PDA

View Full Version : Help in the Alhambra, CA area?

TheYoungWolf
03-08-2015, 07:41 PM
It's a long shot, but I was hoping that someone in the area would be willing to do a fellow member a huge favor. Gallery Nucleus is hosting an event in honor of Avatar: the Last Airbender/The Legend of Korra. There's a print being sold exclusively at the gallery that I'd like to pick up. Only 100 were made, and it's unclear if they've all been sold. As much as I'd like to confirm whether or not that's the case, to avoid wasting anyone's time, I unfortunately have no one to contact about the matter.

Admission to the gallery is $5. I'd be more than happy to compensate for the cost of admission, the print itself as well as a nice extra for going through the trouble.

EXHIBITION LOCATION:
Nucleus
210 E. Main Street
Alhambra, CA 91801

Their Facebook page says they're open from 12pm to 8pm; they'll be reopening on Tuesday.

It would be greatly appreciated. Thanks a ton in advance.

TheStig88
03-08-2015, 08:21 PM
+1. I'd be very interested if anyone managed to pick one (or two) up as well (obviously hook up TYW first :)). Those ebay prices are getting absolutely nuts. Got the feeling this is going to be a rough one to get in the collection though. What I wouldn't give for a release on the Nickelodeon store or if they had released a certain amount on the gallery site.

TheYoungWolf
03-09-2015, 12:58 AM
The desperation is strong.

Threw a pretty generous bid into the hat and quite literally got trampled on. I'm in complete awe that that seller just walked away with almost two grand between the two prints.. It's safe to assume that any chances of picking this up for a reasonable price on eBay are out the window.

I'm gonna see if I can get through to somebody over at the gallery to inquire about the likelihood of a second, unnumbered/unsigned edition. Scrambling for some hope here.

I'll keep you updated if I hear/see anything of note, Stig.

TheStig88
03-09-2015, 04:34 AM
$910, $810 and a BIN for $840. :jawd: Could have booked a flight out there and gone to the gallery myself for that kind of money.

Thought they might end around six, which I might have managed, but that... I don't think so. Guess I'm not really all that surprised given the subject matter of the print, but damn. The Korra(sami) fans have some deep pockets.

Anyways, please do. Might get lucky yet.

EnShinNoi
03-09-2015, 04:38 AM
$910, $810 and a BIN for $840. :jawd: Could have booked a flight out there and gone to the gallery myself for that kind of money.

Thought they might end around six, which I might have managed, but that... I don't think so. Guess I'm not really all that surprised given the subject matter of the print, but damn. The Korra(sami) fans have some deep pockets.

This is the reason why those prices don't surprise me at all.

Luminous
03-09-2015, 11:35 AM
Anyone have a link to an image? Curious to see what the fuss is about.

TheStig88
03-09-2015, 01:43 PM
Don't know if you watch the show, but it's a bit of a spoiler, as a heads up.

Only official art of Korra and Asami as a couple. Hence, price.

http://i.imgur.com/WfolpqU.jpg

TheYoungWolf
03-09-2015, 03:02 PM

Seriously. It's such a bummer :(

I guess it's worth noting that this is their first print that was heavily publicized among current event sites online (no doubt, due to the implications of Korrasami) prior to the actual opening, so nearly everyone was aware of it beforehand.

Six is probably where I'd draw the line as well. Put in an offer of $550 for that one priced at $1500 or Best Offer and was promptly declined.. If we're lucky, we'll start to see some more manageable prices when the craziness of the event dies down. Seems overly optimistic, but hey.

Their wording of "First released.." in the item description gives me just enough hope that those who couldn't attend may still have a shot.

Luminous
03-09-2015, 03:15 PM
Don't know if you watch the show, but it's a bit of a spoiler, as a heads up.

Only official art of Korra and Asami as a couple. Hence, price.

http://i.imgur.com/WfolpqU.jpg

I'm actually waiting for the last season to hit Blu-ray to catch up. Unfortunately this little detail was already spoiled for me by another site.

So is the subject matter the big draw here? It's a nice image but these prices are absolutely ridiculous.

TheStig88
03-09-2015, 03:29 PM
I'm actually waiting for the last season to hit Blu-ray to catch up. Unfortunately this little detail was already spoiled for me by another site.

So is the subject matter the big draw here? It's a nice image but these prices are absolutely ridiculous.Same thing happened to me while waiting to watch up as well heh. But yes, subject matter is most definitely the draw, and speaking of prices, one of the two currently up for auction just spiked to $1500. $1500. Very curious to see if that ends up a legit sale.

