PDA

View Full Version : Gentle Giant Edition sizes are out, and BIG!

Cotasnoova
08-13-2005, 03:03 AM
Posted today on Gentle Giants webpage

20,000 Darth Vader mini-bust
15,000 Yodas
15,000 sandtroopers 7500 of each
5000 speeder bike statues
2500 Barris and Luminaras (clone wars)
3000 Anakins (clone wars)
3500 Greivous (clone wars)

Good god...flood the market what a waste...20,000 Darth Vaders...I am going to wait and buy mine for $10.

15,000 Yodas...wow...buying that one for $5.

Plenty of Speeder Bikes statue to go around!

Clone War stuff is most limited...too bad they upped the numbers...2500 for Luminara and Barris seems like way to much.

Gentle Giant what are you thinking???

Collection King 13
08-13-2005, 03:08 AM
WOW... Thats way too many... I should cancel my order....

Cotasnoova
08-13-2005, 03:09 AM
All my orders have been cancelled, expect 1 anakin, 1 greivous, and a few of the Jedi Gals.

Looks like I will stop collecting the mini bust unless I pick them up for 10 dollars which prolly will happen. I will stick with the Clone Wars maquettes...wish they stuck with max 2500, 1500 Jedi Gals...

Sskaaar
08-13-2005, 03:28 AM
do you guys think the bust that were release with a small production (dart vader 1, boba fett, jango fett, yoda 1, all the exclusives), will even go up in value?

Collection King 13
08-13-2005, 03:30 AM
i dont know... This may bring the value down of the original Vader and Yoda... I paid $170 for my Vader.... and I dont even have a Yoda....

Cotasnoova
08-13-2005, 03:34 AM
I think this makes Sideshow look all the more superior...

This hurts Gentle Giant...think of all the people that are locked in at retail or even a little less...they are getting screwed!

You will be able to pick these up for years and years for next to nothing.

Collection King 13
08-13-2005, 03:35 AM
I think this makes Sideshow look all the more superior...

This hurts Gentle Giant...think of all the people that are locked in at retail or even a little less...they are getting screwed!

You will be able to pick these up for years and years for next to nothing.
20,000 vaders... What a f'in joke! :banghead:

Bullseye
08-13-2005, 03:50 AM
No word on the Maul or Boba?

leks
08-13-2005, 05:19 AM
I am cancelling everything I gots on them :mad: fosu

which is not much btw

cap70
08-13-2005, 05:25 AM
Thank God I don't collect GG anymore. 20,000 Vaders??? What a joke. They might as well do an open edition next time.

thx217
08-13-2005, 06:02 AM
No matter those busts/statues limited 200-200000000. The point is they will be cheaper and way easier to get. Do you wanna to spent hundreds of dollars on a mini bust again and again? Be HAPPY guys.

mitchanator
08-13-2005, 06:41 AM
I only collect the full size statue but i think it sdtill sucks

nexus
08-13-2005, 07:18 AM
Oh well, maybe they can use the proceeds to make busts of more characters. And ifg it brings in more collectors, so much the better. On the plus side, it keeps the original core collection valuable. Might cancel a few after I see where prices are trending. Not a big deal though, only $50 to start with and the most important thing for us is getting the pieces, not worrying about the value increasing.

Bullseye
08-13-2005, 08:23 AM
I guess alot of people are collecting these to make money. I for one don't view collecting as a means to make money. I'll be picking up the pieces if they are good.

RichardW
08-13-2005, 09:19 AM
Wow, those are high edition sizes. Like Bullseye, I don't collect these to make money. I just buy the pieces I enjoy. I'm only buying the Biker Scout from that list.

Sam Wilson
08-13-2005, 10:19 AM
I guess alot of people are collecting these to make money. I for one don't view collecting as a means to make money. I'll be picking up the pieces if they are good.

agreed. I mean, it does suck that the DV is 20,000, but whatever. I'm getting it so I can have a vader. I think 5,000 for the biker scout isn't so bad either.

Emperor'sGuard
08-13-2005, 12:52 PM
I think the sizes are ok with the exception of the Vader, 20 grand seems to be overkill to me since you already have 2 versions of the first vader with a total run of ( I think) 5000 and then the full size statue that has a 7500 edtion size. I have the Bk scout on pre-order for $160 so I will keep that for now and my order for the Squad leader I will olso keep.

Gir
08-13-2005, 12:54 PM

Same here.

Some of the attitudes in this thread really irk me. Does knowing that a few more people own the same collectible as you do really lessen your enjoyment of the piece that much? Sad. That tells me that you've lost sight of the whole point of collecting these things in the first place...BECAUSE YOU LIKE THEM. To your brand of collector, I say GOOD RIDDANCE. I hope GG feels the same way.

galactus
08-13-2005, 01:04 PM
The only reason that these larger edition sizes might be bad is if stores get stuck with so much that they discontinue ordering of future pieces. This obviously hurts GG and their continuing the product line.
However, as some people have said, I think its cool that GG is actually producing enough so that everyone that wants one can get one. I could care less if there are 200 or 200,000, so long as I can get one at a reasonable price (retail or less). If I was so worried about the future value of these items, I wouldn't buy any of them to begin with.

Cotasnoova
08-13-2005, 01:04 PM
Same here.

Some of the attitudes in this thread really irk me. Does knowing that a few more people own the same collectible as you do really lessen your enjoyment of the piece that much? Sad. That tells me that you've lost sight of the whole point of collecting these things in the first place...BECAUSE YOU LIKE THEM. To your brand of collector, I say GOOD RIDDANCE. I hope GG feels the same way.

If you dont understand what we are talking about here, try not to post.
If you havent seen first hand what these kinds of large limited edition runs do to a company and a collectable, try not to post.

vaderlover
08-13-2005, 01:36 PM
Posted today on Gentle Giants webpage

20,000 Darth Vader mini-bust
15,000 Yodas
15,000 sandtroopers 7500 of each
5000 speeder bike statues
2500 Barris and Luminaras (clone wars)
3000 Anakins (clone wars)
3500 Greivous (clone wars)

Good god...flood the market what a waste...20,000 Darth Vaders...I am going to wait and buy mine for $10.

15,000 Yodas...wow...buying that one for $5.

Plenty of Speeder Bikes statue to go around!

Clone War stuff is most limited...too bad they upped the numbers...2500 for Luminara and Barris seems like way to much.

Gentle Giant what are you thinking???
yes,it will be hurt the GG future products,when collectors know that it's 20000 vader in the market,they will not buy it first,and waiting for the discount price,the retail price will be drop very soon,so, a lot of people never want to pay retail/higher price on any GG products,you can easy to see that,when all of above products released,all will not be sold out in the market over years(that means you can easy to find a vader 2 mini bust below retail price after 1-3 years.......),i think most of shop owners will be cut thier future order after this wave.....it's not good for GG products,so,i think GG need to know : if they want to make a collectible item/limited edition for collectors,they must be very careful on this point! :buttrock: :buttrock: :buttrock:

Viking28
08-13-2005, 03:18 PM
If you havent seen first hand what these kinds of large limited edition runs do to a company and a collectable, try not to post.

Its funny people never believe you when you tell them this and the response is always the same "You only care about the value, your not a true collector".

Large edition size collectables hurts a company esp if they concider themselfs to be a collectable company. Weve seen it so many times in the past and esp with comics the larger the edition size the more it hurts them in the end.

To me I like getting limited edition stuff, I might like something that has a edition size of 20000 but I would much rather spend it on something that is rarer.

Viking28
08-13-2005, 03:19 PM
O yea at least we know why there hasnt been anything new when you have to make 63,500 pieces.

Bullseye
08-13-2005, 03:35 PM
O yea at least we know why there hasnt been anything new when you have to make 63,500 pieces.

:laugh: They'll be shipping those for a couple of years. I agree 20,000 is very high. But SS are releasing 10,000 Saurons (a 2 foot tall statue) now that doesn't make sense.

The General
08-13-2005, 04:02 PM
I don't see the big deal. They make too little then people complain they don't get one, they make too many people complain about value. I hear most people on here always saying they don't buy for investment reasons so what's the problem. I still want the Vader bust, I could care less if it's a 50,000 run.

Bullseye
08-13-2005, 04:10 PM
I don't see the big deal. They make too little then people complain they don't get one, they make too many people complain about value. I hear most people on here always saying they don't buy for investment reasons so what's the problem. I still want the Vader bust, I could care less if it's a 50,000 run.

How does that effect your flipping. :laugh:

MONSTER
08-13-2005, 05:02 PM
Those edition sizes are nuts!!! I am sure many retailers will be canceling their orders fearing they will get stuck with this stuff otherwise.

Gir
08-13-2005, 05:39 PM
If you dont understand what we are talking about here, try not to post.

All my orders have been cancelled, expect 1 anakin, 1 greivous, and a few of the Jedi Gals.

Looks like I will stop collecting the mini bust unless I pick them up for 10 dollars which prolly will happen. I will stick with the Clone Wars maquettes...wish they stuck with max 2500, 1500 Jedi Gals...

So you're probably going to stop collecting Star Wars mini-busts because you're concerned about the future of the line and the future of Gentle Giant as a company? That makes no sense whatsoever. If you stop collecting the mini-busts, you will be hurting the line, Gentle Giant, and YOURSELF. Given that you had the upcoming mini busts on order, most LOGICAL people would assume that you ACTUALLY LIKE THEM. Why deprive yourself of pieces you like? Because the future of the line and Gentle Giant is uncertain? The future is always uncertain. Ever hear of a self-fulfilling prophecy? If everyone stops collecting Star Wars mini-busts because they THINK the line will fail, then it WILL FAIL. The entire economy can fall victim to this kind of thinking.

By the way, I'll post as I please.

Viking28
08-13-2005, 05:43 PM
But SS are releasing 10,000 Saurons (a 2 foot tall statue) now that doesn't make sense.

I actually think that helped Sauron in the way that it kept the price down (the more you make of something the cheaper it costs). If they would of gave him a 4,000 edition size I can see that we would of ended up paying $500 for him. Because of the sheer size and the detail.

But for me I like the lower edition size it adds a little more to the piece, things in life change you might have to sell one or two. So its nice to know at least you will get back what you put in.

You got to enjoy what you get and if it doesnt bother you that there are 28,999 other pieces of the piece you just paid $50 for. That is awesome.
Me I just like a little more bang for my buck.

wolverinejedi007
08-13-2005, 06:25 PM
I would cancel my orders but i cant remember who I placed the order with ...

qcjoe
08-13-2005, 06:59 PM
Dang Im glad I didnt order the speederbike cause I can easily wait for ebay.

Super Serg
08-13-2005, 07:06 PM
Hello all (lurker finally chiming in),

Did anyone stop to think that maybe GG was forced to make the Vader edition size
that large because there was such a demand from retailers & customers alike?

Also, you all speak as though GG's a backyard / garage Co that's just gotten lucky
with their success... Maybe though, just maybe... they have a market analysis Co
that helps them deterime what they can & can't do. I was fortunate enough to get
a tour of their studio & I can state as a fact that the place was a well oiled machine.

