PDA

View Full Version : A couple works from SauerPauer Studio

Voshizle@gmail.
08-26-2013, 06:59 PM
Hey fellas! Now that we're up and running again I figured this would be a good time for some of us rookies on the site to add our work to the fray and do an introduction (if you feel like it).

My name is Geoff and I am an art and design student at the University of Northern Colorado. I love every form of art dearly but I've always had a soft spot for the tactile nature of sculpture. I know I'm very much a novice, but I love this forum and love trying new things I learn here. If anyone is interested I would love it if you would Like my Facebook page, let me know what you think of my art, and offer critiques on my other work. Let's all work together to keep this forum full of awesome artwork and free of BS!

The pieces I included in this post are an Orc I sculpted awhile back with no particular reference, and my take on Grendel in the pose of Michaelangelo's 'David'. The reasoning for the pose on Grendel was to have a grotesque monster mimicking the pose of human beauty.

www.facebook.com/SauerPauerStudio

growler321
08-26-2013, 07:29 PM
excellent work m8 love poses and the paint job

Voshizle@gmail.
08-26-2013, 07:44 PM
Thanks for the kind words and for taking a look

Darkeye
08-27-2013, 04:54 AM
agreed, the Orc has nice muscles and movement. Grendel is strangely disturbing. good job man. You learly are no stranger to form. keep clay slinging, it's a long walk but worth it I think.

atb --tim

CKinSD
08-27-2013, 06:52 AM
different stuff there. cool for sure. Grendal is disturbingly cool

nbr3bagshotrow
08-27-2013, 07:49 AM
I like!

EPang
08-27-2013, 12:05 PM
You've got some real talent and this is certainly the place to cultivate it.

E

Voshizle@gmail.
08-28-2013, 02:04 AM
Thank you all for the kind words!

For the Grendel piece my thoughts were to have him long limbed and gangly (as I always imagined him while reading the epic poem) but with a distended belly since he kept eating people and their livestock. Also I added the bones sticking out as reference to old injuries. He is described as immortal but not invincible, and I can't imagine the life of being a monster as one without injury.

redonix3d
08-28-2013, 03:24 AM
hey Vosh, Grendel is a great unique design! You are doing a great job man, keep it up!

You have great sense of design and really nice details in your sculpts and painting. My advice is to look more into dynamic natural poses. Though your poses work well, they both could convey more action or emotions based on the pose. You really want to tell a story with it.

For example, if Grendel is battle scared and has old injuries, his pose could be more crooked or backs and hips more bent to show that he was injured though healed wrong.

For the Orc, I feel his back could be more bent back instead of straight to show more movement and action. Just a few examples for you to think about for your future work.

Batstat73
08-28-2013, 10:22 AM
Cool pieces, thanks for sharing!:buttrock:

Like others have stated, that Grendal is quite different...in a good way.:thumbs2:

DynamicMenace
08-28-2013, 02:41 PM
nice looking sculpts.

Voshizle@gmail.
08-29-2013, 09:57 PM
Thanks for the kind words :)

redonix3D: I definitely know I need to work on dynamic poses, for now I'm just trying to get them to actually look vaguely the way I want haha. I actually started sculpting in a much smaller scale and never had to worry about armatures. These guys are my biggest pieces at ~15" for Grendel and ~22" for the Orc. The Orc was also a pain in the a$$ from an engineering standpoint for a beginner.

BarbarianFan
09-01-2013, 07:15 AM
great attention to details, can't wait to see more ;)

rockmint
09-01-2013, 09:03 AM
unique characters and interesting poses.