PDA

View Full Version : New Look Superman & Batman by Alex Ross

gem joe
07-31-2013, 12:12 AM
http://www.alexrossart.com/rossreport.asp?id=709

What do you think

built2shred
07-31-2013, 12:25 AM
Hey a Neon Superman and Batman... To shiny for my tastes..

Madame_Siryn
07-31-2013, 12:26 AM
When I click on both illustrations for a closer look, I see the Avengers...literally.

PureInvasion
07-31-2013, 12:39 AM
When I click on both illustrations for a closer look, I see the Avengers...literally.

indeed. They must really want to push the Avengers :laugh:

Don't really care for these drawings much though. They're too ripped and not what I'm used to in a Ross drawing. Also Supes looks like he's doing a ballerina/pointy foot pose.

...but what is this doing in this section?

JBElliott
07-31-2013, 03:45 PM
I'm not a big fan of shiny costumes.

Ross' art is usually more realistic than this. It's nice to see he can do this, but I like his other style.

Medusoid
07-31-2013, 05:47 PM
I love the Batman one.

Are the lithos only available at SDCC?

tedmic
07-31-2013, 07:33 PM
I'm a big fan of Ross's work but NOT these two. The new Avengers is great though!

risingstar
07-31-2013, 07:58 PM
The Avengers looks awesome.
The other two are too glitzy shiny. However, the artwork is nice.

Vracula
07-31-2013, 08:37 PM
Dont like the bats ,supes is ok , but funny foots.

Luminous
07-31-2013, 08:55 PM
I walked into one of the art galleries in San Diego during SDCC 2013, and I saw both of the originals for these two on their wall. I don't remember their prices, but needless to say, they were very expensive. What surprised me, was that while I was leaving, some guy approached the dealer and then bought the Batman one.

Simplyrob
07-31-2013, 09:02 PM
I walked into one of the art galleries in San Diego during SDCC 2013, and I saw both of the originals for these two on their wall. I don't remember their prices, but needless to say, they were very expensive. What surprised me, was that while I was leaving, some guy approached the dealer and then bought the Batman one.

Ross originals are in the tens of thousands and have been for a long time. I remember back when the WB stores were around, his stuff was astronomical back then even and its been at least, what, 15 years since those shops were around? they used to have such awesome stuff. i worked at a mall back then and on my breaks would go and just stargaze at all the awesome art. i picked up a batman/superman Jim Lee piece from there, already framed. its hanging in our gameroom/loft. no telling what its worth now that the film has been announced. maybe a good time to unload it.

Underdog07
08-01-2013, 10:19 AM

Really? That is surprising.

I was in the same gallery. Neither impressed me. What was cool in that gallery was the metal specs of the star destroyer and the millenium falcon -- did you see those? If I had not just bought a Heisenberg hat I might have bought one of the smaller pieces

Ah, and the Avengers piece was on display in the con -- really a sharp piece.

risingstar
08-01-2013, 11:49 AM
Really? That is surprising.

I was in the same gallery. Neither impressed me. What was cool in that gallery was the metal specs of the star destroyer and the millenium falcon -- did you see those? If I had not just bought a Heisenberg hat I might have bought one of the smaller pieces

Ah, and the Avengers piece was on display in the con -- really a sharp piece.

How much was a Heisenberg hat???

Underdog07
08-01-2013, 04:10 PM
How much was a Heisenberg hat???

2 bills

I had a few drinks at lunch and was walking around and went past the store selling them. :sos: Total impulse buy. One sold on ebay for 5 and the rest that are listed are crazy high.

And my wife loved it. She just stared at me (with what I imagine was love or disgust . . . .come to think of it, it was probably disgust).:hi:

Link to the store http://www.goorin.com/breakingbad

Underdog07
08-01-2013, 04:29 PM
And for those questioning the appearance of these pieces, they need to be seen in person to truly appreciate how awful the Batman and Superman look

OrangeCrush
09-19-2013, 09:19 AM
http://www.alexrossart.com/rossreport.asp?id=709

What do you think

In all honesty, I think they are awful. Alex Ross is a very talented artist, to that there is no doubt. I just don't care for his style at all. I have seen most of his popular pieces and I think there are maybe 2 or 3 that I actually like. The rest just do nothing for me. Why would anyone make Superman's outfit appear that shiny? It looks like he is wearing a layer of Saran Wrap around his normal outfit. Either that or someone really bad at Photoshop used the Shrink Wrap filter on him. Oh well, to each their own. If everyone liked the same kind of art, the world would be a really boring place.

Teague
09-19-2013, 10:54 AM
I love Alex Ross' work, but seriously don't love these.