in this hobby nowadays. I understand that it might be difficult on PCS's end to sort through all the emails, but perhaps you modify the email system to let people only send one email per item (i.e. - one email for the EX and one email for the Reg). This would cut down on the number of emails.

Goldenpanther
12-05-2012, 04:58 PM
cart system will work fine - look at scorpion EX
Plus u can pay in full and get a discount altho please add a few more numbers to the last 4 world warrior's

Blanka 250Ex Regular 350
E honda 200 ex regular 300
Balrog 150 Ex regular 300
dhalsim 100Ex 200 regular

I THINK with number like this everyone will get one in the day of pre order

MrYac
12-05-2012, 05:02 PM
cart system will work fine -

haha, you need to pick a side buddy. i think this is the 3rd time you've changed your stance in this thread

loricstone
12-05-2012, 05:05 PM
cart system will work fine - look at scorpion EX
Plus u can pay in full and get a discount altho please add a few more numbers to the last 4 world warrior's

Blanka 250Ex Regular 350
E honda 200 ex regular 300
Balrog 150 Ex regular 300
dhalsim 100Ex 200 regular

I THINK with number like this everyone will get one in the day of pre order

Sorry Golden I think all of them should have the same Ex es as the regular. All of them are popular enough characters to do 250 Ex. / 250 regular. All of them!

Goldenpanther
12-05-2012, 05:05 PM
haha, you need to pick a side buddy. i think this is the 3rd time you've changed your stance in this thread

its not about picking side's I wanted the email system
but than checked the other thread and jerry said his going to make a cart system like sideshow so want do you want me to do hold my breath till no oxygen goes to my brain ?!?

if its a cart system and it works than its all peachy!

I and I
12-05-2012, 05:07 PM
the excl should never have the same number as the regular otherwise it wouldn't be an exclusive but just a variant...

Goldenpanther
12-05-2012, 05:07 PM
Sorry Golden I think all of them should have the same Ex es as the regular. All of them are popular enough characters to do 250 Ex. / 250 regular. All of them!

Loricstone do you play street fighter ? Dhalsim can not be the same edition size he is possible the most unpopular character in the franchise

MrYac
12-05-2012, 05:08 PM
the excl should never have the same number as the regular otherwise it wouldn't be an exclusive but just a variant...

well considering all of them are only available in one place doesn't that make them all exclusives anyway?

Loricstone do you play street fighter ? Dhalsim can not be the same edition size he is possible the most unpopular character in the franchise

no F-ing way is Dhalsim less popular then Honda especilly from a collectible standpoint

Goldenpanther

:goodpost:

dEATHm3RCHANT
Here's is the away I look at it. If you want a lottery style system pick the cart. If you don't pick the e-mail, mostly because cart will NEVER be as accurate and fair. Like loricstone and I are saying, the cart system is fine with a reasonably small ES (150 -350). It just doesnt make sense with the ultra small like 10-50 (Usually AP's). This being said, the popularity of the item is key to the success of the cart system. For example another Ryu with a 100 EX ES would not be a good candidate for the cart system.

And if there is an EX ES of like 250 and the first 50 are AP's, I think they should be separated into one cart and one e-mail.

loricstone
12-05-2012, 05:16 PM
:goodpost::thumbs2:

Goldenpanther
12-05-2012, 05:19 PM
well considering all of them are only available in one place doesn't that make them all exclusives anyway?

no F-ing way is Dhalsim less popular then Honda especilly from a collectible standpoint

Ok you could be right - but people will buy E honda because how John will sculp his body muscle Fat - I think he will sell more than Dhalsim

and out of the whole 12 original characters I think most will agree that E honda is better than dhalsim
but it could go either way you could be right .

:thumbs2:

I and I
12-05-2012, 05:20 PM
WHAT?! Dhalsim is awesome :eek:

not really... exclusive is more then just exclusive to a certain store. Look at the Mondo prints for instance. They're not available anywhere else, still the exclusive is usually a variant color that's more limited then the regular. If you're saying they're both exclusive, then why bother with the term at all? Then use just 'variant' and 'limited' to describe them, not 'exclusive'

loricstone
12-05-2012, 05:21 PM

He was my best and favorite character to play (next to Dee Jay) and I can still whip anyone's ass in the SF2 Turbo on the SNES. I won championships with that guy back in the day. I guarantee you more people know about Dhalsim than Alex. And look at how Alex sold out.

Dhalsim is in the MVC fighting games. Trust me, he is popular. Maybe not highly used as much because he is a more complex character to play now (which is why I hate how they changed him starting in Super Street Fighter 2 where you had to hold forward or back to do different kicks and punches). I despised Capcom for doing that, and to me that was the beginning of the end for SF. The cool looking THawk and the great playing Dee Jay and Fei Long was the only saving grace to Super STreet Fighter 2 and Turbo.

MrYac
12-05-2012, 05:21 PM
thats my point, as they stand now they are only variants, and not exclusives as they are ALL exclusives

loricstone
12-05-2012, 05:23 PM

That doesnt make any sense to me You and You. If its different from the regular and limited just the same, and you can only get it from PCSC....that makes it exclusive.

Goldenpanther
12-05-2012, 05:24 PM
http://www.statueforum.com/showthread.php?t=133257

Klear Knives
12-05-2012, 05:25 PM
Curious why you dislike them so much ? Because the cart crashes or are there other reasons ?

Im really trying to study every company I can find that sells very limited items direct to see what works and what doesnt work.

Dude I hate their company with a passion. Has to do with how I had an item in my cart put all the information in and then boom it crashed.

MrYac
12-05-2012, 05:25 PM
http://www.statueforum.com/showthread.php?t=133257

polls on a website don't mean much, awhile back Kung Lao won as most popular Mortal Kombat character....so yeah

Klear Knives
12-05-2012, 05:28 PM
Well if the cart system is a big fail like Mondo then I can understand doing the email thing. But if it is effective like SS and even Matty now (I haven't had a problem lately) then by all means do the cart system.

True I hope you're right. I personally am now hooked on pcs so either way email or cart I know Jerry will pick best for his customers and if we may see issues I know he'll fix them for the next preorder

loricstone
12-05-2012, 05:28 PM
polls on a website don't mean much, awhile back Kung Lao won as most popular Mortal Kombat character....so yeah

Perfect Legend was kicking everyone's butt with Kung Lao...so not surprising....but yeah, polls are misleading. :hilarious:

Goldenpanther
12-05-2012, 05:29 PM
Ok I take back everything I said about dhalsim

http://i1090.photobucket.com/albums/i379/daniocean777/2188a77d31e954ebd32b2e4605a75f97_rectangle_fullsize.png

Choyli-fut75
12-05-2012, 06:14 PM
Well, I did liked the email system, when I ordered Reptile. It was really exciting and thrilling, made the sweeter when I actually got the statue. But with the Alex situation for me, where Jerry didn't even receive the 4 emails I sent, 2 for each the exclusive and the regular version, I now see the flip side of the arguement. I just hate to loose, or anyone else for that matter, to loose out on a statue, due to somehow their email was lost in transit through cyberspace. That's a horrible feeling, waiting all day for the confirmation email from Jerry to see if you got it or not, only to find out he never even received your email. And I'm not talking about sending to the wrong email address. I use the save exact email that I used for Reptile order. So, now I'm leaning more towards a shopping cart method, though the email system made my heart thump so loud with anticipation that I could hear the thump.

testsubject25
12-05-2012, 06:19 PM
It will all depend on the whether system can handle the stress. As long as going from email to cart, isn't the same as going from anticipation to aggravation, I don't think people will mind.

supermetroid
12-05-2012, 06:29 PM
I think the email and cart system (if I'm right in assuming how it works) will have the same result, except that the cart system will more likely have the site crash.

Both ways will not discourage flippers either way but nothing will really. I like the email system myself as long as the clock is right on the money and everyone has a fair chance.

Batminator
12-05-2012, 06:31 PM
Why do some of you think there will be a huge difference between the Scorpion situation (cart, ES 350/200) versus for example Shao Kahn (cart, ES 300/200)?

testsubject25
12-05-2012, 06:36 PM
Why do some of you think there will be a huge difference between the Scorpion situation (cart, ES 350/200) versus for example Shao Kahn (cart, ES 300/200)?

You know, Shao Kahn would be a perfect test for the cart system. The ES will be high enough to take it for a spin. If the cart goes live with some "EX of 50" and "Reg of 150" type piece, it'll crash for sure. lol

SARFARAZ
12-05-2012, 06:36 PM
As long as it doesn't crash, I'm down with the cart idea.

NorthernLadMSP
12-05-2012, 06:43 PM
I like the cart idea too, but if you have one in your cart, it should "save" it for you for at least 5 minutes. I hate the sites that indicate you have one in your cart only to find out someone else may be stealing yours away.

If after the small window that it holds one for you, then you haven't completed your checkout, then it should go to the next person trying to purchase.

Buddhboy
12-05-2012, 06:47 PM
Why do you guys think the site will crash if there is a cart?Back in 05 Master Replicas had PO a Luke saber with ES of 1000 and sold out if 14 minutes with no crash,Commander Gree helmet in 07 with a ES of 500 and no crash.This was 5+ years ago,I thought tech got better with age no worse.I'll support the cart or email either way.

dEATHm3RCHANT
12-05-2012, 06:49 PM
You know, Shao Kahn would be a perfect test for the cart system. The ES will be high enough to take it for a spin. If the cart goes live with some "EX of 50" and "Reg of 150" type piece, it'll crash for sure. lol

Yea, lol. Jerry please do this to show everyone how good the cart idea goes.

I don't assume the site will "crash" but a 1 to 5 second delay will be all that it takes to loose your spot. Think about it.

Mamba
12-05-2012, 07:28 PM
Jerry already said Shao Kahn will be through email like Alex and Reptile.

I have not done ordering via email yet, Shao Kahn will be my first try. Question if the order will be up at 3:00 PM via email, do we want to hit send exactly at 3:00:00 or 1 or 2 seconds before that time????

I don't know how long does it take for Jerry to get our email once we hit our send button.

SARFARAZ
12-05-2012, 07:35 PM
Yes once it's added to your cart you should be allowed to keep it in there for at least 5 mins..

testsubject25
12-05-2012, 07:36 PM
Jerry already said Shao Kahn will be through email like Alex and Reptile.

I have not done ordering via email yet, Shao Kahn will be my first try. Question if the order will be up at 3:00 PM via email, do we want to hit send exactly at 3:00:00 or 1 or 2 seconds before that time????

I don't know how long does it take for Jerry to get our email once we hit our send button.

EXACTLY, BUT USE THE CLOCK THAT HE LINKS, NOT YOUR PC! :)

It's worked for me so far. :)

Mamba
12-05-2012, 07:38 PM
EXACTLY, BUT USE THE CLOCK THAT HE LINKS, NOT YOUR PC! :)

It's worked for me so far. :)

Ok thanks, hopefully it will work for me too.

Comicbookguy
12-05-2012, 08:14 PM
Yes please keep this email system, I think it's more fair then a lot of pc getting jam on order day.

modus
12-05-2012, 08:53 PM
I don't care for the email system. People can't control when the email will arrive in your inbox.

If we all pressed send at the exact same time nobody in Europe would get their email in before someone in the states.

I'm not saying I can think of a better system but I know for Chun Li I had my email sent at exactly the purchase time according to GMT and I didn't get one.

testsubject25
12-05-2012, 08:59 PM
I don't care for the email system. People can't control when the email will arrive in your inbox.

If we all pressed send at the exact same time nobody in Europe would get their email in before someone in the states.

I'm not saying I can think of a better system but I know for Chun Li I had my email sent at exactly the purchase time according to GMT and I didn't get one.

So are you saying they will have a better connection to a U.S. based online shopping cart while battling everybody in the states?

Skullbocks
12-05-2012, 09:16 PM
Jerry, I thoroughly enjoyed the e-mail ordering system. I missed out on the exclusive but I was able to get a Regular of ALEX. So I came away feeling successful. Just like everyone else here we've all encountered failures using a checkout via cart system. Numerous times I've had an item in cart and when I've gone through the entire checkout process to find out the item has sold out. Not just MONDO but aslo Matty. So I feel e-mail system is a great way of doing things. I know it creates a headache for you but you come away with happy customers :) I know you cant please everyone.

As for your question about MONDO, the cart really never crashed on me but his website was flooded and either didnt work or was very slow. By time you get the page to load the item is sold out. The main thing I dislike is once the item is in your cart it still sells out before you can finish making your purchase. I enjoyed their work at the beginning when things were easier to get. Once everyone found out how much these were going for on EBAY, you encounter more FLIPPERS and lose the true collectors, and usually the true collectors lose out on the item or end up going broke to get something they really wanted. There has been numerous times I've tried to get something I wanted but to come away empty handed. Im not one that can toss around money like its nothing So I refuse to pay $300-500 on at $50 poster. I just find it funny that "MONDO" says you will receive a tweet or its on facebook post to say item is up for sale. By the time the tweet comes out the item has already been sold out way ahead. So as a fan/collector I rarely try for a poster now its just such a pain in the ass to get one. I JUST HOPE THAT PCS DOESNT BECOME LIKE THIS. I know it generates good business but you do lose good fans. Oh and I'm not just hating on MONDO because I wasn't successful, I do own about 10 of his posters that his company has produced.

I just hope maybe on the more popular characters the ES goes up by maybe 100. Gives people a better chance of getting one.

Pryde
12-05-2012, 09:28 PM
Yeah...speaking of flippers....there's a guy on ebay who's already put up his/hers Alex EX up for auction at the whopping costs of $1,200.00.

After seeing some thing like this, it infuriated me, because I feel on my end this flipper is not a true fan of your work, a cunning business man yes, but not a fan....

Big Hulk
12-05-2012, 09:53 PM
Honestly the way you are doing these pre-orders now scare the ---- out of me! I'm so afraid I'm not going to get something I want. If I can't get the MOTU characters I want I may cry...literally....I want them that bad.

OuttaSight
12-05-2012, 09:59 PM
Honestly the way you are doing these pre-orders now scare the ---- out of me! I'm so afraid I'm not going to get something I want. If I can't get the MOTU characters I want I may cry...literally....I want them that bad.

The problem with that isnt the system...its the edition size.

The trick is to try and determine an edition size that will make sure 80% of the people who want one get one.

If its much higher than 80% you run into them losing value which is terrible for collectibles.

If its much lower than 80% then you get too many flippers and the aftermarket prices get so high so fat people get turned off.

Its really really tricky to figure out how many should be made.

But I think Im learning.

dEATHm3RCHANT
12-05-2012, 10:01 PM
That's nothing, look for EXCLUSIVE MECHA ZANGIEF. Now that's ridiculousness. Either way don't blame the flippers its simple economics and is what drives this industry. My vote is for the e-mail method but in the end I trust What Jerry will decide.

yeek
12-05-2012, 10:02 PM

I echo this sentiment!!

Pryde
12-05-2012, 10:07 PM
That's nothing, look for EXCLUSIVE MECHA ZANGIEF. Now that's ridiculousness. Either way don't blame the flippers its simple economics and is what drives this industry. My vote is for the e-mail method but in the end I trust What Jerry will decide.

Isn't regular zangief worth more than mecha gief?

dEATHm3RCHANT
12-05-2012, 10:45 PM
Isn't regular zangief worth more than mecha gief?

Probably. Haven't checked in a while, Just depresses me that I never got one.

ahdaeeeee
12-05-2012, 10:46 PM
The only problem with this email system is that it might be unfair to those who are on the other side of the world. It may be 3pm PST but what about those people living at GMT +4? +5? +6? They have to get up at 3,4,5am just to send an email and work hours later.

Personally I don't mind to do this once a month, but I'm not surprised if I were to overslept once or twice. Even selling through Sideshow which took 5 hours to run out, that is still a short time frame to place your order in.

Anyhow I am fine with the email system for now, it's fun. Why don't we change the order time to 3am PST every other month hahahaha!

testsubject25
12-05-2012, 10:58 PM
The only problem with this email system is that it might be unfair to those who are on the other side of the world. It may be 3pm PST but what about those people living at GMT +4? +5? +6? They have to get up at 3,4,5am just to send an email and work hours later.

Personally I don't mind to do this once a month, but I'm not surprised if I were to overslept once or twice. Even selling through Sideshow which took 5 hours to run out, that is still a short time frame to place your order in.

Anyhow I am fine with the email system for now, it's fun. Why don't we change the order time to 3am PST every other month hahahaha!

