PDA

View Full Version : The best contract sculpter for Bowen Designs...

Parky
08-09-2005, 04:10 PM
I was thinking about this and thought it would make a cool new thread topic,

So...

Who do you think has been the best contract sculpter for Bowen from the beginning and why?

Mine

Statues: Ray Villafane
His sheer attention to detail (sometimes lost in the paint) and not over sculpting his pieces; LESS is MORE in my opinion.

Busts: The Kucharek Brothers
The talent to capture the essense of the character with excellent human propotions in their sculptures.

For bullseye

1) Erick Sosa
2) The Kucharek Brothers
3) Seth Vandable
4) Carl Surgess
5) The Shifflett Brothers
6) Ray Villafane
7) John Cleary
8) Bruno Bolteau
9) Jim Maddox
10) Ruben Procopio
11) Martin Canale
12) Tom & Joy Snider - well done CK13
13) Mark Newman - thanks Kirk
14) Sam Greenwell
15) Thomas Kuntz
16) Mark VanTine
17) any more?

lord odin
08-09-2005, 04:14 PM
Ray V. has done an awesome job on his statues this guy is going places.

Bullseye
08-09-2005, 04:16 PM
This is a very hard question to answer. I'll have to think long and hard before i give my answer. It would be helpful if we had a full list of sculptors and their work.

Collection King 13
08-09-2005, 04:16 PM
The Kucharek Bros I think are the best BD pick up yet... Dont get me worng all the others are also great...

lord odin
08-09-2005, 04:18 PM
This is a very hard question to answer. I'll have to think long and hard before i give my answer. It would be helpful if we had a full list of sculptors and their work.
Just look on your boxes DUH. :rolleyes2
And I thought you never miss. :laugh:

Bullseye
08-09-2005, 04:19 PM

Keep it up and you'll be choking on a deck of cards. :eplus2:

Collection King 13
08-09-2005, 04:20 PM
:laugh: Its also written on the base of the bust/statue....

Azog
08-09-2005, 04:20 PM
The Kucharek Bros I think are the best BD pick up yet... Dont get me worng all the others are also great...

Yep, between The Watcher Bust and now Gambit, The K Bros. all the way, followed closely by R. Villa. and Erick Sosa

Bullseye
08-09-2005, 04:21 PM
I don't have all the statues or busts so how can i go and look:)

Parky
08-09-2005, 04:23 PM

Just edited the main message up top for you guys. Aren't I good to you :)

Hmm, a poll would have been good :rolleyes2

Bullseye
08-09-2005, 04:24 PM
I'd have to say from the ones i know that Ericks Scarlet Witch & Deadpool and Rays Magneto FS are all excellent. John Cleary has made a great start with Bowen Design and IMO will be the sculptor to beat in the future. The Shiflett Brothers for me though have produced with the help of Randy three awesome sculpts Juggy, Vision and Thanos. The Kub Bros are also worth a mention. While i won't be picking up Nightcrawler their Moonknight is a must for anyones collection.

Jim Maddock is quite simply awesome and should be sculpting more fullsizes.

Collection King 13
08-09-2005, 04:25 PM
For bullseye

1) Erick Sosa
2) The Kucharek Brothers
3) Seth Venable
4) Carl Surgess
5) The Shifflett Brothers
6) Ray Villafane
7) John Cleary
8) Bruno Bolteau
9) Jim Maddox
10) Ruben Procopio
11) any more?

Tom & Joy Snider...
And who did Omega Red? Wasnt it somebody from the Gore Group or used to be part of the Gore Group?

lord odin
08-09-2005, 04:26 PM
I'd have to say from the ones i know that Rays Scarlet Witch, Deadpool and Magneto FS are all excellent. John Cleary has made a great start with Bowen Design and IMO will be the sculptor to beat in the future. The Shiflett Brothers for me though have produced with the helpt of Randy three awesome sculpts Juggy, Vision and Thanos. The Kub Bros are also worth a mention. While i won't be picking up Nightcrawler their Moonknight is a must for anyones collection.
Ray didn`t do scarlet witch.
Good thing you don`t have any real powers you`d hurt yourself. :laugh:

Bullseye
Tom & Joy Snider...
And who did Omega Red? Wasnt it somebody from the Gore Group or used to be part of the Gore Group?