& finally, I'm pretty sure no one wants GG to fail... ESPECIALLY GG themselves.
;)

*ss*

Viking28
08-13-2005, 07:52 PM
Forced? Money was most likely the factor for making that choice, there has been a lot of big name companies that over judged the demand for their product. It happens. I dont see this any different.
But like I stated on the Freaks board it would of made the difference if they would of lowered the price since they are making so many. With a edition size of 20,000 I would say a retail of $22 would of been fair, plus then the dealers arent left trying to push these for 40-50 when local stores will more than likely will have them on clearence at some point.
As far being a well oiled machine, well hmmmm ahhhh better Customer Service would be nice.

Sniper
08-13-2005, 08:23 PM
:rolleyes2 :eplus2: make to few people b!tch make too many people B!tch :rolleyes2 :eplus2:

Mini-Rock
08-13-2005, 08:25 PM
Hello all (lurker finally chiming in),

Did anyone stop to think that maybe GG was forced to make the Vader edition size
that large because there was such a demand from retailers & customers alike?

Also, you all speak as though GG's a backyard / garage Co that's just gotten lucky
with their success... Maybe though, just maybe... they have a market analysis Co
that helps them deterime what they can & can't do. I was fortunate enough to get
a tour of their studio & I can state as a fact that the place was a well oiled machine.

& finally, I'm pretty sure no one wants GG to fail... ESPECIALLY GG themselves.
;)

*ss*

Welcome SS. :)

There's no right or wrong here. Everyone collect's for different reasons. Some collect because of the limited nature of the product; some collect with the hope that the pieces they buy go up in value; and, some collect simply just to have the piece. And, there are many other reasons I'm sure. Bottom line is, everyone has their own reason for collecting, and they have their right for that reason.

For those that collect only for the limited nature of a product, to me, the solution is simple. If you have a production cap at which you don't like seeing a collectible go past, then simply pass on it. :)

Viking28
08-13-2005, 08:41 PM
Mini Rock :buttrock:

Emperor'sGuard
08-13-2005, 09:07 PM
I have a feeling that if this huge jump in edtion sizes allows more people to get turned on to the SW mini- busts it will only enhance the value of the first smaller edtion pieces since you will have some new completists join the fold. Get the older busts while you can.

Viking28
08-13-2005, 09:09 PM
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y43/-marhari-/MoreCowbell.jpg

Super Serg
08-13-2005, 09:29 PM
Right on the money M-R

& here ya go viking...
http://ianwzxr.tripod.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/cowbell_avatar.gif

:buttrock:

*ss*
;)

Viking28
08-13-2005, 09:31 PM
:laugh: :buttrock:

qcjoe
08-13-2005, 09:52 PM
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y43/-marhari-/MoreCowbell.jpg
Thats some funny **** right there! :buttrock:

Mini-Rock
08-13-2005, 10:16 PM
LMAO! You guys almost made me spit-up my coffee. :D

The General
08-13-2005, 10:21 PM
How does that effect your flipping. :laugh:
:eplus2:

Mini-Rock
08-13-2005, 10:29 PM
Good GOD! I never get tired of looking at the pic in your sig TG.

mwf6171
08-13-2005, 10:48 PM
Right on the money M-R

& here ya go viking...
http://ianwzxr.tripod.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/cowbell_avatar.gif

*ss*
;)
:laugh: :laugh:

Hellboy
08-13-2005, 11:31 PM
These increased edition sizes don't really bother me. I collect the things I like and if they end up being worth more than what I paid for them in the long run then thats a bonus in my eyes. I rarely part with my purchases anyway so an increase in the piece's value means next to nothing to me.

IMO I think this move by GG is long overdue. Most of their earlier work, especially their Mini Busts, go for outrageous prices on the secondary market. Sure thats great for the guy who bought a whole case with the intention of flipping most of them but for the average collector it sucks because many of these pieces become extremely hard to obtain at a resonable price.

I think the arguement regarding retailers getting stuck with to much product is ridiculous. It's called inventory control, just because GG makes 20,000 Vader Mini Busts doesn't mean a retailer is forced to order more. Sure they might not fly off the shelves like they would if they went with the 3,500 mark of the original Vader but in the long run both retailers and GG stand to make more money as the line's popularity grows. This in turn could mean more product in general and possibly even a quicker development process. Then everyone who loves to complain about how long GG takes to get their produts to the consumer will have to find something else to complain about. :p

Gianco
08-14-2005, 02:37 AM
Bring'em all! :buttrock:

c3po
08-14-2005, 04:54 AM
I think GG is making a big mistake here. The large sizes will turn people away from future products released by them. Bad planning.

I cant bear to think what sizes the Darth Maul and Taun Taun will be like. Ridiculous.

I collect because it is exclusive. If I want mass produced products I will go for Hasbro, Mattell, Toybiz, Neca, etc.

GG should quickly rectify the situation by saying it was a mistake. Sideshow has done a good job so far and understands the market and collectors better. IT WILL BE DOWNHILL FOR GG IF THIS IS NOT RECTIFIED. I FORSEE THEIR FUTURE.

Gir
08-14-2005, 10:27 AM
GG's products are and always have been mass-produced. They're made in a factory somewhere in Asia. I guess it's just easier for you to deny that fact when GG is only making 2500 of something.

darth_thorpe
08-14-2005, 11:34 AM
ah dam GG, this is a prob cause i work in a retilers that sells this stuff and we ordered these cause we didnt get some of the early busts of sw and what the **** are we going to do with all of these cause no one will buy them cause of the ed no's are too high i can understand if the vaders were 10,000 but 20,000 :inquisiti we are going to be lumbered with them

Zurbaran1
08-14-2005, 11:38 AM
GG's products are and always have been mass-produced. They're made in a factory somewhere in Asia. I guess it's just easier for you to deny that fact when GG is only making 2500 of something.