I hate to tell ya, but even with a cart system, I fear that you'll have to wake up in the middle of night to order then too. I don't think the times will change, just the method of ordering. You're just waking up and ordering through a cart as opposed to sending an email, which strangely enough, is actually counter to your argument because you'll spend much more time ordering than emailing. :)

ahdaeeeee
12-05-2012, 11:07 PM
That is why I said I am fine with the email system. And I did not say the cart is a better choice. It does increase my chances if I overslept though...

s_paulik87
12-05-2012, 11:09 PM

There is a super easy solution to your problem.

Pack your house up, and move to the West Coast duh.

biglebowski9999
12-05-2012, 11:12 PM
I hate to tell ya, but even with a cart system, I fear that you'll have to wake up in the middle of night to order then too. I don't think the times will change, just the method of ordering. You're just waking up and ordering through a cart as opposed to sending an email, which strangely enough, is actually counter to your argument because you'll spend much more time ordering than emailing. :)

Hey, stop bringing logic into this discussion. :stick:

I don't know why it is, but it seems like many (not all) but many of Jerry's International fans ----- and moan in all of these threads about the release times of preorders, as if he is supposed to cater to 5% of his collector-base instead of the 95% located in North America.

Guys, we realize it sucks, but get over it already. I collect Japanese Transformers and I pay more for them and get them much later than collectors over there. Should I get a pity party, too? :waa:

OuttaSight
12-05-2012, 11:19 PM
he is supposed to cater to 5% of his collector-base instead of the 95% located in North America.

Id say its closer to 30%

ahdaeeeee
12-05-2012, 11:23 PM

I don't know why it is, but it seems like many (not all) but many of Jerry's International fans ----- and moan in all of these threads about the release times of preorders, as if he is supposed to cater to 5% of his collector-base instead of the 95% located in North America.

Guys, we realize it sucks, but get over it already. I collect Japanese Transformers and I pay more for them and get them much later than collectors over there. Should I get a pity party, too? :waa:

How sure are you 95% of the buyers are coming from NA? Don't be too ignorant my friend, I'm sure there are tons international buyers of PCST.

Don't take me wrong, I didn't moan nor complain, I did say I'm fine with it, it's fair for everyone, although you guys have the advantage, but whatever. Besides these PO is only gonna be a once a month or twice a month thing, no biggie. Why so serious? :stick:

Joppula
12-05-2012, 11:26 PM
Omg! More Golden Girls! This time it's Sophia!!!

biglebowski9999
12-05-2012, 11:36 PM
Id say its closer to 30%

I'm shocked it's anywhere close to that, but I'll take your word for it, you know where your stuff is being shipped. :thumbs2:

How sure are you 95% of the buyers are coming from NA? Don't be too ignorant my friend, I'm sure there are tons international buyers of PCST.

Don't take me wrong, I didn't moan nor complain, I did say I'm fine with it, it's fair for everyone, although you guys have the advantage, but whatever. Besides these PO is only gonna be a once a month or twice a month thing, no biggie. Why so serious? :stick:

I'm not sure it's 95%, it was an estimation. Jerry thinks it is closer to 70% which last I checked is still a vast majority so the argument doesn't change.

You can see by my post I wasn't talking about only you, you were just the latest one.

Omg! More Golden Girls! This time it's Sophia!!!

Don't worry, Rose and Blanche are around here, too. :laugh:

Comicbookguy
12-06-2012, 12:08 AM

The trick is to try and determine an edition size that will make sure 80% of the people who want one get one.

If its much higher than 80% you run into them losing value which is terrible for collectibles.

If its much lower than 80% then you get too many flippers and the aftermarket prices get so high so fat people get turned off.

But I think Im learning.

You are right Jerry! Keep doing the really low ES otherwise people lose interests if all the pieces become less on the aftermarket. I admit I was one of those who stopped collecting after I saw lion o, mumm ra, bison, my chun Li, all goes for less than retail. I was ready to give up on pcs, then now I found news on low ES again I came back and more excited then ever. I love even the characters I don't care about. I love the low ES and you made me want them all! That's how exciting you've made this hobby! I now visit your site and threads more than SS. You are doing excellent please don't make too big ES sizes and kill this hobby like SS does. If you must make a lot do it for the reg, but please keep us collectors happy with the ex at really low ES. Jerry you got me as a loyal customer now :) just when I was going to quit buying pcs now I'm their biggest fan just because of your new super low ES runs! This is what this hobby should be all about. Makes it all worth it!

ambasah
12-06-2012, 12:42 AM
To base your decision on what to buy on nothing more than an edition size is ludicrous.

ambasah
12-06-2012, 12:44 AM

But I think Im learning.

In retrospect, would you have changed the edition sizes on any of your recent exclusives?

Comicbookguy
12-06-2012, 12:48 AM
To base your decision on what to buy on nothing more than an edition size is ludicrous.

Yes for some it may be, but to some ES means everything. I know I would not want Alex if he had a ES of 1000 pieces or 3000 like SS.

OuttaSight
12-06-2012, 12:56 AM
In retrospect, would you have changed the edition sizes on any of your recent exclusives?

Good question.

I would have made Alex EX 75 instead of 50

I would have made Reptile 250

i would have made Sagat 150

The extra revenue is nice but whats more important is I think those would have still made the pieces rare but also more collectors can get them.

Whats ironic is a while back there were some people (who seem to have since become quiet) that were talking about how all I cared about was money and id sell as many as I could, etc blah blah blah...and now the conversation is more about how I dont make enough !

My oh my how the times change :D

I and I
12-06-2012, 01:27 AM

We tried with both chun and reptile, pressed send on the 00 of the clock and got them both.
No, we can't control it but that doesnt mean that ours should always arrive later.

Dont care about getting up that late. Its not every week and its not that hard to put an alarm on that time to wake up even though I feel like sh*t the next morning an generally always manage to have an exam or test that morning

Only thing thats kinda sad is the way Jerry distributes the APs, by the time we wake up again, theyre already long gone. Would feel more fair if the first x on the list gets one :thinking:

Comicbookguy
12-06-2012, 01:58 AM
Good question.

The extra revenue is nice but whats more important is I think those would have still made the pieces rare but also more collectors can get them.

Whats ironic is a while back there were some peo
ple (who seem to have since become quiet) that were talking about how all I cared about was money and id sell as many as I could, etc blah blah blah...and now the conversation is more about how I dont make enough !

Jerry whatever your doing is the right move, these last 2 days was more fun then I ever had at SS since I started 6 months ago. There's no rush at SS anymore it's just all massive ES getting bigger all the time. Don't mind haters they are everywhere and will always be around. Do what you want because it's working great so far. :thumbs2:

loricstone
12-06-2012, 02:44 AM

Yes, and I would join you. :bawling:

rome_325
12-06-2012, 02:51 AM
I think a "cart" is a must if preordering will happen on the PCSC site and if any form of immediate payment is required. I would just suggest site registration with name, billing/shipping address along with credit card info. for the user. i would hate to have to input all that info every time i place an order and end up missing out on it during the process (Mondo).

I miss the good old days when Sideshow had PPO's (Priority Pre-Order) on their site. If I remember correctly, about 30 min. or so before the PPO, SS homepage would just be the PPO page with a timer/clock and instructions on how to order. When it was time for the PPO, customers would have to check the box of piece that they wanted and log in. After loging in, they would have to click the "Place Your Order" Button. The next page would tell you if you secured your order or have been placed on the wait list. An e-mail with confirmation will also be sent.

It doesn't have to be exactly like that but you get the idea.

gagaliya
12-06-2012, 03:20 AM
Good question.

Whats ironic is a while back there were some people (who seem to have since become quiet) that were talking about how all I cared about was money and id sell as many as I could, etc blah blah blah...and now the conversation is more about how I dont make enough !

honestly jerry, i wouldnt waste too much time worrying about preordering system, or ES. They are fine the way they are. A 10-50 edition size difference wont matter, people who miss will always be upset, people who doesnt like low es can buy sideshow or other brand statues.

The only thing you need to do to not waste hours replying to emails is setup a simple paypal order button for the deposit $ and a quantity limit=ES, then make it visible at the specified time. That would take care of all the manual work for you.

Have you thought more about opening your own small facility in china instead of outsourcing it? I mean pcs has enough products in the pipe to keep the factory running nonstop, and you can pick & choose to hire actual artists (and fire the bad ones) and have complete control over QC to make the products even better. Not to mention it should be cheaper in the long run.

