PDA

View Full Version : Buying Question : Wolverine or Thanos & Why?

SideShowJoe
09-05-2014, 04:31 PM
Hello everyone! As some of you guys know i have been intrigued by XM-Studios for their fresh new art style and take on some of our favorite characters as forum member and friend Viper turned me on to this wonderful company, thats right Viper you turned me on :hilarious: And now I'm hooked and am more excited for new XM pieces than i am of other companies and will be investing into a newer company but due to lack of funds and that i have no XM pieces in hand i can't put too much coin in one pot yet but if my first two pieces turn out amazing i will be all in and investing lots of my time and money with this XM-STUDIOS company….

Anymatter, i have to make a decision, and soon…. I have Magneto on order but will only probably be able to order one more this year, which I've narrowed my choices down to Wolverine (Yellow) or Thanos…

Im really caught between which one i like more and which one i think i may be able to get a little cheaper down road on secondary market haha because I love them both but can't purchase both of them and i know they will both probably sell out day one on both fronts so if you guys could only buy one which one would you guys buy and why? And also which one do you guys think will be more bang for my bucks, display options, switch out pieces and change of heads ect...

Thanks for your help…..

Edit: Was thinking since i have Magneto on order that Wolverine would look really cool next to him but Thanos would look cool next to Mags as well, decisions decisions!!

Sarah

wolf-brother
09-05-2014, 04:35 PM
I would go for Thanos because I think he will be more expensive in the secondary market and there will be another Wolverine (Brown version) once the Disney/Fox issue is settled, so you will still have a go at an XM Wolvie at retail.

keewan
09-05-2014, 04:36 PM
I think you can get Wolverine for cheaper down the road. There are other Wolverine options in the market right now, and there will be more for sure (everyone is expecting a couple brown Wolverine). Another factor is shipping, if someone brought a Thanos, it cost them more to ship to them if it's Hulk size, it cost me over $300 USD to ship to me from Singapore, you will pay for that mark up at least plus shipping to you.

loricstone
09-05-2014, 04:41 PM
They are both really tough to choose between. But in the end Thanos would be the one....if you can even get one. There should be another Wolverine maybe sometime later down the road from XM (brown and yellow hopefully).

Alejandro P killed this Thanos, Hawkeye and Hulk. He did all three! Wow I love this guy's work.

wolf-brother
09-05-2014, 04:46 PM
No doubt about it stone, A.P. is a master at his craft! He murdered that ARH Medusa! :thumbs2:

Viper245
09-05-2014, 05:05 PM
LOL at turning you on. I would go with Thanos hands down. There will never be a 1/4 scale Thanos done this well with all the switch out parts and at the level of detail and QC that XM puts into their pieces. Once Thanos sells out he will be very expensive on the secondary market.

Good luck. Sarah. Glad to have have you on board this wild XM ride with us.

The General
09-05-2014, 05:09 PM
They are both really tough to choose between. But in the end Thanos would be the one....if you can even get one. There should be another Wolverine maybe sometime later down the road from XM (brown and yellow hopefully).

Alejandro P killed this Thanos, Hawkeye and Hulk. He did all three! Wow I love this guy's work.

I can't believe that the same guy did Thanos and Hulk. Thanos is about a billion times better than Hulk. That being said I'd get Thanos. Wolverine looks great but Thanos is just epic.

wanderlai
09-05-2014, 05:16 PM
Thanos. You'll have more Wolverine' s coming at some point.

Shadowfax
09-05-2014, 05:19 PM
everyone will have their own opinion but i think what really matters is what your collection needs are at the moment...take a look at what you have and where you want to go...then ask yourself which one fits best

cause lets be honest...these are not cheap for us North American collectors :)

i have the Sideshow Wolverine...so even though i love XM's version, i don't feel compelled to buy it...villains (Marvel/DC) and anything JL are high priorities for me right now
so Thanos it is :)

AlizAbef
09-05-2014, 05:22 PM
Although XM Studios Wolverine is the best I've ever seen, there's enough of them out there at 1/4. Especially that of the blue/yellow. For the money that collectors are spending on the Sideshow PF and the SS Comi , you're just better off spending the extra money to get this one. It'll eventually surpass, be more in demand, and be worth more than both Sideshow versions combined. XM's quality assurance alone will make this happen. All that detail, metal claws, three head sculpts, and a giant Sentinal head to perch it on? It can't and won't be beat. At least not by Sideshow. XM's Wolverine is even better than SS's 1/2 scale Wolverine. Sorry SS fanboys.

However, in the case against XM's own Thanos 1/4? I'd go with Thanos. Just not enough of them out there at that scale. Besides a lame custom, there's only one out there that can really compete with XM's and that's obviously SS's version. And honestly, it can't touch this one. Again, for the money collectors are paying for the Sideshow version, you're better off spending the extra money to get this one, because again, it'll eventually surpass, be more in demand, and it'll be worth more than the SS Thanos. With the unmatched quality control, all that size, detail, switch out parts, and three head sculpts standing on a giant base of skulls? Good God SSJ, what are you waiting for?

I love collecting villains...mainly because they make more of an impact than heroes do to me, and I love that. Just like heroes, you never ever forget 'em. This is one villain you can't miss out on...especially this version of him. Even compared to XM's own Wolverine, he'll be more in demand and will be worth more. Get Thanos.

cpluse2
09-05-2014, 05:36 PM
Yo Joe i think Thanos is the way to go!

Remember Me?
09-05-2014, 06:12 PM
Tough choice....in the end Thanos, because there are tons of Wolverine statues. How can you beat Thanos with IG and Comic cube switch out parts....not to mention three different portraits!!

Khufu
09-05-2014, 06:21 PM
It was too tough a choice for me - so I went with both. If backed into a corner, I would probably go with Thanos because as other's said there will most likely be more Wolverines.

Grifterr
09-05-2014, 06:39 PM
It depends , do you want two epic villians next to each other or two x-men characters that share the same sentinel base theme. The choice is yours (I chose wolvie)

Titanchuck
09-05-2014, 06:41 PM
Gotta get both Sarah!!!! But if I had to choose I'd say ....sell an organ and get both!!! No seriously I gotta say Thanos it's a most magnificent sculpt

SideShowJoe
09-05-2014, 07:44 PM
Tough choice....in the end Thanos, because there are tons of Wolverine statues. How can you beat Thanos with IG and Comic cube switch out parts....not to mention three different portraits!!

Yeah thats what I'm thinking RM! I mean wolvie has great switch outs too but i think Thanos looks so much more menacing and the base with him looks amazing and fits him so well that the entire package just screams BUY ME NOW! I mean wolvie has an amazing overall package too just feel i am getting more for my buck going in direction of Thanos, thanks everyone!!

Gotta get both Sarah!!!! But if I had to choose I'd say ....sell an organ and get both!!! No seriously I gotta say Thanos it's a most magnificent sculpt

Hahaha trust me Titan i wish i could have both but right now i really have to limit my pieces and I've even cancelled most of my collectibles at Sideshow except for my Red Sonja and Wonder WOman and Hellboy…. And even after canceling many other collectibles i can only get two at the moment and I'm getting MAGNETO & THANOS and i think those are two amazing XM pieces to start off with this company if i do say so myself..

Thanks Titan!! :thumbs2:

Although XM Studios Wolverine is the best I've ever seen, there's enough of them out there at 1/4. Especially that of the blue/yellow. For the money that collectors are spending on the Sideshow PF and the SS Comi , you're just better off spending the extra money to get this one. It'll eventually surpass, be more in demand, and be worth more than both Sideshow versions combined. XM's quality assurance alone will make this happen. All that detail, metal claws, three head sculpts, and a giant Sentinal head to perch it on? It can't and won't be beat. At least not by Sideshow. XM's Wolverine is even better than SS's 1/2 scale Wolverine. Sorry SS fanboys.

However, in the case against XM's own Thanos 1/4? I'd go with Thanos. Just not enough of them out there at that scale. Besides a lame custom, there's only one out there that can really compete with XM's and that's obviously SS's version. And honestly, it can't touch this one. Again, for the money collectors are paying for the Sideshow version, you're better off spending the extra money to get this one, because again, it'll eventually surpass, be more in demand, and it'll be worth more than the SS Thanos. With the unmatched quality control, all that size, detail, switch out parts, and three head sculpts standing on a giant base of skulls? Good God SSJ, what are you waiting for?

I love collecting villains...mainly because they make more of an impact than heroes do to me, and I love that. Just like heroes, you never ever forget 'em. This is one villain you can't miss out on...especially this version of him. Even compared to XM's own Wolverine, he'll be more in demand and will be worth more. Get Thanos.

Right on…and i feel the same way we like our heroes but WE LOVE our villains and like you said you don't forget your villains… Thanks, ill get Thanos and agree this wolverine kills Sideshows LSF and thats sad because that was what over $2,000 plus shipping? :puke2: Don't be sorry to the Sideshow fanboys or girls, thats your opinion and i agree with it…. I love sideshow but some of xm's pieces have as much if not more than Sideshows collectibles that cost over $2,000 and sorry but that shouldn't be happening but it is and thats the reality at this point… Anyway moving on, THANOS YOU ARE MINE! MUHHAHAHHAAHA

No doubt about it stone, A.P. is a master at his craft! He murdered that ARH Medusa! :thumbs2:

Wow, do you know thats one of our favorite pieces (ARH Medusa) and i never knew that artist did this Thanos, great stuff!! Yeah he truly is a master of the craft without a doubt!

LOL at turning you on. I would go with Thanos hands down. There will never be a 1/4 scale Thanos done this well with all the switch out parts and at the level of detail and QC that XM puts into their pieces. Once Thanos sells out he will be very expensive on the secondary market.

Good luck. Sarah. Glad to have have you on board this wild XM ride with us.

Thanks for advise Viper as always and again thanks for turning me on to this new company, if you wouldnt of pmed me months back i probably would of missed out on this company until after lots of the first few dozen collectibles were sold out…. And thanks for the advise on this tough question and i think I'm going towards what most people think and thats to hold off on Wolverine and get this Thanos as there really hasn't been too many Thanos on the market of most companies and can't wait to have this masterpiece in our collection this Thanos and Magneto will be my first of those two characters and what great representations of both characters if you ask me!!

Thank you everyone for your help!

MY FINAL CHOICE IS …….. THANOS!!!! THANOS YOU WILL BE MINE!! MUHAHAHAHA!!!

Sarah

traylorc
09-05-2014, 07:54 PM

Sarah

:hilarious:

toe
09-05-2014, 09:12 PM
You will be mine Thanos.

SONICobra
09-05-2014, 11:23 PM
easy, thanos. I think its a cooler piece imo and as others have said there will always be more wolverines (both sideshow and xm have implied they will be making brown costume versions)

Thor57
09-05-2014, 11:30 PM
You really cant go wrong with either one. They're both great.

Cougrcrumby
09-05-2014, 11:35 PM
I'm just not a big fan of Logan in yellow gear...sorry..I said it. Thanos is a no brainier...course if it were brown costume..we'll it would be a whole mother discussion.

Thor57
09-05-2014, 11:48 PM
Nothing to be sorry about. Sometimes people love a character but hate their current/past/future outfit. Thor in the mid to late 90's? During the Marvel vs DC and later with the shirtless look and chains as a belt? My god it was awful.

Sole reason I'm passing on Logan is I'm not building an X-Men lineup. If I got him, I'd want him as a stand alone piece. I really like the old art of Logan after he busted out of Weapon X and still have all the gear and wires attached to him. If I ever see a quality 1/4 of that, that is probably my trigger pull on a Logan statue.

traylorc
09-06-2014, 12:28 AM
Thanos...by a long shot. I like Wolvie...but it looks like XM has an epic offering on their hands with Thanos.

FETTFAN
09-06-2014, 02:30 AM
Cancel some of your Sideshow preorders and get both. Losing the NRD will be countered by the second market increase if you try to get one of these at a later date

Thor57
09-06-2014, 02:33 AM
Its not a counter really, because I dont think I see anyone selling these. So its still a loss. So you only recoup if you plan on selling later.

acme1982
09-06-2014, 03:16 AM
Thanos is my choice.

GrumpyBear
09-06-2014, 03:50 AM
I think on the secondary market there will be only just blown away ebay prices. Doubt anybody who get this pieces, because he want it, will sell it in the near time.

If you want this BangWhowDingleDingle effect you must go to thanos. He will have cool poses with all the arms and heads.

I have no magneto on PO, but wolverine and thanos.

Y3E
09-06-2014, 05:19 PM
Easy choice. Thanos without a doubt. Already a lot of 1/4 Wolverines and only 1 Thanos (custom) .

XM version is a killer

wanderlai
09-06-2014, 05:22 PM
Just buy them both. Sell something.

actionjackson83
09-06-2014, 07:32 PM
exactly, sell 2-3 sideshow statues to get them both. If you own the SS wolvie sell that one especially.

Eky
09-06-2014, 07:46 PM
Hmm
if i have the SS wolverine i would take thanos
If i have the SS thanos i would take XM thanos also ^^

If i have none of them (that's my case) and can purchase only one i would take wolvie because i prefer to diplay him with magneto and i know thanos less than logan (what a noob i am sorry).

Viper245
09-06-2014, 10:19 PM
Yeah thats what I'm thinking RM! I mean wolvie has great switch outs too but i think Thanos looks so much more menacing and the base with him looks amazing and fits him so well that the entire package just screams BUY ME NOW! I mean wolvie has an amazing overall package too just feel i am getting more for my buck going in direction of Thanos, thanks everyone!!

Hahaha trust me Titan i wish i could have both but right now i really have to limit my pieces and I've even cancelled most of my collectibles at Sideshow except for my Red Sonja and Wonder WOman and Hellboy…. And even after canceling many other collectibles i can only get two at the moment and I'm getting MAGNETO & THANOS and i think those are two amazing XM pieces to start off with this company if i do say so myself..

Thanks Titan!! :thumbs2:

Right on…and i feel the same way we like our heroes but WE LOVE our villains and like you said you don't forget your villains… Thanks, ill get Thanos and agree this wolverine kills Sideshows LSF and thats sad because that was what over $2,000 plus shipping? :puke2: Don't be sorry to the Sideshow fanboys or girls, thats your opinion and i agree with it…. I love sideshow but some of xm's pieces have as much if not more than Sideshows collectibles that cost over $2,000 and sorry but that shouldn't be happening but it is and thats the reality at this point… Anyway moving on, THANOS YOU ARE MINE! MUHHAHAHHAAHA

Wow, do you know thats one of our favorite pieces (ARH Medusa) and i never knew that artist did this Thanos, great stuff!! Yeah he truly is a master of the craft without a doubt!

Thanks for advise Viper as always and again thanks for turning me on to this new company, if you wouldnt of pmed me months back i probably would of missed out on this company until after lots of the first few dozen collectibles were sold out…. And thanks for the advise on this tough question and i think I'm going towards what most people think and thats to hold off on Wolverine and get this Thanos as there really hasn't been too many Thanos on the market of most companies and can't wait to have this masterpiece in our collection this Thanos and Magneto will be my first of those two characters and what great representations of both characters if you ask me!!

Thank you everyone for your help!

Sarah

You are very welcome, Sarah. I am glad I was able to help. I think us fans of Marvel characters deserve better then the generally lack luster offerings that Sideshow has been churning out these past few years so it's nice to see XM Studios bringing passion, quality and excellent art direction back to these characters that we all love. These are great times for Marvel collectors thanks to XM Studios.

Remember Me?
09-06-2014, 11:42 PM
You are very welcome, Sarah. I am glad I was able to help. I think us fans of Marvel characters deserve better then the generally lack luster offerings that Sideshow has been churning out these past few years so it's nice to see XM Studios bringing passion, quality and excellent art direction back to these characters that we all love. These are great times for Marvel collectors thanks to XM Studios.

Now, let's hope they get the license to sell to North America...otherwise I have to be very selective.

Thor57
09-07-2014, 04:06 AM
If they get the license here, won't they still be produced over there? Meaning prices are still going to be higher?

built2shred
09-07-2014, 12:50 PM
If they get the license here, won't they still be produced over there? Meaning prices are still going to be higher?

You have to figure that right now each statue has to ship individually so max shipping prices (vs if they were shipped here in bulk numbers) and the stores here have to pay the middle man to get them, so these middle men need to make a profit also so there charging more then what XM would charge if these stores could buy directly from XM.

I'm just guessing here but where Captain America cost most of us $800 to get it do our door, if XM got a license to sell here that price would probably drop to around $550

Viper245
09-07-2014, 12:56 PM
Now, let's hope they get the license to sell to North America...otherwise I have to be very selective.

Agreed RM. That would be fantastic news if it were to happen.

SideShowJoe
09-07-2014, 02:35 PM
Agreed RM. That would be fantastic news if it were to happen.

Do you guys think this will happen? I wonder of we get petition and get collectors to sign to try and get them over to USA if XM-STUDIOS could swing it?

Because myself and my husband have talked and were right were RM is as well as 90% of all other Americans and will have to be very selective and it sucks because there is already 4-6 other pieces I want besides Mags and Thanos and can only get these two so far as those will both cost me almost $2,000 to get those two pieces to our door!! Eeekkk!!

Sarah

equi-nox76
09-07-2014, 03:05 PM
Thanos = not done so far, looks awesome & I already have the Wolverine PF from SS which is perfect.

Viper245
09-07-2014, 04:47 PM
Do you guys think this will happen? I wonder of we get petition and get collectors to sign to try and get them over to USA if XM-STUDIOS could swing it?

Because myself and my husband have talked and were right were RM is as well as 90% of all other Americans and will have to be very selective and it sucks because there is already 4-6 other pieces I want besides Mags and Thanos and can only get these two so far as those will both cost me almost $2,000 to get those two pieces to our door!! Eeekkk!!

Sarah

Well a petition certainly wouldn't hurt, Sarah, but the decision ultimately rests with Marvel/Disney and I bet Sideshow would fight it since it would heavily affect sales of their Marvel line. XM Studios might be able to make a case with Marvel for adding the US to it's licensed territories by using the petition among other things.

Sharkey
09-07-2014, 05:19 PM
I'd be all for it! These shipping costs are insane!