PDA

View Full Version : Downside in being first to market

Wayne Foundation
08-07-2005, 08:46 AM
Bullseye's Hobgoblin thread got me thinking.........

There seems to be a disadvantage in being the first company to do a certain character. I really believe it helps raise the bar for different companies to make a better product later.

Example: The DST Hobgoblin is pretty cool (I have it) but the new Bowen piece is better, IMO. It would be a safe bet that Bowen had to research other pieces to ensure his piece was better and/or didn't look too similar. Likewise, I'm sure DST did the same thing to surpass Bowen's Green Goblin.

IMHO though, Bowen (or anyone) is going to have a hard time beating DST's Lizard...that thing is awesome and loaded with the most detail I've ever seen in a MB.

We consumers are the ones that benefit most from this competition as we can choose the version we like best. But it still stinks when you buy the first offering only to have it eclipsed by a later release of the same character.

The Watcher
08-07-2005, 08:50 AM
Which is another reason why I'm not opposed to revisiting certain characters.

Tetragrammaton
08-07-2005, 09:12 AM
We consumers are the ones that benefit most from this competition as we can choose the version we like best. But it still stinks when you buy the first offering only to have it eclipsed by a later release of the same character.

While I do agree with you to an extent, what stops you from getting both and selling the lesser of the two pieces. I am going through this right now with the Bowen Colossus FS and the SS Cyclops & Colossus Sentinel diorama. I don't want three Colossus statues, so unfortunately one has to go!

Bullseye
08-07-2005, 09:16 AM
You can never have too many Colossus Statues. Bowens one is one of my favourite. Love the classic pose. But i will be picking up the SS one as i like the interactive pieces too.

Juggernaut
08-07-2005, 09:46 AM
I preordered a Colossus chrome statue at my lcs but apparently he could not get the statue. Because I sure dont have it.

Then I preorderd the Exclusice diorama on Sideshow. But I canceled it to make room for Thanos.

The promo pics Bowen had for Colossus looked great. But does it realy look that great in real life?

Bullseye
08-07-2005, 09:48 AM
The Colossus Painted is in my top 3 FS from Bowen in P3. You need to get this if your a fan of Colossus.

nexus
08-07-2005, 09:59 AM
Once the SS comes out, we'll have three Colossus statues (painted, chrome and dio), and two busts (BD & Astonishing chrome). We did have an ARH, but gave that to my nephew.

Anyway, I do think there is some advantage to being second and some to being first. The first co out gets best crack at the market (especially if the competition hasn't announced the same character). That means those who want the second out are faced with the delimma of either having two or selling to get the other (and by that time, the secondary market has softened). I'd rather be first out and just do the best possible at making a great representation of the character because that gives me an open shot at the larger market. Then it's up to the next guy to try to raise the bar and make their case. Good luck.

Tao
08-07-2005, 10:03 AM
You can never have too many Colossus Statues. Bowens one is one of my favourite. Love the classic pose. But i will be picking up the SS one as i like the interactive pieces too.

As long as they are different poses or costumes I don't mind multiple versions of the same characters.

And I will never say I have too many Colossus statues either. :buttrock:

speedracer
08-07-2005, 10:05 AM
I don't really like too many different manufacturers.in my stat collection..I just go with the proven ones..Make mine bowen and sideshow..If they have the same character..I usually go sideshow..but if it's thor or capt..or someone i really like..i get both..doesn't stray too far if you go that way and i find you have a well rounded colection if you stay with 3 or less maufacturers..mine are DC, bowen and my fave sideshow..=)..

candyrocket786
08-07-2005, 10:17 AM

I had the same problem with buying DVDs......

1. First the Regular Edition is released.
2. Next it's the Special Edition.
3. A few months later the Ultimate Edition shows up in stores.
4. By Christmas we have the "Explosive Edition".
5. Finally all of them are topped off by the Super 3-disc, Tricked Out, Championship Hyper Fighting Edition.

In the end.... I just tried to be as selective as possible.

Jesse321
08-07-2005, 10:29 AM
When it comes to FS pieces (and "most" Mini Busts) I buy the ones that I feel represent the character best, true most of the times it is Bowen, but there is some decent work out there, and I do have to admit alot of the other companies are doing much better now a days.

The Watcher
08-07-2005, 10:42 AM
I stay with Bowen because of familiarity, quality and uniformity.

Wayne Foundation
08-07-2005, 12:24 PM
While I do agree with you to an extent, what stops you from getting both and selling the lesser of the two pieces. I am going through this right now with the Bowen Colossus FS and the SS Cyclops & Colossus Sentinel diorama. I don't want three Colossus statues, so unfortunately one has to go!

True...and sometimes I have to do just that. My biggest issue is that I'm trying to be more selective with my purchases to save room and $ to some extent. Another issue (with me at least) is that I usually only want 1 MB per character...so I try to research & choose the one I like best to begin with. However, it is usually easier and more profitable to sell Bowens rather than DST (Marvel items). I don't expect that I would get my initial investment back by selling my DST Lizard, Sandman, etc...so I'd rather keep them than go through the hassle of ebay just to lose money on them.