High Lord Apocalypse
12-06-2012, 03:35 AM
Jerry for dhalsim, blanka, Honda and even balrog, please go through sideshow's cart or a shipping cart on your site and have a larger edition size. Unfortunately for fans like myself that work in healthcare waiting by a computer watching time tick by is not an option.

OuttaSight
12-06-2012, 03:47 AM
honestly jerry, i wouldnt waste too much time worrying about preordering system, or ES. They are fine the way they are. A 10-50 edition size difference wont matter, people who miss will always be upset, people who doesnt like low es can buy sideshow or other brand statues.

The only thing you need to do to not waste hours replying to emails is setup a simple paypal order button for the deposit $ and a quantity limit=ES, then make it visible at the specified time. That would take care of all the manual work for you.

Have you thought more about opening your own small facility in china instead of outsourcing it? I mean pcs has enough products in the pipe to keep the factory running nonstop, and you can pick & choose to hire actual artists (and fire the bad ones) and have complete control over QC to make the products even better. Not to mention it should be cheaper in the long run.

Its not legal for an American company to own a factory in China.

The best you can do is find a factory that will do an exclusive deal with you...but now THEY have to earn their profit as well so you dont save any more and you still dont get control

sackboy
12-06-2012, 03:58 AM
I'm more into the shopping cart than the email thing.

The shopping cart system like Sideshow is good, you just have to add payment options.

Just my 2 cents

MolokoPlus
12-06-2012, 04:00 AM
I think adding a PayPal button or setting up a PCS big cartel or something similar would be the best option. It's so simple for the buyer and seller. The only thing you may have to worry about is overloading the server which may be possible depending on what your bandwidth can handle.

ThreeA is a company that has been doing what you're starting to do for a few years and each and every sale is exciting. There are still disappointed people who don't score but that is inevitable in this hobby.

Basically they have a sale for 24 hours or sometimes just surprise drops. They pre sell all there stuff and customers pay in full. It works and collectors are still happy. They sell 12" figures though so what you could do is do exactly what you've been doing only change a few things. Here's my suggestions:

1.Announce a sale with set edition size

2. Put item for sale at time specified on a website similar to big cartel or shopify

That's it

You can set the amount you want to sell onthe site and once they are sold through theyll be sold out. You can also set the deposit options as well.

Something like this would be awesome

I and I
12-06-2012, 05:02 AM
please don't ever do surprise sales... I hate that since the time differences can really put it in a more inconvenient time. I prefer to know when so I can get up then just sleep through it because nobody knew about it. :(

Comicbookguy
12-06-2012, 05:05 AM
I'm more into the shopping cart than the email thing.

The shopping cart system like Sideshow is good, you just have to add payment options.

Just my 2 cents

I hate shopping carts I can never get through because my computer is jam at order time. Just my experience. I like this email so I can ave a real chance.

Goldenpanther
12-06-2012, 05:14 AM
please don't ever do surprise sales... I hate that since the time differences can really put it in a more inconvenient time. I prefer to know when so I can get up then just sleep through it because nobody knew about it. :(

he doesnt do surpise sales - he sends out a email a week in advance - telling where when and how to order .

labanog
12-06-2012, 05:14 AM
Hey Jerry,

Just be careful with online ordering system, the server should be really heavy duty to accept the traffic, like somebody posted threea toys by Ashley wood,does online sale and their server always get hammered due to limited drops at random times, I also collect threea and experience a lot of server timed out and slow connection to server or cartjack ( it's when u got something at ur cart and when u check out its already empty,that really a bummer when it happens) but seems to work for them till now, I think 4 yrs now? You can check threea forum to see the type complains you'd see hehe hope that helps :)

Klear Knives
12-06-2012, 06:20 AM
Jerry, I thoroughly enjoyed the e-mail ordering system. I missed out on the exclusive but I was able to get a Regular of ALEX. So I came away feeling successful. Just like everyone else here we've all encountered failures using a checkout via cart system. Numerous times I've had an item in cart and when I've gone through the entire checkout process to find out the item has sold out. Not just MONDO but aslo Matty. So I feel e-mail system is a great way of doing things. I know it creates a headache for you but you come away with happy customers :) I know you cant please everyone.

As for your question about MONDO, the cart really never crashed on me but his website was flooded and either didnt work or was very slow. By time you get the page to load the item is sold out. The main thing I dislike is once the item is in your cart it still sells out before you can finish making your purchase. I enjoyed their work at the beginning when things were easier to get. Once everyone found out how much these were going for on EBAY, you encounter more FLIPPERS and lose the true collectors, and usually the true collectors lose out on the item or end up going broke to get something they really wanted. There has been numerous times I've tried to get something I wanted but to come away empty handed. Im not one that can toss around money like its nothing So I refuse to pay $300-500 on at $50 poster. I just find it funny that "MONDO" says you will receive a tweet or its on facebook post to say item is up for sale. By the time the tweet comes out the item has already been sold out way ahead. So as a fan/collector I rarely try for a poster now its just such a pain in the ass to get one. I JUST HOPE THAT PCS DOESNT BECOME LIKE THIS. I know it generates good business but you do lose good fans. Oh and I'm not just hating on MONDO because I wasn't successful, I do own about 10 of his posters that his company has produced.

I just hope maybe on the more popular characters the ES goes up by maybe 100. Gives people a better chance of getting one.

I never had site crash but man did you nail it. On d the tweet or Facebook post comes up they are already sold out.

I and I
12-06-2012, 06:53 AM
he doesnt do surpise sales - he sends out a email a week in advance - telling where when and how to order .

I know, just want to make sure he never starts with it :thumbsdow

modus
12-06-2012, 07:07 AM
I would expand your window to receive emails to a minute with half or full payment due in a day. Maybe put in a NRD to discourage people from sending 10 emails.

So if you get an email between 9:00 and 9:01 they qualify.

testsubject25
12-06-2012, 07:51 AM
Good question.

Man, I've mentioned in elsewhere, but I think you're zeroing in on a void that's been left by other companies, and you're doing it at a great time.

Don't worry, Rose and Blanche are around here, too. :laugh:

Yo, Sophia, we gotta problem around here? Somebody givin' ya some lip? :battherapy:

:thumbs2: :laugh:

derekrodneysim
12-06-2012, 08:17 AM
You Golden Girls crack me up! :hilarious:

derekrodneysim
12-06-2012, 08:35 AM
I'm happy with whichever system that allows me to have one when I want it. So far I've only been in for your MK Klassics and I'm 2 for 2 which makes me a VERY, VERY happy camper.

I'm a little sad that Kitana will be the last to go through Sideshow. I do like ordering from them as it's the one I'm most familiar and shop almost exclusively with.

But I greatly appreciate your personal email application system as well. Allow a full one minute window to lock in orders would be good enough I guess. That determines the ES or set an ES and those who pay first with their names first on the list locks their order down, and slowly move down the list.

testsubject25
12-06-2012, 08:43 AM
I'm happy with whichever system that allows me to have one when I want it.

SOLD! :D

You Golden Girls crack me up! :hilarious:

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_WLQMa_RHgLY/TOVljoDMdaI/AAAAAAAABRg/vmeMNi-bMNg/s400/golden_girls.jpg

The thug life chose us! :laugh:

ramobo
12-06-2012, 09:11 AM
just schedule your emails, pretty simple actually

Big Hulk
12-06-2012, 09:17 AM
You are right Jerry! Keep doing the really low ES otherwise people lose interests if all the pieces become less on the aftermarket. I admit I was one of those who stopped collecting after I saw lion o, mumm ra, bison, my chun Li, all goes for less than retail. I was ready to give up on pcs, then now I found news on low ES again I came back and more excited then ever. I love even the characters I don't care about. I love the low ES and you made me want them all! That's how exciting you've made this hobby! I now visit your site and threads more than SS. You are doing excellent please don't make too big ES sizes and kill this hobby like SS does. If you must make a lot do it for the reg, but please keep us collectors happy with the ex at really low ES. Jerry you got me as a loyal customer now :) just when I was going to quit buying pcs now I'm their biggest fan just because of your new super low ES runs! This is what this hobby should be all about. Makes it all worth it!

People also lose interest if they continually try to order and don't get them...when that happens you lose much more for concern than the aftermarket.....

biglebowski9999
12-06-2012, 09:20 AM
Man, I've mentioned in elsewhere, but I think you're zeroing in on a void that's been left by other companies, and you're doing it at a great time.

Yo, Sophia, we gotta problem around here? Somebody givin' ya some lip? :battherapy:

:thumbs2: :laugh:

I think he was just volunteering to be Stanley in our group.

http://images4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20100731090609/goldengirls/images/0/07/ZMan.png

biglebowski9999
12-06-2012, 09:21 AM
So, I think we can all agree then that Mondo sucks ass and nothing they do should be copied in any fashion at all...ever. :laugh:

Atheris
12-06-2012, 09:22 AM
I still think the pay in full guys should get first dibs via email notice for future releases. The idiots that PO and then don't pay should be banned from ordering in the future. Their should be a penalty for wasting your time and causing others to lose out on a potential order.

Honestly, I think its going to be hard to find middle ground here. Judging by the responses its almost 50/50, you have the group that likes the email lottery and the other group that like the "add to cart" option. Personally, I like both. However, as I said in a previous post in another thread...I can only take it in small dosses. I do like the excitement and thrill of trying my luck at a super exclusive item, but I dont want my entire collection to be based off my luck of acquiring them.

SO...

I think the best idea is to meet in the middle, have both. The "cart" option I think has to be an option if your plans are to start PO'ing items via your site. But, you can still do the email thing with the odd piece that will be a super exclusive. You make both sides happy and it keeps the excitement going every now and then. As a plus, it will take some of stress off the cart system so it isn't prone to crashing for very exclusive PO's. I think that kinda balances everything out.

But its your company, your decision. I'm not complaining because without you I wouldn't be able to collect the MK pieces I've always wanted for years. I'm just happy you made these a reality :thumbs2:

Chris

biglebowski9999
12-06-2012, 09:29 AM
I still think the pay in full guys should get first dibs via email notice for future releases. The idiots that PO and then don't pay should be banned from ordering in the future. Their should be a penalty for wasting your time and causing others to lose out on a potential order.

I think you're underestimating the amount of people that pay in full, honestly. It's not some exclusive club that is hard to get into. I saw numerous people in the Reptile thread mentioning that they paid in full. I don't know, maybe Jerry can chime in on this one with some numbers on how many are doing payments vs paid in full.

I like the second part of your comment (would certainly thin out the herd) but it's kinda hard to ask him to turn away future *potential* business. Plus, now you've added even more maintenance that needs to be done during preorders besides just weeding through the emails.

testsubject25
12-06-2012, 09:30 AM
:laugh: @lebowski!!
And yes, don't copy Mondo! lol

@Atheris, I'm a pay in full up front person, but I would never say we get dibs, I think it's a little too elitist and not fair to people who really like the pieces, but can't afford to pay it all up front. The last thing I want to see is a huge rivalry and fight between the actual collectors, more so than usual! :laugh:

What people are missing IMO, is that the excitement, stress, and rolling the dice happens whether it's email or the cart option. It's luck either way, unless he's got a great web server and system setup. I'm down for whatever, but if it changes for a cart checkout, there's going to be a trial and error period that people need to chill out and accept.

ramobo
12-06-2012, 09:35 AM
if the ES is going to remain small, the interest for the statues are gong to be high, but they're high not only because of the sculpts, but because of the instant flip value as well. I dont think that is the correct thing. I think a fair preorder system is a 10 min priority ppo window with zezs to match

Big Hulk
12-06-2012, 10:10 AM
if the ES is going to remain small, the interest for the statues are gong to be high, but they're high not only because of the sculpts, but because of the instant flip value as well. I dont think that is the correct thing. I think a fair preorder system is a 10 min priority ppo window with zezs to match

I agree. I honestly think a lot of people may be ordering these just with the thoughts of dollar signs in their minds. While it is nice to have something you own being worth a lot just in case you want to sell, I'm more concerned with having a statue I want in my collection. I honestly could care less about the aftermarket of a piece. Having said that, it will be nice to know that I am 1 of 150 people in the world with a Reptile statue.

Atheris
12-06-2012, 10:17 AM
I agree. I honestly think a lot of people may be ordering these just with the thoughts of dollar signs in their minds. While it is nice to have something you own being worth a lot just in case you want to sell, I'm more concerned with having a statue I want in my collection. I honestly could care less about the aftermarket of a piece. Having said that, it will be nice to know that I am 1 of 150 people in the world with a Reptile statue.

That sentiment changes based on the respective price you pay for the item.

Example: You pay $1000 for a piece with a huge ES which is available for a long time. Value drops to $500 right after purchase on the secondary market due to over supply and little demand. You just lost $500.

So essentially all your collecting is negative value on your "collectibles".

Chris

dEATHm3RCHANT
12-06-2012, 10:57 AM
I don't doubt that some collectors aren't concerned too much about what a statue is worth when they buy it. However like Arthis said would they be as eager to buy a statue that lost half or more of its value after it was purchased? Probably not IMO. In addition, unless you are in a position where money is not an issue (And wont be for the foreseeable future) I believe most collectors look at there collection as "money sitting on the shelf" similar to savings in a bank. And will sell off items to pay for necessities like food, health care, utilities , etc... That's why I take anyone saying "I collect only for the sake of collecting attitude" with a grain of salt. No offense to anyone that's filthy rich though:)

ambasah
12-06-2012, 11:17 AM
People also lose interest if they continually try to order and don't get them...when that happens you lose much more for concern than the aftermarket.....

this is a very good point. ask anyone who collects gentle giant star wars busts.

dino76m
12-06-2012, 11:26 AM
all this small Es and exclusivity will bring in the wrong crowd , then i would like to see the reaction of someone missing it out and saying all this sucks.
again its time to post my anicom post about flippers
none of us want this to happend , i remeber everyone crying how these filipino maid kept pushing regular collectors out of the line and then sideshow and Ht has to actually increase production in response to everyone crying abt how unfair it was and all
I know PCS and HT are different but im just citing an example
http://i1085.photobucket.com/albums/j433/dino76m/5988924225_daba1d272d.jpg

I do wonder what has happend to all this shadow predators lol,
http://i1085.photobucket.com/albums/j433/dino76m/280815_10150269187164210_819564209_7348800_3093476_o.jpg
http://i1085.photobucket.com/albums/j433/dino76m/280580_252322214796022_100000547354363_977263_3022617_o.jpg
http://i1085.photobucket.com/albums/j433/dino76m/279051_10150269189539210_819564209_7348808_1102710_o.jpg
http://i1085.photobucket.com/albums/j433/dino76m/277484_10150268655197590_582957589_7608879_903455_o.jpg
http://i1085.photobucket.com/albums/j433/dino76m/271271_10150269183559210_819564209_7348786_8373497_o.jpg
http://i1085.photobucket.com/albums/j433/dino76m/262895_2296704540936_1348794733_2748186_4760453_n.jpg
http://i1085.photobucket.com/albums/j433/dino76m/226011_2258830837085_1437823783_2635049_1312714_n.jpg

so far i havent been interested in any of the PCS statues but im waiting for the MOTU line and i hate to see mysellf missing something from that line

testsubject25
12-06-2012, 11:29 AM
I can't tell what's going on in those thumbnails, bigger pics?

dino76m
12-06-2012, 11:34 AM
some douche paid up maids, grandmas and made them que up to buy all the comic con Ht exclusives one of which was the batman begins over whch everyone was going gaga over the wayne sculpt and the secret armour iron man mark 4
regular collectors got pushed out of the line by these people and were ganged upon making them miss the exclusives

Atheris
12-06-2012, 11:42 AM
some douche paid up flipino maid and made them que up to buy all the comic con Ht exclusives one of which was the batman begins over whch everyone was going gaga over the wayne sculpt and the secret armour iron man mark 4
regular collectors got pushed out of the line by these people and were ganged upon making them miss the exclusives

Its always the ones you least suspect lol

http://thedirtydoxy.files.wordpress.com/2011/05/family_guy_maid.jpg?w=490

Chris

testsubject25
12-06-2012, 11:46 AM
Its always the ones you least suspect lol

http://thedirtydoxy.files.wordpress.com/2011/05/family_guy_maid.jpg?w=490

Chris

:hilarious:

Comicbookguy
12-06-2012, 11:54 AM

This I can live with not a bad idea. Maybe in ins window is good and fair to keep it rare. :thumbs2: thats plenty of time for people who really want it to get your orders in.

Do or do not
12-06-2012, 11:55 AM
Crazy pics...lol.

