PDA

View Full Version : Any tips on protecting signature on Canvas Print?

Bullseye
02-15-2015, 12:40 PM
Any of you guys got any tips on protecting a signature on a canvas print?

Sithlord32
02-15-2015, 02:33 PM
Can you add some specifics? It is actual paint on canvas or is it a image printed on canvas?

Bullseye
02-15-2015, 03:14 PM
It's a sharpie pen signature on a canvas print. I don't want to use glass if at all possible.

Luminous
02-15-2015, 03:52 PM
Wish I could help, but I haven't framed a canvas print yet.

MONSTER
02-15-2015, 03:56 PM
Don't touch it.

Sithlord32
02-15-2015, 04:23 PM
Well it being just a print on canvas glass is a safe method as it wont hurt the print or the signature any. If it was paint I wouldn't worry much about it as it will last but i have seen oil paintings behind museum glass after the paint has had time to set and fully cure.

Any kind of sealant used on that sharpie your running the risk of it bleeding out as most sealants have chemicals in them that could harm the canvas as well as the signature.

There are companies that do make sealants for that type of application but you'd have to research them to find about the quality and and process of application to avoid things like air bubbles etc...Sorry I dont have any specific first hand knowledge of any of these.

I guess I would research the sealants and various ways of applications for them if you do not want the glass though museum glass would be my first choice if your really worried about the signature.

Sharpies are semi permanent ink which when dry shouldn't be a cause for concern. The sig will fade gradually with exposure to air and light along with the print itself but it will not dissapear or rubb off of canvas. I have a print on gloss paper with a sharpie signature that went unframed for quite a while and after it was dry ive never had a problem with it smudging or the like but yeah like monster said just dont touch it.