PDA

View Full Version : Universe vs Universe - another Australian comic convention

Wrothy
12-29-2013, 05:09 AM
Hi guys

Just thought I'd draw your attention to the fact that there is another comic convention starting up in Australia, which will be in Melbourne on 21/22 February 2015 at the Crown Conference Centre.

When they get to 500 likes on their Facebook page, they will announce the first of their five guests. Should be interesting to see who they have lined up.

http://www.facebook.com/UniverseVsUniverse is the link.

Royd
12-29-2013, 06:04 AM
Just been checking out their Facebook page - no website as far as I can see. I was curious as to who's running it and what sort of credibility they have - not being negative, just wondering what their background is :)

Looks like they have a good venue (depending on what sort of space they've booked) and I'm also intrigued to see whom they'll announce as their first 5 guests.

Another comics-related convention (although they appear to be primarily comics based) in Melbourne! That makes 4 comics-related shows in Melbourne including Supanova, OzCC, Armageddon and now UvU - crikey!

Not sure about their timing because most people will still be recovering from Christmas/New Year expenditure *shrug*

Wrothy
12-29-2013, 07:53 AM
Looks like it's run by a group called Australian Fandom Conventions, who have apparently "run 10 conventions over the last 7 years in NSW, VIC, SA and WA". From what I can find online, it seems to be mostly 'furry' conventions, so I guess we'll have to wait and see. ;)

Royd
12-29-2013, 08:12 AM
Thanks for info mate! "Furries" huh? Interesting! :)

Looks like it's run by a group called Australian Fandom Conventions, who have apparently "run 10 conventions over the last 7 years in NSW, VIC, SA and WA". From what I can find online, it seems to be mostly 'furry' conventions, so I guess we'll have to wait and see. ;)

mez
12-29-2013, 12:34 PM
I'm interested to see who they bring out but the event description so far makes me not want to go.

lordrycon
12-29-2013, 06:58 PM
I'm curious as to what they have planned, we have people who are well connected and generally in the know on this board (Royd, Rod). It concerns me that no one seems to know much about this.
What I mean by that is, I imagine that if they were connected enough to go after big name comics guests, then considering that Australia is a small pond, that someone would know who these guys are and what they are capable of.
Hopefully they can pull it off, I would love to go to a straight out comic convention :)

Rocket
12-30-2013, 07:29 AM
Yeah watching with interest. Fanboy Rod wants it to work out. Realist Rod isnt too excited at the moment :p

mez
12-30-2013, 09:59 AM
It's in 2015 by the way.

Wrothy
12-30-2013, 11:14 AM
It's in 2015 by the way.

Oops! Initial post edited.

That makes a lot more sense - trying to get people to buy tickets for a con in less than two months with no details available would be doomed to failure.

Only 13 more likes to go until we find out the name of the first guest.

lordrycon
12-30-2013, 07:00 PM
I dont see how a comics only convention could make money unless they arent paying the artists and writers to attend.

Big names in comics would have an appearance fee for international shows I imagine, and there arent enough sole comics fans to warrant a stand along convention IMO.

Even some of the cross format conventions (Nova, Arma, Oz-Con etc) can sometimes be light on attendance and they are appealing to a wide range of fandoms.

The more conventions that I go to, the more I realise that it is the same group of people who are the comic fans who are queuing for commissions and sketches at every con. That's not a bad thing, it just seems that there is a very small but dedicated bunch of collectors, but not enough to fill a convention centre.

Wrothy
12-30-2013, 08:05 PM
Well, the first guest has been announced.

Chris Burnham, artist on Batman Incorporated and co-creator of Officer Downe.

Wrothy
12-30-2013, 08:10 PM
I dont see how a comics only convention could make money unless they arent paying the artists and writers to attend.

Big names in comics would have an appearance fee for international shows I imagine, and there arent enough sole comics fans to warrant a stand along convention IMO.

Even some of the cross format conventions (Nova, Arma, Oz-Con etc) can sometimes be light on attendance and they are appealing to a wide range of fandoms.

The more conventions that I go to, the more I realise that it is the same group of people who are the comic fans who are queuing for commissions and sketches at every con. That's not a bad thing, it just seems that there is a very small but dedicated bunch of collectors, but not enough to fill a convention centre.

I get what you mean, but I believe it is extremely rare for a comics creator to ask for an appearance fee.

There's also the possibility that given the name of the convention, perhaps they will look at getting comic-related TV/movie guests.

Again, it's definitely a case of a wait-and-see approach I think. They certainly have an initial burst of interest, but the ball is now in their court to provide more details on their intentions.

lordrycon
01-06-2014, 08:09 PM
tickets are apparently going on sale in Feb I believe I read, with the second guest being announced at the same time.

lordrycon
01-06-2014, 08:10 PM
with tickets over 12 months before the event, they sure are trying to build up the hype

Wrothy
01-06-2014, 08:20 PM
It will be interesting to see how their prices compare to the more movie/TV star-based conventions.

lordrycon
01-10-2014, 12:24 AM
as recently posted on their Facebook Page UvU has started an Indiegogo campaign to help fund their con...

Im not sure I like this idea, it makes me even more skeptical than I already was.

Rocket
01-10-2014, 01:10 AM
BAHAHAHAHAHAHA

I'm reading the pledges and rewards and this is EASILY the most hilarious thing I'll ever see in 2014!!!!

OMG I can't breathe!!! There's more chance of me being announced EIC at Marvel than there is of the CON (see what I did there) going ahead!!!

I like how they say "help make this happen" and also how they say even if the con doesn't happen, no refund of monetary pledges will occur!!!

Rocket
01-10-2014, 01:11 AM
An 85.00 pledge gets you a t shirt and a signed book by a guest AND a certificate of appreciation!!! OMG I can't breathe Hahahahaha

Rocket
01-10-2014, 01:15 AM
It will be interesting to see how their prices compare to the more movie/TV star-based conventions.

According to the "reward" tiers on the crowd funding they plan on charging for sigs and pics with guys like Andy Runton.... Hahahahahaha

Rocket
01-10-2014, 01:16 AM
I'm all for people having a crack and trying to make something happen but this is officially laughable and completely unfair to the guests they have no doubt made false promises to

Rocket
01-10-2014, 01:27 AM
Compare that 9 THOUSAND DOLLAR pledge reward to what 9k could get you in commissions :laugh: and the best part is, if they don't hit 30k they simply keep your nine grand!!

Wrothy
01-10-2014, 01:42 AM
That is certainly a red flag, particularly given that they have used the flexible funding option, which means they get all the money donated even if they do not reach their target.

I see they've announced their second guest too - Andy Runton of 'Owly' fame.

For a convention touting "up to five of the biggest names in comic book creation", I'm not seeing anything stellar yet.

lordrycon
01-10-2014, 01:43 AM
I KNOW RIGHT!!!!!

You either have the assets to take a gamble and back yourself to put on a great show and make money, or you dont. It is that simple.

Better yet, show some proper planning and get a business loan from a bank.

I'm drawing a line in the sand, even if this CON goes ahead, I will not be attending because I don't believe they have fandom in mind only ripping cash out of people.

Wrothy
01-10-2014, 01:44 AM
Had my previous message ready go before I went to lunch and just hit send, so didn't see Rod's comments until now.

I agree totally mate, this is looking very dodgy indeed.

lordrycon
01-10-2014, 01:47 AM
Honestly, I would be more interested in a smaller convention that focuses on Aussie talent and artists...

I would pay to go to a comics only convention that had the likes of Tom Taylor, Colin Wilson, David Yardin, Nicola Scott, Paul Abtruse, Tristan Jones, Stewart McKenny, Jon Sommariva, Dean Rankine, Chamba and up n comers like Luke Andrew and Chris McQuinlan.

Support Aussie talent, thats what I say.

Wrothy
01-10-2014, 01:48 AM
And note the 100 Beta grade and 100 Alpha grade passes. So they have a front row for 5 people and a second row for 200? :hilarious:

lordrycon
01-10-2014, 01:59 AM
anyone know or dealt with this Pete Smith before??

blink90210
01-10-2014, 03:18 AM
I am a legit fan of Andy Runton, I have a soft toy of Owly to prove it.
The way the organizers are trying to make it happen though, I doubt I'll be able to shake his hand on local shores.

blink90210
01-10-2014, 03:19 AM
Honestly, I would be more interested in a smaller convention that focuses on Aussie talent and artists...

I would pay to go to a comics only convention that had the likes of Tom Taylor, Colin Wilson, David Yardin, Nicola Scott, Paul Abtruse, Tristan Jones, Stewart McKenny, Jon Sommariva, Dean Rankine, Chamba and up n comers like Luke Andrew and Chris McQuinlan.

Support Aussie talent, thats what I say.

:goodpost:

Rocket
01-10-2014, 03:32 AM
And note the 100 Beta grade and 100 Alpha grade passes. So they have a front row for 5 people and a second row for 200? :hilarious:

The mind boggles :laugh:

Rocket
01-10-2014, 03:33 AM
Honestly, all of us Aussies here could have brainstormed a better business model in half a day than what has been presented so far.

Royd
01-10-2014, 07:27 AM
I did see their pledges/rewards earlier today but was so stunned I couldn't comment until now!

Woody
01-10-2014, 10:45 PM
So, anyway......... I'm running WoodyCon in Adelaide in 2016 guys. Going to be the best thing ever.

Give me 9K each. Now. OK?

Please note: WoodyCon does not exist and money remitted will never be refunded.

Rocket
01-11-2014, 04:09 AM
I did see their pledges/rewards earlier today but was so stunned I couldn't comment until now!

So, anyway......... I'm running WoodyCon in Adelaide in 2016 guys. Going to be the best thing ever.

:hilarious: :hilarious:

lordrycon
01-11-2014, 05:43 AM
in all seriousness, an Aussie focused comic convention would be killer if enough interested talent could attend.

if you look at the penetration Aussies are starting to have in the industry with Tom, Nicola and David working for the big two and all of the freaking awesome stuff coming out of Gestalt it isnt unreasonable to want to see more public exposure.

another example is Craig Bruyn's book From Above, its incredible.

the only invites i would send out international would be to editors who may enjoy seeing some new talent, like guys from Dynamite etc...

By fans, for fans and not strictly for profit.

halfthai
01-11-2014, 06:32 AM

Now this sounds like a much more legitimate event. Time to 'Start Kick'ing!

Royd
01-11-2014, 07:48 AM
Love the fine print :hilarious:

Royd
01-11-2014, 07:56 AM
Leaving aside the jokes, I like the idea of a comics-focussed convention, however, I'm not sure how viable it would be in attracting sufficient fan support?

Also, I heartily concur with your comments about the number of Aussie producing quality work for the majors and for other companies (Gestalt etc.). Some are my clients/friends but that came after I first encountered their impressive work!

That said, I'm often told by fellow comics fans that while they enjoy seeing Aussie creators at the shows, they are drawn (no pun intended) to particular shows by the international guests whom they can't afford to travel to see at US-based (or other) cons! The Aussie creators can be seen at one or more of Supanova, OzCC, Armageddon etc. every year but not the international guests.

The promoter has to consider carefully which guests he/she will invite.

in all seriousness, an Aussie focused comic convention would be killer if enough interested talent could attend.

if you look at the penetration Aussies are starting to have in the industry with Tom, Nicola and David working for the big two and all of the freaking awesome stuff coming out of Gestalt it isnt unreasonable to want to see more public exposure.

another example is Craig Bruyn's book From Above, its incredible.

the only invites i would send out international would be to editors who may enjoy seeing some new talent, like guys from Dynamite etc...

By fans, for fans and not strictly for profit.

lordrycon
01-15-2014, 12:30 AM
LOL 5 days into their Indiegogo campaign and they have only had 1 backer.

mez
01-16-2014, 08:59 PM
The one con I really wish I had gone to was theFables Con (Fabletown and Beyond). I wonder if something like that would work in Australia? You'd need some serious talent to attract people and you have to get over the hurdle of it not being an expo.

lordrycon
01-19-2014, 06:38 PM
Indiegogo campaign is officially 10 days down, 50 to go with only $50 dollars pledged of $30,000 goal LOL

Rocket
01-20-2014, 12:57 AM
Indiegogo campaign is officially 10 days down, 50 to go with only $50 dollars pledged of $30,000 goal LOL

So you're saying there's a chance Ryan? :D

Wrothy
01-20-2014, 05:14 AM
So you're saying there's a chance Ryan? :D

:hilarious:

lordrycon
01-30-2014, 06:37 PM
wow, maybe I was wrong to be so skeptical... with 39 days to go in their Indiegogo Campaign, Universe Vs Universe has raised an incredible.......................................................................................................................................................................................................................
....................................................................................................................................................................................................................................
....................................................................................................................................................................................................................................
.......................................................................................................... $50.00

LOL

Rocket
01-31-2014, 04:23 AM
wow, maybe I was wrong to be so skeptical... with 39 days to go in their Indiegogo Campaign, Universe Vs Universe has raised an incredible.......................................................................................................................................................................................................................
.......................................................................................................... $50.00

LOL

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Woody
02-04-2014, 08:37 AM
The biggest shame of all this is if people like Chris Burnham, who would be a fantastic guest at any convention, get stiffed by an Aussie con, it might have flow-on effects for the other con organisers too.

I can easily imagine guests getting a bad experience from one Aussie convention black listing all Aussie conventions.

Royd
02-04-2014, 07:08 PM
As a result of the way he was (very poorly) treated by Armageddon Expo, Frank Cho said he doesn't want to come back to Australia at all! After his Armageddon experience, he posted to his message board and website about his opinion of the show.

I'm trying to persuade him to come back and show him how Supanova treats their guests :)

The biggest shame of all this is if people like Chris Burnham, who would be a fantastic guest at any convention, get stiffed by an Aussie con, it might have flow-on effects for the other con organisers too.

I can easily imagine guests getting a bad experience from one Aussie convention black listing all Aussie conventions.

lordrycon
02-04-2014, 07:21 PM
As a result of the way he was (very poorly) treated by Armageddon Expo, Frank Cho said he doesn't want to come back to Australia at all! After his Armageddon experience, he posted to his message board and website about his opinion of the show.

I'm trying to persuade him to come back and show him how Supanova treats their guests :)

I remember that Frank was so pissed off, he left half way through Sunday and didnt come back.

dfens91
02-06-2014, 03:33 AM
I remember that Frank was so pissed off, he left half way through Sunday and didnt come back.

I'll see him in London for the Super Comic Con in March. I'll try to talk to him directly and try to convince him to come to Sydney for Supanova one day. Might need to bring some pics of babes in bondi beach to convince him, I think. Tell him he will be treated like a King after last fiasco.

Royd
02-06-2014, 05:43 AM
By all means, let Frank know your positive perspective of Supanova :)

That said, Frank is a good mate and we've gone out (with mutual friends) for dinner the past 4 years at San Diego Comic Con and I arranged a private tour of Weta Studios for him when he came down here last time - it was the only thing about the trip he enjoyed :)

Every SDCC I hang out at Frank's art dealer's (Steve Morger) booth at the show and usually sit with Frank and the other artists at the booth. Steve and I believe we'll be able to persuade Frank to return to Oz with Supanova but additional recommendations are always welcome!

I was looking at possibly attending the London show in March at the suggestion of Howard Chaykin who will be a guest but my employment situation is a little fluid at present after I retired from F-T work last year so I decided not to attend :(

I'll see him in London for the Super Comic Con in March. I'll try to talk to him directly and try to convince him to come to Sydney for Supanova one day. Might need to bring some pics of babes in bondi beach to convince him, I think. Tell him he will be treated like a King after last fiasco.

lordrycon
02-18-2014, 05:14 AM
The organiser of this event needs to see this Indiegogo Campaign as a sign that there is no demand for another con in Melbourne. Oz Comic-Con and Supanova are consistently bringing us the best comic talent the industry has to offer, and do so with hard work and relationships that are sometimes decades old.

mez
02-24-2014, 08:50 PM
I don't think that the reason the indiegogo campaign is failing is due to the lack of demand for another Melbourne con, I think it's a huge range of things, poor marketing, unexciting guests, a very slow release of information, as well as the fact they are crowd funding (aka will the event go ahead). But could a comic festival/con work? Yes. Should it aim to be the same scale as supanova/oz comic con/Armageddon in it's first year? Noooo. Should it promise the most exciting, important well known comic guests and than release two pretty unknown names? Noooo.

lordrycon
02-24-2014, 09:34 PM
I don't think that the reason the indiegogo campaign is failing is due to the lack of demand for another Melbourne con, I think it's a huge range of things, poor marketing, unexciting guests, a very slow release of information, as well as the fact they are crowd funding (aka will the event go ahead). But could a comic festival/con work? Yes. Should it aim to be the same scale as supanova/oz comic con/Armageddon in it's first year? Noooo. Should it promise the most exciting, important well known comic guests and than release two pretty unknown names? Noooo.

A comic con could work in the scheme of a convention, but not an expo like Nova, Arama or OCC.

I would imagine something small at Melbourne Town Hall or somewhere similar, mainly local artists, writers and vendors, one or two international guests over 1 or 2 days. Expected attendees over the weekend maybe 2000. BUT, be prepared for only 500 people to show up total...

Thats what I would be aiming for scale wise if it was my con.

lordrycon
05-26-2014, 08:46 AM
Did you hear the awful news? This CON has been postponed indefinitely due to venue concerns. lol :P

Wrothy
05-26-2014, 09:06 AM
What??!! But I was so looking forward to paying $800 to have dinner with Andy Runton! :p

Rocket
05-27-2014, 04:10 AM
:laugh: I see you guys saw my cheeky post on their Fb wall that got that response!