Comicbookguy
12-06-2012, 11:58 AM
all this small Es and exclusivity will bring in the wrong crowd , then i would like to see the reaction of someone missing it out and saying all this sucks.
none of us want this to happend , i remeber everyone crying how these filipino maid kept pushing regular collectors out of the line and then sideshow and Ht has to actually increase production in response to everyone crying abt how unfair it was and all
http://i1085.photobucket.com/albums/j433/dino76m/5988924225_daba1d272d.jpg

I do wonder what has happend to all this shadow predators lol,
http://i1085.photobucket.com/albums/j433/dino76m/280815_10150269187164210_819564209_7348800_3093476_o.jpg
http://i1085.photobucket.com/albums/j433/dino76m/280580_252322214796022_100000547354363_977263_3022617_o.jpg
http://i1085.photobucket.com/albums/j433/dino76m/279051_10150269189539210_819564209_7348808_1102710_o.jpg
http://i1085.photobucket.com/albums/j433/dino76m/277484_10150268655197590_582957589_7608879_903455_o.jpg
http://i1085.photobucket.com/albums/j433/dino76m/271271_10150269183559210_819564209_7348786_8373497_o.jpg
http://i1085.photobucket.com/albums/j433/dino76m/262895_2296704540936_1348794733_2748186_4760453_n.jpg
http://i1085.photobucket.com/albums/j433/dino76m/226011_2258830837085_1437823783_2635049_1312714_n.jpg

so far i havent been interested in any of the PCS statues but im waiting for the MOTU line and i hate to see mysellf missing something from that line

Wow! Never seen anything like this just wow!!! :psycho: I don't mind flippers but come on this is overkill and if I miss out to someone like this I'm really not going to be a happy camper. Seriously wtf?

kagero_no_mai
12-06-2012, 12:14 PM
How can you say that? SS works fine!

You obviously were not there at the time of the Zangief pre-order..the site was crashing all the time and the statue sold out in minutes..

Cart is good, but it's VERY difficult to find one good enough to manage heavy traffic..
There's nothing more upsetting than an engulfed site in a war of orders..

Email is indeed easier, but both methods won't allow for a 100% sure grab, and there's where my problem lies..

Totally agree with you..I couldn't be at peace if I missed out on a SF and MK regular piece, and I don't have the resources to shell out thousands of $$$ on secondary market for the ones i miss :(

furycat
12-06-2012, 12:20 PM
That a lot of predators.

dino76m
12-06-2012, 12:26 PM
i think a secret ES with a 24 hour window or when the Max Es is reached would be ideal keeping in mind international customers..Es can be announced once the window is up , i would like these system for the exclusives and a longer window for the regular
we will have to trust PCS integrity in not raising the ES of orders exceed and window closed once its fulfilled
i always felt the value of a collectible should go up over the years not on the day its up for preorder based on its ES

dEATHm3RCHANT
12-06-2012, 12:45 PM
i think a secret ES with a 24 hour window or when the Max Es is reached would be ideal keeping in mind international customers..Es can be announced once the window is up , i would like these system for the exclusives and a longer window for the regular
we will have to trust PCS integrity in not raising the ES of orders exceed and window closed once its fulfilled
i always felt the value of a collectible should go up over the years not on the day its up for preorder based on its ES

So first come first serve if there is an ES of 100 and Jerry gets 1000 emails? And just have Jerry send out an email once the limit is reached?

BornFreeSF
12-06-2012, 12:46 PM
some douche paid up maids, grandmas and made them que up to buy all the comic con Ht exclusives one of which was the batman begins over whch everyone was going gaga over the wayne sculpt and the secret armour iron man mark 4

Wow, amazing. Who was it?

Mamba
12-06-2012, 01:37 PM

I don't get it those HT exclusives are not really limited, they have no ES, HT made tons of them, what made that guy he can flip those easily?

testsubject25
12-06-2012, 02:24 PM
I don't know what the plans for the PCS site are, whether it's going to be a whole new site, how the hosting is handled now vs how it will be etc., but IMO, you should make sure that your IT guy sets you up with a place that allows for burstable resources during the preorders. That might help the situation immensely, and hopefully negate a lot of the "cart crash" issues.

Atheris
12-06-2012, 02:31 PM
We should just go back to phone orders like in the early 90's....like ordering pizza.

Or texting!....Jerry how you feel about 1000 texts to your cell phone? lol

Chris

dino76m
12-06-2012, 02:32 PM
I don't get it those HT exclusives are not really limited, they have no ES, HT made tons of them, what made that guy he can flip those easily?

it was before they started mass producing, that started the mass producing and re releasing madness.actually

testsubject25
12-06-2012, 02:35 PM
We should just go back to phone orders like in the early 90's....like ordering pizza.

Or texting!....Jerry how you feel about 1000 texts to your cell phone? lol

Chris

smoke signals, I'll settle for nothing less! :D

OuttaSight
12-06-2012, 02:56 PM

A 24 hour window could put me out of business. Ill explain...

A 24 hour window is basically long enough for just about every collector in the world, including the flippers, to find time to get an order in.

Lets use Alex EX as an example...

That would have resulted in almost 250 Alex Ex statues. There is no way that many people actually want an Alex in a variant color....so most will be flippers.

Then the statue comes out and there are so many on the market that the price plummets as flippers try to get rid of them.

When prices fall people lose interest in pre-ordering...they want to wait until the statue comes out and they can get it at a discount.

This pretty much kills my company.

A ten minute window wont really fix anything for the following reasons:

The vast majority of the orders i get are within the first 3 minutes. So adding another 7 minutes will only let another couple dozen people in which isnt significant

What usually happens is 8+ hours later I THEN start to get a lot more orders as people who forgot about it, or were busy/working/bad time zone/etc find some time to put an order in.

For example on Alex I got another ~100 emails while i was sleeping...12 hours after the pre-order started

Now the problem with a 24 hour window is outlined above

Chris

The pay in full guys get a 15-20% discount. I think thats enough - beside its around 70% that pay in full.

Banning people from ordering is a fast way to go out of business. Just cant treat customers like that (unless you are Ferrari)

:jedidual:

ambasah
12-06-2012, 03:02 PM
thank you for the explanation Jerry, but I would challenge the notion that you would be put out of business due to larger edition sizes.

I used Bowen as an example earlier, and although the Marvel license is different, many of his statues have gone down in price without it affecting future pre-orders.

If you make a quality product, you will always have customers.

OuttaSight
12-06-2012, 03:12 PM
thank you for the explanation Jerry, but I would challenge the notion that you would be put out of business due to larger edition sizes.

I used Bowen as an example earlier, and although the Marvel license is different, many of his statues have gone down in price without it affecting future pre-orders.

If you make a quality product, you will always have customers.

As far as Ive seen Bowen rarely has a pre-order sell out. So yes it very much affects the demand.

dino76m
12-06-2012, 03:18 PM

A 24 hour window is basically long enough for just about every collector in the world, including the flippers, to find time to get an order in.

That would have resulted in almost 250 Alex Ex statues. There is no way that many people actually want an Alex in a variant color....so most will be flippers.

Then the statue comes out and there are so many on the market that the price plummets as flippers try to get rid of them.

When prices fall people lose interest in pre-ordering...they want to wait until the statue comes out and they can get it at a discount.

The vast majority of the orders i get are within the first 3 minutes. So adding another 7 minutes will only let another couple dozen people in which isnt significant

What usually happens is 8+ hours later I THEN start to get a lot more orders as people who forgot about it, or were busy/working/bad time zone/etc find some time to put an order in.

For example on Alex I got another ~100 emails while i was sleeping...12 hours after the pre-order started

The pay in full guys get a 15-20% discount. I think thats enough - beside its around 70% that pay in full.