Uh, I think everybody's product is made in a factory somewhere in Asia (China). :)

galactus
08-14-2005, 11:43 AM
I think the arguement regarding retailers getting stuck with to much product is ridiculous. It's called inventory control, just because GG makes 20,000 Vader Mini Busts doesn't mean a retailer is forced to order more. Sure they might not fly off the shelves like they would if they went with the 3,500 mark of the original Vader but in the long run both retailers and GG stand to make more money as the line's popularity grows. This in turn could mean more product in general and possibly even a quicker development process. Then everyone who loves to complain about how long GG takes to get their produts to the consumer will have to find something else to complain about. :p

Darth_Thorpe's post pretty much sums up why retailers are going to be in trouble with this one. We have to order product a minimum of 2 months before it comes out, WITHOUT knowing the production runs (hence, your inventory control argument is out the window). Due to past experience, and allocations, most stores (including mine) ordered well more than we would have since we expected to possibly get about half our order. Since the runs are now in the 10s of thousands, chances are we are going to get the amount we ordered. Now, I don't know about you, but most stores don't have $1,000s to lock into product which we hope will eventually sell out over the next 10 years. This being the case, most retailers will sell the pieces at a reduced rate to recoup their money (a modified form of your inventory control). So, GG made their money, but I didn't. So, next time I order something, I am going to order what I actually want, not some inflated amount figuring in allocations. It stands to reason that EVERY retailer will order what they actually want, and suddenly the orders for GG stuff are cut by 30% - 50%. This means GG has tons of stuff sitting in their warehouses, doesn't make money, and either has to reduce their production runs (to where they should have been), or has to close up shop as the line is no longer financially feasible.

Bullseye
08-14-2005, 11:45 AM
Flippers have the same problem. They hope for low numbers so they can make a profit on ebay. I can understand the problems for retailers though. People are going to have to be creative in their selling of this bust.

ol'canuckle
08-14-2005, 12:28 PM
I think that there are alot of star war fans out there and GG has had big runs on their bust for a while now Han was 8000 and 10000 stormtroopers. I see it as a possitive with Vader and Yoda #'s. Yeah Ebay won't rocket at first with these but in the long run more people brought into the line will mean more pieces in general. Kinda like Bowen and them doing reculpts of pieces from phase 1. In the end they have to draw more new people into the market and what easier way than to offer a big char. like vader at the start. Seeing it from a world wide perpective 20000 isn't that big of a #

roguetrader
08-14-2005, 12:52 PM
I think the amount of armchair financial business experts on this topic is amusing. I highly doubt gg decided to produce 20,000 Vader busts on a whim without considering how it will impact the company.

And if one mini bust can bury an entire company, well, gg was going to fall soon anyway.

I'm not saying these numbers aren't large. But I see these 2 mini busts (Yoda and Vader) as potentially the biggest sellers. The stormie did quite well at 10,000 and I think there's much more demand for Vader and Yoda.

If retailers are left with a ton in stock, I think it'd be moronic to stop carrying GG simply based on these 2 products especially based on how well they've sold in the past.

Retailers only have to order roughly as much as they think they can sell.

GG will be just fine.

As for me, I've been collecting these busts since the absolute beginning. Many of mine are worth quite a bit but I didn't buy them for that reason. I bought them because they're great. GG can make however many they want. As long as I get mine, I don't care.

Sam Wilson
08-14-2005, 01:42 PM
I like pie, pie is fantastic. Expeciallly hostess fruit pies. Hostess fruit are not limited in scope, I go to a 7/11, and there they sit.

Cotasnoova
08-14-2005, 02:08 PM
I think the amount of armchair financial business experts on this topic is amusing. I highly doubt gg decided to produce 20,000 Vader busts on a whim without considering how it will impact the company.

And if one mini bust can bury an entire company, well, gg was going to fall soon anyway.

I'm not saying these numbers aren't large. But I see these 2 mini busts (Yoda and Vader) as potentially the biggest sellers. The stormie did quite well at 10,000 and I think there's much more demand for Vader and Yoda.

If retailers are left with a ton in stock, I think it'd be moronic to stop carrying GG simply based on these 2 products especially based on how well they've sold in the past.

Retailers only have to order roughly as much as they think they can sell.

GG will be just fine.

As for me, I've been collecting these busts since the absolute beginning. Many of mine are worth quite a bit but I didn't buy them for that reason. I bought them because they're great. GG can make however many they want. As long as I get mine, I don't care.

You sound like such a big GG supporter...I am sure you will pay full retail price.

roguetrader
08-14-2005, 02:33 PM
You sound like such a big GG supporter...I am sure you will pay full retail price.

Very astute. I am a GG suporter. Their products are great.

Oh, that's right. We're living in the age of cynicism where you can't say something good unless you balance it with something bad.

:puke2:

But no, I won't pay full retail price. Why would anyone? I usually buy from retailers that have great deals.

You sound like a big GG complainer. Did a mini bust kill your dog? No, seriously. The Gamorrean guard weighs a ton. One fall from a high shelf could kill a smaller animal. It's a real metal vibro-axe, ya know. Pointy.