Martin Canale sculpted this. They are working full time for Sideshow now.

nolilia
Ray Villafane and Kutcharek Bros for me. Also Seth Vandable (the one who does Iron Fist).

Collection King 13
I'd have to say from the ones i know that Rays Scarlet Witch, Deadpool and Magneto FS are all excellent. John Cleary has made a great start with Bowen Design and IMO will be the sculptor to beat in the future. The Shiflett Brothers for me though have produced with the helpt of Randy three awesome sculpts Juggy, Vision and Thanos. The Kub Bros are also worth a mention. While i won't be picking up Nightcrawler their Moonknight is a must for anyones collection.
Ray didnt do Scalet Witch... Eric Sosa did... And I think he did Deadpool also...

Bullseye
08-09-2005, 04:28 PM
Ray didnt do Scalet Witch... Eric Sosa did... And I think he did Deadpool also...

Typo. :)

Bullseye
08-09-2005, 04:28 PM
Ray didn`t do scarlet witch.
Good thing you don`t have any real powers you`d hurt yourself. :laugh:

I'll hurt you in a minute. :eplus2:

imthkman
08-09-2005, 04:31 PM
I like Ruben Procopio's work so far. Loved Taskmaster, and Union Jack looks fantastic. I also like Villafane's Sabretooth. It's excellent. However, the Shifflet's work on several of my favorite busts (Wolverine, Black Panther), and Juggernaut FS, make them my favorite overall.

bat_collector
08-09-2005, 04:35 PM
Everybody should know, Ray V. is my favorite. He did the definitive Sabertooth and Logan statues.

Shifletts are a close second to me. My 3rd and 4th favorite statues are Jugg. and Grey Hulk.

Bullseye
08-09-2005, 04:37 PM
Has Tony C. done any work for Randy yet. I'd love to see him work with BD. A truly great sculptor. And if Clay Moore was to do some work;)

Kirk Durfey
08-09-2005, 04:39 PM
Mark Newman
Sam Greenwell
Thomas Kuntz

All did pieces...

Meta Jon
08-09-2005, 04:40 PM
Jim Maddox hands down.
but holy crap are the others very good at thier craft (Come on Randy - pick up Sam's Spiral!!)

Bullseye
08-09-2005, 04:42 PM
Jim Maddox hands down.
but holy crap are the others very good at thier craft (Come on Randy - pick up Sam's Spiral!!)

Man i'd love that Spiral as a FS.

hellspawn77
08-09-2005, 04:44 PM
Ray hands down!

Also the most handsome.... er..... so he says anyways! :confused2

:laugh:

claudio

Bullseye
08-09-2005, 04:44 PM
Claudio have you shown that Elektra to Randy?

Mad4Busts
08-09-2005, 04:45 PM
For me it's
1) Villafane
2) Cleary
3) Sosa

those are my top 3 but...most of them are good...not a big fan of a couple too

syzygy
08-09-2005, 04:47 PM
who's the guy who sculpted man-thing?? is he on the list?

Bullseye
08-09-2005, 04:48 PM
For me it's
1) Villafane
2) Cleary
3) Sosa

those are my top 3 but...most of them are good...not a big fan of a couple too

Which two? :)

JDH
08-09-2005, 04:50 PM
The one I would most like to buy another BD statue from would be Mark Newman. I would also like it to have Spider-Woman's logo on the box...

That aside, did Seth Vandable sculpt anything other than the Iron Fist bust? If not, he's probably the only sculptor batting 1.000 in the Bowen line, in my book.

syzygy
08-09-2005, 04:57 PM
never mind, answered my own question, its mark van tine. even though it's his first bowen piece and all i have to go on is the preview photo, i think he could be one of the best.

nexus
08-09-2005, 05:05 PM
Top 5, in no particular order.
Erick, Ray, Jim, John, Kucharek Bros.
Shifletts have a great dynamic though.
I say, just keep 'em all bizy.

dtorrens
08-09-2005, 05:25 PM
10) Ruben Procopio

Tao
08-09-2005, 05:28 PM
I can't say enough positive things about the sculptors who have worked for Bowen. They have delivered great work, IMO and RB has keep a good deal of consistency in the line overall.

