PDA

View Full Version : are hard hero statues cheesy?

bigben7
08-09-2005, 07:28 PM
hey guys. i mainly collect bowen. after seein sideshows dr doom i got hooked and im gettin the wolverine/sabretooth,green goblin,dr doom and x men / sentinel. now i saw this hawkeye and i love hawkeye and might look into gettin it and then cap, thor and namor. only problem i can afford to collect because the guy i buy from gives me 25% off and free shipping! but no hard hero. so if i gotta go direct and it costs 175.00-*200.00 im not sure if its worth it. so does anyone have hard hero stateus? are they sheesy compared to sideshow and bowen?a little help please

nbr3bagshotrow
08-09-2005, 07:37 PM
And to think I thought you were referring to their statues and not their business practices.:laugh:

P1X4R
08-09-2005, 07:43 PM
i'm getting my first HH marvel statue (silver surfer) soon.. i'll take pics. from what i've seen so far they look very cool (classic old style)! i like Seth's clean design he's sculpted so far.

Tommy Allison
08-09-2005, 07:45 PM
I think Hard Hero does a great job of producing decent statues. Very clean, very well done pieces.

cyberpunk12
08-09-2005, 08:09 PM
I really like what they're doing. Some of you guys have mentioned the "comic book" look they go for, and that's a big part of their charm for me. They ARE based on comic book characters, after all... and I think it sets them apart from the stylings of Bowen Designs and Sideshow.

The Cap sculpt was the one that really got my attention. Something tells me that these have the potential to be big hits on the secondary market. Similar to the first ten Bowen Designs busts, they may sit around to start with... but I feel that some collectors will be scrambling to catch up down the road.

Their character selection has been interesting so far... a good mix with plenty of heavy hitters still waiting in the wings. I'm a big fan of the X-Men, but I particularly like the way they're coming out the gate with Defenders and Avengers characters. I can't wait to see who's next.

mitthrawnuruondo
08-09-2005, 09:20 PM
i like them a lot,and having seen them in person now,i would definately say they are not cheesy.they are kick a@$.i am not a real big avengers fan but the statues are very tempting and i may end up getting them.i am looking forward to seeing the iron man :buttrock:

Sniper
08-09-2005, 09:25 PM
I like them alot, I plan on getting the surfer and the capt. The namor I have to see which I would get bet this one and bowen . IF bowern comes out with the variant, I would go with the hh and the bowen variant !

lord odin
08-09-2005, 09:36 PM
I`m getting all the ones i`ve seen so far and maybe 2-3 Hawkeyes so one of them can be customed with ant man on the arrow tip.

ickwinzs
08-09-2005, 10:02 PM
these are no more chessey than the ones bowen puts out

furie
08-09-2005, 10:20 PM
I like them too -- Like Bowen's better to be honest.

The General
08-09-2005, 10:47 PM
HH makes quality stuff. I like the straight up comic book style they are doing. I like it better than the "real life" Alex Ross look. F'n Hack.

acrylic paint
08-09-2005, 10:49 PM
I can only speak for the Silver Surfer statue because I own it, but it is every bit as good in detail, paints and overall quality as Bowen statues. No "cheesiness", "comic book quality" or anything of the sort here. In my opinion, Seth sculpted a better Surfer than Randy.

For all I know it may be downhill from here and the Avengers line may be junk .... but their first sculpt in this line is outstanding.

furie
08-09-2005, 10:53 PM
I might have to pick up SS soon.

bat_collector
08-09-2005, 11:34 PM
I really want to get this line! Their cap is awesome, and hawkeye looks great. Thor is all he should be.

furie
08-09-2005, 11:49 PM
bat collector -- ever break out a bat-wing?

Ghost
08-10-2005, 05:07 AM
Saw the Surfer in person at the Con, I liked it alot, wish I could find that chrome one!

James UK
08-10-2005, 07:56 AM
I do like them... wouldn't get any of the Marvel ones as I much prefer Bowen, but I did love the X-men Evolution ones... they should have continued as we never even got a full team!

carrillj
08-10-2005, 08:19 AM
Saw the Surfer in person at the Con, I liked it alot, wish I could find that chrome one!

