PDA

View Full Version : suggestions

Simplyrob
12-22-2012, 06:07 AM
hi guys. well, my collection has grown a bit lately with all the great releases. im trying my best to budget my framing options (limited wall space and more importantly $$$.$$). as of now, this pic below shows how i store my prints. honestly, they range from all sizes, including a bunch of longer, thinner prints (englerts). what are your suggestions on how i should store these differently or are they okay like this? i know some of you keep professional folders but, i dont want my englerts sliding around in them, if thats at all possible. btw, those are mostly 12"x36". if i need to spend around $150 to find a nice portfolio thatll house all my prints, im totally okay with that. ive seen threads before about which ones to get, but, not sure if its necessary. ive never flattened anything, so, i have no idea how to do that either. thanks guys. hope your holidays are treating you nicely.

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f360/simplyrob/IMG_6470.jpg

Matches Malone
12-22-2012, 01:26 PM
If you are looking to store and access your prints but not have them in a "presentation" type case for looking at when not displayed here is what I do.

I do is store them flat in "Alvin portfolio's" that I get from a nearby art supply store. They are made of sturdy cardboard and range from $5 to $12. They are various sizes available and come in a large enough size to comfortably fit 24 x 36 prints. I leave kraft paper on the face of the prints and they store/flatten out nice and evenly without the threat of creasing or denting a print.

I then store the portfolios in a bit of a false ceiling I have in my storage room so that there is no threat of them being crushed or stepped on. it is a cheap and easy solution that protects your pieces better than anything but also gets them out of the way. Also ideal for storage under a bed for those who don't have a spot like this.

In our house we have a "gallery wall" that we rotate prints that are not permanently on display on every 4-8 weeks so this system gives me easy access and the ability to enjoy my whole collection at different times.

Underdog07
12-22-2012, 01:47 PM
Sweet. Those silver topped ones are my favorites

Luminous
12-22-2012, 03:04 PM
If you are looking to store and access your prints but not have them in a "presentation" type case for looking at when not displayed here is what I do.

I do is store them flat in "Alvin portfolio's" that I get from a nearby art supply store. They are made of sturdy cardboard and range from $5 to $12. They are various sizes available and come in a large enough size to comfortably fit 24 x 36 prints. I leave kraft paper on the face of the prints and they store/flatten out nice and evenly without the threat of creasing or denting a print.

I then store the portfolios in a bit of a false ceiling I have in my storage room so that there is no threat of them being crushed or stepped on. it is a cheap and easy solution that protects your pieces better than anything but also gets them out of the way. Also ideal for storage under a bed for those who don't have a spot like this.

In our house we have a "gallery wall" that we rotate prints that are not permanently on display on every 4-8 weeks so this system gives me easy access and the ability to enjoy my whole collection at different times.

If I were you, I would swap out that kraft paper with sheets of glassine. Glassine is acid free while kraft is not. Your art store should carry it. I would also make sure that there is a sheet in between whichever prints touch the card board and the board.

johnclone
12-22-2012, 04:01 PM
hi guys. well, my collection has grown a bit lately with all the great releases. im trying my best to budget my framing options (limited wall space and more importantly $$$.$$). as of now, this pic below shows how i store my prints. honestly, they range from all sizes, including a bunch of longer, thinner prints (englerts). what are your suggestions on how i should store these differently or are they okay like this? i know some of you keep professional folders but, i dont want my englerts sliding around in them, if thats at all possible. btw, those are mostly 12"x36". if i need to spend around $150 to find a nice portfolio thatll house all my prints, im totally okay with that. ive seen threads before about which ones to get, but, not sure if its necessary. ive never flattened anything, so, i have no idea how to do that either. thanks guys. hope your holidays are treating you nicely.

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f360/simplyrob/IMG_6470.jpg

new thread idea, show us your tubes. LOL

pavehawk78
12-23-2012, 02:59 AM
new thread idea, show us your tubes. LOL

http://i.imgur.com/ErtHt.gif

Simplyrob
12-23-2012, 05:21 AM
Are there any negatives in just keeping the prints in tubes?

pavehawk78
12-23-2012, 10:50 AM

The cardboard the tubes are made out of and the craft paper the prints are rolled in are not acid free. I'm in the same boat you are in though....I have bunch of various size prints still in their shipping tubes.

Matches Malone
12-23-2012, 01:58 PM
If I were you, I would swap out that kraft paper with sheets of glassine. Glassine is acid free while kraft is not. Your art store should carry it. I would also make sure that there is a sheet in between whichever prints touch the card board and the board.

Thanks for the heads up bro; I will grab some glassine. I do have a liner between the pints and cardboard but I will swap it out with the glassine once I grab some.

Luminous
12-23-2012, 02:33 PM

The cardboard the tubes are made out of and the craft paper the prints are rolled in are not acid free. I'm in the same boat you are in though....I have bunch of various size prints still in their shipping tubes.

I believe there is also a concern with the paint staying flat. Don't quote me on that though.

Thanks for the heads up bro; I will grab some glassine. I do have a liner between the pints and cardboard but I will swap it out with the glassine once I grab some.

No problem. :thumbs2:

Simplyrob
01-11-2013, 06:35 PM
ok, so, ive got the Picturesque Presentation Case carted and an extra pack of 5 pages, all shipped for free, for $188. from what i found in my research, seems the most affordable for what im looking for. this one is 24"x36" and i would imagine can hold the majority of my collection. the Englerts (most of them) should be able to put 2 on each side, and the rest, well, actually, i may need more pages. i believe this case holds up to 40. anyone else have this one?

pavehawk78
01-11-2013, 10:23 PM
Got a link to the store?

Simplyrob
01-12-2013, 05:35 AM
Got a link to the store?

https://www.jerrysartarama.com/

bloodrain
01-12-2013, 03:15 PM
How did you get the case plus pages for 188? The case alone is 199 from everywhere i see.

I purchased the $50 5 pack of pages last week and figured i would just put them on a card board piece under my bed to save the 200 it costs for the case

Simplyrob
01-12-2013, 06:48 PM
How did you get the case plus pages for 188? The case alone is 199 from everywhere i see.

I purchased the $50 5 pack of pages last week and figured i would just put them on a card board piece under my bed to save the 200 it costs for the case

Dude. Since it was over $99 I got free shipping. I found a promo code on EB, missyou25, and got 25% off at checkout. Good luck.

BLACK OPS
06-24-2013, 07:37 AM
Can anyone help, I am looking to pick up a Picturesque Presentation Case 24"x36" like the one you can get at Jerrysartarama over here in Ireland. The problem is if you buy from jerrysartarama shipping is $400 to Ireland. Anybody know where I can get one in Europe. Thanks

Simplyrob
06-24-2013, 11:04 PM
Can anyone help, I am looking to pick up a Picturesque Presentation Case 24"x36" like the one you can get at Jerrysartarama over here in Ireland. The problem is if you buy from jerrysartarama shipping is $400 to Ireland. Anybody know where I can get one in Europe. Thanks

holy hell, $400 for shipping?!?!?! yikes. good luck finding one closer.

Hellboy
06-25-2013, 07:24 PM
$400?!? :eek:

For that much you could get yourself a heavy duty flat file.

Simplyrob
07-09-2013, 01:56 AM
for what its worth, the 24"x36" cases are on "supersale" now for $149. as cheap as theyll get.