Banning people from ordering is a fast way to go out of business. Just cant treat customers like that (unless you are Ferrari)

i meant there should be a set ES in mind ,plus or minus 50 if demand is there and once the quota is reached the pre order stops even if the 24hr window isnt over..and also a full up payment for the ex would be a good idea to prevent impulse ordering, Just let everyone know few weeks before hand,
the reg could have a larger ES and the more popular of the two ,so that people who missed out on the EX shouldnt be too disappointed, leaving the Ex for those who cares about low es , investment value etc etc,
a collector who wants to complete a line he started should be able to complete the line without paying markup prices to flippers and missing out to them, it could also lead to lesser interest in future releases,

Atheris
12-06-2012, 03:21 PM

You weren't getting business from them anyway....they don't pay lol

Anyway, all im saying.....If I slip you a hundred do I get one for sure :smokin:

jk

Chris

OuttaSight
12-06-2012, 03:50 PM
i meant there should be a set ES in mind ,plus or minus 50 if demand is there and once the quota is reached the pre order stops even if the 24hr window isnt over..and also a full up payment for the ex would be a good idea to prevent impulse ordering, Just let everyone know few weeks before hand,
the reg could have a larger ES and the more popular of the two ,so that people who missed out on the EX shouldnt be too disappointed, leaving the Ex for those who cares about low es , investment value etc etc,
a collector who wants to complete a line he started should be able to complete the line without paying markup prices to flippers and missing out to them, it could also lead to lesser interest in future releases,

Okay I better understand your point

dino76m
12-06-2012, 05:09 PM
As far as Ive seen Bowen rarely has a pre-order sell out. So yes it very much affects the demand.

they had some sort of record for the spiderman repaint lol

loricstone
12-06-2012, 05:09 PM
You obviously were not there at the time of the Zangief pre-order..the site was crashing all the time and the statue sold out in minutes..

Cart is good, but it's VERY difficult to find one good enough to manage heavy traffic..
There's nothing more upsetting than an engulfed site in a war of orders..

Email is indeed easier, but both methods won't allow for a 100% sure grab, and there's where my problem lies..

Totally agree with you..I couldn't be at peace if I missed out on a SF and MK regular piece, and I don't have the resources to shell out thousands of $$$ on secondary market for the ones i miss :(

Yes I was, and I actually got my Zangief fine with no problems. Granted, I have Charter cable modem, and Charter is rated the number 1 cable internet in the US (in terms of speed and reliability).

I had no problems getting Zangief.

kagero_no_mai
12-06-2012, 05:47 PM
Yes I was, and I actually got my Zangief fine with no problems. Granted, I have Charter cable modem, and Charter is rated the number 1 cable internet in the US (in terms of speed and reliability).

I had no problems getting Zangief.

Sorry pal, that wasn't meant as an attack, hope you didn't take it the wrong way.

BTW, will you lend me your cable modem for my future purchases? :thumbs2:

ambasah
12-06-2012, 05:50 PM

you are right, if instant (ie a few days or weeks) sellouts of all statues is the end goal.

however, all his statues sell out eventually (although I admit he has a much broader fanbase).

thanks again for taking the time to interact with all of us. it is truly appreciated.

gagaliya
12-06-2012, 06:51 PM
Its not legal for an American company to own a factory in China.

The best you can do is find a factory that will do an exclusive deal with you...but now THEY have to earn their profit as well so you dont save any more and you still dont get control

there are many ways around that, if you have some trusted partner over there then they can be the primary in a joint venture but you are the one that actually own/operate the factory. Otherwise a manufacturing wfoe (only manufacture cannot sell in china), it requires capital commitment upfront, there are literally thousands of consulting firms that specialize in setting this up for you for a fee.

testsubject25
12-06-2012, 06:54 PM
there are many ways around that, if you have some trusted partner over there then they can be the primary in a joint venture but you are the one that actually own/operate the factory. Otherwise a manufacturing wfoe (only manufacture cannot sell in china), it requires capital commitment upfront, there are literally thousands of consulting firms that specialize in setting this up for you for a fee.

Do those firms start with a "T" and end in "RIAD"? :laugh: I kid!

OuttaSight
12-06-2012, 08:01 PM

Do you have a 'trusted partner' there ? I sure dont.

i tried that when i owned SOTA and ended up losing...er being ripped off for, hundreds of thousands of dollars...

:bawling:

Thats a game for the big boys.

Richlpz
12-06-2012, 08:04 PM
Jerry for dhalsim, blanka, Honda and even balrog, please go through sideshow's cart or a shipping cart on your site and have a larger edition size. Unfortunately for fans like myself that work in healthcare waiting by a computer watching time tick by is not an option.

I work in health care and its no problem. Don't know why you would be sitting at a computer. PO time is set. All it takes is a smart phone and a watch. I was with a patient for the reptile po. When I saw it was time and sneezed, excused myself and pushed send. Done. Simple

testsubject25
12-06-2012, 08:06 PM

i tried that when i owned SOTA and ended up losing...er being ripped off for, hundreds of thousands of dollars...

God, that's gotta be soul crushing.

Batminator
12-06-2012, 08:49 PM
The problem with the e-mail system is (amongst others):

- you're relying on something out of your control: the e-mail servers
- you're making it easier for people to try to acquire one: it's not that practical to use more than one browser window to use more than 1 cart

testsubject25
12-06-2012, 09:04 PM
The problem with the e-mail system is (amongst others):

- you're relying on something out of your control: the e-mail servers
- you're making it easier for people to try to acquire one: it's not that practical to use more than one browser window to use more than 1 cart

1. You don't control the web server either.
2. It's a moot point if he's checking IP addresses.

The reality is, it's too much for him to tackle on top of the other responsibilities, especially once this becomes the norm. He seems burned out on it after two releases, as would everybody else be. Also he doesn't want to hire somebody and pass the additional costs on to us. I totally get that!

I still suggest that if they make a new site and host it somewhere, make sure the new host can allocate burst resources for preorders to hopefully stabilize the event.

Klear Knives
12-06-2012, 09:38 PM
Jerry is there gonna be some kind of hold when you put it in your cart? Maybe a 2-3 min window? Or just the quickiest on the draw. Thx

OuttaSight
12-06-2012, 09:42 PM
Jerry is there gonna be some kind of hold when you put it in your cart? Maybe a 2-3 min window? Or just the quickiest on the draw. Thx

I dont know yet. We're still examining all the options.

High Lord Apocalypse
12-06-2012, 09:47 PM
I work in health care and its no problem. Don't know why you would be sitting at a computer. PO time is set. All it takes is a smart phone and a watch. I was with a patient for the reptile po. When I saw it was time and sneezed, excused myself and pushed send. Done. Simple

Ha. I can't even justify that with a response but In critical care there is rarely a time to sneeze and sneak off for an email. Anyway good for you that pharm techs have the luxury to do that.

biglebowski9999
12-06-2012, 09:50 PM

I highly suggest a window, too. Losing an item in your cart because it takes you 10 seconds longer than the other guy to checkout is what has people fed up with Mondo.

Batminator
12-06-2012, 10:01 PM

The reality is, it's too much for him to tackle on top of the other responsibilities, especially once this becomes the norm. He seems burned out on it after two releases, as would everybody else be. Also he doesn't want to hire somebody and pass the additional costs on to us. I totally get that!

I still suggest that if they make a new site and host it somewhere, make sure the new host can allocate burst resources for preorders to hopefully stabilize the event.

I agree on your second paragraph, but I do not agree on your number 1. An e-mail may have a very spread route to it's destination, and may also linger before arriving. A website may lag, but atleast you have "sort of" a "direct" connection.

testsubject25
12-06-2012, 10:06 PM
I agree on your second paragraph, but I do not agree on your number 1. An e-mail may have a very spread route to it's destination, and may also linger before arriving. A website may lag, but atleast you have "sort of" a "direct" connection.

agree to disagree :)

Batminator
12-07-2012, 12:16 AM
I think a lot of the heat stems not from the pre-order system itself, but from the low ES'. That however, is up to Jerry :)

loricstone
12-07-2012, 12:19 AM
Sorry pal, that wasn't meant as an attack, hope you didn't take it the wrong way.

BTW, will you lend me your cable modem for my future purchases? :thumbs2:

I didn't take it as an attack kagero....we cool. :)

NorthernLadMSP
12-07-2012, 12:23 AM
I would also highly suggest a window of time that allows you to keep the item in your cart. Even just 4-5 minutes is good.

derekrodneysim
12-07-2012, 05:10 AM
Do you have a baby sister, Jerry? :D

Klear Knives
12-07-2012, 06:56 AM

Gotcha. I agree that maybe more than that is unfair but a tiny window is need so that way for example: someone who can key there info faster than me that didn't doesn't get to the item as quick as me is unfair. Hence all the mondo issues we keep talking about. Or if no window your cart system should take space from sideshows and allow you to save a credit card in your login/profile so that atleast when you sign in and add item to cart your asked to use cc on file so that way you don't need any window.

puntapret
12-07-2012, 07:41 AM

:thumbs2:

I like the email system, but i kinda understand all the work that Jerry must do to maintain this system.