Mini-Rock
08-14-2005, 04:15 PM

Collector's have made similar comments about GG being ruined because they were making too many exclusives, or they were going to lose many new customers for their unwillingness to remake earlier busts. Collector's fail to understand where GG acutally makes the bulk of their money.

You sound like a big GG complainer.

In his defense, he's also a big MR complainer too. ;) :D

BTW, welcome RT. :)

Hellboy
08-14-2005, 04:58 PM
Darth_Thorpe's post pretty much sums up why retailers are going to be in trouble with this one. We have to order product a minimum of 2 months before it comes out, WITHOUT knowing the production runs (hence, your inventory control argument is out the window). Due to past experience, and allocations, most stores (including mine) ordered well more than we would have since we expected to possibly get about half our order. Since the runs are now in the 10s of thousands, chances are we are going to get the amount we ordered. Now, I don't know about you, but most stores don't have $1,000s to lock into product which we hope will eventually sell out over the next 10 years.

I understand your point concerning this piece and it does suck that you'll get more than you actually wanted because of having to place orders without knowing the production run first but do you really think that it won't sell well? Its not like we're talking about a $100+ statue here it's a $50 Mini Bust of the most notable character in the SW universe. I just don't see these sitting on shelves forever even at this high # but who knows I could be wrong.

My "inventory control" comment was aimed more at future orders I just used Vader's #'s as an example and I didn't make that as clear as I should have in my statement. Since it would seem GG has raised their production runs accross the board my feeling is that this move makes it easier for retailers to place an order closer to the actual # you'd like knowing that the supply will be closer to meeting actual demand.

boondocksaint
08-14-2005, 05:06 PM
hey drew now i dont want mine :eplus2:

carrillj
08-14-2005, 05:27 PM
I think 20,000 Vaders is way too many to even consider these limited. From a collectors point of view, I desire not only a great statue, but I also find the future investment equally important and appealing as the sculpt itself.

I think these busts and statues will be collecting dust on some store shelves, because it won't take long for people to figure out that they can easily be found for discount through other outlets. I already know a reliable source to get these for $30 a piece.

Now is GG making a mistake here? Of course not, because they will sell every single statue and make a killing in profits. I just think us collectors are getting a raw deal with these high edition numbers and multiple variations of the same sculpt, but that's a different story.

Gianco
08-14-2005, 06:04 PM
I'm keeping my original pre-orders and cancel the "additional" pre-orders to get'em later for less, maybe at e-bay or in holydays sales. I want some extra sandtroopers just to display them in different poses and one extra for Vader and Yoda. I'm also keeping my pre-orders for the two Biker Scout and Speeder Bike statue just because I love that piece and pre-ordered them for a very good price.

My opinion is an edition size of 20.000 for Vader and 15.000 for Yoda are way too big. Gentle Giants criterion is a little bit incongruous, they made an exclusive like the blue clonetrooper bust for 1.000 pieces that can easily hit $400-$500 at secondary market and now they just release a 20.000 pieces series of Vader bust to spread it like the flu virus. I would like more consistency in their marketing policies. Of course, that's just my opinion, I'm nothing but a CUSTOMER

kirthew
08-14-2005, 06:44 PM
I think this is what happened... People ordered through Diamond and Preorders for both busts... over ordering thinking that they will be allocated like they were on pieces like the Stormtroopers, and Boba Fett... and Gentle Giant said... "Hey... look at that.. we have 19,760 orders... lets make 20,000" I think that is what happened... now maybe I am wrong...

By the way... Diamond Select did this with the Ultimate Line... released 10,000 of each bust... and look how well they did... and look how well they are doing as a company... I see it as being greedy on Gentle Giant's part... and seeing these mini busts being around 20 to 25 dollars for a long long time

Just my 2 cent,
Kirthew

KEFLON
08-14-2005, 06:51 PM
just a little cost comparission for u guys in the uk we pay £36.99 per bust which is close to $70 where you pay $50 for each bust!

Viking28
08-14-2005, 07:00 PM
just a little cost comparission for u guys in the uk we pay £36.99 per bust which is close to $70 where you pay $50 for each bust!

Sounds like a personal problem. :laugh:

JUST KIDDING!!!JOKING!!!!

Now were is my popcorn.

Crom
08-14-2005, 07:22 PM
A someone who isn't a GG Star Wars collector, I'm not sure what to make of this. I want the Darth Vader mini-bust, but that is about it. There is no way I am going to pay the incredible prices for the originals. However, I think the Star Wars fans might number just enough to make 20,000 not seem like that many. How many people are like me, just looking for a Darth Vader or Yoda for their desk or as a gift?

I could be completely off here, but I think we get so caught up in the usually small production runs of comics and other pop culture items, that we forget that Star Wars has been around for 30 years. It will soon have both a cartoon and a live-action show to keep creating new fans. It is a world-wide phenomenon which has stood the test of time.

Gir
08-14-2005, 07:30 PM
IBy the way... Diamond Select did this with the Ultimate Line... released 10,000 of each bust... and look how well they did... and look how well they are doing as a company... I see it as being greedy on Gentle Giant's part... and seeing these mini busts being around 20 to 25 dollars for a long long time

Just my 2 cent,
Kirthew

How is DS doing? I'm seriously wondering. I know their Buffy figures do fairly well, but I don't collect many comic-related items. I only own a few Spider-man pieces.

Viking28
08-14-2005, 07:31 PM
You guys are in luck I'm going to cancel my Vader and Yoda bust, so you might be lucky to get mine. :buttrock:
(but just to clarify I will pick them up later for cheaper, I like them but just not going to pay full price for them is all)
Use the money instead to pick up two bowen busts or for the next Sideshow 1/4.