Is there a chrome version of the HH Silver Surfer? I thought it was only Diamond that had the chase chrome Surfer statue? :confused:

DDura711
08-10-2005, 10:46 AM
I'm still thinking about getting the HH Surfer, just cause Surfer ROCKS and I have 3 other versions of him so far. A 4th wouldn't hurt.

Cage
08-10-2005, 12:01 PM
I kinda like the Thor and Hawkeye (I like Odin's idea about the custom can't wait to see that). If I get them it will be through DRod, but they carry a high tag for me to get them and Bowen, and you know I'm saving my coins for Phase III! :buttrock:

Strontium Dog
08-26-2005, 06:36 PM
HH makes quality stuff. I like the straight up comic book style they are doing. I like it better than the "real life" Alex Ross look. F'n Hack.
What specifically makes Alex Ross a hack in your opinion? I think he brought a completely different angle to the Superhero art form and gave a unique sense of realism to the physical presence of the characters he drew/draws. Does that make him a hack? A hack to me is someone who either is completely crap at what he/she does or copies/rips off another's style.

I guess you can tell I'm an Alex Ross fan.

Bullseye
08-26-2005, 06:42 PM
SD i'd like Ross for the fact he can't draw Spider-man. If he can't draw Spidey i ain't a fan.

Strontium Dog
08-26-2005, 06:46 PM
Fair enough Bulls. But I love his take on the JLA especially Batman (obv).

Did you not like Marvels then?

Bullseye
08-26-2005, 07:05 PM
His JLA stuff is awesome no doubt and most of his Marvel stuff is also great.

wizard-comics
08-26-2005, 08:02 PM
Sorry...but gotta say Alex Ross ROCKS!!!!! :buttrock:

NO ONE can paint like he does, Watson comes close...but not close enough

I love the realism he does with the characters, makes the medium look mature. Everything I put up on the Walls in my office are done by him or Watson...I love many of the Artists but for a mature look at work I gotta go with these two...now at home is a different story!

Seth Vandable
08-26-2005, 08:21 PM
MMMMMMMMMmmmm......cheese!

speedracer
08-26-2005, 08:41 PM
I enjoy the hard hero line and a lot of my friends here in my country are getting the whole line..=)..but I started with backtracking the bowens that i've missed and going forward with sideshow..I"m afraid i have no more funds for another line...I do agree that the sculpts are class A work and they should be very desirable in the future given the sculpt and the run..=)

nbr3bagshotrow
08-26-2005, 09:23 PM
What specifically makes Alex Ross a hack in your opinion? I think he brought a completely different angle to the Superhero art form and gave a unique sense of realism to the physical presence of the characters he drew/draws. Does that make him a hack? A hack to me is someone who either is completely crap at what he/she does or copies/rips off another's style.

Same here. That's what I think is great about his art. I only wish I could afford a canvas O7 giclee.

The General
08-27-2005, 12:28 AM

Ok I'm going overboard saying he's a hack. The dude could draw I just hate his style. IMO it sucks.

Sniper
08-27-2005, 12:41 AM
Ok I'm going overboard saying he's a hack. The dude could draw I just hate his style. IMO it sucks.
IMO I think you suck!!!! :eplus2: I like ross and his art!!!!!

boondocksaint
08-27-2005, 12:42 AM
IMO I think you suck!!!! :eplus2: I like ross and his art!!!!!

i have to agree,,,i like ross's style....but i dont think the general sucks! :laugh:

Sniper
08-27-2005, 12:44 AM
IMO I think you suck!!!! :eplus2: I like ross he is a hell of a nice guy. Chicago they caped his line at 20 minutes. I remained on the line to get my superman signed and my earth X wolverines. Ross went through all the people very quickly adn got to the rest of the people who decided to wait. He could have left but he stood there and signed for everyone. They even made an announcement that he was still available to sign about 45 minutes after I got my stuff signed. I love his art and want the JLA giclee he drew!

