PDA

View Full Version : XM Doc Oc 1:4

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

Bullseye
01-07-2015, 01:58 PM
http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j12/statueforum/9F31DA5C-01FE-4FB6-B997-EC4396444CF5_zpsucbzpmiz.jpg (http://s76.photobucket.com/user/statueforum/media/9F31DA5C-01FE-4FB6-B997-EC4396444CF5_zpsucbzpmiz.jpg.html)

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j12/statueforum/5F4E04AC-D86F-4882-894B-CE0DAAE42678_zps6u9q18ie.jpg (http://s76.photobucket.com/user/statueforum/media/5F4E04AC-D86F-4882-894B-CE0DAAE42678_zps6u9q18ie.jpg.html)

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j12/statueforum/C115C091-0F01-44F8-BCE7-88CA9825595F_zpswqolnuve.jpg (http://s76.photobucket.com/user/statueforum/media/C115C091-0F01-44F8-BCE7-88CA9825595F_zpswqolnuve.jpg.html)

Smooth Criminal
01-07-2015, 02:00 PM
Wow i need to start another job! xm keeps hitting out of the park!

supermetroid
01-07-2015, 02:03 PM
Well this a surprise lol

StringKeyRhythm
01-07-2015, 02:08 PM
Super stoked that XM is finally taking on the Spidey line! Consider this already bought for me! With that, I would add a bit of constructive criticism: the gun doesn't fit the character and his gut is too large. Perhaps have his right hand reach out towards something rather than hold on to that gun.

I'm still in shock. EFFF YEAH!!!

majestic1
01-07-2015, 02:09 PM
Looking good, maybe reduce the size of the claws by about 20-30%, they look huge.

Mamba
01-07-2015, 02:09 PM
Awesome, but don't like it with the gun and he needs to be on diet. He looks kind of too fat :)

I am sure XM will improve it and this will be bought.

majestic1
01-07-2015, 02:14 PM
I would add a bit of constructive criticism: the gun doesn't fit the character and his gut is too large.

I agree about the futuristic looking pistol, seems out of place for the character, his powerful tentacles or more than enough of a threat.

supermetroid
01-07-2015, 02:17 PM
Super stoked that XM is finally taking on the Spidey line! Consider this already bought for me! With that, I would add a bit of constructive criticism: the gun doesn't fit the character and his gut is too large. Perhaps have his right hand reach out towards something rather than hold on to that gun.

Agreed. And it would also be more dynamic if he wasn't standing on his feet imo.

supermetroid
01-07-2015, 02:19 PM
Also, it's almost too symmetrical

GrumpyBear
01-07-2015, 02:20 PM
"Some wip on 1/4 scale DR OCTOPUS .....all comments are welcome,this will help our new artist (david.P)to grow....." FB XM

Looks amazing, but maybe change the following. Upper arms more dynamic and to the side. Just one arm to the ground for holding balance and the other holding something. Doc is not slim, but please reduce the waist a little bit. He is not so big.

Anything else great work. :thumbs2:

The General
01-07-2015, 02:23 PM
No gun. I like that he's fat. Maybe a little less belly though. Wish these guys had a US license.

Bullseye
01-07-2015, 02:23 PM
Seems to be a hybrid movie/comic version. The one thing is say at his stage is that he is a scientist not a weight lifter. I'd tone down the biceps. Also think a long coat would be better for the character. Pose looks great but drop the gun.c

ambasah
01-07-2015, 02:29 PM
I think xm needs to look at the bowen piece for some inspiration. his tentacles should be far more dynamic.

Ceive
01-07-2015, 02:30 PM
Sideshow bye bye bye...

Overkill93
01-07-2015, 02:33 PM
If.......They are going to build a Sinister Six, maybe the arms make some sense, for Space. Drop 30lb's. Bowen's is really top marks. But I saw a commission that was above all on SM; The Real Juggernaut. I will look for a pic,

Spidey976
01-07-2015, 02:34 PM
Awesome work David

Demona
01-07-2015, 02:34 PM
Ooooooohhhhhhh snap.

Let the Spidey-fest begin. I expect lots of awesome villians.

But Doc looks like he has arms like Thor. I'm pretty sure that's not accurate.

I also think the arms (mechanical) would look better with some movement and depth. Forward and back to give a real moving effect. Too static, but REALLY well designed.

risingstar
01-07-2015, 02:35 PM

That was my first thought as well. However, what an awesome choice for a statue!

P.S. Love the larger claws. It makes him even more ominous!

Overkill93
01-07-2015, 02:40 PM
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8395/8638323023_7353c0c0d4.jpg

Remember Me?
01-07-2015, 02:41 PM
The tentacles need to "Swirl" more.

The pose needs to be more dynamic. Make him look like he's reaching forward to grab somebody using his right hand.

If possible, use the bottom two tentacles to support the whole statue. In other words, make Dr. Octopus suspended by the bottom two tentacles.

A change of head with sunglasses...not goggle.

The head needs more expression. I prefer him to have a grin or show some teeth.

And...I am done.

BTW, I don't think he's too fat. Not all villians are body builders.

supermetroid
01-07-2015, 02:46 PM
This is really going to be tough competition, as the Spider-man license is one that SS does very well. I think SS is going with very dynamic poses for their new line so it's going to be very interesting to compare character to character and I can't wait!

Lawnknome
01-07-2015, 02:49 PM
This is really going to be tough competition, as the Spider-man license is one that SS does very well. I think SS is going with very dynamic poses for their new line so it's going to be very interesting to compare character to character and I can't wait!

You are right, the SS pieces are great, but SS has also never taken a chance on other characters. They have multiple spideys, a green goblin and hobgoblin, and the symbiotes. Thats it really. Most not in true 1/4th either.

Folks have been hounding them for a Sinister Six forever. Now XM gonna step to the plate. I need me some Mysterio, Shocker, and Venom

madmanny
01-07-2015, 02:51 PM
I don't need the gun, but I expect that would just be a switch out.

Holding a spiderman mask would be cool.

I prefer a more classic look to doc Ock. I would like to see feet off the floor, no muscles, just tubby.

Very cool to see a company finally tackle Otto.

Restinpieces
01-07-2015, 02:55 PM
WOW!

Atheris
01-07-2015, 02:55 PM
So sick!

Gezz XM...might as well set up auto withdrawal from my bank now for you guys.

Chris

madmanny
01-07-2015, 02:58 PM
A more comic book style switch out head would be nice also.

I do not think the harness needs to be on show either.

toe
01-07-2015, 03:15 PM
His feet doesn't need to touch the ground. He usually uses the tentacles when he walks

Ohrai_Fan
01-07-2015, 03:17 PM
I'm 100% in to purchase this piece as is and would likely be down for whatever adjustments are made. These are my thoughts on the critiques and suggestions so far:

-I like the muscular arms and I think people forget how idealized these characters were even back in the day
http://img1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20130921055322/marveldatabase/images/6/64/Amazing_Spider-Man_Vol_1_158_Variant.jpg

-The pot belly might be a bit excessive, might be

-Not a fan of the gun, a switch out fist would be preferred

-It could be more dynamic overall. I think a pose where Doc Oc is adhered to a wall and facing outward (a la the SS Spiderman Comiquette), with maybe an arm or 2 on the ground for support would put this on par with your magneto. Imagine the following image with the top 2 arms turned around and gripping/breaking a brick wall and Doc Oc himself preparing a punch.

http://s118.photobucket.com/user/beamer0814/media/Spider-man%20Series/photobucket-5246-1328233784189.jpg.html

-Large Claws Look Great

Overall its spectacular. You guys are incredible.

yeek
01-07-2015, 03:18 PM
I love a chubby Doc Ock...

GrumpyBear
01-07-2015, 03:18 PM
His feet doesn't need to touch the ground. He usually uses the tentacles when he walks

Ok, but he will be 1/4 full sculpted. I think it is to much weight for two tentacles.

toe
01-07-2015, 03:20 PM
http://www.spriters-resource.com/resources/sheets/48/50682.png

StringKeyRhythm
01-07-2015, 03:20 PM
The overall pose definitely has to be more dynamic. As for his "lifted from the ground" suggestion, I'm all for it if it can be done. It might be difficult though considering how XM doesn't hollow out their statues. The two tentacles on the bottom won't be able to hold up the rest of the statue.

toe
01-07-2015, 03:23 PM
Maybe even a removable lab coat option?

toe
01-07-2015, 03:24 PM
i love this image. He is using his tentacles to remove his eyeglasses and lab coat.

http://i.annihil.us/u/prod/marvel/i/mg/c/60/4f4bf9fe041a5.jpg

Bmutha
01-07-2015, 03:27 PM
The tentacles need to "Swirl" more.

The pose needs to be more dynamic. Make him look like he's reaching forward to grab somebody using his right hand.

If possible, use the bottom two tentacles to support the whole statue. In other words, make Dr. Octopus suspended by the bottom two tentacles.

A change of head with sunglasses...not goggle.

The head needs more expression. I prefer him to have a grin or show some teeth.

And...I am done.

BTW, I don't think he's too fat. Not all villians are body builders.

These are good suggestions.

Bmutha
01-07-2015, 03:28 PM
i love this image. He is using his tentacles to remove his eyeglasses and lab coat.

I remember thinking the part in SM2 where he uses the tentacle to take off his glasses was awesome!