Please Jerry, if you want to go to Cart Online direction, please take a look at cloud server on demand, so that on the pre-order timing, you can put enough ressources to keep the site stable.

derekrodneysim
12-07-2012, 08:16 AM
That's gonna cost Jerry extra. I still think with Jerry's concern to keep the prices down for us, we've gotta play our part and just play along with the current system. It isn't so bad. Matter of fact, it is kinda fun.

I was lucky, so I'm a little biased, but to have a full site running needs maintenance and cost is gonna go up.

Atheris
12-07-2012, 09:12 AM
Jerry needs to develop a PCS app for iphone. That way we can order statues on the go with ease! :D

Chris

SARFARAZ
12-07-2012, 09:17 AM
Jerry needs to develop a PCS app for iphone. That way we can order statues on the go with ease! :D

Chris

Excellent idea! Don't think he'll do it though..

testsubject25
12-07-2012, 09:44 AM
I'm smelling my first kickstarter! :laugh:

ambasah
12-07-2012, 11:41 AM
I suggest going with whatever is less of a hassle for you Jerry, as no matter what you do some will be unhappy.

testsubject25
12-07-2012, 11:51 AM
I suggest going with whatever is less of a hassle for you Jerry, as no matter what you do some will be unhappy.

yeah, I agree there.

OuttaSight
12-07-2012, 03:21 PM
no matter what you do some will be unhappy.

I definitely agree with this part :D

SARFARAZ
12-07-2012, 03:30 PM
I definitely agree with this part :D

Unless he gives one to everyone who wants one for freeeeeeee, then only one person will be unhappy. Jerry... Hahahahaha ;)

SARFARAZ
12-07-2012, 03:32 PM
I take that back! I'm sure a lot will say " nooo too my statues flooding the market now" lol I guess even if he gave them away people will still be unhappy! Lol!!!

gagaliya
12-07-2012, 06:54 PM

Jerry, that sucks! Very sorry to hear that. Joint venture definitely doesnt work if the other side is not someone you know on a personal level, china's corp law isnt there to protect you like in the us, especially for foreigner not familiar with the local landscape.

Vracula
12-07-2012, 07:30 PM
Wow! Never seen anything like this just wow!!! :psycho: I don't mind flippers but come on this is overkill and if I miss out to someone like this I'm really not going to be a happy camper. Seriously wtf?

I dont blame them,quickest way to make money,plus its only collectibles.They are doing the same thing to the housing market here now THAT sucks.

modus
12-07-2012, 09:07 PM
You could have people post on Facebook. That way email latency and a crashing site isn't a factor.

You make a post and the first 150 to reply get a statue.

supermetroid
12-07-2012, 09:46 PM
How about you limit the amount of emails a person can send to 2? I only sent 1 for Sagat and 2 for Alex reg and it worked out fine. I know it's still a pain in the rear to sort through all of them, but it will really reduce the clutter lol.

Veron_4
12-07-2012, 11:59 PM

This pretty much gives only a select few the chance to get it then. I might have to drop this line if I don't even get a chance to purchase some of the statues.

If I have to rely on luck and speed for my collection, I'm pretty much screwed with my collection. Relying on the secondary market isn't ideal as well...

testsubject25
12-08-2012, 12:35 AM
This pretty much gives only a select few the chance to get it then. I might have to drop this line if I don't even get a chance to purchase some of the statues.

If I have to rely on luck and speed for my collection, I'm pretty much screwed with my collection. Relying on the secondary market isn't ideal as well...

Speed and luck are the same if it's email or cart (most cart systems). Some can try to disagree, but going by precedence, that's the way it is! :happybirt2:

OuttaSight
12-08-2012, 01:40 AM
Speed and luck are the same if it's email or cart (most cart systems). Some can try to disagree, but going by precedence, that's the way it is! :happybirt2:

You are correct in that 90% of the cases there is no difference between ordering from a cart or sending in an email.

in fact, the cart is arguably worse at times if you are a slow typer.

im not sure why everyone doesnt see that its not the time frame...its not the method of transaction...

Its the edition size that matters. Im not looking to have regulars sell out in a matter of seconds. Im looking to find the sweet spot where ~80% of the people who want one get one.

My thinking is that means sell outs happen in 12-24 hours for the regular versions...but that will be because of the ES not because of an arbitrary time window.

All i know is having pieces go up in value is always better than them going down.

Goldenpanther
12-08-2012, 01:54 AM
You are correct in that 90% of the cases there is no difference between ordering from a cart or sending in an email.

in fact, the cart is arguably worse at times if you are a slow typer.

im not sure why everyone doesnt see that its not the time frame...its not the method of transaction...

Its the edition size that matters. Im not looking to have regulars sell out in a matter of seconds. Im looking to find the sweet spot where ~80% of the people who want one get one.

My thinking is that means sell outs happen in 12-24 hours for the regular versions...but that will be because of the ES not because of an arbitrary time window.

All i know is having pieces go up in value is always better than them going down.

sweet spot
Blanka Ex 250 Regular 300
E honda Ex 200 Regular 300
Balrog Ex 200 Regular 250
Dhalsim Ex 150 Regular 250

80 % Of collector's will get one and I think in about 7 - 8 hours will be sold out

The edition size for these have to be smaller than Sagat and Chun Li -
as Sagat and Chun Li are more popular
Also if its like scorpion the pre order I did that on ease on the Go with my phone - which was uber awesome

MrYac
12-08-2012, 01:56 AM
again GP you are nuts if you think more people want a Honda statue then a Dhalsim

Goldenpanther
12-08-2012, 02:02 AM
E honda will be a beast like Zangief
is the reason why I think more will be made - and people will enjoy to look at the character without knowing who he is - As John sculpts bigger characters and does such a great job ( well with all he does a great job)

Its just my thoughts -
I still stand by my guns as I think E honda is cooler , better and to me the sculpt will be a grail even better than zangief and we know how well zangief is doing ;)

MrYac
12-08-2012, 02:04 AM
but unlike Zangief who is an interesting looking beast of a character, Honda is a fat dude in a diaper, not quite the same level of appeal there. Dhalsim on the other hand is probably right behind Blanka on being the most visually memorable of all the SF2 cast

Goldenpanther
12-08-2012, 02:12 AM
but unlike Zangief who is an interesting looking beast of a character, Honda is a fat dude in a diaper, not quite the same level of appeal there. Dhalsim on the other hand is probably right behind Blanka on being the most visually memorable of all the SF2 cast

fat dude in a Diaper ............... wha what !
Have you ever been to Japan to watch a sum wrestling tournament
Its AMAZING

plus he has muscle
Dhalsim - is cool and I will get him but E honda will sell out in Japan ALONE

and to ur commment about E honda

take this

http://i1090.photobucket.com/albums/i379/daniocean777/9a22ftvo.gif

kagero_no_mai
12-08-2012, 04:37 AM
and to ur commment about E honda

take this

AND THIS!! :eplus2:

http://i1090.photobucket.com/albums/i379/daniocean777/9a22ftvo.gif

Honda rules!

ambasah
12-08-2012, 07:48 AM
LOL - You guys are too funny.

equi-nox76
12-08-2012, 08:15 AM
Dhalsim or Honda, I would prefer Honda, but I'll take any. Never played with either though. Too slow.

testsubject25
12-08-2012, 09:20 AM
I think Honda would be great, if he's done massively. I think he'd be a great "wtf conversation" piece. :D

Quest99
12-08-2012, 10:35 AM
Exclusive!!! :buttrock:

http://media.eventhubs.com/images/2010/09/15_altcostume08.jpg

gagaliya
12-08-2012, 01:11 PM
Please do fei long next in his classic pose!! Will be sooo epic!

http://images.wikia.com/streetfighter/images/b/bb/ImagenesNuevasps3sf4Fei_Long.jpg

GenoToys
12-08-2012, 03:08 PM
Exclusive!!! :buttrock:

http://media.eventhubs.com/images/2010/09/15_altcostume08.jpg

I would lose it...If that was the EX....no matter what the EX i'm getting it....I hope :)

Goldenpanther
12-09-2012, 07:56 AM
http://i1090.photobucket.com/albums/i379/daniocean777/ehonda_alt_colors.jpg

Would be really cool if the Exclusive would be number 10 - so like zangief add A but more of a touch to the exclusive -

regular can be player 1 outfit - with out the rope at the back ;)