I have often quoted a friend of mine who said "Talent is a gift you did not earn." So I won't call these people talented, though some may be. I really do respect, however, their skills.

Odinson
08-09-2005, 05:45 PM
Best: Ruben Procopio, taskmaster MB is amazing 360.

acrylic paint
08-09-2005, 07:12 PM
Don't forget Neil Surges (FFF) and Steve West (Scarlet Witch bust).

nbr3bagshotrow
08-09-2005, 07:21 PM
Top 3 in no particular order.

Ray
Ray
Ray

A very close 4th (by a short hair:rolleyes2 ) is
Sosa

hellspawn77
08-09-2005, 07:27 PM
Claudio have you shown that Elektra to Randy?

A long time ago - yes. I don't think he's interested in my type of style (I've shown him other work in the past as well). ;)

I'd like to fix her up one day when I have more time. In reality I'd love to do a Blade bust based on this comic book version (attached) one day soon for myself.

Ray is my favourite sculptor of all time: even though all the other sculptors are incredibley amazing as well... Ray just is exactly what I like in terms of sculpture. :buttrock:

Claudio

The Watcher
08-09-2005, 07:52 PM
My favorite sculptors right now are the Kucharek Brothers. They sculpted the following (among other sculpts):

1. The Watcher mini bust
2. Battle Armor Thor mini bust
3. The Sandman mini bust
4. The Vulture mini bust

My second pick would be Ray Villafane.

OneOne78
08-09-2005, 08:30 PM
My top five in no particular order:

Erick Sosa - Psylocke
Carl Surgess - Nova
The Shifflett Brothers - Juggernaut FS
Ray Villafane - Sabretooth
The Kucharek Brothers - Vulture & others

carrillj
08-09-2005, 08:30 PM
After seeing the Thanos FS statue, I have to say my favorite sculptor by far is BOWFLETT! :buttrock: ;)

Sniper
08-09-2005, 09:21 PM
all of them are truly talented and I love all their works!!

FNGrimm
08-10-2005, 12:48 AM
those Kucharek guys all the way

fhurtado3627
08-10-2005, 01:18 AM
My vote is for Ruben Procopio.
He is an extremely talented sculptor. His work for BD on The Taskmaster is outstanding! I am looking forward to his Lockjaw and Union Jack busts. Randy, send some full-size work his way.

ManthingVT
08-10-2005, 01:30 AM
Thanks syzygy... :rolleyes2

SirConor
08-10-2005, 01:36 AM
Everyone that sculpts for BD is incredibly talented and I think its almost unfair to have to pick a "best" of the bunch. However, I will say that my personal favorite(s) have been a toss up between Ray, Erick, and the Kuchareks. Jim Maddox doesn't get nearly enough credit and I think may be overlooked a bit in this question because he hasn't been given ENOUGH work yet... but he's incredible, and will shine in the future.

Bullseye
08-10-2005, 03:36 AM
Mark VanTine's Manthing is also awesome but i'd like to see more work from him and BD.

Leon
08-10-2005, 09:06 AM
14) Sam Greenwell
Which bust did he do for Bowen? Anyone?

Parky
08-10-2005, 09:10 AM
Which bust did he do for Bowen? Anyone?

Green Goblin? Doctor Strange? Quicksilver? not exactly sure Leon

Kirk gave me that name.

Leon
08-10-2005, 09:43 AM
Green Goblin & Dr. Strange were done by Kuntz and Quicksilver was done by the Snyders.

Jesse321
08-10-2005, 10:20 AM
I think that all the contract artists are insanely talented, I honestly couldn't pick favorites, they're all amazing.

hehehehehe ... who says I don't have a career in politics :eplus2:

imthkman
08-10-2005, 10:31 AM
Greenwell did Angel.

Dr.V2005
08-10-2005, 10:31 AM
I like the Snyder's She-Hulk and Spider-Woman a lot, Ruben Procopio's Taskmaster, Union Jack and Lockjaw and the Kuchareks various pieces.

The General
08-10-2005, 10:35 AM
Too close to call. Villafane is on a major roll. Cleary is looking strong. Kurachek Bros are insane and Martin Canalle might have the best sculpt of the phase with his Omega Red. Sosa is also on fire. So say one is the best is hard. Maybe a better and fair question is who of the contracted sculptors did the best sculpt thus far. Personally it's between Martins Omega Red and Villafanes unpainted Logan.

acrylic paint
08-10-2005, 11:05 AM
Maybe you guys are not giving enough credit for the artist direction they are being given. They are all good at what they do, but most of the concepts, suggested changes and tweaks remain with Randy, as well as mold design, paint masters, final factory approval and quality control. This is where Randy excels in building a consistent quality line of product. He could retire from sculpting (heaven forbid) and the body of work would not skip a beat as long as he provides direction.

Leon
08-10-2005, 11:30 AM
Greenwell did Angel.
thank you

Martin Canalle might have the best sculpt of the phase with his Omega Red.
I agree, that sculpt is amazing.

nbr3bagshotrow
08-10-2005, 11:42 AM
Maybe you guys are not giving enough credit for the artist direction they are being given. They are all good at what they do, but most of the concepts, suggested changes and tweaks remain with Randy, as well as mold design, paint masters, final factory approval and quality control. This is where Randy excels in building a consistent quality line of product. He could retire from sculpting (heaven forbid) and the body of work would not skip a beat as long as he provides direction.
I don't think anyone is saying any of the artists are bad and I'd bet everyone on this forum thinks all the sculptors Randy has contracted with are very talented. We can still have a favorite.

mwf6171
08-10-2005, 12:36 PM
That is too hard of a question to answer!!

acrylic paint
08-10-2005, 12:56 PM
I don't think anyone is saying any of the artists are bad and I'd bet everyone on this forum thinks all the sculptors Randy has contracted with are very talented. We can still have a favorite.

None are bad - they are all good masters of their art. It's tough to choose a favourite on the basis of one sculpt without appreciating the efforts of everyone else involved in making it. Some of the original prototypes developed by the sculptors may only vaguely resemble the final product because of the direction involved.

It's great to see the artists independent work; it gives you a sense of their specific style.

Leon
08-10-2005, 01:01 PM
I'm most impressed with:
-Martin Canale's Omega Red
-Mark Newman's Power Man
-Snyders' Quicksilver

Kirk Durfey
08-10-2005, 01:12 PM
If I remember correctly, John Dennett did the Doc Ock...

Kirk Durfey
08-10-2005, 01:15 PM
The one I would most like to buy another BD statue from would be Mark Newman. I would also like it to have Spider-Woman's logo on the box....
Mark Newman is one of my favorite sculptors. He did an incredible garage kit titled 'Moonsinger', one of the best werewolf sculpts around.

That aside, did Seth Vandable sculpt anything other than the Iron Fist bust? If not, he's probably the only sculptor batting 1.000 in the Bowen line, in my book.
I think Shawn Nagle only did Deathlok, which was quite nice...

to me my board!
08-10-2005, 01:54 PM
yep - Kucharek Bros for me also. I also like Villafane's work and I think we will also see a helluva lot more of John Cleary in the future.

enzo
08-10-2005, 02:39 PM
Villafane. his detail is awsome

JohnCleary
08-10-2005, 02:56 PM
yep - Kucharek Bros for me also. I also like Villafane's work and I think we will also see a helluva lot more of John Cleary in the future.

Thanks to those who mentioned my name. I really appreciate it. :)

I hope youll see alot more of me doing stuff for BD. :)

Bullseye
08-10-2005, 03:00 PM
So do i John and in particular Spidey Villains and a nice Apocalypse FS too.

JohnCleary
08-10-2005, 03:39 PM
So do i John and in particular Spidey Villains and a nice Apocalypse FS too.

Thanks Bullseye! That would all rock! I'm ready to get busting on some more cool projects! :buttrock: