PDA

View Full Version : UK Knights, I am in need of assistance.

SirConor
08-06-2005, 06:24 PM
Friends across the Atlantic,

I'm going to be spending the upcoming semester (leaving in about a month) in London at Queen Mary University as an exchange. I'm going to be enrolled directly in the school and know nobody else from the states that will be in UK, so its a safe assumption that it's going to be learning by trail by ordeal for a bit. Nevertheless, I was hoping you fellows would be able to hook me up with some recommendations for comic shops in London!

I'm trying to figure out the best route in which for me to pick up my must-read titles... how does pricing work out? I'm wondering because I'm trying to figure out if I should get someone to pull books for me here before I leave... Obviously, the vast majority of my fundage will be devoted to travel and going out, but I'd hate to have to put comics on hold for three months.

Thanks in advance!

JDH
08-07-2005, 06:36 AM
My London comic shop haunts are conveniently close to each other - Forbidden Planet, on Shaftesbury Avenue, and the Mighty World of Comicana just up the road off New Oxford Street. Both are very central, and get good stocks of new release titles each Thursday (worth remembering that our new comics day is a day later!) FP is great to get a look at all the merchandise in the display cabinets and the large TPB range, Comicana is a cool old-fashioned comic shop with the best back-issue stock I have seen in the UK.

Price wise, comics are definitely more expensive here than in the US - most comics will set you back £2 or more from these shops. But I don't think the difference is too wild, if you decide you just can't wait. Three months would be a long gap in your reading...

Have a great time in London. What are you studying?

SirConor
08-10-2005, 01:32 AM
JDh -

Thanks so much for the info. I think I'll just slim my reading down a bit during my time abroad and pick up my must-haves while I'm over there. I'll definitely have to look into the two places as per your recommendation, they sound great.

I'm a history and philosophy dual major intending to go to law school. I specifically study Medieval Europe with an emphasis on England and Scotland, so there's no better place I could possibly be. I've never visited the UK before and I cannot explain how excited I am to get there. September can't come soon enough.

Thanks again for the info!!

JDH
08-10-2005, 05:16 AM
Wow. If you need any more help, just send me a PM.:)