PDA

View Full Version : Assistance please. delivery charges

SuperDinoHunter
01-29-2014, 11:16 AM
Can anyone provide insight into the charges that occur upon delivery by FEDEX? I`m in Canada and have order several statues from Sideshow in the past and normally I get charged approx $50 (+ or - a few dollars) CAD at the door of which I`m assuming is the customs and duties. Now the statues that I purchased are generally PF`s that are priced at $349. The statue I`m receiving today I was quoted a charge of $100 which is double the usual cost and it`s a $349 statue plus shipping of course and it weighs a lot less than other statues I`ve gotten in the past. I spoke to a fedex cs rep and they couldn`t give me an answer but directed me to their customs and I left a message and waiting for a call back. Could the charge be an error? Has the customs charges gone up? Or am I not understanding how the custom and duties work? Why is this one package double when my past several packages were less? The rep said it depends on country of origin, I said I`ve always purchased from the same place and shipped from same place. Why the double cost? If someone can help explain it would be appreciated.

thanks

Shanesg
01-29-2014, 11:36 AM
So you were charged 100 by sideshow or 100 in customs fees?

My customs and duties on batman came to $70 so thats not far off. Cost me $110 altogether.

SuperDinoHunter
01-29-2014, 11:38 AM
Charged $100 by customs on a Drake PF. $140 total with shipping.

Y3E
01-29-2014, 11:47 AM
Depending in which province/territory you live in, you will get charged GST or PST or HST. I live in Ontario, so normally I get charged HST (13%) on the Cdn converted cost of the statue. This is not to be confused with custom fee but taxes. Once I was charged an additional 8% custom fee, so I paid 13% taxes on the cost of the statue and custom fee of 8% on the cost of the statue. This was on my Colossus PF EX, so I paid about $86 at the time. No FedEx fee.

If you do not have an account with Fed Ex you will be charged $10 fee by them.

If you get a lot of statues from SS I suggest applying for a Fed Ex account and you will have no more $10 fees per statue. It's free, so why not.

SuperDinoHunter
01-29-2014, 11:47 AM
Normally the customs and duty charges are around the $50 range for me. Does it change that drastically all of a sudden? Was I unlucky and got selected randomly to pay more?

SuperDinoHunter
01-29-2014, 11:50 AM
So the custom fee % will vary each time?

Y3E
01-29-2014, 11:51 AM
Don't quote me on this but on the SS invoice attached to the brown box, Customs said it depended on the "classification no." (Far left column at the top of the invoice.)

Sometimes you get lucky and don't get charge custome fees. I've received 24 statues and 2 Hot Toys from SS in the past 2 years and only the Colossus had the custom fee. Well, I haven't received a copy of my bill for Batman so I don't know what was charged on that yet.

SuperDinoHunter
01-29-2014, 11:56 AM
Ok thanks, I`ll have a look when I get the package. It`s on the FEDEX truck out for delivery to me. They called me this morning to tell me the customs and duty charges was $100 and I was like what.

PureInvasion
01-29-2014, 11:56 AM
normally I get charged the $10 Fed Ex fee (have since made an account to avoid this) and the HST here in Ontario. Haven't been charged anything more than HST lately when something has been dropped off

ambasah
01-29-2014, 11:58 AM
it "should be" around $60 for taxes and brokerage fees on a $350US item.

If it was "classified" incorrectly by SS or the Canadian government, you may incur an additional "duty". That may explain the surcharge.

I would dispute the surcharge with Fedex, although it may require additional info from SS.

Y3E
01-29-2014, 12:00 PM
Ok thanks, I`ll have a look when I get the package. It`s on the FEDEX truck out for delivery to me. They called me this morning to tell me the customs and duty charges was $100 and I was like what.

Converting the value of Batman to $459 Cdn (using 87 as exchange rate) and if you live in Ontario, you will be charged $59.67 for taxes, $36.72 custom fees = 96.39, and $10 for Fed EX fee = 106.39

So, it is possible you were charged custom fee.

SuperDinoHunter
01-29-2014, 12:01 PM
normally I get charged the $10 Fed Ex fee (have since made an account to avoid this) and the HST here in Ontario. Haven't been charged anything more than HST lately when something has been dropped off

I see. So maybe i normally just get charged the taxes on my previous purchases but this time I actually got dinged on customs. I guess that makes sense, but I`ll keep checking.

Y3E
01-29-2014, 12:02 PM

If it was "classified" incorrectly by SS or the Canadian government, you may incur an additional "duty". That may explain the surcharge.

I would dispute the surcharge with Fedex, although it may require additional info from SS.

I tried to argue it with Customs for my Colossus and was told SS had to make the change and then I had to apply for a refund. Too much work :)

SuperDinoHunter
01-29-2014, 12:04 PM
Converting the value of Batman to $459 Cdn (using 87 as exchange rate) and if you live in Ontario, you will be charged $59.67 for taxes, $36.72 custom fees = 96.39, and $10 for Fed EX fee = 106.39

So, it is possible you were charged custom fee.

Yeah that seems to make more sense now when I think about it. It was just a big jump without the customs charge and just the taxes.

Thanks!

Y3E
01-29-2014, 12:05 PM
Yeah, I was shocked too when I saw my FedEx bill for Colossus. Usually, I get a bill for $56 or so

Bmutha
01-29-2014, 12:07 PM
Depending in which province/territory you live in, you will get charged GST or PST or HST. I live in Ontario, so normally I get charged HST (13%) on the Cdn converted cost of the statue. This is not to be confused with custom fee but taxes. Once I was charged an additional 8% custom fee, so I paid 13% taxes on the cost of the statue and custom fee of 8% on the cost of the statue. This was on my Colossus PF EX, so I paid about $86 at the time. No FedEx fee.

If you do not have an account with Fed Ex you will be charged $10 fee by them.

If you get a lot of statues from SS I suggest applying for a Fed Ex account and you will have no more $10 fees per statue. It's free, so why not.

^^THIS

Get a free FedEx account and give that account number to Sideshow. They will reference your FedEx account on all future orders so that the taxes get charged directly to your credit card instead of them having to charge you on delivery. By doing this, FedEx waives the $10 fee that they charge you for charging you on delivery...make sense??

Remember that the Canadian dollar has taken a nosedive in the last few months. The GST/HST is charged on the converted CANADIAN dollar value of the item. So, yes, the amount of tax you will pay has gone up in the last few months.

SuperDinoHunter
01-29-2014, 12:08 PM
I tried to argue it with Customs for my Colossus and was told SS had to make the change and then I had to apply for a refund. Too much work :)

Thanks all,

I definitely appreciate all the help!!!

SuperDinoHunter
01-29-2014, 12:44 PM

Should I accept the item and pay the charge now and then file a dispute on the surcharge? Don`t want the item to be stored somewhere.

Thanks

COI
01-29-2014, 12:53 PM
I have a Fedex account, and typically just pay the HST. I got the Punisher on Monday and am expecting Drake and the Conan dio today, so when I get invoiced by Fedex, I'll let you know what they charged.

Otherwise, I have pretty much paid HST. Can't remember the last time I got a customs surcharge, but I may be forgetting something.

SuperDinoHunter
01-29-2014, 03:28 PM
Ok finally got Mr. Drake in! FEDEX came to the door and I was expecting that huge customs and duties fee they told me over the phone. When the fedex guy pulled out the slip it came to $61. I`m super happy as that is what I usually get charged!!!!! So I`m not sure why they told me $100. I guess they made a mistake. Phew!!! I hope I don`t get dinged the difference later down the road. Thanks again for everyone`s input on the situation.

All I got to say is Nathan Drake is NOT a home run from Sideshow........but a GRAND SLAM!!!!!!!! WOW this statue is sweet!!!!!! Like someone said earlier, Drake just jumped out of the game on my tv onto my table top!!!!!! LOVE IT!!!! I can`t believe I almost actually passed on this.