PDA

View Full Version : We need more and better DC stuff

Neomotion
08-15-2005, 07:23 PM
Man, it seems like Marvel and Star Wars are getting the best deals out there. DC really needs to step it up to keep competing.

Yes, the Batman B&W series rocks. Yes the Wonderwoman mini (and green arrow) rock. Yes the GL vs Sinestro piece is awesome. But then....the well seems to run dry.

Marvel is knocking some quality stuff out of the ballpark. Be it though Bowen, SS, or DST, their stuff just seems to keep coming out of the woodwork.

Don't get me wrong, I love Stan Lee, Kirby, etc etc, but I would buy the big blue over a marvel character any day. Superman hasn't really been given the right treatment (except maybe for the bowen piece), and man i would love to see Tim Bruckner do a Superman/Luthor in battle suit or Doomsday piece like the GL/Sinestro one. Or Batman vs the Joker.

Oh my god, tears start to flow from my eyes just thinking about that. But seriously, i think hardcore DC fans like myself are left behind compared to marvel. Just my 2¢.

Needed to vent for a moment. Don't worry, everything is back to normal now.

Sniper
08-15-2005, 09:32 PM
Amen!!!!!!
DC loves to cancel lines all the time and cancell releases of statues!!!

wizard-comics
08-15-2005, 10:14 PM
I dito the Amen!!!

Comics, Movies, Statues...DC just likes to be second I guess

giro
08-15-2005, 10:15 PM
I Agree , I Just Finished Completing My Fullsize Justice League Statues That I Like , And Now I'm Done With Dc .

Andy Bergholtz
08-15-2005, 10:29 PM
Number of companies producing licensed Marvel statues/busts: 3.2 Gazillion

Number of companies producing licensed DC statues/busts: ONE.

Tell DC/Warner to start licensing out to other companies such as Bowen, Sideshow, etc. DC Direct is awesome, but the potential for cool product is immeasurable, if they would only let other companies in on the action. :)

badlieut
08-15-2005, 10:35 PM
I was hoping they would continue w/ the Batman animated series maquettes. So many characters they could do...

TheMadTitan
08-15-2005, 10:42 PM
I would like to see Superman vs Darkseid statue or Superman vs Doomsday. They will be a blast if they get made by DC.

boondocksaint
08-15-2005, 10:52 PM
definitely!!!!!! and soon i hope!

Nightcrawler777
08-17-2005, 11:29 AM
I would like to get just one good Nightwing statue...

That medium statue they did a few years back is so tiny...

If only Bowen could get his hands on a DC contract..

Cage
08-17-2005, 11:35 AM
Hey, its not DC's fault. Its just like the alphabet, B is always gonna come after A. DC is B, Marvel is A!
Marvel :buttrock:

DC :puke2:

bat_collector
08-17-2005, 12:20 PM
Well, since Batman Begins was tons better than FF, DC comics tons better than Marvel, I guess DC had to throw the other company a bone.

All joking aside, I need busts and statues based on:
JSA
Omac
Villains United
Day of Vengence
JLA and much much more

I'd kill for an awesome Atom Smasher bust or statue, preferably one smashing giant man and a sentinal into the ground.

lord odin
08-17-2005, 01:25 PM
Well, since Batman Begins was tons better than FF, DC comics tons better than Marvel, I guess DC had to throw the other company a bone.

JSA
Omac
Villains United
Day of Vengence
JLA and much much more

I'd kill for an awesome Atom Smasher bust or statue, preferably one smashing giant man and a sentinal into the ground.
Good choices. :buttrock:

Neomotion
08-17-2005, 03:00 PM

JSA
Omac
Villains United
Day of Vengence
JLA and much much more

So true....

But just think about this: A Jla vs Villains United line of statue. How freakin' awesome would that be? So DC, show the love and represent!!! :buttrock:

bat_collector
08-17-2005, 03:30 PM
So true....

But just think about this: A Jla vs Villains United line of statue. How freakin' awesome would that be? So DC, show the love and represent!!! :buttrock:
Yes! both of the society and the secret six! :buttrock:

lord odin
08-17-2005, 04:27 PM
Yes! both of the society and the secret six! :buttrock:
Sounds good to me. :buttrock:

frankmac
08-17-2005, 04:34 PM
I can't take anyone seriously who goes on a rant with the Ultimate Warrior as their avatar. That guy is crazy.

I suggest changing it to Darth Vader, Al Pacino, or someone less "over the top." Then I can read your posts and feel what you are saying.

lord odin
08-17-2005, 04:59 PM
I can't take anyone seriously who goes on a rant with the Ultimate Warrior as their avatar. That guy is crazy.