Im keeping the Sandtroopers and most likely the Speederbike statue so I cant help you there.

galactus
08-14-2005, 08:03 PM
I don't think that the production runs on Clones, Stormtroopers or Sandtroopers can be compared to other pieces. Many people want 2 or more of the troopers for their displays, so "overproduction" on those pieces isn't such a big problem.

kirthew
08-14-2005, 09:50 PM
How is DS doing? I'm seriously wondering. I know their Buffy figures do fairly well, but I don't collect many comic-related items. I only own a few Spider-man pieces.

I personally do not collect Diamond Select Toys... they are hit and miss in the statue department... Their Thanos Full Size was a home run... Some of their busts are home runs as well... but the majority of their product is very spotty... I see their stuff and I just want to turn around and bolt... The best thing I have seen lately is the Moon Knight Bust... which just caught my eye... I dont know... I dont think that they are that big of a threat to Bowen when it comes down to bang for the buck... And with Sideshow entering the Marvel universe... they become 3rd place in my opinion.

Kirthew

spider-man
08-14-2005, 11:31 PM
This is just plain bad news. I really don't know what GG was thinking on this, they could have made 10,000 vaders and it would have been ok but 20,000?! these will in fact be turning up on ebay for under $30 very soon after they are released. I like many other here collect for two reasons, 1. it's a great piece and 2. it's value or collectibility. how many people would find the mona lisa so interesting if there were 20,000 originals. Hmmmmm.......makes you think about it differently now dosen't it.

3D Figure
08-15-2005, 12:19 AM
Guys, come on 20,000 is nothing in the world of Darth Vader, think of it like this 3 to 5 thousand will easily sell to collectors, another 10k will go to Best Buy, Walmart Target and sell without a problem. the other 5 or more will go overseas Japan, other Asian Contries and then over to Europe. I see them selling 20K very easily.

Iacon13
08-15-2005, 01:01 AM
I see the value of making this many since they will sell and GG will do well on the sales, however, in the long term this hurts their business. If its a guessing game every time on production run as wether or not to order I am going to opt to wait and potentially miss a good piece. There is to much competition to worry about GG's production runs. They are simply turning off the statue collectors in favor of mass production. This is a bad move because when the SW hype is over all they have left is loyal statue fans and we are at best a fickle bunch. Seriously who wants a statue with a 20K run on it? Part of the fun of collecting this stuff is the rarity of some pieces. I am not suggesting they don't meet demand but 20 K is way to much. If thats what they want they should just start making action figures and be done with it.

c3po
08-15-2005, 01:47 AM
No doubt there are millions of SW fans but most I believe do not buy collectibles/props OR for that matter a top-half of a character which is small and could pass off as an overpriced China-made paper weight.

The reason why collectibles are so sought after is bcoz of their exclusiveness. If not for it, I could care less about them. Knowing that there are 20,000 of vaders, people would hold off or completely avoid buying it completely and move on to other worthwhile items. This is going to be a bad stigma for GG knowing that they will pull an irrational stunt like this on the collectible community.

I am not only complaining abt the Vader but the Yoda, Sandtrooper and Biker Scout. GG's reputation as a worthy collectible company has been seriosly tarnished.

Mini-Rock
08-15-2005, 02:44 AM
I am not only complaining abt the Vader but the Yoda, Sandtrooper and Biker Scout. GG's reputation as a worthy collectible company has been seriosly tarnished.

Heh, I've heard other's make the same vacuous allegation regarding MR too many times to count; yet, they are selling more product, and are more popular than ever before. GG will do fine as well, and collector's around the world will still buy their product. For the collector who buys solely for the limited nature of the product though, GG may no longer be for you. :)

Skulpturen
08-15-2005, 03:32 AM
:laugh: They'll be shipping those for a couple of years. I agree 20,000 is very high. But SS are releasing 10,000 Saurons (a 2 foot tall statue) now that doesn't make sense.

Yes, same opinion. I wonder how long these Saurons will stay at retail (or lower).

c3po
08-15-2005, 10:28 AM
Mini-Rock, sorry to tell you I wasnt among the many who made the comments about MR. Anyways, I dont remember MR having limited editions of 10,000 and above? Lets compare apples with apples not apples with chickens! :)

DDura711
08-15-2005, 10:32 AM
Mini-Rock, sorry to tell you I wasnt among the many who made the comments about MR. Anyways, I dont remember MR having limited editions of 10,000 and above? Lets compare apples with apples not apples with chickens! :)
Mmmm Apples & Chicken.
But I gotta agree with c3po on this one, I really think that 10,000 pieces is insane. Hell 7,500 on the Clone Wars Yoda alone. Starting to get a little nuts with the production numbers here.
And if they are making & selling that many pieces don't they have the money to create NEW items insted of chroming the old.

Just_joseph
08-15-2005, 10:35 AM
I believe over production on BUSTS AND STATUES hurt the item. Whose the marketing person for this comapny? I never pre-ordred any of these. Glad I no longer own any GG busts but 3.

Collection King 13
08-15-2005, 10:35 AM
This Vader and Yoda run will be easy to pick up for at least the next 50 years!

Just_joseph
08-15-2005, 10:38 AM
Hey .................... I'll be 80 years old by then.

Collection King 13
08-15-2005, 10:40 AM
At least you know you can still pick up Vader 2 bust for retail....

Just_joseph
08-15-2005, 10:41 AM
How old will Zurb be?

