PDA

View Full Version : GG Luke on Taun Taun-Major sculpting mistake

fat hobbitss
08-07-2005, 06:46 AM
Thought I really liked the prototype Taun Taun pics we've seen anywhere, my mind told me something was off. After checking the film, books and magazines I discovered one big and one medium fails on the sculpt - yeah I know it's still a proto so I hope GG would read this and take a note before its too late.

The main mistake is that the Taun Taun should be smaller (or Luke bigger). Any pic of the full size prop or the stop motion puppet will show that the head of the raider is above the head of the beast. Either Luke, Han when they ride their whole head stands over the Taun Taun's one.

The other aspect that should be corrected is that the Taun Taun legs are much more muscular and thick than on the sculpt, particulary the lower parts. The ones in the figure almost look like chicken ones when compared to the original one.

Escuse me if I sound offensive, that was not my intention. I DO hope GG would read this and make a better Taun Taun for all of us.

http://www.501st.com.br/empire19.jpg
http://www.501st.com.br/empire14.jpg
http://www.sith.nl/multimedia/characters/tauntaun/taun.jpg

In this last pics (the one GG took as reference I'm afraid) the taun-taun head looks to be at the same level as luke, but remember the pic is taken from below the head, and perspective plays a trick making the Taun-taun look taller than it is.
http://www.sith.nl/multimedia/characters/tauntaun/luke_h~1.jpg

Mini-Rock
08-07-2005, 03:25 PM
Can you post pics so we can see what you mean? Thanks. :)

Ghost
08-07-2005, 03:28 PM
Can't post pics heh.

fat hobbitss
08-07-2005, 03:32 PM
Just edited my post to include pics ;)

Ghost
08-07-2005, 03:42 PM
Ah well reference photos is different heh :D

d rod
08-07-2005, 04:00 PM
dewback is a lot bigger on the statue than the movie. as long as it looks good, i'm cool. i've never been one that requests them to look exactly like the art. if i think it looks close and good, i'm happy.

Gianco
08-07-2005, 04:02 PM
Fat hobbitss did you see the statue in person? I can't really express a point of view because I haven't seen a multiple angles pics to make a deep detail. However for what I've seen so far I like it, a lot!

Ghost
08-07-2005, 04:04 PM
Plus the references could be flawed. One was a stop motion puppet while the other one was a live full sized one. I think the statue is fine.

Gianco
08-07-2005, 04:04 PM
dewback is a lot bigger on the statue than the movie. as long as it looks good, i'm cool. i've never been one that requests them to look exactly like the art. if i think it looks close and good, i'm happy.

Hey D any comments about the piece?

Gianco
08-07-2005, 04:05 PM
Ghost how does it looks in person?

Ghost
08-07-2005, 04:08 PM
I thought it looked great actually. Nothing really stood out as being out of proportion like to an extent. It's really a nice size too. I was surprised that the Biker Scout on Swoop looks pretty small. I'd pay like $100-115 for that. But that's just me :D

Viking28
08-07-2005, 04:15 PM
http://www.rebelscum.com/wizardworld2005/wwc05_05.jpg

Ghost
08-07-2005, 04:16 PM
Nice pic, wow you must have been there when no one was around!

fat hobbitss
08-07-2005, 04:19 PM
Hola Gianco,
No I haven't seen the Taun-taun in person (hardly living in Spain :() but from the pics its easy to see. I come from the modelling and fine-art, and sadly (or luckylly) my eye is over trained to catch this things.

I think GG do care about detail, but they are not realy reference obessive, per examble their Speeder bike is too small (10%) when compared to the biker.

I know there were different proportions on the Taun-Taun, and the stop motion puppet is smaller in proportion than the full size, but being the small the one they used for reference to build the prop, I can't see no reason why they make the GG Taun-Taun so big.

This is my never asked question... if you put your time, money an effort in doing something, why don't you make it perfect?

My two cents

VIKING28- do you have more detail pics of the Taun-Taun... in that case would you mind to pm me?

stormshadow007
08-07-2005, 09:00 PM
I want that middle display cabinet and everything in it!

Skulpturen
08-08-2005, 04:43 AM
This is my never asked question... if you put your time, money an effort in doing something, why don't you make it perfect?

Same opinion. Proportions are much more important than details...

However I haven't seen any good GG Taun Taun pics, so I can't say anything about it.

spider-man
08-08-2005, 06:47 AM
still getting it. saw it at SDCC ,loved it!

The General
08-08-2005, 09:38 AM
I'm sure it will look fine. I like these clear pics of Boba though. So is everyone now cool with the "come here let me examine your prostate" pose??? I still think they should have had the other arm in a different pose. Even giving the middle finger ala CK13 :eplus2: would have been better.

Skulpturen
08-08-2005, 10:10 AM
Same opinion, not the best pose...

The bust is better...

fat hobbitss
08-08-2005, 10:29 AM
Yep definitely that is not a pose proper for Boba. The character is much calmer and cool... so sure of himself. Tha defying pose doesn't fit my idea of Boba, plus the ballerina pose on the legs does not help much either lol

Other than that I do love all the detailing they put in the sculpt, shame they didn't go for ESB version!

Regards

Ghost
08-08-2005, 03:17 PM
I never thought of it that way General lol It kept reminding me of when he's waiting to bring Carbonite Han in the Slave 1.

bigjohn550
08-09-2005, 01:42 AM
Just buy Howard Senft's kit and be done with it. I have that kit and I think it's awesome!! :buttrock:

Skulpturen
08-09-2005, 06:28 AM
Just buy Howard Senft's kit and be done with it. I have that kit and I think it's awesome!! :buttrock:

Pictures please!

bigjohn550
08-09-2005, 03:22 PM
This is the best I could do since I haven't built mine yet.

http://www.howardsstudios.com/scifi/tauntaun/