I suggest changing it to Darth Vader, Al Pacino, or someone less "over the top." Then I can read your posts and feel what you are saying.
How about darth vader that looks like a yellow m&m :laugh:

Neomotion
08-17-2005, 05:06 PM

Hmm. A Space knight in a suit made out of shiny plastic, that is somehow in connection with an unknow "force" thing, and whose nemesis is a green pointy-eared wrinkled dwarf who badly needs grammer lessons. You've made a point, that is not so "over the top". Lemme think on that a while.

lord odin
08-17-2005, 05:09 PM
:laugh: Hmm. A Space knight in a suit made out of shiny plastic, that is somehow in connection with an unknow "force" thing, and whose nemesis is a green pointy-eared wrinkled dwarf who badly needs grammer lessons. You've made a point, that is not so "over the top". Lemme think on that a while.

frankmac
08-17-2005, 05:12 PM
Hmm. A Space knight in a suit made out of shiny plastic, that is somehow in connection with an unknow "force" thing, and whose nemesis is a green pointy-eared wrinkled dwarf who badly needs grammer lessons. You've made a point, that is not so "over the top". Lemme think on that a while.

Well, if you put it that way.

Ultimate Warrior is still ridiculous.

Neomotion
08-17-2005, 05:33 PM
:banghead:

:peoples:

:buttrock:

Wolverine1
08-19-2005, 12:35 AM
I would like to have an Omac statue, as well.

Tetragrammaton
08-19-2005, 12:44 AM
DC has a great many good and popular characters that would work great as statues. What is their problem? They certainly have talented people working for them like Sam Greenwell and Tim Bruckner.

Just a few I would like to see in the future.

Wolverine1
08-19-2005, 01:14 AM
Love to have a Deathstroke FS and have I mentioned Power Girl.

wizard-comics
08-19-2005, 04:20 AM
I know it will never happen, but once Bowen is done with Marvel, It'd be cool to see him go on over and do DC stuff...that would be on the same scale as all the Busts and Full Size Statues....

Azog
08-19-2005, 09:56 AM
I am suprised Deathstroke and the The Demon have never made it into statue form...

bane
08-19-2005, 10:05 AM
Indeed DC can't compete with the likes of the Marvel statue lines , th SS dioramas kick @ss !!
But it is better for the wallet not to give out their license!! :laugh:
Imagine a Bowen DC line ,all those busts and FS statues one would have to buy !!

Maybe we're better of the way it is now.

ftrez
08-19-2005, 06:48 PM
I NEED a good Captain Marvel (Shazam) statue! Ross' is okay, but he should stick to the painting and leave the sculpting to more experienced hands. The face is just too...off or something for me. Also, while I like and appreciate his art, it is wearing a bit thin on me and would like to see another Cap design.

lord odin
08-19-2005, 07:15 PM
I NEED a good Captain Marvel (Shazam) statue! Ross' is okay, but he should stick to the painting and leave the sculpting to more experienced hands. The face is just too...off or something for me. Also, while I like and appreciate his art, it is wearing a bit thin on me and would like to see another Cap design.
I agree with you on all this.

The General
08-19-2005, 08:22 PM
Amen. This DC direct crap isn't working. Enough with this "in-house" BS give someone the ball who can run with it.

qcjoe
08-19-2005, 11:35 PM
I know it will never happen, but once Bowen is done with Marvel, It'd be cool to see him go on over and do DC stuff...that would be on the same scale as all the Busts and Full Size Statues....
I second that brother!

Silver Surfer
08-20-2005, 03:32 AM
I just decided to stop collecting any DC busts and was about to declare this to the world when I saw this thread. I'm gonna pack away the few I have and let them go at some point.

Until DC stops mucking everyone about with their stop and start same characters again in different scales policy, when there is also a total lack of variety especially when compared to what Marvel have with Bowen Designs.

Bullseye
08-20-2005, 08:14 AM
I like what they produce.

Neomotion
08-21-2005, 08:42 AM
I too like what they produce, but i do think they are not consistent in their lines. Scale issues, cancellations. But, if they produce the complete JLA team like the GL/Sinestro statue, I am one happy camper!

Jesse321
08-21-2005, 08:45 AM
I too like what they produce, but i do think they are not consistent in their lines. Scale issues, cancellations. Totally agree, DC Direct also doesn't listen to the fans of the pieces, more often than not, they leave most of them high and dry.

bat_collector
08-21-2005, 09:33 AM
While I would like to see much more character variety, I don't think the answer is having bowen do the line. DC Direct employs top notch sculptors that can compete with anybody. I think the problem lies higher on top than the guys they have making the pieces.

Saying that, I have been absolutlely blown away by so many pieces lately. You guys rock.

Neomotion
08-21-2005, 06:33 PM
While I would like to see much more character variety, I don't think the answer is having bowen do the line. DC Direct employs top notch sculptors that can compete with anybody. I think the problem lies higher on top than the guys they have making the pieces.

Saying that, I have been absolutlely blown away by so many pieces lately. You guys rock.

It is not that I want Bowen persé to make the pieces. But if he did it, we WOULD see a Blue Beetle FS, we WOULD see a Red Tornado bust, instead of the same old "big guns" (i am one of the biggest Superman fans, but i would like to see other characters see the light of day).

Look at the star wars line. Every freakin' alien, that had 1 second of screentime, has it own bust atleast. I think we should write to DC, invite them to join here and talk with collectors about what the people would like to see. Then, it is a win win situation.

And yeah, lately DC is making beautiful stuff. But, i would like to see more variety and to see a line make it to completion. And when, for god sake, are they gonna do some quality bust?

lord odin
08-21-2005, 07:33 PM
It is not that I want Bowen persé to make the pieces. But if he did it, we WOULD see a Blue Beetle FS, we WOULD see a Red Tornado bust, instead of the same old "big guns" (i am one of the biggest Superman fans, but i would like to see other characters see the light of day).

Look at the star wars line. Every freakin' alien, that had 1 second of screentime, has it own bust atleast. I think we should write to DC, invite them to join here and talk with collectors about what the people would like to see. Then, it is a win win situation.
And yeah, lately DC is making beautiful stuff. But, i would like to see more variety and to see a line make it to completion. And when, for god sake, are they gonna do some quality bust?
As long as someone bounds and gags ck13 i`m down for inviting them to the forums.We can`t have him saying DC sux.
On second thought we should bound and gag him anyway a poll perhaps. :laugh:

Jesse321
08-21-2005, 07:44 PM
What DC needs is ONE person in charge of the art direction on all thier pieces, that will organize the lines into one consistant production standard ... thier scales and styles are all over the place!!

Until they do that, they will NEVER be as successful as alot of other companies.

lord odin
08-21-2005, 07:47 PM
What DC needs is ONE person in charge of the art direction on all thier pieces, that will organize the lines into one consistant production standard ... thier scales and styles are all over the place!!
They really don`t care about our opinions and until they do meaning we stop buying these pieces I don`t think they ever will.

Jesse321
08-21-2005, 07:49 PM
They really don`t care about our opinions and until they do meaning we stop buying these pieces I don`t think they ever will.I've already stopped buying alot of thier pieces after the crap they pulled with the JLA Mini Busts, as a matter of fact that last new piece that I bought was the FS Green Lantern.

(Though I did get the Atom statue as a birthday gift, but I didn't buy it so it doens't count.) :laugh:

lord odin
08-21-2005, 07:53 PM
I've already stopped buying alot of thier pieces after the crap they pulled with the JLA Mini Busts, as a matter of fact that last new piece that I bought was the FS Green Lantern.

(Though I did get the Atom statue as a birthday gift, but I didn't buy it so it doens't count.) :laugh:
I stopped as well the last statue I bought was the Jim Lee superman.
I have the B&W batman line but thats it for me.

Wolverine1
08-21-2005, 08:01 PM
I think the last thing I bought was the Jim Lee mini Batman for like $35.00.

qcjoe
08-21-2005, 09:58 PM
They really don`t care about our opinions and until they do meaning we stop buying these pieces I don`t think they ever will.
Well I myself am not buying anything of theres. there :buttrock: is to much other quality stuff out there to be paying there prices for semi ok pieces.

Neomotion
08-22-2005, 06:20 AM
Guess we need to find out who is in charge of decisions at DC then and try to get them here. Maybe ask Popye, because he seems to do a lot of (great) work for DC.

bat_collector
08-22-2005, 09:58 AM
I agree 100% with the stuff said here. More obscure characters, standard line sizes, not bailing on lines before completion.

Yes!

Wolverine1
08-22-2005, 04:53 PM
Dst needs to pick up the DC license. They need better quality than what Marvel already has with Bowen.

Azog
08-23-2005, 10:37 AM
That would be an amazing venture, Diamond is neck deep in Marvel licenses.....would be interesting to say the least...

Neomotion
08-23-2005, 10:57 AM
Okay, then i say if we feel DC needs to do better, it is our responsibility to let them know.

So, first we need to know, who is in charge of making decisions regarding statues and busts? It has to come from somewhere. I'll pm Popeye, since he is the only one on here i know did some stuff for DC. Anyone got some more ideas on how to make this work? And no, not another poll ;)

qcjoe
08-23-2005, 04:03 PM
God I wish Bowen could do DC stuff. Of course my wallet would hate me.

OneOne78
08-24-2005, 12:33 AM
I gave up on DC. :thumbsdow

OneOne78
08-24-2005, 12:34 AM
I gave up on DC :thumbsdow

Ish
08-24-2005, 12:28 PM
what ever you guys want to do count me in, with ya all the way, really want some quality dc stuff.

:banghead: let me at them.

perfusin
08-24-2005, 12:52 PM
Okay, then i say if we feel DC needs to do better, it is our responsibility to let them know.

So, first we need to know, who is in charge of making decisions regarding statues and busts? It has to come from somewhere. I'll pm Popeye, since he is the only one on here i know did some stuff for DC. Anyone got some more ideas on how to make this work? And no, not another poll ;)

Let us know if Popeye has any pull with the DC folks? DC Direct doesn't even follow there own message board so I don't hold out much hope of getting them to listen.

Wolverine1
08-24-2005, 03:40 PM
I gave up on DC :thumbsdow
You gave up on them twice in one minute. Had to think about it, huh.

Neomotion
08-24-2005, 04:35 PM
Let us know if Popeye has any pull with the DC folks? DC Direct doesn't even follow there own message board so I don't hold out much hope of getting them to listen.

Offcourse I'll let you know. But that is not the only horse i am betting on.

We need a good brainstorming session to make this happen. I am open to suggestions. We'll frikkin' get this done i tell you!

Juggernaut
08-28-2005, 05:13 AM
I would like a fs Wonder Woman statue with more fullness to her body.

I would also like Catwoman and Haley Quinn terry Dodson style.

Darkseid and Doomsday.

Confessor
08-28-2005, 07:50 AM

Until they do that, they will NEVER be as successful as alot of other companies.

Yes. And for the love of all that's holy, get a full size, consistent line going, for cryin' out loud. I LOVE many DC characters, but can buy NONE of them until a full sized line starts (again). The size on the 3 GL's, bronze Batman, Bisley Batman, 1st WW, Lobo, Darkseid and the 1st Supes were all fine.....so obviously they can do it. Geeze!!

TheMadTitan
08-28-2005, 12:28 PM
I love to have a Darkseid VS Supes statue from DC.

Neomotion
08-29-2005, 02:07 PM
Me too, how frikkin' awesome would that be?

Maxwell Lord
09-18-2005, 06:17 AM
I hope Mattel's new Marvel Legends-style line will do them justice...let DC Direct make the artistic ones, and Mattel make the articlulated ones - I hope they put out some bigger scale articulate dfigures one day - not 12" but maybe something smaller with or without real clothes.

speedracer
09-18-2005, 07:42 AM
dc should give sideshow and bowen the license and see the sales take off...their doing ok on their own but they would kick some serious ass with sideshow and bowen on their side..=)

Ish
09-18-2005, 10:20 AM
i also say start a mcguiness line, and keep the lee's coming. :buttrock:

bane
09-18-2005, 11:51 AM
i also say start a mcguiness line, and keep the lee's coming. :buttrock:

Indeed, no word so far for a Jim Lee B&W statue , they can't do the B&W line without that one, I also think an Alex Ross B&W will be produced with all the hype going on around him.
Mc Guinness hasen't done a B&W story yet but that would make a great asset to the series.

Maxwell Lord
09-18-2005, 12:39 PM
Huh? Tim Bruckner is one of the best in the biz...this Green Lantern piece is the hottest thing ever...

http://www.toymania.com/news/images/0505_dcd_sin_sm.jpg

and this Ed McGuiness Batman/Superman Bookend set:

http://www.toymania.com/news/images/0405_dcd_book_sm.jpg

Never happy with the great stuff being made...I can only see better stuff coming from DC in the next few years.

I wish Bowen of DST would start doing artist renditions of the Marvel characters instead of this plain un exciting stuff they make now...whoops, sorry about that - forgot where I was for a second ;-)

Ish
09-18-2005, 12:50 PM
Huh? Tim Bruckner is one of the best in the biz...this Green Lantern piece is the hottest thing ever...

http://www.toymania.com/news/images/0505_dcd_sin_sm.jpg

and this Ed McGuiness Batman/Superman Bookend set:

http://www.toymania.com/news/images/0405_dcd_book_sm.jpg

Never happy with the great stuff being made...I can only see better stuff coming from DC in the next few years.

I wish Bowen of DST would start doing artist renditions of the Marvel characters instead of this plain un exciting stuff they make now...whoops, sorry about that - forgot where I was for a second ;-)
i like those too, we just need more. :buttrock:

ravageur
09-18-2005, 05:34 PM
I love many stuffs from DC.
They made great statues like Hawkman, Lobo, Hellblazer, Wonder Woman, Jim Lee Batman, Supergirl, aquaman, 3 Green Lantern ...
Wonder Woman vs Hydra is one of the best statue ever made and Green Lantern vs Sinestro seems amazing.
The Batman black and White mini statues are a great idea.

So, I'm happy with DC statues and i hope they will continue to make statues with such original posture.
they need only to improve their line of busts !!

Neomotion
09-18-2005, 06:28 PM
I love the Green Lantern vs Sinestro statue. So much action, that thing seems alive. Also love the Batman B&W series, it is a really novel idea and a great line. The Superman Cover to Cover line looks like a great idea, only not to sure about the choice of covers they made. Need to see this one in person before i can comment on it. Also have the Wonderwoman mini on order, so that one will be here when it is released.

So, Batman, Superman, WonderWoman and Green Lantern are getting the props they deserve, so all we need are the rest of the dcu in resin !!

Ish
09-18-2005, 06:40 PM
i think a turner wonder woman would be awsome. :buttrock:

http://www.sufferingsappho.com/wrap/turner_promo.jpg

Wolverine1
09-18-2005, 06:51 PM

Shoot all three of those would be awesome.

Ish
09-18-2005, 06:53 PM
Shoot all three of those would be awesome.
you are correct sir.

ravageur
09-19-2005, 01:46 AM

You've got almost this one with Soulfire statue. :laugh:
There is also the statue of Supergirl which has the same face.

I need only one Turner statue, I wouldn't like to have too many clones with different clothes only.

blackjack
09-19-2005, 10:18 AM
I say the only way to show DC that they need to improve their products is to stop buying their current and future products. I stopped buying their statues a long time ago since I feel I can't get my money worth compare to what crap they put out!

I think Marvel is very smart in licensing their products. They give their fans more choices to decide! DC's monoply will be their downfall!

kirthew
09-19-2005, 02:07 PM
Look... I think that DC is going to hold onto their licence with a tight fist... the only way that they are going to stop producing product themselves is if DC Direct gets sold off, or they close it down. To get that done, you need to stop buying the statues... If you stop buying the statues, LCS will stop placing pre orders, and then DC Direct will stop making statues. Do I want this to happen, No... Do I want change... Yes.

I personally like Bowen Designs work on the Marvel Licence. If you dont like the BD stuff.. then you can go with Sideshow, DST, Hard Hero... there are choices here... it is like a Free Market...

With DC you have one choice. You dont like the design of the Batman statue, you dont get a Batman Statue... you hate the new Green Lantern Statue... Tough.. Speaking of which... how many Green Lantern Statues are out there.. I can count 4 off the top of my head...

I really think it is time for DC/Warner Bros/AOL to wake up and smell the coffee... Whatever movement you want to formulate... I am in.

Kirthew
Lover of DC Comics... Hater of DC Direct

P.S. I am not raggin on the sculpters here... I think that the Jim Lee Batman statue is one of the finest statues I have, the Batman B&W is a fantastic line... I just think that the company needs to change direct.

Ish
09-19-2005, 02:14 PM
i stoped buying dc stuff already, the last one i'm going to get is the kotto bats vinyl, but after that i'm done.

Sniper
09-19-2005, 02:55 PM
I have stopped a lot of the Dc stuff. I have some of the older stuff but I will not get the current line fo the female busts. I have to admit I am buying the wonder woman bolland mini statue. This is what Dc seems to make better than marvel the mini statues.
I wonder with all the popularity of the Justice league umlimited you would think they would be pumping out the JLA unlimited characters that were featured on the show. WHere the hell is grog, LEx luthor, , hello dc are you listening !!!!!!
I am only a person that wants to give you my $$$ but I guess you could care less!

nbr3bagshotrow
09-19-2005, 03:03 PM
I won't stop buying the DC Direct stuff as I'm more than pleased with what I have.

Green Lantern (2nd Hal Jordan)
Jim Lee Batman
Jim Lee Superman
Supergirl (both)
Wonder Woman (Bolland)
Aquaman
Green Arrow
Justice League maquette set
Classic Animation Batman, Superman, Green Arrow, Catwoman, Harley Quinn
The DC Universe mini-busts (the granite base series)

I also am looking forward to the Women of the DC Universe bust series. The latest Toyfare lists 5 (Wonder Woman, Poison Ivy, Catwoman, Supergirl, and Harley Quinn).

I'm all in favor of capitalism. If you don't like their stuff, don't buy it. I like their stuff, so I buy it.

Ish
09-19-2005, 03:07 PM
You've got almost this one with Soulfire statue. :laugh:
There is also the statue of Supergirl which has the same face.

I need only one Turner statue, I wouldn't like to have too many clones with different clothes only.

i think a wonder woman from turner won't look like super girl or the others, i'd be happy with either a turner or a lee ww.

bane
09-19-2005, 07:11 PM
Just saw a peek of the new Catwoman bust and it looks sweet to me, I also like the Lee Batman and Superman statues and ofcourse the B&W line.

Seems like they are improving allready.

kirthew
09-20-2005, 12:56 AM
I'm all in favor of capitalism. If you don't like their stuff, don't buy it. I like their stuff, so I buy it.

Unfortunately it is not capitalism... it is communism... One Company... One Source... One...

nbr3bagshotrow
09-20-2005, 10:49 AM
Unfortunately it is not capitalism... it is communism... One Company... One Source... One...
Communisim isn't an economic term, it's political. What you are referring to is a monopoly and you still don't have to buy it.

kirthew
09-20-2005, 12:46 PM
Communisim isn't an economic term, it's political. What you are referring to is a monopoly and you still don't have to buy it.

My bad.... next time I will compare them to the Borg... and your right... I dont have to buy it... But I am a huge DC fan... and it sucks to have only one option.

Kirthew

msw313
12-04-2005, 02:48 AM
I buy and collect a lot of the DC Direct pieces, and am very happy with the ones I have bought.

While the issues of inconsistent scale and aborted series do annoy me, I continue to buy the ones I like based on design and execution.

While I am a Bowen near-completist due to the fact that I like everything he puts out, I am more selective with products I buy from DC Direct and others.

daveyyojimbo
12-04-2005, 02:56 AM
I would like to see Superman vs Darkseid statue or Superman vs Doomsday. They will be a blast if they get made by DC.
superman vs darkseid would rock :buttrock:

WolverineX77
12-04-2005, 03:51 AM
I'd say that most of my collection is made up of DC Direct. MOSTLY Superman & Batman figures and statues/busts. While I love the stuff they put out, I, being a HUGE Superman fan (Batman a close 2nd), believe that only, and I mean ONLY, Tim Bruckner should sculpt all items related to the character :laugh: I just got his Jim Lee Superman FS off the bay at a bargain: $170 BIN. :buttrock:

And they should definitely have INTERACTIONS with fans & collectors alike. C'mon, DC. Hear us out!

msw313
12-05-2005, 03:26 AM
...And they should definitely have INTERACTIONS with fans & collectors alike. C'mon, DC. Hear us out!
It's definitely strange that no one represents DC Direct on the Forum (then again, maybe they've felt the "love" and decided to hide!) :laugh:

But seriously, DC Direct has conducted "brainstorming sessions" with fans out at San Diego Comicon for the last 4-or-5 years, and all the top DC Direct execs have been in attendence. A couple of them took copious notes during the hour-long panels. They've been well-organized, with discussions broken up into specific sessions on statues, prop replicas, and action figures. Many of the ideas tossed around out there have come to pass.

(They also have goodies giveaways. One lucky attendee in '04 won a signed prototype of the Jim Lee Batman FS.)

So they are not adverse to fan input. Are they even aware we are here? Maybe that's the real problem.

The Batman Professor
12-05-2005, 01:52 PM
A couple of years ago, just as DC Direct was getting going, there was a change at the top as a former Warner Bros Studio Store exec came in to run the show. A typical marketing-focused suit with no idea what makes the fanbase tick, she ordered up nonsense such as the marionette line and that outrageously priced utility belt that no one ordered. At the time, I was working with William Paquet to develop statue ideas, and we presented numerous sketches and concepts, of which only the Spectre was produced as far as non Superman or Batman projects was concerned. We had lobbied for years to get an Etrigan statue in the works, as well as Manbat and Bane, but to no avail. The advantage that Marvel has is that Bowen is a fan as well as a businessman, and he knows how to give the fans what they want. DC Direct is run by corporate hacks, pure and simple.

msw313
12-05-2005, 04:00 PM
A couple of years ago, just as DC Direct was getting going, there was a change at the top as a former Warner Bros Studio Store exec came in to run the show. A typical marketing-focused suit with no idea what makes the fanbase tick, she ordered up nonsense... that no one ordered.
...The advantage that Marvel has is that Bowen is a fan as well as a businessman, and he knows how to give the fans what they want. DC Direct is run by corporate hacks, pure and simple.
This certainly explains a lot about a lot.

The DC Direct reps at the conventions certainly always seem sincere in their desire to give the fans what they want, but follow-through percentage is definitely not as high as it could be.

Now we know why.

Neomotion
12-05-2005, 04:08 PM
A couple of years ago, just as DC Direct was getting going, there was a change at the top as a former Warner Bros Studio Store exec came in to run the show. A typical marketing-focused suit with no idea what makes the fanbase tick, she ordered up nonsense such as the marionette line and that outrageously priced utility belt that no one ordered. At the time, I was working with William Paquet to develop statue ideas, and we presented numerous sketches and concepts, of which only the Spectre was produced as far as non Superman or Batman projects was concerned. We had lobbied for years to get an Etrigan statue in the works, as well as Manbat and Bane, but to no avail. The advantage that Marvel has is that Bowen is a fan as well as a businessman, and he knows how to give the fans what they want. DC Direct is run by corporate hacks, pure and simple.

So yet again a voice of reason to get mr. R. Bowen over to "the Dark Side". If only.....

nbr3bagshotrow
12-05-2005, 04:40 PM
I buy and collect a lot of the DC Direct pieces, and am very happy with the ones I have bought.

While the issues of inconsistent scale and aborted series do annoy me, I continue to buy the ones I like based on design and execution.

While I am a Bowen near-completist due to the fact that I like everything he puts out, I am more selective with products I buy from DC Direct and others.
Hear! Hear! Said with eloquence instead of bashing.

Crom
12-05-2005, 04:43 PM
I wonder if DC will ever have to face the question of licensing, as Marvel does? Obviously DC is owned by WB and isn't in the same financial situation as Marvel. However, Marvel is making serious money off of licensing, demonstrated by the numerous companies which hold just statue licenses.

Does anyone in the know (or in anyone) believe that someday the potential profits of licensing out to other companies will outweigh the control and profitability of DC Direct?

MrYac
12-05-2005, 04:47 PM
i wish DCD would do more of the classic Super Friends Maquettes personally, i love the look of some of the characters in the show, was super excited when the line started but they killedit before i could get Gorilla Grodd, Bizarro and Grundy in their classic look:(

msw313
12-05-2005, 06:41 PM
I wonder if DC will ever have to face the question of licensing, as Marvel does? Obviously DC is owned by WB and isn't in the same financial situation as Marvel. However, Marvel is making serious money off of licensing, demonstrated by the numerous companies which hold just statue licenses.

Does anyone in the know (or in anyone) believe that someday the potential profits of licensing out to other companies will outweigh the control and profitability of DC Direct?
I would hope someone at DC scouts the convention floors occasionally and sees the buzz generated around the various offerings of licensed Marvel statues, and perhaps starts questioning the incestuous nature of their own statue business. Lack of fresh perspective smothers creativity, and diminishes the life force of the entire system.

Why, for example, couldn't they license at least some limited selected products to outside studios as a test? That way, they could still have final approval, but not stifle artistic expression by micromanaging every step of the creative process. They could start small and, as each licensee proves themselves in the marketplace, they could be rewarded with an expanded license.

This way, DC Direct could still produce such lines and individual items as they choose in-house, but they would be able to focus their attention more effectively. And, they would also benefit from the infusion of fresh blood and excitement into their product lines.

Though if, as Batman Professor indicates, a corporate bean-counter is calling the shots for DC Direct, then the inherent narrowness-of-vision of such an individual would render outside licensing a virtual impossibility.

kirthew
12-05-2005, 06:49 PM
So yet again a voice of reason to get mr. R. Bowen over to "the Dark Side". If only.....

If Bowen got a licence to produce DC Busts and Statues... my girlfriend would kill me... for I would buy every single one... I am not much of a Marvel fan.. I like me a Silver Surfer Statue.. and a Spiderman Statue... and about 15 to 20 other characters... but I love the entire DC universe... I could go from a Man-bat mini bust to an Elogated Man statue... and then back to a Doomsday mini bust... into a Impulse statue... I mean every character in the DC universe I could purchase if Randy had the licence...

The problem I have with DC Direct is that they dont finish through... The Jim Lee line.. done... Think how cool a Full Size Jim Lee Joker would look? Or Nightwing... or Robin... Or any of the characters from that Batman/Superman run. But nope... the pull the plug after Sup's... It is like they are affraid to take a chance and that is sad.

msw313
12-05-2005, 07:15 PM
Many on this thread have expressed the wish for Randy Bowen to get a license to do DC characters.

While it was Randy's work via Graphitti Designs in the early '90s that launched the statue line that eventually gave birth to DC Direct, he's not likely to be doing anything for them again, even if he wasn't tied up with the Marvel license. At least, not unless there is a corporate regime change.

I spoke with Randy for a while in San Diego 2003, while he was in that 1-year limbo between the end of Marvel Phase 1, and before the deal was made to return for Phase 2. When asked, he revealed that they had approached DC with a proposal shortly after the announcement of the end of the Marvel license. Rocky had even gone personally to the DC offices in NYC for meetings with DC execs. While Randy didn't specifically verbalize his feelings about the negotiations, it was easy to tell that the whole experience had left a bad taste in his mouth.

WolverineX77
12-06-2005, 01:13 AM
For shame. If only DC & DCD would get their s**t together..........*sigh* I'd LOVE me a Randy-sculpted Superman & Batman FSs/MBs..... :banghead:

Sniper
12-06-2005, 01:58 AM
I am searching now for the bolland wonder woman and the aquaman to go along with my greeen arrow, I will pass on the hawkman, The pose does nothing for me

The Batman Professor
12-06-2005, 11:10 PM
Shortly after Bowen's Superman statue was released the word went out from DC that they wanted to look at other sculptors' work. DC was unhappy that Randy was working for Marvel, Dark Horse, Graphitti and them. There may be lingering animosity over at DC that Randy would not sign an exclusive contract with them back in the day.

pingoy82
12-08-2005, 05:28 AM
I remeber months ago when the premium format for starwars was announced, Isaid to myself "damn I wish they would make LOtr stuff too" and they did!!!. After that I decided not to continue gentle giant starwars anymore and will focus on premium formats.

Now I've got on 2 wishes to go:

1. Side show gets the DC license so that they can produce both premium formats and dioramas :)

2. Bowen gets the Dc license after Marvel Phase 3 :) so that I'll be all bowen in FS statues :)

by the way is there a site where in you can check all of the Dc Direct releases? I mean I know they have it on their site, but it's not complete especially with older releases?

pingoy82
12-08-2005, 05:31 AM
oh and one other thing, It's because of my post above that Dc's chance of giving there license to others is slim.. becuse we will be boycotting there porducts if they ever give it to bowen and sideshow :confused2

Neomotion
12-08-2005, 08:03 AM
oh and one other thing, It's because of my post above that Dc's chance of giving there license to others is slim.. becuse we will be boycotting there porducts if they ever give it to bowen and sideshow :confused2

But wouldn't it make more sense to expand the license and stop making the statues themselves? No risk, they keep the final vote, and there will probably be more creativity amongst the statues. They could start with giving Tim Bruckner a license, so he can start his own company like Bowen and can decide for himself what characters he want's to sculpt.

And if TB keeps sculpting there line, there is no way people would be boycotting his work. After all, we are talking about Tim Bruckner,

msw313
12-08-2005, 12:56 PM
...They could start with giving Tim Bruckner a license, so he can start his own company like Bowen and can decide for himself what characters he want's to sculpt.

And if TB keeps sculpting there line, there is no way people would be boycotting his work. After all, we are talking about Tim Bruckner,
Top 3 sculptors in the biz, IMO, are Bowen, Moore, and Bruckner.

Tim is, unfortunately, constrained by the way DC parcels out the work. They are wasting his considerable talent by having him as lead sculptor on the action figures, which gives him too little time for statues and busts.

Dedicate Bruckner to the statue line and turn him loose. Let HIM pick the subjects instead of some committee of corporate bean-counters. DC Direct would be back on the map in no time.

ZKULPTOR
12-08-2005, 06:01 PM
Man, it seems like Marvel and Star Wars are getting the best deals out there. DC really needs to step it up to keep competing.

Yes, the Batman B&W series rocks. Yes the Wonderwoman mini (and green arrow) rock. Yes the GL vs Sinestro piece is awesome. But then....the well seems to run dry.

Marvel is knocking some quality stuff out of the ballpark. Be it though Bowen, SS, or DST, their stuff just seems to keep coming out of the woodwork.

Don't get me wrong, I love Stan Lee, Kirby, etc etc, but I would buy the big blue over a marvel character any day. Superman hasn't really been given the right treatment (except maybe for the bowen piece), and man i would love to see Tim Bruckner do a Superman/Luthor in battle suit or Doomsday piece like the GL/Sinestro one. Or Batman vs the Joker.

Oh my god, tears start to flow from my eyes just thinking about that. But seriously, i think hardcore DC fans like myself are left behind compared to marvel. Just my 2¢.

Needed to vent for a moment. Don't worry, everything is back to normal now.Done!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kirk Durfey
12-08-2005, 07:41 PM
Done!!!!!!!!!!!!
Alright Eric - Spill it - What is done?!?! Enquiring minds want to know :inquisiti
I take it this means you are doing some DC work? That would :buttrock:

ZKULPTOR
12-08-2005, 07:43 PM
all in due time son ;)

bane
12-08-2005, 08:03 PM
all in due time son ;)

You're giving us something of true value , you're giving us HOPE !!

msw313
12-08-2005, 08:13 PM
Done!!!!!!!!!!!!
Uh oh! I hear the splintering of the barrier as fresh blood seeps in.

First Cleary; now Sosa doing some DC work. Who next?

C'mon! We all know the Christmas wise men come in a set of 3! :inquisiti

Neomotion
12-08-2005, 09:21 PM
Done!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh my God. You are not implying there is a Supes vs Luthor/Doomsday in the works? That would be sooooo freakin' awesome. Please tell us. Please. Pretty please with sugar, cream and a cherry on top......

Neomotion
12-08-2005, 09:52 PM
Just to be clear, i am talking about the battlesuit or powersuit as it is sometimes called, that looks like this.

http://img192.imageshack.us/img192/7158/luthorwarsuit9wf.gif (http://imageshack.us)

That would be number one on my wishlist. A Superman/Luthor fightscene. Awesome.