Anyways, hope you're right TYW. Been keeping an eye on the numbers on the prints that pop up on ebay. Maybe they're saving 50 for a web release.:praying:

TheYoungWolf
03-09-2015, 08:36 PM
Unfortunately, I saw a #60 in the completed/sold listings.. for $1500, of course.

Frustrating.

TheStig88
03-09-2015, 09:25 PM
Yeah, saw that a little while ago. So much for that (admittedly far fetched) hope. Might be early in the hunt, but I'm starting to feel like I have about as much chance at owning this one as the Korra and Naga print from SDCC 2011. Having a tough time seeing this one stabilizing at a price I can swallow.

TheYoungWolf
03-10-2015, 07:11 PM
Likewise. Just got off the phone with a rep at Nucleus and she confirmed that they were sold out entirely. As content as I'd be with a non-limited reissue, that seems equally unlikely. Keeping the hope alive until the bitter end though.

In the mean time, I might just try to soften the blow by picking up a few fan pieces from the event.

TheStig88
03-10-2015, 09:17 PM
Nothing to do but settle in for the long haul and keep on looking.

jye318
03-10-2015, 09:28 PM
I am near but don't have time :(

TheStig88
03-10-2015, 09:35 PM
They're all long gone jye, so don't worry about it. :) I'm sure they had sold through in the first hour after the exhibition had opened.

Luminous
03-17-2015, 09:27 PM
So I finally finished watching season 4. Did I miss something? Potential spoiler question below (although I don't think it actually spoils anything):

How is everyone perceiving the ending as the beginning of a lesbian relationship? It was pretty clear to me that they simply cared for each other as friends. That this show didn't force the cliche of ending the series with it's protagonist in a relationship. I can see some female empowerment in there, but I don't see ANY hint of THAT kind of love between Korra and Asami.

TheYoungWolf
03-18-2015, 01:24 AM
So I finally finished watching season 4. Did I miss something? Potential spoiler question below (although I don't think it actually spoils anything):

How is everyone perceiving the ending as the beginning of a lesbian relationship? It was pretty clear to me that they simply cared for each other as friends. That this show didn't force the cliche of ending the series with it's protagonist in a relationship. I can see some female empowerment in there, but I don't see ANY hint of THAT kind of love between Korra and Asami.

http://bryankonietzko.tumblr.com/post/105916338157/korrasami-is-canon-you-can-celebrate-it-embrace

Luminous
03-18-2015, 01:43 AM
http://bryankonietzko.tumblr.com/post/105916338157/korrasami-is-canon-you-can-celebrate-it-embrace

Yeah, I read all about that. It still doesn't make sense within the context of the story presented to the viewer. I don't care what the creators "intentions" were. If they don't include it within the story we are viewing then it didn't happen. When this little detail about season 4 was spoiled for me earlier in the year I completely accepted it. I saw how it could make sense and I thought it could work. As I got closer and closer to the final episode all I could think of was "Are they just going to shoe horn this detail in at the last minute? There has been ZERO exposition about how this could unfold. When are they going to at least start the conversation?". It never happened.

Think of it this way. If the creators never said ANYTHING about this and just let the finale be interpreted on it's own by everyone who watched it, we simply wouldn't be having this conversation. Sure someone would have suggested it given the final shot of the episode, but no way in hell would it have gotten this sort of traction. The creators simply failed to convey this detail of their story. Whether that is due to interference from Nickelodeon or not, the whole thing is as ambiguous as it could possibly get. I feel that the creators coming out about it and discussing it in such detail after the series ended does such a HUGE disservice to their characters. They should have just kept their mouths shut.

TheYoungWolf
03-18-2015, 06:57 AM
No need to shoot the messenger; simply providing the source in which the intent was confirmed. Infer what you will.

Speaking for myself, I'm entirely satisfied with the way the show ended (both before and after the official statement) and have zero desire to argue the merit behind it.

Luminous
03-18-2015, 11:10 AM
No need to shoot the messenger; simply providing the source in which the intent was confirmed. Infer what you will.

Speaking for myself, I'm entirely satisfied with the way the show ended (both before and after the official statement) and have zero desire to argue the merit behind it.

Not sure how you took my post as "shooting the messenger" but okay.... :peoples:

heykool69
03-30-2015, 11:04 AM
Sorry, i came to this thread late. I live about 2 miles away from that shop. I'd never gone in that shop, but i figure it must be withing that busy 3 blocks range. I think they had the Avenger hardcover signing in that same shop couple years ago too.