OneOne78
08-07-2005, 12:36 PM
While it is true that some companies are raising their bar my collection mostly consists of Bowen Design (98%) pieces. Some may call it brand loyalty but I just prefer BD over others because of their scale, quality and era. Like a few here I stopped reading comics in the mid to late 80's because of all the gimmicks. Also space is now starting to become a big factor. I say buy what you like and keep what you love.

lord odin
08-07-2005, 01:26 PM
The Colossus Painted is in my top 3 FS from Bowen in P3. You need to get this if your a fan of Colossus.
You got to love a russian. :)

lord odin
08-07-2005, 01:29 PM
Look at it like comic books in the 60`s you had great artwork 40 years later you still have great artwork but now there is so much different artwork.

the fog
08-07-2005, 02:20 PM
Keeping everything from BD's and dumping everything else, because BD's has more uniform scale and style, the others which I do like are more scattered is style and size, also money comes into factor everything else out, except Bowen's stuff. P.M. for what's to go. I've bought quite a few statues and busts that I really like, but don't need and more stuff from BD that I want, so some have to go. I have to make a choice and it's Bowen Design's, the market is really filling up, some are good and some are great, but I can't have them all.

Juggernaut
08-07-2005, 02:46 PM
I dont care if it is Sideshow, Bowen or some other campany.

If I like I buy it.

C. Bormann
08-07-2005, 02:58 PM
If something better comes out, then dump your old version on eBay.

Personally, I think that BD has the most consistent product on the market. In size, quality of materials, and accuracy of the character. In addition, I deal with BD directly. And on the few occasions that I had a problem, the BD STAFF took care of it promptly.

Just remember, nobody is forcing you to be a completist. Just buy what you like and enjoy it.

Jesse321
08-07-2005, 03:26 PM
Just remember, nobody is forcing you to be a completist. Just buy what you like and enjoy it.
Who ever said that anyone "forced anyone" to be a completest? I enjoy my status as a completest and no one here (or anywhere else) pays for my pieces but me. The day I see a piece that I just don't want, I'll deside if a change of status is in order.

I don't understand the need for an indrect pot shot at completests, other than to just stir up the debate on this arguement yet again. You're not a completest, you don't agree with it ... fine we get it ... let those of us that are enjoy it was well.

giro
08-07-2005, 03:36 PM
yeah everybody has a different way of collecting that's what makes us different , i just collect fullsize statue's , and i want most of the time low number one's , thats me , but if it's a statue thats allocated like i was with ss painted , then i just go out there and try and find one at a good price . it's all good in my book .

lord odin
08-07-2005, 04:18 PM
I dont care if it is Sideshow, Bowen or some other campany.

If I like I buy it.
That`s what I do.

the fog
08-07-2005, 09:53 PM
I've bought items from every company, but as I look at my collection which is getting bigger by the day, along with books and posters, prints and original artwork I see where I want to go from here, BD's is leading the way, and maybe I will buy items from other companies down the line, but I'll be very,very selective from now on out. It's like getting a new car and thinking it's so great then in a few years you just get in and drive it, well that's the same thing with some of the stuff I have now "It" doesn't really attract me to it anymore, then I realize it can go, so here it is.

Completist or not, who cares, you like what you like, it's your money. What bothers me is people tearing up sculpters and artists stuff, accept them for what they created for you, unless you can do better.

lord odin
08-07-2005, 10:12 PM
I've bought items from every company, but as I look at my collection which is getting bigger by the day, along with books and posters, prints and original artwork I see where I want to go from here, BD's is leading the way, and maybe I will buy items from other companies down the line, but I'll be very,very selective from now on out. It's like getting a new car and thinking it's so great then in a few years you just get in and drive it, well that's the same thing with some of the stuff I have now "It" doesn't really attract me to it anymore, then I realize it can go, so here it is.

Completist or not, who cares, you like what you like, it's your money. What bothers me is people tearing up sculpters and artists stuff, accept them for what they created for you, unless you can do better. Well said.

Tao
08-07-2005, 10:21 PM
I agree with the sentiments posted here. People do have to make choices about their collections. Which version of what comic character and what not.

I just try to remind myself each month that each of these "things" i enjoy so much, is just a thing. And that a few years ago, BD was not making statues and the DST offerings were weak, at best. We are fortunate to be able to collect statues in this time period. I think that the exploitation of the license by Marvel will evenutally collapse the market. In the meantime, though, the competition is really creating some nice works of art.

So, enjoy it while it last.

C. Bormann
08-08-2005, 01:21 AM
I don't understand the need for an indrect pot shot at completests, other than to just stir up the debate on this arguement yet again. You're not a completest, you don't agree with it ... fine we get it ... let those of us that are enjoy it was well.
You seem to have gotten yourself a little worked up, over nothing important.

My point was, that there is a recurring theme on this forum and in this hobby, that we have to snatch up every piece produced or else we missed the boat. And once that character is produced we risk having another company produce a "BETTER" version. And yet another time we miss the boat, because we can't afford to buy every piece of every character from every company. So, once again I'll say. If something better comes along, then dump your old stuff on eBay.

I've been collecting Randy's statues and busts for over 11 years now. I have acquired a substantial collection, but I only try to have a complete collection of mini busts. But even with that there are limitations. I don't ever expect to own the Bruce Banner, Peter Parker or Steve Rogers busts. I love the full size pieces, but money and space take a priority. So, I only pick and choose the full size pieces I definitely want to have.

lord odin
08-08-2005, 01:27 AM
You seem to have gotten yourself a little worked up, over nothing important.

My point was, that there is a recurring theme on this forum and in this hobby, that we have to snatch up every piece produced or else we missed the boat. And once that character is produced we risk having another company produce a "BETTER" version. And yet another time we miss the boat, because we can't afford to buy every piece of every character from every company. So, once again I'll say. If something better comes along, then dump your old stuff on eBay.

I've been collecting Randy's statues and busts for over 11 years now. I have acquired a substantial collection, but I only try to have a complete collection of mini busts. But even with that there are limitations. I don't ever expect to own the Bruce Banner, Peter Parker or Steve Rogers busts. I love the full size pieces, but money and space take a priority. So, I only pick and choose the full size pieces I definitely want to have.Coming from this completist well said. :thumbs2: