PDA

View Full Version : Do you actually appreciate what you already have?

Bullseye
11-22-2013, 06:55 PM
Sometimes I wonder if I really appreciate the collection I already have. Far too often a piece arrives and the excitement dissipates within minutes. It's onto he next piece. I know we all probably look at our collections everyday but do we really appreciate them? Personally I've slowed right down from the heady days of three or four years ago. I've only three pieces on order. There was a time when I'd have ten on the to at any one time. Space restrictions, licenses I'm most interested in slowing down etc have played their part. But more and more i study the collection and appreciate what I have and wonder do I really need any more.

Apart from the three I have on order the only other one I would buy with certainty is a Wonder Woman PF. And I think that will be that.

Webb
11-22-2013, 07:07 PM
I think all the time selling my collection and get a "VERY" nice Nikon DSLR set up.

But then I work 6 days a week,no time for pictures.:rolleyes2

Bullseye
11-22-2013, 07:18 PM
Well you have the 7th day and nighttime photography can be cool. Especially if you hook it up to a good telescope. With a decent pair of binoculars you can see Jupitars moons. Could you imagine what a good camera/telescope could achieve.

El Diablo
11-22-2013, 07:24 PM
I've massively cut back on purchases, I only have gladiator hulk on preorder and I'll perhaps get the ironman mkVII 1:2 but only when he's released. Other than that I can't see me ordering much more, I already have more than enough statues to rotate my display a few times over in fact I plan on selling some stuff that I've either lost interest in or can't store. Besides I've been more into my hifi and home cinema equipment recently, though that's been more expensive than the statues! seems I'll always find something to spend money on :laugh:

dr.banner
11-22-2013, 07:27 PM
That's a damn good question bulls sometimes I encounter the same feeling the moment I have the piece unpacked and set up. I wonder what is it that drives us to purchase more and more? Is it the thrill of the hunt, the anticipation of the delivery, and why put up the painful delays and dealing with pieces that did not meet our expectations?

Bullseye
11-22-2013, 07:28 PM
I've started to get back into music in a big way. Always loved it but the whole digital age and iTunes era left me cold. Discovering 24 bit Flac has literally opened my ears to the medium i once loved. Ambition now is to get a great set up for music and maybe upgrade my amp for the movie surround.

Webb
11-22-2013, 07:30 PM
I wish it was that easy,Sundays I just want to relax at home.

El Diablo
11-22-2013, 07:33 PM
I've started to get back into music in a big way. Always loved it but the whole digital age and iTunes era left me cold. Discovering 24 bit Flac has literally opened my ears to the medium i once loved. Ambition now is to get a great set up for music and maybe upgrade my amp for the movie surround.

yeah same here I'm a purely cd person but it does get irritating swapping discs out all the time so I wanted something that covered all the bases with streaming,cd,hard drive connectivity etc. and the naim unitilite fitted the bill perfectly it gets great reviews you should take a look at it if your looking to upgrade :thumbs2:

Bullseye
11-22-2013, 07:34 PM
Cheers mate ill do my research on it.

Vracula
11-22-2013, 07:39 PM
Yup I agree Bulls , as a person who just opens and puts it back in the box the best part is actually waiting for the reveal and then waiting to see it for the first time and then in the box it goes and then onto the next statue.

built2shred
11-22-2013, 07:50 PM
I've setup my living room and bedroom to showcase a certain amount of statues, once I fill it up I'm pretty much done... If I do see something in the future ill have to sell something to make room for it... but overall I doubt ill be selling off my collection anytime soon... Except for my HT's, I've decided there just not for me..

I do get a kick out of all my friends/family drooling over the statues when they come over... They always check them out even tho they have seen them several times before..

Indridcold99
11-22-2013, 07:58 PM
Yeah, well for me this hobby is not the one to keep up with the Jonses. Ive got a great collections and the only thing I PO was Apoc. Regardless, Im renting and I have nothing displayed except for Galactus. We have to be happy with what we have already, thus to each their own.

risingstar
11-22-2013, 08:01 PM
My problem is that I have really expensive tastes... lol. Thankfully, I have two little kids who keep me so busy that I'm forced to appreciate what I own due to the limited time I have to pursue things I might want. Oddly enough, over the past few years, I have actually sold more pieces than I purchased. Nowadays, I keep an eye out for artwork I like as well as the occasional Sideshow piece. Whether it's a blessing in disguise, who knows, but right now, no other company seems able to compete with SS' PF line.

Tbolt
11-22-2013, 08:05 PM
Just told the wife and kids I don't appreciate them, going to tell the boss to get bent as well. That should solve any collecting issues as I'll be sleeping under a bridge soon. Winning!

Nitefall
11-22-2013, 08:13 PM
:buttrock: Darn good question/thread. I always enjoy appreciating my humble collection. Never seem to get tired of it. :thumbs2:

Every so often I bring 2 or 3 statues upstairs away from the statue room (which is still being developed and changed with lighting, different combinations of pieces and artwork) to put the statues on the side table in our dining room to enjoy.

Also am always looking for artwork that I would like to display with certain statues. Am enlarging a drawing of Conan by Buscema to go with the new dio coming in December. The statue room also is often visited and enjoyed. I really think that I don't need many more pieces and only have 2 (besides Fury of the Beast) on order.

Next phase in this great hobby is armature, sculpty, bake and paint plus a lot of kits hanging around to do. I don't miss the rush of the click and order anymore. Except......Lobo is coming. :rolleyes2

Bullseye
11-22-2013, 08:18 PM
I like the idea of bringing two or three pieces upstairs togice some appreciation and switch it up alittle. I've never been into rotating the collection around. Maybe I'll give that a go too.

Xaerius
11-22-2013, 08:30 PM
I only have a handful of statues displayed at any one time because I don't currently have the space to display them all. I have a few that I absolutely adore and then have others that I like but that aren't as special to me.

More recently, I've been growing tired of them before they even get released but am then pleasantly surprised to see them in person. I have made a lot of collecting mistakes this year and still have a few statues pre-ordered that I am not all that enthused for anymore whereas there are others that I can't wait to get.

The fun for me is also reading the forums and being a part of the excitement leading up to the statue's release. Then seeing the in-hand pictures, watching the reviews, and seeing how happy people are with their purchases. It is nice to have something to look forward to. :)

Atheris
11-22-2013, 08:37 PM
I think everyone is just addicted to opening boxes. No one actually cares what's inside lol

Chris

El Diablo
11-22-2013, 08:43 PM
I like the idea of bringing two or three pieces upstairs togice some appreciation and switch it up alittle. I've never been into rotating the collection around. Maybe I'll give that a go too.

rotating is the way forward! :)
it keeps the displays fresh and you get that same feeling like when you first bought it when you unpack a favourite statue you've had stored for months. I prefer swapping out the entire display though not just the odd statue, it's quite good working out what will display well with each other.

