PDA

View Full Version : Bmutha's Superman Premium Format Review

Bmutha
06-23-2014, 03:28 PM
https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-dlxjErtx3s4/UxvL_xUcAKI/AAAAAAAABQo/mH0t7RNXzq8/w689-h551-no/Supreme+SF+Watermark+large.png

Superman Premium Format Figure
by Sideshow Collectibles

Product Size: 25.5" H (647.7mm) x 16.5" W (419.1mm) x 9.00" D (228.6mm)
Product Weight: ?? (will confirm)
Artists: Bernardo Esquivel (Paint), Andy Bergholtz (Sculpt), Martin Canale and Gore Group Studios (Sculpt), Tim Hanson (Costume Fabrication), Kristafer Anka (Design), The Sideshow Collectibles Design and Development Team
Originally Released: April 2014

Superman Fun Facts:

First Appearance: Action Comics # 1 (dated June 1938, but hit shelves April 1938)
Alias: Clark Kent
Place of Birth: Krypton
Height: 6’3”
Weight: 235 lbs.

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-WtQ96CobTww/U6dwddc4QMI/AAAAAAAABtQ/-HAzmwWFHk4/w352-h551-no/IMG_0953-001.JPG
(^Displayed with regular portrait)

Sideshow Collectibles continues in their line of Justice League based DC characters with the release of the Superman Premium Format Figure. Superman, the Man of Steel, the Man of Tomorrow…THE original, possibly most iconic super hero of them all. Needless to say, this piece was highly anticipated by the fans.

I recently read Superman: the Unauthorized Biography by Glen Weldon (virtually an encyclopedia of Superman’s history). Here are the final few paragraphs from that book:

“What will endure about him has nothing to do with his powers – they will change, waxing and waning as any given story requires.

His costume is not what is essential about him; it will change and change again…

Superman’s persona is perhaps the most fluid thing about him: in the hands of different writers, he will paternalistic or fraternal, quippy or self-serious, empathetic or cold, as the needs of the story dictate.

What will endure about him is what he does: he helps others, and he doesn’t give up.

…he is powered by a uniquely American fuel mixture: part wish-fulfillment, part noble ideal, part garish hey-look-at-me spectacle.

Like us, he is a creature of immense strength and surprising weaknesses. He’s not the same guy he started out as, but who among us can say we are? He’s been around for three quarters of a century already, and, in some form, he’ll be here for centuries to come, because no matter how much he changes on the outside, Superman will always speak to the most essential, the most hopeful, and the most invulnerable part of us.”

Reading that made me realize that Superman isn’t just your everyday superhero. He is an icon that has, and will continue to, stand the test of time. He means so much to so many people, as a symbol of hope, freedom, and the goodness in humanity. Sideshow really had their work cut out for them on this one, having to represent not only the look on the outside, but the symbolism on the inside. Can they deliver? Let’s find out.

The piece arrived in some excellent packaging. I am not talking about the art on the box, but actually how the foam protects the product. Mine arrived in excellent condition, and I have seen very few reports of breakage from those people that are lucky enough to have received one already.

The piece itself is separated into 4 parts: the base, body, cape, and portrait are all separate pieces. The body slides into the base with some pretty beefy metal pegs, while the head is held on with magnets. The cape fits into the right shoulder with a metal peg. The parts generally fit together well. There is a slight gap visible between the edges of the neckline and the shoulders. Most of this gap is covered by the cape; however, small parts of it are still noticeable if you look closely. The cape is a bit tricky to get on and off. Luckily, Sideshow included an instruction page showing the recommended way for doing this. In spite of this, though, I still managed to rub some red paint onto the neck when removing the cape, so be careful when doing this.

If you get the exclusive version, you actually get a few more pieces in the box in the form of the alternate ‘heat vision’ portrait. This portrait received heavy criticism upon its reveal…being described by many as the “heat noodles” effect. Sideshow tried to do something a little different here, and represent, in 3D, the heat trails around the eyes that comic book artists use so frequently. The early pictures released by Sideshow upon pre-order did not look promising, and there were no updates until in-hand pictures started to surface over a year later.

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-Tc7ISJDg7FU/U5vA7tvs6cI/AAAAAAAABr0/TAj2pvzkbpU/w394-h551-no/IMG_0951-001.JPG
(^Displayed with plain red eyes)

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-vDvohiWUDCQ/U5vA_WPZ_WI/AAAAAAAABr0/kutYCKjn4q0/w345-h550-no/IMG_0973-001.JPG
(^Displayed with heat trails)

Well, I am happy to report that the “noodles” look turned out splendidly. In person, these heat trails really add another dimension to the piece, helping represent some of that raw power that Superman possesses. Sideshow could have easily left it at that, but they did not. See, the heat trails are actually separate “plugs” that get inserted into small sockets on the portrait itself. Since you can take them out, Sideshow decided to also include plain red eyes, so you can represent the heat vision effect without the “noodles”. Both heat vision options look outstanding. Sideshow deserves major credit for making this addition during the production process. Oh, and they were kind enough to include doubles of each eye plug (if you drop one of the tiny plain red eyes, you may never find it again!!).

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-arUMpQROoFU/U6dwS4-Le5I/AAAAAAAABtA/8KaJAXQhqcQ/w802-h481-no/Superman+portraits+2.jpg
(^ The three portrait options for the Exclusive version)

The base is meant to represent Superman’s occasional headquarters, the Fortress of Solitude. There were other directions they could have gone with the base, but the alien nature of the Fortress of Solitude made it the obvious choice to represent a major character trait: his Kryptonian heritage. The base itself is rather plain looking fully painted polystone, though. A partially translucent base similar to the Green Lantern Premium Format could have added a lot of realism. That said, the base has good heft, and most importantly, sits solid. No worry about tipping here. I have read some complaints regarding the shade of blue paint used on the base, but I believe it replicates the icy, arctic look well (hey, I’m Canadian, so I know a thing or two about ice).

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-ihrtdOgkIuw/U6dxFPcHxRI/AAAAAAAABtg/sKdrUhuLKQI/w550-h551-no/IMG_0934-001.JPG
(^Fortress of Solitude themed base)

Superman himself is sculpted incredibly well. His well-developed physique makes him look powerful and imposing, while at the same time he is not overwhelmingly muscular. The obvious comparison for collectors is to the Batman Premium Format, to which Superman looks slightly leaner when placed side by side. Also like Batman, Superman comes in at slightly larger than 1:4 scale, so the “World’s Finest” will still display very well together.

The two portraits are extremely well done, with both having the strong, square jaw line and the signature forelock (will that hairdo ever go out of style?). The regular portrait depicts him gazing skyward, his blue eyes look hopeful and strong. I believe this portrait is what captures the heroic aspects of the character that have come to define him. Anyone looking at the portrait alone for the first time will know instantly this is a good guy, a guy they can trust and depend on. On the flipside, the heat vision portrait reminds us that this is one of the most powerful superheroes ever created, looking downward with a stern, “don’t mess with me” expression on his face.

The fully sculpted cape is shown billowing out to his left. This windswept look helps the statue look like it’s capturing a moment in time, rather than looking too “posed”. The folds on the cape look excellent, and despite the slight difficulty inserting and removing it from the body, fully sculpted was definitely the way to go here. There is no ‘S’ logo on the back of the cape, which ruffled the feathers of some fans. The ‘S’ would have been difficult to implement with the folds in the cape, and I know I do not personally plan to display mine backwards, so this should be a non-issue for most collectors.

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-30182MnKGQY/U5vA2DKDG1I/AAAAAAAABr0/RdaVaLxRles/w393-h551-no/IMG_0938-001.JPG
(^Cape billowing I the wind)

What stand out for me the most, though, is the hands. Both fists are incredibly well detailed, with very lifelike skin and fingernail texturing. And the slight bluish tone to the paint on the veins add another level of realism.

Paint applications throughout the piece are solid, although aside from the finer details on the fists, there is nothing overly special here. The important thing is that the paint is well executed in the factory, with hardly a blemish to report.

The tailoring on Superman’s mixed media costume, including the trunks and belt, came out extremely well. The fabrics look and feel a good quality, and most importantly, are form fitting (including the armpits). The logo is actually embossed applique, so it really pops. One minor quibble for me is that his left sleeve is a tad too short, almost exposing the seam on the wrist where the hand is glues on to the arm. Overall, the costume looks excellent out of the box.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-Cmxw6HeZw-I/U5vA9Z61E1I/AAAAAAAABr0/LaUlscSMxtQ/w344-h551-no/IMG_0971-001.JPG

The Verdict

Sculpt: 9/10: Great musculature without being over the top. Excellent portraits that capture important aspects of the character. Excellent realism on the fists. The base, although representative of the characters heritage, is rather plain looking and brings down the overall score a bit.

Paint/Mixed Media: 9.5/10: Paint is well executed, with no obvious flaws. The tailoring on the costume is superb.

Design: 9.5/10: Pose exudes strength and stability. Regular portrait captures the hero inside, while EX portrait doesn’t let us forget this character’s extreme power.

Production & Build Quality: 8.5/10: The body, base, and accessories have a good quality feel to them. The base is solid, with no signs of wobbliness. The cape is tricky to get on and off without rubbing red paint onto the neck, which is unfortunate because the cape must be removed to switch between the portraits.

Overall: 9.1: Excellent release from Sideshow that captures the essence of the character, and continues the incredible DC Comics line from the company. A must-have for Superman fans.

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-FeZnWkixBhg/U5vBGSAu2wI/AAAAAAAABr0/yOMuKCimulU/w380-h551-no/IMG_0983-001.JPG
(^Don't mess with me!)

COI
06-23-2014, 04:12 PM
Great review, brother. Awesome pics. :buttrock:

Bullseye
06-23-2014, 04:31 PM
Very nice review.

nbr3bagshotrow
06-23-2014, 05:06 PM
Review is 10/10! Great job.

JP Sarri
06-23-2014, 08:25 PM
Fantastic review, Bmutha!! You are on a roll! :thumbs2:

risingstar
06-23-2014, 08:52 PM
Excellent!

Sithlord32
06-23-2014, 10:36 PM
Nice Job there Hoss!

Anespian
06-24-2014, 07:44 AM
Well reviewed! :)

Bmutha
06-25-2014, 09:58 PM
Thanks for the kind comments, guys!

Force of Nature
06-28-2014, 05:10 PM
Amazing review which was great fun to read; I take my hat off to you sir! :D

Rainer

Nothing can stop The Juggernaut... NOTHING!