PDA

View Full Version : Museum Glass: How to Clean?

cstojano
05-06-2014, 11:19 AM
Hopefully someone has some input here. I have several pieces with museum glass. As expected they have collected some dust, one was laying down for a month or so. I used a Swiffer to remove the surface dust and thought all was well. This morning I noticed what appeared to be small dots seen only in a certain light, purple-ish hue. It almost looked like someone sneezed on the piece. These dots do not seem to come off. So I used some TV screen glass cleaner and all that did was make more of a streaky mess with that blue purple haze to it. Keep in mind this isn't visible when the piece is hanging and viewed normally but it drives me nuts. Any knowledge about this or suggestions for truly cleaning this type of glass?

Sithlord32
05-06-2014, 05:57 PM
Well if its coated glass and not acrylic that makes a difference. Acrylic needs to be cleaned with an acrylic cleaner. If the glass has a protective coating such as a UV hindering layer using windex or lens cleaners or even TV cleaners will most likely leave a residue although the protective coating should be on the inside of the frame not the outside if thats the case its in backwards.The swifter pads also have a chemical in them that will leave a residue if wiped with too hard. Try using plain old isporopanol or ethanol and wipe gently. It will remove nicotine build up on glass or TV screens witch is one of the hardest things to remove from any surface. You can use windex to start then use a very lightly soapy water then a clean water after but you have to careful not to use too much as excess can leak inside the frame. As far as the towel you use goes i would recommend something 100% cotton or scratch free such micro-fiber cloth. Clean in small section starting at the edges and work your way inwards.

ONEYE
05-07-2014, 12:00 AM
Place the glass on a clean, non-abrasive surface for cleaning.
Use a clean, soft, lint-free cloth to clean the glass. I recommend using a micro-fiber cloth.
Spray a small amount of ammonia-free cleaner onto the cloth. Spraying on the cloth will prevent over-spray.
Press the cloth against the glass and clean in round, circular motions.

cstojano
05-07-2014, 08:02 AM
Thanks for the replies. I am starting to think the framer put the glass in backwards. I am extra careful with these pieces and use white gloves t handle them, yes my wife rolls her eyes but I learned quickly that finger prints are near impossible to remove.