Nitefall
11-22-2013, 08:49 PM
I think everyone is just addicted to opening boxes. No one actually cares what's inside lol

Chris

:laugh::laugh: So true! Actually just receiving the silly box and then tossing it in a dark corner of the basement is good enough. I see enough of the statues on the forums. :D

The Mule
11-22-2013, 08:49 PM
Good question. Easy answer. I don't have a display right now, lol, easy as that. I'm lucky that the pieces I want have yet to come out so I can just preorder them and wait, except for maybe 2-3 pieces that I may stalk down the road, I already found a personal grail so I consider myself lucky, it should arrive next week.
I had on the desk two statues for a while - Isaac Clarke and Maul Mythos.
Isaac was... well, very underwhelming since the first look but overall decent sculpt. Maul gave me a little wow factor (I expected him to be much worse, judging by the reviews on the boards) but after a couple of weeks my interest already faded. But I sometimes took a look at him and stared for a few seconds.
The other piece I have is Rhino Ex, but it's boxed, too big to be safely displayed on the desk. Even tho I barely know the character, I really really liked it and always gave me a wow factor when I pulled him out of the box (I did, a few times, just for a couple of hours).
I really hope that once the pieces I'm really looking for start arriving, I won't lose interest :)

johnny6666
11-22-2013, 08:56 PM
A truly interesting thread topic!

I'd suggest that with all the Hi-Res multi-angle photos, YT video reviews, sneak peeks, forum chat, etc. that the traditional thrill of receiving a new piece is displaced and almost completely diffused by all the pre-purchase information and discussion.

Don't get me wrong, I love all this online stuff, but we're a long way from childhood when the first we saw of a new 'toy' was when it hit the toy store (or, at the most, was shown in a traditional mail catalogue). Sure, when spending $500 - $1,000 on a single item this amount of information is absolutely necessary, but it doesn't leave much in the way of actual surprise upon receipt of a new piece...

Blacksunn
11-22-2013, 08:58 PM
Funny you post this Bullseye, I like others have been debating selling the majority of my collection. I have been getting rid of a piece here and there over the past year or so. Mostly to make room.

When I first started collecting years ago I was buying 2 of everything. One to display and one to put away. Don't ask I've always been that way. I have an entire storage room of pieces I cannot display due to size and another with ones I have not even opened.

Expect a flood on eBay soon... Hate to say but the magic has faded for me...

derekrodneysim
11-22-2013, 09:00 PM
I would say I do appreciate them even though I only have a bunch displayed now. I feel good knowing I have a lot of the ones I really want kept somewhere (I just need to find it) :D

I only buy what I like and only a few pieces suffered the 'meh' after I opened it. Every now and then I also unpack a few oldies and get that brand new feeling again.

I really do need to slow down at some stage and plenty of times I get hit with the conscience bug about how people are homeless and I spend money on toys. Anybody ever get that?

derekrodneysim
11-22-2013, 09:02 PM
Before you hit ebay, drop me a line, Blacksunn. I'd like to see what you have. :thumbs2:

DynamicMenace
11-22-2013, 09:11 PM
totally appreciate what i have.

Peedi
11-22-2013, 09:14 PM
I appreciate what I have simply because many don't have the means to have what I have.

I started collecting SS in 2011. I might not have old grails like Doom, Cap, Hulk, etc, but I remember starting out and seeing all I missed and compare that to what I was able to get, most of it at prices newer collectors would kill for. I'm really grateful.

JP Sarri
11-22-2013, 09:20 PM
This is the best question/thread, I have heard in awhile (and not only on this forum). Good job, Bullseye!

I have been asking myself the same question and similar others, for the past few months. It is easier to respond "yes" or "no" but the answer goes a little deeper than that.

I see it from different angles. First, financially. I have invested like many of you, thousands of dollars into this hobby of mine. Money that I could have used to pursue other interests. Photography for example.

Second, Time. Definetely, I spend a lot of time in forums talking about statues and getting my fix of the industry news. Undeniably, I have made many friends (and some haters) and for that I am grateful (for both...I know, I am weird). But that time could've also been used to other activities like home improvement or aquiring a new skill.

Third and more importantly, the Family. I accept that I have sacrificed a lot of good quality time with my family for the sake of my collectibles. This has been my mistake. I live in beautiful Coastal South Carolina. On my way to work this morning, I was so mesmerized with the beauty of the marshes along the road that I was reminded of the times my father took me fishing. Honestly, I haven't done this with my 13 year old daughter, and for that I am ashamed. Nobody else to blame but me.

Yes, the awe of a new piece is gone after the box has been opened. I think that we are all addicts of the thrill of the moment. After that "grail" comes home, we are done with it and we move on. Like crack addicts, we are in search of our next fix. Sadly, we fall into the consumerism trap. We need to balance our priorities. And I am speaking for myself. ;)

XMAN
11-22-2013, 09:56 PM
I have this hobby divided into sections....
first is the search part. I only buy what I love not what I like.If you buy everything you like you're dead.

Next comes the display....along with this comes the lighting. How you display your pieces and how you're lighting them is the most important part of the hobby because only then will you really start to enjoy what you have.

Repainting is also very important....while it's not possible at least for me to have everything repainted ...the ones that I have had repainted have become my favorite pieces.I know many will say that you should not have to have anything repainted because you're paying already too much as it is.....I agree in a way but the truth is ...A repainted statue by a good painter will always look better than a factory paint job.......this is an expensive hobby and maybe less is more and to curb your buying may actually help you appreciate what you already have.....:dork:..just my take on the subject

XMAN
11-22-2013, 10:00 PM

rotating is a very good idea....you will be surprise how much nicer you can get things to look if you switch things around a bit. it is why I had a storage section built under my display case to help rotate things around........:drinking:

COI
11-22-2013, 10:02 PM
I appreciate what I have.

I rotate what pieces I keep out. For months at a time, I'll pack everything away, stay off the forums, let my pre-orders stand and only really pay attention to the weekly newsletter. In other words, I keep and build on my collection, but I don't immerse myself in it for long periods. When the time comes to pull some statues out, it's like they're new again. I enjoy them for a couple of months, take pictures, etc... and then it's back in the box. It's almost seasonal. When I get something new, I often keep it out on its own, usually on my desk, to study it for a few weeks, and then it joins the rest. I think you guys get the point.

I find that much more enjoyable, and it keeps things fresh. This is counter to how most people enjoy this hobby, but I know that if I kept them out all around me all the time, they would eventually fade into the background.

XMAN
11-22-2013, 10:05 PM

I rotate what pieces I keep out. For months at a time, I'll pack everything away, stay off the forums, let my pre-orders stand and only really pay attention to the weekly newsletter. In other words, I keep and build on my collection, but I don't immerse myself in it for long periods. When the time comes to pull some statues out, it's like they're new again. I enjoy them for a couple of months, take pictures, etc... and then it's back in the box. It's almost seasonal. When I get something new, I often keep it out on its own, usually on my desk, to study it for a few weeks, and then it joins the rest. I think you guys get the point.

I find that much more enjoyable, and it keeps things fresh. This is counter to how most people enjoy this hobby, but I know that if I kept them out all around me all the time, they would eventually fade into the background.

makes perfect sense to me..:drinking:

wolf-brother
11-22-2013, 10:08 PM
I have been collecting statues since the 90's and over the years have whittled/sold my collection down to what I want to keep.

I got over impulse buying a long time ago and just get what I really want and plan on keeping now. This is the last hurrah for my collecting as price and especially space has motivated me to make the decision to drop this hobby. On that note I am going out with a bang with quite a few premium orders that will utilize the rest of my display space.

I have my X-Men and Avengers teams complete, and Cosmic heroes from Bowen and Koto as well as a few Spider-man statues and his villians.
CS Moore Magdelena, Conans and Kull.
I just recently started getting SS and ARH pieces,(they're so big)both Predator dioramas and seven PO this year from SS: both Conans, QOTD, Red Sonja, Predator 2 maq, Sinestro, Darth Malgus and Campbell Spider-Man cq.
I have Leonidas, Achilles and Barbarian from ARH with Ares and Conan dio ordered as well as Conan the Brutal from Quarantine. Conan is my favorite character.

I definitely appreciate my collection. Everything I have now is displayed strategically all over the house and the most being in my office room so I am always in a position to view these spectacular pieces of art. It has been and continues to be great fun.

wolf-brother
11-22-2013, 10:29 PM
Repainting is also very important....while it's not possible at least for me to have everything repainted ...the ones that I have had repainted have become my favorite pieces.I know many will say that you should not have to have anything repainted because you're paying already too much as it is.....I agree in a way but the truth is ...A repainted statue by a good painter will always look better than a factory paint job.......this is an expensive hobby and maybe less is more and to curb your buying may actually help you appreciate what you already have.....:dork:..just my take on the subject

So true for me. I enjoy my repaints the most.

PermaGrin
11-22-2013, 10:38 PM
Appreciation is the only reason they are purchased.

All are displayed 24/7

Matches Malone
11-22-2013, 10:54 PM
Fantastic topic Bulls. I am as guilty as anyone of accumulating more pieces than I can truly appreciate. I have recently cut wayyyy back, but there is still room to pare back more. I do insist on keeping pieces displayed, and I am blessed with an accommodating family. Like many others I have started paring back and have been doing trades with one of the LCS' that I have a great relationship with. Anything that is a "break even" proposition on eBay goes there instead as to avoid the headache. I think that once the Christmas decorations come out so will a couple boxes to ship a large chunk of the collection out.

Print collecting was a nice distraction this year but that hobby brings me more grief than enjoyment so I will can that as well.

pdenham
11-22-2013, 11:24 PM
People seem to take it as a personal affront when I suggest that having many pieces on display all at the same time, in the same room is doing a disservice to ALL of them.
I understand the collector mentality. And I understand the notion of grouping characters together in natural teams or themes.

But I also understand some things about art in general- and that is how easy it is to lose the impact of something when you have a dozen other things, rendered to the same high degree, in the same view...all competing for attention.

In tandem with rotation (which I think is the #1 easiest way to reclaim some of the novelty of things you already own), packing most of them up and putting them away and giving fewer pieces more room to breathe is nearly just as essential.

jmo, of course. But I'm watching people unpacking their new Conan statues (that admittedly look quite cool) and I'm playing with the idea of unpacking my Prize and setting that out again...something I haven't seen or had out in over two years.
What are the odds I'm going to be bored pulling it out and looking at it again?

bzie
11-22-2013, 11:43 PM
Most important in this hobby is to have a 'proper' display of the statues and not keep in boxes (hoarding) or clutter it all up. Then only we can enjoy and admire them in the open, especially if the display is easily accessible eg. bedroom, living and not in a rarely visited place eg. attic/basement.

patrickwm68
11-22-2013, 11:49 PM
Since I drastically reduced my collection I appreciate more what I have. Before it was all about quantity, had to have them all. Get a new piece look at it for a bit then add it to the hoard.

SONICobra
11-22-2013, 11:58 PM
i have a small collection compared to most of you guys but I usually look at my statues once a day at least, I think theyre awesome - truly pieces of art. even the ones I have on order im picky about so my collection will never be huge and will always be appreciated :)

Darth Madden
11-23-2013, 12:18 AM
For a long time the answer for me was HELL YES. I would get something then 3 days latter be looking forward to the next thing shipping. I really didn't just take the time to look enjoy the things I had. I ended up selling off a lot of things and now (thanks mainly to the Star Wars Mythos statues which I could stair at for hours) I am really enjoying what I have kept.

Atheris
11-23-2013, 12:48 AM

I do this, sorta. I don't actually put them away...some of my pieces are so large it's a real pain in the a$$ to do this all the time. But I will stay out of my collection rooms for a few weeks to a month. Sometimes I don't even go back into those rooms until the next order shows up. Everything feels new again, plus I have a new piece to unbox in the process.

I've found the "gets old quickly" feeling happens with pretty much everything. I've bought cars that I couldn't wait to drive every day, which then tapered off. So I put the car covers on them and don't see them for a few months.

I'll tell you one thing that's never lost my interest though....nature. I swear I could walk through the same beautiful forest or look up at the stars every night with my telescope and it never gets old or boring. Same with my snake collection. I never get bored of the animals I keep or interacting with them. Material things have never been able to match that for me.

As much as I love this hobby and hobbies like it, I know it's hollow compared to what the universe offers.

Chris

ONEYE
11-23-2013, 01:01 AM
As much as I love this hobby and hobbies like it, I know it's hollow compared to what the universe offers.

Chris

http://oneye.unrealspawnboard.com/ONEYE-Kisielka/DoNotHotLink/goodpost.gif

JP Sarri
11-23-2013, 01:23 AM
+1 :goodpost:

pau123
11-23-2013, 03:21 AM
Exactly what Chris said. :iagree:

big blue
11-23-2013, 11:06 AM
yep iv had this feeling alot, once a statue comes i nearly forget about them. i dont have any statues on pre order at the monent, im taking a bit of a break

XMAN
11-23-2013, 12:29 PM

Chris
I agree...

It really comes down to having everything in your life in balance.Once you lean over to far to one side on anything you may lose connection with all the other things that this life has to offer.I appreciate what I have at the same time I know that it is but a small part in the grand scheme of things of life. I don't expect my collection to give me fulfillment....it is what it is and nothing more.with that being said I'm going out and enjoy the day.:drinking:

pdenham
11-23-2013, 01:15 PM
Harvey Pekar wrote a great short essay on the collector mindset. I'm sure a lot of people on this forum can relate.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-Dm1rVACKyb0/Tnj0ouRkZbI/AAAAAAAAAJE/dVDzZVpcbW8/s1600/image0000-1.jpg

http://www.metabunker.dk/wp-content/uploads/records.jpg

can't find the whole story, but it's well worth tracking down.

Halcyon
11-23-2013, 02:39 PM
Yup I agree Bulls , as a person who just opens and puts it back in the box the best part is actually waiting for the reveal and then waiting to see it for the first time and then in the box it goes and then onto the next statue.

A lot of the collectors here on SF put their statues after short inspection back in the box.

Can you tell us, what is the main reason you do this?
- Afraid it get dusty?
- Lose value if not kept mint in box?
- Pets/little kids running around?

Unfortunately I don't have large glass showcases either (to protect against dust), but put all my statues on oak shelves. Thats what they are made for, and only way for me to appreciate them. Otherwise I didn't buy them.

Halcyon
11-23-2013, 03:20 PM
how easy it is to lose the impact of something when you have a dozen other things, rendered to the same high degree, in the same view...all competing for attention.

Also depends how large the total collection is.
But true, some ppl don't understand that Less can be more.

What are the odds I'm going to be bored pulling it out and looking at it again?

None! The Prize is one of my true favorites and thus so looking forward for Fury of the Beast.

dechirico7
11-23-2013, 03:51 PM
I admit that most of my collectible purchases are for just a thrill. Eventually I grow bored of half of them and decide to sell. I am to the point now where I have refined my collection to the pieces I love. I still buy for thrills, but not as much as I used to. In the end, it becomes more of a hassle to sell. So, I try not to go as overboard as I used to. It does make you appreciate certain pieces.

Juggernaut
11-23-2013, 04:16 PM
My first statue that got me into collecting was Bowen Designs Galactus mini statue.

Then I had about 25 Bowen statues and sold all those to start on Sideshow statues.

I have been collecting Sideshow since.

As Bulls asked in post #1 no I don't apprecaite the statues I have, not as I should be. That's why I only have 3 statues in my collection and nothing on pre-order. Everything is sold or on sale already.

When I started I was excited for new statues and the ones I already have. I got a kick out of pre-ordering and a kick out of the excitement for the statues arrival and I got a kick out of displaying it and placing the statue the proper places.

Now I consider everything a hassle and not worth it.

I'm thinking about selling my last 3 statues and get out of collecting statues completely... It's tough though.

The 3 statues have not given up on completely are CM Predator, SS ADI Dog Alien, GG ESB kneeling Darth Vader.

Comicbookguy
11-23-2013, 04:25 PM
No, I don't appreciate what I have because Im always thinking I should have, could have everything. But I'm starting to learn to be more happy with what I have already. There's no need for have it all. I guess it's a life lesson for me. I need to beat myself in the head every time I try to buy so much. I don't feel the excitement as much for many statues. So down sizing feels really good. They are now more hassle then fun if I keep buying them too fast. The boxes, damage items, storage, space issues, just not fun when there's too many. I will just want a shelf full and that's it. When the shelf is full. I will sell some to make more room for the new ones I want more.

VS1976
11-23-2013, 04:48 PM
After collecting over a decade (& heavily in the last 5 years), I come to realize this hobby has one real drawback and that is storing the boxes. One of the biggest problem I have is self control lol. However with that said and done, I've slowed down some what this year (or maybe there isn't anything good this year) ;) This addiction is something that is somewhat out of control.

I look at what I have collected over the years and it's been fazes.

In the 80s to 90s - hockey cards
90s to 2000 - comic books
Mid 90s to present (slowing down thank god) Toys - transformers & McFarlane etc
2000 to present - statues

What's beyond this, I don't know. But I do appreciate the artistry & design of these statues. Luckily for me, after tomorrow (picking up Cammy EX PF), I have no more past statues to buy

But to answer the question, I appreciate what I have and is very grateful for it. I do know I will need to cutback my collecting sooner then later. That will be the hardest to make...what to buy and what not to buy.

I would like to thank a lot of peep here and SSF for getting to where my collection is. Without them, I probably wouldn't have gotten half of my collection. :)

Loops
11-23-2013, 05:08 PM
I try to appreciate what I have, while battling the "on to the next" mentality. With that in mind, I just cancelled two SS pre-orders.

JAWS
11-23-2013, 05:17 PM
I have tried to limit my collection to pieces that have had some sort of meaning in my childhood to early teen years that still hold up and I still love today.

Star Wars
JAWS
Hulk
Batman
Conan
Indiana Jones
etc..

All were things that I love in my youth and have all stood the test of time. Thus I love having them in my collection and I really appreciate them and admire the work and detail almost on a daily basis. The only reason I sell these classic characters is to upgrade to a better statue of the same character.

I have tried to collect more "modern" film pieces that I love but have found that they just don't hold my attention.. They look great but I grow bored with them because there is not that lifelong love for them. Thus I end up selling them.

So yes I appreciate what I already have.

CA35
11-23-2013, 06:21 PM
I have sold ALL my Sideshow statues. I do regret selling 3. Capt. America PF, Thor PF, and Red Skull PF. I did appreciate them, but honestly , I felt a little embarrassed by having these giant size comic book statues in my house for other people to see.Comics have always been my " dirty little secret". I currently have 3 statues from another company that are smaller and " tucked" away on my book shelf.

Loops
11-23-2013, 07:12 PM
I have sold ALL my Sideshow statues. I do regret selling 3. Capt. America PF, Thor PF, and Red Skull PF. I did appreciate them, but honestly , I felt a little embarrassed by having these giant size comic book statues in my house for other people to see.Comics have always been my " dirty little secret". I currently have 3 statues from another company that are smaller and " tucked" away on my book shelf.

You should never feel embarrassed about something you love :(

Spazzy
11-23-2013, 07:18 PM
I didn't at first I just kept wanting the new piece, but more so now since I sold off a lot of ones I had no attachment to and now have pieces I really love. I am now much more careful not to jump on te hype train and get what I want, prices don't help much either.

vorpoll
11-23-2013, 07:22 PM

I felt like this for a while and Im in my forties. We recently moved into a new house and my statue room is smaller but I proudly had my collection on display for all to see for our house warming party. I finally figured out these make me smile/happy so I found I don't care what others think about my collection because its for me.