StringKeyRhythm
01-07-2015, 03:37 PM

I think something like this could reach Grail status. It's different from anything else I've seen.

toe
01-07-2015, 03:44 PM
Yup. Its has more XM essence than the one shown. For me, it is too static. Need more fluidity. Need that XM flare like the pic I posted. Using his tentacles as his extra hands.

Viper245
01-07-2015, 03:47 PM
Good call toe and Remember Me. I am down with all of those suggestions and think they will put this piece over the top if XM can incorporate them into the design.

Bobfrog
01-07-2015, 04:03 PM
Woohoo, finally! was hoping this wasn't gonna be sidetracked / halted by the recent SS announcement. Glad its all still going ahead.

Seems to be a hybrid movie/comic version. The one thing is say at his stage is that he is a scientist not a weight lifter. I'd tone down the biceps. Also think a long coat would be better for the character. Pose looks great but drop the gun.c

Yeah, maybe even a lab coat rather than just a coat.

Agreed on the toning down of muscles and belly.

Was really hoping this would have had him off the ground. That's my biggest thing with this. I just don't picture him walking on the floor at all but rather nonchalantly hanging in mid air whilst his tentacles did all the hard work.

Wish they were a bit longer too cos, when I picture Doc vs Spidey it's always those comic book pages (larsen I think) where they were really long and sidey was having to do some major weaving in and out. That for me was spidey vs doc at its best. but I understand the restrictions and i guess you could say that they are coiled up like a slinky.

Gun doesn't seem completely in line with the character to me. Each to his own though. Guess it could be a SO.

As for the pose I would prefer maybe with slighlty more movement in, the tentacles should look like they are ready to strike (like a snake) and maybe he could be leaning forward.

Will be interesting to see how this all pans out against the SS pieces. This will be hard to beat.

Another knockout in the making.

marker2037
01-07-2015, 04:39 PM
Decent start.

I agree with a lot of the comments so far: His gut is too fat, his muscles are way too pronounced as he needs to be "chubby", I don't like the gun, his tentacles aren't positioned great (if he's standing on the ground then why does he need the other 2 tentacles also on the ground? Seems like a waste, have his feet in the air or his tentacles in the air. Also his vertical tentacles could use some better positioning).

Not a bad overall design though.

acme1982
01-07-2015, 04:43 PM
http://i59.tinypic.com/2mewgp2.jpg

For me this pic is a example for a epic pose for a XM statue. Four mechanical arms tread down to support the weight of the statue.

darkeyes
01-07-2015, 05:25 PM
Crap...crap...crap! I was trying to stay away from XM Statues but this is the one figure I wanted most of all, my favorite Marvel character. Oh well, odds are I will not find a place to order him from anyway lol.

SideShowJoe
01-07-2015, 05:40 PM
I was hoping for pose where his two bottom tentacles was lifting him up so as his feet were floating but this is cool and also wish the top two were out more instead if straight up looks too symmetrical would be cool if you could manipulate like wolf predator whip but understand the challenges ! Looks great though so far ....

Sarah

Webb
01-07-2015, 06:06 PM
Another nail in the coffin...:) Very Nice.:drooling:

wanderlai
01-07-2015, 06:24 PM
Thank goodness I'm not big into Spider Man land. My first love is X-Men then Avengers. I'm interested in maybe their take on Spider Man and the Green Goblin

rhy
01-07-2015, 06:24 PM
posable tentacle please, w/ an aluminum finish.

nexus
01-07-2015, 06:49 PM
Overall I think this is a great start.

Just my thoughts:
1. Not as fat, he almost looks pregnant. Muscle definition could also be toned down.
2. Agree the machine gun doesn't fit the character. The tentacles are the weapons. One of those could be wielding a gun. His hands would likely be holding whatever look he might have stolen. Or could be balled in fists ready to fight Spidey.
3. The two top tentacles could each be doing something different with a swap-out.
4a. One option could be that he's just broken into a bank so there. So the rubble theme base would make sense. He could be making off with bags of money
4b. A second option could be science themed. He could either have broken in and stolen technology and materials. Or if the floor were a lab instead of rubble he could be conducting an experiment (he is a mad scientist after all)
5. Needs more of a "bowl" haircut.
6. Swap-out portraits with sunglasses and high-tech goggles.
7. Ideally tentacles should be supporting him, or at least that should be the illusion as opposed to him standing on the rubble base.

vorpoll
01-07-2015, 06:51 PM
What if the tentacles were posable. ...

Hellboy
01-07-2015, 07:23 PM
This looks amazing!

SideShowJoe
01-07-2015, 07:32 PM
What if the tentacles were posable. ...

That's what I said above or even of bottom were fixed make the top two poseable and you have support on bottom and flexibility and customization on top to collectors preference up in the air aiming at foe or placed strategically so that they are close to spiderman head to make a diorama look??? Huh? What do you think about that??

Sarah

StringKeyRhythm
01-07-2015, 07:39 PM
Not feeling the idea of posable arms. I'd sooner opt for switch out-arms than that.

DynamicMenace
01-07-2015, 07:47 PM
pretty cool. but yet again, the head seems to be a bit too small. thats def something that needs to be corrected. and i agree, i think he should be up off the base and only being supported by his tentacles.
at least only have one foot connected to the base. and mix up the positions of the tentacles. have each one in a different place/position to give it more of an appearance that they have a mind of their own and are doing different things. the gun reminds me of the old ToyBiz 10" action figure. i think that had one.. id def loos it. considering the arms are based on what they were in Spiderman 2, give Doc Oc some trinnium.

crazytoynut
01-07-2015, 08:28 PM
Doubt tentacles supporting a floating body is practical, considering leaning and balancing issues. If he's just standing, might as well have them tentacles all up in the air.

His body frame looks weird, muscular top half torso but pot belly at bottom, reminds me of E Honda.

Also not liking the tentacles rectangular-ish shapes, prefer round ones like comics.

Sharkey
01-07-2015, 08:35 PM
OOOOO!!!! :buttrock: Can we please get a Superior Spiderman to go alongside him (preferably with the mechanical arms on the suit) to stand behind him mirroring him? Would be an awesome diorama to set up to show Otto's glory!

Peedi
01-07-2015, 09:26 PM
I like what I see so far. Being the comic guy I am of course I have my own preferences, I mostly prefer designs closer to the comics.

- tentacle shape isn't a killer but I prefer rounded tentacles form the comics

- harness hidden underneath his clothes

- tentacle poses are too symetrical, would like to see them varied a bit and more aggressive.

- the pose slightly altered to be more aggressive...lean him forward a bit to give him movement, like he's going towards something...Doc Oc is a goal driven man, let's see that reflected.

- his deal is the tentacles, he doesn't need a gun.

- take a bit off his belly

Overall good start for the new sculptor David P. and for us!

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j12/statueforum/9F31DA5C-01FE-4FB6-B997-EC4396444CF5_zpsucbzpmiz.jpg (http://s76.photobucket.com/user/statueforum/media/9F31DA5C-01FE-4FB6-B997-EC4396444CF5_zpsucbzpmiz.jpg.html)

Demona
01-07-2015, 11:02 PM
Crap...crap...crap! I was trying to stay away from XM Statues but this is the one figure I wanted most of all, my favorite Marvel character. Oh well, odds are I will not find a place to order him from anyway lol.

Oh it can be done. There are ways. Just don't wait til the last minute :)

Spidey976
01-07-2015, 11:09 PM
Oh just so you guys know I am pretty sure David P the sculptor on this one is a member here. Nice to see.

Sharkey
01-07-2015, 11:46 PM
I like what I see so far. Being the comic guy I am of course I have my own preferences, I mostly prefer designs closer to the comics.

- tentacle poses are too symetrical, would like to see them varied a bit and more aggressive.

- the pose slightly altered to be more aggressive...lean him forward a bit to give him movement, like he's going towards something...Doc Oc is a goal driven man, let's see that reflected.

Well said, although I could take the tentacles either way. The movie versions look really sick, but i am good with either.

SONICobra
01-08-2015, 12:06 AM
overall looks pretty awesome, I like the pose and the base the arms look sick as hell

things I would look at:
- he appears to have a power lifters physique? there should be slightly less definition especially in the serratus area. you cant have a belly like that and visible serratus muscles
- boots look a little bulky to me
- I don't see the need for a gun but if its included as a switch out that's always nice to have options

DaviDPereira
01-08-2015, 12:58 AM
Working on it!

Spidey976
01-08-2015, 06:44 AM
Working on it!

David this is an amazing piece of work. Especially since you weren't done with it yet. I can't wait to see what else you do with it.

acme1982
01-08-2015, 07:34 AM
I made this morning a doc oc concept art, this is a little idea that I thought. I hope that you like it.

http://i62.tinypic.com/swu4b4.jpg

Dusk
01-08-2015, 08:01 AM
I like this "Superior" Doc Otto.

http://i.imgur.com/0lXXhqP.jpg

Apetina
01-08-2015, 08:10 AM
I made this morning a doc oc concept art, this is a little idea that I thought. I hope that you like it.

Nice concept!! That pose rocks :buttrock:

About the initial Doc, is a good start but as many have said it needs a couple of changes that I'm sure they will come!

Nice to see that the Spider-man line has started :):buttrock:

StringKeyRhythm
01-08-2015, 08:29 AM

Awesome concept! It definitely gives off that wow factor that we're accustomed to from XM studios.

StringKeyRhythm
01-08-2015, 08:30 AM
Working on it!

Keep up the awesome work, David! :buttrock:

Outlaw44
01-08-2015, 09:04 AM

Nice sketch! That is definitely a cool idea and makes great use of all his arms. I also like the little money bags on the base! I've always been a fan of little additions to bases that reflect the personality of the characters and add to the overall allure of the sculpt.

majestic1
01-08-2015, 09:39 AM

Good points.

I agree about the tentacle shape, I'd much prefer the more comic book cylindrical look than a straight up copy of the huge arms from Raimi's Spiderman 2, the look of the arms sneaked in the latest Spiderman movie had an excellent design.

http://i57.tinypic.com/2mn57n.jpg

Demona
01-08-2015, 09:46 AM
Working on it!

You're already crushing this piece. I can't wait to see what your tinkering to it brings next :)

Great work!

Spidey976
01-08-2015, 09:48 AM

While this IS a great concept I think there is a lot there that is a VERY specific to a stand alone statue that isn't necessarily meant to fit in with a "line" of statues, and if there is one thing that XM has proven with it's bases and general concept designs is that their "lines" are meant to go together, and compliment each other. I have a feeling that when we see this ENTIRE line together we are going to be seeing the threat aimed DIRECTLY at Spiderman. Not just a bunch of villains posturing.

Lawnknome
01-08-2015, 10:10 AM
While this IS a great concept I think there is a lot there that is a VERY specific to a stand alone statue that isn't necessarily meant to fit in with a "line" of statues, and if there is one thing that XM has proven with it's bases and general concept designs is that their "lines" are meant to go together, and compliment each other. I have a feeling that when we see this ENTIRE line together we are going to be seeing the threat aimed DIRECTLY at Spiderman. Not just a bunch of villains posturing.

Too be fair, this is very much a dynamic pose and base he drew up. The base pieces could be swapped out for whatever theme necessary. And Doc Oc actually would posture a lot while his arms did the work. I could see this as a pose of him climbing over rubble in a battle to get at spidey while he had the upper hand. His showmanship and ego would show through, this is generally where Spidey could turn the battle.

acme1982
01-08-2015, 11:17 AM
Thanks for your answers. I wanted to draw what we all want for a villain as doc oc, a dynamic pose using all their arms. Spidey976 the base that I have proposed is just an idea, but I think it is clear what we seek with this character.

Viper245
01-08-2015, 11:21 AM
Working on it!

Great job so far, David! Looking forward to seeing how you tweak the initial concept.

Some great stuff in that drawing, acme. It captures the essence of Doc Oc well. :thumbs2:

Peedi
01-08-2015, 12:10 PM
Good points.

I agree about the tentacle shape, I'd much prefer the more comic book cylindrical look than a straight up copy of the huge arms from Raimi's Spiderman 2, the look of the arms sneaked in the latest Spiderman movie had an excellent design.

http://i57.tinypic.com/2mn57n.jpg

They did, I liked that harness. One of the handful of things I liked about that movie...ugh, that movie...its on cable now and I keep seeing how much of it was done so awfully wrong, lol

Spidey976
01-08-2015, 12:38 PM
Thanks for your answers. I wanted to draw what we all want for a villain as doc oc, a dynamic pose using all their arms. Spidey976 the base that I have proposed is just an idea, but I think it is clear what we seek with this character.

I think it is clear what some seek for this character not what "we" all want to see. I myself Like the current pose, but I would like the arms to have more of a sense of motion to them. I might tweak Ocks gutt in a bit and maybe bring his upper body forward a bit to give this more movement, BUT I also would like to see how all of the pieces are meant to fit together BEFORE I made a call on that kind of change. Acme your sketch is a SOLID design and I like it a lot. I am just saying that right now I personally would like to see more of the big picture before I made to much of a comment on the design.

acme1982
01-08-2015, 01:10 PM
I think it is clear what some seek for this character not what "we" all want to see. I myself Like the current pose, but I would like the arms to have more of a sense of motion to them. I might tweak Ocks gutt in a bit and maybe bring his upper body forward a bit to give this more movement, BUT I also would like to see how all of the pieces are meant to fit together BEFORE I made a call on that kind of change. Acme your sketch is a SOLID design and I like it a lot. I am just saying that right now I personally would like to see more of the big picture before I made to much of a comment on the design.

I am agree with you too.

DaviDPereira
01-08-2015, 01:32 PM
David this is an amazing piece of work. Especially since you weren't done with it yet. I can't wait to see what else you do with it.

Great concept!
Keep up the awesome work, David! :buttrock:

You're already crushing this piece. I can't wait to see what your tinkering to it brings next :)

Great work!

Great job so far, David! Looking forward to seeing how you tweak the initial concept.

Some great stuff in that drawing, acme. It captures the essence of Doc Oc well. :thumbs2:

Thanks guys! Still tweaking things around..

XM STUDIOS
01-08-2015, 01:49 PM
Be patience , this is just the early WIP. Just wait for the final review .

A R E S
01-08-2015, 03:12 PM
No Problem, but i think especially having both tentacles and feet on the floor is a big design decision and so i can understand voicing the opinion, that this doesn't suit Doc Ock as it should with an XM Ock.

Spidey976
01-08-2015, 11:36 PM
Be patience , this is just the early WIP. Just wait for the final review .

Can't wait to see this piece and David grow. You made a wise decision getting him on board guys.

No Problem, but i think especially having both tentacles and feet on the floor is a big design decision and so i can understand voicing the opinion, that this doesn't suit Doc Ock as it should with an XM Ock.

As would have all his weight supported by just the tentacles on the ground. I know it was done with smaller pieces, but was it ever done with a 1/4 piece?? That is a lot of weight.

StringKeyRhythm
01-09-2015, 01:25 AM
Can't wait to see this piece and David grow. You made a wise decision getting him on board guys.

As would have all his weight supported by just the tentacles on the ground. I know it was done with smaller pieces, but was it ever done with a 1/4 piece?? That is a lot of weight.

I wouldn't be opposed to hollowing out the resin in Doc Ock a bit and shedding the weight in order for a lifted pose to work... even if it is against one of XM's code.

rhy
01-09-2015, 03:48 AM
acme1982, great sketch!

XM, follow Bowens blue print by using posable tentacles, that way you set the stage for the most dynamic Doc Oct ever created. Great WIP By the way

Synzaic
01-09-2015, 04:35 AM
Do we really want posable arms? I think it takes away from it being a pure statue.....starts crossing into the figgure teritory....imo

rhy
01-09-2015, 04:46 AM
Do we really want posable arms? I think it takes away from it being a pure statue.....starts crossing into the figgure teritory....imo
not necessarily... Check out the pros of posable arms:

https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4142/4827933130_1d9dbb9337_z.jpg

http://holdyourfireal.smugmug.com/STATUE-TOY-and-OTHER-COMPANIES/Bowen-Designs/Full-Size-Up-for-Order/Doc20Oc/738414735_xRgCJ-L.jpg

https://farm3.staticflickr.com/2879/9528571712_a33017bf02_c.jpg

It's simply a matter of perspective. If XM does the posable arms route, hopefully it will be made from aluminum flex tube, which may enhance the overall 'feel' of the statue.

rhy
01-09-2015, 05:24 AM
The gist is. Posable tentacles, if done correctly would compliment the statue. Think of it as the equivalent to change out parts, only more practical. Practical in the sense that the switch out parts are already attached, all you have to do is adjust them to your preference.

majestic1
01-09-2015, 06:17 AM
Even just 1 or 2 of the tentacles could be pose-able and the others fixed in position, this will still give it unique display options.

StringKeyRhythm
01-09-2015, 08:19 AM

:iagree:

SideShowJoe
01-09-2015, 10:55 AM
Even just 1 or 2 of the tentacles could be pose-able and the others fixed in position, this will still give it unique display options.

That's what I said pages back just do top two poseable! Also I have Wolf Predator Legendary Scale Figure and it has poseable whip and it adds so much to the presences of the collectible I don't think if you had two poseable tentacles it wouldn't make it feel less than statue! I think it would give it more power and presences but I understand people's concern....

Sj

SONICobra
01-09-2015, 11:28 AM
if they made two or any of the arms poseable they would have to made of different material (obviously) but also more than likely would not be painted (molded in that color plastic) to prevent paint cracking. is that really what you guys want?

loricstone
01-09-2015, 12:24 PM
The gist is. Posable tentacles, if done correctly would compliment the statue. Think of it as the equivalent to change out parts, only more practical. Practical in the sense that the switch out parts are already attached, all you have to do is adjust them to your preference.

Additionally, XM is all about switch outs. What better way to change up your statue than to have bendable tentacle arms.

I am fine with it as is, but I don't think it would hurt.

Spidey976
01-09-2015, 12:41 PM
if they made two or any of the arms poseable they would have to made of different material (obviously) but also more than likely would not be painted (molded in that color plastic) to prevent paint cracking. is that really what you guys want?

Yeah ... I can't even imagine how the heck you would do this. It would go from being a highend collectible to part action figure.

Viper245
01-09-2015, 12:57 PM
I vote no for posable tentacles. Too many design and materials issues involved plus it will give it an action figure vibe which I want no part of.

Sharkey
01-09-2015, 01:20 PM
great sketch there acme! love the pose.

AC_808
01-09-2015, 01:33 PM
Posable tentacles are in the same level as light up features, IMO. What do you do once they break? Will you be able to fix it?

Also if two tentacles are sculpted and another two is posable, there's going to be color matching issues since the sculpted tentacles will need to match the unpainted posable tentacles. Although, I gotta say, XM might be able to pull it off. But it will add difficulty.

StringKeyRhythm
01-09-2015, 02:00 PM
Color mismatch, paint chipping, production costs, irrepairable damage,etc. There are just too many potential problems that could occur for the luxury of posable tentacles.

rhy
01-10-2015, 05:43 PM
Additionally, XM is all about switch outs. What better way to change up your statue than to have bendable tentacle arms.

I am fine with it as is, but I don't think it would hurt.
Exactly! Doc Ock's tentacles are a reflection of his villany. If the company can be successful in their creation of posable tentacles they would in essence be bringing the character to life.

Also if two tentacles are sculpted and another two is posable, there's going to be color matching issues since the sculpted tentacles will need to match the unpainted posable tentacles. Although, I gotta say, XM might be able to pull it off. But it will add difficulty.
Why do two tentacles have to differ from the other two? They can both be made of the same material (gooseneck aluminm?) except one set can move while the other doesn't. Why keep them affixed when the posable tentacles can be detached; thereby easing the fears re: break-ability and paint chipping. Why limit ourselves to only one pose and debate as to the pose. Does having posable tentacles make for more of an action figure? No more than interchangeable heads, arms or leds lights; rather it adds a bit of intrigue and enjoyment into owning a collectible. And consider if the tentacles are posable and affixed the value of having one in mint condition.

supermetroid
01-10-2015, 06:16 PM
I think most are rightfully concerned about the quality of bendable tubes(look at SS's Apocalypse). If they can do it and make it dependable over time while looking good, then I'm all for it. But if not, then I'll take quality over posing options.

Bobfrog
01-10-2015, 06:19 PM
they should just go all out as they're doing for wolvie and hawkeye and make them metal :smokin:

rebirthz
01-10-2015, 09:11 PM
My biggest concern for poseable tents would be if they will affect the longevity of the statue? Speaking to the xm guys the very reason they choose full sculpt is to ensure the statues last many years to come.

Correct me if i am wrong but if the tentacles are posable would likely mean they need to be make from some form of plastic or semi rubberlike material, which doesnt usually stand the test of time.

gaijin
01-10-2015, 09:18 PM
NIce. Are those bowens?

not necessarily... Check out the pros of posable arms:

https://farm3.staticflickr.com/2879/9528571712_a33017bf02_c.jpg

It's simply a matter of perspective. If XM does the posable arms route, hopefully it will be made from aluminum flex tube, which may enhance the overall 'feel' of the statue.

Smooth Criminal
01-10-2015, 09:18 PM
Yea, I say no to pose-able tents as well, i wouldnt ming metal tents though, would give it that high quality feel!

Synzaic
01-11-2015, 04:19 AM
With all the talk about posable tenticles being like switch out parts........switch out tenticles are like switch out parts.

Maybe just include switch out tenticles.

rhy
01-11-2015, 11:51 AM
NIce. Are those bowens?

All Bowens. Could you imagine how visually captivating it would be if they were all given the 1/4 scale XM treatment?

Restinpieces
01-11-2015, 03:35 PM
Poseable tents would be sick, maybe make a set optional swap outs as suggested to make everyone happy? :)

PureInvasion
01-11-2015, 04:48 PM
All Bowens. Could you imagine how visually captivating it would be if they were all given the 1/4 scale XM treatment?

I'd imagine how visually captivating watching my bank account drain would be if I owned all those in 1:4 :laugh:

rhy
01-11-2015, 05:01 PM
I'd imagine how visually captivating watching my bank account drain would be if I owned all those in 1:4 :laugh:
lol, I hear that! Factor in the cost of shipping for all six which will easily be over 1k and the sinister six will cost a small fortune.

Sharkey
01-11-2015, 07:15 PM
lol, I hear that! Factor in the cost of shipping for all six which will easily be over 1k and the sinister six will cost a small fortune.

Oh god... :vortex:

Welp time to shop that extra kidney around...

And here I thought the xmen line was going to wipe me out :eek:. My only hope (not actually wanting this, this is Sharkey's wallet taking the keyboard) is that the bases do not go together or anything, and I can just pick out which of the villains I can't do without and just focus on a multitude of amazing Spideys. :banghead::banghead::banghead:

AC_808
01-11-2015, 09:17 PM
Exactly! Doc Ock's tentacles are a reflection of his villany. If the company can be successful in their creation of posable tentacles they would in essence be bringing the character to life.

Why do two tentacles have to differ from the other two? They can both be made of the same material (gooseneck aluminm?) except one set can move while the other doesn't. Why keep them affixed when the posable tentacles can be detached; thereby easing the fears re: break-ability and paint chipping. Why limit ourselves to only one pose and debate as to the pose. Does having posable tentacles make for more of an action figure? No more than interchangeable heads, arms or leds lights; rather it adds a bit of intrigue and enjoyment into owning a collectible. And consider if the tentacles are posable and affixed the value of having one in mint condition.

Having two tentacles sculpted is so that Doc Oct can be suspended in the air as many have suggested. XM makes their statues solid so sculpted tentacles are needed to support him.

rhy
01-13-2015, 04:13 AM
Having two tentacles sculpted is so that Doc Oct can be suspended in the air as many have suggested. XM makes their statues solid so sculpted tentacles are needed to support him.
My man, you missed my point entirely. If the top tentacles are made from an aluminum alloy, there's no reason for the bottom two not be made from the same alloy. Also, since their main function is to support the statue, you could easily hide a very solid aluminum rod behind the tubing. Wouldn't you want aluminum tubing holding up your statue as opposed to porcelain?

http://www.traderscity.com/board/userpix52/31289-Interlock-Gooseneck-Tube-1.jpg

With gooseneck tubing, all they would need to do is give it a nice brushed finish, creating a very modern look, have it pre-bent and install, done. For those of us who want a custom look, all we have to do is adjust until we like what we see :)

Synzaic
01-13-2015, 06:10 AM
Scary...it's like a metal snake . I'm out :)

rhy
01-13-2015, 07:11 AM
Scary...it's like a metal snake . I'm out :)Don't be, the tubing pictured is just for reference, obviously custom tubing will be needed. Don't worry, about what I type I'm just geeking out of the thought of Doc Ock :)

Lawnknome
01-13-2015, 08:23 AM

I absolutely need a 1/4th Mysterio. No one has given this dude love except bowen. I get that on the Spidey scale he is a bit low, but his costume and character were always awesome to me. I would like him way more than a Kraven, Vulture, or Electro.

majestic1
01-13-2015, 08:33 AM

With gooseneck tubing, all they would need to do is give it a nice brushed finish, creating a very modern look, have it pre-bent and install, done. For those of us who want a custom look, all we have to do is adjust until we like what we see :)

That tubing looks spot-on for the classic tentacle design.

http://i60.tinypic.com/10pdb1u.jpg

Bullseye
01-13-2015, 09:11 AM
Doc Oc actually exists.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9wr4xXdrUyg

Sharkey
01-13-2015, 11:21 AM
I absolutely need a 1/4th Mysterio. No one has given this dude love except bowen. I get that on the Spidey scale he is a bit low, but his costume and character were always awesome to me. I would like him way more than a Kraven, Vulture, or Electro.

God yes! XM would hit that outta the park so hard!

Doc Oc actually exists.

Omg that is awesome.

ryuhayabusa6787
01-13-2015, 12:49 PM
Doc Oc actually exists.

now we need shocker. hell its 2015 i'm sure shocker exist somewhere either him or whiplash

ryuhayabusa6787
01-13-2015, 12:50 PM
the gun needs to go it doesn't fit the character at all. doc ock is more about using his minds then weapons. hell he already is a weapon.

AC_808
01-13-2015, 08:42 PM
My man, you missed my point entirely. If the top tentacles are made from an aluminum alloy, there's no reason for the bottom two not be made from the same alloy. Also, since their main function is to support the statue, you could easily hide a very solid aluminum rod behind the tubing. Wouldn't you want aluminum tubing holding up your statue as opposed to porcelain?

Dude ...you need to start with that next time. You weren't that specific earlier.

In any case, it's enough to just state your idea here. XM will read it and if they like the idea they'll use. They've done it in the past. Don't feel like you have to campaign for your idea. That would just be a waste if time. :thumbs2:

rhy
01-14-2015, 07:23 PM
That tubing looks spot-on for the classic tentacle design.

http://i60.tinypic.com/10pdb1u.jpg

Exactly! this maybe one of the few occasion where modern day science catches up to fiction. Although, I do find XM updated design (in regards to the tentacles) a bit more appealing

Mr. Nice Guy
01-14-2015, 11:31 PM
Great looking piece. A few suggestions...

1 suspend: his tentacles should look more like they're doing the lifting. Get one boot off the ground that gives the illusion he's being hoisted upward.
2. No gun: drop the piece. Give him an old school money bag. Switch out hand?
3. Spread your legs: space out the tentacles. Like Chris Walken would say... "Explore the space".
4. Expression: give his face some expression. Switch out head?
5. Accentuate the base: a defining feature of Ock is his intellect and tech inventions. That said, I'd drop about 5 small spider bots on the base.
6. Give him a stash: get his tentacles carrying something. Fire hydrant? Money bags? Manhole cover?
7. Diet: he's a little too fat.

ShawnDeath
01-28-2015, 07:30 PM
In regards to the gun not being accurate, one of the earlier Spidey books I remember reading I looked back on for at least one time when Ock went to the gun well. =)

http://www.chasingamazingblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/Sandman-02.png

SuperJ300
04-30-2015, 03:13 AM
I'm really considering getting the Spider villains!!

built2shred
04-30-2015, 07:39 AM
Heck, I already got doc ock pre-pre ordered :)

GrumpyBear
05-07-2015, 05:55 AM
"Some wips on DR Octopus 1/4scale" XM FB

https://scontent-fra.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xfp1/v/t1.0-9/11011092_1546740392213321_6678902923551013434_n.jpg?oh=077f842d332aa46e5dc67cf30515c4c7&oe=55C1E750
https://fbcdn-sphotos-d-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xpa1/v/t1.0-9/11245474_1546740425546651_4197400873399796082_n.jpg?oh=3f3e051bc1c9033975278f0569e1d8ff&oe=55D59260&__gda__=1439843594_b23adeb582d2bb972303a7c0ded1b377
https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xpa1/v/t1.0-9/11201617_1546740455546648_4697394782551979690_n.jpg?oh=c67728f571979d30eade983c78ff6709&oe=55BFF934&__gda__=1439929694_c297c4f2577cafe1c36c4c88911d5c08

Bullseye
05-07-2015, 05:56 AM
Pose is great but why is he so buff? Tone it down please.

built2shred
05-07-2015, 06:43 AM
Now that looks awesome.... I wouldn't change a thing..... even in older designs Doc Ock had some biceps on him...

http://i.annihil.us/u/prod/marvel//universe3zx/images/thumb/f/f1/DragynWulf--DoctorOctopus(Octavius)_Head.jpg/406px-DragynWulf--DoctorOctopus(Octavius)_Head.jpg

Mqhuynh
05-07-2015, 06:44 AM
Why does he need a gun? Does he use a gun often?

GrumpyBear
05-07-2015, 06:51 AM

Who cares how often, you can switch the right hand. ;)

Mqhuynh
05-07-2015, 07:01 AM
How about some money bags? Looks like he smashed a place and just robbed it. Just sayin.

Hellsbells51
05-07-2015, 07:07 AM
Even if this shows more use of the tentacles, I like the original design better. Still looks good though, just not something I`d pay XM -> U.S. prices for. I can only buy so many 1:6, 1:4, busts, CGC comics, art and display cabinets/accessories before it gets too much. Regardless, I`m glad there are options out there for all collectors...keep doing your thing XM!

GrumpyBear
05-07-2015, 07:10 AM
Add from FB.

"XM Studios Premium Collectibles
We are looking into making the two mechanical arms on the top to be able for collectors to pose them self....enjoy."

Mqhuynh
05-07-2015, 07:12 AM
Would it be too unstable to have the two bottom arms shown in a walking stance? That would make Ock more dynamic.
The idea of poseable upper arms is great!

frenchyoutoo
05-07-2015, 07:35 AM
I still think a smashed peter parkers camera in there would be awesome!! Maybe in one of the tentacles hands on top or else one tentacle stepping on it on the ground.

Sharkey
05-07-2015, 07:57 AM

Yes he makes weapons and gadgets a lot. Also, the fun will probably be a switch out.

Love the design!

ambasah
05-07-2015, 10:06 AM
I am overjoyed with the changes. definite buy for me!

Restinpieces
05-07-2015, 11:30 AM
Changes look way better!

loricstone
05-07-2015, 11:51 AM
Pose is great but why is he so buff? Tone it down please.

You think he's buff?? He looks pudgy to me. I will relent though...you probably a better Doc Ock fan than I. So maybe he is.

I like this better than the standing pose...but I liked that one as well.

toe
05-07-2015, 11:58 AM
loks better. But I would suggest the right bottom tentacle to be on the metal than on the ground. gives a little more sense of movement.

Remember Me?
05-07-2015, 01:13 PM
"Some wips on DR Octopus 1/4scale" XM FB

https://scontent-fra.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xfp1/v/t1.0-9/11011092_1546740392213321_6678902923551013434_n.jpg?oh=077f842d332aa46e5dc67cf30515c4c7&oe=55C1E750

I don't like this pose at all. It reminds me so much Bowen statues. Instead of a fist, how about an open hand as if he is about to reach out and grab something?

nbr3bagshotrow
05-07-2015, 01:15 PM
I don't like this pose at all. It reminds me so much Bowen statues. Instead of a fist, how about an open hand as if he is about to reach out and grab something?
Bowers statue has doc ok on the ground with 4 flexible arms that can be posed in a multitude of positions. This couldn't be further from a Bowen piece.

Sharkey
05-07-2015, 01:22 PM

Doesn't look anything like Bowen's to me.

Also, I like the clentched fists as it is him being furious with Spidey and rilled up at his terrible jokes :P.

Now if he had like a santa bag of goodies or something as if this was from a heist then I could understand an open hand (as the switch out from the gun, the left would be the hand holding the bag, or maybe a tentacle doing so).

nbr3bagshotrow
05-07-2015, 01:26 PM
Doesn't look anything like Bowen's to me.

Also, I like the clentched fists as it is him being furious with Spidey and rilled up at his terrible jokes :P.

Now if he had like a santa bag of goodies or something as if this was from a heist then I could understand an open hand (as the switch out from the gun, the left would be the hand holding the bag, or maybe a tentacle doing so).
Agree. This even has the more mechanical looking arms like in the movie while the Bowen arms are more cylindrical with small "fingers". Again, Bowen? Just don't see any similarities other than they both show doc as chubby, which he was.

Lawnknome
05-07-2015, 03:32 PM
I am so jacked for this Spidey rogue line. Only one I am on the fence about is Kraven.

Sharkey
05-07-2015, 03:37 PM
I am so jacked for this Spidey rogue line. Only one I am on the fence about is Kraven.

The Kraven and Mysterio are the ones I am most Psyched for! I can't freakin wait to see what amazingness XM comes up with for Hob and Green Goblin and Electro or Shocker!

Smooth Criminal
05-07-2015, 04:47 PM

I'm in the same boat just don't really care for him that's all, well not enough to spend that much but may cave in to have all the villians

Fouad
05-07-2015, 06:22 PM
i like the new pose a lot better aswell and i totally agree on a switch out hand with a money bag :) i will will get spiderman serie for sure :D

DaviDPereira
05-07-2015, 06:38 PM
i like the new pose a lot better aswell and i totally agree on a switch out hand with a money bag :) i will will get spiderman serie for sure :D

Hi Fouad...ask XM for other new hand..I'll be glad to make it!.

Peedi
05-07-2015, 11:29 PM
The Kraven and Mysterio are the ones I am most Psyched for! I can't freakin wait to see what amazingness XM comes up with for Hob and Green Goblin and Electro or Shocker!

This.

I'm least excited for Oc, I prefer the cylinder tentacles and the bottom tentacle poses are stiff and awkward looking to me. I wonder if they're using metal tentacles to hold the weight of this?

But Kraven and Mysterious look awesome...these prices though...but I want.

Yes to GG, Hob, Electro and Shocker.

Bmutha
05-07-2015, 11:35 PM
M only critique of the current Wip's is that it looks too much like he is jumping. I don't picture Doc Ock as a particularly athletic guy.

His octopus arms should look like they are doing the lifting. Straightening the legs to a more relaxed position (but still suspended) would look great, in my opinion.

Bmutha
05-08-2015, 12:21 AM
This.

I'm least excited for Oc, I prefer the cylinder tentacles and the bottom tentacle poses are stiff and awkward looking to me. I wonder if they're using metal tentacles to hold the weight of this?

But Kraven and Mysterious look awesome...these prices though...but I want.

Yes to GG, Hob, Electro and Shocker.

I say YES to all Spidey villains.

And I'm with you, dude, Mysterio is mega-news for me...been waiting a long time for a Mysterio.

majestic1
05-08-2015, 04:22 AM
I prefer the cylinder tentacles and the bottom tentacle poses are stiff and awkward looking to me. I wonder if they're using metal tentacles to hold the weight of this?

Yep I much prefer the comic book cylindrical tentacles as well. The Claws on the XM WIP are way too big.

http://i58.tinypic.com/34paozk.jpg

Bullseye
05-08-2015, 04:58 AM
I don't mind the tentacles as its a nod to the movie verse. On reflection I am okay with the arm biceps.

Sharkey
05-08-2015, 08:16 AM
M only critique of the current Wip's is that it looks too much like he is jumping. I don't picture Doc Ock as a particularly athletic guy.

His octopus arms should look like they are doing the lifting. Straightening the legs to a more relaxed position (but still suspended) would look great, in my opinion.

The legs bent is easier in the knees and prepares him to land. With them bent it gives a sense that he has been lifted up and is going over stuff.

Yep I much prefer the comic book cylindrical tentacles as well. The Claws on the XM WIP are way too big.
[...]

I personally love the great power the mechanical ones convey, as opposed to the simple ones from the comic. The comic ones have their place since it is easier to star quickly, but I much prefer the design of the ones from the movie (and on this statue).

AC_808
05-08-2015, 09:14 AM
The comic tentacles has a sense of elegance to them. It's on the side of simplicity making it beautiful.

The movie tentacles has a sense of power to them. Not just their size, but because they're non-cylindrical shape allows you to see twisting and flow.

For me, I'm actually fine with either one. However I don't want Green Goblin going in the movie direction. I don't want this statue to dictate GG away from the comic version. It's a matter of time before XM makes GG and I prefer the comic version.

majestic1
05-08-2015, 09:39 AM
It may be better to have his right foot resting on the top of the girder, it will be a 3rd point of contact to take some weight off the tentacles.

http://i61.tinypic.com/2mris5u.jpg

Love this arrogant hands behind the back pose I found, just needs to have that tentacle holding up a torn Spidey mask, it would be the perfect museum pose -

http://i59.tinypic.com/1628tol.jpg

Bullseye
05-08-2015, 09:41 AM
I prefer XMs pose. Having the mask would take away from the piece especially if these are posed around a Spidey to make one huge dio.

majestic1
05-08-2015, 09:58 AM
It's great that XM and Sideshow are both planning a Sinister Six vs Spidey line, healthy competition between companies means they will both try to out do each other which is fantastic for us.

built2shred
05-08-2015, 11:39 AM
I think the latest WIP look awesome... having the bent knees gives it the illusion that he's moving across the ruble. It also gives him more of an action pose were if his legs were just straight down it would be more of an museum pose.

loricstone
05-08-2015, 04:55 PM
Agree. This even has the more mechanical looking arms like in the movie while the Bowen arms are more cylindrical with small "fingers". Again, Bowen? Just don't see any similarities other than they both show doc as chubby, which he was.

Exactly.

loricstone
05-08-2015, 04:57 PM

Don't know if that would work on an engineering level. That is just a guess though.

Sharkey
05-08-2015, 05:40 PM
Exactly.

Also, this one has mechanical arms and is male. JUST LIKE THE BOWEN! Omg I have learned the truth! They are after me! :vortex:

Gollum
05-17-2015, 09:49 AM
1/4 scale DR octopus color render....
Thanks to David.P for the awesome sculp....

Great new photo on XM facebook page

https://www.facebook.com/xmstudios

Lawnknome
05-17-2015, 11:08 AM
Not a fan of the blue pants. I want classic Ok with green.

TethMau74
05-17-2015, 11:23 AM
I see they added the bags of money as well as changed the base. Not sure about the different colors for the outfit.

https://scontent-atl.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xap1/v/t1.0-9/11222533_1550762988477728_951171305976760379_n.jpg?oh=fc2f903dc703b34b5ec1e2bdeb629a48&oe=56005534

GrumpyBear
05-17-2015, 11:23 AM
"1/4 scale DR octopus color render....
Thanks to David.P for the awesome sculp...." XM FB

https://scontent-fra.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xap1/v/t1.0-9/11222533_1550762988477728_951171305976760379_n.jpg?oh=fc2f903dc703b34b5ec1e2bdeb629a48&oe=56005534

loricstone
05-17-2015, 11:35 AM
Bad ass Doc Ock. I THINK I'm Ok with the blue pants but I would really like to see different colors on the render. Right now, I'm thinking either green pants (not tights) or brown pants. This looking like another bonafide hit from XM. Something about XM's style on their statues that I absolutely adore.

Great stuff.

Smooth Criminal
05-17-2015, 12:05 PM
I'm hoping for green pants with yellow boots for classic feel

SDguy
05-17-2015, 12:12 PM
Maybe it's just the angle, but do the two arms holding him up look a tad short?

majestic1
05-17-2015, 12:44 PM
Don't like the trousers at all, it looks like he's wearing Levi jeans over his Green costume. Just stick with the classic colors please XM.

AC_808
05-17-2015, 01:11 PM
The base is a bank vault door. I'm guessing he ripped it off the vault. Very creative!

I don't mind the blue pants ...but I don't mind it being green either. Either way is fine.

SONICobra
05-17-2015, 01:12 PM
i think the green pants would look better as well, especially if they go with yellow boots like that. base is awesome :buttrock: my only concern would be what the money is going to look like, will they use decals for the faces of all those bills? at 1/4 scale you cant just paint them green and be done with it

loricstone
05-17-2015, 01:21 PM
Don't like the trousers at all, it looks like he's wearing Levi jeans over his Green costume. Just stick with the classic colors please XM.

I like the jeans look but I agree with the classic colors. Dark Green pants and yellow boots.

loricstone
05-17-2015, 01:22 PM
i think the green pants would look better as well, especially if they go with yellow boots like that. base is awesome :buttrock: my only concern would be what the money is going to look like, will they use decals for the faces of all those bills? at 1/4 scale you cant just paint them green and be done with it

XM is going to go all out and include real $20 bills on the base. :)

AC_808
05-17-2015, 01:30 PM
Ha! You wish! :laugh:

Shadowfax
05-17-2015, 01:44 PM
Really nice overall concept but ya, those jeans have to go

skillet
05-17-2015, 01:53 PM
XM is going to go all out and include real $20 bills on the base. :)

They're going to be SGD bills

ambasah
05-17-2015, 01:54 PM
I don't like the blue pants at all.

Also, is his foot resting on something or is it just the angle of the pic.

Personally, I wish his "tentacles" were a lot longer.

skillet
05-17-2015, 02:05 PM
I don't like the blue pants at all.

Also, is his foot resting on something or is it just the angle of the pic.

Personally, I wish his "tentacles" were a lot longer.

His real feet? I think those are two money bags in the background, spilling over with money.

Peedi
05-17-2015, 02:15 PM

I agree. I get updating looks and making them modern and I don't need the exact comic look but this is too far from the sensibilities of the comic. Having him in jeans makes him look too much like some generic thug who found a harness rather than the actual super villain, the criminal mastermind who in the past few years gave the FF and Avengers a run for their money and took down Spider-Man, but oh well. I like the tweaks to the pose now, it looks good, but not the details.

I see they added the bags of money as well as changed the base. Not sure about the different colors for the outfit.

https://scontent-atl.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xap1/v/t1.0-9/11222533_1550762988477728_951171305976760379_n.jpg?oh=fc2f903dc703b34b5ec1e2bdeb629a48&oe=56005534

Peedi
05-17-2015, 03:06 PM
It might be unfair, and I didn't even attempt to get the statue but Magneto set the standard for me on how to modernize classic costumes.

I'd still rather not see the harness and have cyclinder tentacles but green pants would help this a lot. Also, these are minor details but if the boots, belt, gloves and top of the shirt were orange/yellow it would also put it closer to being a Modernized version of the Classic Doc Oc.

The body type, hair and pose are there. Still a good statue, just a few things are off to me.

http://www.spiderfan.org/characters/images/doctor_octopus1/doctor_octopus1007.jpg

Sharkey
05-17-2015, 05:45 PM
He is a bit low is he not? Shouldn't the tentacles be raising him higher? They look short...

Also, yea I dunno how I feel about the harness, but the pants are really throwing me off.

built2shred
05-17-2015, 08:11 PM
I agree. I get updating looks and making them modern and I don't need the exact comic look but this is too far from the sensibilities of the comic. Having him in jeans makes him look too much like some generic thug who found a harness rather than the actual super villain, the criminal mastermind who in the past few years gave the FF and Avengers a run for their money and took down Spider-Man, but oh well. I like the tweaks to the pose now, it looks good, but not the details.

If they made his pants green to match his top it would be perfect IMO.

The General
05-17-2015, 08:50 PM
It might be unfair, and I didn't even attempt to get the statue but Magneto set the standard for me on how to modernize classic costumes.

I'd still rather not see the harness and have cyclinder tentacles but green pants would help this a lot. Also, these are minor details but if the boots, belt, gloves and top of the shirt were orange/yellow it would also put it closer to being a Modernized version of the Classic Doc Oc.

The body type, hair and pose are there. Still a good statue, just a few things are off to me.

http://www.spiderfan.org/characters/images/doctor_octopus1/doctor_octopus1007.jpg

I agree. Pants should be green IMO.

madmanny
05-17-2015, 09:03 PM
i just want classic colors, not this summer holiday bulls~t

XMAN
05-17-2015, 10:00 PM
Pants need to be Green....please.

drkknight65
05-17-2015, 10:04 PM
yes green pants would look way better, the height that the tentacles are holding him up are not that important IMO.. as long as he's off the ground.

Fouad
05-18-2015, 07:14 AM
yes green pants would look way better, the height that the tentacles are holding him up are not that important IMO.. as long as he's off the ground.

:iagree:

SDguy
05-18-2015, 07:23 AM
the height that the tentacles are holding him up are not that important IMO.. as long as he's off the ground.

... and they are the same length as the other two tentacles :)

Fouad
05-18-2015, 08:02 AM

the only thing i dislike about this is the money bags on the ground, they look like a woman's purse :P since he just ripped off a vaults door wouldnt it be better to have the old fashion money sacks? and instead of all the bills on the floor just have a few of those money sacks with the dollar sign on them it would also prevent them from having to use decals on the bills :)

Mamba
05-18-2015, 09:22 AM
^^ yeah 100% agree, the purse need to go, other than that amazing.

majestic1
05-18-2015, 10:20 AM
Yep, lose the purse and add some Gold bullions scattered around the base with the money

Demona
05-18-2015, 11:23 AM
This piece is shaping up nicely.

I don't have a horse in this race, but green pants would look nicer.

Everytime I look at this I get so worried about the weight issue. A whole body is only held on by that joint in the back of the harness, right? Even if you shove metal rods thru that, can't it lean over time, or bend?

Lawnknome
05-18-2015, 11:25 AM
I would love the classic comic money bags to be used. Have a switch out arm carrying it by the top of the sack. Then have like one or two on the base. Would look great.

toe
05-18-2015, 11:37 AM
yeah, not feeling it. Too Bowen-like pose. Pass for me.

Thor57
05-18-2015, 12:03 PM
That's not a purse. It's what money transport bags look like. They don't look like round bags with a dollar sign on them anymore lol.

Lawnknome
05-18-2015, 12:50 PM
That's not a purse. It's what money transport bags look like. They don't look like round bags with a dollar sign on them anymore lol.

We understand that I think. I just like the thought of the cartoony bags, just to hold over some of the comic world.

acme1982
05-18-2015, 01:55 PM

I like the new concept of Doc Oc XM, Pereira has making a great statue. I did this sketch a few months ago and I think that Doc Oc it's better taking money bags.

StringKeyRhythm
05-18-2015, 02:28 PM
^awesome concept!

Smooth Criminal
05-18-2015, 03:40 PM
been waiting a long time for spidey villains, Esp a true 1/4 hobgoblin, I'm so happy XM is doing the Spidey villains cant wait to see kingpin!

Fouad
05-18-2015, 05:36 PM

yes it is pretty obvious that it doesn't look like that in real life lol but in real life doc oc doesn't exist :P so i don't see why it wouldn't work :D

StringKeyRhythm
05-18-2015, 10:05 PM
edit.

entrari
05-18-2015, 11:55 PM
Hope XM gets this right. The sculpt itself is looking good. It's just the pose and the blue pants along with that huge harness and the tentacles that are looking off right now. I really want my Sinister Six and I hope XM will be giving them a common theme for the bases. It would be a great plus for displaying.

SONICobra
05-19-2015, 12:01 AM
as others have suggested I think if they were able to incorporate the tentacles a little more, have them interact with the environment instead of just propping him up - it would take the piece to a new level

StringKeyRhythm
05-19-2015, 12:25 AM
It's a good concept but I think there's still plenty of room for pushing this piece to its potential. It's missing that WOW factor that XM is generally known for.

qz33
05-29-2015, 12:54 PM
Maybe a little inspiration.

http://www.sideshowtoy.com/mas_assets/jpg/900817_press01-001.jpg

AlbertR213
05-29-2015, 04:39 PM
To me most of the wow factor is in the quality so I'm guessing it won't be missing that whenever it ends up reaching people's hands.

It's a good concept but I think there's still plenty of room for pushing this piece to its potential. It's missing that WOW factor that XM is generally known for.

StringKeyRhythm
05-29-2015, 07:50 PM
To me most of the wow factor is in the quality so I'm guessing it won't be missing that whenever it ends up reaching people's hands.

Oh that definitely won't be missing! I am fully confident that XM will deliver on the paint app. My concern is more about the blueprint in general. It just feels somewhat uninspired. Or perhaps I've set the standard a tad high with some of the grails that this company has released/revealed so far. Is that a bad thing? :thinking:

Cougrcrumby
05-29-2015, 11:25 PM
Oh that definitely won't be missing! I am fully confident that XM will deliver on the paint app. My concern is more about the blueprint in general. It just feels somewhat uninspired. Or perhaps I've set the standard a tad high with some of the grails that this company has released/revealed so far. Is that a bad thing? :thinking:

I would just throw out the comment Of be careful with the uninspired word. That can tend to really piss off the digital sculptor. Im sure that a lot thought and work has gone into the design. I remember back in the day when Randy Bowen would ask for opinions and peeps would say similar things. ..he'd just get pissed off and stop taking feedback..and just finish the sculpture the way he wanted.

StringKeyRhythm
05-29-2015, 11:49 PM
I would just throw out the comment Of be careful with the uninspired word. That can tend to really piss off the digital sculptor. Im sure that a lot thought and work has gone into the design. I remember back in the day when Randy Bowen would ask for opinions and peeps would say similar things. ..he'd just get pissed off and stop taking feedback..and just finish the sculpture the way he wanted.

Perhaps "uninspired" may be too strong of a word. My point is that XM and the sculptor can definitely take this piece further. :)

entrari
05-30-2015, 07:28 AM
Yep. This just isn't there yet. Great piece but I agree that it lacks the Wow factor.

Mr. Nice Guy
05-30-2015, 11:45 AM
I think this piece is almost as wow factor as you can make the doc.

Tentacles: they're menacing and big. Not weeny cylindrical tubes with pinchers. Sometimes classic isn't the best option. I would love to see one of them holding something like a bag of cash. Would be a great option to have a switch out tentacle gripper.

Expression: his expression is perfect. That's Ock.

Outfit: I agree about the statements re the pants but other than that it's solid.

Pose: very dynamic. The tentacles hoisting him up gives him a menacing presence and some height.

The piece: great switch out option. The doc isn't a frequent shooter but the fact that it's some kind of futuristic piece makes me think it's not a conventional gat. Probably shrinks ppl or something.

Fat: thanks for cutting back on the belly from the original.

Base: great job. Very classic concept.

Overall, very well done. I think you've taken this piece in a great direction.

Edit: I take back my comment about the tentacle carrying the cash. It looks great as it is. I'm seeing the context as if he was on the way out the bank and all of a sudden is met with opposition. He's had to drop the bags and get ready to whoop a$$.

loricstone
05-30-2015, 02:15 PM
Yep. This just isn't there yet. Great piece but I agree that it lacks the Wow factor.

I vociferously disagree. I think it absolutely has that WOW factor!

Just because a few people here don't think it has a wow factor doesn't mean others agree and vice versa to be fair to you.

Now to your credit...it's not finished and XM already noted it is a WIP....so I am sure the finished product will be AMAZING. There is time to make necessary changes if need be...but if it was released as is I would be ecstatic with it.

entrari
05-30-2015, 02:20 PM
Well I'm in whether it gets changed or not. But for me it's. It like what they did with Kraven. Now that lion to me truly was a pleasant surprise. I just wonder how much better this would be with really dynamic looping and extended tentacles.

loricstone
05-30-2015, 02:33 PM
I hear you on that Entrari. But IIRC, they said they are futzing with the top two tentacles be poseable how you like. So we will see. Gonna be a while before we do though I suspect.:(

Mr. Nice Guy
05-30-2015, 11:09 PM
Great looking piece. A few suggestions...

1 suspend: his tentacles should look more like they're doing the lifting. Get one boot off the ground that gives the illusion he's being hoisted upward.
2. No gun: drop the piece. Give him an old school money bag. Switch out hand?
3. Spread your legs: space out the tentacles. Like Chris Walken would say... "Explore the space".
4. Expression: give his face some expression. Switch out head?
5. Accentuate the base: a defining feature of Ock is his intellect and tech inventions. That said, I'd drop about 5 small spider bots on the base.
6. Give him a stash: get his tentacles carrying something. Fire hydrant? Money bags? Manhole cover?
7. Diet: he's a little too fat.

I posted this right when I saw the first concept and I have to say they followed up on most of it. I love the changes and I agree this piece is a definite winner.

entrari
06-02-2015, 02:49 PM
Well I'm definitely in on the Kraven piece so I do hope they show us an update soon. With these two pieces I'll be all in on the Sinister Six.

majestic1
06-02-2015, 04:36 PM
Well I'm definitely in on the Kraven piece so I do hope they show us an update soon. With these two pieces I'll be all in on the Sinister Six.

Don't forget Mysterio :thumbs2:

https://scontent-iad.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xap1/v/t1.0-9/s720x720/11205018_1544338725786821_4949379299400606500_n.jpg?oh=1a675cf10c22b19c0922a3402fd9c4d2&oe=55D86227

ALPH4T34M
06-02-2015, 04:41 PM
Not sold on Doc Oc yet but that Mysterio concept looks awesome!

SuperJ300
07-03-2015, 06:08 PM
Everything looks great to me, it will look good along with Mysterio.

entrari
07-04-2015, 04:27 AM
Ok. So we've got Doc Ock, Kraven, Mysterio, and Sandman. Who do you want for the last two slots? I want Vulture and Lizard or Scorpion. Already have the SS Hob so he can come in last. Almost forgot Electro. He should be next. Him and Vulture for me?

Cali604
07-04-2015, 05:45 AM
Ok. So we've got Doc Ock, Kraven, Mysterio, and Sandman. Who do you want for the last two slots? I want Vulture and Lizard or Scorpion. Already have the SS Hob so he can come in last. Almost forgot Electro. He should be next. Him and Vulture for me?

Rhino

majestic1
07-04-2015, 06:09 AM
Hobgoblin

AC_808
07-04-2015, 06:53 AM
Carnage to complete the set.

Peedi
07-04-2015, 08:54 AM
For those that prefer an actual Sinister Six line up...

Original Team

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/d/dc/AMZ-Ann1.jpg https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/e/e0/Member_of_the_Sinister_Six.jpg/371px-Member_of_the_Sinister_Six.jpg

"Return of the Sinister Six": Hobgoblin replaced Kraven after the suicide.

http://static.comicvine.com/uploads/scale_small/11/117763/2900569-amazing_spider_man__337___page_1.jpg

"Revenge of the Sinister Six": Gog replaced Sandman after Sandman became a superhero...but who really wants a Gog? Lol

http://spiderman.erictoribio.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/23-_Revenge-of-the-Sinister-Six_-Part-Six-Confrontation_.jpg

"Return of the Sinister Six" (again)
Sandman came back and replaced Gog, Venom replaced Doc Oc (dead at the time), new Kraven (Kraven's Mutant son) replaced Hobgoblin. Probably one inspiration for Jamie Foxx's Electro look. Venom bit Sandman, new Kraven wasn't much of a bad guy and they broke up after this one outing.

http://images-cdn.moviepilot.com/image/upload/c_fill,h_436,w_560/t_mp_quality/producers-talk-sinister-six-and-venom-as-heroes-jpeg-48475.jpg

My personal favorite roster from a couple of years ago...Chameleon and Rhino replaced Vulture and the extra spot. This roster outsmarted the FF, outfought the Avengers and held the world ransom...serious team here.

http://www.blastr.com/sites/blastr/files/styles/content_panes_media/public/2265735-sinister_six.jpg?itok=bGWEeK78

ambasah
07-04-2015, 11:54 AM
vulture and electro for me please : )

loricstone
07-04-2015, 04:06 PM
All of them Ent. My most wanted are Rhino and Electro with the cool as Classic lightning head ornament.

entrari
07-04-2015, 04:43 PM
I'm ok with the SS Rhino so I wanna see something else. I imagine an Electro by XM would just be awesome considering the effects they could do.

GaryTonge
08-06-2015, 01:46 PM
Any updates on this piece guys? Is there an image of the final sculpt yet?

Thanks you!

GrumpyBear
08-06-2015, 02:30 PM
I think if we come closer to STGCC we will see more from different statues.

KELPIE
08-06-2015, 07:45 PM
The Shocker and The Beetle please.

https://mallsurfer.files.wordpress.com/2013/11/141905-54981-shocker.jpg

http://img3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20120806225813/marveldatabase/images/b/b2/807541-beetle_2_super.jpg

majestic1
08-22-2015, 12:16 PM
Looks like they may have changed the tentacles to the classic cylindrical design, I much prefer these than the over-sized tentacles from the original WIP pic.

From the STGCC preview page.

http://i59.tinypic.com/jhzexg.jpg

ScootS
09-12-2015, 08:57 PM
http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c312/sScootSs/STGCC2015/DSC_0071_zpsbfkixz4w.jpg (http://s30.photobucket.com/user/sScootSs/media/STGCC2015/DSC_0071_zpsbfkixz4w.jpg.html) http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c312/sScootSs/STGCC2015/DSC_0036_zpsvdwgrcm8.jpg (http://s30.photobucket.com/user/sScootSs/media/STGCC2015/DSC_0036_zpsvdwgrcm8.jpg.html) http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c312/sScootSs/STGCC2015/DSC_0215_zpsjqjxzrnn.jpg (http://s30.photobucket.com/user/sScootSs/media/STGCC2015/DSC_0215_zpsjqjxzrnn.jpg.html)

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c312/sScootSs/STGCC2015/DSC_0217_zps6ym5rpdv.jpg (http://s30.photobucket.com/user/sScootSs/media/STGCC2015/DSC_0217_zps6ym5rpdv.jpg.html) http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c312/sScootSs/STGCC2015/DSC_0064_zpszcrj3bc7.jpg (http://s30.photobucket.com/user/sScootSs/media/STGCC2015/DSC_0064_zpszcrj3bc7.jpg.html)

GaryTonge
09-12-2015, 09:52 PM
Looks awesome! Too bad I have no chance of getting this. I hope Sideshow's version is as good.

SideShowJoe
09-12-2015, 10:54 PM
Looks awesome! Too bad I have no chance of getting this. I hope Sideshow's version is as good.

:rolleyes::tumblew::confused2

AlbertR213
09-12-2015, 11:00 PM
Oh boy, that would meaning waiting until 2017-2018....if it even is being made at all.

Comicbookguy
09-12-2015, 11:08 PM
The Shocker and The Beetle please.

https://mallsurfer.files.wordpress.com/2013/11/141905-54981-shocker.jpg

http://img3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20120806225813/marveldatabase/images/b/b2/807541-beetle_2_super.jpg

:goodpost: two ss never made after so long. XM will help out :)

Yeah if you want a circle plain base and a standing calm pose. Along with a few repaints of the same character, barely any switch out parts,,and going through a lottery to hope for the best when it arrives with chances of no replacements even after getting the statue for 2 days. recently the ex is kind of lame imo, and a massive ES. But who knows anything is possible. i can't rule it out totally right? I agree some of the ss stuff is superb but most now are only so-so after seeing XM imo.

RossMcCollector
09-12-2015, 11:37 PM
This is going to be one of the most wanted on my list, but my list is big lol

http://i1208.photobucket.com/albums/cc363/supa78/XmSpideyVillainsCollage_zps3qhtc1wd.jpg

AlbertR213
09-12-2015, 11:41 PM
Sounds like you already have :rolleyes:

But hey I'm just glad I've never received anything from Slideshow that looked like it was tossed off the ship first for a little swim.

Yeah if you want a circle plain base and a standing calm pose. Along with a few repaints of the same character, barley any switch out parts,,and going through a lottery to hope for the best when it arrives with chances of no replacements even after getting the statue for 2 days. recently the ex is kind of lame imo, and a massive ES. But who knows anything is possible. i can't rule it out totally right? I agree some of the ss stuff is superb but most now are only so-so after seeing XM imo.

loricstone
09-13-2015, 12:19 AM

http://i1208.photobucket.com/albums/cc363/supa78/XmSpideyVillainsCollage_zps3qhtc1wd.jpg

It's a damn shame that XM probably has a bigger Marvel roster (more character choices) in 3 years than SS has in 10

Comicbookguy
09-13-2015, 12:27 AM
It's a damn shame that XM probably has a bigger Marvel roster (more character choices) in 3 years than SS has in 10

Lol exactly I can't even keep up its like we get a New preview every few weeks of a new statue or more like serveral statues. Great but I just can't keep up.

loricstone
09-13-2015, 01:31 AM
Lol exactly I can't even keep up its like we get a New preview every few weeks of a new statue or more like serveral statues. Great but I just can't keep up.

This is how SS should have been with the Blizzard WoW license they had for 8 years. 8 years and only 4 statues??? SMH.

kevin2323
09-13-2015, 01:42 AM
This is how SS should have been with the Blizzard WoW license they had for 8 years. 8 years and only 4 statues??? SMH.

that line was such a letdown

Comicbookguy
09-13-2015, 01:46 AM

that line was such a letdown

The QC was a gamble with the ss marvel line. Even my Emma has major issues. XM is keeping the excitement going and it's driving me crazy! So much good stuff coming so fast!

majestic1
09-13-2015, 04:44 AM

That's a great list but I would add this guy as well.

http://i61.tinypic.com/35k4d2t.jpg

Peedi
09-13-2015, 04:46 AM
That's a great list but I would add this guy as well.

http://i61.tinypic.com/35k4d2t.jpg

You looked inside my head and pulled out what I've been wanting. Lol.

frenchyoutoo
09-13-2015, 07:38 AM
Wheres the Carnage love at?

Thor57
09-13-2015, 07:41 AM
Spider-Man fans much be over the moon right now. Grats guys. His line is being done justice to the fullest. I'm not a big enough fan of the overall Spidey universe to justify the cost. That's around 12 thousand dollars for that entire group that doesn't even include a Spider-Man! lol

I need some other villains though! Give me a Loki, give me a Crossbones, Baron Zemo, Malekith, Madarin etc. etc.

GaryTonge
09-13-2015, 09:38 AM

Yeah if you want a circle plain base and a standing calm pose. Along with a few repaints of the same character, barely any switch out parts,,and going through a lottery to hope for the best when it arrives with chances of no replacements even after getting the statue for 2 days. recently the ex is kind of lame imo, and a massive ES. But who knows anything is possible. i can't rule it out totally right? I agree some of the ss stuff is superb but most now are only so-so after seeing XM imo.

Does the Spidey PF have a plain base and standing calm pose? I think you're confusing this line with the Xmen PFs. As long as the basic statue is nice I'm not worried about the number of switch outs. As far as ES goes, doesn't bother me in the least especially since I never sell my pieces.

Are you getting any of the XM pieces? If so, what's your source I'd love to know as well. I actually want to buy these but they're almost impossible to get imported into NA.

Just curious, but are you the same CBG from the freaks board?I'm surprised that you're pursuing XM pieces because the don't have coupon codes. ;)

Mr. Nice Guy
09-13-2015, 11:15 AM

Very true. It is unfortunate that had SS launched this line we would probably see MJ, black cat and venom four times over as opposed to this nice array of characters. I love SS but they do not venture into these lines deep enough and tend to stick with the female characters all too often.

I reckon Vulture will be along soon to complete the original 6. Although not a very exciting character versus modern standards, I'm curious as to how XM will recreate his wings and incorporate them into one of their premium bases.

Last note, I believe it would be amiss to not have Shocker, hobgoblin, and Carnage among the rogues. I think XM may be launching too much too fast as completionists will not be able to keep up with this line but perhaps we'll see these three down the road.