The General
08-27-2005, 09:38 AM
Ross and Sniper suck. :eplus2:

Boony rocks!!! :buttrock:

boondocksaint
08-27-2005, 11:29 AM
Ross and Sniper suck. :eplus2:

Boony rocks!!! :buttrock:

LOL....go easy on ross....and sniper,,,,uhmmm...nevermind! :buttrock:

COI
08-28-2005, 03:04 PM
I really like what I'm seeing with Hawkeye, Thor, Cap and Subby, but Bowen will be making all of these in phase 3 as well. And it's not like I mind having multiple statues of the same characters in my collection, but with the price tag on the HH stuff, I want to wait and see how both lines unfold before I start buying.

lord odin
08-28-2005, 05:25 PM
I really like what I'm seeing with Hawkeye, Thor, Cap and Subby, but Bowen will be making all of these in phase 3 as well. And it's not like I mind having multiple statues of the same characters in my collection, but with the price tag on the HH stuff, I want to wait and see how both lines unfold before I start buying.
That makes sense.

ashley76
08-28-2005, 08:14 PM
If you wait to long on the HH stuff you will be paying more later than you will now. As soon as people start getting hold of the stuff you will see.

COI
08-28-2005, 10:33 PM
If you wait to long on the HH stuff you will be paying more later than you will now. As soon as people start getting hold of the stuff you will see.

I'm going to try picking up the Thor for under retail when it comes out, and see how I like it. I'll go from there. I just don't want to run around, pre-ordering stuff, as I've done that enough as it is.

bigben7
08-28-2005, 10:44 PM
well i decided to statrt the hard hero marvel line. i won the silver surfer on ebay today for 165.00 shipped. cant wait for the next ones. that hulk looks awesome!!1i think i willbe buying less bowen fullsize statues and more bowen busts now

silverageguy
08-29-2005, 01:33 PM
Along with several others, I won't be buying them.
I would qualify them as "O.K." but not compelling in any way.

And they do look a bit smooth in style which is strange and which, I think, has turned off some of the collectors who have posted that they are not getting this line.

For me to switch to Hard Hero would be a huge move considering the time and effort put into collecting Bowen mini busts and trying to match a pertinent display.

Nice effort, Hard Hero, but just like Diamond Select and Dynamic Forces, I will pass . . .

strange_one
08-29-2005, 11:41 PM
I really don't think you should lump Hard Hero in the same field as DS or DF, by all accounts the quality is far greater

bigben7
08-29-2005, 11:45 PM
well i won a silver surfer on ebay yesterday and cant wait to get it and see for myself. doesnt mean i stop bowen,.just means im gonna be more selective on what bowen i buy.i think all the statues in the hard hero marvel line look awesome and true to comic art! i know bowen is also doing another thor, another cap, another hulk, namor and hawkeye... but i really like the look of the hard hero line.

d rod
08-30-2005, 01:32 AM
a few have stated about how the move from bowen would be tough. well, that's like every year buying the same car. diversity is good. if you haven't seen the HH statues in person, don't even knock it. the last i remember of this type of quality is legends in 3D. not to say that bowen doesn't have quality which his is superb but bowen statues mostly look like statues, not action poses. that being said, it's nice to see super high quality action poses. i think there's plenty of room in the market for both companies to survive comfortably.

bigben7
08-30-2005, 01:35 AM
drod, i hear ya. pm me back about my question on hard hero.i got a surfer off ebay since you sold yours out

giro
09-14-2005, 02:44 PM
all i know is there new hulk looks great so far , no cheese there

bigben7
09-15-2005, 05:54 PM
i did get a silver surfer a fe weeks back for a good price of 165.00 shipped! i think its the best satue i have ever bought! i went and prordered the rest with drod that day! love it

imthkman
09-16-2005, 12:41 AM
MMMMMMMMMmmmm......cheese!

:laugh: :laugh:

mcterrel
09-16-2005, 08:36 PM
Have to be honest, if it came down to RB or HH, I'd go RB... *but*, since I'm now a middle-aged adolescent I can afford both so I bought all five HH APs... and two Captain Americas (an AP and a numbered version) because like RB at first, I think the line will appreciate over time...and I'm a lifelong Cap fanboy. As for quality - I have the Silver Surfer and with all due reverence for RB - I like it better than the RB FS versions... Norrin Rad's a cosmic adventurer - he's not the type to stand around with his board like a surfer waiting for a wave... the HH version looks like he's on a quest and speeding to some great adventure... the spirit of the HH sculpture is addictive and what started me as a HH collector... my advice - buy the first five while the getting's good - I think they'll go up in price within a few years.