Vracula
11-23-2013, 07:30 PM

That's a terrible feeling to have and most of us can relate but seriously U need to be proud of your collection,It is art after all,If you really begin describing them from an artistic point of view people usually shut up about them being toys because they usually are talentless themselves,I can guarantee you and I have seen this first hand anyone and I mean Anyone who is an artist or who appreciates art is completey enamored when they see the collection,absolutley taken aback, That is proof alone that what u collect is truly aomething special. I say bring them out and display them in a nice display case and enjoy and savor them and dont give a F$$&k!!!!

capchi3
11-23-2013, 07:43 PM
I have been collecting Comics, Toys, Movie Stuff and Building Models as far as i can remember, i stopped that along time ago. Then Bowen started into the pre-painted statues, the full size Spiderman was my first. Since we all had bills, buying Statues was bought when we had extra money. This is why i didn't accumulated many the first several years. My sole 5ft wide 6ft tall glass commerical display case at the time was very slowly being filed. My downfall has been the last 7 years that i accumulated all of my 1/4 scale but didn't have the space to display them because we moved into an apartment and with no extra room they mainly stayed in the box. It is just recently that one of my kids moved out and i finally have my collectible room. I have been working on it since this this july. It's been slow going because i just have too much stuff, ( 40years of stuff ), will probably only able to display 75% of my stuff. The empty boxes have already fill up my garage, it's an on going problem on where to store them. But essentially i still have the passion to collect statues, just have to buy only if i feel that wow factor at first glance. The increase in these prices are also becoming a major factor, some of the prices just don't make sense. I do love what i have and i will be slowing down buying and enjoy what i do have.

Maverick177uk
11-23-2013, 07:54 PM
I've decided to just collect movie based statues along with the Mythos range. Star Wars is my main with a couple of LOTR pieces on the way, I think that will be it then I've run out if room, money and I've got a one year old daughter who I'd rather spend my money on. The other day I got my grievous PF out if storage for first time in two years because I've got a custom cape it's like having a whole new statue. Once I eventually get them displayed properly I will only get a new one if I sell another, I don't have the room for the boxes either.

coolandwarm
11-23-2013, 08:50 PM
I really dont care what others that see my collection say if its negative. It brings happiness and memories of a great time past and present. I play sports watch sports and when friends see what I appreciate other than what they have in common with me they all have been wowed and the. ones that may see it like a. Waste of time well thats their opinion and maybe sometbing they like is a waste of time to others but I would never feel embarrassed.

Live life to the fullest with what makes you live!!!!!

XMAN
11-23-2013, 09:28 PM

The way I see it.....unless you're paying my bills,I don't care what anybody thinks....

zeus
11-23-2013, 09:42 PM
What YOU do is what makes you happy,not what OTHERS think make you happy.I though i was the only one that was collecting stuff,untill a friend of mine showed me his KISS room with actual pinball,and an other with 35 Michael Jordan shoes wich i didn't even know bout

Nidgit
11-23-2013, 11:13 PM

I have my iPhone loaded with statue pics and I'll bore the hell out of anyone silly enough to ask :p

And I do 'appreciate' what I have, but if I'm honest I don't really have the time to enjoy it. This working 5 - 6 days a week thing is BS :bawling:

Matches Malone
11-23-2013, 11:19 PM
If people can't appreciate you for who you are you don't need them in your circle IMHO. I am blessed to have family and friend that are cool with my obsessions.

Nitefall
11-24-2013, 12:22 AM

:jawd: The person or people who made you feel this way are people to be pitied. They are missing out on enjoying some of the best art there is. But what is even more pitiable is that they lack empathetic capability. Sadly, you can lead a horse to water but you cannot make him drink. However you can definitely learn to ignore him. :)

COI
11-24-2013, 12:51 AM
I do this, sorta. I don't actually put them away...some of my pieces are so large it's a real pain in the a$$ to do this all the time. But I will stay out of my collection rooms for a few weeks to a month. Sometimes I don't even go back into those rooms until the next order shows up. Everything feels new again, plus I have a new piece to unbox in the process.

I've found the "gets old quickly" feeling happens with pretty much everything. I've bought cars that I couldn't wait to drive every day, which then tapered off. So I put the car covers on them and don't see them for a few months.

I'll tell you one thing that's never lost my interest though....nature. I swear I could walk through the same beautiful forest or look up at the stars every night with my telescope and it never gets old or boring. Same with my snake collection. I never get bored of the animals I keep or interacting with them. Material things have never been able to match that for me.

Chris

I completely agree.

Material possessions are nice, but as soon as you begin ascribing too much significance or misguided sentiment to them, you're setting yourself up for disappointment.

People and experiences are what matter in the end.

JP Sarri
11-24-2013, 01:37 AM
I completely agree.

Material possessions are nice, but as soon as you begin ascribing too much significance or misguided sentiment to them, you're setting yourself up for disappointment.

People and experiences are what matter in the end.

Agree.

StatueJunky
11-24-2013, 01:31 PM
I want to say yes, but when I really think about it, I think it is the hunt for statues that I enjoy more than the statues themselves. When I get one in I can't wait to open it, set it up admire it, and then onto the next one.
This is probably why I don't do any illicit substances.

BarrelCannon
11-24-2013, 02:13 PM
I appreciate everything I have. Sure, I'm not totally focused on my statues every moment of the day, but when I see them I always feel happy.

There's only 1 piece in my collection that I lost interest in and sold, and that was due to me buying it with the intention of "completing the line" that the statue was in. After the initial wow washed away I realized it was stupid and I should just collect pieces I like and not to complete a set. I personally feel that collectors who collect to just complete a set are doomed to have a lousier collecting experience compared to people who collect only pieces they adore. For example I have no intention of completing the pop culture street fighter collection, and I have the money to get all the pieces at their inflated ebay prices if I want, I just don't want a bunch of the pieces in the line.

ratchet
11-24-2013, 02:23 PM
Sometimes I wonder if I really appreciate the collection I already have. Far too often a piece arrives and the excitement dissipates within minutes. It's onto he next piece. I know we all probably look at our collections everyday but do we really appreciate them? Personally I've slowed right down from the heady days of three or four years ago. I've only three pieces on order. There was a time when I'd have ten on the to at any one time. Space restrictions, licenses I'm most interested in slowing down etc have played their part. But more and more i study the collection and appreciate what I have and wonder do I really need any more.

Apart from the three I have on order the only other one I would buy with certainty is a Wonder Woman PF. And I think that will be that.

You don't usually have good points, Bulls - but this is the exception! Great message and spot on!

