PDA

View Full Version : Gauging interest in Tekken

Liad
10-11-2014, 11:21 AM
Okay, so I figured i'd post a poll where people can vote if they are interested in PTZ doing Tekken Kits. I know I would kill for some Tekken statues.

Make your voices heard!

stellaspeed
10-11-2014, 02:35 PM
Tekken... I would like to see some SNK pieces. They have a number of characters that people would buy. I am not saying SNK because I what people to try and 1 up me I really do mean SNK. There are this not meany great Tekken characters.

Liad
10-11-2014, 03:06 PM
How do you mean "Not that many great characters" ? It's another fighting game, just like SF, with a huge roster of varied and unique characters.

Ignoring the subjectivity of it, it blows my mind that the best selling fighting game franchise has this few fans when it comes to merchandise (There is almost close to no Tekken merchandise out there), while SF is over-saturated with it.

Thinking about it, it's the same thing with VF, and it's probably because their character designs are based in reality.

Grifterr
10-11-2014, 03:08 PM
I'm all for SNK and specifically King of Fighters myself. But that's just me preferring 2d fighters over 2.5/3D ones.

P.s I am dreaming of a Terry Bogard 1/4 kit in a dynamic Buster wolf action pose.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TJn1mrurXE0

JP Sarri
10-11-2014, 03:43 PM
Tekken... I would like to see some SNK pieces. They have a number of characters that people would buy. I am not saying SNK because I what people to try and 1 up me I really do mean SNK. There are this not meany great Tekken characters.

Amen, brother! Tekken is overrated.

JP Sarri
10-11-2014, 03:46 PM
How do you mean "Not that many great characters" ? It's another fighting game, just like SF, with a huge roster of varied and unique characters.

Ignoring the subjectivity of it, it blows my mind that the best selling fighting game franchise has this few fans when it comes to merchandise (There is almost close to no Tekken merchandise out there), while SF is over-saturated with it.

Thinking about it, it's the same thing with VF, and it's probably because their character designs are based in reality.

No offense but Tekken is not the best selling fighting gaming franchise. Street Fighter is. Therefore the mountain of licensed and unlicensed merchandise.

With that being said, I have no problem with Tekken products. My vote is "yes".

JP Sarri
10-11-2014, 03:47 PM
I'm all for SNK and specifically King of Fighters myself. But that's just me preferring 2d fighters over 2.5/3D ones.

P.s I am dreaming of a Terry Bogard 1/4 kit in a dynamic Buster wolf action pose.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TJn1mrurXE0

You took the words out of my mouth.

Liad
10-11-2014, 05:44 PM
No offense but Tekken is not the best selling fighting gaming franchise. Street Fighter is. Therefore the mountain of licensed and unlicensed merchandise.

With that being said, I have no problem with Tekken products. My vote is "yes".

What are you talking about? Tekken is the most successful franchise in the fighting game genre, i.e most copies sold:

http://www.eventhubs.com/news/2013/sep/20/whos-1-fighting-game-sales-harada-says-tekken-425-million-copies-sold-date/

In short:

Tekken has sold 42.5 million units total (confirmed 2013)
Street Fighter has sold 35 million copies total (confirmed 2014)

Don't confuse "most successful/best selling fighting game franchise" with "most popular fighting game franchise". Street Fighter is obviously WAY more popular because it defined the entire genre, but it doesn't change the fact that Tekken has sold more copies because it has mass appeal.

This means that there are obviously a lot of fans of Tekken around the globe, and it confuses me as to why there's no merchandise to capitalize on this. My point/problem also isn't that Tekken has less merchandise than Street Fighter - It's the gigantic difference between Street Fighter being available in anything from bubble gum to semi-trucks, and Tekken has next to no merchandise. There's a t-shirt here and there, and thanks to ecchi manga artists in TTT2, we have some bishoujo Tekken statues (which imo look ridiculous).

There _should_ be a market for Tekken merchandise, but there just isn't - for some reason.

ReplicantSavior
10-11-2014, 05:56 PM
I would say maybe. There are still so many Capcom characters that I want from Prototypez. From Tekken there are only a few. And that's just out of curiosity to see what Erick could do with them.

JP Sarri
10-11-2014, 06:30 PM
What are you talking about? Tekken is the most successful franchise in the fighting game genre, i.e most copies sold:

http://www.eventhubs.com/news/2013/sep/20/whos-1-fighting-game-sales-harada-says-tekken-425-million-copies-sold-date/

In short:

Tekken has sold 42.5 million units total (confirmed 2013)
Street Fighter has sold 35 million copies total (confirmed 2014)

Don't confuse "most successful/best selling fighting game franchise" with "most popular fighting game franchise". Street Fighter is obviously WAY more popular because it defined the entire genre, but it doesn't change the fact that Tekken has sold more copies because it has mass appeal.

This means that there are obviously a lot of fans of Tekken around the globe, and it confuses me as to why there's no merchandise to capitalize on this. My point/problem also isn't that Tekken has less merchandise than Street Fighter - It's the gigantic difference between Street Fighter being available in anything from bubble gum to semi-trucks, and Tekken has next to no merchandise. There's a t-shirt here and there, and thanks to ecchi manga artists in TTT2, we have some bishoujo Tekken statues (which imo look ridiculous).

There _should_ be a market for Tekken merchandise, but there just isn't - for some reason.

I call that BS. That only reflects resent consoles copies sales and not all time sales. If Tekken was as popular as you claim it to be, we will have tons of merchandise from them, but that is not the case as you can see. I grew up in the arcade era and the fighting scene. I've been around the world so believe me when I tell you that Street Fighter is 10 times more popular than Tekken. If you don't believe me, check Evo to see which games bring more players and viewers to the tournament.

Liad
10-11-2014, 06:51 PM
I don't understand why i'm bothering to answer to your replies when you are ignoring what i'm saying. It's all times sales, for all the games in both franchises history.

Don't you understand that my EXACT POINT is that it's weird how Tekken doesn't have any merchandise, and street fighter does, while they both are fairly close in terms of sales. The only reason I can see Street Fighter having more merchandise is because Capcom doesn't mind whoring out its brand for more revenue. This is pure conjecture though, but it's still confusing.

Once again you are confusing "best selling" with MORE POPULAR. If hard facts isn't good enough, then anything I say is pointless.

Edit: Actually, no one seems to understand my point, so I give up. The conclusion is just that Tekken is definitely not a license PTZ should pick up.

ZenLogikos
10-11-2014, 06:56 PM
The sales numbers may be accurate, but they are fairly meaningless. Tekken has released seven main series entries, and in that same span Street Fighter has released only two. Sales figures are especially irrelevant for fighting games though. It's all about mind share, and play time.

JP Sarri
10-11-2014, 07:05 PM
The sales numbers may be accurate, but they are fairly meaningless. Tekken has released seven main series entries, and in that same span Street Fighter has released only two. Sales figures are especially irrelevant for fighting games though. It's all about mind share, and play time.

Exactly. The numbers only reflect the console era since the first Playstation. Street fighter was a household name way before that time.

DynamicMenace
10-11-2014, 08:01 PM
i voted yes. and i would like to see Dead or Alive as well as Soul Calibur .

ZenLogikos
10-11-2014, 10:41 PM
Edit: Actually, no one seems to understand my point, so I give up. The conclusion is just that Tekken is definitely not a license PTZ should pick up.

I get your point.

There is no need to compare Street Fighter to Tekken. Tekken has sold a lot of games. It should therefore be worthy of selling ancillary products.

I'm just not sure the Tekken license transcends videogame-dom as well as Street Fighter has. Street Fighter is part of pop culture.

stellaspeed
10-11-2014, 10:45 PM

Well it's this because it's kits and not pvc statues and with kits most of the time love has to go into them and I can't see alout of people goin crazy to have a tekken kit and I can only think of 5 character that can be easy to do and may sell.

TheYoungWolf
10-12-2014, 03:51 AM
Nowhere in Liad's initial post am I seeing the desire to compare popular fighting franchises, so I'm not entirely sure why Street Fighter enthusiasts feel the need to come in here and argue superiority. It's asinine.

Well it's this because it's kits and not pvc statues and with kits most of the time love has to go into them and I can't see alout of people goin crazy to have a tekken kit and I can only think of 5 character that can be easy to do and may sell.

I'd bet Tekken fans would go crazy for some Tekken kits.

Got my vote. Heihachi, Jin, Marshall Law, Yoshimitsu, Kunimitsu, King/Armor King, Nina, Anna, Christie, Eddy, Alisa, and Zafina would all be welcome in my collection.

I'll go ahead and second that plea for Soul Caliber too. :buttrock:

JP Sarri
10-12-2014, 07:31 AM
I don't have a problem with his first post but with his second one. Affirming than Tekken is the highest selling Franchise of all times is rather deceptive. That rumor has been around for quite some time.

First of all, Sony has been very supportive of Tekken from day one. After all, every single game has run on the cabinet playstation hardware before being ported to home consoles and handheld devises. The games have been given away with PS2, PS3 and PSP bundles. People were only interested in the consoles and got Tekken games, not necessarily because they wanted them, but because they were freebies. Those million copies were also added to the count by Namco only as a sales pitch.

I am not trying to downgrade Tekken. I have also played and enjoyed every single game in the franchise. I still remember when the first Tekken came out after the now classic Virtua Fighter. It was and still is very impressive. I believe that they need more collectibles for sure so I voted "yes" on the poll, but I cannot support the deceptive idea that Namco Fighting's flagship has been financially more successful than Street Fighter only based on the amount of console copies sold (or given away for that matter).

Liad
10-12-2014, 07:56 AM
jpsarri: My point was that it's a popular franchise as witnessed by sales (which is a good reason for a company to gauge what can be done with the brand), so it's weird that there aren't Kits out there (or any merchandise for that matter). I'm not arguing whether Tekken is good or bad, just that by looking at hard game sales (from the last 20+ years) you can see that there's a market.

SNK on the other hand, has less sales, so it's harder to justify more merchandise based on game sales alone:

-KoF 13 has sold 0.29 million copies since releasing in 2011
-TTT2 sold 0.85 million copies in its first month

You see the difference right? I'm not arguing popularity between franchises, or that Tekken is financially more successful than Street Fighter. I'm trying to put forth an objective argument why Tekken is a worthwhile brand to make merchandise off of.

Why anyone is seeing it as an attack on SF is beyond me. One guy gets my point apparently, the rest are swinging wildly.

-Has Tekken sold more copies than Street Fighter ? Yes. Really doesn't matter how they did it. If NAMCO are smarter advertisers than Capcom, I can't help that.
-Has Tekken made more money as a BRAND than Street Fighter ? definitely not, and i'm not arguing that.

TL;DR :

-Tekken is the highest-selling fighting game FRANCHISE (game copies are what counts).
-Street Fighter is the highest-selling fighting game BRAND (anything with Street Fighter on it is what counts). Street Fighter defined the fighting game genre, was explosively popular in the 90s, and is the reason why Tekken/Virtua Fighter/pretty much every other fighting game out there exists to begin with. It has copious amounts of documentaries, obsessive fans, and is a part of the pop culture. But it still doesn't change the fact that Tekken is the highest-selling fighting game FRANCHISE.

Now give this (hugely subjective) discussion a rest. Do you want Tekken kits: yes or no? it's not hard.

JP Sarri
10-12-2014, 08:15 AM
SNK bread and butter has always been in the cabinet arcade business. King of fighter 94 (the same year the first Tekken was introduced) brought characters from other sussesful games already in existence (Art of Fighting, Fatal Fury, Ichari warriors, Psycho Soldier). These character have been around a lot longer than Tekken therefore the collectible appeal. Specially when the ones that have the deep pockets to burn in the high end marketplace, grew up in that era (now in their mid 30's and early 40's). Most Tekken players nowadays are in their 20's. Many of them do not have the means to get into the high end collectible world. Not yet, but at some point I am sure they will. That is when we are going to see more statues and kits. Give it time.

demonhunter
10-12-2014, 09:41 AM
I would be interested in Tekken model kits and statues.

But if it were SNK characters, my first choice would be Iori Yagami & Kyo Kusanagi to start off the line up, followed by Terry Bogard and Joe Higashi.

JP Sarri
10-12-2014, 10:09 AM

But if it were SNK characters, my first choice would be Iori Yagami & Kyo Kusanagi to start off the line up, followed by Terry Bogard and Joe Higashi.

Most definitely. :thumbs2:

Grifterr
10-12-2014, 10:36 AM

Yes, we can even mix those up with the SF kits to create the ultimate Capcom vs SNK character display.
(Mr Karate vs Akuma for instance)

After that K' should be next up, he is mad cool.

demonhunter
10-12-2014, 10:37 AM
Oh yeah, Mr Karate. Love that long nose mask and K'!

Artsta
10-15-2014, 10:47 AM
Yeah I mean it's cool for those interested, but I'm not a Tekken fan and wouldn't buy a kit of it.

As far as fighting game merch/kits I'd buy Street Fighter, Mortal Kombat, Marvel vs Capcom, and Dead or Alive.

KoF never pulled me in. Tekken never pulled me in. Soul Calibur got me to buy 1 game. But I'd only buy a Ivy Statue. Everything else is blah to me.

masterlei13
10-22-2014, 05:09 AM
Tekken would be the best and most intelligent choice. I played Tekken since the mid 90's and i would be the happiest person in the world if it happens. but of course, i would prefer pre-painted statues.

by the way, Tekken is a game played in WorldCyberGames, no Street Fighter to date i would guess. in EVO, most Americans knew they have a very little chance of winning in Tekken so why watch it. hehe.

JP Sarri
10-22-2014, 12:16 PM
Tekken would be the best and most intelligent choice. I played Tekken since the mid 90's and i would be the happiest person in the world if it happens. but of course, i would prefer pre-painted statues.

by the way, Tekken is a game played in WorldCyberGames, no Street Fighter to date i would guess. in EVO, most Americans knew they have a very little chance of winning in Tekken so why watch it. hehe.

Dead or Alive and Virtual Fighter competitions were hosted prior to Tekken 6. Also, Super Street Fighter IV Arcade Edition was in the last games but not Tekken. The tournament was hosted in the US three times and competitors came from all over the world (just as EVO).

As of now, World Cyber Games no longer exists (last tournament was in 2013) but EVO remains strong and brings fighters from each continent every year. In fact, EVO has hosted Tekken competitions since its creation. Some of the best Tekken fighters in the world are actually Americans, so saying that Americans cannot compete is biased and ignorant.

I for once, rather play a combo oriented game like Street Fighter than a button smasher like Tekken. :radior:

thebatmanfan
10-22-2014, 02:30 PM
King, Iron King, Yoshimitsu, Kunimitsu, Bryan, man i can think of lots of characters that would make great statues. And replying to the post up top... any game can be a button smashing game... tekken definitely has combos to it, you must not know how to play

JP Sarri
10-22-2014, 06:15 PM
King, Iron King, Yoshimitsu, Kunimitsu, Bryan, man i can think of lots of characters that would make great statues. And replying to the post up top... any game can be a button smashing game... tekken definitely has combos to it, you must not know how to play

I do. I have played every Tekken since the first one. That does not change the fact that it is still a button smasher. Just sayin'. :muahaha:

masterlei13
10-23-2014, 05:40 AM
I hope Mr. Erick will someday sculpt Tekken statues.

it weird but Knee of Korea and Nobi of Japan got the gold medals in WCG. and we true Tekken players know for sure that, It's the only fighting game thats non button smashing!

PermaGrin
10-24-2014, 11:30 AM
Yes please.
While I am not into kits at the moment.

If the only way to get a nice Yoshimitsu is a kit, then so be it.

Tekken 3 version preferably.

crankyjammies
10-26-2014, 09:31 AM
Yes please.
While I am not into kits at the moment.

If the only way to get a nice Yoshimitsu is a kit, then so be it.

Tekken 3 version preferably.

When I was a kid, the first fighting game I played was Street Fighter and Mortal Kombat. But the fighting game that I loved and really never got tired of playing was Tekken. Tekken 3 to be precise, back when the first Playstation came out.

I don't really care whichever fighting game is the most successful or whichever has the most sales. I'd love Prototypez to get a Tekken license because I simply love the game. If they do decide on getting the license, I know I'd get all the characters.

crankyjammies
10-26-2014, 09:39 AM
On top of my list are:
Jin
Devil Jin
Kazuya
Heihachi
Paul Phoenix
Marshal Law
Yoshimitsu
Bob
Eddy Gordo

JP Sarri
10-26-2014, 03:04 PM
Tekken 3 was a beast! No doubt about it. :radior:

crankyjammies
10-26-2014, 08:15 PM
Tekken 3 was a beast! No doubt about it. :radior:

For me, that's still the best in the series. It's a classic.

JP Sarri
10-26-2014, 08:36 PM
For me, that's still the best in the series. It's a classic.

Definitely. :)

markuz30
10-26-2014, 09:37 PM
Tekken is one of my favorite games of all time, well it only comes 3rd in my list as my 2nd all time favorite game is the classic X-men Vs. Street Fighter... and of course the top spot goes to Street Fighter.. hahaha.. I will definitely buy Michelle Chang, Julia Chang, Christie, Nina, Jin, Bryan and Hwoarang in a heartbeat if ever they get created..

ryuhayabusa6787
10-28-2014, 05:59 PM
Kazuya
Heihachi
King

is all i need. don't care for anyone else.

rhy
10-28-2014, 07:14 PM
If this ever happens Devil Jin & King are characters id buy
http://vladivostok3000.ru/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/Tekken.jpg

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_TcdsMfQV9J8/TG-9pkhWqwI/AAAAAAAAAM0/C5GCXSjc2f4/s1600/tekken+king+banner2.jpg

crankyjammies
11-03-2014, 12:30 AM
Rhy, if Erick Sosa could recreate those character models that you posted (as I'm sure he can), this line would simply be the most amazing, and I'd be willing to give up my marvel collection for it.

I'm one of the few who love the Tekken series and it'd be great if PrototypeZ gets the license.

Jokerbone
11-03-2014, 09:41 AM
I call that BS. That only reflects resent consoles copies sales and not all time sales. If Tekken was as popular as you claim it to be, we will have tons of merchandise from them, but that is not the case as you can see. I grew up in the arcade era and the fighting scene. I've been around the world so believe me when I tell you that Street Fighter is 10 times more popular than Tekken. If you don't believe me, check Evo to see which games bring more players and viewers to the tournament.

Agreed. My childhood was spent growing up on Street Fighter 2. Tekken didn't pop up on my radar until Tekken 3. Back in the days where you had to buy gaming magazines to read up on reviews and news.

dao2
11-03-2014, 02:58 PM
I'd be interested in King/Armor King and that's about it :P

rhy
11-04-2014, 02:52 AM
Rhy, if Erick Sosa could recreate those character models that you posted (as I'm sure he can), this line would simply be the most amazing, and I'd be willing to give up my marvel collection for it.
Agreed, If Sosa were to sculpt anything Tekken related it will certainly be in a class of its own. But giving up Marvel... theres no way i could pass on his upcoming Koto Wolvie :)

crankyjammies
11-04-2014, 04:22 AM
Agreed, If Sosa were to sculpt anything Tekken related it will certainly be in a class of its own. But giving up Marvel... theres no way i could pass on his upcoming Koto Wolvie :)

Touché.