Collection King 13
08-15-2005, 10:59 AM
2050.... :eplus2:

DDura711
08-15-2005, 11:12 AM
I believe over production on BUSTS AND STATUES hurt the item. Whose the marketing person for this comapny? I never pre-ordred any of these. Glad I no longer own any GG busts but 3.
Dude your totally right. I mean I want these busts. BUT..... now I know I don't have to worry about getting them. You bailed the GG line at a good time man.

Gir
08-15-2005, 12:04 PM
You bailed the GG line at a good time man.

Not really. There are tons of must-have pieces that remain to be made.

The Emperor
Darth Maul
Jedi Luke
Ben Kenobi
R2
Chewbacca
Princess Leia
Slave Leia
Battle-Damaged Vader

And that's just off the top of my head. I'm willing to bet that most of the people whining and crying in this thread will pick up these pieces if/when they are released.

Just_joseph
08-15-2005, 12:06 PM
Nice list but who knows if they'll ever be made during this decade (till 2010).

Collection King 13
08-15-2005, 12:11 PM

The Emperor
Darth Maul
Jedi Luke
Ben Kenobi
R2
Chewbacca
Princess Leia
Slave Leia
Battle-Damaged Vader

And that's just off the top of my head. I'm willing to bet that most of the people whining and crying in this thread will pick up these pieces if/when they are released.

Hey what about Wicket? Royal Guards? Jaba The Hut?

Viking28
08-15-2005, 12:42 PM
I'm willing to bet that most of the people whining and crying in this thread will pick up these pieces if/when they are released.

Whose whinning and crying? Just see people stating they dont like high edition runs and their reasons why.

"Saurons will stay at retail (or lower)."

Yea they will stay there more than likely for a long long long time. The edition size plays a 99% in that and the damage factor when shipping them also.

Collection King 13
08-15-2005, 12:45 PM
Whose whinning and crying? Just see people stating they dont like high edition runs and their reasons why.
Exactly...

Gir
08-15-2005, 01:37 PM
OK, just whining... :eplus2:

Gir
08-15-2005, 02:33 PM
Most of these reasons that aren't personal (ie they affect everyone collecting this line) are weak...nothing more than speculation and exaggeration at this point. The rest of the reasons are personal ones, which I don't care about.

kirthew
08-15-2005, 03:01 PM
Most of these reasons that aren't personal (ie they affect everyone collecting this line) are weak...nothing more than speculation and exaggeration at this point. The rest of the reasons are personal ones, which I don't care about.

This hobby is full of speculation... And personally.. I will still get the Vader bust... but I will be paying 20.00 on ebay instead of buying it for 45.00 dollars at my LCS because there are 20,000 of them out there... and that will hurt my LCS who in the future will lower his order on Gentle Giant product... Why do you think the DC Mini Bust line died... Over produced... Why do you think that the Ultimate Mini Bust line died... Over produced... The only Mini bust line that is going strong is Bowen's because he limits production on all characters... I think that a good edition size for the Vader would have been 10,000. Look at the Boba Fett... 7500 and these are going to up to 200.00 on ebay... but the market is going to be flooded with 20,000 vaders... in this market that is an astronomical release... Open your eyes and see that... pick up a few of your statues and look at the edition size...

Kirthew

Mini-Rock
08-15-2005, 03:05 PM

You don't have to be sorry, and the GG and MR comparison is legitimate (regardless of production numbers and whether or not you made any comments) since the point of the post was that the same empty-headed comments have been made about MR many times by collector's; yet, they are still going strong. I'm sure we will see more comments beneath notice here, but, in the end, GG will still be hunky-dory with reputation uninjured. ;)

Again, for those who collect solely for the limited nature of the product, and feel GG no longer offers that, it may be time to move on. :)

Comicboy
08-15-2005, 03:23 PM
You guys are forgetting something... they will probably have to go back into production with these anyway. They have to make the chrome versions yet. :eplus2:

DDura711
08-15-2005, 03:29 PM

The Emperor
Darth Maul
Jedi Luke
Ben Kenobi
R2
Chewbacca
Princess Leia
Slave Leia
Battle-Damaged Vader

I'm talking for profit. He bailed out at almost the highest point in value for some of those pieces. Cash in pocket. I doubt he would have made as much as he did if he held onto them another year from now.

Gir
08-15-2005, 04:45 PM
I'm talking for profit. He bailed out at almost the highest point in value for some of those pieces. Cash in pocket. I doubt he would have made as much as he did if he held onto them another year from now.

Star Wars mini-bust flippers may just become a dying breed...I weep for them http://img321.imageshack.us/img321/6229/cry6cu.gif

Viking28
08-15-2005, 04:53 PM
http://itpro.no/images/upload/lordagssnacks-stewie.jpg

Super Serg
08-15-2005, 05:18 PM
Hey Viking,
What's up with all the Stewie pics?

I could guess many different things you're trying to imply...
but it'd probably be better if you just clued us all in.
;)

*ss*

boondocksaint
08-15-2005, 05:21 PM
This hobby is full of speculation... And personally.. I will still get the Vader bust... but I will be paying 20.00 on ebay instead of buying it for 45.00 dollars at my LCS because there are 20,000 of them out there... and that will hurt my LCS who in the future will lower his order on Gentle Giant product... Why do you think the DC Mini Bust line died... Over produced... Why do you think that the Ultimate Mini Bust line died... Over produced... The only Mini bust line that is going strong is Bowen's because he limits production on all characters... I think that a good edition size for the Vader would have been 10,000. Look at the Boba Fett... 7500 and these are going to up to 200.00 on ebay... but the market is going to be flooded with 20,000 vaders... in this market that is an astronomical release... Open your eyes and see that... pick up a few of your statues and look at the edition size...

Kirthew

i doubt you will get it for $20 :peoples:

Mini-Rock
08-15-2005, 05:40 PM
http://itpro.no/images/upload/lordagssnacks-stewie.jpg

Victory is mine! LOL!

Viking28
08-15-2005, 07:58 PM
I could guess many different things you're trying to imply...

Imbecile! Freeze it, then cut it, and if you question me again I’ll put you on diaper detail and I promise I won’t make it easy for you.

kirthew
08-15-2005, 08:54 PM
i doubt you will get it for $20 :peoples:

I dont... not with 20000 of them out there...

Kirthew

boondocksaint
08-15-2005, 08:56 PM
I dont... not with 20000 of them out there...

Kirthew

id like to bet on that one....

Viking28
08-15-2005, 11:46 PM
$20 +$6-8 bucks shipping.

c3po
08-16-2005, 02:08 AM
Well there you go again, comparing apples and chicken. Legitimate and empty headed?! Only according to you.

Oops, let me just move my foot away from your valuable GG collection.

Mini-Rock
08-16-2005, 03:29 AM
Well there you go again, comparing apples and chicken. Legitimate and empty headed?! Only according to you.

Oops, let me just move my foot away from your valuable GG collection.

WOW! What a strikingly witless post. Ease up there chuckles and try to have a little fun. ;) :)

c3po
08-16-2005, 06:24 AM
Aren't you a hypocrit?! It looks like you need some sunshine in your life, not me. Calling names and all. Your smileys does not shade you from your obvious bitterness.

Mini-Rock
08-16-2005, 07:17 AM
Aren't you a hypocrit(e)?! It looks like you need some sunshine in your life, not me. Calling names and all. Your smileys does (do) not shade you from your obvious bitterness.

Actually, I was being facetious. I don't know man; you're probably right. I do get a bit irritated with all the incorrect spelling and poor grammar. ;) :D

c3po
08-16-2005, 10:01 AM
You might as well change your call sign to "Typo-Corrector". :laugh:

DDura711
08-16-2005, 10:35 AM
CAT FIGHT!!!!!!
:laugh:

Ia Zista Zass
08-16-2005, 10:55 AM

The Emperor
Darth Maul
Jedi Luke
Ben Kenobi
R2
Chewbacca
Princess Leia
Slave Leia
Battle-Damaged Vader

Tusken
Jawa
Wickett
Tie Fighter Pilot
At-At Driver
Snowtrooper
Wedge Antilles (!!!!)
Royal guards
Bespin Lando
Bespin Luke
Zuckuss
4Lom
Dengar
Hoth Luke
Hoth Han
Hoth Leia
Mon Mothma (!!!!)
etc....

Oh and GG...I'm sure getting a licensing agreement to produce Mothma's NOT going to be difficult.....

kirthew
08-16-2005, 12:25 PM
id like to bet on that one....

Two C3PO busts from June, with an edition size of 8000. Now you might ask yourself... why is he using C3PO... Well because he is a major character that is in all 6 movies... He is a getting a variant for some stupid reason.. and this proves my point that when you over produce these are the results you get:

Gentle Giant C-3PO "Star Wars": mini-bust 6538702703 $13.50
Gentle Giant C-3PO "Star Wars": mini-bust 6540904637 $22.50

Enjoy,
Kirthew

silverageguy
08-16-2005, 01:03 PM
Well, this is an interesting development.
I have both Vader 1 and Yoda 1 already which I got for retail when they were first released.
When GG announced Vader 2 and Yoda 2, I was pissed because I would rather have new characters. So I wasn't going to buy them.

Now, at $25 bucks each (which is what they will be), I probably pick up a copy.

So, the joke's on me.
Or is it on GG?
Or is it on ______ ?

http://statueforum.com/images/smilies/laugh.gif

Gir
08-16-2005, 01:06 PM
On eBay I've seen pre-orders for busts by Gentle Giant in collaboration with Diamond Select that only cost $24.95 Buy-It-Now. What does that tell me? It tells me that retailers don't pay much for these busts. So...it's not that big of a deal if Vader goes for somewhat less than suggested retail, especially if the retailers move a greater quantity of busts when compared to other characters.

Mini-Rock
08-16-2005, 01:58 PM
You might as well change your call sign to "Typo-Corrector". :laugh:

Don't you mean, "Yous miyt as well changes your call sine to "Tiepo-Corektour". :laugh: :laugh:

Regarding the price drops on some GG's bust's, I remember many that could be had for under $25 at one time, and now they fetch a much higher price. The Obi-Wan bust comes to mind. Lower prices are to be expected when the market is flooded.

Viking28
08-16-2005, 04:00 PM
So what if some people like lower edition sizes? Sheesh, they stated the reason why they dont like it.
Im not reading anybody saying "your buying this with a edition size of 20,000 what a tool"
I think its a mistake it being that big (but I also like lower sizes) but Im going to pick it up cheap at some point so I guess thats good right?

And I'll be able to find these at Suncoast and other places for way cheap and be able to at the same time pick one that has a good paint job. With that many there will most likely be paint issues.

Hell if I ever decide I dont want it, it can make a nice paper weight or target practice with.
The flood for Vader and Yoda will last longer than any other flood, o well.

O sarg the Stewi pics were more because I was bored :laugh:
http://milkbone69.homestead.com/files/stewie.gif

Mini-Rock
08-16-2005, 08:11 PM
So what if some people like lower edition sizes?

I sure do. That was one reason I stopped collecting the GG busts. The numbers were going up too much, and there were too many exclusives to hunt down. These reasons over shadowed my desire to have the product, so I moved on.