MonsterBalls
11-24-2013, 02:29 PM
I cancelled all my orders except for one. This month I saved enuff to make someone else`s Xmas much more merrier. The amount I would've spent on Sideshow pieces this year would've been staggering had it not been for a mod on this forum...

I've never felt better for taking such advice! HOORAY

BRING ON JEAN!

XMAN
11-24-2013, 02:40 PM
I don't believe anyone really needs to quit the hobby....But that depends on what this hobby is to you....for me this hobby is not based on what size your collection is or how many pieces you have on order.....But it is based on having a piece that triggers a good memory that can be displayed and enjoyed.....My advice is to only buy what you can connect with and truly love. Don't buy something just because everyone else seems to be buying it or simply just because it's beautiful.....Reason why I skipped the queen of the dead....There will always be beautiful pieces released....stay away from the secondary market as a source for your collection ....there will always be something else.:dork:....here's to good sound and healthy collecting..:drinking:

ichiro51
11-24-2013, 02:49 PM
What a thought provoking thread….

I have chased some pretty pricey statues, coming to the hobby a little late. I enjoy the "hunt" and I'm happy when I first receive them.

Then I go days without really looking at them. I guess that's your answer on whether I appreciate my collection.

But…last night while I was working at my desk, I turned all all of my lights in the Besta's (which I rarely do unless I have a friend over).

I kept glancing behind me at my collection and it made me feel good.

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/t445/ichiro51/Statues/Mixed%20Statues/IMG_2819_zpsa1e1c611.jpg (http://s1060.photobucket.com/user/ichiro51/media/Statues/Mixed%20Statues/IMG_2819_zpsa1e1c611.jpg.html)

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/t445/ichiro51/Statues/Mixed%20Statues/IMG_2821_zps3c5b8afa.jpg (http://s1060.photobucket.com/user/ichiro51/media/Statues/Mixed%20Statues/IMG_2821_zps3c5b8afa.jpg.html)

So… I still appreciate what I have… just need to remind myself to enjoy them more. Thanks for the reminder.

PS .. although I like the idea of rotating statues, I have had some minor tragedies when I've moved statues around (cap's shield falling was the worst). I've decided that moving things around will be kept to a minimum.

Fremen
11-24-2013, 03:23 PM
I love everything I have and feel so lucky to be able to even have stuff like this. I get lost looking at it. I don't have a fire place so I curl up with my warm coffee and look at this stuff instead.

XMAN
11-24-2013, 03:32 PM
I love everything I have and feel so lucky to be able to even have stuff like this. I get lost looking at it. I don't have a fire place so I curl up with my warm coffee and look at this stuff instead.

you're not alone..:thumbs2:

Fremen
11-24-2013, 03:38 PM
you're not alone..:thumbs2:

:buttrock::buttrock::dork:

SolidLiquidFox
11-24-2013, 04:08 PM
nerds.

:D

Atheris
11-24-2013, 04:29 PM
I watched this last night and by then end I wanted to sell everything I had and buy a Tesla. Even our hobbies are killing this planet it's insane. It's sad and pretty disturbing. When you look at the money we spend on these statues and the things collectors complain about vs what's really important in this life...I feel ashamed. It's nice to amerce yourself in a hobby, but not if it blinds you to the effect you're having on the world. Commercialism and consumerism have turned us into mindless slaves. We collectors are the perfect example.

http://youtu.be/UxcophNGLdg

http://i1189.photobucket.com/albums/z425/atheris666/81308a4c4a21f6abcd2bb4a33bb2d733_zps3d8a2e81.jpg

Chris

Nidgit
11-24-2013, 06:11 PM
I watched this last night and by then end I wanted to sell everything I had and buy a Tesla. Even our hobbies are killing this planet it's insane. It's sad and pretty disturbing. When you look at the money we spend on these statues and the things collectors complain about vs what's really important in this life...I feel ashamed. It's nice to amerce yourself in a hobby, but not if it blinds you to the effect you're having on the world. Commercialism and consumerism have turned us into mindless slaves. We collectors are the perfect example.

http://i1189.photobucket.com/albums/z425/atheris666/81308a4c4a21f6abcd2bb4a33bb2d733_zps3d8a2e81.jpg

Chris

by then end I wanted to sell everything I had and buy a Tesla

Yeah, but I bet you don't :p

Vracula
11-24-2013, 06:21 PM
We are not killing this planet we are killing our chances to survive as a species on this planet.

SuicideAnomaly
11-24-2013, 06:24 PM
I appreciate my collectibles, but do they appreciate me?:sly2:

Atheris
11-24-2013, 06:42 PM
Yeah, but I bet you don't :p

Well....not right away lol

But I'm honestly looking into trading out my daily drivers for electric.

Chris

WantIt_NeedIt
11-24-2013, 07:25 PM
Interesting to read all the responses from those that have been collecting for years.

I'm very new to the hobby. I just recently acquired enough pieces to fill my one and only display case, a detolf. I'm in an apartment and the second bedroom is used for my video games/collectibles. I go in every morning to put my shoes on before heading out to work. I love looking at my statues and figures.

However, i realize this is is a very expensive hobby. As such, I limit myself to a certain $ amount each year to spend on my collectibles. This forces me to only get pieces I LOVE (because there are MANY i really like but never get).

Secondly, I've decided that once I've purchased a home I will get a besta combination for my TV/collectibles. A 3X1 on each side with the tv between. Once those and my detolf are filled, I'm done. If I want something new I will be selling something old to get it.

Lastly, I browse EBAY somewhat regularly to see what pieces are selling for. One good thing about this hobby that I've experienced so far is that things tend to hold their value if not go up. If I see something selling for twice as much as i paid for it, it's going. I only collect dc/marvel and with the hype of hollywood I know they will be releasing more and more of the pieces I like. So i know I'll be able to replace a character in due time and put some money in my pocket as well.

As for time...i definitely spend WAY too much time on the forums LOL. But oh well, i enjoy it.

Wurmtongue
11-24-2013, 10:48 PM
I would appreciate my collection if I could actually hang on to the pieces I collect. Far too often I have to sell the pieces I acquire because of financial situations. But..as my girlfriend says, one day I'll get all my statues back, just hurts to see new ones come out and have to tell myself maybe one day....

CessnaDriver
11-24-2013, 11:18 PM

Chris

Watch "How the Earth Was Made." sometime.
Anything we have done or will ever do, is but a tiny fraction of time, all human history really, a mere eye blink in the grand tale of this planet.
Relax a bit, it's a little bit of resin and paint.

PureInvasion
11-24-2013, 11:45 PM
I definitely don't have a large collection but I really love the pieces I do own. For me, they represent my favourite statues regardless of their value.
Like many though, I have been cutting down and selling a bunch off...
All my Koto DC Bishoujos are now gone (had the whole set)...
All of my Koto Classic Avengers are now gone (also had the whole set)...
All of my DC Direct pieces that are not the Batman Black and White line are gone...
All Hot Toys figures are also gone...

I just realized that if I don't love them then there is no point in owning them. Better to pass them off to someone who will cherish them (...and making some profit on the side always helps too :D )

In the past month, I've made $3700 selling pieces and I still have a few more to get rid of.

With that cash, I went and bought a puppy and picked him up this past Thursday. In just a few days he's already brought me and my wife more happiness than my collection ever has.

As Atheris (Chris) mentioned earlier...material possessions are nice but there is so much better out there in the world just waiting to be discovered.

I have 3 SS pieces on order and 2 more Batman Black and White pieces. After that, I won't say I'm done collecting but they will have to be pretty damn amazing to get my attention.

VaultMan
11-25-2013, 12:00 AM
I think so...I've only allowed myself to buy what I absolutel wild about...and even so, things are getting a bit...larger...

I think selling some old Bowens would probably help me out with that...

ratchet
11-25-2013, 12:32 AM
I definitely don't have a large collection but I really love the pieces I do own. For me, they represent my favourite statues regardless of their value.
Like many though, I have been cutting down and selling a bunch off...
All my Koto DC Bishoujos are now gone (had the whole set)...
All of my Koto Classic Avengers are now gone (also had the whole set)...
All of my DC Direct pieces that are not the Batman Black and White line are gone...
All Hot Toys figures are also gone...

I just realized that if I don't love them then there is no point in owning them. Better to pass them off to someone who will cherish them (...and making some profit on the side always helps too :D )

In the past month, I've made $3700 selling pieces and I still have a few more to get rid of.

With that cash, I went and bought a puppy and picked him up this past Thursday. In just a few days he's already brought me and my wife more happiness than my collection ever has.

As Atheris (Chris) mentioned earlier...material possessions are nice but there is so much better out there in the world just waiting to be discovered.

I have 3 SS pieces on order and 2 more Batman Black and White pieces. After that, I won't say I'm done collecting but they will have to be pretty damn amazing to get my attention.

That's really awesome. I feel the same at this point - I had so much that at this point it really has to be amazing to make me take notice.

Jealous of the new pup - what kind of dog did you get?

SONICobra
11-25-2013, 02:58 AM
I think part of why I appreciate what I have so much is that getting back into this hobby allowed me to take my mind off some injuries I was dealing with at the time. I was pretty frustrated but taking my mind off it a little bit allowed me to heal and now im back in the gym. so whenever I look at these statues it reminds me of where I was and am now - and they just look pretty awesome too

XMAN
11-25-2013, 03:04 AM
Good to know you're doing well...:thumbs2:

ReplicantSavior
11-25-2013, 03:21 AM
I think many of you guys are going about it wrong. If you were to get a sportscar would you do a 0-60 run without breaking it in and be finished? What about looking at the car in your garage from different angles and seeing all the small points of interest the designers put in. How about artwork? Would you frame it and that's it? Not look at the lines, colors, and small details? I remember a few people in the videogame thread talking about how they play games once and done. Perhaps some games are only worth one play through. But real games with gameplay no way will even a gamer (a real gamer not just someone who plays videogames) get the gameplay down on one play through. How about movies? Many details and performances I didn't notice till multiple viewings. I know for a fact most don't notice the stuff going from reviews and options posted on other forums and here. Lastly, statues. I don't have all my statues displayed. But it's a work in progress to get them displayed properly. Not just so I can see the front like in those cabinets many here have. But the whole piece. I remember someone pointing out the carving on Mark Brooks' Psylocke. You can't see that from the front only. I displayed my Aayla Secura on my desk for a while and found a really good angle that shows off the beauty of her facial sculpt. I didn't find that till after a few days. The only reason she's not still displayed is because I want a Star Wars section setup so I can run the lightsabers to a permanent switch and display Aayla with Shaak Ti and their Star Wars Jedi comic covers. Like I said, it's a work in progress and I do appreciate what I have. And I will even more when everything is setup like I want it.

Maybe everyone here is either a different generation or many corporations message of everything being simple "content" and newer is better has worked on you guys. But I don't collect either. Which many here do. I've never had massive amounts on pre-order. I get statues of my favorite characters. I don't get a piece because it's a grail or rare. It's very rare that I get multiples of the same character. Take the Lara Croft Adam Hughes PF. I doubt a better version will come out. And if another Lara comes out it will be the new version. The pieces I have are going no where so it's rare that I move to the next "new" thing, passing on what I feel are perfect versions of my favorite characters.

PureInvasion
11-25-2013, 04:38 AM
That's really awesome. I feel the same at this point - I had so much that at this point it really has to be amazing to make me take notice.

Jealous of the new pup - what kind of dog did you get?

A Labradoodle (there's a there's in the general section that has a few pics) :D

Blacksunn
11-25-2013, 03:04 PM
I'm just curious what everyone considers a large collection.

5-10-30-50-100+???

ReplicantSavior
11-25-2013, 03:18 PM
A large statue collection to me is in the over 5 range. Especially if they are Sideshow PF scale pieces.

nbr3bagshotrow
11-25-2013, 03:20 PM

5-10-30-50-100+???
My 70+ Eaglemoss pieces are actually a small collection.:rolleyes2

Y3E
11-25-2013, 03:23 PM

5-10-30-50-100+???

I think that depends on the sizes of your pieces. I have 129 pieces of varying sizes; 55 are 1/4 sizes, 10 are 1/5 amd the rest ranges from 1/6 to 1/8, but I don't consider that a lot. But, I don't have my pieces out yet so I may sing a different tune when I do.

El Diablo
11-25-2013, 03:57 PM

Chris

Chris

:thinking: can one of the mods check Chris's account I think it's been hacked by greenpeace.

C-Born
11-25-2013, 04:33 PM
How bout this, would anyone here change their minds about keeping ALL of the statues that you've bought if you had unlimited and super sweet display space?? space like that one guy from south korea with the restaurant/statue museum....

SideShowJoe
11-25-2013, 04:55 PM
How bout this, would anyone here change their minds about keeping ALL of the statues that you've bought if you had unlimited and super sweet display space?? space like that one guy from south korea with the restaurant/statue museum....

If I had that kind of space all our collection would be displayed but most of my collection is still in boxes and will be until we upgrade house or downgrade and sell some of our collection!!

And to answer the question of this thread! I think all of us are very appreciative of the collectibles we have but sometimes we take them for granted and that's easy to do! For instance just the other day I went to our garage and stumbled upon a few older figures I didn't even know we had owned! How can you even appreciate a piece if you don't know it's even there!

I feel that most of our issues ahead lie with seeing what's next and wanting the next big collectible than sitting back and admiring what's already in front of us on our shelves! I know we embrace that every once in awhile but lately We've been more concerned with what I have on hand than what's coming in 2014!! I think if I keep this mindset to it will boost the $$$ in my wallet!

Sarah

risingstar
11-25-2013, 04:58 PM

I'd still sell off the older versions if only to keep the collection looking top notch. Statues from the early/mid 90s and those from 2013 don't display well together at all.

Matches Malone
11-25-2013, 05:13 PM
I feel that most of our issues ahead lie with seeing what's next and wanting the next big collectible than sitting back and admiring what's already in front of us on our shelves! I know we embrace that every once in awhile but lately We've been more concerned with what I have on hand than what's coming in 2014!! I think if I keep this mindset to it will boost the $$$ in my wallet!

I sense that this thread has inspired a lot of New Years resolutions:p

travis
11-25-2013, 05:19 PM

Space and money you need both.

Atheris
11-25-2013, 06:05 PM
:thinking: can one of the mods check Chris's account I think it's been hacked by greenpeace.

:laugh:

I've always been an advocate for wildlife, nature and conservation. Anyone who knows me personally knows I'm very passionate about the topic, I just don't talk about it much on the forums. It angers me when I see how animals are inhumanly treated same with our planet. And when I say anger I mean Hulk out anger. I've been in a few scraps with people I've caught abusing animals in the past.

I don't even kill spiders when I find them in the house. I pick them up and bring them outside. I don't think I would be able to join green peace because I don't have the restraint to not bash someone's head in when I see them hurting animals.

Chris

XMAN
11-25-2013, 08:17 PM
There's no question that some folks here are very concern about display space.
If I were sideshow I would be concerned as well....I mean where do they expect us to put all of this stuff anyway?

rykerw1701
11-26-2013, 11:28 AM
A great thread. I love reading about what goes through our heads as collectors more than wish lists or Sideshow complaints. I struggle with the question of do I need yet another statue of _______ (fill in the blank). I rotate most of the collection twice per year, and some of my stuff never seems to make it out on display. I'm pretty sure I'm not appreciating the perennial box dwellers much. I look at on line displays carefully and note in fairly frequent trips to museums how they display things in order to showcase them best. As a rule, less is more, which goes against the impulse of nearly everyone of us. But for example, with just three Cover Girls on risers on a shelf in my Detolf, I can focus more in each one.

Conversely, with five boxes of stored statues stacked on top of a wooden pallet in the basement, I probably don't appreciate them so much.

mrslick32
11-26-2013, 10:36 PM
For me, it's about variety. I love most of the statues I already have. However, after seeing the same statues on display for a while, my eyes look for something new to look at. That's the reason why I try to collect different lines. It's also a blessing that I don't have enough space to display my whole collection because I can rotate what's on display if I wanted to. :)

Submissive421
11-26-2013, 10:49 PM
I love the fact that I enjoy what I have and admire what others have that I do. I can't say my collection is the biggest. But I couldn't afford all the characters in a line anyway. I enjoy the fact that my collection is small and I have enjoyed the search for some of these. I bought most of the ones I wanted and look forward to the new. I haven't gone overboard so I can display most of them properly.

JP Sarri
11-26-2013, 11:10 PM
Change is always good. My resolution every year has been: collect, get rid off and collect again. I don't have a problem in selling off all of my collectibles to get some more. After all, life is short and having the same display gets old after awhile.

Those pieces that I sold, I don't even miss. I sold them for peanuts and now you cannot find them for less than a grand!! I don't regret it, because it was fun to own them, but I and my collection have already moved on. I only look forward to the things to come, and my "grails to get" list is still long. Eventually those pieces will be mine, and I will sell them again, after awhile. It is the thrill of the hunt for me.

nbr3bagshotrow
11-26-2013, 11:22 PM
Change is always good. My resolution every year has been: collect, get rid off and collect again. I don't have a problem in selling off all of my collectibles to get some more. After all, life is short and having the same display gets old after awhile.

Those pieces that I sold, I don't even miss. I sold them for peanuts and now you cannot find them for less than a grand!! I don't regret it, because it was fun to own them, but I and my collection have already moved on. I only look forward to the things to come, and my "grails to get" list is still long. Eventually those pieces will be mine, and I will sell them again, after awhile. It is the thrill of the hunt for me.

http://www.blacklibrary.com/Images/Product/DefaultBL/xlarge/Thrill-of-the-Hunt.jpg

JP Sarri
11-26-2013, 11:40 PM
http://www.blacklibrary.com/Images/Product/DefaultBL/xlarge/Thrill-of-the-Hunt.jpg

Cool!! I will probably download the ebook. I like the warhammer games. ;)

dr.banner
11-27-2013, 12:26 AM
I try and get the two best representations of some of my favorite characters and then decide which one I prefer and then sell off the other. Unless it's the hulk then almost every hulk is good in my book.

Dragoncurry
11-27-2013, 03:59 PM
There's as much to collecting this stuff as being able to properly display it in it's own space so I enjoy the whole thing a lot. I am currently redesigning my room, and building it while keeping in mind the best way to showcase different scale figures (I paint warhammer, collect 1/6 Portrait of Pirates and Hot Toys, have two 1/5s Campbells coming in, and a 1/4 PFs like Hulk and Dhalsim), is just as awesme to me as collecting itself!

PermaGrin
11-27-2013, 05:32 PM
I hope to be an old man with a room full of cool representations of memories of things from the past.

Movies I watched too many time. Game I played too much of. Etc.

When I was little/teen, it was action figure sized stuff.
Little older and all throughout I slowly collect posters.
Now with I can finally start on the things that I always looked/wanted to get, but were too pricey as a kid.

neomatrix99
11-27-2013, 09:13 PM

well said :iagree:

Batstat73
11-27-2013, 10:08 PM
To sum it all up in a one word answer following an unnecessary sentence...Yes!

Thor57
11-28-2013, 02:22 AM
I havent read through the entire thread yet, but to answer the base question........yes, I damn sure do.

I just started collecting. Always admired the art and hobby, but afraid to pull the trigger. But I have recently started. All I have right now is Modern Thor museum from Bowen and Arthas Lich King from SS. And I love them. But I see the complaints on Arthas, and while the cape not going all the way under his armor is odd, I still think that statue is beautiful. Maybe I havent seen and owned enough to appreciate true art, but man I love what I have. I'm deployed in the middle east right now, and waiting on me when I get home will be Gladiator Hulk (on pre order) Battle Damaged T-800 (on pre-order) and Bowens Action Thor which I ordered from a collector who no longer wanted. I also will look into in the future Deathwing (depending on cost) and the Premium Format Freddie Krueger.